Tea Party candidates getting massive cash infusion from small donors

posted at 1:36 pm on October 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Surprisingly, almost none of them appear to be the foreigners about whom Barack Obama keeps warning us:

When it comes to Tea Party candidates — small donors are emerging as a major force. Their contributions — $200 or less — are arriving in mass numbers.

“The small donor trend for Tea Partiers is unprecedented,” says Sheila Krumholz of the Center for Responsive Politics. Her group analyzed the most recent campaign donation numbers available from the Federal Elections Commission. …

Typically, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, Senate candidates get no more than 20 percent of their funds from small donors. But the latest numbers available from the Federal Elections Commission for some Tea Party favorites show much higher stats.

As of the second quarter, small donors filled about one-third of the campaign chests of Pennsylvania’s Pat Toomey (30 percent, $3 million) and Florida’s Marco Rubio (36 percent, $4.6 million). They accounted for nearly half of the funds for Delaware’s Christine O’Donnell (45 percent, $119,000) and Kentucky’s Rand Paul (46 percent, $1.6 million). And they made up more than half of the early donations given to Alaska’s Joe Miller (51 percent, $144,000) and Nevada’s Sharron Angle (58 percent $2.05 million).

This appears to negate the notion that the Tea Party is a corporate-driven movement.  This shows that the Tea Party is a true grassroots movement, one with a significant amount of power.  In fact, what is most interesting is the early support given to these candidates by small donors in races where establishment candidates had more ability to tap into establishment sources of funding, including Angle, Miller, Rubio, and Paul.  Tea Party support trumped establishment and corporate influence, rather than masking it.

The Tea Party didn’t get these candidates into position for victory on their own, of course.  As CBS News reports, the Club for Growth played a big role as well, and should be commended for their efforts.  However, the Club has played in the field for over a decade, and had not seen the kind of success it has now until the Tea Party movement caught fire.  The Club backed Toomey in the 2004 Republican primary, as people will recall, only to lose to Arlen Specter after George Bush threw his support behind the incumbent, followed by the GOP establishment.

The difference this year is the involvement and engagement of fiscal conservatives among the electorate.  They have put their money on the line to get the kind of candidates who can reverse the big-government trends of the last several decades.  That’s what has Democrats scared in the final two weeks of the midterms — not foreign influence, but a massive wave of domestic anger that will throw them out of power.

Comments

Libs stink of FEAR!! Nov 2!!!!

WhatsRight on October 18, 2010 at 1:38 PM

Not according to BrokenBentAxleRodShaft!(sarc)

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

My donations have gone to Angle, Miller, and Rubio. I guess I’m one of those “foreign” donors since I’m in Ca.

sandee on October 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM

The difference this year is the involvement and engagement of fiscal conservatives among the electorate. They have put their money on the line to get the kind of candidates who can reverse the big-government trends of the last several decades.

The Obamacrats have awaken a huge section of the normally dormant Silent Majority.

There are people I have known for years that never get political, that are completely engaged and focused on Government fiscal issues.

Nice Job Barry. You’ve done what most Republicans couldn’t…..united us.

portlandon on October 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Ed, you already know what the response to that line of thinking will be, corporations are funneling money to these individuals and having them donate as a proxy.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear a Democrat or two call for an investigation. Wait and see.

ButterflyDragon on October 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Lord Axelrod will not be pleased, nor will be the Emperor Zero.

novaculus on October 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

But . . . but I thought it was all foreign special interest money.

WannabeAnglican on October 18, 2010 at 1:40 PM

I’m scared of PBHO’s grand utopian vision, and I’m also too stupid to understand his care for me, so I donated to these lesser candidates even though they probably want to see me dead.

Bishop on October 18, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Dummies wasting their money on inexperienced losers!!111234

-NoStoppingUs

Inanemergencydial on October 18, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Take ‘that’ d’s and rino’s! We give to OUR candidates who have our values, not some rnc, msm telling us who we NEED! We are really really mad and we will vote Nov.2.
L

letget on October 18, 2010 at 1:43 PM

I’ve been donating directly to several TP candidates. Between those donations, popcorn, and Slurpees…I’m almost tapped out this month.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I’ve given to
Angle
Bachmann
O’Donnell
Rubio
Emmers

maybe a couple others.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

The small donor trend for Tea Partiers is unprecedented

Well, this just made my day. I mean, midterm.

John the Libertarian on October 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

==========================================================

Heres a Lefty Space Cadets take on this!!

Follow the Money: GOP and Tea Party…Bought, Sold, Pawned and Owned

The supporters of the Tea Party are being duped. Duped by Billionaires no less. Bilionaires bent on taking over the US Government by eliminating the very programs so many supporting the Tea Party depend on
====================================

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Drip…..
Drip…..
Drip…..
Goes the Tidal Wave……..

SayNo2-O on October 18, 2010 at 1:46 PM

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Not Bielat? He’s the only one I’ve donated to.

lorien1973 on October 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Imagine what could be given if it had not been taken.

fourdeucer on October 18, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Count our family among those contributing to candidates all across the country – the Socialists can’t believe that us knuckle-draggers actually read, think, and act all on our own, but we do….

TeresainFortWorth on October 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

A *evolution’s Brewing – A TEA Party Rally Song (Feat. “JMan”)

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Where the hell is my money? Did I miss the sign-up?

Bat Chain Puller on October 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Happily donated to Meeks, Bielat, Rob Steele and a few others that talked on the Bennett show…

usedtobeinmich on October 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

It looks like this sentiment has finally taken hold…

Fuzzlenutter on October 18, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Reminds me of an Aerosmith song—Chip Away at the Stone

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Not Bielat? He’s the only one I’ve donated to.

lorien1973 on October 18, 2010 at 1:48 PM

not yet. I could be compelled though.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Where the hell is my money? Did I miss the sign-up?

Bat Chain Puller on October 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Yep you sure did. I’m rolling in sweet sweet foreign corporate cash right now. And it feels good.

lorien1973 on October 18, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I can’t even recall who all I sent money to. All tea party candidates – that’s for sure.

bloggless on October 18, 2010 at 1:54 PM

What’s disgusting is the way this citizen activism has been slandered by the govt. gatekeeper media.

I’ve given to more candidates this year than I ever have before, and all in small amounts.

juliesa on October 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

And the Gauntlet has been ongoing!!
====================================

Local Tea Party hit with campaign complaint

Raffiani accuses Montana Shrugged founder Eric Olson and his daughter, Jennifer, of making illegal corporate in-kind contributions to Republican candidates without setting up a political action committee or reporting its donations and expenses. Raffiani was a Democratic candidate for Yellowstone County attorney in the June primary. He said he would have filed the complaint regardless of party affiliations.

===========================================================

Notice who the complaint was from,

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I Am America

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM

This got me feelin’ so fly… like a G6.

/terrible

Red Cloud on October 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I’ve given to O’Donnell, Rubio, Rossi and Angle.

GO TEA PARTY..

Brew up a storm!

txdoc on October 18, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Reminds me of an Aerosmith song—Chip Away at the Stone

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 1:51 PM

ted c: Yup,by any means necessary!:)

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 1:59 PM

THAT’S what “grass-roots” looks like, folks. In case you were wondering.

mojo on October 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM

But Obama says humans are hard-wired to run around in confused circles when panicked.

disa on October 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Metallica – Don’t Tread On Me

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 2:02 PM

This is no surprise, Americans have always been willing to open their wallets for a good cause. We are the most charitable nation on the planet and after the mess PrezBo got us into I am not surprised real America is ready to get to work fixing it.

The Expert Knows

HotAirExpert on October 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I have given more money, a lot more, than at any other time in my life this election cycle. I generally look for two or three things: a Tea Party candidate, a Palin endorsement and a candidate given grief by the establishment. I supported my local GOP (non-Tea Party) candidate early in a rematch with a Blue Dog.

Viator on October 18, 2010 at 2:08 PM

My first donation was made to Dan Benishek. Then went on to Scott Brown, O’Donnell, Rubio, Rossi, Angle, West, Bachmann, Parker, and the list goes on. I can’t afford but about $25-50 to each but I feel my money has been well spent! GET.THEM.ALL.OUT. NOVEMBER.2 Here we come are!

sicoit on October 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Let’s hope these candidates continue to identify with the Tea Party movement after they’re elected.

Hopefully they won’t go “Scott Brown” on us.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Hopefully they won’t go “Scott Brown” on us.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM

If they do..Vote in new ones..:)

Dire Straits on October 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

It’s foreign money though.

You know from America.

Foreign to Democrats, anyway.

NoDonkey on October 18, 2010 at 2:13 PM

If they do..Vote in new ones..:)

Dire Straits on October 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Ya beat me to it Dire! The positive thing about Scott Brown is that he is a Repub in a forever dem state! Step one..accomplished

sicoit on October 18, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Army of Davids……

Throw a million smooth stones at the foreheads of RINOs, Dems and their champion, the One.

thebrokenrattle on October 18, 2010 at 2:16 PM

On fiscal and small government policies I think those voters that are so involved now will stay involved. Not so sure if there’s a heavy insistence on far right social agendas. The latter will cause many to look elsewhere I think. Don’t know if one calls that ‘going Scott Brown’ or not, but no matter the name, it will cause a shift in support.

jeanie on October 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM

HondaV65 on October 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM
====================
If they do..Vote in new ones..:)

Dire Straits on October 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Dire Straits:Exactly:)

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Small checks beat the heck out of having to buy pitchforks and torches.

Don L on October 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM

“Not so sure if there’s a heavy insistence on far right social agendas. The latter will cause many to look elsewhere I think. Don’t know if one calls that ‘going Scott Brown’ or not, but no matter the name, it will cause a shift in support.”

Social agenda’s is code for abortion, sexual license and gay marriage, I assume. Nothing like fiscal conservatives thinking God has nothing to do with the immoralty of the government stealing your money and throwing you in jail for not buying health insurance. I’d suggest the fiscal conservatives look up the principle of subsidiarity that the social coservatives are fighting for – it’s exactly what fiscal conservatives claim to want -small government.

As far as the anti-social conservative people; where are they going to go, back to the Obama- ites because they support abortion aned cultural degedation?

Don L on October 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM

HondaV65 on October 18, 2010 at 2:11 PM
====================
If they do..Vote in new ones..:)

Dire Straits on October 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Dire Straits:Exactly:)

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 2:40 PM

I am confident that every blessed one of them has already gotten an earful from several contributors about the hot breath of their constituents wafting down their backs over the next two years. They will ignore that warning at their great peril.

Extrafishy on October 18, 2010 at 3:03 PM

Ditto. All donations of $50 or less…wanted to give a little to a lot of folks.

4Freedom on October 18, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Like I said the other day: every time I hear a troglodyte talk about ‘foreign money” I smile and pat the fiver in my back pocket. YEP…(pulls up pants)f o r e i g n m o n e y.
I gave to Brown, Bielat, West, Joe (“you lie”) Wilson, Sean Duffy, Angle, Bachman, and several others. Not much, but what I could.

Yellowdog12 on October 18, 2010 at 3:07 PM

The Democratic party reminds me of nothing so much as a chance line in the Wheel of Time between Graendal and Sammael that would be paraphrased…

‘[Graendal] couldn’t understand why [Sammael] wasn’t reacting… it was if all of the strings had been cut…’

This is it, exactly. The Democrat puppetmasters are confused and frightened because the strings they used to direct their marionette (the US public) don’t work anymore.

They’re frightened of the Dream Deferred… I think it does explode.

Let the fiscal conservatives not support social conservatism as they wish. If you starve the leviathan, it cannot enact socially liberal legislation.

Good point on subsidiarity, though.

Scott H on October 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM

The water started boiling for this current brew of TEA party candidates in 2006. It started when the elected GOP ignored the base and continued to act like dem light. You can go back to any talk radio or read posts from then and you will hear how the base was tired of the GOP’s spending and continued government expansion. If we remember, this is when conservatives started to stay home rather than vote for a party that no longer represented them. The base also kept their campaign contributions rather than give it to a structure that used it to support candidates like Scozzafava in NY23 and Crist in Florida. The other MSM (Main Stream Malkin) regularly posts conservatives refusal to contribute to the GOP with clear statements as to why. This is why I obsessively look to sites like this so I can find individual candidates I believe in and wish to invest in. My current strategy is to contribute to my local candidate (Miller, Alaska) and another candidate that may be a long shot but I still believe in (Bielat, Massachusetts) I try to find a different long shot each time.

lwssdd on October 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM

To Scott H:

I agree that the Dems are going to have a “come-uppens”
but the standard republican party needs one too!
No more BAUS (business as ususal stupid) no more RINO’s.
Stick to be a financial conservative and let society care for its self.
This past summer I treated myself to the book Common Sense,
If you have the chance do yourself the favor and read it.
with regards to society and government, in the book Payne states the fact that one is a good thing and the other is a necessary evil.
Also read “Its not yours to give”.

ColdWarrior57 on October 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM

But Obama says humans democrats are hard-wired to run around in confused circles when panicked.

disa on October 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM

And he is right, in this case.

Sir Napsalot on October 18, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I can see November from my house.

Wade on October 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM

I sold all of my slaves so I could donate big money to tea Party candidates. Next, I will liquidate all my castles (the ones without moats) and all my Krugerands.
/s

44Magnum on October 18, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I know the problem…honest disagreement is foreign to liberals/dems.

right2bright on October 18, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi is handing out tens of thousands of dollars to the Democrat candidates who she wants to control via her “PAC to the Future”.

Click on this link to see if your Congressperson is on this list:

Vote every one of these Pelosi Puppets OUT OF OFFICE!

wren on October 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Shhhhh narrative ruiners.

CWforFreedom on October 18, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Besides giving to each of the candidates mentioned above I also contributed to each of the candidates of “Operation Black Storm” – What a Great Feeling to have been able to give a little to so many rather than give a large chunk to any big political machine! Looks like those little donations are really adding up- just like they did with Scotty Brown :-)

huskerdiva on October 18, 2010 at 9:53 PM

Oh, add Sean Bielat to that list- Would love to retire Barney!

huskerdiva on October 18, 2010 at 9:55 PM