Dumb controversy of the day: New Bush library exhibit features 9/11 bullhorn, Saddam pistol

posted at 9:43 pm on October 22, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m … outraged?

The choice of mementos, emphasizing some of the more controversial foreign policy aspects of the Bush presidency, has reinvigorated opposition to the center’s presence at the university.

“It’s the approach they’ve taken all along; it fits their worldview,” said the Rev. William K. McElvaney, a professor emeritus of preaching and worship at the university. “It’s a tragedy for S.M.U. to hitch its star to this.”…

The new opening exhibit, some Methodist leaders said, provides a disturbing first glimpse into the presidential center’s priorities.

“I hope that a bullhorn will not become the symbol for the entry of the United States into an unjustified war and that a pistol of Saddam Hussein’s is not seen as some strange symbol of victory in that horrendous misjudgment,” said Tex Sample, an elder in the Methodist Church who helped lead the opposition to the Bush Institute’s placement at S.M.U. “That these should be the symbols of the values and commitments of the Bush administration and should now become the face of Southern Methodist University is cause for alarm.”

Yes, heaven forbid that the moment Bush tried to rally the country after the worst terror attack in U.S. history be allowed to him in his own presidential library. Better a “Bush = Hitler” placard rescued from some long-ago lefty protest to capture the spirit of the times. As for the pistol, I’m amused that anyone would think after seven years that that might somehow rescramble the public’s perceptions of war. Taking out Saddam was long ago priced into the question of whether invading Iraq was a good or bad idea. It’s a benefit of the war, but I think we’re all very much aware of the costs. Again, is Bush not allowed to make his case in his own presidential repository? If the library’s exhibits on Iraq end up being too rosy, I’m sure his critics will be happy to fact-check them for them the public. Loudly, often, and obsessively.

Comments

I have to laugh at liberal “preachers” who think they understand the real world enough to criticize the people who actually live in it.

AubieJon on October 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Better a “Bush = Hitler” placard

I want the “Bush worse than Hitler” signs. Oh, and a couple of giant puppets. Just to show the utter inanity of the Left.

rbj on October 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM

RAWR Bush just went into Iraq to get stuff for his library because he can’t read books!!!

/left

Grafted on October 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Huh, I don’t see a teleprompter..oh wait..that is reserved for someone else.

Electrongod on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I’d display the noose that hung him too if I were Booosh!!

Denverslim on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

They forgot to include an illegal alien.

Mark1971 on October 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Obama’s one and only contribution to his library- brass plated teleprompter.

fourdeucer on October 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Tex Sample really needs to get a life.

Mr. D on October 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM

It’s all Bush’s fault, of course. Oh, wait, no one in the MSM has said that yet. Or have they???

chai on October 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM

They won’t be happy until Bush reveals the details of his evil plan to take over the country by blowing the World Trade Center and blaming it on Muslims.

They are still nuts after all these years.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Priorities leftists. You have way bigger things to be worrying about these days. Like getting spanked on Nov. 2nd.

Grayson on October 22, 2010 at 9:54 PM

3-1 Texas lead!
And, oh, BTW, SMU is Bush country.

Marcus on October 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM

I’d display the noose that hung him too if I were Booosh!!

Denverslim on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I wonder where that ever got to. Because I think he should have included that….

mjk on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

The Obama Community Center Library will have Foreclosure Notice’s, Unemployment Checks, waffles and glass a beer

WoosterOh on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

What kind of pistol was it? Helwan?

Lanceman on October 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

No Saddam b@lls? Disappointing….

Hog Wild on October 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Huh, I don’t see a teleprompter..oh wait..that is reserved for someone else.

Electrongod on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

And I thought I would be the first to mention the teleprompter.

fourdeucer on October 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

And I thought I would be the first to mention the teleprompter.

fourdeucer on October 22, 2010 at 9:57 PM

No problem. A teleprompter and a Happy Meal. That should do it.

Electrongod on October 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Oooooooookay, let’s rewrite history right here, right now !
snort
IN TEXAS ?!?! Bring it on !

pambi on October 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM

What a preposterous thing for Mr. Sample to get his knickers in a knot over. It’s always “enlightened” leftards who want to ignore history (until they can rewrite it).

CantCureStupid on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM

As if any more proof was needed of the total moral bankruptcy of the American intellectual class. Somebody flush the toilet, it stinks in here!!!

Lew on October 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM

A “professor emeritus of preaching and worship”? Seriously?

Infidoll on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I’d display the noose that hung him too if I were Booosh!!

Denverslim on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

Along with Sodom and his boys heads. (misspelled intentionally)

darwin-t on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I shudder to think what would have happened if BHO had been POTUS on 9/11/01…?

d1carter on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I’d display the noose that hung him too if I were Booosh!!

Denverslim on October 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I wonder where that ever got to. Because I think he should have included that….

mjk on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I would kind of think the Iraqis would have first dibs on that one.

Count to 10 on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Anyway, this Tex guy needs to get a grip, and maybe a clue.

Count to 10 on October 22, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I shudder to think what would have happened if BHO had been POTUS on 9/11/01…?

d1carter on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

I lost count of how many times after those first few minutes I thought “Thank God Gore isn’t President right now…”

Missy on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Tex Sample, ain’t he Junior’s boy? I think I’ll give him a call. Wasn’t his phone# BR-549?

darwin-t on October 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I have no idea who the !@#$ Tex Sample is (should I?), but my first thought was to contact him and tell him what a doucheb^g he is. These liberal assh@les have become complete caricatures of themselves.

Dopenstrange on October 22, 2010 at 10:10 PM

he’s damned if he do, damned if he don’t.

Do what you want GDub….just think of what they’d say if you had one of Uday Husseins gold plated AK 47s in there (and yes, Virginia, they do exist)…

ted c on October 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Really. This should have been a ‘today’s trivia’ article in USA Today.

slickwillie2001 on October 22, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Marcus on October 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM

5-1 against the skankess !
Wow !!

pambi on October 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM

All the country’s problems would be solved if people were more light-hearted and laughed at themselves more often. Like Bush used to do. But then, not everyone followed Bush’s lead.

Paul-Cincy on October 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM

A tragedy? Really?

Coolest item on exhibit at the Nixon Library: The Colt .45 Elvis gave Nixon.

JammieWearingFool on October 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM

The voters are going to use a bullhorn on the democrats in just over a week.

SouthernGent on October 22, 2010 at 10:24 PM

WoosterOh on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

..and some worn-out golf club and shoes.

The War Planner on October 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Huh, I don’t see a teleprompter..oh wait..that is reserved for someone else. – Electrongod

The voters are going to use a bullhorn on the democrats in just over a week. – SouthernGent

One of these two MUST be awarded the Comment of the Day Grand Prize!!!

Tony737 on October 22, 2010 at 10:33 PM

That would be like someone being outraged by Barry having a teleprompter in his presidential library. Why would you not have the most iconic object from your time in office?

lizzie beth on October 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Q: What the difference between W and his bullhorn, and Barry and his teleprompter?
A: W could still speak without his bullhorn.

Dopenstrange on October 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Coolest item on exhibit at the Nixon Library: The Colt .45 Elvis gave Nixon.

JammieWearingFool on October 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Hoo boy! Wonder how many TVs got shot with that?

Lanceman on October 22, 2010 at 10:41 PM

A select fire Glock in 9mm. Able to accept something like 33 round mags. Last Held in Sadam Hussiens hands, hiding in a hole! Not many Glock 18′s around I believe.

Especially this one.

The “bull horn” was a symbol for a call to arms! It’s a museum piece!

BubbaGun on October 22, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I’m a Methodist, have a son considering SMU, am thrilled about this presidential library and the choice of mementos, and I think Tex Sample’s effort to taint President Bush is cause for alarm. It’s people like Tex that cause potential SMU students to look elsewhere.
For The Obama Community Center Library (good one) – one nicely creased pair of mom jeans.

redwhiteblue on October 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Oh, and another thing. Saddam could of went down in a blaze of glory, or virgins. With a full auto Glock and a couple of grenades you would think he would make the ultimate sacrifice???

Instead his mugshot looked like any hollywood mugshot of today!

BubbaGun on October 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM

redwhiteblue on October 22, 2010 at 10:50 PM

We don’t paint SMU because of that fool, honest !

pambi on October 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM

pambi on October 22, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I understand. Just cranky from all the nonsense. But…..YEAH RANGERS!!!

redwhiteblue on October 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM

Out of all the artifacts to make an issue of, the bullhorn from Ground Zero???!

I’m sitting here shaking with rage right now.

CreatedOrSaved on October 22, 2010 at 11:12 PM

I hope they have plenty photos of palaces, torture chambers, rape rooms and mass graves.

esnap on October 22, 2010 at 11:19 PM

For Bambi’s library,we must not forget to include some of Moochelle’s glowing WH garden vegetables.

DDT on October 22, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Oh yes..,..taking out one of the most brutal,genocidal regimes known to man was a terrible idea according to the same people who condemn the fact we did not stop how Iraqis treat their prisoners.

….These liberals are just to stupid to pay any attention to.

Baxter Greene on October 22, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Is the stained dress in the Clinton Library? Wait, maybe it is?

Caper29 on October 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM

WoosterOh on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM

..and some worn-out golf club and shoes.

The War Planner on October 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

..and a slurpee and a pack of marlboros

HawaiiLwyr on October 22, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Speaking of dumb, I followed one into my subdivision today. Right rear window bumper sticker the “Obama/Biden 08″ sticker, left rear bumper sticker, “Patriots defend the Constitution”. When she stopped at the community mailbox, I wanted to ask here which of those bumper stickers she really supported, because it’s obvious that she couldn’t support both points of view.

/Yeah, I guess stupid people live in my neighborhood

AZfederalist on October 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM

Mindless jackasses like McElvaney are going to be critical no matter what is presented. Put it all out there, let people decide for themselves.

Captain Kirock on October 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM

How does a guy named TEX have a problem with a gun??? This is a non-story.

The Expert Knows

HotAirExpert on October 23, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Some great ideas for items in the Obama Community Center Library.

I would also think it would be fitting to add a podium with just the numb for holding the fallen Presidential Seal.

WoosterOh on October 23, 2010 at 12:17 AM

WoosterOh on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 PM
..and some worn-out golf club and shoes.

The War Planner on October 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Don’t forget the used styrofoam slurpee cup and a set of car keys…….

djm1992 on October 23, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Loudly, often, and obsessively.

It’s amazing that after all this time people still argue about Bush taking out a place like Salman Pak. We still have news broadcasters that try and pound home this ridiculous idea that since Saddam didn’t personally buy the plane tickets for Momhammed Atta he was completely innocent in regards to International Islamic “Extremist” Terrorism, and Bush invaded Iraq because (insert ridiculous conspiratorial garbage here). Nothing about the fact that Zarqawi fled Afghanistan in to Iraq

Tman on October 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM

Loudly, often, and obsessively.

It’s amazing that after all this time people still argue about Bush taking out a place like Salman Pak. We still have news broadcasters that try and pound home this ridiculous idea that since Saddam didn’t personally buy the plane tickets for Mohammed Atta he was therefore completely innocent in regards to International Islamic “Extremist” Terrorism, “certainly not an immediate threat”. Yet Bush invaded Iraq because (insert ridiculous conspiratorial garbage here). Not because guys like Zarqawi fled Afghanistan in to Iraq or anything.

No reason. We invaded Iraq because Bush was stupid.

Loudly, often, and obsessively.

This has to stop.

Tman on October 23, 2010 at 12:32 AM

This nation needs to start tarring and feathering grievance artistes.

rayra on October 23, 2010 at 1:54 AM

A friend of mine who is a forensic psychiatrist used to mimic the left by shouting:

Booooooosssshhhhhh de Waaarrrr Criminalllllssssss

idiots on the left thought he was serious.

JP1986UM on October 23, 2010 at 3:12 AM

– rbj on October 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I agree. They also have a display of the plethora of anti-Bush stuff/junk that was offered for sale on the Internet. The left went insane over Bush.

SC.Charlie on October 23, 2010 at 6:40 AM

I recall reading a few years ago, an 18th Century satire on advice to a British officer. One of the chapteers dealt with the regimental chaplain. I’ll paraphrase the pertinent paragraph. “To impress others with your knowledge, speak often of such high minded things as the Trinity and the Virgin Birth. If you follow that counsel, the common soldier will never know how unintelligent you really are.” Tex needs to follow that advice.

sdd on October 23, 2010 at 7:16 AM

I shudder to think what would have happened if BHO had been POTUS on 9/11/01…?

d1carter on October 22, 2010 at 10:05 PM

But this would never have happened had BHO been POTUS. The world adores us now, remember?

DrMagnolias on October 23, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Rev. William K. McElvaney

The so called Rev inserting himself in “political” not a “spiritual” issue, can’t be expressing an opinion for all Methodist. He can only be expressing a personal opinion. Perhaps someone should pick up the blow horn and tell him so?

McElvaney, is not God and he doesn’t get to make pronouncements as if they are facts cut into stone, when they are just his own biased opinion. I question this man’s humility as a man of God.

Dr Evil on October 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I shudder to think what would have happened if BHO had been POTUS on 9/11/01…?

He’d be flanked by his teleblankie and would have given us a lecture on our obligation to get over our own bigotry.

Vera on October 23, 2010 at 8:48 AM

jp on October 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Typical libchurchers. I would say what they can do to themselves, but, unlike them, I am a real Christian.

WannabeAnglican on October 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Things are always alarming or beyond the pale with these clowns.

I’m with Angle,

MAN UP!

roy_batty on October 23, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Let me guess – Tex Sample is big on social justice.

disa on October 23, 2010 at 9:34 AM

AZfederalist on October 22, 2010 at 11:59 PM

“Patriots defend the Constitution” is probably a reference to the PATRIOT act, and the lefts obsession with the idea that it turned the US into a fascist police state.

Count to 10 on October 23, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I sometimes wondered what happened to old ministers when no congregation wanted them = a professor emeritus of preaching and worship

katiejane on October 23, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Mister Bush should have a huge, huge picture of Saddam looking up at our military guy inside of that spider hole they pulled his sorry ass from hanging in the library. Man, I miss President Bush.

nwpammy on October 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM

I am unexpectedly outraged at the response but “expectedly” “un-outraged” with the display.

I guess all those “loving Methodist religion” commercials have some unexpected issues…

karl9000 on October 23, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Hmmph. I say we defund the university and use the money for the library instead. That sounds like a better return for the buck. Obviously the university isn’t working out that well.

Timothy S. Carlson on October 23, 2010 at 10:12 AM

No problem. A teleprompter and a Happy Meal. That should do it.

Electrongod on October 22, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Let’s not forget one of the most prominent items in Obama’s presidency: His golf clubs

neuquenguy on October 23, 2010 at 10:14 AM

It looks like the Rev. William K. McElvaney has hitched his star to Saddam Hussein and his tyranny of terror. How can a reverend be taken seriously who doesn’t know the difference between good and evil? Lucky for him we can’t sue reverends for clerical malpractice.

Tantor on October 23, 2010 at 10:26 AM

The United Methodist Church jumped the shark a long time ago. This is why my donations go elsewhere.

hillbillyjim on October 23, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Was there ever any chance that leftists wouldn’t be screaming about Bush’s presidential library?

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 23, 2010 at 12:33 PM

jp on October 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Nice, thanks.

pambi on October 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Well, in fairness, the symbols of Clinton’s greatest encounter–the blue dress and empty pizza box–don’t appear in the Clinton Library.

FalseProfit on October 23, 2010 at 1:12 PM

These leftist are really getting on my last nerve.

mmcnamer1 on October 23, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Gee, aren’t lefties so *precious* when they’re surprised and offended that anyone might dare disagree with them.

I mean, their opinions are so *obviously* true, how could anyone disagree?

Whenever I meet a truly vapid, angry liberal like that, I just tell them they’re insensitive to my needs and they should consider other people’s feelings. Usually locks ‘em up like a wrenched gear.

Either that or they get into a logical loop defending Islamist bloodlust and condemning you for having violent thoughts.

Merovign on October 23, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Miss me yet?
– Bush

Let’s consider the possible items that will be featured in Obama’s presidential library:
1. TelePrompter
2. waffles
3. “I won”.
4. ObamaCare
etc.

I’ll take the bullhorn.

stevezilla on October 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM

At least there isn’t a stained blue dress.

Alden Pyle on October 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM

You know, a real man of honour would resign if he felt the library was such an affront to the university where he teaches.

andycanuck on October 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I seriously never watch MSNBC (ever) so when I clicked on this to watch I was shocked. I hear all about media bias on Fox (only station I do watch), but really never watch it in action. From the host, to the methodist preacher she reads, to the guy she interviews is there anyone there with a differing opinion on this? So skewed to the left it is scary… even the guy they interview is pandering to the right and saying basically let them have this little piece as history will show what a unjust war it was…

I almost laughed when he said we shall see an Obama one too… how scary will that exhibit be…

momof2 on October 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM