Quotes of the day

posted at 9:30 pm on October 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

“With power comes accountability. Rep. John Boehner (R-OH) — the man who would most likely be speaker in a Republican House of Representatives — seems to understand that Republicans need to avoid repeating the mistakes they made in 1994 when they lost a standoff with President Clinton over the government shutdown.

“‘I think the American people want us to find a way to work together to address the concerns that face the American people every day. We’re going to drive for a smaller, less costly and more accountable government here in Washington, D.C.,’ Boehner says. ‘And to the extent that we can find common ground in that direction, I would welcome it.’”

***
“While Mr. Obama tirelessly campaigns for Democrats, he said in a recent interview that he sees the prospect of more cooperation from Republicans after the election.

“‘It may be that regardless of what happens, after the election they feel more responsible,’ he said, ‘either because they didn’t do as well as they anticipated, and so the strategy of just saying no to everything and sitting on the sidelines and throwing bombs didn’t work for them, or they did reasonably well, in which case the American people are going to be looking to them to offer serious proposals and work with me in a serious way.’”

***
“Voters see Republicans as unlikely to compromise with the Obama administration if they reclaim either the U.S. House or Senate, a Zogby Poll indicated…

“Pollster John Zogby said the data represented a ‘very troubled outlook for successful governance after the election’ because of polarization.

“‘Half of the voters see gridlock as preferable to allowing Obama and the Democrats more time to see their policies carried through,’ Zogby said. ‘Given the strong opinions of independents on these questions, there appears to be very little middle ground for any politicians who might seek it.’”

***
“‘Look, the time to go along and get along is over,’ said Rep. Mike Pence (Ind.), the chairman of the House Republican Conference. ‘House Republicans know that. We’ve taken firm and principled stands against their big government plans throughout this Congress, and we’ve got, if the American people will send them, we’ve got a cavalry of men and women headed to Washington, D.C. that are going to stand with us.’…

“‘Look, there will be no compromise on stopping runaway spending, deficits and debt. There will be no compromise on repealing Obamacare. There will be no compromise on stopping Democrats from growing government and raising taxes,’ Pence told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt Thursday evening. ‘And if I haven’t been clear enough yet, let me say again: No compromise.’”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The only reason I can see for a conservative to reach across the aisle is to grab Henry Waxman by his scrawny neck and shake the smirk off his face.

Oldnuke on October 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM

That and/or to punch Pete Stark in the mouth.

I’d say something about making a hand puppet out of Grayson, but he’s going back to…whatever the hell he did before his district experienced a temporary case of mass stupidity after this election, so…

SuperCool on October 23, 2010 at 11:12 PM

bluemarlin on October 23, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I rescpect your point But I have to disagree..Even Rush says we have to Stop it First..Then walk it back over time..We can’t just go charging over the hill..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

God Bless America, and God bless American football, NASCAR, post-season MLB, and cornbread.

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM

You forgot chicken fried steak.

darwin-t on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

She would have to wait in line behind the long list of those who “get” it first, and by the time Bachmann would be eligible she might be an insider too.

Bishop on October 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM

That SOP will end on 11/2/10. A new SOP will be implemented in January 2011.

Key West Reader on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

You forgot chicken fried steak.

darwin-t on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

And Football (NFL and College)..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM

How bad does it have to get before those who we elect into office get the message and don’t compromise in order to save this country…?

Seven Percent Solution on October 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM

You forgot chicken fried steak.

darwin-t on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

That’s it. I’m reporting you to Much-elle Food-dame Obama. And she gone kick yo’ azz for sayin’ the word ‘fried’. Ooooooooh! I’mma telllll! Oooooooooh!

Key West Reader on October 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM

And neither does John Boehner – though he does anyway.

HondaV65 on October 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Everyone does not have the internet..You do not need to give MSM no where to take this..Boehner did that!..Boehner put the ball back in Obie’s court and we all know how well that is working out..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

“No compromise.”

There you go, words I needed to hear.”

disa on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

You forgot chicken fried steak.

darwin-t on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

And Football (NFL and College)..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:14 PM

The chicken-fried steak goes without sayin’; I’m pretty sure I got the football in there somewhere.

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

That SOP will end on 11/2/10. A new SOP will be implemented in January 2011.
Key West Reader on October 23, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I don’t know, the good ol’ boy network won’t go down easily, not after one election, and I have a bad feeling that the GOP and ‘rats will find common ground in maintaining that network.

Still too many of the leftist trash are going to be reelected, this is a two front war we are in now.

Bishop on October 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Bishop on October 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM

And we know it’s going to be resolved just the way it’s supposed to be. Invest in binkies. The left will need some semblence of comfort in the days and years to come.

Key West Reader on October 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Most of the rest get Fox News, though. Circumstances have changed since ’94. That’s why the tea party has survived all of their best efforts to destroy it.

FloatingRock on October 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I can’t wait for the Bill Ayers Ojesus sequel:

The Audacity for Ass-hattery.

Coming soon to a trash heap near you!!

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Barry will blame all his failures on the GOP controlled House when he runs for re-election in 2012.

There is a reason why ObamaCare will not be enacted before 2013. It sounds better as a pipe dreams than the real life turkey it will be. Barry will point fingers at the GOP for depriving people health care coverage, and the average Dem voter will buy that without any question.

bayview on October 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM

The Audacity for of Ass-hattery.

Preview, hillbilly.

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Speaking of Football..OU is losing to Mizzou 36-21..Wow!..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Bishop on October 23, 2010 at 11:20 PM

That is my feeling, I do not trust current leadership in either House. If they are leadership now it means they have seniority in the party, hence your good `ol boy network and the same old same old. Pence for and Demint would be good replacements.

bluemarlin on October 23, 2010 at 11:26 PM

FloatingRock on October 23, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I agree Fox News reachs some..But are you sure it reachs a lot of people..Let me jog your memory..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM

FNC and all of the other alternative media outlets including this one are obviously getting the job done or else the tea party wouldn’t be in the position it’s in today.

FloatingRock on October 23, 2010 at 11:31 PM

That’s it for now, before I get hot under the collar…

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM

!!!!Standing Ovation!!!!

Key West Reader on October 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I thank you.

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I agree Fox News reaches some..But are you sure it reaches a lot of people..Let me jog your memory..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

I thought Rush was way to hard on Issa. He has been a stalwart conservative in congress and is one of the good guys. We are in danger of forming a circular firing squad here.

The Opinionator on October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

…combined with other circumstances that help to focus people’s attention, like the economy.

FloatingRock on October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Cornbread, you betcha! And not that sweet crap either. Real country corn bread baked in a greased iron skillet! Served with pinto/navy beans, green onions maybe some fried catfish.

Oldnuke on October 23, 2010 at 11:34 PM

We are in danger of forming a circular firing squad here.

The Opinionator on October 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

scary isn’t it..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:35 PM

The notion that the MSM can hurt us is laughable – it’s a complete myth.

They did not hurt Sarah Palin, and they have been unable to hurt Beta Male Juan Williams.

The MSM has no more credibility other than REVERSE CREDIBILITY – which is to say – that which they endorse is condemned by America and that which they condemn is EMBRACED by America.

Get over the old school thought that the MSM has power – they no longer do.

Also – John Boehner – helluva guy – who MISERABLY LOST THE LAST SUPERBOWL. What needs to be FEARED – more than the MSM – is the fact that we may be about to enter the ultimate superbowl with a previously failed (miserably failed) Quarterback heading our team.

If possible – we need a new guy (or gal) in that spot. If not possible – then John Boehner’s ass needs to be kicked each and every day he wakes up to remind him who the hell he works for.

HondaV65 on October 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM

OT:

The Giants win the pennant. And they’re going crazy . . .

Emperor Norton on October 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM

THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT, THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!!!

darwin-t on October 23, 2010 at 11:44 PM

The Giants win the pennant. And they’re going crazy . . .

Emperor Norton on October 23, 2010 at 11:43 PM

And Oklahoma just lost to Mizzou..I’m Telling November 2nd is going to be special..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:45 PM

yeap its time to take away the keys form the dems and place the rinos in the backseat. The Dc gang needs to understand the adults have arrived to drive the car home after both of them put it in a ditch…

unseen on October 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM

he wakes up to remind him who the hell he works for.

HondaV65 on October 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Bingo! That message needs to be repeated loudly and often and backed up by action.

Oldnuke on October 23, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I think some posters need to read the whole article on Boehner..:)

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I didn’t get past this part of the quote

“‘I think the American people want us to find a way to work together to address the concerns that face the American people every day.’ ”

He lost me right there. I can handle the everyday stuff. I can handle the weekly stuff. Heck, I can handle most of the monthly stuff so stay the eff out of it.

Fighton03 on October 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Even by your theory, that Boehner is trying to recruit the middle, we are actually helping him do so by providing the contrast that he is trying to distance himself from.

So by either theory we are still helping. :)

FloatingRock on October 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Fighton03 on October 23, 2010 at 11:58 PM

That is just standard speak to give MSM no where to take this story..:)..I have no problem with Trust BUT Verify.. I’m just saying that Boehner is solid..His track record will back that up this past term..IMHO..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:07 AM

…Real country corn bread baked in a greased iron skillet!…

Oldnuke on October 23, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Is there any other way?

Around here we call’em soup beans, but my 20 years living in North Carolina they called them pinto beans…

As Shakespeare famously wrote: A soup bean by another name will taste as freakin’ awesome, as long as there’s onions and cornbread. (I’m not absolutely positive that was Shakespeare, but he should have said it if he didn’t).

hillbillyjim on October 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM

So by either theory we are still helping. :)

FloatingRock on October 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM

You may be correct..:)..I’m saying Boehner gave a great answer IMHO..You do not give the MSM no where to go and win as many seats as you can..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM

But “standard speak” suggests “business as usual”, and business as usual is why they got thrown out of office in the first place.

This is a new war and a new landscape. We need to new generals.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM

He is not only a lunatic, he is a fascist lunatic–of the worst kind.

By the way what happened to accusing the Chamber of Commerce of taking foreign money? Oh, never mind.

Dhuka on October 24, 2010 at 12:19 AM

This is a new war and a new landscape. We need to new generals.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Boehner is new..Hastert was Speaker when Republicans controlled the house during Dubya’s term..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Boehner is new..Hastert was Speaker when Republicans controlled the house during Dubya’s terms..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Conservatives have good reason to distrust the Republican party but maybe this time will be different. We’ll have to wait and see.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM

This is the first time in my life as a voter when a seated president has actually made me physically sick to my stomach and literally given me restless nights and nightmares.

GrannyDee on October 23, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Ditto that! He makes me physically ill as well.

And I’ll tell you something else that I have felt for a long time but particularly since this creep took office….. I feel that I no longer belong in this country. This is not good. I’m a very ordinary person, and I can tell you that many feel the same way.

I’m an American, and I refuse to let anyone shove me out. If anyone else wants to come here and row in, that’s fine and dandy. My ancestors did. However, this president, if that’s what we have to call him, is making a travesty of this country and its citizens. I don’t know who he is or where he came from. He appears to be rather uncertain himself. But no one named Obama is going to change anything for me. I’m staying, and he along with his sick supporters can make a choice. This is a big world, and frankly I want them to leave. The thing is that they won’t because they are determined to pillage this country until there is nothing left.

They are bottom feeders. That is what the Left are. They always have been.

Cody1991 on October 23, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Me three! If I hear his voice or see his face, I get horribly creeped out and feel such a nauseous dread come over me…it’s not good.

As far as obama not being one of us – Here’s some more muzzie fun facts: obama has approved for 2011 the legal immigration of 80,000 persons from predominately muslim countries. Thank allah for that, right?

The nation is being changed in ways we can’t imagine, obama and his globalist overlords are working it kind of like an iceburg, with 80% out of our sight as per multi-thousand page bills no one elected has written or read and the strangulation of the nation thru his shadow politburo of czars and regulators. I feel as if the entire country is being dissolved and I really don’t feel like we can wait until 2012.

p.s. To those who say McConnell is a problem. Uh, yeah. McConnell is the one who refused to deploy the parliamentary procedures that would have choked obamcare dead in the Senate. Instead, he got together with his pal Harry Reid to pass obamacare out of the Senate on Christmas Eve. I will never forget such an evil, weak, sellout of a nation. Every one of these traitors must go.

tigerlily on October 24, 2010 at 12:24 AM

Old Nuke

Cornbread cooked in a skillet is real good with cold buttermilk.
And pinto beans of course. And poke salad with vinegar.

Dhuka on October 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:23 AM

If they screw up..Guess What?..VOTE THEM OUT..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Way OT:

It should be a good World Series, although none of my top teams made it.

Hmmm. Texas against San Francisco. Whom to pull for?/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SARCASM INTENDED, in case ya missed it!

Now all we need are hot dogs, apple pie, and Chevrolet Ford (the only American car company left, if you disallow Government Motors and the other taxpayer-enabled leeches.)

This reference may be too old for some of the younger readership who might have missed the old Chevy commercials.

hillbillyjim on October 24, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Obama in Minnesota “I need you fired up”.

Voters to Obama “I need you fired up“.

Schadenfreude on October 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Oops, that was a newer one; here’s an oldie.

hillbillyjim on October 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I’m aware of that, but he was granted his role by Hastert’s lame-duck Republicans not the new and improved version with tea party added.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Obama in Minnesota “I need you fired up”.

Voters to Obama “I need you fired up“.

Schadenfreude on October 24, 2010 at 12:30 AM

Voters to Ojugears” “Don’t get wee-weed up when we shut you down.”

hillbillyjim on October 24, 2010 at 12:37 AM

If they [Republicans] screw up..Guess What?..VOTE THEM OUT THE PARTY IS DONE..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM

gryphon202 on October 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM

If they screw up..Guess What?..VOTE THEM OUT..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM

America doesn’t have time! We have to try to get it right the first time because we might not get a second chance.

Think about that.

Turmoil often ends with consequences.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:36 AM

Well hopefully there will be a vote after November 2nd..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:44 AM

Dire Straits on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

Great Ceasar’s Ghost! I completely forgot about that fatal move, where Boehner’s strategic genius let obama resurrect obamacare with the “summit” meeting. You could practically hear conservatives across the nation screaming in horror as Boehner actually allowed obama to dig up a dead and buried corpse, throw it in all of our faces and then tie it around our necks. And this same Boehner will be the one who now leads the charge to defund/repeal this living corpse?

On the other hand, Michelle Bachmann, a mama grizzly that puts men like Boehner to shame, is, imo, well suited to drag obama through hell, enjoying whupping his azz, with a smile on her beautiful face for every defeat she hands to our very own domestic enemy.

tigerlily on October 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Turmoil often ends with consequences.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Boehner will be Speaker if the Republicans win the majority of House seats..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Well hopefully there will be a vote after November 2nd..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:44 AM

And hopefully he’ll lose.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM

And hopefully he’ll lose.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:47 AM

You are entitled to your opinion..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM

Old Nuke

Cornbread cooked in a skillet is real good with cold buttermilk.
And pinto beans of course. And poke salad with vinegar.

Dhuka on October 24, 2010 at 12:25 AM

‘Round here, we mix it (the cornbread batter) with buttermilk and REALLY FRESH brown eggs. Nothing like it in the world. Then you’ve gotta season your soup beans with country ham pieces or fatback, (or bacon, in a pinch).

My favorite side is collard greens with vinegar, along with some home-fried taters, of course.

hillbillyjim on October 24, 2010 at 12:51 AM

A lot is going to depend on what happens during the lame duck session. If the defeated dems try to ram through any major portions of their agenda the gloves will come off and any republican who even dreams of cooperating with them in the next congress will be a tea party target. If the dems soft pedal the lame duck session, repubs may be suckered into a compromise frame of mind. But, compromise is what did in W. Remember, becasue of his success in Texas of working with dems he thought cooperation would work in DC, too. Bzzzzt, you’re not smarter than a fifth grader. Hastert too, tried the compromise route. Bzzzzt, he was roundly, and rightly, critized for being weak and his speakership was tainted.

The last administration proved that you can’t compromise with a democrat. You will lose every time.

Anyway, let’s hope the democrats try to wreak havoc in the lame duck session. No republican will be able to even dream of cooperation. Tea Party will getcha’.

lonesomecharlie on October 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM

If they screw up..Guess What?..VOTE THEM OUT..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Think about that.

Turmoil often ends with consequences.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 12:42 AM

THIS. THIS. THIS.

Don’t you all feel the breakneck speed at which things are unraveling, most graphically illustrated in the complete wreckage obama has accomplished in just 22 months? Speed and timing are at the heart of accomplishing his entire “fundamental transformation”.

We don’t have the luxury of being able to come back and correct mistakes later.

There will be no later from here on out.

We are in sudden death overtime and the clock is running.

That is why so many of us saw the irresponsible and selfish trashing of Christine O’Donnell by Rove and CK as so dangerous. WE ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR LIVES and Tokyo and Krautie think it’s just another day in RINOland.

tigerlily on October 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM

If he’s not willing to allow the Democrats to shut down the government then how is he going to apply maximum leverage against the Democrats to achieve the most advantageous “compromise”?

He is ceding his most potent weapon and promising to negotiate from a position of weakness rather than with the strength of the mandate the voters are trying to give him.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:10 AM

You danged straight, skippy.

Laura in Maryland on October 24, 2010 at 1:10 AM

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:10 AM

If that’s the plan and it’s carried out, we can kiss the U.S.A. goodbye.

tigerlily on October 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:10 AM

He delivered NO (R) votes for Obamacare and No (R) votes for Porkulus..He will take care of the voters (Republicans) ..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:15 AM

He has to be willing to say no more spending and mean it!

He also has to be willing to face the firestorm of criticism that the MSM and a large segment of the public will bring down on him for making it stick.

The Democrats are willing to play chicken with the country and he needs the balls to do the same. That may involve calling their bluff, or not swerving if they aren’t bluffing.

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 1:19 AM

And the worst part is, as mentioned earlier, that the media landscape, (as well as other political landscaping), has changed drastically since ’94. Next time, a government shutdown definitely, IMO, backfire on the Democrats if they’re once again apposing the will of the people—and I mean backfire BIG TIME, perhaps even being virtually fatal to the extreme left.

Not only is Boehner wrong, IMO, but he’s totally misreading the battlefield. He doesn’t even realize his advantage.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:23 AM

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 1:19 AM

I just gave you two examples!..I understand holding their feet to the fire..We need to!.. But folks we have some good Republicans in this House of Representatives..They will come thru for us..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:23 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:15 AM

If you don’t want them to fight the Democrats as hard as they can then Boehner is probably your man.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Issa sounded awfully squishy to me, and I thought he was one we could depend on. Maybe he was having a bad day?

I mean really, the big response to this assault on the country is that he’s going to create more subcommittees?

DaMav on October 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM

We’ve had too much “reaching across the aisle” in the last couple of decades. It seems as if we give away the farm, then it’s called compromise, but if we insist on items that our principles demand that we fight for, we are labeled obstructionist, regressive, knuckle-dragging, racist, xenophobic, hard-liners, hard-right, neo-this, neo-that…ad infinitum.

To hell with it; let’s do what we know is right, and let the chips fall where they may. Let’s also insist that our representatives do the same; otherwise let’s vote them the hell out and bring in some fresh eyes and minds that can read and understand the Constitution and history.

hillbillyjim on October 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Come January 2011, Boehner doesn’t need to be combative or bombastic like Newtered was. All he needs to do is defund anything and everything he can in a workmanlike manner…He can’t let any socialist funding be attached to “needed” legislation and he needs to stand up to McConnell and to any House-Senate Conference Cmte. In 2013, he’ll have more help…

Gohawgs on October 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:23 AM

But their boneheaded leader has already scuttled their most potent weapon.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM

He is my choice to lead the House Republicans..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM

But their boneheaded leader has already scuttled their most potent weapon.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM

Please repeat one more time this scuttled weapon..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Gridlock +1000

CWforFreedom on October 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Please repeat one more time this scuttled weapon..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Letting the Democrats shut down the government in protest of spending cuts. They’ll try to blame Republicans again but will fail.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Nope – BTO
Bachmann Teaparty Overthrow

Mama Grizzlies Rule!

Laura in Maryland on October 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Gridlock +1000

CWforFreedom on October 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM

I agree it will be a definite improvement over the recent past.:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Mama Grizzlies Rule!

Laura in Maryland on October 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM

There is no doubt that the Mama Grizzlies will make an impact..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:43 AM

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:39 AM

I agree they will fail..Boehner knows this..He’s just pointing out that to MSM! ..Firing the first salvo!..:)

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Dire Straits on October 24, 2010 at 1:47 AM

That’s like promising you won’t use nukes. They lose their deterrence. He is volunteering to negotiate from an artificially weakened condition in spite of the overwhelming mandate the electorate is trying to provide to him.

It’s like a coach promising to shoot for second place in a two team league that his team dominates.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:51 AM

…And he’s doing it now when the mandate is needed most.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 1:52 AM

We also have to be careful not to overreach and blow it at this critical juncture, of course. I’m not saying that we have to have it all right now; only that we shouldn’t be voluntarily scuttling the most potent means to force the Democrats to the table to get something done.

This time the American people will make sure that they pay the price if they don’t appear serious about correcting our economic course.

Hopefully a shutdown won’t be necessary and should be avoided if possible, but the Democrats have to come to the table or take the heat. This is the most powerful tool in our disposal to make sure that the will of the American people is carried forward, (as long as they are on our side).

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 2:01 AM

While reading this I remembered watching Axelrod on TV a few months ago explaining how the Democrats only needed to give the Tea Partiers the handouts they were looking for.

Does the White House still not ‘get it’? Do they think they can spin some story in the media and that will be the end of it?

I wonder how far into next year we will get when it finally dawns on Obama that the country has moved on without him?

Freddy on October 24, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Freddy on October 24, 2010 at 2:04 AM

The country can’t move on without him until 2012. The best we can hope for is a stalemate until then.

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 2:08 AM

I know the fire-breathers will be all over Boehner, but any rational beings among us should realize we don’t have a veto-proof Congress, nor even a filibuster-proof Senate, even under the best-case scenarios for November 2nd. So we aren’t able to repeal OR “de-fund” anything.

Any such attempts will be a) filibustered and/or b) vetoed, period. Obama doesn’t back down, he goes all in whenever challenged, just like with health care when they rammed in through even after the warning shot of Scott Brown’s election.

We are headed for a government shutdown, but Obama will not allow any “continuing resolution” which cuts off his pet policies, he will bet the farm we will back down. So we need to be laying the groundwork NOW so the public doesn’t blame us for it (yeah, believe it or not, all these voters aren’t going to have our backs when Granny’s checks stop coming, at least unless we give them reasons to).

Boehner is talking compromise and bipartisanship just like Obama did in 2008. If he didn’t, he would be playing into the Democratic narrative.

None of this stuff is going to be easy. None of it. And a bunch of lunatics screaming their heads off about anyone who mentions “working with” the President isn’t helping at all.

Adjoran on October 24, 2010 at 2:09 AM

Adjoran on October 24, 2010 at 2:09 AM

No, actually, that’s precisely what’s needed.

Because run is what they did, every time, when put to the test. The Tea Party and all the other screaming lunatics is the only difference between then and now. Now we have a chance of seeing some results.

A chance only, not a guarantee.

When they had the power, before those screaming lunatics were giving them the hairy eyeball, they folded like a cheap suit.

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Every time President Bush comprised with Democrats, they got what they wanted and then used it to beat him over the head.

No Child Left Behind is a great example. It did away with the school choice that Bush had promised (or at least “leaned toward”) during his first election, got millions more pumped into failing schools, was basically Ted Kennedy’s plan, and for the rest of his presidency was used to attack Bush, no mention of Kennedy or the millions more being spent on education ever being made.

29Victor on October 24, 2010 at 2:21 AM

No, actually, that’s precisely what’s needed.

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 2:19 AM

Anyway, America isn’t going to be voting overwhelmingly Republican because they suddenly love Republicans. Americans are sick of and scared of President Obama’s agenda and they’re sending Republicans to D.C. to stop it, not to make nice with President Obama.

29Victor on October 24, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Adjoran on October 24, 2010 at 2:09 AM

What’s lunatic is compromising with people who want to expand the size and scope of government with the purpose of stopping or shrinking government growth while ignoring the fact that past such compromises have resulted only in a slightly slower pace of government growth.

That sounds to me a lot like “doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different result”.

FloatingRock on October 24, 2010 at 2:25 AM

29Victor on October 24, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Exactly and that is borne out by the low regard even the GOP is held by most Americans. They want it stopped, but that doesn’t mean they have forgotten how badly the Republicans messed up, or their part is allowing and in some cases, creating the situation everyone is in.

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 2:30 AM

even before the election we’re already talking about compromise? good grief.

exceller on October 24, 2010 at 3:25 AM

d1carter on October 24, 2010 at 2:10 AM

Oh, wow, he’s going to be my new congressman! That brought tears to my eyes. I’m so stoked for 11/2 and Walsh is one of the reasons why. Thanks for posting this awesome link!

Tea Partiers refuse to be silenced! They will hold all these compromisers feet to the fire, woohoo!

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 24, 2010 at 5:25 AM

PS, those people in the vid are my “neighbors”, fills me with so much hope for my area. Especially because on my street there are only two GOP signs (mine and one other). Very happy.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 24, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Boehner hasn’t been listening to Pence.

maverick muse on October 24, 2010 at 5:54 AM

“We will work together to scrape the crap out of this crap sandwich, so the American people will accept it and be thankful”.

gooddad on October 24, 2010 at 7:35 AM

Obama will never compromise. He expects Americans to continue to give up their liberty and freedoms.

Ricohoc on October 24, 2010 at 7:39 AM