Is Fox News more tolerant than NPR?

posted at 9:57 am on October 22, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

So says Michael Barone in a must-read analysis of the firing of Juan Williams.  But don’t take his word for it, because NPR’s omsbud says essentially the same thing in NPR’s defense.  First, let’s start with conservative analyst Barone, a long-time friend of Williams and also a Fox News contributor:

I’ve known Juan Williams for 28 years. In 1982, when I joined the Washington Post’s editorial page staff, I took over what had been Juan’s office and his telephone number, as he was moving from the editorial side of the paper back to the news side. In the preceding weeks, Juan had been working on stories about prostitution in Washington, and during the first several weeks I received some pretty weird telephone calls—something we’ve laughed about ever since. Over the years I’ve admired Juan’s journalism and  his excellent books—a history of the civil rights movement, a biography of Justice Thurgood Marshall. Most of all I admired him for writing Enough: The Phony Leaders, Dead-End Movements, and Culture of Failure That Are Undermining Black America–and What We Can Do About It, which I think was a national service—and one that exposed him to a lot of criticism. He has faced all that with steadiness which is apparent in his angry but measured response to his firing today.

Reading between the lines of Juan’s statement and those of NPR officials, it’s apparent that NPR was moved to fire Juan because he irritates so many people in its audience. An interesting contrast: while many NPR listeners apparently could not stomach that Williams also appeared on Fox News. But it doesn’t seem that any perceptible number of Fox News viewers had any complaints that Williams also worked for NPR. The Fox audience seems to be more tolerant of diversity than the NPR audience.

The right-wing intolerants of Fox News’ audience didn’t complain as much about an explicitly liberal commentator on Fox as the tolerant, diverse audience at NPR did?  Barone has to be joking, right?  Not according to NPR, where omsbud Alicia Shepard tried claiming that Williams had been the radio network’s biggest problem for years:

In 2008, I received 378 emails complaining about remarks Williams made on Fox – but I heard very little about his comments on NPR. My February 2009 blog post on the Stokely Carmichael incident drew 216 comments – many asking why NPR put up with Williams’ dual role.

In fact, since I became Ombudsman in October 2007, no other NPR employee has generated as much controversy as Williams.

That said, Williams provided a valuable voice on NPR.  His long experience as a journalist and background as an authority on the Civil Rights movement enabled him to offer insights that often enriched the network’s reporting.

Ultimately, however, it seems management felt he had become more of a liability than an asset. Unfortunately, I agree.

So …. it’s safe to say that Williams’ appearances on NPR weren’t a problem at all.  NPR’s entire problem with Williams is that he shared his liberal perspective with the supposedly intolerant right-wing audience at Fox News, where people enjoyed an actual debate.  It’s also pretty clear that NPR was looking for a reason to cut Williams, and leaped at what appeared on the surface to be their best opportunity without actually watching the whole clip and hearing the context of Williams’ remarks, which actually argued against the point of what Bill O’Reilly was making.

And so we have the rather amusing, if destructive, spectacle of a radio network casting out a true believer solely because he dared to take the faith outside the chosen circle.  NPR insists that it hosts the most diverse forums for political debate, but based on their own actions, they’re not interested in diversity or even debate.  Rather than relish having a liberal point of view presented in what they see as a conservative forum, they prefer to keep their liberal point of view within the compound — and so do their listeners.

For another perspective on this, Sean Hannity welcomed Dana Perino and Bob Beckel onto his show last night to discuss NPR’s treatment of Williams.  Will Beckel become persona non grata at NPR after admitting to the same uneasiness that Williams disclosed, and for which NPR fired their eleven-year correspondent?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Is Fox News more tolerant than NPR?
========================================

Doess a bear sh*t in the woods,er,wait……

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Boy it’s really starting to chap my a$$ that my tax dollars going to this sh!thole organization. I want it stoppped, now.

rollthedice on October 22, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Juan Williams is on Fox right now!!

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I was actually surprised by Beckel last night. I would bet money, that a majority of people in this country think the same way. It is a tad unnerving to get on a plane with Muslims on it, but that in no way discriminates against them. I think it’s now a natural apprehension. How can we not feel that way?

The problem is, the far left, (Whoopi, Joy, NPR included) won’t admit to the same. They think it, but won’t say it. So in their minds, we’re the bigots for being honest, and their tolerant, because they aren’t.

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM

That is apparently the truth.

Do you think that Fox would fire Wendell Goler for going on NPR and saying the same thing that Juan said? No…I don’t think it’d even cross their minds.

ted c on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Juan’s stock is moving way up. He is going to host BOR show tonight I believe and I’m glad that BOR is moving aside for him. I admire Fox for taking it to NPR like this. This is wrong.

ted c on October 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM

If the tables were turned and Fox fired Juan for saying he was afraid to ride the subway with Tea Partiers, we would be hearing how RACIST Fox news is right now.

bitsy on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Geraldo, so far, is the only person I’ve heard say he doesn’t think tax funding should be pulled, and used Sesame Street as a reason. *rolling eyes*

I like Sesame Street to an extent. My kids watched it, when they were little. But….they have over the years, continued to lean further, and further to the left. Helping to indoctrinate millions of young minds. When that happens, and both sides are no longer represented…why in the he!! should we, who don’t support liberalism, help to pay for it, and further it’s cause? This is in my opinion, an injustice to those on the right.

Is there any program, radio, or tv…that leans right, and is supported by all tax payers?

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

As an organization, sadly, yes. Even within their right wing lineup, there are miles of daylight between the positions of say, Andrew Napolitano and Sean Hannity. They are as manipulative of the actual news as any other organization, but they certainly seem more tolerant of varying viewpoints, however ridiculous they may be.

ernesto on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

More important question: How long are the changing fortunes of a mediocre “analyst” going to be headline fodder at HA and Fox News?

I suppose this is the current version of the American Dream: second-rate “journalist” fired because he said something his employers disagreed with, is championed by a cable network that claims to espouse opposing views, gets literally hours of free air time to whine, and gets a $2 million contract as a bonus.

Williams fed at the public trough for many years. He happily worked for a corrupt left-wing organization, abided by its rules, supported it. Now he’s a Big Hero?

I’m not buyin’ it. While Fox goes into an orgy of self-promotion and self-congratulation and Williams does his victory lap, those who are carting him around on their shoulders have been duped.

MrScribbler on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I was not the least surprised when I found out that Juan was on NPR when he started working on Fox all those years ago. To me it explained quite a bit.

TQM38a on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Geraldo works at FNC…

They’d NEVER let Hannity work at NPR…

That’s the difference…

Liberal hypocrites… Hope you’re enjoying the self-inflicted wound you just unleashed on yourselves…

Khun Joe on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Don’t forget Alan Combs!

pilamaye on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

Juan Williams is on Fox right now!!

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM

And he was on Fox ten minutes ago, not to mention all day yesterday, last night, later today, tomorrow….

MrScribbler on October 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM

So NPR throws out it’s only African American Commentator for stating a fact and what do we hear from the usual suspects:

chirp…chirp….chirp….

The silence from the NAACP,Sharpton,and Jesse is deafening…..

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Reminds me of a “debate” I heard on NPR back in the 90′s during the HillaryCare days. The host introduced two doctors with “very different takes” on the proposed law: the first guy liked it – the second, completely competing view, was a guy who LOVED IT! IT’S THE GREATEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!!!

Full spectrum of opinion, per NPR.

Hucklebuck on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Now Mara Liasson is being targeted by Media Matters as prime for firing – again, for her association with Fox News. It seems no true believer can be tainted with the stink of Murdoch in a liberal’s mind. You would think they’d be happy someone closer to their own views is going into the lion’s den to make a case for their philosophy. Instead, in their eyes it only makes them shills for Fox, a myopic and intolerant worldview which, sadly, is pretty indicative of the intellectual “reality-based” community.

Wellsy on October 22, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I really don’t think that the political views of the hosts on Fox has anything to do with the channels diversity. What speaks to their “fairness” is the fact that they welcome pundits from all walks of the political spectrum on to voice their views and opinions on issues that Americans care about.
From what I understand that is something that is not offered on NPR. Please correct me if I am wrong because I don’t listen to NPR.

milwife88 on October 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM

After watching Megyn Kelly’s analysis of his legal standing to sue the beejesus out of NPR, I hope he DOES pursue and take Soros’ $1.8 mil. He has a good case because he was allegedly a long-time repeat offender, yet NPR did nothing for years. Then all of a sudden – Whop! It’s a contract issue he can likely easily win. Wouldn’t that be a hoot???

DaBeesKnees on October 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Well, Fox is certainly more tolerant than CAIR.

Vashta.Nerada on October 22, 2010 at 10:16 AM

bitsy on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I wonder what Professor Henry Louis Gates thinks about the firing of Juan Williams. Seems that Gates loves to open his piehole and screech about the treatment of black men in America…well, Perfessor, looks like a bunch of whiteys at NPR just fired the lone black guy…. *this is what I hear*

ted c on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

In 2008, I received 378 emails

Hahahahaha!!! I would be shocked if AP didn’t get at least that many a week complaining about his Palin posts. Keep up the good work guys.

Dawnsblood on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

the source of complaints from FOX is the result of Media Splatters paying someone to watch FOX 24/7

I assume they have no reason to monitor NPR

When they get a gotcha statement they mass email it – you can be sure this is how CAIR found out about what he said

iam7545 on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Williams was doing the kind of stereotyping in a public platform that is dangerous to a democracy. It puts people in categories, as types – not as individuals with much in common despite their differences.

Ican only imagine how Williams, who has chronicled and championed the Civil Rights movement, would have reacted if another prominent journalist had said:
============================================================

“But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see an African American male in Dashiki with a big Afro, I get worried. I get nervous.”

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Until FOX News covers the likes of Michael Savage, NO. Fox is not more “tolerant” than NPR. It isn’t as if Juan Williams wasn’t already working for Fox. It isn’t as if Juan Williams ever discredited Fox as a reliably “balanced” news source, challenging Fox to views not already espoused in the Fox political complexion. This new contract is purely opportunistic on Fox’s part. Fox is not going to suffer any loss of viewers by giving Williams a larger role and larger pay check. And they look so “nice” with the gesture.

Morons need not argue that I discredit Fox for taking advantage of this situation for their own profit. It is what it is; that’s all.

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Follow the money, NPR took 1.8 million dollars from George Soros. They are purging any non conformist from NPR. That’s how the Left, not Liberals work. Fascism the American Tax Payer, shouldn’t have to subsidize a Fascist out let.

Fox News is guilty of running their network as a business. NPR & Huffington Post are being run like Soros Propaganda Tentacles. I don’t know why Soros is ponying up so much dough. Who is he going to convert? – no one. He is just keeping the leftist storefront open for the choir. What does that tell me? The leftist base is shaky.

I can’t wait for the Congressional Investigations to start in January of 2011. I wonder if Soros’s name will come up? I don’t really wonder GRIN.

Dr Evil on October 22, 2010 at 10:19 AM

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Defund NPR!

carbon_footprint on October 22, 2010 at 10:21 AM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

And Skeletor.

BacaDog on October 22, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Is Fox News more tolerant than NPR?

File this under, “Questions, Stupid”, with a cross filing under, “Answers, Obvious”

ya2daup on October 22, 2010 at 10:23 AM

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM

That is why they screech like stuck pigs: The Juan Williams of the world have the spine to say what they are feeling but have no stones themselves to voice.

red131 on October 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM

The silence from the NAACP,Sharpton,and Jesse is deafening…..

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

That’s expected and a good thing.

Juan sees who is supporting him and who isn’t.

How long before he subs for Rush?

Kind of.

artist on October 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM

headline says it all.

ted c on October 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Liberal group zeroes in on next target: NPR correspondent and Fox News contributor Mara Liasson
The Daily Caller, by Chris Moody, targeting Media Matters

Should NPR fire Ms. Liasson, and were FOX to offer her a higher stake with them, FOX would still not be “more tolerant than NPR” because Liasson is already with capacity at Fox. They’d simply be monopolizing her rather than borrowing her from the liberally progressive forces. “Fair and balanced” — get a grip.

To be “more tolerant” than they currently stand against the prejudiced NPR, FOX would need to compensate for monopolizing Juan Williams’ affect on FOX by lending further emphasis on the opposite side of the political spectrum. THAT’S “fair and balanced” with the claim of being “more tolerant”.

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM

ernesto on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Kindly provide us with some credible examples of Fox “manipulating” the news.

Del Dolemonte on October 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Is Fox News more tolerant than NPR?
========================================

Doess a bear sh*t in the woods,er,wait……

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:00 AM

That gives me a good idea, get the guy from the Geico “state the obvious” commercials (e.g., little piggy all the way home, wood chuckers chuck wood, etc.) and use that format on Democrats.

- Do Democrats promote big government?
- Will ObamaCare cause bigger deficits and less effective health care?
- Will cap and trade reduce economic growth?

A candidate could have a lot of fun with this.

WashJeff on October 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM

This is similar to what would happen if a Muslim went to a Christian church and had a public theological debate. The only difference is that the consequence for that is sudden loss of head.

Nevertheless, CAIR and NPR agree on the same underlying principle.

RadClown on October 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM

yes… unless your Nina Totenberg.

mjbrooks3 on October 22, 2010 at 10:30 AM

The silence from the NAACP,Sharpton,and Jesse is deafening…..

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

That’s expected and a good thing.

Juan sees who is supporting him and who isn’t.

How long before he subs for Rush?

Kind of.

artist on October 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM

artist! excellent kind of jab, there. Funny question.

RE: Rush subs, is Ditto jealous of Mark Steyn to the point that Rush avoids needing a sub?

Baxter Green, the deafening silence from the NAACP et al. is “better” than what NOW provides for conservative women.

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:31 AM

So NPR throws out it’s only African American Commentator …
Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

If I agree with NPR, then I am R@cist.
If I agree with Juan, then I am R@cist.

barnone on October 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Of course, Fox is more tolerant than NPR. O’Reilly certainly leans to the right in his views, but successfully strives to have an ideological balance among his guests. Unless they legally support child molesters, he is also unfailingly courteous to them, no matter how outrageous their views seem. Of the evening broadcasters, Hannity is by far the most ideological and almost all of his guests share his views, but even his conservative loaded “Great-American” panels are more balanced than the “panels” at NPR, which totally shut out conservative viewpoints.

That being said, it is obvious that a primary reason why Fox viewers are rallying around Williams is that he is a decent, thoughtful guy. Backing by conservations of a Geraldo would be lukewarm in an identical situation, with many here saying he “deserved” it. Indeed, this is what happened when a number of years ago the New York Times trashed Geraldo based on its dishonest report of his role covering a rescue taking place in NYC.

The lesson here is that those even on the right are more willing to listen to viewpoints they strongly disagree with if they trust the integrity of the person making them.

ptolemy on October 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Try this again!
=================================================
NPR

Audited Financial Statements and 990s

NPR operates on an October 1 – September 30 fiscal year. Documents referenced on this page are posted as soon as they become available. To open any of the documents below,

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

How long are modern day Democrat trash going to be defining themselves, with no help from political opponents, for all the world to see?

You know Vivian. I see the next blonde moment in your future. Sugar Daddy Soros has the opening shot at Media Matters For Retards Normally Listening to NPR. You have your marching orders. Your listeners demand no less!

MNHawk on October 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Juan Williams, please, cash-in on this stupidity of NPR. You have been made a star.

SC.Charlie on October 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

“We have made our policies clear to Juan in prior conversations and warnings, and he has continued to violate our principles,” said Dana Davis Rehm, an NPR spokeswoman. “When an analyst states personal opinions on an issue, our feeling is they have undermined their credibility as an analyst.”

Translation “The only black person on NPR “Strayed” off the Plantation.”

Racism, Fascism, Totalitarianism, you name it The Progressive Left is full of ugly isms LOL!

From the folks who gave us Woodrow Wilson, what else would we expect?

Dr Evil on October 22, 2010 at 10:33 AM

MrScribbler on October 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM

And he is filling in for O’Reilly tonight.

barnone on October 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Del Dolemonte on October 22, 2010 at 10:27 AM

heh, FOX “manipulation of the news” is coverage for “radical” conservative interests that are extremely popular in America, much to the angst of liberally progressive interests.

Touching on the Verboten Constitution is not tolerated by the MSM unless to rape and plunder conservatism via whole cloth slander and Marxist revisionism.

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:35 AM

A candidate could have a lot of fun with this.

WashJeff on October 22, 2010 at 10:28 AM

WashJeff: I originally was thinking of,does a Grizzly
Mama,but,ahem!:)

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

In PBS’s defense, as a new father I was very grateful for PBS’s nonstop programming for toddlers, which goes way beyond Sesame Street these days to include Teletubbies, Barney and numerous spelling shows — without advertisers slamming the kids with toy and food commercials.

And once in awhile PBS will have live concert broadcasts that are really cool, but typically it’s all around yet another pledge drive.

John the Libertarian on October 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Juan Williams is on Fox right now!!

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:04 AM
=======================

MrScribbler on October 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM

MrScribbler: Correct you are!!!:)

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Yes, FNC is more tolerant and more likely to have -tough- debates, with both sides well represented.

dogsoldier on October 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM

The point, for some who seem to be trying really hard to not to get it, is that Fox is the one place you can go to see actual conservatives debating actual liberals. Whether Fox is manipulative or opportunistic or whatever is besides the point.

In other words, the epistemic closure is all on the left, e.g. NPR.

A Balrog of Morgoth on October 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

An interchangeable word… Colmes.

mizflame98 on October 22, 2010 at 10:42 AM

The silence from the NAACP,Sharpton,and Jesse is deafening…..

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Baxter Greene:Yup,Try’n to find out,who said this!!:)
=====================================================

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM

without advertisers slamming the kids with toy and food commercials.

John the Libertarian on October 22, 2010 at 10:36 AM

I’ve got Noggin for that. YMMV.

A Balrog of Morgoth on October 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM

NPR’s federal money has to be stopped. I would also question their corporate contributors. Why do businesses support the explicitly anti-business agenda of NPR and public broadcasting in general?

Metanis on October 22, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I have a better headline for a blog post “Who is going to dress up as George Soros for Halloween?” let’s make some lemonade out of the Nazis sympathizer. That’s how capitalism works…”Ole Scary Dude” customs big hit for scary Halloween customs 2010. It accomplishes two things, it’s funny to all of us who get what Soros is doing, and all those folks who don’t watch the news or bother to be informed get enlightened about- who the puppet master is that is causing the decline for American’s lifestyles in this county.

The President and Axelrod couldn’t make Joe Barton or John Boehner a Democrat Target for the mid terms they tried by repeating their names over and over, but their base is too dense. We should show them how you create a “villain” to whip up your political base GRIN.

Thanks For Playing Ole Scary Dude ;)

Dr Evil on October 22, 2010 at 10:46 AM

From my perspective, I disagree with Juan being fired, but I am glad that NPR has gotten rid of a sensible, honest journalist. The fewer reasonable people who work at NPR the better. Sooner or later everyone will see them for who they really are, a bunch of liberal kooks, and won’t be able to point to good people like Juan Williams to suggest otherwise.

Storms on October 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM

So,the Liberals have opened a new Front on
this Divide/Conquer War!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:47 AM

@ 10:18 and 10:27

ptolemy on October 22, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Sure, FOX has the precedence of tolerance, allowing arguments representing contrary views, whereas NPR’s precedence is liberal intolerance.

Nonetheless, I argue that FOX offering Juan Williams the new contract is not of itself a qualification proving FOX more tolerant than NPR because FOX is not taking a different stand than it previously held. In fact, augmenting Williams’ roll with FOX does not provide “more” fair balance in the FOX political makeup; rather, if anything “more” Williams’ manifests an imbalance of whatever “fair and balanced” premise FOX promotes.

Unless FOX augments the element of constitutional conservancy which has yet to find a champion at FOX, FOX remains intolerant of Libertarian-Conservatism and criticisms of the Republican Party establishment from within the conservative element.

Currently, FOX shares an unpleasant feature in common with NPR.

FOX never raised a red flag against governmental political abuse directed against its own critic, Michael Savage. If being a pain in the @ss were the grounds for ignoring the British ban against Savage, then no, FOX is not more “tolerant” than NPR because FOX functions on the same premise of self interest as NPR, though political views may differ. One’s views are not necessarily the basis upon which one qualifies as being “tolerant” — particularly when “tolerance” is only extended in one progressive direction.

How hard would it really be for FOX to mention one of any Michael Savage conservative points, granting credit to the author of so many insightful quotes which FOX spokesmen pirated? It hasn’t happened; and that it will never happen is the basis for my argument. And were FOX to bring up any subject referencing Michael Savage, base “tolerance” on contextual “balance”.

Anyway, things are as they are. And yes, unlike NPR, FOX has covered both Republican and Democrat arguments made by proponents from both parties, which promotes the “fair and balanced” FOX motto.

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM

NPR [is] not interested in diversity or even debate. Rather than relish having a liberal point of view presented in what they see as a conservative forum, they prefer to keep their liberal point of view within the compound — and so do their listeners.

Close, but not exactly. First, they’re not “liberals,” they’re leftists. But okay, that’s a common enough mistake.

But here’s the molten-core point you’re missing: it’s not really that they prefer to sequester their “liberal” point of view, it’s that they despise “conservative forums” and even the idea of them, i.e., the idea they even exist at all. Despise to the depths of their being. For Williams to even appear on Fox concedes the existence and — Gaia forbid — the legitimacy of Fox. This is what they cannot stand and must destroy.

They wish to annihilate this idea, this existence, and this annihilation (which they cannot actually manifest) is instead enacted through other behaviors such as firing Williams. By firing him, they psychlogically at least (if stupidly and ineffectively) are trying to annihilate Fox.

rrpjr on October 22, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Morons need not respond to my comment regarding FOX lacking a “constitutional conservative” champion host.

Ex: Sean Hannity will call himself whatever is politically expedient, including “Libertarian” while Republicans are in the public dog house. That doesn’t make Hannity anything other than what he is, a champion of Republicans who will provide lip service to paint lipstick on his Newt Gingrich idol.

But times are changing given the Tea Party momentum. So FOX may reflect that change in time, though it hasn’t yet found cause to have “promoted” the Tea Party.

Follow the money, who owns FOX.

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM

But in the spirit of conservative unity, Go FOX!

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 11:03 AM

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Of course FOX is spinning this to make themselves look better. NPR is ridiculously biased and I’ve had to scream at my radio sometimes at the way they leave out salient facts on a regular basis. They aren’t as awesome in covering news as they think, and that’s before you get to the dripping condescension over conservatives/tea partiers and the fawning over Obama.

Fox gets to play the hero here: they actually get to look “fair and balanced” while highlighting how very unbalanced other places are. It’s substantive and stylistic gold. In the process, they expose unpleasant truths about NPR. Win-win. Just because they have other motives doesn’t make NPR any less repulsive and I’m glad they are pushing that message.

Me, I’d love it if there were a conservative radio news network as slick as NPR. I don’t care for talk radio and I see no reason why a conservative-ish version of “All Things Considered” (a misnomer for an NPR show if I ever heard one) wouldn’t work.

alwaysfiredup on October 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Kind of ironic that the NPR comment thread is not accepting comments on the Alicia Shepard post…

fsalw3 on October 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I never cared where else any FNC contributors worked. On the Special Report roundtable they have folks from all over.

It’s called diversity. Well, diversity of thought at least. Isn’t the left always championing diversity?

JammieWearingFool on October 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I’m beginning to sense that NPR’s firing of Juan Williams is going to hurt the Democrats on Nov 2nd. Already DeMint and Boehner have moved the issue of continued funding for NPR, PBS, and CPB from the back burner to the front burner. And comments of support for Juan by Bob Beckel, Alan Colmes, and all the usual liberal suspects (like Whoopi Goldberg et al), suggest that the Democrats are running fast and furiously away from NPR’s position.

Bob in VA on October 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Bob in VA on October 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM

It’s a great argument for defunding and an excuse to talk about all the liberal institutions that our government funds, while the conservative ones are privately funded. Love it.

alwaysfiredup on October 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Another brick to throw at the Dems…

Mmm mmm mmm…

PASS THE PUDDING!!

Khun Joe on October 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I get a little uncomfortable when I see young black men in baggy jackets when it’s not really chilly out. Does that make me a racist?

skydaddy on October 22, 2010 at 11:13 AM

I watch the panel on Fox virtually every day and the reason I watch is because the panelists not only have the same opinion as I do about worldly events, they also offer up an opposing view. I like to hear two sides of an issue. What I also enjoy about that show is that the panelists who DO have different opinions state them in a civil manner and never end up trying to talk over each other as O’Reilly tends to do from time to time. Juan has butted heads with other panelists many times but he’s always done so in a civil and professional manner. To me, that’s why FOX rules the ratings. They don’t have any screeching harpies like Olby or Maddox or Mathews on the channel.

scalleywag on October 22, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Is anyone else annoyed by the way in which Sean Hannity poses questions? IMO he’s a poor interviewer. Look at how he starts out with Beckel – he spends a painfully long period of time stating and re-stating the obvious before giving Beckel a chance to speak. I agree with just about everything Hannity says but I can’t remember when I’ve ever heard him come up with an original thought. Juan Williams, on the other hand, is someone I often disagree with but I absolutely love to listen to. He is extraordinarily insightful, clearly sincere, and has the courage to honestly say what he truly thinks.

If liberals were truly interested in advancing their cause through compelling, intelligent debate, then they would not only be encouraging Juan Williams to appear on Fox News, but also to appear at Tea Party events and in all sorts of other conservative forums. He is one of the most articulate and well-reasoned liberals around. The fact that NPR has summarily axed him for daring to make his case to a conservative audience shows that liberals put more value on partisan bullying than on intelligent, reasoned discussion. No matter how intellectual they proclaim themselves to be, actions speak louder than words.

texasentrepreneur on October 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM

alwaysfiredup on October 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Oh yes. Let’s go through the budget with a fine toothed comb and pull out all the sneaky grants to ACORN and ACORN fronts, liberal ‘think’-tanks, contribution-laundering outfits like Tides, and ‘grants’ to the big rich multinational environmentalist corporations. How much money is hidden in there for Sierra and WWE? How much for goofy ‘arts’ programs which are nothing more than liberal propaganda outfits? How much money for the promotion of islam in America and across the world?

slickwillie2001 on October 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM

maverick muse on October 22, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Neither one serve their constituents well.

But their blatant hypocrisy and activism towards liberalism needs to be highlighted as much as possible to help flush what little credibility they have right down the toilet.

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Is Fox News more tolerant than NPR?
========================================
Does Obama love to spend other peoples money?

The Expert Knows

HotAirExpert on October 22, 2010 at 11:38 AM

texasentrepreneur on October 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I don’t watch Hannity because of the same reason. I watch O’Reilly but he gets on my nerves sometimes because he tries to talk over people and cuts them off. I did listen to him when Juan talked about being nervous around Muslims in garb and my first thought was oh boy, the liberals are going to hammer him now. Sure enough, they did. And damn anyone who tries to defend him (the likely villians…Palin, Gingrich, etc.).

scalleywag on October 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM

TQM38a on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 AM

FYI – Juan was on Fox first, since 1997, for 13 years.

ornery_independent on October 22, 2010 at 11:47 AM

============================================================

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

…Juan might have gotten outraged.He is a liberal and hypocrisy is certainly the foundation of their ideology.

But I think you have to take in the fact that there are muslims all over the world killing people in the name of their religion.

Even though some are black…we are not seeing African Americans with Afro’s in Dashiki’s blowing up Airplanes and Restaurants on the scale of the jihadist.

I believe that a lot of the outrage we are seeing over this issue is more about the reality of what Juan was saying is shared by millions all over the world for good reason.
It is not really about Juan and his ideology….it is about the fact that a liberal was fired by a liberal organization for stating his opinion based on concrete facts.That’s not racist and any thinking person can watch this segment and see that.These opinions just happened to run afoul of the political correctness of NPR and their hatred toward a rival news organization.

Juan is just a symptom and now a lightning rod of a bigger problem.
The defense of what happened to Juan is more about exposing and fighting the incredible bias and hypocrisy of the liberal MSM than it is about defending Juan and his liberal ideology.

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

There sure is a lot of cognitive dissonance on display in the Williams/NPR flap.

After years and years of leftist psychotherapists ranting on about how “valid” feelings are (there are no “bad” feelings), ol’ Juan goes and talks about his feelings (a MAN, talking about FEELINGS!) and the next thing, the liberals at NPR have their delicate panties in a great big bunch.

This is just precious!

Ha ha ha.

Bruno Strozek on October 22, 2010 at 11:58 AM

‘Liberals’ love their plantation, the elitists to run it, the sheeple to be in it. Mr. Williams loves his freedom. His independence cost him a meager job and he’ll be better for it, for so many reasons. Most of all, he sees reality. It hit him with a club.

For another perspective on this, Sean Hannity welcomed Dana Perino and Bob Beckel onto his show last night to discuss NPR’s treatment of Williams. Will Beckel become persona non grata at NPR after admitting to the same uneasiness that Williams disclosed, and for which NPR fired their eleven-year correspondent?

Beckel also said that he canceled his NPR donations.

I love the timing of this incident. It will have dire consequences way beyond what is yammered about. Think about this – for 3 days, at least, all media covers this, versus the Cars for Clunkers Pimp and his court.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Why is the left forcing out moderates?

Speakup on October 22, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Didn’t Valerie Jarrett say that “Obama speaks truth to power” regarding Fox? That s/b definitive…from the chicken-brains of the world.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Dawnsblood on October 22, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Really! ONE complaint email a day is too much for the tender flowers that work at NPR? Not only should this Communist Party of America propaganda machine be defunded, they should be investigated under RICO.

TugboatPhil on October 22, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Baxter Greene:Yup,Try’n to find out,who said this!!:)
=====================================================

canopfor on October 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM

The article you link provides a great example of why the firing of Juan needs to be used as an example for all to see of the activism that has taken over the MSM:

Instead, this latest incident with Williams centers around a collision of values: NPR’s values emphasizing fact-based, objective journalism versus the tendency in some parts of the news media, notably Fox News, to promote only one side of the ideological spectrum

This talking point sounds no different than what you would hear coming out of Rosie O’donell’s or Nancy Pelosi’s mouth.
The hypocrisy and baseless allegations coming from a NPR representative who brags about being “fact based” is staggering but expected.

The facts are that not many people see this type of idiocy and bias on this level first hand until incidents like this happen.

It’s not about protecting Juan the liberal….it is about protecting the rights of free speech and exposing the hypocrisy and bias from the MSM.

Every time Juan’s face appears on Fox…..it will be the face that reminds people of PC gone wild and the blatant bias coming out of liberal institutions that yell about it the most.

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Free thinking is verboten.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM

By the way, Nazi stooge George Soros receives many millions of dollars in federal grants through his ‘Open Society’ non-profit fronts. To an extent, he is laundering donations from the US government to give to his extreme left-wing causes and to elect socialist-progressives in our government. Your tax money!

We need to pull all of this funding as soon as possible.

Good reference: The Williams-NPR Silver Lining

slickwillie2001 on October 22, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I’m not privy to the why this announcement was so hastily made. NPR could have waited until his contract ran out, or possibly suspended him pending a review. Either way, a more deliberative approach might have enabled NPR to avoid what has turned into a public relations nightmare.

It’s truly enjoyable to watch. May you go nothing but down.

Schadenfreude on October 22, 2010 at 12:27 PM

ernesto on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Fox News works aggressively to seek out fair & balanced perspectives, and all of the major Fox opinion hosts (except Beck) repeatedly demonstrate a willingness to confront opposing points of view on the air. In fact, the biggest impediment to Fox having more liberals on their airwaves is the fact that the Left in this country has been trying to enforce a boycott of liberal politicians and commentators for years. Juan Williams’ treatment was just the latest example of that. (I remember when the Democrats refused to allow Fox News to moderate any of the debates in 2008).

Outlander on October 22, 2010 at 12:31 PM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Marc Lamont Hill. Well that’s three words but it’s just one guy.

Oldnuke on October 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM

I’ve always thought the right wing were ones that were inflexible and intolerant and now I’m coming to realize that the orthodoxy at NPR, its representing the left–Juan Williams to George Stephanopoulos.

Another reality-mugged liberal?

Barnestormer on October 22, 2010 at 12:45 PM

All you really need to answer that question is one word… Geraldo.

Tuari on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Marc Lamont Hill. Well that’s three words but it’s just one guy.

Oldnuke on October 22, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Shemp Smith

slickwillie2001 on October 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM

The energy with which people try to deny a simple fact, such as that it was Muslims who attacked us on 9/11, is bewildering. Who are we supposed to believe it was, Hare Krishna??? If they are so weak-minded as to take this simple statement and turn it around into a blanket condemnation of all Muslims everywhere, they should not assume the rest of us are as incapable of critical thinking.

evergreen on October 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM

capejasmine on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 AM

SS makes a fortune in toy sales. There is no reason for taxpayers to be forced to pay, at gunpoint, for a profitable business.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on October 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM

NPR is the most tolerant network in America and they will silence anybody who say they’re not.

AaronGuzman on October 22, 2010 at 1:03 PM

In 2008, I received 378 emails complaining about remarks Williams made on Fox…

That’s because MediaMatters or some other anti-Fox News hack site made an attack post on Juan. You’d think the sophisticates at NPR would be smart enough to have figured that out.

Next time NPR tries to raise money through a phone bank would be a good time to call in and politely tell NPR what you think about them, effectively tying up their phone lines so they get less contributions.

OxyCon on October 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM