Krauthammer to Nina Totenberg: Why did NPR fire Juan Williams but not you?

posted at 7:30 pm on October 23, 2010 by Allahpundit

He’s too much of a mensch to mention her most notorious bon mot, about Jesse Helms — or one of his grandkids — maybe deserving a little AIDS in the ol’ bloodstream as a matter of divine justice. I think they both have that quote in mind here, though, which explains why Totenberg is palpably uncomfortable with NPR’s sudden sticklerism about “analysts” offering controversial opinions in public. In fact, near as I can tell, not a single member of NPR thus far has been willing to call Williams’s firing an unvarnished triumph. And that includes the dummy responsible for the now infamous line about him maybe needing to consult with his shrink:

Even NPR’s own staff expressed exasperation at the decision during a meeting Friday with NPR’s president, Vivian Schiller. Several of those who attended said Schiller told employees that she regretted how she handled the episode…

In a meeting with employees that had been scheduled before the Williams story broke, Schiller acknowledged that NPR didn’t manage the firing well, but offered no specifics. She said NPR would conduct a “post-mortem” next week to review how the firing was handled, according to employees who attended the meeting, which was closed to the news media. Schiller didn’t say who would handle the review or what the consequences of it might be…

“There wasn’t anger” among NPR employees at the meeting, “but I did get a sense of despair and disappointment,” said one NPR journalist, who asked not to be named because employees are not authorized to speak on the record about the matter. “I got the impression that [management] felt they had acted rashly and without deliberation. When [Schiller] made the psychiatrist crack, it just made matters much, much worse.”

Schiller reiterated the company line about Williams violating journalistic ethics in an interview with the Times (in which she also insisted that NPR is sometimes accused of … catering to conservatives), then went on to say that the board of directors is completely behind the decision to fire him. Is that right? Hmmm:

“I agree with the principle, but am not happy with the execution,” Robert Gordon, an NPR board member and president of Nashville Public Radio, said after Williams was fired over comments about Muslims that he made on Fox News.

“The execution was very poorly timed. You have a lot of stations who are in fund drive mode now and that’s making it difficult.”…

“I’ve gotten a lot of calls and a lot of e-mails, and in fact, more than we’ve gotten about anything else,” Gordon said. “We’ve had a few people make donations in support of the decision, but more decided not to support us.”

I wouldn’t worry if I were him; as Jesse Walker reminds us, GOP threats to defund public broadcasting are evergreen but never go anywhere. Then again, this time could be different for the reason Andy McCarthy says: If the new tea party Congress doesn’t have the guts to pull the plug on NPR, how will they ever have the guts to defund ObamaCare? Exit question: Is NPR about to become a test case of Republican mettle among the base? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

This is silly…He broke the lefts created rules of Political Correctness and dared to tell the truth…Of course that is a firing offense for NPR

Geeze…this is not rocket science

JIMV on October 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM

I think the headline on this article is a misquote. Charles did not say anything that hostile.

Pythagoras on October 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM

Pythagoras on October 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM

It’s not a misquote if it’s not in quotation marks, dude. I think that was the gist of what the cabbage pounder was asking.

gryphon202 on October 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM

“but I did get a sense of despair and disappointment,” said one NPR journalist,

Excellent!

rrpjr on October 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Krauthammer back in HotAir’s good graces? Wow. We’re such cheap whores here. I love it!

/sarc ?

SouthernGent on October 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM

Speak for yourself. In my eyes, the cabbage pounder’s reputation was damaged beyond repair in the wake of the Dealware Gambit. That doesn’t mean he’ll never be correct again in his lifetime.

gryphon202 on October 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Has anyone heard from Obama, Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and the NAACP about Juan Williams’ unjust firing?

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2010 at 9:56 PM

We’re such cheap whores here. I love it!

SouthernGent on October 23, 2010 at 9:42 PM

You’re fired for insulting the Boxers of the world :)

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

gryphon202 on October 23, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Because anyone who disagrees with anything you say about Delaware is a cabbage pounder with a damaged reputation?
C’mon, guys, Chuck is a good guy & an ally.

itsnotaboutme on October 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Bull s@#t! If Juan Williams had been white, NO ONE WOULD BE DEFENDING HIM!

ronsfi on October 23, 2010 at 9:59 PM

C’mon, guys, Chuck is a good guy & an ally.

itsnotaboutme on October 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

This is a masterpiece by the good Dr., with a great and unique name. No need to insult last names.

Schadenfreude on October 23, 2010 at 10:00 PM

C’mon, guys, Chuck is a good guy & an ally.

itsnotaboutme on October 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Damaged reputation? Yes. In my eyes? Yes. Bad person? Not at all. I don’t think that Krauthammer (whom I used to affectionately call “cabbage pounder” simply because that is literally the meaning of his last name in German) is the broken-clock type, only right twice a day.

I do think that Delaware was an insight into a side of Krauthammer’s personality that I disagree with vehemently — more than I ever thought I was capable of disagreeing with him. Just one guy’s opinion.

gryphon202 on October 23, 2010 at 10:01 PM

Has the CAIR involvement with the firing of Juan Williams bothered anyone else? Soro’s money is one thing but the CAIR issue is down right scarey.

fourdeucer on October 23, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Yes, it’s really a big issue but I have not seen it addressed here at HA although I may have missed it.

Saw Megyn Kelly interview the CAIR schill and imo she missed taking him to the cleaners on two glaring examples:
CAIR schill accused Juan Williams several times during the interview of 1) Racial profiling (private citizens expressing fear is now thought morphed into racial profiling? And what is the definition of racial profiling, and is there a statute prohibiting it being perpetrated by a private citizen? 2) violating Muslim’s civil rights. What???

Megyn, you were out to lunch on this one.

tigerlily on October 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM

“Those who can, do. Those who can’t teach.”

That’s all you need to know.

Mr_Magoo on October 23, 2010 at 10:10 PM

If I see the “switch to Firefox” as the “solution” to the ad problem one more time, I think my head is going to explode. This is an old and way overplayed anti-Microsoft fanboy MO. Speaking as an IT professional, this is pure propaganda.

Folks, listen up. Web designers and code writers test all webpages, ads, etc. extensively to run with IE first…. Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc. secondarily. They simply don’t release pages that don’t inherently work in IE. Please stop blaming every browser glitch you experience on IE. You frankly don’t know what you’re talking about.

If you are having ad issues, there is a great chance you are experiencing LOCAL computer problems. ie. spyware/virus, old or damaged OS, or non-updated systems.

Here are some hints for keeping your Windows system heathly:

- If you haven’t already, make sure you’re running the latest browser…presently version 8.

- Make sure you are keeping up to date with Windows Updates. Setting your computer to automatically update is a very good option.

- If you always close your laptop lid without rebooting or powering the system off you are asking for eventual troubles. Plan to completely power off a couple of times per week. Watch your troubles melt away.

- Go to http://www.java.com once every couple of months to make sure you are running the latest version of Java.

- Go to http://www.adobe.com once every couple of months to make sure you are running the latest version of Flash and Shockwave.

- If you are running Vista, plan to upgrade to Windows 7 yesterday. Yes, it is that much better and worth it.

- If you are still running an XT (or earlier heaven forbid) system, it’s time to treat yourself to a new computer with Windows 7, 64 bit.

Make sure your anti-Spyware/virus is current. AVG free does a great basic job. You really don’t need much more than that on a modern OS.

starman on October 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Something tells me that Juan is going to make himself feel better about all this (temporarily) by voting the entire Republican ticket on June 2 – without admitting to it until he retires and writes his memoirs.

honsy on October 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Laughable. Risible. Just plain stupid joke. Who really believes anymore in “unbiased journalism”, especially of the MSM-PBS variety ?

petefrt on October 23, 2010 at 10:28 PM

C’mon, guys, Chuck is a good guy & an ally.

itsnotaboutme on October 23, 2010 at 9:58 PM

No kidding. No one agrees with anyone 100% of the time. I’m tired of this one strike and you’re out BS.

strictnein on October 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM

strictnein on October 23, 2010 at 10:32 PM

Charles Krauthammer dressed down the Republican primary voters of Delaware for bucking the Republican establishment. Am I the only person here who sees this as consequential?

gryphon202 on October 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM

starman on October 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM

It doesn’t have anything to do with Microsoft vs Mozilla. It’s just the fact that IE doesn’t have any real ad-blocking capabilities. If someone wants to use IE but still block ads, there’s always Privoxy, which is what I use. It’s a very small program and unobtrusive, though there is the occasional issue.

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Williams was fired simply because he associated with Fox News.

Golly, blacks might somehow think that he’s a conservative and be tempted to wander off the plantation themselves.
We can’t have that.
No sir, no, we simply can’t allow that.

justltl on October 23, 2010 at 10:44 PM

The key to this video is when Charles mentions being on with Nina for years, and she says “I’m not on Fox”. That is the key to this whole video. Liberals hate Fox News.

Any liberal on Fox News is a sell out for appearing on Fox News. In the liberal mind, media is for propaganda alone, and anyone who is not with the propaganda, is against them. What ever happened to Alan Colmes? He is still somewhat a news writer, but he has been greatly marginalized. I have heard tons of libs complain about how is was an idiot and could not provoe hannity wrong.

jeffn21 on October 23, 2010 at 10:52 PM

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Now that’s a proper response. However, the floating ads just aren’t that large a problem for me…certainly not worth loading up yet another browser plugin. These things will many times conflict with real web page responses that open in new browser windows…then users wonder why they aren’t getting the response they are supposed to….blaming IE again. Honestly, keep the pop-up blocker on, and the Java and adobe stuff updated, and live with the occasional floating ad.

starman on October 23, 2010 at 10:53 PM

It’s just the fact that IE doesn’t have any real ad-blocking capabilities.

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I take that back. It appears there’s an Adblock for IE, from what I can tell. Oh well, Privoxy’s still worth a look.

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Is anyone else here old enough to remember the viciousness with which the Left smeared and tried to destroy Justice Thomas?
How about Condi Rice?
How about the old Colin Powell?
They fear anything that will tempt blacks to walk off the Democrat plantation.

Any thinking person despises how the Left hypocritically and scurillously uses the race card as a tool to further their agenda, and is therefore hesitant to ever use that charge.

But make no mistake- the firing of Juan Williams was ultimately due to his being a black man- one who was uppity enough to even associate with conservatives.

justltl on October 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Here are some hints for keeping your Windows system heathly:

starman on October 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I could do that…

Or I could just switch to Firefox and not have to worry about it that much.

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM

If they could have had an actual old style lynching for Juan, they would have. Instead they did a modern day version.

I loathe the Left. They are beneath contempt.

justltl on October 23, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Or I could just switch to Firefox and not have to worry about it that much.

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM

What make’s you think that? Firefox has it’s own occasional compatibility issues…and you’ll want to keep your Windows up to date and healthy in general…right?

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Oh yeah, one fun thing about this disgusting episode is that the correspondents on NPR are all going to have to constantly look over their shoulders for a while.

“Ssshh! What was that sound, Mara? Did you hear that, Nina?”

Bwahahahahahahaha!

justltl on October 23, 2010 at 11:09 PM

justltl on October 23, 2010 at 10:58 PM

Nah, I don’t really think it was because he’s black. I think it’s because 1. he veered from the party line and did it on the hated Fox network and 2. NPR’s moonbat base of listeners/donors have been p.o.ed for years over the fact that Williams appears on that hated Faux News. Mara Liasson spews the party line so much on Fox that I don’t think she’s in danger.

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Occasional I can live with, but I don’t want to have to constantly deal with it, or pay someone else to. I have better things to do with my time.

I have had to fix the computers of friends and families, when they can be fixed. When they use Firefox and something like AVG, or Avast the problems largely stop. When they use IE they constantly get viruses, with Firefox, not so much.

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Hmmph.
You might be right.

justltl on October 23, 2010 at 11:19 PM

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I fix ‘em for a living. Getting viruses is almost exclusively a function of the bottomfeeder websites one visits, not the model of browser you run.

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Honest defense of “principle” should never depend on proper timing.
pjean on October 23, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Bingo!

So much said with so few words!

Btw, anyone calling NPR and asking for their donations back?
Even if they never made a donation?

A million or so calls like that would really put them in a tizzy.

DSchoen on October 23, 2010 at 11:27 PM

By the way, concerning that WaPo idiot in the clip talking about not blaming Christians for Tim McVeigh: if I hear that one more time I’m going to tear my hair out. Tim McVeigh was NOT a Christian. He was an agnostic.

ddrintn on October 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Well I don’t know what websites they visit, but I do know that when I installed Firefox on their computer I stopped having to visit nearly as often. They have FaceBook, Hotmail, MSN Messenger, and download music and share files with their friends, none of which I do.

I also know that when I had IE I had trouble with pop-ups and viruses that went away the minute I switched.

That’s why I like Firefox.

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM

jeffn21 on October 23, 2010 at 10:52 PM

…and amplifying her blockheaded arrogance for everyone to hear.

Loved it.

Saltysam on October 23, 2010 at 11:42 PM

That’s why I like Firefox.

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM

You might mask a problem temporarily by switching browsers, but switching browsers do not make a virus go away. You are doing your clients a disservice for that reason if you aren’t cleaning their system as well. Honestly, you are living in a time zone of 5 or 6 years ago, XP pre SP2 and IE 6 or earlier. The problems you describe simply aren’t in play nearly as much in these modern times. The whole “Firefox is better” is meme koolaid and indicates you drink it regularly.

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM

There is another area of hypocrisy that seem to be silently ignored.

I think the folks at NPR have been intimidated into not allowing criticism of Islam much like the newspapers that won’t print images of Mohammed.

In their hatred of Fox news, they hastily threw together this “opportunity” to fire Juan over Islamophobia, when it is they that are spinelessly caving to their own Islamophobia.

They cover their unethical cowardice hiding behind a fraudulent facade of cultural tolerance.

Saltysam on October 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM

I don’t have any clients.

I am well aware of how to get rid of viruses and have done so many times. Most often for IE.

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Insults in place of an argument would suggest you are the one drinking Koolaid. You have a favored browser and your attitude seems to be that it is the fault of the user if it has any problems, ignoring the fact that other browsers don’t have the same problems.

ALL browsers have their strengths and weakness’, but few of them so consistently win The Worst Browser Award as Internet Explorer does.

sharrukin on October 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Love Charles

blatantblue on October 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM

honsy on October 23, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Here’s hoping he has a couple million fans who do the same. Especially in Washington State and California.

petunia on October 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Here are some hints for keeping your Windows system heathly:

starman on October 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Speaking as an IT professional myself, I have to differ. If you do nothing more than use Firefox rather than IE, you’ll cut out a lot of spyware and viruses. The culprit is not bad programming by Microsoft per se, but ActiveX.

ActiveX is a security atrocity put in place to compete against Java. In trying to one-up Java, they skipped the virtual machine and the bytecode and the security restrictions in the Java “sandbox.” This made the browser less secure — and therefore the entire computer — but it did gain one thing: better performance. At least, until you get spyware, viruses, and other malware.

Now the fact of the matter is that there will always be IT professionals who will argue that there’s nothing wrong with IE or ActiveX, and that you just need to add on firewalls and antivirus software, be careful which websites you visit, and make sure you’re always updated. All those things are in fact good ideas, but the fact remains that virtually all spyware and viruses are written for Internet Explorer for a few good reasons.

1) The less sophisticated users will always use whatever browser is already on their PC, which by default is IE, and they’re the ones that are easiest to infect. The result is that these are the biggest target. You don’t want to be part of the biggest target.
2) ActiveX controls don’t run in a controlled environment, or “sandbox,” like java applets, and they actually run as part of the OS. Vista and Win7 have tried to change this somewhat so that it’s possible to run the OS without having full authority, and I’m sure it helps minimize your exposure. Somewhat. It’s still a poor security model.
3) Most malware is designed to exploit IE

If you want to be safe on the internet
a) install and use Firefox on Linux, and install the security updates on a regular basis. With most versions of Linux, you can make this happen automatically or on a semi-automatic basis. The security updates for the OS will almost always include security updates for Java and most applications. Add a firewall.
b) Use Firefox or Safari on Mac, and make sure you keep QuickTime, Java, and Flash updated and install security updates regularly. And add a firewall
c) Install Firefox on Windows, keep current on security updates, keep current on Flash, Java, and Quicktime if it’s installed, add a firewall, add antivirus software and keep it current.

Sorry if Windows takes more work for security, but it’s a bigger and softer target.

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM

none of you idiots know what you’re talking about when it comes to browsers and viruses

you have to take the root data bit and splice it with the gigatron.

DUH!!!!!!1!

blatantblue on October 24, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Isn’t this thread off-topic? Just saying.

gryphon202 on October 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Isn’t this thread off-topic? Just saying.

gryphon202 on October 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM

the usual path of a thread
veers off course around midnight, then the early birds put it back on track. normal

anyway
if the gigatron in your browser doesnt respond to the IP server larp, then you have to drop a .exe script in to the i4 codec

gosh
amateurs.

blatantblue on October 24, 2010 at 12:33 AM

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 24, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Sorry. The above gets pretty far off topic. But my observation is that, while you can use IE on Windows safely, it does take more work. Installing Firefox doesn’t fix everything, but it makes it a lot less work overall to be secure. And a large part of that owes to the fact that Firefox doesn’t support ActiveX controls.

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 24, 2010 at 12:35 AM

There is another area of hypocrisy that seem to be silently ignored.

Saltysam on October 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Agreed.

And the “prophet” for CAIR smugly threw the hand grenade at MK and dared her to pick it up. I wish she had the confidence that she could.

His “civil rights” organization exploits the rights granted by the first amendment while intimidating cowardly news organizations to compromise theirs.

rwenger43 on October 24, 2010 at 1:00 AM

blatantblue on October 24, 2010 at 12:33 AM

I swore I’d never reveal BB’s true identity, but here it is:

Nick Burns

Laura in Maryland on October 24, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Anyone seen JJ or Sharpton?

Gohawgs on October 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Anyone seen JJ or Sharpton?

Gohawgs on October 24, 2010 at 1:28 AM

Nope. There’s no profit in this one.

Laura in Maryland on October 24, 2010 at 1:31 AM

We got a fund drive request in the mail this week and sent it back with a Zero Dollar contribution and listed the name as Juan Williams.

Elizabetty on October 23, 2010 at 9:24 PM

Love it. Let’s all do that.

slickwillie2001 on October 24, 2010 at 1:53 AM

starman on October 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM

You don’t sound like you’re professional at anything, least of all IT. Firefox now has 45% of the browser market compared to 31% for IE and 17% for Chrome. There are valid reasons for that which others here have already explained to you. In the future, try not to be such a jerk, especially when you’re wrong.

Django on October 24, 2010 at 2:28 AM

NPR didn’t fire Totenberg because CAIR didn’t call demanding her removal as CAIR did with Williams.

CAIR’s Role in Juan Williams Firing May Be Violation of Foreign Agents Registration Act

maverick muse on October 24, 2010 at 5:44 AM

Frank Gaffney: “Juan Williams’ ‘Teachable Moment’: Four Lessons @ Breitbart’s BIG PEACE

Juan Williams’ firing is evidence of submission to shariah. As Molly Norris can attest, that code makes it a capital offense to “blaspheme” or “slander” Islam. It is no accident that Williams feels trepidation about getting on a plane with those whose dress indicates that they are shariah-adherent. That fear is precisely the intended response to terrifying jihadism; it is what is expected of dhimmis – the infidels who do not convert to Islam, but are nonetheless allowed to live as second-class citizens under Muslim domination. NPR and the other media that submit (the literal meaning of Islam) so as to give no offense rather than risk retaliation are exhibiting the characteristics of dhimmitude.

Third, as the Center for Security Policy’s blue-ribbon Team B II made clear in its new book, Shariah: The Threat to America, it is axiomatic that, the more we exhibit such reactions, the more those who adhere to shariah will feel emboldened to assert themselves aggressively – and, in due course, violently.

The fourth lesson involves the group whose demand for Juan Williams’ punishment appears to have precipitated his dismissal: The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR). CAIR has been linked by the federal government to Hamas (a State Department-designated terrorist organization) and the Muslim Brotherhood (an organization that has as its mission “destroying Western civilization from within”). Several of its officials are serving time on terrorism charges. And the organization was designated as an unindicted co-conspirator in the largest terrorism-financing trial in U.S. history: the successful prosecution of the Holy Land Foundation.

In addition, evidence accumulated by the Center for Security Policy and aggregated at CAIRObservatory.org suggests that CAIR is also in violation of another federal statute: the Foreign Agent Registration Act (FARA). FARA was the law used recently to convict and deport 10 Russian spies and agents of influence. And, pursuant to FARA, it would be illegal for CAIR to engage in the kind of influence operation in which it sought, and secured, the punishment of Juan Williams for what shariah would consider to be a slander against Muslims.

maverick muse on October 24, 2010 at 5:51 AM

Remember: Twenty-Seven Year Anniversary of the Attack on U.S. Forces in Lebanon

The Beirut Barracks Bombing

—killing 299 American and French servicemen. The organization Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombing, but that organization is thought to have been a nom de guerre for Hezbollah—or a group that would later become part of Hezbollah—receiving help from the Islamic Republic of Iran.

In the attack on the American Marines barracks, the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II.

And Barack preaches that Islamic Jihad is righteousness.

maverick muse on October 24, 2010 at 6:18 AM

Totenberg’s apparent fear in expressing her view about Juan’s firing tells me all I need to know about NPR.

Done That on October 24, 2010 at 6:21 AM

starman on October 23, 2010 at 11:54 PM

It’s my understanding that “Firefox is NOT better”, but it’s a much smaller “pool” of possible victims.

Same for Mac.

There are a couple million people using FireFox and a couple HUNDRED million using IE.

If your trying to get someone’s info on Credit cards, Banks and what not, your more likely to get that from a pool of hundreds of million IE users as opposed to two million FireFox users.

DSchoen on October 24, 2010 at 6:26 AM

CAIR done it

If we could get CAIR to call out NPR as Politically incorrect, we could get NPR de funded.

seven on October 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Those numbers are incorrect as outlined above.

Starman, I don’t need to reboot regularly when I close the lid on my MacBook. But I do get paid a lot to remove viruses for those using Windows.

JeffB. on October 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Totenberg is the perfect example of a self hating Jew liberal who would sell Israel down the drain as did the sweet witch from the Whitehouse-Helen Thomas. Totenberg loathes Christians, conservatives, patriotism or anything of that color. She needs to have the dogs*it slapped out of her publicly. Feckless *itch.

wepeople on October 24, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Did Juan have a Shirley Sherrod moment ?
I caught a talking head saying that Juan ended his comments by saying that you can’t “indict a whole people” based on a handful.

J_Crater on October 24, 2010 at 8:04 AM

What kind of despicable woman wishes AIDS on the grandchildren of a political opponent?

Imagine–just imagine–if a conservative said that about the Obama girls. Reprehensible and disgusting. That person would be rightly run out of town on the rails.

A liberals says it? Eh. Nothing to see here.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Expose every piece of the Progressive machinery and destroy it. NPR is a piece of the machinery, and wears the uniform of the enemy of a free people.

Keemo on October 24, 2010 at 8:50 AM

gryphon202 on October 23, 2010 at 10:33 PM

For the record, no. CK can be a valuable ally, but he is not always an ally. Total investment in every opinion of any pundit is foolish (with the possible exception of Rush) and CK reminds us why.

Extrafishy on October 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

You’d think all those useless tools at NPR would begin to realize just how unnecessary they are individually to the ruling class. That decision was made above Schiller’s head and handed down to her. That she made the snarky remark about seeing a shrink shows all of us how shallow she is.

Kissmygrits on October 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Or I could just switch to Firefox and not have to worry about it that much.

sharrukin on October 23, 2010 at 11:01 PM

Yup. I use Firefox and have no ad annoyances here… just some extra white space on the page.

petefrt on October 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM

I am always interested in Krauthammer’s opinion. I wish his health was better. Suffering from what he suffers must be difficult.

SC.Charlie on October 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Shiller fires Juan Williams for not meeting some standard…but admits she failed herself in the way she handled the firing….so she judged Williams, and makes a mistake, but is completely unable to self audit herself and her own self confessed short comings. She should be fired she is incompetent, and by taking George Soros’s 1.8 Million Dollar donation, she has ruined NPR’s brand…something Juan Williams never did.

How professional is it of NPR to fire Juan Williams over the phone, he worked for NPR for over 10 years? NPR is now suspect – they should be defunded. I don’t want my taxes to go to pay for George Soros’s goon squad.

Dr Evil on October 24, 2010 at 9:56 AM

“I have personal opinions that I will not share with you,”
Nina Totenberg

Right before our eyes, we’re seeing the death of Free Speech on National Public Radio.

franksalterego on October 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM

Present company included, yes? ;-)

nukemhill on October 24, 2010 at 10:10 AM

For CK to have Nina Totenberg right there on the panel and not ask her about that ‘Helms or his grandkids should get AIDS’ crack and just how the he11 she still has a job was cowardice. Outright cowardice. Put the b*tch on the spot, ask her how was her statement not more egregious than what Williams said.

And to not correct that WaPo (?) guy about that ‘McVeigh was a Christian’ BS was also an act of cowardice. Absurd. McVeigh, before he had his last three part cocktail, stated outright that he was no Christian, unlike muslims chopping off heads to the shouts of ‘allahu akbar’.

This is why I hate listening to talking heads, even on YouTube type clips. They piss me off with their pompous irrelevance. Everybody on that d*mn panel were inside the Beltway elitists and should be forced to get a real job and actually work for a living.

RickZ on October 24, 2010 at 10:44 AM

In the broader context of what is going on in the clip, Nina Totenberg is ADMITTING she’s afraid to say what she thinks.

A person on my message board says: “Mission Accomplished”

This should be a STUNNING revelation, to anyone who’s paying attention.

franksalterego on October 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

That was Schiller coming out with confidence in her thoroughly bit**y point of view. It’s called being catty. Being a b**ch, being a snot, kicking someone below the belt and laughing about it…

She was CONFIDENT in her environment (Leftwingland) that “everyone” would find her snotty remarks funny and laugh along with her (bullying tactic, by the way, since bullying is in more in the news lately). I doubt she ever assumed she was speaking out of line of propriety, decency, sense or anything else, what with her assumptions she was there amongst people whose ethics are equally skewered (and maybe so but the public hearing what she said, outside her Leftwingland of poeple, found it offensive speech, as also her state of mind in speaking so).

I ALSO noted that she focused on denying Fox News was an aspect or cause or issue in firing Williams. AS IF anyone asked her. She offered up — something like three, perhaps four, times — a denial that Fox was of isssue, which was her pretty well admitting that the actual motivation in firing Williams WAS his work with Fox News or Fox itself, regardless of what Williams said or didn’t say (I think it was more a case of NPR manufacturing an issue to fire Williams but the motive was to “punish” Fox, in my view).

And, to the point Krauthammer made, Totenberg’s remarks about Jesse Helms and grandchildren is indecent, despicable, disgusting and identifies her as a very sick person for expressing such (suggesting that if “justice” existed, Helms and grandkids would “get AIDS”).

Williams simply expressed an emotion, and, he didn’t even justify or promote his emotion, he simply shared that he felt what he experienced. Totenberg, on the other hand, expresses monstrously vile and aggressive nasties about others, to a point of nuttiness. She and Schiller are the two who need psychiatrists, not Williams.

Lourdes on October 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Sorry, that part ^^ is about Schiller, not Totenberg.

Lourdes on October 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM

A person on my message board says: “Mission Accomplished”

This should be a STUNNING revelation, to anyone who’s paying attention.

franksalterego on October 24, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Like I guessed and said, earlier comments here, it appears that the actual issue by which Williams fell victim, so to speak, by NPR, was NOT what he expressed as to his emotions, his fear of flying on a plane with Muslims, etc., but that he’s been a commenter on FOX and particularly, on O’Reilly’s show as guest host.

Schiller and her handlers were simply waiting to manufacture some reason to get rid of Williams but the target was FOX — that they used Williams as they did is even more despicable but that’s hardly a new tactic by the Left.

Lourdes on October 24, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Kissmygrits on October 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Yeah, it’s obvious that it was Media Matters and George Soros responsible. Disgusting theatre by NPR and they deserve to lose all taxpayer funding. I only wish it could be made retrogressive.

Lourdes on October 24, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Kraut frames it perfectly … Totenberg lacks the intellectual capability even to answer … and that James Clyburn/Retard clone attempts to blather his way through some sort of knee-jerk defense.

Whoever he is, he’s does a great imitation of Clyburn. Was it Danny Davis?

Jaibones on October 24, 2010 at 1:26 PM

‘Sort of OT’ :
Has anyone found ANTHING in regards to Mara ??
I’ve heard nothing, and no links to anything, either.
But, hey, HA folk are pretty danged helpful in times like these.
Thought I’d check.

pambi on October 24, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Even without NPR’s appalling behavior, there is no reason for taxpayers to be funding ‘public’ television or radio. For purely financial reasons, the GOP should defund it.

Vashta.Nerada on October 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Well, Nina certainly looked VERY uncomfortable on the stage with the boys. Frankly, she should be worried.

itzWicks on October 24, 2010 at 2:18 PM

When a private media outlet fires someone for speech it doesn’t like, it is not a 1st amendment issue, nor censorship as the gov’t is not acting.

when a publicly funded medial outlet does, it is a violation of the 1st amendment and censorship. Williams needs to bring a 42 U.S.C. 1983 action for violations of his civil rights. Included in that would be a violation of due process rights, since the gov’t funded employer fired him while making a statement that is predjudicial to his reputation, all without pre-adverse-action process, which has been held to be a violation of due process rights by a gov’t employer.

I’m not up on any cases finding NPR to not be a gov’t employer, but I don’t know how it can be argued that considering the funding the gov’t gives to it. Imagine if an agency that the right likes received gov’t money and did this. the left and media (but I repeat myself), would be going absolutely insane.

Again I ask our leftist trolls. How do you justify your side’s actions and lies? What will it take to open your eyes regarding your side’s power-mad, pro-censorship intolerant tendencies? What will it take to shame you? Is there anything that is done in the name of leftism that is not excusable to you?

Monkeytoe on October 24, 2010 at 2:54 PM

For IE problems . . . forrget it and get a MAC!

francesca on October 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM

This is just a distraction. Who cares where Juan Williams goes? We are a nation of At-Will employment.

Williams’ quote would be considered offensive and inappropriate in nearly any workplace. It would be grounds for a meeting with HR, and sanctions. Inaction could result in an EEOC investigation. It could result in termination, even as a first offense. If he had been previously warned, termination would be likely. I think the workplace-appropriate standard is a fairly objective measure, and it is one that most of us live with daily in our professional lives.

NPR has an ethics policy. It is on their website, and easily found via google. It was last revised in October of 2009. Where is the Fox News policy? I haven’t been able to find it. I am sure it is very rigorous and well thought out, since they are so fair and balanced.

Totenberg is being paraphrased incorrectly. People aren’t quoting her directly, because it would not suit their agenda. Whether the 15 year old quote is overly offensive for a typical corporate environment is subject to debate, but the actual quote in context probably gets a pass. In any case, Totenberg has not been recently sanctioned by her management for violating ethics guidelines, as Williams was in the last election cycle. I don’t know what the NPR ethics policy was at that time, but I suspect it was more permissive. Is anyone really suggesting we should go back in time, and apply current standards to past events? It seems a particularly absurd waste of time, given the idiocy of Helms’ original position and quote. Helms wanted to let people who get Aids via transfusion die. Where is the outrage over that?

“If I see a journalist who, first and foremost, is identifying himself in public as someone who is afraid of muslims, I get worried. I get nervous. I question whether he has the ethics to report the news objectively, and without his own personal drama.”

Extra Special Prosecutor on October 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Extra special prosecutor, you are an idiot.

Gov’t agencies, like NPR, cannot fire someone for political speech. If they want to be a private entity without being held to such standards, they should give up their gov’t money. B/c they would go out of business without it, they will never do so. there is no real market for far left activist “news” – thus they are not commercially viable. Just look to MSNBC’s ratings, and the success of “air america” for proof of that.

And, moral relativism “nina totenberg’s statements are o.k., b/c she is a good liberal, while Juan’s statements, b/c I disagree with him politically, mean he should hang” is silly at best.

Saying you get uncomfortable when there are muslims on a plane is hardly “controversial” unless we are not allowed to base our feelings on facts anymore. God forbid we use facts to educate our analytical reasoning. That would be terrible b/c it would not fit into your silly, childish worldview.

Nina Totenberg is a disgusting hack with little to offer but hate, but she gets a free pass by you b/c you agree with her. How does it feel to a) support gov’t censorship and b) hate?

Idiot.

Monkeytoe on October 24, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Extra Special Prosecutor on October 24, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Hey, ESP, the 50′s called. They have your journalistic ethics on the 1955 shelf.

If you can’t figure out how biased the media is today, you can’t be helped. Nothing I say or do can open a mind blind to 40 years of evidence.

NaCly dog on October 24, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Isn’t it clear yet? The “firing offense” was not boycotting Fox News!

stonemeister on October 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Nina Totenberg’s job is about as safe as Mara’s…

NPR: If you fire Mara, the reaction you’ll see will dwarf what you saw about Juan…

Don’t even think about it…

Khun Joe on October 24, 2010 at 7:13 PM

He and Mara both were asked by NPR to either quit Fox or quit identifying themselves as associated with NPR several months ago. Needless to say the donors were squawking. The whole episode only highlights their complete lack of objectivity and further has shown Fox to be more open to dissenting viewpoints than NPR. I am hopeful this dumb move and the blatant arrogance shown by the NPR suits sounds the death knell for NPR. There is no current zero need for publicly funded media in this country, assuming there ever was.

pgrossjr on October 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Oh good, another issue by which to define ‘true cons’ vs. ‘RINOs’.

Anyway, it is time to defund NPR. I do wish that they’d leave PBS alone, though. I don’t want to miss out on my Masterpiece Mystery.

Vyce on October 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Extra Special Prosecutor

Your arguments are funny.

Basically, people are claiming that Juan Williams was being needlessly harassed in a way that Totenberg wasn’t by the higher ups for his contributions to Fox. Your rejoinder to that is that, well, he wasn’t being unduly harassed because he had been “sanctioned … for violating ethics guidelines” and Totenberg wasn’t, completely missing the point that those phony-baloney ethics complaints were the form that the harassment took. That’s like saying a guy couldn’t’ve been harassing his ex-girlfriend because he was too busy leaving creepy messages on her answering machine.

People are also arguing that Islam tends gets special treatment in these disputes. Your rejoinder is that William’s criticism of Islam was unreasonable because it “… could result in termination, even as a first offense” in another venue. Again, you are unintentionally making your opponents case for them.

Jesse said something nasty and Totenberg deliberately one-upped him in nastiness by wishing AIDS on his grandkids, too, who obviously had no control over anything Jesse said. If you think such a sentiment is “workplace appropriate”, I can only imagine what your place of employment is. Say hi to Satan for me on Monday, and tell him he owes me five bucks ’cause he was wrong on how the ALCS was going to shake out.

shazbat on October 24, 2010 at 8:19 PM

I really wish he would have just hit her with that quote of her wishing AIDS those people.

jawkneemusic on October 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM

@shazbat:

The Totenberg example is 15 years old, and a non-starter.

I find it amusing that you, and others, find it necessary to reach back 15 years and then misstate what was actually said.

Williams had a contract, which he signed and agreed to. He violated NPR’s guidelines in 2008, and again last week. His speech crossed a line. The workplace test is a good one. Most of us face it each day in the office. It is fine if he holds those views, but when he crosses over to advocating in public against a particular religion, that compromises his role.

The concept of ethics, and in particular actual policies, is apparently an alien concept to some. It really isn’t about ‘whatever you can get away with’.

Extra Special Prosecutor on October 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Bloody Obvious Reality to Krauthammer: Williams got sacked because he wasn’t towing the party line.

A libertarian who suggested on-air that legalizing pot wasn’t the best idea since sliced bread, or a conservative who questioned on-air the wisdom of half-baked permawars, would have been likely fired in fairly short order.

Dark-Star on October 24, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Extra Special Prosecutor on October 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Here we have the first — and as best I can tell the only person who has even anonymously defending this pathetic firing. The idiot who fired him is dodging left and right, but this dork thinks it knows best somehow.

Jaibones on October 25, 2010 at 12:44 AM

On FNS yesterday, Chris Wallace extended a hearty welcome to Juan W and said that “you’re among friends”….with that line, it sounded as if a coffin with the letter NPR were getting nailed shut and lowered into the ground.

ted c on October 25, 2010 at 6:20 AM