Desperation: Barney Frank lent campaign $200,000 in third quarter

posted at 10:12 pm on October 19, 2010 by Allahpundit

As much as I like Bielat, not until this very moment did I think this seat might really be in play.

Frank isn’t a tremendously wealthy guy. What on earth are his internal polls showing him to make him cough up 200 grand?

Longtime Massachusetts Rep. Barney Frank has given his re-election campaign $200,000 as he faces his toughest race in years.

A campaign finance report filed Tuesday showed that Frank, the chairman of the powerful House Financial Services committee, lent himself the money Tuesday…

A longtime public servant, Frank isn’t exactly a rich man. Financial disclosures filed with the House show he has assets between $560,000 and $1.5 million. He is not required to disclose the worth of his primary residence.

Maybe he’s just playing it safe. According to the new WSJ generic ballot poll out tonight, this hurricane has now increased to a Category Four:

Among likely voters, Republicans hold a 50% to 43% edge, up from a three-percentage-point lead a month ago. And in the 92 House districts considered most competitive, the GOP’s lead is 20 points

“It’s hard to say Democrats are facing anything less than a category four hurricane,” said Peter Hart, the Democratic pollster who conducts the Journal poll with Republican pollster Bill McInturff. “And it’s unlikely the Democratic House will be left standing.”…

The Republican edge in intensity of support, after falling from a 19-point lead in August to a 14-point lead in September, is now at 20 percentage points.

“After seven weeks of a powerful counteroffensive, the dynamics haven’t changed,” Mr. McInturff said of Democratic efforts to diminish GOP momentum.

Does Hart know that there’s such a thing as a Category Five ‘cane? If so, electorally speaking, what would that look like? A 20-point lead in enthusiasm and in battleground districts is pretty much the apocalypse, no?

Exit question: I’m calling for predictions right now. Will Bielat take this seat?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Frank isn’t exactly a rich man.

I guess the heckilling boy toys are pricey these days….who knew?

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:14 PM

I’m beginning to believe …

Ed Morrissey on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I am not good at predictions but I can guarantee that Ace is going to be downright giddy.

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I BEEEEEELIEEEEVE!

Defector01 on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Despewation for Bawney.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Bielat takes it by a margin of not greater than Scotty B’s margin for that same district.

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Will Bielat take this seat?

From your mouth to God’s ear. Frank and Dodd bear responsibility for the mortgage and housing debacle.

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I’m calling for predictions right now. Will Bielat take this seat?

Yes he will. If Bielat wins, I won’t make an “AP can’t get a date joke for a month week day few hours.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Great ad.

The Mega Independent on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Frank isn’t exactly a rich man.

FIFY.

HornetSting on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Who do you PLAY FOR?!????

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

I can’t listen to Bawney talk without thinking about Rush L.

txag92 on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Still have trouble grasping that Barney could lose the seat. I’ll believe it when and if I see it. The area B. represents has, to put it as kindly as possible, been known to finagle on the vote tallying front.

jeanie on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

On the positive side for Bawney, he can now join the Marines.

MikeA on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

If any significant combination of Boxer, Reid, Grayson and Frank go down (I’m sure I’m forgetting a few), there really will not be enough pudding in the world.

The Mega Independent on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Frank isn’t exactly a rich man.

FIFY.

HornetSting on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Fixed further.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

I sure as hell hope Barney’s Frank is tossed.

clement on October 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Great ad.

The Mega Independent on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Yep. I’m so glad someone is finally calling this bastard on his role in the economic mess we are in.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:19 PM

Might also explain why Barney’s spouse was worked up to the point to stage that confrontation with Bielat two days ago. Giving your opponent a ready-made campaign video in an election for a supposedly fairly safe seat doesn’t make much sense unless at least part of Team Barney is in the first stages of panic mode.

jon1979 on October 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I’m beginning to believe …

Ed Morrissey on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Alright!! Knew you’d come around, now smack some sense into Eeyore will ya?

abobo on October 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Oh please oh pleaseohpleaseohPLEASE God put Bawney in the unemployment line.

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

In a sane world yes! Is Massatoochits a sane world?

dhunter on October 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Gracelynn on October 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Will we get another Brown like win!

Ugh, that sound too dirty.

It depends on how much of Bawney’s constituents were ought up in the mortgage scandal. If his district is hurting, then maybe its in the hole.

So to speak.

Kini on October 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Glad to see he’s getting that Fannie Mae kickback money back in circulation.

ncborn on October 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Remember, in 2008, McCain only called out Barney once for the debacle and he had to vomit it out (practically under durress) and never mentioned it again. If McCain had gone balls to the wall on what really happened, he could have won. But, nope.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Ed came out onto the thread
THERE IS HOPE

blatantblue on October 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Alright AP, your eeyorishness handicapped Scotty B in your final prediction for his race and you put him losing to Martina, er Marsha by 2pts IIRC… and he ended up winning by a sizable %?… what’s your prediction?

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Just play the 2006-ish youtube videos.

“Everything is fine” FannieMae and FreddieMac are fine.”

One election, sewed up.

WitchDoctor on October 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Humpbot, Flaming Skulls, and Great Merciful Zeus!

Mutnodjmet on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:16 PM

What the heck, gotta sleep sometime.

On the positive side for Bawney, he can now join the Marines.

MikeA on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Or the Navy… he joins, Eric Massa can rejoin, and they can give training in snorkeling or something.

malclave on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I believe a lot of people that usually would be presumed safe in the old normal will fall.

And I believe we’ll see a Congressman Bielat, Congressman Loller, Congressman Faulkner and yes…perhaps even a Congressman Popaditch.

I’ve heard several people suggest the possibility that the polling might be completely off because they’re starting with a premise that doesn’t take into account the real intensity of the season.

My opinion (FWIW): we’ll take the House and the Senate and many “safe” seats will fall in the red tidal wave.

And Chris Matthews will feel another tingle down his leg…but this time it will be due to his peeing his pants.

powerpro on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I’m beginning to believe …
Ed Morrissey on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I’m not. Not yet. Check back in a week…

joejm65 on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hey, I wonder if Barney is the guy to whom Ace was referring the other day – he’d gotten a tip that someone the Dems thought was safe was WAY underwater in the polls.

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Crazy.

I’m from MA-4. I have to say that I think this seat is the fourth, maybe fifth, most competitive seat in the state.

There is a theory that many seats are in play that no one knows because they are not being polled and everyone assumes they are solid D. Frank, Dingel, Kucinich… are proving this true.

Watch Mass results early. Jeff Perry should win. I have Jon Golnik ranked two. Bill Hudak three. Bielat and Lamb after those three.

swamp_yankee on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Anybody else think of the film “Dog Day Afternoon” when watching that ad with the words in the background song? “Kiss me once again….kiss me….kiss me once again….” Well, you had to have seen it.

Marcus on October 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

A pretty good indicator of how hard up for cash the Dems are these days. You’d think they’d be able to spring a little help for Barney. Maybe THEY don’t like him, either!

GoldenEagle4444 on October 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Will Japan hold Manila in 46′?

Limerick on October 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

oooh yea, I remember that too. You just might be right and I thought the exact same thing… I’m seeing a pattern. Tips and dips into the personal boy toy account have me thinkin’ that Barney is sinkin’…

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

That’s an awesome ad. Gah, this would be like the extra cherry on a hot fudge sundae. Seriously!

And the WSJ poll, that’s huge, since their poll generally leans majorly in the direction of the Dems. I guess they have to get correct for the actual election, not just influencing opinion now.

lizzie beth on October 19, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Will Bielat take this seat?

Like candy from a baby.

My collie says:

You betcha’.

CyberCipher on October 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Cindy Munford on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Get the pudding!!!!!

Do you believe in magic………….or at least fairy dust????

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I think it referred to Hoyer’s seat. But the RNC wasn’t giving out the name.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Frank isn’t exactly a rich man.

FIFY.

HornetSting on October 19, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Fixed further.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Final fix.

katy on October 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

If you’re pissed over the BAILOUTS, then vote BIELAT!

ardenenoch on October 19, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Well Allah was right about Scott Brown right??

…Oh Wait!!!

LOL it’s okay Allah, your eyoreness keeps us grounded and only makes us happier when we pull out a miracle.

I believe that Harry Reid AND Barney Frank will be bumming a ride home on Nov 2!

Cookies Mom on October 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Massachusetts?

Yes, he will win and so will O’Donnell.

Red wave incoming!

sharrukin on October 19, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Humpbot, Flaming Skulls, and Great Merciful Zeus!

Mutnodjmet on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

And, for Bawney and his boytoy….melting bunny.

HornetSting on October 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

Exit answer: Jeez, I hope so. Frank-n-furter has to go.

mr.blacksheep on October 19, 2010 at 10:29 PM

I think it referred to Hoyer’s seat. But the RNC wasn’t giving out the name.

lorien1973 on October 19, 2010 at 10:26 PM

dude! could you imagine. Both hoyer and frank getting kicked to the curb on the same day? sweet!

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Barney Frank is to America…what Frank Burns was to MASH.

BruthaMan on October 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM

I got into an argument with someone yesterday who said elections don’t matter. I think my stock reply to that apathy from now on is going to be that if the elections don’t matter, why on earth do Dems and the media (but I repeat myself) lie, cheat, and steal to win them?

Christmas is coming early this year… on November 2.

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:30 PM

Yes AP. It is Bielat race to lose at this point. I do believe that our dear Banking Queen just go handed his walking papers.

hawkman on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Nope.

That referred to Lincoln Davis (Dummy-TN) per an update by Campaign Spot:

UPDATE: The poll is revealed, so my source says to put it out there. Scott DesJarlais has a five-point lead over Lincoln Davis (D., Tenn.), but 21 points among the highest-interest voters.

The Bottom Line

Congressman Lincoln Davis’ negative attacks appear to be backfiring. Over the last two weeks, Davis’ image has taken a hit and his ballot support continues to dwindle, falling to 40% now. More importantly, Scott DesJarlais now leads on the ballot and has the clear momentum with just 18 days to go.

Key Findings

Scott DesJarlais has taken the lead over Congressman Lincoln Davis. After pulling even two weeks ago, DesJarlais has surged ahead to take a five-point lead (now: 45% DesJarlais – 40% Davis / Sept 27-28: 42% – 42%). For the third consecutive survey, Davis’ ballot support has dropped (from 45% in August to 42% in September to 40% now).

1. At the same time, voters are starting to solidify around DesJarlais. His definite vote support has steadily increased from 26% in August to 29% in September to 37% now. (Davis’ definite support is stuck at 27%).

2. Moreover, DesJarlais has a commanding 21-point lead over Davis (55% – 34%) among voters who rate their interest level as “high” (8-10 on a one-to-ten scale).

Davis is a four-term incumbent who won 59 percent in 2008 and 66 percent in 2006.

powerpro on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

That money must have been left over from that lucrative little business Barney’s ex-whatever had going out of the house.

kingsjester on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Where’s my slurpee?????

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I can’t wait to cast my vote…

d1carter on October 19, 2010 at 10:32 PM

powerpro on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Oh well, a girl can dream…

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

kingsjester on October 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM

ain’t it just ironic that Barney is such a fan of something named “Fannie” and “Freddie?” I dunno what made me think of that but…jus sayin.

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

Oh well, a girl can dream…

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I still say Frank will fall though. :)

powerpro on October 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Ooh Ooh! I know I know! this is too easy—-The Rent….IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:35 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Midnight, November 2, at the A&P Supermarket:

“Atttention! Clean up on the Pudding aisle!”

Yeah, Sean is going to kick Bawney’s butt.

Timothy S. Carlson on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Coons?

dhunter on October 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Of all the people besides Franken I would love to see lose their Congressional seat, I do believe Frank is at or near the top of the list for his FF criminal involvement.

Make it so, Bielat.

Bishop on October 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:33 PM

No images this late at night, Ted. Puhleeeze!

kingsjester on October 19, 2010 at 10:37 PM

Yes, Bielat will take the open seat. Honestly, it may not even be that close. He’s got all the momentum right now and voter enthusiasm is off the charts as we have seen.

Bielat by 5. Sounds crazy, but that’s my prediction.

CliffHanger on October 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Anyone else so jazzed about voting that they are considering camping out in front of the voting booth starting tomorrow? I’ll bring the smores supplies, you bring a guitar.

Bishop on October 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I believe it’s the best shot we’re ever going to get. I gave to Bielat because I think there is a chance. I want to believe!

stldave on October 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Great ad, btw…

CliffHanger on October 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Frank needs to be prosecuted once he is voted out.

Hening on October 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM

there’s two predictions.. make your prediction and the margin of victory or loss.

ted c on October 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Frank’s district voted for Scott Brown. The bluest of blue states handed over Teddy K’s old seat to a republican.
You can’t ignore that.

NeoKong on October 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

For Bawney~Vienna Sausages.

HornetSting on October 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Bishop on October 19, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I’ll bring my guitar. After all, I’m the jester. Ceck out my blog. I’ve got a picture in front of the Tea Party Express Bus.

kingsjester on October 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM

No, because every poll PPP has put out this past week has said the democrats are surging.

But really…

I say Bielet has a 42% chance of winning.

SouthernGent on October 19, 2010 at 10:44 PM

$200,000 dollars. That’s a lot of tricks in the ole basement brothel.

Hummer53 on October 19, 2010 at 10:45 PM

Destiny is calling…

Who else will be laughing like that if Frank goes down?

Blue Collar Todd on October 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM

According to a post by Geraghty earlier today, Bielat’s own interanl polls show him trailing Frank by 10. I can’t help but feel that this is just too good to be true, but with this and everything else I’ve been hearing, I won’t be shocked if Frank does actually lose.

djm1992 on October 19, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I’ll take all the humble pie y’all want to toss my way in November but you’re nutz. You act like the Patriots are a sure bet for the SuperBowl.

Limerick on October 19, 2010 at 10:49 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Chocolate/Vanilla swirl…..

The Mega Independent on October 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM

jon1979 on October 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

A defeated Bannie will be grumpy, with those icky investigations and such. The meal ticket is in jeopardy.

djm1992 on October 19, 2010 at 10:47 PM

Lie to the pollsters or don’t answer their calls.
I believe in miracles. If Mass removes a rat-(D) before he croaks…

Feedie on October 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM

Greg says the jig is up and Barney Frank is now going to win in every state.

Whoops, wrong blog.

The Mega Independent on October 19, 2010 at 10:53 PM

J.C. Adams, who quit the DOJ over the dropping of the Black Panther voting violation case, made note of the fact that Jennifer Fernandez of the DOJ declared that the DOJ would not accept suits regarding illegal voting practices such as illegal aliens, dead people or Acorn idiots voting multiple times.
Be prepared to see plenty of this in the coming election. This is the real danger point.

FactsofLife on October 19, 2010 at 10:54 PM

jon1979 on October 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I’m thinking the “spouse” isn’t too thrilled about staying with Barney once the job perks are history, he’ll probably have to leave for greener pastures.

Bishop on October 19, 2010 at 10:55 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Pepto Bismol, Rolaids, and Tums. lol Alka Seltzer cocktails.

I don’t know if I can even watch. I may just avoid it , if I can, and get sleep…then get it all the next morning. I’m not sure I can take it all in on a Tuesday night. I’m a whimp. *shrugs*

capejasmine on October 19, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I did my early voting thing here in NC yesterday (go Ellmers!). I have never had a slurpee before, but if Bwarney gets tossed, I will have to get one. Here’s to brain freeze!

bookman on October 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Red Velvet Cake!

txhsmom on October 19, 2010 at 10:58 PM

What’s that smell?

It’s the smell of flop sweat.

And fear.

SlaveDog on October 19, 2010 at 10:59 PM

This is why I believe.
Glenn Beck show the day after health care passed. “We’re gonna KICK YOUR A$$” !!!!

katy on October 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

What’s everyone serving for their parties on Nov. 2?

publiuspen on October 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM

Circle ‘D’ Barbeque.

SlaveDog on October 19, 2010 at 11:00 PM

You can’t ignore that.

NeoKong on October 19, 2010 at 10:43 PM

AND he was supposed to be 41 to stop ObamaCare. Then Barney and crew rammed it down the country’s throat. The voters in that district who tried to send a message via Scott Brown may just want to ram that vote right back at Barney. Just sayin.

txmomof6 on October 19, 2010 at 11:01 PM

I’m beginning to believe …

Ed Morrissey on October 19, 2010 at 10:15 PM

..more importantly, Ed, so are the Democrats. And it is scaring the crap out of them.

“Madame Speaker, tear down these firewalls!”

The War Planner on October 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I beleive that one of the main stars of Burning Down the House can and will lose his seat if there is justice in the world… Mass liberal doesn’t mean Mass idiot…I hope…

CCRWM on October 19, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Don’t blame Barney, every knows people are hard-wired to stupid things when overcome by fear.

pedestrian on October 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Barney Frank ousted would be the bow on a Republican majority gift!

The Expert Knows

HotAirExpert on October 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

But in the 92 House districts considered most competitive, the GOP’s lead among registered voters is 14 points, underscoring the Democrats’ challenge in maintaining their hold on the House.

this has got to be a joke, right? dis-information from Soros to get us totally wiped out after the election?

I. Want. To. Believe.

r keller on October 19, 2010 at 11:06 PM

I wish Bielat could have included that “Roll the dice” on affordable mortgages comment by Frank. Was there not vid of it; was it just a press quote? Am I imagining that Frank said it?

Dusty on October 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

As for the exit question, I don’t know if Bielat will win but if he does, I’ll put the total GOP gain at 110+.

Dusty on October 19, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Laura Curtis on October 19, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I think Ace had linked it over to Jim Geraghty (NRO) who revealed the answer the other day:

TxAnn56 on October 19, 2010 at 11:11 PM