Debate moderator to Rubio: How’s it feel to be anti-Latino?

posted at 2:38 pm on October 20, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Florida politics have gotten ugly, haven’t they? A Democratic incumbent calls his Republican opponent a member of the Taliban, and now the son of a Cuban immigrant is not just called anti-immigration, but anti-Latino.  And this time it’s not Charlie Crist who sets himself up as the arbiter of Hispanic authenticity, but the debate moderator.  Greg Hengler clips this dreadful question and memorable response from Rubio:

It seems to escape the intellectual capacity of Rubio’s opponents, and many on the Left, that one can be pro-immigration while demanding and end to illegal immigration.  Marco Rubio makes this point very clearly and concisely by demanding the rule of law apply not just to Americans but also those who want to enter our country.  It’s hardly anti-Latino to demand equal treatment under the law, and to demand that the federal government fulfill one of its actual Constitutional duties in securing the nation’s borders.

Basically, the moderator called Rubio a bigot.  Rubio responded with a lot more class than he was afforded.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

paul1149 on October 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM

Yeah. Crist also got a bad rap the other day for the same thing. After all, he was just repeating a lefty tabloid.

On a totally unrelated note, I hear people are all talking about Crist’s body odor and lack of sexual prowess. I’m not saying I believe it, of course, but maybe someone should raise the issue. Since it’s topical, and all.

RINO in Name Only on October 20, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Come on, don’t even say that. You’re going to end the depression and bring about a recovery in the housing market. After all, you have secret ‘market forces’ on your side that not even economists and Wall Street types can comprehend or detect. It’s 2000 all over again- get rid of the morally corrupt Democrat with under-educated but self righteous saviors of the constitution and then improve the country’s fiscal health. That’s exactly what you did in 2000, right?

bayam on October 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM

paul1149 on October 20, 2010 at 4:46 PM

No he didn’t, asswipe. He invented an accusation and layed it off to unnamed others. That’s just the coward’s way of saying it loud and proud.

He owns it, and he should swim in it.

Jaibones on October 20, 2010 at 7:49 PM

How in the world could leftists possibly think they can make an “anti-Latino” label stick to Marco Rubio? The idea is ludicrous on the face of it.

IronDioPriest on October 20, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Oh, come on, IDP. The Communist Black Caucus had Clarence Thomas as a black anti-black racist. This should be easy.

Jaibones on October 20, 2010 at 7:54 PM

bayam on October 20, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I believe it is customary, when you quote someone, for your comment to have something to do with the thing you’ve quoted. Also, when you comment on a thread, I’m told the tradition is to have the comment be related to the main blog post.

RINO in Name Only on October 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM

Advantage Rubio. He parried an ugly thrust with a lot of class and focus.

Mojave Mark on October 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Didn’t the moderator know he’s part Cuban? Apparently not.

jeanie on October 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM

The “moderator’s” question was nothing more than DNC talking points meant to put Marco Rubio on the defensive. Complaints should be made to the sponsors of this debate.

Marco Rubio is so very talented and committed to principles. He deserves a win by a huge margin.

As I understand the Florida demographics, the Cuban population is supportive of legal immigration, not amnesty. They are proud to be Americans.

The Dems continue to play identity politics with utter foolishness. Note the excerpt from a blog post I found this morning re black conservatives.

38 Black Tea Party Republicans Running Against Obama & the Democrats

It has been reported in the UK Telegraph overseas.

Black Republicans offer hope after Barack Obama’s failures on race

It has also been picked up by Conservative talk radio hosts like Laura Ingraham. It has also been picked up by Tea Party Conservative bloggers…. But that’s it!!! Why is that it?

onlineanalyst on October 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Who does this hack moderator think he is ? Wolfie Blitzer ? Bob Schieffer ?
viking01 on October 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Gwen Ifill ? George Snufflupagus ? (Georgie, senior political adviser to the 1992 U.S. presidential campaign of Bill Clinton and later Clinton White House Communications Director, moderated the Kirk and Giannoulias debate in Illinois last night.)…

Fallon on October 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM

One other point re “English as the official language”: That designation simply means that all official paperwork, whether for government purposes, applications for items like driver’s licenses, voting, etc. are conducted in English. The cost of printing documents to accommodate speakers of other languages is prohibitive. (Thank Billy Clinton for executing that travesty.)

Also, I want to see Marco Rubio and others of his ilk in Congress for a while in order to reverse the damage done by Lefties.

onlineanalyst on October 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Wow. Good answer. There is a good crop of Republicans out there this cycle. Obama has done some serious damage to America, but he may have also sparked the Conservative awakening my generation so desperately needed.

bitsy on October 20, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Perhaps many people do not understand this but here goes:

Hispanic people carry European genes in their DNA, more specifically, Caucasian AKA ‘white’ genes.
Many gene pools included in the Hispanic group can contain anywhere from roughly 30% up to 90% or more Caucasian genes in their DNA.

So to say that Hispanics or LAtinos are not ‘white’ is actually not really true.

And skin color is genetic.

There are so many variations that there is no way you can base a person’s ‘race’ upon the color of their skin.
Ignorance is astounding on this subject.

Which is why I hate the pigeon-holing ‘race’ word bcs it pretty much means zippo.

Badger40 on October 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Badger, on your topic check this out: I got a niece that was adopted from Russia; now a teen. Family ran amongst themselves a DNA test on their family-her DNA traces to COSTA RICA!!

Figure that one out for me. She has a semi-Latina look with straight brown hair, “coffee-with-milk” skintone so she does tan, brown eyes; but she was born in Russia with Russian parents as far as I know.

If she travels with me to PR all she has to do is keep her mouth shut and she passes as one; no one would look at her unless she starts speaking English b/c that would confuse people; then they carry on with their lives as usual.

Same goes for Taylor Lautner. Of course he’s of worldwide fame, but with a ballcap and looser clothing (and not do weights for a couple of weeks) would work for him too.

ProudPalinFan on October 20, 2010 at 10:03 PM

onlineanalyst on October 20, 2010 at 9:26 PM

Yes, that is absolutely true.

ProudPalinFan on October 20, 2010 at 10:04 PM

If I’m Hispanic and someone says I look like I could be Asian, am I not a racist if I am insulted? Shouldn’t Asians be insulted that Hispanics are insulted by the mere thought they may look Asian?

JonPrichard on October 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Nope, because where I come from that would be taken in a light way. On the contrary, we had fun because my mom’s eyes had that Oriental look (RIP breast cancer 13 years ago). That and a killer body in her youth.

ProudPalinFan on October 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Spanish is the language of indigenous people, you see.

NoDonkey on October 20, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Ahh , those pacifist native Conquistadors.

the_nile on October 20, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Those jerks abused my tribe (Taíno), took women for pleasure, made them crops for them to eat; forced Taínos do get gold for them (by collecting it from rivers) and poor tribe thought they were immortal. Until Diego Salcedo was killed and the uprising began.

But unfortunately, they got swiped out and that gene and traditions are there; just that they’re all gone.

ProudPalinFan on October 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I pray Rubio gets elected, but if not, he could have a great career as an actor in romantic comedies. He can’t get anymore handsome. ahhh!

HellCat on October 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM

The contrast between Marco Rubio and any other candidate I’ve seen, is just stunning. He believes and he believes with passion. This moderator made an ass of himself, yet Marco gave him an answer that you can’t get from a teleprompter.

In this world, most Democrats are afraid to tell you what they believe, Marco Rubio doesn’t even hesitate for a second to tell you what he believes. There is no doubt, in my mind that, after I vote for him, I will be sure how he’s going to vote on the important issues.

Go Marco.

bflat879 on October 20, 2010 at 10:36 PM

And this time it’s not Charlie Crist who sets himself up as the arbiter of Hispanic authenticity, but the debate moderator. Greg Hengler clips this dreadful question and memorable response from Rubio:

I am still mystified how it is to the Left that one is accused of being “anti Latino” WHEN one wants our laws applied as to immigration and national security (borders, immigration, visas, foreign workers).

It seems to me that it is terribly prejudicial to equate “being Latino” with being opposed to any/all of that.

That is, how that one ethnicity is assumed by the Left to be expressly associated with a position that is pro-enforcement or pro-non-enforcement.

Makes no sense. The moderator, what he said, it’s outrageous, and utterly disgusting. His name, again? Because it needs to be plastered all over the place as to what and how a cretin behaves.

Rubio handled the cretin’s cruddy slur with intelligence and grace and for that, the cretin can somewhat be thanked: he provided Rubio with yet another moment to win hearts, minds and people OF ALL ETHNICITIES AND RACES.

Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM

JonPrichard on October 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM

ProudPalinFan on October 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM

ACTUALLY, genetically, many a person who is today “Hispanic” or “Latino”

Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM

SORRY, hit “enter” by accident before completing my comments (Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:18 PM)…so completing them in the following:

JonPrichard on October 20, 2010 at 3:45 PM

ProudPalinFan on October 20, 2010 at 10:06 PM

ACTUALLY, genetically, many a person who is today “Hispanic” or “Latino” IS Asian in ancestry, with some Spanish/European, perhaps “African” thrown in.

Asia is the source of the migration to parts of South America and Central America that gave rise to what later were called “native” people there. All of them, actually, Asian by ancestry before the Spanish with people from Africa arrived.

Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Southeast Asian, to be exact.

Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I’m waiting for a moderator to ask a Democrat candidate if they’re going to apologize for their party starting the KKK.

Lourdes on October 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM

I disagree with Ed’s characterization of the moderator’s statement. He didn’t call Rubio anti-Latino or a bigot, he repeated charges in his role as questioner. It was a tough, blunt question, to be sure, but we need to be very careful not to smear without reason anyone who challenges us. This is an extremely important moral distinction with the left, which if we lose, we have nothing of real value to offer the nation.

Oh, dear. Oh, my. (insert wringing hands)

Maybe you should be less concerned about your “extremely important moral distinction” and more about how the Left operates. Try some remedial research. The “moderator” did what every leftist masquerading as a journalist does by insinuating a slander through a nameless attribution, e.g., “many have said” (variations include, “some say,” “experts have said,” observers have noted”).

Rubio missed an opportunity to more directly challenge the moderator and put the Left on notice. But all conservatives miss these opportunities all the time.

rrpjr on October 21, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Wonderful. Now commentators and questioners are instilling political biases into their questioning. That was more of a diatribe than a question actually.

Sultry Beauty on October 21, 2010 at 10:02 PM