Desperation: Barney Frank lent campaign $200,000 in third quarter

posted at 10:12 pm on October 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

As much as I like Bielat, not until this very moment did I think this seat might really be in play.

Frank isn’t a tremendously wealthy guy. What on earth are his internal polls showing him to make him cough up 200 grand?

Longtime Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank has given his re-election campaign $200,000 as he faces his toughest race in years.

A campaign finance report filed Tuesday showed that Frank, the chairman of the powerful House Financial Services committee, lent himself the money Tuesday…

A longtime public servant, Frank isn’t exactly a rich man. Financial disclosures filed with the House show he has assets between $560,000 and $1.5 million. He is not required to disclose the worth of his primary residence.

Maybe he’s just playing it safe. According to the new WSJ generic ballot poll out tonight, this hurricane has now increased to a Category Four:

Among likely voters, Republicans hold a 50% to 43% edge, up from a three-percentage-point lead a month ago. And in the 92 House districts considered most competitive, the GOP’s lead is 20 points

“It’s hard to say Democrats are facing anything less than a category four hurricane,” said Peter Hart, the Democratic pollster who conducts the Journal poll with Republican pollster Bill McInturff. “And it’s unlikely the Democratic House will be left standing.”…

The Republican edge in intensity of support, after falling from a 19-point lead in August to a 14-point lead in September, is now at 20 percentage points.

“After seven weeks of a powerful counteroffensive, the dynamics haven’t changed,” Mr. McInturff said of Democratic efforts to diminish GOP momentum.

Does Hart know that there’s such a thing as a Category Five ‘cane? If so, electorally speaking, what would that look like? A 20-point lead in enthusiasm and in battleground districts is pretty much the apocalypse, no?

Exit question: I’m calling for predictions right now. Will Bielat take this seat?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

CAN YOU FEEL IT???

bilups on October 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Oh, I will laugh SO bloody hard if fat boy here goes down on election night.

[yes, I know what I just wrote, but that was not an intentional double entendre.]

Vyce on October 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Da Tech Guy is from Massachusetts, and he says the GOP will win at least 3 seats there — at least 3 seats — and Bielat beating Barney is one of them.

BTW, John Tierney’s wife pleaded guilty to money-laundering. Bill Hudak is the Republican running against Mr. Married to the Mob. Hudak’s having a money bomb.

Just sayin’ . . .

The Other McCain on October 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM

Any individual willing to fork over that kind of bread to keep his power is an individual in office for too long.

Dump this piece of garbage.

rickyricardo on October 19, 2010 at 11:18 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

A big ole’ heaping of revenge, a dish best served cold.

TxAnn56 on October 19, 2010 at 11:18 PM

The Senate situation doesn’t look so hot.

The House looks amazing……and that’s where the money comes from…..excellent.

rickyricardo on October 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I don’t care what anyone says…the only safe dems are in deeply minority (read black) districts.
Barney is in trouble, Coons is not as safe as everyone thinks.
Every seat is in play.
The Republicans have money, but not enough to spread it around to this extent. They are used to target marketing, nothing like this has ever happened before.

right2bright on October 19, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I’m not serving Barney’s Frankfurter to any Jim that’s Ready

swamp_yankee on October 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Barney going down, you can count on it…and he also might lose the election…

right2bright on October 19, 2010 at 11:23 PM

Will Bielat take this seat?

God bless me, I think he will.

disa on October 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

The dirty secret about “lending yourself campaign money” is you can set the interest rate to pay yourself and then continue to solicit donations to pay off campaign debts. Ed had a item here about it.

gooddad on October 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Is it possible that we end up taking over 100 seats?
Oh my…that would be unbelievable…
The bad news is Halloween will have passed and there won’t be any need for an Elmer Fudd…

right2bright on October 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Seriously? I declare shenanigans. Frank has too much power over the financial sector for that to be the sum total of his assets after being in Congress since the Harding administration. One and a half million is ridiculously low–there are traders fresh out of school making that much a year! The big Wall Street firms would happily bribe him that much just for a peek at his appointment calendar. To get him to schedule hearings against a competitor, they’d pay ten or a hundred times more. And with that kind of money at stake, they’d figure out a loophole to get him the cash without getting caught breaking any laws.

So I’m supposed to believe that a man who ran a freaking brothel out of his basement is incorruptible? No. Hell no. Frank has access to a lot more wealth than that. Either the bulk of his money is in offshore accounts, or the bribes are funneled through the boyfriend. Most likely it’s both.

Fabozz on October 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM

gooddad on October 19, 2010 at 11:24 PM

One last scam to tide him over while he looks for a real job?

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Cat 5. It’s about time the Rats got their Katrina.

C’mon Barney- all in! Mortgage and all! I want you on a fixed income (and not a Harry Reid fixed income) in your soon to be retirement.

Bigger picture- How’d you like to be Tim Kaine right about now?

2ipa on October 19, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Bawney Fwank wins in 2010 by 1% (plus a slap & a tickle), but loses to Bielat in 2012 by 10%.

OhioCoastie on October 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Oil up that Humpbot, Allah.

princetrumpet on October 19, 2010 at 11:33 PM

$200k, did that come from his current “S.O.” pot growing operation or did it come from his former “S.O.” prostitution ring or did it come from Fannie Mae or did it come from Freddie Mac or has he foresaken gerbils?

Gohawgs on October 19, 2010 at 11:41 PM

Message from Ace Ventura:

Blue Collar Todd on October 19, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I wonder how fast BF lovers will bolt after he’s no longer a big deal in DC. He probably knows he’s toast once he’s out of Congress so he’s clinging to his “guns” and “religion”.

Mojave Mark on October 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Barney is finally “rolling the dice one more time”, only now he’s using his own money.

Karma baby!

GarandFan on October 19, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Congressman Bielat, Congressman Loller

I like hearing that. Say it again.

Those are my Big Two House Races that I’m rooting for this season…. victory would be just so, so sweet.

Anyone else think the polls might all be a little off because they’re using turnout models from years that don’t begin to bear a resemblance to this year? I can’t help feeling that even Scotty Rasmussen might be off.

I suppose I only have to wait a couple of weeks to find out!

Animator Girl on October 19, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Fabozz on October 19, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I instantly thought the same thing, how on earth can one of the most powerful (economically) men in government be worth so little.
Like you said, a peek at his monthly calendar is worth millions…a “call” to a competitor is worth millions…a forecast disclosed is worth millions…an investigation, priceless.
I bet this guy is worth tens of millions…there is no way his assets are max at 1.5 mil plus his house.
Chump change, if he saved just 10% of his pay he would have double that.

right2bright on October 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I thought Dems claim this range is way more than than what a “rich” person makes. TAX the HELL out of him.

leftnomore on October 20, 2010 at 12:03 AM

Frank will get his wish, “I think I should be abolished”.

WoosterOh on October 20, 2010 at 12:06 AM

Would somebody please explain to me what Ace and pudding cups have in common? I know it must be good, but I don’t know where or how it started. Thanks.

gloworm on October 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM

gloworm on October 20, 2010 at 12:24 AM

It means dipping your “private parts” in Pudding. Male or Female if you get my drift.

sandee on October 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I live in Brookline, MA and I never hear anything about this race, I only hear about it here on Hotair.

Chudi on October 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Chudi on October 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM

I commented on that earlier. I like Sean, but because it is Barney Frank this race has gotten inordinate amount of attention. There is no question that Frank has the toughest race in his life, but I’m from Fall River and New Bedford and I fear he isn’t making inroads like some think. And Sean is actually from Brookline. No one knows him down here. I’d like to see activists double down on Perry and get more involved in the 5th and 6th. I think Golnik is the real sleeper, but he needs cash.

swamp_yankee on October 20, 2010 at 12:39 AM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I’m thinking lots of grilled red meat!

hawkdriver on October 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM

Maybe he’s just playing it safe

Don’t think so. Barney has been in congress approx. 30 years, someone of his stature would normally raise enough campaign money to share with his party members. Looks like he came up short this time. Maybe he can get a loan from Maxine Waters bank??

TN Mom on October 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM

My opinion (FWIW): we’ll take the House and the Senate and many “safe” seats will fall in the red tidal wave.
powerpro on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Cool, then can we say “Impeach”?

Who is John Galt on October 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Cool, then can we say “Impeach”?

Who is John Galt on October 20, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Not until we see him announce on live television that the Constitution is suspended and that he’s installing himself as leader forever.

Anything short of this would be seen as being racist and mean to “the first Black president.”

powerpro on October 20, 2010 at 12:58 AM

Oh…don’t think I’ll be doing that.

gloworm on October 20, 2010 at 1:08 AM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?
publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Revenge.

Chuck Schick on October 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM

Man oh man! IF Frank goes down (poor choice..perhaps I should re-phrase).
IF Frank blows it…(umm…let me try again..)
IF Frank gets his butt..(no..definitely not..)
IF Frank gets creamed…(OH goodness no! )

Ahh heck, If Bielat WINS, I will have to take some vacation time because I will have drank enough celebration wine to put me in a coma for a week!

REMEMBER NOVEMBER!!!

Handel on October 20, 2010 at 1:39 AM

Barney is a scrooge. Remember him blowing his top a few months ago over s couple of bucks, when the cashier for the ferry to Provincetown refused to give his companion a senior discount. So he might just be loaning his campaign $200,000 at 15% interest, to be repaid later by campaign contribution funds. A money move in this low investment return climate.

bayview on October 20, 2010 at 1:51 AM

A politician lending to a campaign is not “desperation”, it is a racket.

Say I am a politician. I “lend” my campaign 100,000 at some outrageous interest rate, 10% or more is quite common. The campaign “pays” me interest only. People donate to the campaign, the campaign pays me interest on the loan. After the campaign is long over, I continue holding fundraisers and continue paying myself interest until mine is the last debt and only then do I begin to pay myself the capital back. When all is said and done, I have made a handsome sum by lending money to my campaign.

Some politicians are masters at this. Maxine Waters is one. She probably makes more money from interest off her campaign loans than she makes from her Congressional salary. Hillary Clinton is another that makes a lot of money from her loans to her campaigns. You can even still donate to her campaign from 2008:

Lending your campaign money is simply a way to divert political contributions into your own pocket.

crosspatch on October 20, 2010 at 1:59 AM

NOTE: It should be against the law for a campaign to accept a loan. You should be able to finance your own campaign, sure, you should be able to donate all you want to your own campaign, but you should not be able to lend it. At least not with interest.

crosspatch on October 20, 2010 at 2:04 AM

Two weeks to go, anything can happen. Barring some unforeseen disaster from Bielat or his staff, yes, I do see him winning.

ButterflyDragon on October 20, 2010 at 2:27 AM

I call for full disclosure of how Franks acquired these funds…….
……I highly suspect that he may be funded by growing and selling Marijuana along with running prostitution from his house.

….it is his responsibility to prove this wrong.

Baxter Greene on October 20, 2010 at 2:34 AM

Go out and have a Fwing Banking Queen

Pole-Cat on October 20, 2010 at 2:42 AM

Well that’s just great for Ma. But here in Wa where voting has started all the polls look horrible for Rossi.

I am so outraged that Murrary could possibly be back in the Senate. She is such a liar! How can the West part of this state be so very stupid!

petunia on October 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM

I will never forget staying up all night watching election results back in 1994. In that election the then speaker of the house Tom Foley (D-WA) was voted out of office. I don’t think it will happen this time but it sure would be sweet to say good buy to Pelosi. At least the current Senate Majority leader will be packing, buy Reid. The build up to this coming election seems way more intense and (fingers crossed) it will be a catagory 5. Come to think of it the ‘Contract with America’ gave a blue print for the first 100 days for the new congress. Aside from the ‘Pledge to America’ I have not heard what the current elected GOP wants to do for their first 100 days. Don’t want to put the cart before the horse, but it sure would be nice to know what the new GOP congress will have on its agenda.

lwssdd on October 20, 2010 at 2:49 AM

How many seats do we have to win before we can really treat him like a dog?

right2bright on October 20, 2010 at 3:17 AM

ok I’m raising my prediction. I was calling for 100 seats to change hands. Now I think every democratic seat in the country is up for graps if they have aGOP running against them.

unseen on October 20, 2010 at 3:49 AM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?
publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Slurpees

tpitman on October 20, 2010 at 5:31 AM

I’m sure part of his problem is all the big Dem donors already gave all they could before they realized he was even in trouble.

Getting rid of Frank would be a huge victory – for America.

Adjoran on October 20, 2010 at 5:49 AM

Boston University is a part of Barney’s district, which is one big reason why it is a Democrat district. If the students stay home on Nov. 2nd, Barney loses.

Done That on October 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Bawny is not a rich guy?—What tree did you fall out of?He is only worth .5to 1.5 mil?That’s recordable,what did he collect from his urecordable income producers?Give me a freaking break.
How did he record the income from the gay prostitution or the home-grown pot?

DDT on October 20, 2010 at 6:29 AM

Chudi on October 20, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Tune in to Howie Carr on Wrko. you can stream it From 3 every day. He often talks about it.

Barney is probably going to lose. He certainly thinks so…

dogsoldier on October 20, 2010 at 6:45 AM

What is the poll telling him to put his own money into the pot?

Pretty simple.

The money poll.

His campaign isn’t getting enough to defend itself. If it was getting the money he wouldn’t need to put it in… and that tells us exactly how Desperate he is. It is now the time for the Desperate Party to show its true colors and it won’t be pretty.

ajacksonian on October 20, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Banking Queen On The Ropes?!

SuperCool on October 20, 2010 at 7:03 AM

Where’s my slurpee?????

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I have never had a slurpee before, but if Bwarney gets tossed, I will have to get one. Here’s to brain freeze!

bookman on October 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

I hope that the Seven Elevens across the nation are ready for the Slurpee Surge on November 2!

DrStock on October 20, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Done That on October 20, 2010 at 6:21 AM

Didn’t he insult some student at a townhall last year and it went viral on youtube. Students may not be so certain to vote for him this go around.

txmomof6 on October 20, 2010 at 7:50 AM

When asked to comment about his situation in the current race, Frank replied, “Wepowts of me twaiwing my chawenger aw wedicuwous!”

TugboatPhil on October 20, 2010 at 7:59 AM

How many of you smug, high-fiving posters will be so busy celebrating on November 3rd that you will forget to vote?

Stop posting and blogging, and get to work at the phone banks, spreading flyers, ringing doorbells, and driving shut-ins to the polls to vote. This will be a huge disappointment if you sit here all day patting each other on the back.

FalseProfit on October 20, 2010 at 8:23 AM

It occurs t me that if Frank is of limited means and yet loaned himself money, he must be fairly certain it will get paid back. I wonder what he is going to have to deliver in order to get his 200k back?

The Opinionator on October 20, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Well…he did outraise Frank.

ApartforHaShem on October 20, 2010 at 8:47 AM

As I’ve heard said: Barney had his Frank in Freddie’s Fannie. He lived with an officer of Fannie Mae. He defended the CRA that brought on this mess right up until the collapse happened.

I hope he bankrupts himself while futilely clinging to power.

theCork on October 20, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I live in Frank’s district here in MA. He’s in for a tough fight. Even at the state level, the longtime sitting Dem incumbents are getting hammered. Yard signage for Republican challengers is astounding in this traditional bedrock Dem district.

My prediction, even with the Brown factor, is Frank actually has to campaign for the first time in decades but unfortunately dodges a bullet here.

Alden Pyle on October 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Go Bwany Go!

Around the bowl and down the hole!

belad on October 20, 2010 at 9:52 AM

If Barney Frank gets defeated, that WILL be the cherry on the ice cream sundae (asteroid strike) that’s coming on NO-vember 2nd…

Khun Joe on October 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Sent Bielat $50. You have no idea how good that felt…

Realist on October 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Nov 3 will be such an incredible day if Frank is out. I don’t know that it will happen, but I like to dream.

I hate to generalize about gays, but Frank is not like the typical gays I know. Most gays dress nice, Frank wears a cheap suit(or maybe a nice suit cheaply worn?) his shirt never fits right and his tie always looks like he can’t tie it himself. He typically looks like a stock broker after the market closed in the worst loss in history. He looks sweaty and confused.

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.

jeffn21 on October 20, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Just heard Barney’s latest radio ad.

He’s not running against Bielat. He’s running against BUSH

Del Dolemonte on October 20, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Tough call.
Barney doesn’t give his seat to just anyone.

mrt721 on October 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM

petunia on October 20, 2010 at 2:46 AM

Hey now petunia, don’t say that. I just got my ballot yesterday in the mail. Voting has just started :) lets have some hope (eww let me change that) lets be optimistic! I think Rossi is going to win if they don’t cheat in King County this time.

nwpammy on October 20, 2010 at 11:23 AM

BFrank must not have been as successful as the lawyer Reid, however, he didn’t have 5 kids to put through 100 semesters of college, either. Mozilla didn’t take very good care of him now, did he.

Kissmygrits on October 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Intrade today: 52% think BF goes down flaming.

roy_batty on October 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Dumping her own money into her Presidential campaign helped Hillary out a bunch too didn’t it? LOL!

44Magnum on October 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Alden Pyle on October 20, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I’m in the 9th and I’ve never seen so many Republican signs for statewide office before. I don’t share your pessimism though. I feel same way about Bielat as the way I felt about Brown leading up to it –

THIS CAN HAPPEN!

Do not underestimate the level of loathing that BF has built up over the years and how that will translate on 11/2! I can’t vote against BF but just donated -

GO SEAN GO!

roy_batty on October 20, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Only 1.5 mil as assets…where do you think he is hiding his money?
That should throw a few people off lunch…

right2bright on October 20, 2010 at 12:11 PM

On the positive side for Bawney, he can now join the Marines.

MikeA on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

FTW

theCork on October 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM

right2bright on October 20, 2010 at 3:17 AM

One should always be kind to animals, especially dogs.

Dishonest politicians deserve everything communicated by Exeter to the Dauphin.

dogsoldier on October 20, 2010 at 12:58 PM

It is hard but not impossible to depose the Queen of the Gays. He carries the smell of Fannie Mae

However, I am still musing his lack of assets (finacial). His former boyfriend/’spouse’ Moses earned millions at Fannie Mae. Barney could have lived off the crumbs

Frank must give a lot to charity

I have a hard time watching Barney emote. His mouth makes me think of a sea lamphrey

entagor on October 20, 2010 at 1:02 PM

“Conquest is easy. Control is not.”

Mutnodjmet on October 20, 2010 at 1:07 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Roosted Chicken?

BobMbx on October 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Ooooooh.. If he does, he needs to have it washed.

Squiggy on October 20, 2010 at 2:19 PM

44Magnum on October 20, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Very possibly it did. My guess would be that her campaign fund is still paying her monthly interest on that money at rates several times higher than a bank would give her.

crosspatch on October 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Tough call.
Barney doesn’t give his seat to just anyone.

mrt721 on October 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM

OH NO YOU DIDN’T!! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

44Magnum on October 20, 2010 at 2:55 PM

crosspatch on October 20, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Didn’t help her get elected did it?
No real need to answer that one.

44Magnum on October 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM

How did he record the income from the gay prostitution or the home-grown pot?

DDT on October 20, 2010 at 6:29 AM

We’re talking Congressional standards here as well as total assets, NOT net worth. According to Politico, there are about 237 millionaires within Congress and that doesn’t include the value of their primary residences.

H@ll, Biden was only worth about $27K before he became VP and he was the exception rather than the rule.

teke184 on October 20, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Will Bielat take this seat?

Yes, the people of his district are tired of having such an a$$-hat in that seat.

chickasaw42 on October 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM

How many seats do we have to win before we can really treat him like a dog?

right2bright on October 20, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Bad idea. Put a dog collar and leash on him? Bawney would pwobably wike that.

realitycheck on October 20, 2010 at 5:02 PM

If Frank loses re-election, look for him to practice scorched earth acts of defiance on the way out the door. Should he manage to retain his seat, watch for unbridled acts of arrogance during the lame duck session of Congress and beyond.

The fact that we can see the fear in the whites of his eyes this close to Election Day is a moral victory alone. If the voters of his district can return him to private life in 2011, a grateful nation will be eternally appreciative.

Should it be against the law to loan yourself money into your own campaign? Of course not – it’s all about the First Amendment folks. As long as there is instant disclosure, one shold be able to contribute as much as they like.

Bielat wins the seat, and it will be a close one. After all, this is the same district that kept Frank in Congress all these years, after all.

itzWicks on October 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

This guy is a bone head, how long does he thing he can keep this up…I am pretty sure he is going to blow this, and he will soon be exiting through the back door…
Here is a tip: When debating Barney, insist that both hands are visible and on the podium at all times.

right2bright on October 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM

It is time for Barney Frank to be retired. Can we retire the gay jokes? ………..yes, I am gay.

SC.Charlie on October 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I sent some of my hard earned cash to Bielat. First time in my life I have ever contributed to a political campaign, and I’m nowhere near Massachusetts.

Frank simply must go.

Metro on October 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM

Best argument for term limits, ever!

flataffect on October 20, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Question:

Where does a congressman get this kind of cash?

SC.Charlie on October 20, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Yes, we can put the gay jokes behind them……………….Ok, one last one.

dthorny on October 21, 2010 at 12:24 AM

What the hell happened to Bawnys teeth? Just wondering…

tbear44 on October 21, 2010 at 4:52 AM

itzWicks on October 20, 2010 at 5:03 PM

True, but since Scott Brown won here something is up in MA.

Not every spouse takes the beating forever.

roy_batty on October 21, 2010 at 8:30 AM