Brutal new ad: “The Chinese professor”

posted at 8:32 pm on October 21, 2010 by Allahpundit

Too good to be dumped into Headlines and forgotten about. So effective is it, in fact — note the Hollywood-quality production values — that it leaves me wondering why a more high-profile outfit didn’t think of it first. Surely Rove’s group or some other mega-PAC is capable of stuff this sharp. Maybe they’re afraid of the inevitable racism charge? Can’t blame ‘em if so: Members of a racial minority saying or doing something contrary to progressive interests is, after all, pretty much the textbook definition of racism.

Exit question: Would a ChiCom college seminar really focus on the perils of big government? I ask you.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ha. 2030?

This is already happening.

Singapore. South Korea… they are laughing at us.

tetriskid on October 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

China is slowly, but surely, headed in the right direction.

lorien1973 on October 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Devastating.

the_nile on October 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

OT: Can I put in my guess for the QOTD being Harry Reid?

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Perfect. Glenn Beck discussed this on his morning show.

HornetSting on October 21, 2010 at 8:36 PM

A Chinese professor could well focus on the perils of betraying one’s own principles.

BTW, the ad is absolutely brutal. Already posted it on Facebook, and recommend everyone do the same.

JohnGalt23 on October 21, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Not worried about the Chinese, the Japanese will have subdued the world with their robots by 2030.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Exit answer: They’re moving right while we’re moving left. In 20 years it’s QUITE possible that China will be more capitalistic than the U.S.A.

Godefroi on October 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

Saw it during Fox News tonight. I first thought it was a trailer for a new movie before realizing it was the best political ad I have seen this year. Hits all the right notes regarding unsustainable debt and D.C.’s addiction to increasing it as an answer to keeping their power when we’re really increasing the power of those who hold our debt.

chickasaw42 on October 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Funny thing is that both China and the USA are a one party state where the elites rule.

rickyricardo on October 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM

I watched this on TV just tonight. First time I’d seen it. It will get the attention of Americans. Don’t know about the Chinese but it’s not aimed at them now, is it?

Oldnuke on October 21, 2010 at 8:41 PM

I for one welcome our new Chinese overlords.

greggriffith on October 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Who do you think owns the note on your house now…?

Seven Percent Solution on October 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Yeah, it is best to learn from other’s mistakes rather than make them yourself.

HornetSting on October 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM

After O’Donnell described the China problem with absolute precision — the Chinese hold so much of our debt, we can’t hold them accountable in their dealings with Iran or North Korea — Coons smirkingly replied: “It’s hard for me to respond effectively, Wolf, to all the different issues that my opponent has raised in previous statements, and I’ll just let that stand.”

……………

In contrast to O’Donnell’s manifestly true point that “China could take us over monetarily before they could militarily,” Coons seemed more worried about a military invasion. He warned that “as the Chinese have become economically stronger, they are seeking to become militarily stronger.”

O’Donnell ain’t that stupid.

the_nile on October 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Ouch

brak on October 21, 2010 at 8:46 PM

OT: This has to be one of the greatest O’Reilly Factors ever. Did you see the outrage of Karl Rove? Of Juan Williams? My vote for QOTD.

John the Libertarian on October 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

MeatHeadinCA on October 21, 2010 at 8:47 PM

A bit off topic but maybe not.

Prices for groceries are rising rapidly here in FL. Shelf items are rising by .25 per item (all items). Bacon is now priced at $7.10 per pound (yes you read that correctly). Coffee is now at $4.50 per pound for store brand. Perishables also rising on a daily basis.

Just a suggestion: Get a membership to a wholesale warehouse big box whateveryacall it store and start stocking up. This is coming at us hard and fast. I shop daily for my family and am becoming more and more alarmed by the day at how quickly the prices are rising.

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Hope the person who made that ad doesn’t work for NPR.

humdinger on October 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

It’s a good thing we have a “Free and Independent Press” , like they do in China, to inform and warn the Citizens of the United States of the consequences of the reckless behaviour and failed ideology of our current political leaders, and make sure they are held accountable and not re-elected …

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on October 21, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Of course they would. It is their path to displace the US the sole hyperpower.

They have to maintain low worker wages or they will become the next Japan, and those workers aren’t going to enslave themselves. They need to prepare a new generation of mandarin to rule them.

pedestrian on October 21, 2010 at 8:51 PM

Exit question: Why does the CAGW website still look like it’s stuck in 1993?

amerpundit on October 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

You could substitute a room full of illegals for just as an effective message.

SouthernGent on October 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Again, China owns about $900 billion of our debt of about $13 trillion. Or less than 7%.

The vast majority of the debt is held by Americans.

The problem, of course, is that it’s getting worse.

SteveMG on October 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

It’s all true except for the last part. The debt will be inflated away to worthlessness.

ebrawer on October 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

rickyricardo on October 21, 2010 at 8:40 PM

Exactly; China just doesn’t bother with the bundle of fig leaves like our elite does. And the worst part is that they’re eating our lunch – our economy and educational system are pathetic in comparison. Our factories are rusting and our children’s brains are rotting while they make much of what we need in physical goods and steal us blind on intellectual property.

Yeah, they have endured Mao’s Marxist tomfoolery, God-awful pollution, and gender genocide (the 1-child act, which they passed out of desperation)…but you tell me which nation is set to fall apart in the next couple decades. I don’t think it’s going to be the nation that has existed coherently since before George Washington was a twinkle in his daddy’s eye.

Dark-Star on October 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Same here in MN. Went grocery shopping the other night with the wife and I was saying “Holy Shiite!” most of the time as we walked through the aisles looking at prices. Even the generic stuff is going up radically.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Whoa… and ouch.

Jaibones on October 21, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Even the generic stuff is going up radically.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Did you thank Obama?

MeatHeadinCA on October 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

SteveMG on October 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

They own another $2 trillion in US foreign exchange reserves
(http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34314.pdf).

pedestrian on October 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Dark-Star: While the Chinese _civilization_ is perhaps the single longest-living civilization recognizable as such…

The Chinese _state_ has not been nearly as resilient as ours. If I thought that the Chinese had actually figured out the issue with their view of history, I might be more worried. ;)

Scott H on October 21, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Re: How much debt China really owns.

The ad says the speech is taking place in 2030. The idea being that we’ll keep spending and China will keep buying our debt until it owns us. It doesn’t necessarily mean China owns most of our debt now.

It’s about stopping all of this from happening.

amerpundit on October 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I saw this commercial this afternoon and got the chills. Very effective.

joejm65 on October 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM

This kind of assumes something other than a really communist China in 2030.

Count to 10 on October 21, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM

You don’t even want to know what is going on out here in California…

… Excuse me whilst I attend our evening cat roast and dog BBQ in our neighborhood culdesac, while we fend off the hungry hordes with the ammo we stocked up on.

Seven Percent Solution on October 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Saw this on Fox News this evening. I had to back it up and play it again. It gave me the chills.
Best ad ever!

milwife88 on October 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

They own another $2 trillion in US foreign exchange reserves

Yes, but we’re worried about public debt not private holdings.

That’s the key question (at least for me): public debt.

And the increase that they are acquiring as we continue down this path.

SteveMG on October 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM

Did you thank Obama?
MeatHeadinCA on October 21, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Yes, PBHO is directly contributing to my being able to keep this nice, trim concentration camp inmate look I have been cultivating.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 9:05 PM

We used to be the model of freedom and success.

Now we are the model of tyranny and regrets.

Kini on October 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

That add alone could win almost every seat the election.

If only the GOP had the bravery and integrity to show it all over the nation.

gozzak on October 21, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Not worried about the Chinese, the Japanese will have subdued the world with their sex robots by 2030.

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

FIFY.

Rebar on October 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM

They own another $2 trillion in US foreign exchange reserves

Yes, but we’re worried about public debt not private holdings.

SteveMG on October 21, 2010 at 9:02 PM

What’s the difference?

And federal reserves are virtually the same as treasuries, especially when you consider they have trillions and can call the shots. They didn’t start paying interest on reserves out the goodness of their hearts.

pedestrian on October 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM

chilling ad.

speaking of chilling, what’s up with all the vamp ads around here. giv’n me nightmares AP.

ted c on October 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM

What’s the difference?

Private holdings of debt and public? If they call in the private debt what will happen? They can get paid. Or private companies can default or claim bankruptcy. Or settle out of court. Or China can be stuck with IOUs.

If they try to trade in the treasury notes, the government needs to pay them. By printing dollars in all likelihood. Which will lead to inflation. If they don’t pay them, our currency will collapse and nobody will risk loaning us more money. Greece anyone?

SteveMG on October 21, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Yes but in their own twisted way. They may allow property rights to an extent or even lower taxes, but they will never alow legitimate voting, private schools, or true free speech.

jeffn21 on October 21, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Ha ha! The joke’s on the Chinese!

If you think Americans are even a little bit entitled, lazy and stupid now, think of how lazy, entitled, and stupid we’ll be by 2030. With the nanny state totally shutting down personal responsibility and the same nanny state issuing college loans to American students to be indoctrinated into idiotic political degrees with no real world function… we should all be thoroughly “nudged” into being Cass Sunstein’s mindless Homer Simpsons. An entire nation will be made into parasitical government teat-suckers, none of whom will have a productive job, and all of whom will be thoroughly worthless.

Take that, China! Have you ever tried to get work out of a government employee! Ha ha ha!

Good ad, but unfortunately reminds me a tiny bit of the South Park episode “The China Probrem”. It works on a basic level, but realistically, if we get into worse debt, we just start dragging China down with us. Now, that’s not to say things wouldn’t change in 20 years and that China wouldn’t start changing the structure of the debt to actually make the Chinese Professor’s world exist.

CPL 310 on October 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Weird. There were 313 views this morning when I posted it to FB and it still had 313 views.

“I call shenanigans, again.”

Fallon on October 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM

“I call shenanigans, again.”

Fallon on October 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Youtube got those liberal glitches now and then..

the_nile on October 21, 2010 at 9:41 PM

“I call shenanigans, again.”

Fallon on October 21, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Since there are 124 comments on the video I would say you are correct.

sharrukin on October 21, 2010 at 9:47 PM

Key West Reader on October 21, 2010 at 8:49 PM

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:53 PM

You don’t even want to know what is going on out here in California…

Seven Percent Solution on October 21, 2010 at 9:00 PM

What ticks me off is that the prices are increasing, but at the same time the portion sizes are decreasing. Now you buy 14oz of lunch meat for more than 16oz was a month ago. One brand of sugar has brazenly changed their packaging to promote the new “4 pounder”. of course it is more expensive than 5 pounds was until recently. I mean, at least kiss me first!
My wife used to roll her eyes when I would complain to her about it at the store. Now she’s started noticing as well. It all started when she realized that her favorite frozen chimichangas had went up in price but you only get 8 instead of 10.

Hazzard on October 21, 2010 at 9:57 PM

I’m not that crazy about the ad. China is not our enemy,
and if you don’t beleive me I’ll monkey kung fu your ass.
China didn’t force american companies to move over there and they didn’t force there goods onto our shores.
WE have no right to tell them how to value there currency.
We let this happen. Americans let it happen and more importantly wanted it to happen.
Every step of the way they were helped by the dems and repubics.

kangjie on October 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Prices for groceries are rising rapidly

Try Ralph’s.

Emperor Norton on October 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I’m not that crazy about the ad. China is not our enemy,
and if you don’t beleive me I’ll monkey kung fu your ass.
WE have no right to tell them how to value there currency.
Every step of the way they were helped by the dems and repubics.

kangjie on October 21, 2010 at 10:08 PM

It’s not about how stupid China is..

the_nile on October 21, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I might point out that this ad is not saying “China is evil and out to get us.”

Rather it is saying: “We are being stupid, wasteful, and lazy. If we don’t shape up we will lose to China because we deserve to.”

Sackett on October 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I’m not too worried about it.

ramthulon on October 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM

No. That was my first thought when I saw the ad. I’m not surprised the folks who love Glenn Beck love this ad. Such low standards.

NoStoppingUs on October 21, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Slam dunk.

Saltysam on October 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I’m not too worried about it.

ramthulon on October 21, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Keep your eyes on the pendant….

…you are getting veerrrrrry sleeeeepppy.

Saltysam on October 21, 2010 at 10:34 PM

Sure, it showed the ChiCom flag, but nothing ever said it wasn’t the Republic of China (aka “Taiwan”) instead of the People’s Republic.

Demographics is destiny at the national level, and the future belongs to those who show up. Decades of the one-child policy have ensured that China will get old before it ever gets rich. And saber-rattling against the Japanese (warning: links NSFW) and others in the last 2-3 months have pretty much isolated it on the regional stage. Every bit as much as we ourselves, the ChiComs are in for some truly interesting times, by their own making.

Blacksmith on October 21, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Obama Pleads with Chinese Repo Man to Keep White House

Mervis Winter on October 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM

DAYUM Mervis, that was effin funny. Thanks, I nearly choked laughin so hard.

44Magnum on October 21, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Smith’s first masterpiece, the Theory of Moral Sentiments, has been translated into Chinese for the first time, and Chris Berry, professor at Glasgow University, where Smith wrote the book, will next week deliver lectures on it at Fudan University in Shanghai.

China’s Premier, Wen Jiabao, has said he often carries the work – which preceded his more famous work The Wealth of Nations – in his suitcase when he goes abroad. Prof Berry said the earlier book emphasised the importance “not only [of] their material prosperity but also their moral welfare”.
___________________________________________________

Hemmed in by mountains and the sea, Wenzhou’s land shortage forced its inhabitants into trade. Now, it’s China’s capital of capitalism. Ninety-nine percent of all business in the city is private sector, according to Wenzhou government statistics.

And those entrepreneurs have been phenomenally successful: Last year, one in every three Chinese tourists overseas was from Wenzhou and one-tenth of China’s luxury cars ended up in this city of 8 million.

Nowhere is the Wenzhou love of making money — and flaunting it — more apparent than the city’s only Louis Vuitton store. As soft Muzak chimes in the background, brand-conscious shoppers finger the $300 key rings and ogle the leather bags.

“We all like LV (Louis Vuitton) for bags, since everyone knows this brand,” says a man who identifies himself as Mr. Wu. He does a quick inventory of his wardrobe: bag by Louis Vuitton, shoes by Gucci, stripy cotton sweater by Paul & Shark with a $600 price tag. “Very expensive, but it’s worth it,” he adds, beaming in a self-satisfied manner.

Mrs. Jin is more sniffy about Louis Vuitton. “It’s too vulgar nowadays,” she says dismissively. “The streets are awash with it. I prefer Chanel, it’s more elegant.”
Millionaire

Chen Wenda started a lighter-parts factory at age 18. Two decades later, the millionaire owns a shoe factory, a wine business, real estate interests and a soccer team. He started the wine business to appeal to the brash, high-rolling millionaires of Wenzhou, where Chen says people like to flaunt their wealth more than in any other place in China.

Diversify, Diversify, Diversify

One 30-something millionaire, Chen Wenda, is aiming to cash in on the famed Wenzhou flashiness with his wine cellar stuffed full of Chateau Lafite and Petrus.

His trajectory follows a typical Wenzhou path. In 1988, at age 18, he started a lighter-part factory. Then he diversified. Now he has a shoe factory, an import-export business, a wine business, real-estate interests, and for the past two years, his own personal soccer team, which costs him half-a-million dollars a year. He describes the Wenzhou way of making money.

“I set up businesses and drop those that don’t make money, like the lighter-part factory. No one puts their eggs in one basket,” he explains.

“In Wenzhou, every single person does real estate. Everyone is pushing up the prices of buildings. We dare to do stuff. We’re not scared. And everyone wants to be their own boss,” he says.

These days, one in every ten bottles of wine drunk in China is guzzled in Wenzhou, as an accompaniment to deal-making. But Chen says the businessmen here are too busy making money to bother with the niceties of wine drinking.

“If they think that wine is too sour, they might add Coke to make it go down smoothly. If that’s what they want to do, that’s fine,” he adds. “I don’t see the need to emphasize European wine culture. Wenzhou people are too busy to do all of that. They have to meet people and do business.”

G M on October 21, 2010 at 11:12 PM

China buys our debt so that we can buy their products. With no U.S. market to sell to, thousands of factories close shop overnight. That’s a lot of unemployed, pissed off Chinese folk.

A bankrupted United States means a China seized by riots, bloodshed and recriminations against an already weakened Communist Party.

What will cause China (and India and Singapore and…) to rise above the West is a rejection of socialism and the rise of truly free markets.

We’ll see.

spmat on October 21, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Swack! That will leave a mark if it gets any airplay.

rgranger on October 21, 2010 at 11:22 PM

P.S. I do think China, India and the East as a whole will rise above us, as they deserve to do, because I believe that they will embrace free markets.

China as it currently exists is as much a bubble economy as we are. Other nations in the Orient are less so.

Sound money, sound banking, free markets, and most importantly, a systemic respect for contract; all of which are predicated on a cultural reverence for and desire to exhibit moral virtue and wisdom. There is no other way to sustainable growth.

The West rose to its heights from its marketplaces. Those marketplaces only sustained that growth because of the fertility afforded it by “love the Lord thy God” and “love thy neighbor”.

spmat on October 21, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Brilliant

Schadenfreude on October 21, 2010 at 11:43 PM

The cocktail chatter in a private room at Manhattan’s Cornell Club turned to a hush as 40 pharmaceutical executives, investment bankers, and attorneys raised their wine glasses to Raymond Wu, who died on Feb. 10. The Cornell University geneticist helped pioneer drought-resistant rice. But to the Chinese-American businessmen in the room, Wu was also known for a program he founded in the 1980s that helped 425 of China’s most brilliant students earn advanced biology degrees at elite U.S. schools. Today, 2,500 life sciences faculty at U.S. research universities are native Chinese, as are an estimated 10% to 20% of scientists in the labs of U.S. drug and biotech companies. “Ray Wu opened the door for countless Chinese students,” said Pfizer’s (PFE) Steve Yang, who offered the toast.

Now this wave of imported brainpower is building bridges between the pharmaceutical industries of China and the U.S. The catalysts are returnees, known as “sea turtles,” creatures celebrated in Chinese lore for their brave oceanic migrations. Just as previous waves of Taiwanese and Indian engineers blazed trails in Silicon Valley before building computer, chip, and software industries in their homelands, mainland returnees are setting up biotech startups, contract research companies, and university labs modeled after America’s. Pharma consultant Zhu Shen, a 1988 emigré, reckons there are 70,000 Chinese life science professionals in the U.S. and dozens of immigrant-founded biotechs in San Diego alone. “Everyone I speak to wants to open up in China,” she says.

G M on October 21, 2010 at 11:50 PM

No, don’t pick on the Chinese! They’re a minority! Wait… how many people live in China right now? Over a billion? Oh. Well, they’re not Caucasian, so I guess they’re still a minority anyway.

Seriously, though, remember that incident where that Chinese fighter collided with an American surveillance plane? After this happened, I told some liberals I knew that China was the last great threat to human freedom, and they laughed it off. Now, granted, one could argue that Islamist terrorism is a greater threat, but that’s besides the point. The point is that the liberals didn’t take an emerging threat seriously even after it becomes seriously threatening. China is bolstering its navy, being hostile to its neighbors (Taiwan especially), and it’s purchasing our debt is to use it as a cudgel against our foreign policy (which inevitably means rogue states like North Korea can do anything they want). And yet, despite all of that, a liberal would be far more likely to see the United States as a threat to freedom, and to further accuse anyone who disagrees of being a racist.

Whatever, libs. Keep blinding yourselves to reality as you march off the cliff. I won’t join you.

R. Waher on October 21, 2010 at 11:53 PM

I’m not saying China doesn’t have serious issues to deal with, but I doubt there is anyone in China sitting around, waiting for their “Hu Jintao money”.

G M on October 21, 2010 at 11:57 PM

Liberals are incapable of recognizing a threat.

Many Liberals believe in eugenics, so they are in favor of anything which makes human life difficult and/or impossible, and they are completely unconcerned about threats to human life.

How else can you explain:

1. Liberal attacks on energy (no coal, oil, gas, nuclear, or any other power source which actually works; deliberate cost increases in all forms of energy to make it unaffordable).

2. Liberal attacks on water supply (deliberate shortages, fines for using water, restrictions on use).

3. Liberal attacks on basic sanitation (showers, toilets, mandating soap formulation which does not work) and health care (destroy insurance, doctors, medical equipment providers, pharmacies, drug manufacturers).

3. Liberal attacks on transportation (restrictions on cars which make them unusable for transporting children and uncomfortable for adults, excessive regulations which balloon the basic cost of cars and trucks, takeover of auto manufacturers and drive them out of business by mandating products which nobody wants, etc.).

4. Liberal attacks on shelter (destruction of home value by forcing banks to give homes away and sticking taxpayers with the bill; regulatory interference with mortgages and home finance).

5. Liberal attacks on food (food restrictions, regulations, and mandates which make food costs go up and make desirable foods scarce).

6. Liberal attacks on trash collection (ban virtually every proven disposal method and mandate ever-more-wacky methods which are doomed to fail and create crisis after crisis).

7. Liberal attacks on virtually every other necessity of modern life (mandate light bulbs which don’t fit and don’t work, outlaw all pesticides which work, etc.)

Every wacky new initiative is designed to make life more and more miserable for humans. And when challenged, Liberals claim they are “environmentalists” (a claim which is never subject to challenge) and human life is unfairly threatening to some rodent, insect, or human predator.

In summary, Liberals do not care about human life: they hate it.

landlines on October 22, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Yet I recall that we’re going to be working for Mexico.

Shy Guy on October 22, 2010 at 1:00 AM

China is bolstering its navy, …

R. Waher on October 21, 2010 at 11:53 PMA

Would you feel threatened if they were?

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM

Would you feel threatened if they were?

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM

That would be a logical point if there was a moral equivalence between the American government and the Chinese one.

There isn’t.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 1:40 AM

There isn’t.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 1:40 AM

They’re a sovereign nation just as we are.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Bishop on October 21, 2010 at 8:38 PM

FIFY.

Rebar on October 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM

I, for one, welcome our new sex bot overlords.

strictnein on October 22, 2010 at 1:46 AM

They’re a sovereign nation just as we are.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM

So are Iran and North Korea.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 1:50 AM

So are Iran and North Korea.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Unlike those, the PRC is also a permanent member of the UN Security Council and has been a stable nuclear power for decades. It’s not exactly a rouge state.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:52 AM

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:52 AM

The Soviet Union was also a permanent member of the UN Security Council.

That doesn’t make them our friend, nor does it mean we should ignore the threat that they pose.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM

Ok, Dark Current. What is your definition of a rogue state? One that does this?

China’s military is harvesting organs from unwilling live prison inmates, mostly Falun Gong practitioners, for transplants on a large scale — including to foreign recipients — according to a study.

The report’s authors — Canada’s former secretary of state for the Asia Pacific region David Kilgour and human rights lawyer David Matas — implicated dozens of hospitals and jails throughout China in July, after a two-month investigation.

G M on October 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM

The Soviet Union was also a permanent member of the UN Security Council.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 1:57 AM

I agree, we shouldn’t ignore the potential threat. But also keep in mind that from a Chinese perspective they have the legitimate right to improve their military capabilities.

Given the history of Western and Japanese interference in China over the last few centuries it’s hard to say they have no basis for wanting to have a reasonably robust military capability.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM

From the perspective of 1935 Germany, they too had the legitimate right to improve their military capability.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Given the history of warfare in Europe, it was hard to say that Germany didn’t have a basis for wanting a robust military capability.

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 3:42 AM

So what do you think the US should do about it? If your answer is monitor China’s growing military capabilities and be ready to respond in the event our East Asian allies are attacked, I agree.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 3:52 AM

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 3:52 AM

Yes, and that would require US Navy aircraft gathering intelligence off the coast of China, wouldn’t it?

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 3:59 AM

sharrukin on October 22, 2010 at 3:59 AM

Sure. But we shouldn’t be surprised if the Chinese consider it somewhat threatening.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Maybe ended it by fading into an aerial shot of a rice field and you see a couple working in the middle of the rice paddy up to their knees in water….is that Barack and Michelle harvesting rice?
:-)

albill on October 22, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Great ad… wake up call…

Khun Joe on October 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM

The future is now.

Maybe the left would wake up if we started to suggest sending everyone who supported Obama’s spending spree to China to work in labor camps until the debt was paid off.

scrubjay on October 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM

This all started with Clinton when he leased the Long Beach port to the Chinese Navy. Curiously, they began to become a financial powerhouse during his tenure. I’m starting to believe all Democrats are Communists…..

adamsmith on October 22, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I see no racism in this ad. Leftist, socialist, America-hating progressives see racism in Wonder Bread, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they would call it racist because it has “yellow” people in it. This is a great ad…somewhat fear-mongering, but a dose of reality that instills fear and spurs one to action is healthy. (Like all the alleged “fear-mongering” of the Bush administration which kept terrorists at bay for 7 years after 9/11.)

Jarhead68 on October 22, 2010 at 8:51 AM

The US Navy aircraft was gathering intelligence off the coast of China. As far as I know, the Chinese Navy isn’t flying surveillance missions along the US coast. Would you feel threatened if they were? DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM

No, but they would.

Akzed on October 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

No, but they would.

Akzed on October 22, 2010 at 9:34 AM

You think the US is going to shoot them down if they’re flying in international airspace as the US planes were?

I imagine even an outdated piece of crap like the Chinese J-8 could probably shoot down an EP-3 if they wanted too.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 9:45 AM

You don’t think we’d run em off? What’d you mean by “along the coast”? Is that the same as “international waters”?

Akzed on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Is that the same as “international waters”?

Akzed on October 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I was thinking of a situation similar to the one involving the EP-3 near Hainan Island. I believe the US maintains the aircraft was in international airspace when the J-8 collided with it.

DarkCurrent on October 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM

China is slowly, but surely, headed in the right direction.

lorien1973 on October 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Yeah, like still pursuing that “one-child” policy, with a severe shortage of females of childbearing age. I’d bet on an economic detour within a generation.

manwithblackhat on October 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM

No. In terms of other nations, they would focus on the weakness (inferiority)of other cultures which led them to sqnander power and wealth

In terms of their own nation, they would focuse on business and personal practice which could interfere with the success of the nation (the government)

Thus the Chinese would not criticize their own government, but would criticize enemies of their government. They’re not suicidal

This video used American fantasies about Chinese opinions of Americans

For a view of the worst case scenario in Chinese cultural direction I recommend ‘Unrestricted Warfare’ by Col. Qiao Liang and Col. Wang Xiangsui Published in 1999 by the People Liberation Army, translated to English by the CIA it was a best seller in China.

The authors examine the weaknesses of Western culture which can be exploited in war, and promote Chinese cultural superiority over the West, which probably explains the popularity of the book.

This 1999 book has some historic merit

Whether it be intrusions of hackers, a major explosion at the World Trade Center, or a bombing attack by bin Laden, all these greatly exceed the frequency band widths understood by the American military

another interesting except

“World’s number one,” an ideology corresponding to “isolationism” always makes Americans tend to pursue unlimited objectives as they expand their national power. But this is a tendency which in the end will lead to tragedy. A company which has unlimited resources but which is nevertheless keen to take on unlimited responsibilities is headed for only one possible outcome, and that is bankruptcy

This being a translation, I wonder whether the authors meant ‘tragedy’, since tragedy implies sympathy for the victim

entagor on October 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM