Surprise: Fox News signs Juan Williams to new $2 million deal

posted at 5:36 pm on October 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

When I joked about him being the richest man in town, little did I know.

The best part of this is the prospect of a feeding frenzy among Fox’s other lefty contributors to try to cash in by following Williams’s example. Coming soon: KP calls for militarizing the Mexican border in hopes of getting fired by the Daily Beast?

As National Public Radio weathered a storm of criticism Thursday for its decision to fire news analyst Juan Williams for his comments about Muslims, Fox News moved aggressively to turn the controversy to its advantage by signing Williams to an expanded role at the cable news network.

Fox News Chief Executive Roger Ailes handed Williams a new three-year contract Thursday morning, in a deal that amounts to nearly $2 million, a considerable bump up from his previous salary, the Tribune Washington Bureau has learned. The Fox News contributor will now appear exclusively and more frequently on the cable news network and have a regular column on FoxNews.com.

“Juan has been a staunch defender of liberal viewpoints since his tenure began at Fox News in 1997,” Ailes said in a statement, adding a jab at NPR: “He’s an honest man whose freedom of speech is protected by Fox News on a daily basis.”

To celebrate his new status as a full-time contributor, his new column is up at FoxNews.com. Title: “I Was Fired for Telling the Truth.” Read it all, but the most interesting bit is his recounting of longstanding animus among the NPR brass towards Fox News:

Years ago NPR tried to stop me from going on “The Factor.” When I refused they insisted that I not identify myself as an NPR journalist. I asked them if they thought people did not know where I appeared on the air as a daily talk show host, national correspondent and news analyst. They refused to budge…

Later on the 50th anniversary of the Little Rock crisis President Bush offered to do an NPR interview with me about race relations in America. NPR management refused to take the interview on the grounds that the White House offered it to me and not their other correspondents and hosts. One NPR executive implied I was in the administration’s pocket, which is a joke, and there was no other reason to offer me the interview. Gee, I guess NPR news executives never read my bestselling history of the civil rights movement “Eyes on the Prize – America’s Civil Rights Years,” or my highly acclaimed biography “Thurgood Marshall –American Revolutionary.” I guess they never noticed that “ENOUGH,” my last book on the state of black leadership in America, found a place on the New York Times bestseller list.

This all led to NPR demanding that I either agree to let them control my appearances on Fox News and my writings or sign a new contract that removed me from their staff but allowed me to continue working as a news analyst with an office at NPR. The idea was that they would be insulated against anything I said or wrote outside of NPR because they could say that I was not a staff member. What happened is that they immediately began to cut my salary and diminish my on-air role. This week when I pointed out that they had forced me to sign a contract that gave them distance from my commentary outside of NPR I was cut off, ignored and fired.

As I say, read it all or else you’ll miss the part at the end where he notes that, for such a forward-thinking progressive flagship, NPR’s on-air talent seem to come in rather few hues. As for the nascent defunding campaign, that’s picking up steam too: As you’ll see below, O’Reilly was pushing it hard earlier this afternoon — with more to come tonight on the Factor, no doubt — and Boehner’s already hinting that, in a time of budgetary overload, taxpayer money for public radio may not be there next year. That won’t be a grievous loss for NPR; federal funds account for less than two percent of their budget. In fact, the CEO was boasting just this morning about how little they rely on public money. So it’s settled then — no more taxpayer funding, no harm, no foul. Let the healing begin!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Fair & Balanced.

portlandon on October 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Congrats to Juan…Don’t you just love Capitalism.

hawkman on October 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM

If Teh One decides on a little race relations gabbfest on NPR they would say no to that too?

I mean, at least be a little bit honest with yourself. Yeesh.

WitchDoctor on October 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I know some people don’t like Juan, but I respect him and enjoy reading his books. Congratulations Juan, and I hope to see you more on FOX.

Rambotito on October 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

His salary is ten times the money than all the black person on MSNBC earn combined.

Apologetic California on October 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Good for Juan. Good for Fox News.

Jill1066 on October 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

The Right Thing To DO!!

I salute Fox News!!

canopfor on October 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

hawkman on October 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM

No. – Juan Williams.

lorien1973 on October 21, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Oh, in the other thread I called for Juan to spill the beans on NPR. Guess that’s already beginning.

Well played, Mr. Ailes!

Hannibal Smith on October 21, 2010 at 5:41 PM

I think Juan has his head on straight in terms of the black community; but beyond that he’s your typical big government leftist. And when it comes to that, he’s almost totally unreasonable.

lorien1973 on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Converting liberals, $2 million at a time!

PackerBronco on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Welcome Juan. You’ve found a good home

Kini on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Great! This is a win-win for both Juan Williams and Fox. I don’t agree with him on just about everything, but he’s a classy, stand-up guy who Fox should be proud to have on its staff.

He’s one of the few honest liberals left. If there were more like him we wouldn’t be in this mess.

crazy_legs on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

WTF. That is big money.

El_Terrible on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I’m not surprised. He is a very smart man who is if nothing else reasonable despite his political views. Try to say that about any other “liberal”.

milwife88 on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Btw,this is a beautiful thing,just before the Mid-Terms,
in regards to flushing out the EXTREMISTS that are in
the MSM,and Liberals that support them!!

canopfor on October 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Dear NPR,

Bite me.

Love,

Juan

amerpundit on October 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM

$2,000,000. Will he be donating 70% of what he makes above $250,000 to the IRS?

El_Terrible on October 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM

hahahahahahaha

That would be awesome.

darwin on October 21, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Defund public radio?

Defund Public BROADCASTING.

Skandia Recluse on October 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM

KP calls for militarizing the Mexican border in hopes of getting fired by the Daily Beast.

KP doesn’t have the same heft for Mr. Aisles as Juan Williams does. Roger Aisles is the cleverest businessman around! Good on him for taking care of JW, so soon and with such a clear message to NCR, formerly NPR.

The defunding will be significant, not for the money, for the rancor it will cause the far left.

Today will be remembered for a bad day in the annals of the free press, but for a good day for freedom of speech in the U.S.

NCR/NPR -1 million
JW several more million
Mr. Aisle, you magnificent bastid, you – good on you
Far left – sad decojonefied anti-liberal, anti-progressives
Right – in heaven

Timing – absolutely precious!

Actions do have consequences, not always the intended ones!!!

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Dude …

Smack! NPR takes one on the chin.

darwin on October 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Much as it is in life when one door is slammed in your face another door welcomes you in.

fourdeucer on October 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM

WTF. That is big money.

El_Terrible on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

It’s a Big Station, Fox is!

Now watch others at NPR start speaking their minds.

Kini on October 21, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Once again, the hypocrisy of the left in enforcing freedom of speech.

rjoco1 on October 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Way to drive a stake through NPR’s black heart. Time to end their funding.

John the Libertarian on October 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Oppressive not progressive.
That is the left in a nutshell.
Use of word attributed to others first.

Col.John Wm. Reed on October 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Glad this is blowing up in NPR’s face, but Juan ain’t exactly worth 2 mil.

greggriffith on October 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM

“Silence! I kill you!” NPR.

the_nile on October 21, 2010 at 5:48 PM

What the NPR brass meant here was: “You’re a black guy, an affirmative action hire. We didn’t mean for you to do any actual real journalism. That’s what our white reporters do.”

Liberals think everyone else is a racist — cuz they think everyone else is like them. Fools.

Rational Thought on October 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Ailes is a genius.

publiuspen on October 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Muahahaha.

Vera on October 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Good for him. I obviously disagree with him, but he’s always been fair, I’ve thought.

As far as the $2 mil, he’ll only get to enjoy it for another 60-some-odd days until he gets hammered with the tax hikes.

teffertoes on October 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Best thing that EVER happened to Williams. Of course, the retard lefties will now claim that being hired by Fox proves… uh… well, I’m sure it proves something.

Sugar Land on October 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

greggriffith on October 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Yeah, I agree.

Nice enough guy, but mouthing what passes for liberal conventional wisdom, ain’t exactly difficult.

Save that money for the guys who deserve it – pro athletes.

NoDonkey on October 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Juan Williams bugs me sometimes but I can take him. A lot better than that idiot Bob “heckle” Beckel. Besides his son is a Republican and ran for city council I believe in DC. Don’t think he won.

sandee on October 21, 2010 at 5:50 PM

lorien1973 on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

True – this is why the NPR is such a blunder.

Also, he’s not as annoying as Colmes, KP, Penny Lee, the dark haired lawyer lady from Chicago…He at least stands up to his own lefties and the black cabal, which takes much courage. He’s also pretty simpatico. As lefties go, he’s a good fellow. I’m glad for him and so happy at the negative consequences for NPR and their adherents.

Also, JW might go independent.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Good for you, Juan!

Half the time I think he’s a clueless liberal jackass, but I’ve always at least felt that he is an honest clueless liberal jackass.

JimRich on October 21, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Juan Williams is a liberal, but he is open-minded enough to think through his positions, and will occasionally concede a point to conservatives when they make sense.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he starts drifting right (or at least toward the center) on Fox. Greta Van Susteren was rather liberal when she first started at Fox, but she seems to be very critical of the Obama administration now, and regularaly interviews Rush Limbaugh and Rick Santorum and Jim DeMint, none of whom lean left.

Welcome to the real world of free speech, Mr. Williams!
Or maybe not so free, if you’re paid $2 million!

Steve Z on October 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Juan can now afford to fly Muslim-less Lear Jets.

He’s living the High Life.

NoDonkey on October 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM

NPR, you just rooked… and you got rooked bad.

Roger Ailes… sooooooper genius… yes. I like the sound of that…

JohnGalt23 on October 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Hmm. I tried to quote some of Greg Gutfled’s thoughts on this, but it got caught in filter.

Just read it here.

Vera on October 21, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Glad this is blowing up in NPR’s face, but Juan ain’t exactly worth 2 mil.

greggriffith on October 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Apparently, NewsCorp disagrees.

JohnGalt23 on October 21, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I agree about Greta. I used to think she was a super Lib, but she’s really fair. I am mad at her for saying Miller is gonna lose to Murky.

sandee on October 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM

That’s false. It’s upwards of 17% when you add in the money sent to their local NPR stations.

strictnein on October 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Even thought I disagree with 99% of everything JW says, I’m happy for him right now. And, I’m happy for FOX. Ailes just b*tch-slapped MSNBC and CNN. ‘Faux’ News hires prominent liberal to big contract? Sweet…

joejm65 on October 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Ailes really enjoys sticking it to his critics. More importantly, opinions expressed by liberals like Williams, Powers and Beckel are warmly welcomed and well rewarded by Fox News.

I miss those sharp, often angry exchanges between Juan and Brit Hume on Fox News Sunday. I will never forget Juan’s touching remembrances of Tony Snow. Those notoriously tolerant liberals at other media outlets could learn a lot about human decency by watching Fox News.

Terrie on October 21, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Yes!!!! I am glad Fox hired him, serves the idiots at NPR right. Snobs.

Terrye on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I wonder what Rick Sanchez is thinking right now. No book deal. No alternative contract offers. I heard there was a weatherman opening in Elbow, Saskatchewan.

Syd B. on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Living well is the best revenge.

AaronGuzman on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Mr. Ailes…you magnificent…..

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Good for him, and ::gasp:: good for FOX. This is one giant unforced error on the part of NPR, I’m legitimately stunned by just the gross managerial incompetence of it all. Juan Williams is a fine analyst; one of the best out there today. He’s an asset to FOX (one of few) and its smart of them to secure it once and for all.

ernesto on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

FoxNews… the last bastion of free speech.

Never under any circumstances give money to National Public Radio.

And PBS is questionable.

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I’m fair and balanced. Rick Sanchez shouldn’t have been fired either. But Rachel Maddow should have been dismissed. She didn’t even make an attempt to be faux-sincere with her faux-apology.

Buy Danish on October 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Getting fired by NPR? Best thing that ever happened to him.

Tres Angelas on October 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM

NPR acted stupidly.

tims472 on October 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM

NPR is either go private or start being politically neutral; I think Bill O’Reilly is right. All funding should be halted and an investigation should happen.

Nearly Nobody on October 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM

NPR acted stupidly.

WisCon on October 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM

tims472 on October 21, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Whoa!

WisCon on October 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Ya know,the Liberal Party,has allowed it to
be hijacked by the Progressive Socialist Nut
Cases!!

Its a DARK DAY IN AMERICA,my friends!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!CENSORSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And,btw,isn`t the WEST fighting a War on Terror
against this kinda sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my opinion,the Left are acting,like the Enemy!!

canopfor on October 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I think he probably has an unfair firing lawsuit against NPR if he chooses to pursue it.

sandee on October 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Idiots at NPR cut off their nose to spite their face. They did this to one of their own, who was making the same points they like to make.

All because the left is no longer happy unless they are actually able to control what people think. Or at least, to control their ability to relate thoughts the left disapproves of.

(But thinks plenty themselves.)

How 1984 all of this is.

Alana on October 21, 2010 at 5:58 PM

After watching the Megyn Kelly interview with that CAIR idividual I wonder how much Cair donates to NPR. Having that much influence over NPR can’t be good for anyone.

fourdeucer on October 21, 2010 at 5:59 PM

ernesto on October 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Do you really not see a pattern of behavior on the left that worries you? I can’t see how any honest liberal can stand for what is happening on the left.

I know you think the right is wrong, but we can listen to opposing views without losing our integrity.

Agreeing to disagree only happens on the right. On the left they shout “shut up”.

People like you… who are wrong about everything, by the way, need to take back the Democratic Party from these wackos that are running everything on that side!!!!!

We actually need a two party system, and at this rate the Democratic Party will destroy itself.

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Glad this is blowing up in NPR’s face, but Juan ain’t exactly worth 2 mil.

greggriffith on October 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Well, they are also paying for the free advertising that comes with taking him on following this controversy.

sharrukin on October 21, 2010 at 6:00 PM

A job created.

Rhinoboy on October 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Why do I have a feeling that all the balloons and confetti around here is going to be short-lived?

The Zoo Keeper on October 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Now Juan, WAKE UP to the hypocrisy. If you don’t get it now your hopeless.

rjoco1 on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

What I love about this is that it’s bringing what NPR is out in the light of day. So many of my friends and colleagues have always believed that NPR is a non-partisan news source.

This discussion is making it plain to everyone now that NPR is in no way, shape or form non-partisan.

ButterflyDragon on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

so it’s settled then — no more taxpayer funding

Would such mean that NPR would label themselves ‘National Private Radio’?

How dare they self name in a way that suggests they represent a public.

ignatzk on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Ailes really enjoys sticking it to his critics. More importantly, opinions expressed by liberals like Williams, Powers and Beckel are warmly welcomed grudgingly tolerated and well rewarded by Fox News.

YYZ on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Buy Danish on October 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Buy Danish: Holy smoke,an Extremist in government,MadCows
a nutbar,thanks for that!!:)

canopfor on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Welcome to the real world of free speech, Mr. Williams!
Or maybe not so free, if you’re paid $2 million!

Steve Z on October 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Hmmm!

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Glad this is blowing up in NPR’s face, but Juan ain’t exactly worth 2 mil.

greggriffith on October 21, 2010 at 5:47 PM

$2m/3yrs, 666K a year, not that much for on-air talent. The regular 2nd-tier shift folks like Martha, Doocy, Kilmeade, etc, are probably $300-400K/yr. Not clear how much airtime it means.

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM

hehe screw you npr

blatantblue on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Converting liberals, $2 million at a time!

PackerBronco on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Job creation by the private sector.

katiejane on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

If any liberal (notice I didn’t say leftist) deserves this it’s Juan. A good part of the time that he is commenting he doesn’t resort to name calling or rely on bogus facts.

If more liberals conducted themselves like this the debate would be tougher for our side.

P.S. He’s still wrong though.

Harpoon on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

YYZ on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Funny isn’t it? How the right is tolerant of other opinions and the left is intolerant of any divergent opinion.

sharrukin on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

This self-reverential attitude was on display several years ago when NPR asked me to help them get an interview with President George W. Bush. I have longstanding relationships with some of the key players in his White House due to my years as a political writer at The Washington Post. When I got the interview some in management expressed anger that in the course of the interview I said to the president that Americans pray for him but don’t understand some of his actions. They said it was wrong to say Americans pray for him.

Strange, to say the least.

It looks like they’d cut his salary and wanted him out and were just waiting for a reason. This seems to be just an excuse, but it will be one which backfires on them, in big ways.

Heh, the ‘liberal’ NPR only has one black male on air…ha, ha, the racists!

Also, it c/b that they hated his book “Enough”. The ones that like to keep people in the plantation might have objected a lot.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the $2mil for Williams happens to be just a bit larger than Soros $1.8mil offer for 100 new reporters for NPR.

Egfrow on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Now Juan, WAKE UP to the hypocrisy. If you don’t get it now your hopeless.

rjoco1 on October 21, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Really. Liberals are not liberal Juan. Snap out of it.

darwin on October 21, 2010 at 6:05 PM

CEO Schiller on Fox News right now rambling on about the why’s of Juan’s firing. She obviously is not a writer because she can’t make a coherent statement.

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

WTF. That is big money.

El_Terrible on October 21, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I wonder if he is now the highest paid minority talking head.

Irony is thy name o fox.

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

The Zoo Keeper on October 21, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Because Juan is still a Liberal and will not change. However, the same forces that want to stifle beck got him fired. and while Juan has the ability to torque me off to no end, I will defend to the death his right to have his Liberal viewpoint. And seeing his remembrance on Fox News of his close friend,Tony Snow, I gained a lot of respect for him right there and then

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Way to drive a stake through NPR’s black heart. Time to end their funding.

John the Libertarian on October 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Don’t forget PBS..:)

PS..I’m sorry I had to break away the other night..I have got that behind me ..hope to see you posting tonight..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Leftists are rarely forced to explain their actions. When they are, they usually stutter, ramble and lie.

darwin on October 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Who’s show?..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Who’s show?..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Special Report.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM

It was stupid and shoddy of NPR to fire him like that, but the guy isn’t worth $2 million. 90% of what he offers is boilerplate liberalism.

Kensington on October 21, 2010 at 6:10 PM

But..but..but….liberals VALUE divergent points of view. They say so on a daily basis.

Hypocrites!

GarandFan on October 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I gained a lot of respect for him right there and then

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Excellent post..I will even defend Marc Lamont Hill and Alan Colmes..I know that maybe pushing the line with some..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Alan Colmes isn’t feeling the love tonight.

meci on October 21, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Good for him.

RedNewEnglander on October 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM

i listened to a couple of local conservative talk shows this pm and a couple of people called in to defend npr

seriously, they need to get a better class of people to call in to radio stations

the insanity of the Left’s position wrt FNC is painful to watch…we have to suffer thru Beckel, the Temple University guy, and countless lefty minions….not to mention Geraldo….and they think that FNC is right wing.

i know that totalitarians are especially sensitive people, but jeez. but, i’m sure they are happy to be rid of Juan…you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet

r keller on October 21, 2010 at 6:14 PM

This makes me wonder. How much does, say, Bret Baier make? He’s got a show, so it must be more than Juan. How about Huckabee?

There must be sick money in cable news. Sick, Salem blogger-type money.

Rhinoboy on October 21, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I really want to see if the propaganda arm of the Democrat party will talk about this on their little nightly news infomercials tonight.
I’m sure Brian Williams will lead off with it. /s

jjshaka on October 21, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Mark’s usually oblivious to reality. Colmes whines too much. He tried to shout O’Reilly down, but Bill laughs at him and won’t let him. Megyn handles Colmes very well,
also.