Video: Why is Chris Coons running attack ads against O’Donnell?

posted at 6:51 pm on October 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Ben Smith, I thought for sure we’d get a bunch of new polls on this race this week but it’s been eight days since Rasmussen reported an 11-point lead. The fact that he’s running an ad isn’t all that interesting — he’s got to spend his money on something, after all — but if this race is in the bag, why is he also reversing course on ending the Bush tax cuts?

“I am committed to extending the Bush tax cuts for 98 percent of Americans for everybody making up to $250,000, but I would extend them for everyone,” the Democratic candidate for Delaware’s Senate seat told me on “GMA.”

“I’d be willing to extend them for several years for all Americans, of whatever income if that also allows us to reach a bipartisan compromise that makes real progress in offering tax relief to small and medium businesses, to the home office exception, to research and development,” he said.

That contradicts President Obama’s position and Coons’ own campaign website, which states “High-Income Bush Tax Cuts Should Expire on Schedule.”

Her big attack on him thus far has been for raising taxes; evidently, it’s effective enough even in big blue Delaware to have this guy suddenly pulling a volte-face. Hmmmm.

Two ads for you, actually, the first from Coons and the second O’Donnell’s new one. Interesting that he’s decided to attack here instead of pushing a more positive “Chris Coons loves apple pie and puppies” message. No doubt he’s worried about turnout, and let’s face it: He’s much more likely to get liberals excited by bashing O’Donnell than by pushing his own vaporous appeal.

Comments

I’ve heard that the ads leak over into Pennsylvania, where Sestak has been helped by the image of conservative candidates being loony.

Not sure if it’s true but that’s what I’ve heard.

amerpundit on October 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

TCJ poll yesterday:

Coons: 51%

COD: 44%

technopeasant on October 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

The can laugh it up all they want. Just don’t turn out.

John the Libertarian on October 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Why is Chris Coons running attack ads against O’Donnell?

Oh I don’t know, maybe because piling on is fun or something?

Aitch748 on October 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I’ve been polled via telephone 3 times in 2 weeks. And I lie, lie, lie. I’m a Democrat. Yes, I voted for Obama. I am absolutely going to vote Democratic down the line.

/These people have no idea.

Key West Reader on October 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Ah: Delaware is served by the Philadelphia TV market. And two of the three top stations serve Philly as well.

amerpundit on October 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

As Rush has stated, this race is much closer than what is reported. If dems turnout is low, we are looking at an upset.

JVelez on October 22, 2010 at 6:59 PM

True, but at this point in the race, being double digits ahead in the polls, isn’t it still smarter to elevate yourself above the race in that “i like puppies and apple pie” sort of way?

Weight of Glory on October 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

technopeasant on October 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Woot! More please!

alwaysfiredup on October 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Key West Reader on October 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

I like your style.

John the Libertarian on October 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

technopeasant on October 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I don’t know that polling firm at all, though; neither Real Clear Politics or Pollster.com bothers to track them either. I want a poll I can be confident in.

Allahpundit on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I said on another thread, a few days back…that in Delaware, nothing is as it seems. Maybe I’m right? lol

Maybe Coons internals are telling a different tale?

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

If COD keeps on message attacking Coons voting record, then she just might have a chance of winning.

Kini on October 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Two possibilities:

(1)Some Secret Magic Poll has them much closer than we are lead to believe;

(2)This is the fake competitive race that the Dems win and use as a veil/smoke screen/narrative to pretend they were just not decimated (ok, maybe this and a few other races, like Barney Frank and, G-d forbid, Boxer.

Whatever. I’m still puzzled that DE is portrayed as being as liberal as it is. Is it simply possible that, like here in NY (but only more so because the state is so small), non-lefties/Dems stay on the sidelines and don’t bother voting because it’s usually hopeless? Why would DE be so much more liberal than either NJ or MD? It’s not Berkeley…

ParisParamus on October 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Why would DE be so much more liberal than either NJ or MD? It’s not Berkeley…

ParisParamus on October 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM

It’s not. The pro-Castle side has built the state up to be a little more liberal than it really is.

alwaysfiredup on October 22, 2010 at 7:09 PM

The big headache for politicians and pollsters right now is that they have no idea whether their turnout models are correct or not. I suspect the unweighted numbers are giving the Dems the shakes and amazing the Repubs, but no one knows how to adjust them. In fact, no one is even sure if they should be adjusted.

Hence the Dems try to apply the old turnout weightings and claim that all is well (or at least manageably bad) and the Repubs are saying that we’re heading for a big win. And some are saying forget the old models, this is going to be a tsunami like in ’94 — that is 1894.

And Coons doesn’t know either and so, he might as well play it safe and attack, attack, attack since he has the money to do so.

PackerBronco on October 22, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Does Chris Coons have a fully-functioning human brain?

Sounds pretty mousy to me.

profitsbeard on October 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Maybe Coons internals are telling a different tale?

Yeah, otherwise, why even mention O’Donnell’s name in an ad at all?

john bono on October 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Devastating ad from Sharron Angle. “Welcome to Nevada, Mr. President.”

takeamericabackin10 on October 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Former Gov Pete Dupont wrote an op-ed today endorsing Christine O’Donnell. That could be a reason. I think actually that should be the highlight of the thread and not Coons ad, or AP would you like that knowledge to be buried?

technopeasant on October 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Some perspective:

The last Class I GOP senator from Delaware was Bill Roth. Fiscal conservative but anti-Second Amendment. Also had a penchant for securing federal pork.

The last Class II GOP senator was J. Caleb Boggs. He was actually described as a “militant” environmentalist by Robert Byrd.

amerpundit on October 22, 2010 at 7:15 PM

I saw Rasmussen on Fox the other night and he emphatically declared O’Donnell had not shot, the race was over. I trust him, yet at the same time I’m curious why the Democrats are focusing so much on this one race which is supposedly locked up.

JammieWearingFool on October 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Perhaps local news stories such as this…

Kermit on October 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Maybe Coons internals are telling a different tale?

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

I’m telling you all. I can’t find anyone in my family or circle of friends who is against Christine O’Donnell. I’ve talked to about 35 people in my personal circles. Everyone is pissed at the Democrat’s swindle against America. Several of them consider them selves Democrats.

Egfrow on October 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Eric Dondero, prominent libertarian and who has been working on COD’s campaign since March 4th considers this a “game-changer”.

technopeasant on October 22, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Christine would do well to keep the relationship of Coons as tight and under the wing of Obama, Pelosi, and Ried. She will win.

Egfrow on October 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM

This is probably in effect for Maryland too…

ninjapirate on October 22, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Forget the polls. This election will be different from all others. The American people know what needs to be done to stop socialism. The socialists need to be voted out. Goodbye Harry, Babs, and Coons……

DeweyWins on October 22, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Coons is about to capsize.

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

To elevate Christine O’Donnell… she bleeds into Pennsylvania and Maryland… they can raise money off of her and transfer it out of state…

ninjapirate on October 22, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Yeah, otherwise, why even mention O’Donnell’s name in an ad at all?

She’s already well known…

ninjapirate on October 22, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Rasmussen poll out today has Toomey leading by 4, his last pol had Toomey by 10.

Jon0815 on October 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Harry Reid’s PET says it all. All of the trash talking distorting reality means nothing when Harry (the war is lost) Reid loves you. Two more years of Reid’s leadership and we are in deep trouble and Coons is his rubber stamp. Not sure what we get with O’Donnell, but damn sure what we get with Coons.

volsense on October 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

JammieWearingFool on October 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM

I am pretty sure that Rasmussen called a couple other races as well but Dick Morris wasn’t so sure. Hoping for a pleasant surprise.

fourdeucer on October 22, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Coons don’t like the spotlight.

SouthernGent on October 22, 2010 at 7:30 PM

When Obama and BiteMe have to campaign to keep a seat they have had for almost 4 decades, something is up. Harry’s PET made a huge blunder when he mis-spoke on the First Amendment and the law students in the audience immediate show of ignorance in unison was amusing too.

volsense on October 22, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Does Chris Coons have a fully-functioning human brain?

Sounds pretty mousy to me.

profitsbeard on October 22, 2010 at 7:12 PM

It is explained here.

scrubjay on October 22, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Why would DE be so much more liberal than either NJ or MD? It’s not Berkeley…

ParisParamus on October 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I don’t get your point. MD and NJ have exactly 0 Senators between them that are not liberal. So yeah DE is not more liberal they are just about the same.

angryed on October 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Not sure if it’s true but that’s what I’ve heard.

amerpundit on October 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

That would be the GOP’s fault my friend – for conceding the “whacko” attacks to the Dims.

The fact is – they don’t come any more “whacko” than Chris Coons and Sestack.

So that is a GOP corporate problem – not knowing how to run proper ads.

HondaV65 on October 22, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Does Chris Coons have a fully-functioning human brain?

profitsbeard on October 22,2010 at 7:12 PM

Biden has held the seat for 36 years. Doesn’t seem a fully-functional human brain has ever been a pre-requisite for voters in Delaware before.

volsense on October 22, 2010 at 7:45 PM

COD must generate a lot of traffic to HA.

visions on October 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM

It’s going to be interesting to see if the electoral polls pan out this year. They’ve been reasonably accurate in the past — and the biggest reason for that is that they aren’t worth spit if they aren’t accurately predictive. Polling organizations have to maintain a reputation if they want to keep their customers.

Issue polls are never tested directly in this way, which is why we should categorically have no confidence in them, unless they establish a trend over time that tracks with the occasional real-world tests like state ballot initiatives.

All polls conducted by random telephone call are inherently biased toward the concentrated urban areas, but the unrepresentative political blueness of those areas is not necessarily compensated for in the data-norming process used by the typical polling organization. The political sentiments that make people vote “blue” are routinely overrepresented in issue polls, simply because of how they are conducted. In electoral polls, pollsters have tried harder to get an accurate sense of what voters really, truly think and intend, and in what percentages. To take two good examples, they don’t mistake the blue sentiments of the megalopolis in New York or California as representative of how voters will go in the congressional elections of the red counties Upstate, or in California’s rural valleys.

But this is a really weird year. The self-appointed cognitive elite of our society, along with their narrative, are disinitegrating from within. It’s not out of the realm of possibility at all that most of the polling organizations out there are satisfied to get results they like, rather than pushing to get results that are accurately predictive.

Rush Limbaugh has already said the current polls are simply wrong. I don’t think we know that yet, but I do think this: there is NO poll out there that we can place high confidence in. We’ll know how well the polls did after 2 November. I don’t think much of anything is in a steady-state mode in this campaign.

J.E. Dyer on October 22, 2010 at 7:52 PM

I do not like the use of the term “Independent Voice” in a campaign ad. (O’Connell ad).

I truly hope she kicks Coons’ butt but she is getting BAD advice.

AnthonyK on October 22, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I do not like the use of the term “Independent Voice” in a campaign ad. (O’Donnell ad).

I truly hope she kicks Coons’ butt but she is getting BAD advice.

AnthonyK on October 22, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Will the Republican funding machine feel guilty if O’Donnel loses by just a couple of percentage points?

Speakup on October 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Speakup on October 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM

No, they will be celebrating.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM

/These people have no idea.

Key West Reader on October 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM

You are my new hero.

thebrokenrattle on October 22, 2010 at 8:00 PM

Let’s focus on what could be total sweet justice……

……COD surprises and wins the race and gives the GOP their 51st seat….and control of the Senate!!

PappyD61 on October 22, 2010 at 8:01 PM

COD must generate a lot of traffic to HA.

visions on October 22, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Americans love a good “come from behind to win” saga. The COD story has that feel about it.

I read almost every Christine thread just to drink it up.

I’m counting on you Delaware.

eyesky on October 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Maybe Coons internals are telling a different tale?
capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Egfrow on October 22, 2010 at 7:17 PM

35 people? Well that confirms it.

rjl1999 on October 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM

The red wave is about to wash clean 100 years of the darkness that was cast over it and the light will shine again to be become a the once great land that was it was made for. Be the wave.

Demplosion

tjexcite on October 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

I want a poll I can be confident in.

Allahpundit on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

ROFLMAO.!!!!! yeah because all those polls you are confident in got the primary so correct.

And you are so quick to link PPP polls when they tell you the story you want to hear.

unseen on October 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Speakup on October 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM
No, they will be celebrating.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 7:58 PM

maybe but if COD only loses by a couple pts the RINOs will be blamed. Now if she loses by double digits the Tea party will be to blamed. And if she wins the dem caniddate will be to blame.

unseen on October 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM

I read almost every Christine thread just to drink it up.

I’m counting on you Delaware.

eyesky on October 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM

not sur eif it will help or hurt. I think help but the groupthink media thinks hurt but rumor is PAlin might be planning a swing through delaware before the election.

unseen on October 22, 2010 at 8:36 PM

unseen on October 22, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Or the Fleming & Associates poll for WPRI-TV posted for the Mass. race between Sean Bielat and Barney Frank.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Ive been phonebanking in Missouri since August in an urban area and most people don’t answer and if they do they say they are Democrats. It used to be when I called that the Democrats would harangue me about calling for the GOP. But now when I get the question “Is this the Republican Party?”, an affirmative answer now receives a response like “I’m gonna tell you what I think. I hate Roy Blunt. I hate Robin Carnahan. But I have faith that some of these other new Republicans might knock a little sense into Blunt. There’s no knocking sense into Carnahan. So I’m voting for Blunt.”

True story. Preference cascade, my friends.

alwaysfiredup on October 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

tjexcite on October 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Pretty cool! Even Delaware went red.

Fox News should have this in slo-mo as a back drop on election night.

eyesky on October 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

COD needs to keep hammering on that Coons guy and throw him off the game. He’ll stumble, he’s trying to not lose. That’s a helluva way to play out the last two weeks. She needs to fight to win and she’ll gain some steam on him.

ted c on October 22, 2010 at 8:38 PM

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 8:37 PM

oh must have missed that one. allah links the polls that he feels drives his narrative and does not link the ones that don’t. It has nothing to do with confidence. I am starting to doubt it has anything to do with hits either. a COD poll showing her within 7 would drive hits but that doesn’t drive his narrative so he says he “isn’t confident in it”

I’ve seen it with the Palin polls the most but I’m starting to se eit with the COD polls too.

unseen on October 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM

This race is tight… Coons is a monster and the people of Delaware are finally waking up from their koolaid enhanced drunk. We are all watching closely Delaware, and that also means we have been watching the GOP establishment regarding this race as well.

Keemo on October 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

unseen on October 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM

Yup. I think she is going to win and hearing the RINO weeping and anguish when she does will be wonderful to see.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 8:48 PM

I still don’t get it how all these Republican votes that were gonna cream Coons are just going to disappear come Nov 2.

Something does not compute…

golfmann on October 22, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Thomas Jefferson “people get the government they deserve.

Sure Delaware can stick with Coons, and the Economical Malaise if they want to, that’s how Democracy works. But that means a whole bunch of Democrats, that are excited about that same malaise, have to turn out and vote for more of it.

Will See.

Dr Evil on October 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM

I want a poll I can be confident in.

Allahpundit on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Waaaaitaminute! Haven’t you quoted Vanity Fair and CBS polls? You have some ‘splainin’ to do. :p

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on October 22, 2010 at 9:02 PM

35 people? Well that confirms it.

rjl1999 on October 22, 2010 at 8:15 PM

on
That would be close and live family and friends i’ve been with face to face in the flesh not a hoorde of Fakebook friends. How big do you think Delaware is?

Egfrow on October 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM

She’s going to beat him.

SilentWatcher on October 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Okay. I thought whoever posted about the ad being over the copy and not going away and having no way to close it was being a tad melodramatic, but dude! What is the deal with these things?! That’s incredibly annoying!

UnderstandingisPower on October 22, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Yeah, I’d like to read this article. But I can’t because of the damn purple ad for Businessweek!

Alana on October 22, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I want a poll I can be confident in.

Allahpundit on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Dude

This from a guy who links CBS every time they run their bogus poll that claims every living organism in the known universe hates Sarah Palin.

Lots of fail their Allah.

I honestly don’t think we can trust any polling this year.

Wasn’t Mike Castle supposed to destroy O’Donnell?

She beat him by what, 8-9 points?

She’ll be Coons by the same margin.

Write that down.

gary4205 on October 22, 2010 at 9:31 PM

This race doesn’t have the feel of a done deal for Coons. The amount of attention it gets really sounds like a last ditch desperate mad dash to get some traction by Coons et al. Also, Coons ad actually invites a response from O’Donnell saying that Coons says some really wacko things. Dunno if it’s a trap, but it just seems like carelessness.

O’Donnell needs to get Coons to react. The more he talks, the more he stumbles.

MrX on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I want a poll I can be confident in.

Allahpundit on October 22, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Hey, don’t we all. This is the climax of the silly season. At some point, you have to rely on your experience, your gut, and your principle.

Missy on October 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I think he’s just a big ole’ jerk, frankly. That’s why he’s running this type of ad.

AnninCA on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Allah, don’t bait the O’Donnell fans. It’s cruel, and will only get their hopes crushed when she loses by 10+ points in a few days.

Vyce on October 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Weight of Glory on October 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Chris Coons gives off more of an “I like my stewed puppies covered in apple pie” vibe. The guy’s “optic appeal” is nil to negative.
The one really good attack ad on Coons, which was produced by “Friends of Christine O’Donnell” (if I recall correctly), portrayed Coons and his record as a big train wreck using B&W shots of fast moving steam trains that culminated in a train wreck. I’ve only seen it once, and that was here in Sussex County, the southernmost of Delaware’s three counties and the one that tends to vote in favor of the GOP. I don’t understand why it hasn’t been aired more.

ya2daup on October 22, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Sorry, I overlooked placing blockquotes in my previous post:

Weight of Glory on October 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM

ya2daup on October 22, 2010 at 11:46 PM

This is getting more attention here of late:

Bearded Stalinist: Chris Coons Sued Three Times For Firing People Based On Their Political Views

Over at AoSHQ.

ya2daup on October 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Not sure if it’s true but that’s what I’ve heard.
amerpundit on October 22, 2010 at 6:54 PM

As for DE Senate race ads “leaking over” to PA and MD and affecting races there, the TV stations on which the ads are broadcast are in those states. To attribute any softening of GOP candidates’ support in PA and MD to the DE race ranks right up there with Danny Glover’s assertion that global warming caused the earthquake in Haiti, IMHO.

ya2daup on October 23, 2010 at 12:08 AM

If the new COD ad cited above deals with the firing lawsuits against Coons and I am merely cross-referencing it with my AoSHQ post, my apologies. I’m posting via an iPhone and it does not provide capability to view embedded videos in these threads.

ya2daup on October 23, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Obama and Biden rally for Coons.

[from Free Republic]

Emperor Norton on October 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Odd how all the ‘concerned Republicans’ on this site still stick a knife in COD’s back every chance they get. What is it with you back-stabbing RINOs?

So you would rather help a Marxist, America-destroying slug into power, enabling Obumbler’s mission of economic destruction? Shame on you pathetic fakes – you would rather let the Marxists tear apart our country than shutup and allow a conservative to slide into office!

You ‘concerned Republicans’, RINOs, and outright troll-boyz are pathetically screwed up! I hope you enjoy our North Korea-like economy by the time you socialist losers and your boy-King get your wish.

Ogabe on October 23, 2010 at 1:31 AM

It’s all about the turnout. Coons is trying to motivate his supporters to go vote. They may indicate their support on the phones, but that doesnt mean they’ll show up at the polls; and COD supporters are surely more motivated than Coons’s. So the ads are there to close the enthusiasm gap, and to get them to go vote.

Red Creek on October 23, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Odd how all the ESTABLISHMENT REPUBLICANS ‘concerned Republicans’ on this site still stick a knife in COD’s back every chance they get. What is it with you back-stabbing RINOs?

Ogabe on October 23, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I’VE CORRECTED IT FOR YOU COZ IT’S NOT REALLY TRUE.

Only the Peggy Noonan and Karl Rove types love to see COD’s loss!

YOU HAVE ONE HERE WHO REALLY BELIEVES IN COD AND ALL NEW REPUBLICAN AND TEA PARTY CANDIDATES!

TheAlamos on October 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM

Coons looks like Mr. Magoo in that picture. Will COD voters be allowed to wear Bewitched T shirts to the polls.

Kissmygrits on October 23, 2010 at 7:53 AM

Vyce on October 22, 2010 at 10:19 PM

You’re wrong. I think she’s going to win this thing, but she’s certainly not going to lose by 10 points or more. And all the people whining about what’s wrong with O’Donnell should give her credit for stepping up and running in a tough environment. If she wins, it will be because she deserved it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Perhaps local news stories such as this…

Kermit on October 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Really? A 3 year old story is affecting him now?

mizflame98 on October 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM