Obama: Maybe it’s time for Democrats to show more humility

posted at 8:55 pm on October 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

The healing begins here, my friends.

In an exclusive interview with National Journal, Obama took a conciliatory tone towards the same Republicans he’s been lambasting on the campaign trail. When asked about how he would respond if Congress extended the Bush tax cuts — something the president opposes for higher-income earners — he offered a broader answer.

“I think it’s premature to talk about vetoes because maybe I’m a congenital optimist, but I feel as if, post-election, regardless of how it plays out, the most important message that will be sent by the American people is, we want people in Washington to act like grown-ups, cooperate, and start trying to solve problems instead of scoring political points,” Obama said.

The president sounded a cautionary note for his fellow Democrats: “And it is going to be important for Democrats to have a proper and appropriate sense of humility about what we can accomplish in the absence of Republican cooperation. I think it’s going to be important for Republicans to recognize that the American people aren’t simply looking for them to stand on the sidelines, they’re going to have to roll up their sleeves and get to work.”

Is “more cooperation” really the lesson to be drawn from a voter tsunami towards the GOP? I thought it was “we’re willing to hand a landslide to a party we don’t much like or trust because we hate Obama’s platform that much.” In fact, when I first saw the headline for this story at National Journal, I thought Obama meant it was time for the left to show humility about its agenda in the wake of a harsh verdict from voters next month. Of course, that’s not what he’s saying; what he’s saying is that political reality next year will be such that they’ll have to be a little more oriented towards bipartisanship and compromise than they were before, which is already painfully obvious to everyone. Follow the link up top and you’ll see that it’s Mitch McConnell, not The One, who’s endorsing humility vis-a-vis the midterm results. He knows the public still doesn’t trust the GOP, so that trust will have to be earned. Obama’s still in the bubble, in other words. Luckily, McConnell is not.

Exit question: The One made another semi-surprising admission on the stump today when he accepted responsibility for a key mistake made over the past 21 months. Rather than tell you what that mistake was, let’s do multiple choice. Three possibilities: (a) pursuing a fabulously expensive health-care reform program when all anyone cared about was unemployment; (b) not taking five minutes to figure out whether “shovel-ready jobs” exist before spending several hundred billion dollars to fund them; (c) salesmanship and “messaging.” Can you guess?

Comments

Great idea! Obama should start.

TXMomof3 on October 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Says the Whiner in Chief.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

No thanks. I’ll just keep sipping my Slurpee.

Scrappy on October 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Ha. What’s interesting here (and by interesting, I mean horrifying) is that Obama is still sticking with the premise that people are angry because they are so frustrated that not enough of Obama’s agenda has been accomplished. He will never admit that most Americans are opposed to all the things he would still like to inflict on America accomplish.

cynccook on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

“We won.” ~ Teh One

John the Libertarian on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

You first, scum bag.

SouthernGent on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

That’s not humility. That’s stubbornness.

MeatHeadinCA on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

FU. We won. (or will)

Dingbat63 on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Says the megalomaniac-in-chief.

JammieWearingFool on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

“… but I feel as if, post-election, regardless of how it plays out, the most important message … is, we want people in Washington to act like grown-ups …”

In other words … “I know we’re gonna get spanked, and I’d really like it if you guys would help me change America into what I want it to be.”

Tony737 on October 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Can you guess?

Ooh ,ooh!
Mr. Kotter! Mr.Kotter!

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM

No thanks. I’ll just keep sipping my Slurpee.

Scrappy on October 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I think it’s caramel macchiatos now that we’re supposed to be sipping.

cynccook on October 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Yes, because grown-ups call people “teabaggers.”

29Victor on October 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM

cynccook on October 21, 2010 at 9:03 PM

TXMomof3 on October 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Oh snap. Bob Beckel just admitted he gets nervous when he see men in Muslim garb on a plane.

Outrage!

JammieWearingFool on October 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

BHO is going to come apart at the seams over the next two years…he may not physically be able to run for POTUS in 2012.

d1carter on October 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

No problemo Barry. You’re about to get a whole lotta humble thrown your way.

doufree on October 21, 2010 at 9:06 PM

He does realize humility doesn`t mean making lame slurpee jokes, right?

ThePrez on October 21, 2010 at 9:07 PM

Not terribly self-aware, is he?

RedNewEnglander on October 21, 2010 at 9:07 PM

i’ll take messaging for $300 Alex….

ted c on October 21, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Repeal, Impeach, Prosecute, Imprison and then Humility, Republicans or be Primaried!

Now is not the time for compromise, they tried to destroy this country, they are traitors and should be treated as such!

dhunter on October 21, 2010 at 9:08 PM

No problemo Barry. You’re about to get a whole lotta humble thrown your way.

doufree on October 21, 2010 at 9:06 PM

hehe! it’ll feel like a Cat 5 hurricane crawling in your a$$ too, buddy!

ted c on October 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Outrage!

JammieWearingFool on October 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

Heh

1 progressive bigot after the other…

MeatHeadinCA on October 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Following the Taliban negotiating model.

Kini on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Nothing about this jerk is conciliatory. He will continue his war against the United States until he is booted out of office.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I just shot iced tea out of my nostrils… I know, TMI.

He’s on heroin tonight. He’s feelin all that hopium touchy feely gooey goodness when he’s high. Yup, Obama’s High!

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I think it’s caramel macchiatos now that we’re supposed to be sipping.

cynccook on October 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM

You’ll only get my Slurpee when you pry it from my frostbitten, dead fingers!

Rosmerta on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

I’d hate to think what it would be like if he wasn’t post partisan…

GrayDog on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

There goes “I want you to get in their face!”, and it was such a good line too.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM

No thanks. I’ll just keep sipping my Slurpee.

Scrappy on October 21, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Pass it over this way when you’re finished.

Cicero43 on October 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Ah yes, the new narrative! “Opposing/repealing my radical, unpopular agenda is angry and immature, what Americans really want is Republicans to grow up and compromise with me.”

American Elephant on October 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM

…..the most important message that will be sent by the American people is, we want people in Washington to act like grown-ups, cooperate, and start trying to solve problems

He is correct. I want the new congress to solve problems like how to make Michelle to wear shirts with sleeves. Oh, and how to impeach the president before Easter.

HornetSting on October 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Obama: Maybe it’s time for Democrats to show more humility be humilated

Fixed

NoFanofLibs on October 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Obama should spend the next two years sneaking smokes on the golf course while the young guns in the Hizouse take care of business.

Terrie on October 21, 2010 at 9:14 PM

Fail to the Chief.

ronsfi on October 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM

He’s a “congenital optimist”? Rather, more like a “congenital idiot.”

SilentWatcher on October 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Kind of like a jailhouse religious conversion that evaporates immediately after the convict is out on the street.

Kermit on October 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM

You’ll only get my Slurpee when you pry it from my frostbitten, dead fingers!

Rosmerta on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

heheh! LOLZ!!

ted c on October 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Outrage!

JammieWearingFool on October 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

When you’ve ost Bob……
I think he showed sincere outrage.

katy the mean old lady on October 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Well f********* how do I vote for “standing on the sidelines” then?

IMO nearly every single piece of legislation by either side is designed to limit choices, limit freedom, and cost money. Until someone somewhere starts trying for legislation that doesn’t match this list I’m looking for “standing on the sidelines”, or of you prefer the old term “gridlock”.

I thought it was pretty clear really.

gekkobear on October 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Translation: These freaking Republicans are going to show up and not let us do anything. So then we’ll just go out and tell the stupid American people that it’s all these Republican’s fault… humbly.

UnderstandingisPower on October 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Too little. Too late.

Good Lt on October 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Translation: The only way I will recognize any “work” by the Republicans is if they CAVE on everything the American people voted them in to do or to STOP, and sign on to every stupid, left-wing idea I put forward. Otherwise, they are not cooperating, not being bipartisan, and certainly not working.

UnderstandingisPower on October 21, 2010 at 9:21 PM

I have to say, it slightly unnerves me when I realize I’ve begun to speak Obama… or at least understand what he’s saying when to everyone else it seems that he’s saying just the opposite.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

UnderstandingisPower on October 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM

How’s he going to spin this, “I was always for the Bush tax cuts”

wiseprince on October 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Pssst. Obama? Come closer so you can understand this message and put down that joint for a minute.

The American People don’t like you or your agenda. We are not standing on the sidelines drinking slurpees or latte’s. We are crawling through the broken glass and wreckage of 4 years of democrat majorities to the polls and after we defeat your fellow democrats, we will have you escorted from office in mid 2011.

Now, go back to smokin and dopin’ and partyin’ and agitatin’. It’s okay because we know that’s all you know how to do well.

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Psssstt.

Dump your gold and buy stock in 7-11.

You heard it here first.

Lily on October 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Leave it to Barry, still pedaling the bullshit. As always, the Republicans are the problem.

And this from the same guy that’s constantly looking at himself in the mirror.

GarandFan on October 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Is anyone else experiencing this?

UnderstandingisPower on October 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Yes. And the important part is to listen to those who surround him as well. There are key words that they use. They are insulating themselves from future prosecution by using certain phrases that can be interpreted in different ways by different people. Brilliant. Evil, but brilliant.

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Hey that’s awesome, Barack Obama. Gonna lead by example???

Bwahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahha

dissent555 on October 21, 2010 at 9:32 PM

It’s all about the O….gop better stand up against this thin skinned little weasel

cmsinaz on October 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM

He’s getting worried about all the investigations that are coming his and Holder’s way.

BowHuntingTexas on October 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM

“Change”
“Hope”
“Move Forward”
“Progress”
“Fundamental Change”
“Progressive Agenda”
“Lean Forward”
“Collective”
“Social Justice”
“Economic Justice”
“Transformational Agenda”
“Unprecedented”

….

“These are a few of the dangerous words”(sing like Julie Andrews)

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Gonna lead by example???

Bwahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahha

dissent555 on October 21, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Dam Strait! Where’s my clubs, Reggie?

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 9:39 PM

He is not going to deal with the new leadership in Congress at all. I foresee him ONLY talking to the Dem leadership and trying to effectively shut out the Republicans even if they win.

JeffWeimer on October 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Spot on, jeffweimer….nuff said

cmsinaz on October 21, 2010 at 9:53 PM

“I think it’s premature to talk about vetoes because maybe I’m a congenital optimistLIAR, but I feel as if, post-election, regardless of how it plays out, the most important message that will be sent by the American people is, we want people in Washington to act like grown-ups, cooperateGO TO TRIAL, TO PRISON, and , and start trying to solve problemsIMPEACHMENT PROCEEDINGS instead of scoring political points,” Obama said.

FIXED DAT!

dhunter on October 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM

Might help if democrats quit locking Republicans out of their back room deals on Capitol Hill.

Baxter Greene on October 21, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Well, it does explain the mood swings.

Eren on October 21, 2010 at 10:19 PM

What is with these multiple stories of introspection and conciliation on the part of BHO ?

I smell a setup to get us off-guard for something coming down the pike.

Don’t know what, but I smell it.

crom on October 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Oh? Is that why the wallflowers are being asked to the dance on Nov 2?

disa on October 21, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Where’s canopfer when you need a “Humble Pie” music video?

Ogabe on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Can you guess?

Dude, you’ve got to start asking harder questions.

This question was a 2 inch putt.

SlaveDog on October 21, 2010 at 10:26 PM

You know, I think it is absolutely critical for those Republicans in the House to get to work. They should pass spending bill after spending bill, one at a time, authorizing a single Federal employee’s salary with each bill. They could even publicize the priority list…..with all the czars dead last.

That way, they’ll get around to authorizing those useless layabouts’ 2011 paychecks sometime around, say, 2035.

cthulhu on October 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Is Obutthead frickin serious?????

C’mon now! I recall Republicans having valid points, and ideas for hcr, and were rebuffed, and scoffed at, during a huge meeting. Some ideas were accepted, but none that would make a real difference. Only those ideas that wouldn’t interfere with their overall plan to take over health care were even considered.

I recall Republicans having input, and ideas only to be locked out, chastised, ridiculed, lied about, and scorned, for just sitting their sucking on their slurpees, while Dems did all the work.

BS!!! My God why don’t more people see this lying sack of shite for what he is???? Some humility. That’s the ultimate insult, and slap in the face if there ever were one.

capejasmine on October 21, 2010 at 10:40 PM

same crap he said in his book and in his campaign stump speeches, this man doesn’t give a damn about “acting like a grown up”. He only cares about “cooperation” when he doesn’t have full control of the government as he did the past 2 years.

Daemonocracy on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 PM

My God, that has been said for as long as I can remember. And yet when somebody like Paul Ryan actually proposes a real reality-based fix, they flippantly dismiss him.

IT’s time for some gawddamn austerity.

Free Constitution on October 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM

“I think it’s premature to talk about vetoes because maybe I’m a congenital LIAR, but I feel as if, post-election, regardless of how it plays out, the most important message that will be sent by the American people is, we want people in Washington to act like grown-ups, GO TO TRIAL, TO PRISON, and , and start IMPEACHMENT PROCEEDINGS instead of scoring political points,” Obama said.

FIXED DAT!

dhunter on October 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM

+100
“Fixed”, yes! Just like Harry Reid is on a “fixed” income.

Brilliant, dhunter!

Who is John Galt on October 21, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Funny how the left want all this when they lose. Until now they were as impertinent as no one had ever been before.

NO compromise with these foxes.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM

“…we want people in Washington to act like grown-ups, cooperate, and start trying to solve problems instead of scoring political points,” Obama said.

And then he goes right on to try to SCORE POLITICAL POINTS!

“…what we can accomplish in the absence of Republican cooperation. I think it’s going to be important for Republicans to recognize that the American people aren’t simply looking for them to stand on the sidelines, they’re going to have to roll up their sleeves and get to work.”

As for standing on the sidelines? Hey, jackass, here’s what you said: “I don’t want the folks who created the mess to do a lot of talking.” Just shut up and sign the bill.

Arrogant, hypocritical, lying, piece of garbage.

JimC on October 21, 2010 at 11:40 PM

More broadly, he used his West Coast swing to drive home his challenge to voters to decide, in his words, if they want to stick with progress or return to failure on Election Day.

Errrrrrr ahhhh well, lets see? Humm?

Return to failure? Last time the Rupbubs had both houses we had 4.6% unemployment. If we go back to 1995 and avg unemployment 1995 thru 2006, we get 5.8% unemployment. Is that the failure he speaks of? Or is it the Obama stim plan?

Unemployment will not go above 8%! Fail
3 million new jobs, 80% in the private sector! Fail
Shovel ready jobs to repair the infrastructure of the country! Fail

What else? Oh ya Tax cuts (actually a deferment) of $0.192 per hour or $1.56 per day (before taxes) provided you still have a job! Not only that but Obama’s policy also ensured ALL income taxes were eliminated for 3 million more Americans!

That’s a fail BTW.

DSchoen on October 22, 2010 at 12:30 AM

I’ll believe that Barry wants more Democrat humility when he removes all his mirrors from the White House.

landlines on October 22, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Translation” “Were getting our butts kicked and we have to try something other then the TRANSFORMING AMERICA crap…”

shorebird on October 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM

He is not referring to himself or Democrats. He believe he does no wrong and neither do Democrats.
What he means is:
we want people REPUBLICANS in Washington to act like grown-ups, cooperate, and start trying to solve problems instead of scoring political points,” Obama said.

Obama, always campaigning never leading, is the President of the Democrats of the United States, not the people of the United States.

albill on October 22, 2010 at 6:16 AM

Funny how he couldn’t do that with a super-majority of his own party. But it’s all the other guy’s fault.

Squiggy on October 22, 2010 at 6:25 AM

Typical Democrat bullshit. They only talk like this when they’re out of power.

Kafir on October 22, 2010 at 6:48 AM

One has to initially show humility before one can show MORE humility…

What a maroon… /Bugs Bunny

Khun Joe on October 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Funny how conciliatory a bully becomes when you put your boot on his throat.

bloviator on October 22, 2010 at 8:15 AM

We need to close the same doors they kept closed. Enough of this conciliation BS!!!

PaCadle on October 22, 2010 at 8:25 AM

Obama: Just show humility like I do: “I won.”.

DavidM on October 22, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Shovel Ready Project:

Bury the Democrats on election day.

MSimon on October 22, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Reminds me of one of Willie’s first public appearances after the ’94 debacle. He actually said that the message the voters had sent was that they were angry that his agenda was not being enacted fast enough, and that R’s should follow the dictate of the people and push his ideas forward on a faster basis. Delusional. Apparently it runs in the party.

Hucklebuck on October 22, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Would someone explain why when the Dems got their “mandate” from the voters it meant they were entitled to shove whatever they wanted down our throats but if the GOP gets a “mandate” it means we have to cooperate and work with the other side like adults?

What happened to “We Won?”

katiejane on October 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Delusional POSes never do manage to understand the enormity of their unpalatable-ness.
And he will go to the grave before ever admitting he destroyed this country on purpose, or even by accident.

Badger40 on October 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM

in the absence of Republican cooperation

Same old trick. Assume Republicans won’t cooperate as a pretext to not even try to work with them, then blame Republicans for the lack of cooperation.

taznar on October 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM

RationalIcthus on August 4, 2011 at 7:32 PM

However tax cut at $0.1923 per hour or $1.54 per day (before taxes), provided you still have a job, is not going to stimulate anything.

DSchoen on August 5, 2011 at 5:07 AM