NPR fires Juan Williams over comments about Muslims flying

posted at 8:45 am on October 21, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Juan Williams warned that political correctness leads to a paralysis that keeps people from addressing reality — and then ended up a victim of just that kind of political correctness in the very next breath.  NPR terminated his contract, even though just moments later Williams and Mary Katharine Ham speak about how important it is for commentators to distinguish between moderate and extremist Muslims.  Too late, because Williams made the unpardonable sin of admitting that people boarding flights in “Muslim garb” makes him nervous:

The move came after Mr. Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst, appeared on the “The O’Reilly Factor” on Monday. On the show, the host, Bill O’Reilly, asked him to respond to the notion that the United States was facing a “Muslim dilemma.” Mr. O’Reilly said, “The cold truth is that in the world today jihad, aided and abetted by some Muslim nations, is the biggest threat on the planet.”

Mr. Williams said he concurred with Mr. O’Reilly.

He continued: “I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Mr. Williams also made reference to the Pakistani immigrant who pleaded guilty this month to trying to plant a car bomb in Times Square. “He said the war with Muslims, America’s war is just beginning, first drop of blood. I don’t think there’s any way to get away from these facts,” Mr. Williams said.

NPR said in its statement that the remarks “were inconsistent with our editorial standards and practices, and undermined his credibility as a news analyst with NPR.”

Does watching an entire segment and hearing remarks in context also conflict with NPR’s editorial standards and practices?  The Right Scoop has the entire six-minute-plus segment, and do what NPR failed to do — watch the whole thing:

With the exception of the very beginning, when Williams made the statement that so offended NPR, Williams and Mary Katharine took a position mainly opposite of Bill O’Reilly, with both stating that the distinction between extremist Muslims and the rest was an important one to make, Mary Katharine more for strategic purposes, and Williams on journalistic grounds.

But then again, Williams was arguing for tolerance, and that apparently violates NPR’s “editorial standards and practices.”  Clearly, NPR only wants opinion journalists that agree with the opinions of NPR, and I mean totally agree.  An NPR opinion journalist had better not admit to having a normal human reaction about potential for terrorism nine years after 3,000 Americans got killed by radical Muslims on commercial air flights, or else. The rest of NPR’s cast just got an object lesson about the range of opinion tolerated by management.

But, hey, that’s NPR’s prerogative.  After all, it’s not as if they’re government sponsored in any way.  Oh, wait …

Michelle Malkin:

As I’ve said many times before: Political correctness is the handmaiden of terror.

Condolences to Juan Williams, whom I’ve debated –vigorously, but always with respect and cordiality — many times over the years.

Hope this accelerates his journey on the ideological learning curve. And I hope he doesn’t back down. …

Worth noting: NPR affiliate employee Sarah Spitz at public radio station KCRW wishes death on Rush Limbaugh…not a firing offense.

Andrew Malcolm reminds us that one of the few bipartisan areas of consensus is that political correctness has run amuck:

A majority of Americans, who are globally famous for candidly saying what they think, now say they believe that their country has become too politically correct.

new Rasmussen Reports survey finds that nearly six in 10 respondents (57%) say they think we’ve gotten too hung up on too many sensibilities. Can we even talk about this with the other 43%? …

But here’s an interesting result from the Rasmussen research: Nearly three out of four Americans say they think that political correctness is a problem.

So, wait a minute: More people think PC is a problem than think there’s too much of it. So, how then is it a problem?

Of course, we respect the right of some people to hold nonsensical views like that. Such thoughtful minorities are an important part of the diverse American identity.

Rasmussen also finds that 13% say they disagree with the 74% and think PC is not a problem. And another 13% are wishy-washy can’t-decides who should probably move to Canada.

The problem is that the first 13% would tell the 74% to either shut up about it, or get branded as bigots or haters for wanting to discuss it.  And that 13% either work for or listen to NPR, apparently.

Why not just have Juan Williams debate the issue on NPR?  Get him on a panel with other NPR opinion journalists and either have him defend himself or best him with actual argument?  It’s not like Williams just got hired by NPR, after all; he’s been there for eleven years.  Rather than explore the topic, NPR decided to can him instead in order to maintain their “editorial standards and practices,” but more to the point, their editorial and ideological purity.  That’s exactly what Williams meant when he warned about political correctness, and unwittingly turned himself into an object lesson in it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Mr. Williams is a respected member of his occupation regardless of whether I think he is right or not. So are for for closing down ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, etc. etc.? I want to hear the other side.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:22 AM

It’s just another form of compromise, like the GOP ‘reaching across the aisle.’

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM

No it isn’t. That would require Brit Hume, Hayes, etc to roll over like cheesecakes

And it’s not personal.

blatantblue on October 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM

I don’t often agree with Mr. Williams but I have always found his positions to be well thought out and stated clearly unlike a certain Mr. Colmes who appears frequently on The factor. As far as NPR goes I refuse to listen to them at all and this just re-enforces that decision.

JKotthoff on October 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM

NPR should be disbanded. Juan Williams is a lib to be sure, but he is also a good man that believes what he says.

I have given up on PBS and NPR long ago because they are way too partisan, and have nothing to contribute to honest political discourse.

I thing they just messed in their mess kit big time, and they will pay the price. They made Juan’s point for him on the idiot PC mindset. Who the hell is not nervous when they see full garb Muslims on their plane? I isn’t Juans fault, but the Muslim’s fault.

saiga on October 21, 2010 at 10:23 AM

SC.Charlie on October 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM

So what? Truthers have more than their fair share of loons and since they don’t get a lot of press I think we are taking the hypothetical to absurd lengths.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I’ve always liked Juan Williams and thought he was a nice addition to Fox News. The only times I really agree with him are on social issues(I’m not a social conservative, but conservative in every other way)but it was always good to get a differing opinion. That exchange of ideas the left always touts, and ends up silencing as in this case.

If I were Juan, just to get back at those f#c^&*s, I’d write a book pointing out all the lies he was instructed to write or talk about. A good chance to write a book from the inside as to how dishonest the left really is. I’d buy it. He’d be on the bestseller list alongside O’Reilly and Beck with a bombshell like that. Stick it to ‘em Juan….

adamsmith on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

They were looking for any excuse to fire Juan, I’m sure Mara Liason is also on thin ice.

commodore on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Can his opinions really be called lies if he believes them? I admit that I think a lot of Mr. Williams’ views are flat out wrong, but I don’t think of him as a liar. Just wrong.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM

There are people out there, my father included, that actually believe that anyone who identifies as a liberal is a liar…that nobody can truly believe what they believe. It’s a remarkably myopic outlook.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Laura Ingraham has pounded NPR..Beck is doing it as we speak..Will ElRushbo join in?..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM

So? How many conservatives does NPR employ?

How many dozens of people have they fired, and how many many hundreds have they refused to hire due to Political Correctness?

This one just happened to be on TV.

logis on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Among the left, the truth will set you free – free from employment.

Looks like Juan was a little too honest for NPR, but why do I get the feeling that they were probably just looking for an excuse because over the years, I’ve noticed that Juan doesn’t always follow the left’s talking points.

Done That on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I have a visceral reaction and distrust of anyone who tells others to shut up.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

logis on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Come on, they have David Brooks.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I have a visceral reaction and distrust of anyone who tells others to shut up.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

…then how are you still a commenter here? You can’t post without tripping over a pile of them.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

This has Soros’ slimy stink to it… a MILLION bux will go pretty far apparently.

NY Conservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Juan usually annoys the heck out of me when speaking on Fox, but I respect him for sharing his opinions. Sure, he’s an Obama apologist, but he sometimes actually agrees with the right. It sucks to see him fired from NPR.

Not happy times. Not fun times. No.

cannonball on October 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

The firing of Juan Williams from NPR will work for the good for Juan Williams. Personally, I respect him more already. Perhaps it will open Juan’s eyes more to the intolerance of the Left.

Phil Byler on October 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

That’s why I try never to suggest the banhammer. At sometime or another I am going to disagree with people I like and admire. And the world continues to turn.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Please tell me Narutoboy is an exception.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Juan Williams comments about Muslims were just a pretext.

His real ‘crime’ was appearing on the Fox News Channel.

Nerdy Peoples’s Radio don’t play that *%?# !

RedPepper on October 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I’m sure that all the Soros money about to pour into NPR will allow them to hire 100 conservatives to counter-balance their liberal bent… right NPR?

Or is this just the beginning of the purge of the regular Left at NPR so that it can be all Communist, all the time?

ajacksonian on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Laura Ingraham is covering this as well, exposing the MSM and specifically NPR bias against free speech.

Juan Williams has every right to his own anxieties.

Obama has declared war on “fear”. No honesty permitted in Obama’s world that abuses PC in order to convert America into an authoritarian state. “Change that’s meant to last a very long time” as Obama put it so awkwardly. The audacity.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

The majority of liberal guest hacks on Fox News are there to spout talking points, and no direct questions or challenges from the host will divert them from said talking points. I see it all the time. It’s lying when you don’t answer a question that you know the answer to, but instead repeat a line you’ve learned by rote just for the purpose of disseminating propaganda on cable news.

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Juan Williams is still a liberal Democrat on most issues, but he has an open mind. He has seen 15 Muslims fly three planes into the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. He heard about the Times Square bomber telling a court that the Muslim war has just begun, who almost escaped on a plane to Dubai. He has heard about the Pants-on-Fire bomber who almost blew a plane out the sky on Christmas Day.

So he is “nervous” when an outwardly Muslim man sits next to him on a plane, because other Muslim men have already tried to kill people on planes. Like many other people would be nervous, if they believe they may be in danger.

Kudos to Juan Williams for speaking the truth. If NPR fired him, Fox News should give him a raise, and invite him on more debate shows. Williams probably disagrees with most HotAir commenters on budget issues, but he agrees that Americans must be defended against those who try to kill us.

Steve Z on October 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:36 AM

While I did not request the ban, I must admit to offering proof of a particularly vile comment of his into the thread where he was dismissed. I believe AP had already sent him packing but I admit to trying to add some “perspective”. I think we can disagree without being nasty. He was nasty.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Do you think NPR was reacting to Williams’ profiling or was Juan just not PC enough?

Hmmm????

belad on October 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM

How do you feel with someone like webler competely hijacks a thread with his concern, like that O’Donnell Thread we were both on last week that he took over?

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

You are correct and it reflects poorly on them, not the Right. I just can’t lump Socialists and conspiracy theorists into the same pile. To me there is a huge difference between an proven unworkable ideology and accusing our country of killing our citizens on a whim.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

While I was watching that video, I almost forgot Juan was black.

TheVer on October 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Fox panels IMPURE for “mixing lies with the truth” …. ??
How ELSE can someone expose and refudiate the lies, if they’re never revealed ? I don’t care which lies they are….
Shine the light of truth, and show the lies for what they really are !!

Wouldn’t sticking to ONLY truth, firing / rooting out those with opposing views be PRECISELY what NPR’s doing ??
Hmmm.. Light too bright ???

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I bet it is killing him to be watching this thread and not be able to post..:)

PS*waves* to Naturoboy..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 10:44 AM

According to the Associated Press, some 15 percent of public broadcasting’s funding comes from the federal government. The CPB’s latest annual budget was $430 million according to PBS chief Paula Kerger.

I’ll take it! :)

golfmann on October 21, 2010 at 10:45 AM

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I disagree. Juan Williams in particular was quite able to carry on tempered debate with the likes of Hume, Thomas, and Krauthammer. Even Alan Colmes, most of the time, was able to volley with Hannity(who is, in my opinion, even more of a talking point parrot).

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Yes, he is. Was he banned finally? I missed it if it happened.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM

It’s annoying but than I could say the same about those who only show up to Palin threads or turn every thread into one about Palin. The desire to paint candidates on the Right as stupid, ignorant unworthy fools is powerful but we need to know what we are up against. Regardless of who our nominee is in 2012 the same arguments will be made against them.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Hey Chris Wallace and Carly Fiorina:

Aside from eliminating FRAUD, what federal spending can Tea Party candidates promise to cut?

NO MORE TAX FUNDS SPENT PROVIDING:

Abortion (fund it privately, plenty of foundations available)

Arts Foundation (fund it privately)

PBS and NPR — get the government out of owning the media.

Rescind Bail-Outs — no more tax funded bailouts, and get federal loans repaid.

Then on to eliminating federal bureaus, Education and DHS. Whatever taxes collected for education should NOT provide more administration. And whatever national security should NOT provide more administration, as if more bureaucrats translates into more efficiency. No, more bureaucracy erodes constitutional governance and squanders taxfunds to produce inferiority and abuse.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Mike Huckabee just stated that NPR should be defunded.

Great start for GOP House majority after 11-2-10.

Also on defund list…National Endowments for Arts and Humanities, PBS, Planned Parenthood

Dept Education and Energy – close them down. No subsidies for solar, wind, ethanol, biofuel, electric cars etc etc

Defund the UN. Kick them out of USA. Eliminate all Foreign Aid to hostile nations.

Phase out all agricultural subsidies over 4 years – 25% per year.

Eliminate price controls on domestic sugar.

Institute Fair Tax so we can close IRS and repeal the amendment authorizing the Income Tax.

Cut all other federal department staffing (except defense)at least 10% per year for 5 years. Make federal retirement age 65 or 67 and so people can’t get 2-3 different pensions.

txdoc on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Allahpundit dusted him this past weekend..

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

You mean to tell us that there are liberals out there that are not liars?? :-)

Rod on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

This has Soros’ slimy stink to it… a MILLION bux will go pretty far apparently.

NY Conservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Everything he touches turns to crap. Midas touch? I don’t see much proof of it. Take money from Soros and you turn yourself into a pariah where the American Public is concerned but it’s the MSM they are going to whore themselves irregardless. Soros is banking on bringing us down…no problem for the principally bankrupt Lamestream Media.

Juan Williams is a Liberal NOT a Progressive so NPR is going through a purge, only Leftys need apply :) I have never known the fortress defense to work in the modern world.

If Glenn Beck is right there are going to be investigations into Soros after the new Congress is sworn in…If I was a politician, I would be distancing myself from Soros and his money ASAP.

Dr Evil on October 21, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I guess this action by NPR to Williams’ response on Fox is a vivid display of why the left is always projecting the “profiling” meme on conservatives and others…because they harbor these profiling thoughts, EVERYONE ELSE harbors those same thoughts. In the case of what is transpiring throughout the rest of the world, it might just be prudent to do a little “profiling”. Otherwise you just might find yourself in a situation that you can’t get out of( like an airplane flying head-on into a tall building, or sitting next to a walking bomb in a subway ).

belad on October 21, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

He took it a step further. He made the whole thread about his outrage about posters telling him, excuse me, to STFU. It was an epic meltdown.

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Allahpundit dusted him this past weekend..

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Finally. Wouldn’t remember which thread it was, would you?

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

txdoc on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

You get the gold star, 100+.

belad on October 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Hope this is a blessing for Mr. Williams who no longer seeks nor needs the approval of NPR for what he says and believes.

fourdeucer on October 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

MadCon, it was the Merkel Multiculturalism Headline Thread from Sunday morning 10/17

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 10:53 AM

That sucks. I don’t agree with Juan much, but I do think he is a decent human being, unlike many of the people on the left.

Tim Burton on October 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Enjoy. Page 4 is the money shot.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I have a visceral reaction and distrust of anyone who tells others to shut up.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Oh shut up….

runawayyyy on October 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

kingsjester on October 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Oh yeah, I remember now. I put him on my “Do Not Respond” list. What a whiny crybaby!

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Enjoy. Page 4 is the money shot.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

Damn, that’s satisfying. Thank you.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM

runawayyyy on October 21, 2010 at 10:55 AM

LOL!!!

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Political Correctness is simply the lefts new censorship…some ideas, no matter how true, simply cannot be debated.

JIMV on October 21, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Juan recently said that Missouri voted against implementing ObamaCare because a lot of old white people came out to vote against it.
Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM

And what is incorrect about that? It’s not racist. It’s the same as saying a lot of black people came out to vote for Obama a couple years ago.

BierManVA on October 21, 2010 at 11:00 AM

txdoc on October 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I love your list. It’s a great start. I might add one more thing. Cut everyone’s budget the first year by 15%. The ones that squawk the loudest get eliminated the next year. Hope springs eternal.

BetseyRoss on October 21, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Like Michelle and Glenn have noted, this wasn’t aimed at juan, this was aimed at any journalist who dares to work for Fox. This is an effort to de-legitimize Fox.

Iblis on October 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM

His real ‘crime’ was appearing on the Fox News Channel.

RedPepper on October 21, 2010 at 10:37 AM

He was spending way too much time in the enemy camp so I think you’re probably right: They were looking for any reason, no matter how flimsy, to disassociate themselves.

Rod on October 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Apparently, your father is confused as to precisely WHAT liberals believe.

Liberalism is the cult of the ego. Ergo, liberals believe what they believe infinitely more zealously than do the followers of any other religion; and they make no distinction whatoever between the spiritual realm and what the rest of us refer to as “reality.”

Once someone adopts the sole canon of liberalism: that all standards are evil, then it is not even theoretically possible for a liberal to violate his core principles. No one can possibly claim that a liberal’s God does not exist; all non-believers can ever do is insult and berate any given liberal’s God; and that only serves to strengthen his faith.

This means that, subjectively, everything every liberal ever says is always 100% true. But, objectively, whatever a liberal says is only tangentially intended to correlate with an external framework.

of course to say that each individual statement a liberal makes is always a “lie” would be a conundrum. But to call all liberals “liars” is perfectly accurate.

logis on October 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

belad on October 21, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Since Williams put PC into proper perspective, that PC ignores reality, there’s your answer. The MSM only thrive as they do BECAUSE OF PC. The same with this Congress and Administration. And America has had too much, well past “enough” of that self-destruction. Americans won’t tolerate any more PC, but globalists MUST enforce PC.

Perhaps populations should recognize that the “New World Order” plays the authoritarian 21st Century functions of the 20th-Century’s Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei.

So what has NPR to say of Iran/Venezuela leaders “united in efforts to establish a ‘New World Order’ that will eliminate Western dominance over global affairs.” It all amounts to the same power grabs never settled despite WWI-WWII aggressions/losses.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Don’t anyone think that Juan has suddenly seen the light. Last night he had a knock-down with Hannity over rent-control in New York City. Williams was all for them, simply to ‘prevent greedy landlords from charging too much’, or something like that. He associated rent control with public housing and housing grants from government, refusing to see the distinction between direct government money and simply stealing money from a landlord by fiat.

Williams is more a maverick than a moderate liberal or any other label. That’s ‘maverick’ as in unpredictable and not anything complimentary. At times he can be very right, but other times he parrots the liberal line. He’s much like Kirsten Powers in that regard.

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

This is an effort to de-legitimize Fox.

Iblis on October 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM

By drawing the line in the sand and demanding conformity, …

RIGHT BEFORE ELECTIONS!

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Alex Jones fan much?

So was Bush Sr. in league with Iran and Venezuela when he talked about the “New World Order” in a couple of his major speeches? Yeesh. Go chase down the Bilderbergers.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM

slickwillie2001 on October 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Yep. He’s absolutely predictable on the ol’ platform that the NAACP founded originally, and on black perspective through the 20th Century.

Williams’ saving grace is that at times when he sees a flicker, he looks instead of closing his eyes as told to do by his “betters” who are liberally authoritarian.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:09 AM

How many conservatives does NPR employ?
logis on October 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Come on, they have David Brooks.
Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 10:30 AM

I forgot about him. That would bring the total to — let’s see: add in the union members; carry the seven…

Oh yeah: zero.

logis on October 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM

I read this when I came in to work this morning and it just makes me sick. Juan Williams often takes positions with which I disagree, and often takes position at variance with common sense. Yet on other occasions I find that he has a lot of common sense, and sometimes I find that he leads me to look at things from another point of view. When I watch him debate on Fox News Sunday it seems to me that he often argues simply to provide an opposing point of view to Bill Kristol et al. yet that is necessary.

So I like him. He comes across as a decent honest journalist. He is thoughtful. He has a lot of common sense, and frequently, as I listen to him I find him persuasive. He is a family oriented guy as well.

I am very sorry about what happened to him and I hope that Fox finds a position for him with greater visibility and income. I promise to watch…even if he sometimes drives me crazy.

I think that the dealing with funding for NPR ought to be on the list of things to do by the new congress when it takes office.

Blaise on October 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Yeesh. Go chase down the Bilderbergers.

No telling your hangups, and not interested in doing your own chasing.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Isn’t it fun to watch the liberals “eat their own”? NPR not only fired a good journalist, they also added to the Obama administration’s unemployment figures! I’ve always enjoyed Juan Williams on Fox News and wish him the best. Maybe now that he’s free of NPR he’ll come on over and join the (tea) party.

Judging from the comments about Mr. William’s firing over on the NPR website, their gaffe will cost them dearly in donations, and in a recession people don’t need much of an excuse not to send money…

Jonas Parker on October 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM

What aggravates me the most is, as usual, the hypocrisy of these hippies. NPR tools and their ilk would be the first to try and use their position to get out of any situation they deemed dangerous, including getting off a plane where half a dozen Saudi Muslim-looking men were sitting next to them.

yubley on October 21, 2010 at 11:16 AM

He’s going to become more conservative in his views (not socially, of course).

joshlbetts on October 21, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Oh yeah: zero.

logis on October 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM

While math is not my strong suit, that is the same answer I came up with.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Today the character of conservatives all over the US is on full display by their support of Juan Williams; an honest Liberal.

PatriotRider on October 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Not much on msm about this, they rather talk about odonnell not naming a dem senator she would work with….

cmsinaz on October 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Or the justice’s wife

cmsinaz on October 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I understand the PC business, but I think it is truly more that he exposed the fact that everyone profiles and the left,NPR in this case, couldn’t have one of their icons publicly advocating or expressing heresy.

belad on October 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Oops. Sorry to trip up your conspiracy theorizing with facts.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Funny, isn’t it.

They’ve been warned, time and time again, that in the world they advocate, Liberals would be the first to go.

franksalterego on October 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Gov. Palin has come out in support of Juan Williams. That’s class for you. It also shows she has thick skin.

She tweets:

“NPR defends 1st Amendment Right, but will fire u if u exercise it.”

“Juan Williams: u got taste of Left’s hypocrisy, they screwed up firing you.”

The lame stream media is so dead….LOL

idesign on October 21, 2010 at 11:25 AM

belad on October 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM

That’s right. Shhhh, can’t afford to allow the public to awaken to reality from the sweet PC dreams.

The bitter NPR, clinging to PC antipathy for truth.

You’re Fired!

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Jonas Parker on October 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I have never read their comment section before but if they certainly aren’t doing well with this decision.

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM

…still chasing your tail…

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM

best of luck to you Juan…

time for the Brit & Juan show…that would be some good television

cmsinaz on October 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM

..agreed! Welcomed with open arms along with Mara Liasson as fair and objective commentators from the left side of the continuum. the Brit & Juan show would be eminently watchable!

The War Planner on October 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM

NPR = Nothing but Partisan Rants

This government-funded leftist propaganda tool needs to be TOTALLY DEFUNDED!!! (…And no, Sesame Street will NOT go away: Kermit is keeping NPR alive – not the other way ’round!)

Although Juan Williams mostly echoed the wilfully-blind leftist line, exhibited occasional flashes of rationality. Apparently rationality is treated as a terminal disease in a leftist world.

landlines on October 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Cindy Munford on October 21, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I posted the exact same message over at NPR and it was deleted – twice!

Jonas Parker on October 21, 2010 at 11:30 AM

The move came after Mr. Williams, who is also a Fox News political analyst

That’s the real reason why he was fired. Liberals have been trying to get him fired for years because he works at Fox

Now it’s time to look at all the Liberals at NPR and everthing they’ve ever said, and to keep a constant eye on them, especially Gwen Awfil.

OxyCon on October 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I promise to watch…even if he sometimes drives me crazy.

Blaise on October 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM

He’s *supposed* to drive you crazy. He presents the left’s point of view, unencumbered with the bullsh!t and you are supposed to weigh the facts and sum up using all of the evidence presented.

The War Planner on October 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Juan has been in hot water before at NPR, his sole crime being that of working for Fox, with his enemies declaring it to be “a conflict of interest.” Now they have something more substantial to nail him on. NPR is not called “National Palestinian Radio” for nothing, and an equivalent remark concerning any non-Muslim group probably would not have evoked the immediate firing.

NPR’s action here is going to hurt it. The pretense of being “public radio” as opposed to actually being a plaything of the New Yorker loving left supported by taxpayer funds has been exposed. I expect there will be serious efforts to defund it in Congress next year.

However he has unwittingly served the conservative cause, I feel badly for Juan, who is a truly decent and honest political commentator well above the level of most of his conservative detractors in integrity if not wisdom.

ptolemy on October 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Damn, that’s satisfying. Thank you.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM

Make sure you read the whole thread. It appears that he may have been trying to get banned.

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Laura Ingraham just said she gave Juan Williams her seat to host BOR Show tomorrow night..:)

Dire Straits on October 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

This was a pre-emptive termination. Like that Sherrod woman at the USDA. They knew the Muslims would get their Bvd’s in a bunch and didn’t want the muslim death threats.
Muslims will bomb, terrorize and kill until we start saying they are peacefull.

seven on October 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Whenever something like this happens, I like to see the reaction over DU and other lefty sites. As expected, most are gleeful over Williams firing, although more than a few have enough honesty to call a spade a spade:

I find it disturbing how little support there is on this board for anything resembling the exercise of free speech with which we disagree.

Personally, I don’t share Williams’ overall anxiety about Muslims, but the fact is that the spread of radical politicized Islamicism is very much a contemporary issue and concern not just with Fox news viewers, but with many Americans, Euros, etc.

So this fellow Williams makes what seem to be some quite very mild statements reflecting this anxiety, and he gets sacked by what is supposed to be a “public broadcaster”. And people here cheer on those who wielded the ax to censor this legal expression of free speech on a matter of public interest?

Seriously, if this board is reflective of those of us on the left and center-left part of the political spectrum, and I believe it is to some extent, then it’s no wonder that the right wing in America and elsewhere virtually owns the debate on free speech.

Because of our apparent proclivity for supporting censorship of speech we don’t like, we basically have nothing useful to contribute to that important debate. So the right wing, and the racists, get to conduct the debate virtually unopposed.

(If you need evidence of our irrelevance to free speech discussions, just do a search for “Molly Norris” on google. It will quickly become apparent that the right wing are about the only ones who have spoken out against those who have forced her into hiding because of her perfectly legal exercise of her first amendment rights.)

And this is why I think NPR just bought itself a lot of trouble. There are enough people on the left who have notions of fairness and basic common sense and the backlash is going to come from all sides.

RadClown on October 21, 2010 at 11:41 AM

It’s so DUMB!!! He was being honest. It’s a stereotyping that we’re ALL guilty of. Didn’t NPR do something on Talking Teabagger or something? I mean, they’re HUGELY hypocritical, so it doesn’t surprise me they did this. Didn’t they give Mara Liason, if I got that right, crap for being on Fox too much?

Public funding should NOT go to that station simply because it’s not a bipartisan outlet but a propaganda machine. Screw NPR and the horse it rode in on. DEFUND NPR NOW! Heh.

Sponge on October 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Dear Fox News,

Put Mr. Williams on with Shep Smith… it would be a winning combo!

ajacksonian on October 21, 2010 at 11:43 AM

No one’s mentioned the CAIR connection yet?

visions on October 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

…still chasing your tail…

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Better than chasing the Illuminati. FEER DA GWOBAWISTS!

fossten on October 21, 2010 at 11:35 AM

He’s been trying for months.

MadisonConservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM

“Everyone profiles”…

At first I thought of possible exceptions. But then, where ever racial profiling is prohibited, security consistently suffers rather than benefiting public safety.

Western Civilization’s governments and the UN body of global governments take the hypocritical public position to deny participation in “racial profiling”. The UN directs aid according to regional racial components. And Obama’s America plays the willing scapegoat still at the UN, being profiled by the UN as the target cause of all evil. Domestically, federally, DHS Napolitano’s first memo profiled conservatives and veterans as her target for investigation/prosecution. And in local policing, denying racial profiling not only targets the public for victimization, but specifically targets any who dare speak out for logic to prevail (Williams).

Arguing against PC is a natural and logical response to the PC tide of abuse.

Hassan was ENABLED with his Ft. Hood massacre because of our government’s military PC profiling that denies reality and targets logic to be prosecuted, imprisoned and dishonorable discharged.

maverick muse on October 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Jonas Parker on October 21, 2010 at 11:15 AM

For the first time in my life, I checked out their site, and that particular thread.
Someone attempted to ‘warn’ the moderator that most of these comments against NPR were plants from radical conservative blogs …….
What did that do ?
From then on, posters went out of their ways to say that they’d been longtime supporters, but are now severing their relationship, listenership, and particularly there FINANCIAL support.
Delicious.

pambi on October 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Once again, the totalitarian nature of leftism is on display.

As if we needed another example.

Rebar on October 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Honestly, the story here is and continues to be free speech. The left is doing whatever it can to stifle it.
I find it unbelievable that NPR obviously thinks that people are clueless as to what this is all about.
Secondly, can you imagine the left uproar if FOX had canned Juan?

ORconservative on October 21, 2010 at 11:56 AM