NPR fires Juan Williams over comments about Muslims flying

posted at 8:45 am on October 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Juan Williams warned that political correctness leads to a paralysis that keeps people from addressing reality — and then ended up a victim of just that kind of political correctness in the very next breath.  NPR terminated his contract, even though just moments later Williams and Mary Katharine Ham speak about how important it is for commentators to distinguish between moderate and extremist Muslims.  Too late, because Williams made the unpardonable sin of admitting that people boarding flights in “Muslim garb” makes him nervous:

The move came after Mr. Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst, appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” on Monday. On the show, the host, Bill O’Reilly, asked him to respond to the notion that the United States was facing a “Muslim dilemma.” Mr. O’Reilly said, “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet.”

Mr. Williams said he concurred with Mr. O’Reilly.

He continued: “I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Mr. Williams also made reference to the Pakistani immigrant who pleaded guilty this month to trying to plant a car bomb in Times Square. “He said the war with Muslims, America’s war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don’t think there’s any way to get away from these facts,” Mr. Williams said.

NPR said in its statement that the remarks “were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR.”

Does watching an entire segment and hearing remarks in context also conflict with NPR’s editorial standards and practices?  The Right Scoop has the entire six-minute-plus segment, and do what NPR failed to do — watch the whole thing:

With the exception of the very beginning, when Williams made the statement that so offended NPR, Williams and Mary Katharine took a position mainly opposite of Bill O’Reilly, with both stating that the distinction between extremist Muslims and the rest was an important one to make, Mary Katharine more for strategic purposes, and Williams on journalistic grounds.

But then again, Williams was arguing for tolerance, and that apparently violates NPR’s “editorial standards and practices.”  Clearly, NPR only wants opinion journalists that agree with the opinions of NPR, and I mean totally agree.  An NPR opinion journalist had better not admit to having a normal human reaction about potential for terrorism nine years after 3,000 Americans got killed by radical Muslims on commercial air flights, or else. The rest of NPR’s cast just got an object lesson about the range of opinion tolerated by management.

But, hey, that’s NPR’s prerogative.  After all, it’s not as if they’re government sponsored in any way.  Oh, wait …

Michelle Malkin:

As I’ve said many times before: Political correctness is the handmaiden of terror.

Condolences to Juan Williams, whom I’ve debated –vigorously, but always with respect and cordiality — many times over the years.

Hope this accelerates his journey on the ideological learning curve. And I hope he doesn’t back down. …

Worth noting: NPR affiliate employee Sarah Spitz at public radio station KCRW wishes death on Rush Limbaugh…not a firing offense.

Andrew Malcolm reminds us that one of the few bipartisan areas of consensus is that political correctness has run amuck:

A majority of Americans, who are globally famous for candidly saying what they think, now say they believe that their country has become too politically correct.

new Rasmussen Reports survey finds that nearly six in 10 respondents (57%) say they think we’ve gotten too hung up on too many sensibilities. Can we even talk about this with the other 43%? …

But here’s an interesting result from the Rasmussen research: Nearly three out of four Americans say they think that political correctness is a problem.

So, wait a minute: More people think PC is a problem than think there’s too much of it. So, how then is it a problem?

Of course, we respect the right of some people to hold nonsensical views like that. Such thoughtful minorities are an important part of the diverse American identity.

Rasmussen also finds that 13% say they disagree with the 74% and think PC is not a problem. And another 13% are wishy-washy can’t-decides who should probably move to Canada.

The problem is that the first 13% would tell the 74% to either shut up about it, or get branded as bigots or haters for wanting to discuss it.  And that 13% either work for or listen to NPR, apparently.

Why not just have Juan Williams debate the issue on NPR?  Get him on a panel with other NPR opinion journalists and either have him defend himself or best him with actual argument?  It’s not like Williams just got hired by NPR, after all; he’s been there for eleven years.  Rather than explore the topic, NPR decided to can him instead in order to maintain their “editorial standards and practices,” but more to the point, their editorial and ideological purity.  That’s exactly what Williams meant when he warned about political correctness, and unwittingly turned himself into an object lesson in it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Of course this is Soros!

He wrote checks to all his favorite media attack dogs this week to hire 100 new “reporters” for NPR, to attack Fox and Beck et al. This is the beginning of The Purge.

He is not going to win this one.

PattyJ on October 21, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Jonas Parker on October 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Apparently total agreement with Leftist views aren’t restricted to employees.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Better than chasing the Illuminati.
MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Hey, Alinsky. YOU gleefully misrepresent ME. Your obnoxious mannerisms are every bit as audacious as Alex Jones’, as if your opinion is always the most researched and the only right/acceptable way to think, and everyone else is wrong.

You are off base. Exercise common courtesy. Drop it.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

YOU gleefully misrepresent ME.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Hey, nutjob: you were the first to talk about globalists and the New World Order in this thread. Own your crankery, rather than lash out at people who notice it.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

I agree that the stink of Nazi stooge George Soros is all over this story. How much control of NPR is being ceded to George in return for his big donations?

Do we really need to discuss government funding of these loons? Why would it even be debated?

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

muslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslimmuslim

Am I still here? Did CAIR make me go kaboom?

Western_Civ on October 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Rush is linking Soros to this right now.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I knew in 1980 when my “Southern Blue Dog Democrat” Mother quit listening to NPR because of their bias, I had no need to figure that one out for myself.

44Magnum on October 21, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Reminds me of a good line from “Newsradio”:

Matthew: I finally understand National Public Radio.
Dave: You understand everything they say?
Matthew: No. I understand it’s a bunch of boring crap masquerading as bourgeois intellectual discourse and therefore not worth my time.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 21, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Nobody pays much attention to NPR anyways.

tx2654 on October 21, 2010 at 12:20 PM

NPR’s been looking for an excuse ever since Juan started appearing on Fox. Most of the NPR staff and the progressives in their audience rabidly hate Fox. I think they also envy Juan his mainstream success. He’s better off without them. Besides, Juan was giving NPR moderate credibility it doesn’t deserve.

theCork on October 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

This is chilling.

Pravada in America.

We really must take our country back.

NPR must lose government support. They only represent a small percentage of Americans yet all of us pay taxes to support it.

That is wrong.

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Hey, nutjob: Own your crankery, rather than lash out at people who notice it.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 12:08 PM

You’re still chasing your own tail. Follow the link. I didn’t invent “globalism” nor “New World Order”. Nor do I accept your definitions, Mr. Judgmental.

“Truth? What is Truth?” Grow up and quit reacting like Alex Jones your nemesis.

That you can’t see your own error is neither my fault nor my responsibility. You’re the one who can’t see past your own nose, Mr. Absolutist, as if any referencing to globalism and the New World Order is either innocent or insane.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Ms. [Alicia] Shepard [NPR ombudswoman]said she had received 378 listener e-mails in 2008 listing complaints and frustrations about Mr. Williams.

Hey, when half your listenership is upset you gotta do something … just saying.

deepdiver on October 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I fully agree with Williams’ statement as IMO there are two kinds of Muslims; jihadists, and potential jihadists!

GFW on October 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I don’t see the problem with firing Juan. He’s a dope, and not just a little bit. Brit Hume crushed his impossibly naive views so effortlessly and routinely, it was clearly unfair to put Juan in a discussion with adults. He was a constant embarrassment to commies. And doubly so because he never got violent, profane, or sexually nasty. Worthless to the revolution.

Also, his open-eyed comments about Muslims on airplanes puts all NPR employees at risk. Now they are likely to be bombed and beheaded, all thanks to Juan. Of course he had to be fired. Right now, NPR talkers are preparing to publicly humiliate Juan, in order to save their skins.

HelenW on October 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Mr. Williams’s error was not in speaking his mind. His error was in working for and associating with NPR.

njcommuter on October 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Incredible dodging, there.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

NPR=shameful

sandspur on October 21, 2010 at 12:30 PM

HelenW on October 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

If he had said that he was afraid of white Conservatives from Mississippi, you would not have minded at all. Those towers on 9/11 weren’t brought down by Protestants with covered dishes. Face it. Progressives like you love Political Correctness…but despise Free Speech.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Holy Mackerel, Andy.
Randy

williars on October 21, 2010 at 12:35 PM

I have been expecting Juan Williams to get fired for a long time. While he still has leftist views that I totally disagree with, I had noticed he (unlike the other lefty talking heads) would concede a point and, therefore, strayed from the stringent orthodoxy preached in the left-wing playbook. I have always liked him even though I thought he was wrong most of the time.

HawaiiLwyr on October 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM

This should be good! BOR is going to put a smackdown on NPR tonight! Wants defunding of NPR…

LurkerDood on October 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

HelenW on October 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

In the immortal words of that famed author, Gwen Ifill….uummmmmmm???

Are you for real??? ROFL!!!

capejasmine on October 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Honestly this is unbelievable that this could happen in America. You know every American has had that exact reaction in an Airport, yet no one’s rights have been violated by it! Even the hypocrites who have fired Juan! Even other Muslims have that cross their minds! It would be stupid not to have 9/11 cross your mind.

Truth is unbearable to those who spend their lives lying to others, but mostly they lie to themselves.

This kind of purging of the thought police can only build the consensus against the Totalitarians at NPR and the rest of our government.

Doesn’t this epitomize the saying that starts… “First they came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew. Then…”

They are coming for all of us. They are destroying mainstream liberals now. This must scare a lot of others.

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

GFW on October 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM

And it’s precisely this interpretation on his comment that got him fired, except, he doesn’t feel the way you do and doesn’t actually have a problem with Muslims.

Esthier on October 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Maybe irrational on my part, but I have to believe there are more of us, than them…and that now…with this, they are exposing themselves for what they truly are, and it will hit home to a lot of people.

capejasmine on October 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

This is a very sad day in media matters all over, but in the U.S. especially.

The timing is fantastic and this incident will be mentioned in history for all the years to follow.

This will prove to have been a key moment in the annals of the ‘free’ press.

Mr. Williams will end up very well from this. He is the perfect person to spearhead preserving the so precious First Amendment.

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Well, I would love to see some undercover “sting” operations captured on film.

I know the left loves to try to trap, embarass and laugh at “rednecks”, middle-Americans, NASCAR fans, and other assorted white people who don’t have a copy of The Communist Manifesto on their nightstand.

It makes for high comedy for them.

There must be some conservative filmmakers who can dress up some folks in obvious Muslim garb and interact with some of these lefties.

reaganaut on October 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

capejasmine on October 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Check out today’s blog. Great minds.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM

petunia on October 21, 2010 at 12:39 PM

It’s even worse than that as Matt Welch from Reason points out. The “official policy” is that it’s OK to actually be bigoted towards Muslims and show that as a company, they are afraid of Muslims. That’s why no one ran those Danish cartoons, for fear of Muslim violence. That’s also why so many were against the Koran burning that never happened.

This is beyond insane.

Esthier on October 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

It makes for high comedy for them.

That’s just a weird sentence. That’s what I get for working late.

reaganaut on October 21, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I always believed under the right circumstances it would be possible to seduce Juan Williams to the Dark Side. Play our cards right and he could be our biggest catch since Dick Morris.

Join us, Juan, and we can bring order to the Galaxy.

AaronGuzman on October 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM

@ 11:04

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Incredibly moronic dodging on your part, Alinsky. You have no proper context for smearing me. You’re really a bore. Illuminati? WTF has that to do with me? NOTHING. Nada. Your absolutist platform is as unstable as your comments are regarding me. If you can’t grow up, then buzz off, pest.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

He’s *supposed* to drive you crazy. He presents the left’s point of view, unencumbered with the bullsh!t and you are supposed to weigh the facts and sum up using all of the evidence presented.

The War Planner on October 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Yep. I know. That’s why I wrote this:

Yet on other occasions I find that he has a lot of common sense, and sometimes I find that he leads me to look at things from another point of view.

I am hoping the best for Juan Williams

Cheers

Blaise on October 21, 2010 at 12:48 PM

While I did not request the ban, I must admit to offering proof of a particularly vile comment of his into the thread where he was dismissed. I believe AP had already sent him packing but I admit to trying to add some “perspective”. I think we can disagree without being nasty. He was nasty.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Naruto got banned? What thread? Can’t believe I missed it.

Scrappy on October 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Congratulations Juan. I don’t often agree with you, but you were too normal for NPR.

LASue on October 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

If he had said that he was afraid of white Conservatives from Mississippi
kingsjester

Hey…why y’all always gotta pick on Mississippi? You know, there’s whiteys in Virginia or Tennessee or Georgia, and they ain’t just whistling dixie either. I’m sure there are some scary white conservatives ALL OVER the south for you to mention in your analogies. Geez.

Also, I agree with your response to Helen. The thought that anyone should be too afraid to speak the truth, out of fear of a muslim-extremist reprisal, is repugnant. You cannot defeat evil with silence.

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Here is what all of the talking heads are saying

5 Videos: Bill O’Reilly , Laura Ingraham, Newt Gingrich – Plus Juan Williams Responds After Getting Fired By NPR

Nearly Nobody on October 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I would love to see a Juan Williams / Brit Hume once a week political show on one of the Fox networks.

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I wonder if Wiliams will now feel free to share his experiences with socialist bias at NPR with Fox News viewers? I’m sure he can tell some stories as good as Bernie Goldberg’s about ABC News. Might even be a book there…

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Darlin’, did you forget that I live in DeSoto County?

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Darlin’, did you forget that I live in DeSoto County?

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

How is that congressional race shaping up?

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

====================================================
Say what you will about Juan,but unfreaggin-believable,
the Lefty Political Correctness is goona get America,
k*lled!!!!!

One thing that is coming out this particular Election Cycle
and that is the Liberal Mask,their TRUE COLOURS,their agenda
is being exposed,by their very own political hands!!

I agree with Juan,and btw,I get nervous too!!

canopfor on October 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM

AaronGuzman on October 21, 2010 at 12:47 PM
+1. I hope Juan’s eyes are opened when he realizes who is supporting him. I like Juan and would welcome him to our universe. I bet he will be speaking at Tea Party’s in a few months.

HellCat on October 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM

It’s because its Fox. They tried to fire Mara Liasson but couldn’t find a good enough excuse. Williams made the statements and NPR jumped at the opportunity.

vcferlita on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Hey…why y’all always gotta pick on Mississippi?

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I tend to use Arkansas.

Esthier on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Darlin’, did you forget that I live in DeSoto County?

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

My sincerest apologies for my fake anger!!

And yes, I did forget. I iz stoopid that way.

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Hey…why y’all always gotta pick on Mississippi?

I think Mississippi is just more fun to say.

reaganaut on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

I believe Childers is still ahead. He’s got a lot of folks fooled into believing that he is a Conservative. I have not seen the latest stats.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Nobody pays much attention to NPR anyways.

The fools in D.C. do.

Mr. Grump on October 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

No problema.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 1:02 PM

How is that congressional race shaping up?

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Nunnelee (R) should win, but I think it will be tight. Each candidate has done his own poll, and each candidate’s poll shows himself leading.

Anecdotally, I don’t see how Childers(D) will win. I have never heard this much talk about getting rid of a candidate before. People I know that have never cared about voting/politics are fired up and ready to bounce Childers. People I know that voted for him last time regret it sincerely and can’t wait to toss him. Here’s to hoping anyway!

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

I’ve always said that 50% of the time, I’d like to buy Juan lunch, and the other 50% of the time, I want to grab him by the lapels and yell, “What the hell is wrong with you?” Can’t get any more fair and balenced than that.

Burgers are on me today, Juan.

Mr. Grump on October 21, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I think Mississippi is just more fun to say.

reaganaut on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Ah, yes. But it is also the longest one to type…..

Proof that people are just prejudiced Mississippi-ists. Even jester (who lives here). HA!

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM

I love Mississippi. I’m a refuge from Memphis. I crawled under the barbed wire from Detroit South.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

thanks..I hope Nunnalee can pull it off..I was total that “South Memphis” will determine this race..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Thanks I hope you are right..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM

thanks..I hope Nunnalee can pull it off..I was totaltold that “South Memphis” will determine this race..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 1:13 PM

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 1:09 PM

My sister-in-law still lives in Memphis. My husband calls her neighborhood “the green zone” as it is a very nice one surrounded by, well, not so nice ones. They are probably moving soon.

The city of Memphis would annex the entire Mississippi northwest if it could. That city is desperate for a tax base, as it’s corruption and crime rate has chased most of the middle and upper class out of it’s borders. Sad for such a once beautiful and musically rich city.

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 1:16 PM

I just checked on the comments at NPR. There are now 3,556 comments posted regarding JW. Most of them are telling NPR buh bye and that they disagree with them on his firing. Whew. They are getting spanked! I love the smell of destruction in the morning. ;-)

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Also, I hope Issa looks into the whereabouts of the missing birth certificate.

If Obamabi impeached for not being eligible, then EVERYTHING he has signed as supposed prez, should be invalidated.

No ObamaCare, No czars, 2 slots open on SCOTUS, no government motors…

Sounds delicious!

txdoc on October 21, 2010 at 1:19 PM

While it is unfair to Juan, I don’t feel bad for him. He threw his lot in with the liberals and lefties your whole life. Bet you didn’t think they’d pull their insane tactics on you did you Juan?

Now you know what it’s like for everyone else they and their unhinged ilk have done this to for years. A painful lesson for you Juan but one you should have woken up to years ago. better late than never Juan and welcome to the party!

Niteowl45 on October 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Michelle Malkin put a link to Andrew Sullivan’s blog, Andrew Sullivan http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2010/10/quote-10.html and Andrew Sullivan states he would give the Michelle Malkin award. There are three things of note I saw on his site. Here is his quote cut and pasted. I thought, he was this popular blogger.

1) someone is singular and they is plural. He has the wrong antecedent.
2) bigot is spelled biggot – where did this guy learn to write
3) Yes I would walk across the street. That doesn’t make me a biggot, that makes me a realist

What if someone said that they saw a black man walking down the street in classic thug get-up. Would a white person be a bigot of he assumed he was going to mug him?

mark24609 on October 21, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Niteowl45 on October 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM

You’ve got a point there…

Mr. Grump on October 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM

They are so afraid.
So so very afraid.
I can’t imagine what it would be like to go through life with no spine.

YoungAmerican on October 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Hey…why y’all always gotta pick on Mississippi?

MississippiMom on October 21, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I tend to use Arkansas.

Esthier on October 21, 2010 at 1:00 PM

In Georgia, we tend to use Alabama. Every state has a butt-of-jokes state.

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Here’s an interesting story Newsbusters did 18 months ago-

excerpt:

His remarks apparently caused him to be taken into the woodshed for a stern lecture at NPR:

His “Stokely Carmichael” comment got the attention of NPR’s top managers. They are in a bind because Williams is no longer a staff employee but an independent contractor. As a contract news analyst, NPR doesn’t exercise control over what Williams says outside of NPR.

“Juan Williams is a contributor to NPR programs as a news analyst,” said Ron Elving, NPR’s Washington editor. “What he says on NPR is the product of a journalistic process that includes editors. What he says when he is not on our air is not within our control. But we recognize that what he says elsewhere reflects on NPR, and we have discussed that fact with him specifically in regard to his remarks on Fox News regarding Michelle Obama.”

Del Dolemonte on October 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Juan should also take note of who is standing up for him and defending him and which group is pig piling with insanity and made up nonsense.

Niteowl45 on October 21, 2010 at 1:34 PM

NPR has posted Jaun’s response, too.

Almost 900 comments there, too.
Haven’t read them all, but sounding rather FOR Juan.

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Wow, Juan Williams fired for thought crimes at the behest of Nihad Awad and CAIR, who are hand-in-hand with the “tolerant” group known as Hamas. Just, WOW.

NTWR on October 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I don’t believe in censorship at all. They should hire him back but I also think that Rick Sanchez, Helen Thomas and Octavia Nasr should also be hired back.

fastestslug on October 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Comment on NPR thread with Juan’s explanation:

“I just spent $12 to cancel my $50 donation check to NPR. That will never happen again.”

Gotta love it !

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM

Naruto got banned? What thread? Can’t believe I missed it.

Scrappy on October 21, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Happened last Sunday on a Headlines thread about Germany’s Angela Merkel. He really jumped the shark.

Del Dolemonte on October 21, 2010 at 1:45 PM

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

As of 1:46 PM, the comments are at 3,979. The commenters are not happy….

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Karma sucks Juan. Heh

rollthedice on October 21, 2010 at 1:53 PM

But we recognize that what he says elsewhere reflects on NPR, and we have discussed that fact with him specifically in regard to his remarks on Fox News ….”

Del Dolemonte on October 21, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Fred Thompson said today that though he’s sorry for what happened to Williams, he’s glad that the obvious journalistic hypocrisy has finally hit home on NPR by its own doing. He’s still talking about it.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Just another piece of evidence for the case that liberalism is an incurable mental illness.

TrickyDick on October 21, 2010 at 1:58 PM

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 1:48 PM

You’re correct, about the original thread.
Ain’t it fun ?? LOL

There’s another, and that’s what I was referring to… now, @ 1054.
( http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/10/21/130717991/after-comments-about-muslims-npr-terminates-juan-williams-contract#commentBlock )

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

I loved hearing Teh Fred shred a NYC sophisticated twit. She said that she didn’t like Juan Williams so she was GLAD that he got fired. Then she went on to say as if in contrast with Juan’s preference, that she’d rather board a plane with Muslims not wearing their garb than a plane with Muslims wearing their garb. When Teh Fred pointed out her convolution, she echoed Thompson’s criticism of her argument as if it were her own criticism to prove how stupid Williams’ was. After saying how intelligent Joy Behar is on everything, she then dragged Bristol Palin into her rant, saying first that Bristol can’t dance before priding herself for never watching “Dancing With the Stars” show.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

So is Juan Williams taking Laura Ingraham up on her offer to host Bill O’Reilly’s FOX TV show in her stead?

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 2:06 PM

WOW! Megyn is slappin the CR@P out of the CAIR fool on Fox News right now. WOOT WOOT!!

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Juan has hosted The Factor b4, no ???

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Media Splatters now saying it’s also time to ‘take care of’ Mara Liasson, for no other reason than her association with Fox News: Liberal group zeros in on next target: NPR correspondent and Fox News contributor Mara Liasson

Rush just discussing this.

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Yup!! Lol

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Thanks, I’d thought so, since I remember thinking it was really a very good edition !
(just thought it was possible I’d remembered WHICH PROGRAM incorrectly)

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Hey pambi, now the total comments on NPR are up to 4,305 at 2:16 PM ET and they are STILL pi$$ed…

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 2:18 PM
This is epic, no ?
SNORT

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 2:19 PM

It wasn’t that long ago there were articles about NPR being pressured to get rid of Juan Williams and Mara Liasson. Both are commenters on Fox News and there was a noticeable change in tone, from both of them, once this was made public.

They were looking for a reason to get rid of Juan and this gave it to them. We need to take care of NPR and get some conservatives in there or pull the plug on them. For too long, they’ve been little more than a propaganda arm for the Democrats and liberals in this country, with no effort to balance anything out.

bflat879 on October 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM

And, re: the NPR threads.
My sides are a bit sore, atm, from ROFLMAO over those VERY FEW defenders of this action.
Ludicrous ‘defenses’ !!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 2:24 PM

The sad thing is that even though NPR’s listeners are pulling their “funding”, NPR can and will still be funded by our tax dollars and Soros (aka, satan’s minion). Start calling your congress critters and demand that they no longer fund this moronic station.

sicoit on October 21, 2010 at 2:26 PM