Paul blasts Conway for ad in debate, asking “Have you no shame?”

posted at 10:12 am on October 18, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Rand Paul hit Jack Conway during yesterday’s Senate debate in Kentucky for a wildly misleading ad about a college prank from almost thirty years ago. In this clip, Paul explains that he has been a committed pro-life Christian, and that Conway had crossed a line by attacking his religious commitment in a campaign ad. Paul finishes by asking Conway, ““Have you no decency? Have you no shame?”

Conway’s answer, according to the Courier-Journal, is a resounding no:

“Jack, you should be ashamed of yourself,” said Paul, who described himself as a “pro-life Christian” and refused to shake Conway’s hand after the debate. “Have you no decency? Have you no shame?”

During the debate at the University of Louisville, Conway defended his attacks, which stemmed from published allegations about Paul’s time at Baylor, and refused to apologize.

“Why did he freely join a group known for mocking, for making fun of people with faith?” Conway asked. “And … when is it ever a good idea to tie up a woman and ask her to kneel before a false idol, your god, which you call Aqua Buddha?”

The only person in the world who has ever taken Aqua Buddha seriously appears to be Jack Conway.  Does Aqua Buddha appear to him in his dreams?  Does Conway shake with fear at the thought that Aqua Buddha might be corrupting the minds of Kentucky’s youth?

More to the point, what does a college drinking joke from 1982 have to do with governance today?  If this is what occupies Conway’s waking thoughts, then every Kentuckian must have a job, every Kentuckian must be properly educated, and every Kentuckian must be sure that their life, liberty, and property are fully secure and need no protection from the rule of law or from the runaway agenda of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama.

Small wonder that Paul refused to shake Conway’s hand at the end:

Will Kentucky voters punish Conway by giving him the brush-off in two weeks?

Comments

I don’t blame him at all. The Democrats are imploding with 15 days to go.

kingsjester on October 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Conway’s answer, according to the Courier-Journal, is a resounding no:

Of course not, Conway’s part of the new Fascist-Democrat party.

rbj on October 18, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Will Kentucky voters punish Conway by giving him the brush-off in two weeks?

I really, really hope so. Some things are just beyond the pale.

Inkblots on October 18, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Rand Paul asked the right questions of his opponent. “Have you no shame?” “Have you no decency?” Those are appropriate and should be asked more often of fellas like Conway and Grayson. They are to be exposed as shameless and indecent men who would take those values into governance right along with them. Moreover, Paul hit Conway on the fact that Conway would lose his soul as a means to gain power and how would power feel after doing that?

THOSE are the appropriate values questions and Paul struck Conway right between the eyes with them. Moreover, Paul was right to not shake that man’s hand. Kentucky should do the right thing and elect Dr. Rand Paul for US Senate.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Toast

cmsinaz on October 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Will Kentucky voters punish Conway by giving him the brush-off in two weeks?

I know I will be! BOOYAH!

Keef Overbite on October 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Paul explains that he has been a committed pro-life Christian

My understanding is that Paul is one of the most consistent pro-lifers in GOP.

MeatHeadinCA on October 18, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Paul gave a good closing statement.

amerpundit on October 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM

This thing must be further apart than 7 points or Conway wouldn’t be going this route. Pathetic. I did love Paul’s use of Mark’s gaining a kingdom at the price of ones soul, wasn’t in the clip I watched but I read that last night, very appropriate.

lizzie beth on October 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Small wonder that Paul refused to shake Conway’s hand at the end:

You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’ – Judas Priest (Lyrics Included)

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 10:24 AM

No shame, no brains, and not a shred of decency.

Dark-Star on October 18, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I’ve been known to worship the Porcelain Buddha, especially after too many Tecate’s.

Bishop on October 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Sounds like a good time for an oldie but goodie tune…Pat travers anyone!…..Boom Boom out goes the lights.

hawkman on October 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

lizzie beth on October 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM

totally agree. A great teaching point by Rand Paul. We need senators who do this. +100

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Wow – how many adult people were perfect in their teens & 20′s? If we demanded that there would be no one available to run for office.

katiejane on October 18, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Bravo, Rand!

I wouldn’t want to shake the hand of a libtard, either. Who knows where’s it’s been?

GrannyDee on October 18, 2010 at 10:29 AM

OT: Dennis Kucinich’s challenger has pulled to within 4 points in a “safe district”. I guess that means he’s wearing a condom or something….

check it.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Running against a Dem is like our troops fighting Jihadist, We are bound by ethics and and the Geneva Convention where Dems and jihadies are not.
It is just that simple.

esnap on October 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

The next two weeks are going to be a wild ride. Desperation makes people do crazy things.

kingsjester on October 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Ah… he should’a fist bumped him… Won’t say where, or how hard… but you get the idea.

RalphyBoy on October 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Dems – whatever I have said or done in my past is of NO consequence.

Repub – whatever I have done, have allegedly done or said in my past is vitally important to who I am now.

shakes head will walking away……

ny59giants on October 18, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Rand Paul is going to walk away with this election.

And … I’d like to remind everyone that the GOP establishment didn’t like Paul – and didn’t think he was a very good candidate.

And I’d like to remind people that Ron Paul is THE Tea Party candidate here.

So when Rand Paul, and Joe Miller, and Sharon Angle – and all of the other Tea Party candidates WIN on election day …

I predict that the GOP establishment will pronounce the Tea Parties as irrelevant if one candidate – Christine O’Donnell – does not win.

HondaV65 on October 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I thought Paul handled this situation with aplomb. It was such an outrageous accusation, on par with the idiot who actually got a notarized affadavit saying he slept with Haley, that it called for a rather dramatic reply.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

“Have you no shame?”

Rand, come on!

I mean, you’re talking about the party of Barney Frank for crying out loud!

pilamaye on October 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Democrats are now so desperate that they are beginning to use the political and rhetorical equivalents of car bombs and suicide bombers.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

check it.

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

WOW!! Good news for us in Ohio 10th House District. We already voted absentee; two here for Corrigan.

Tx. for the heads up, Ted.

GrannyDee on October 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Frankly, I think the attacks on O’Donnell fall very close to this category. I watched those Maher shows and came away with the context, myself.

To call her a witch today is absurd.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

HondaV65 on October 18, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I’m sure that the MSM will do that for them. The silence of the GOP will note their agreement on the matter. I hope it doesn’t end up that way, but, we’ve seen how far hope gets us, haven’t we.?

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Tx. for the heads up, Ted.

GrannyDee on October 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

good for you. Let us know if you see any strange, unidentified aircraft landing and ol’ Denny climbing aboard, ok?

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Demi Moore is seeing a fat blond guy now?

Caper29 on October 18, 2010 at 10:47 AM

While Conway’s ad is shameless, I think Paul is making a mistake by blowing up over it.

Paul is way ahead and shouldn’t take chances like not shaking Conway’s hand. He should bring up the desperation Conway is showing but he should remain above it.

jpmn on October 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Good for Rand Paul! It’s high time we stop pretending that the likes of Conway are honorable men.

WannabeAnglican on October 18, 2010 at 10:52 AM

shirley & company “shame shame shame” 1975 disco
================================================

canopfor on October 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

The Democrats have finally coordinated a winning counter to the conservative wave: “The Chamber of Aqua Buddhas is taking foreign money and usin’ it to attack Democrats! The answer: Howard Dean goes deep cover.”

forest on October 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Add Conway to the long and growing list of candidates on both sides of the aisle…(wink, wink, Princess Lisa) that will stop at nothing to win. They are pulling out all of the stops and all of the SLIME. We still have 14 days to go people. Does anyone want to take bets as to exactly how LOW this is going to go??

Dan Pet on October 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Bravo Rand!! Joseph Welch would be proud of the way you dealt with Conway. Drunken liars deserve no better.

JohnGalt23 on October 18, 2010 at 10:54 AM

The not shaking hands was, maybe, a bit much; but his comments? Spot on. And needed.

You can see that these ridiculous stories that aren’t backed by facts DO grow legs and are hurting candidates this year.

That is because teaparty ideas are truly new thinking for many people. It becomes easier to scapegoat the candidates rather than grapple with what they are saying.

Smaller government, face it, is new to even my generation, nevermind the younger voters.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I think he should have walked over, extended his hand…then pulled it back.
And state “No really, do you honestly think I would shake the hand of a man that attacks my family?”
…well it would not be a smart move, but the image is pretty darn funny.

right2bright on October 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM

ted c on October 18, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Yes, and these types of attacks give a bump in the polls, but also energize the opponent. That’s why it’s risky.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I’m truly sorry, though, that Buck answered that question about gays and choice. *sigh* And it’s too bad Miller handcuffed the blogger. *sigh*

This doesn’t help.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Why would anyone want to shake the hand of a man so despicable?
I have never understood that.
I always shake the hand of my opponent in tennis, I have a great time win or lose…unless they cheat, get into the gamesmanship, then I just walk off the court.
“The attacker sets the agenda as to what is lawful and right”.

I suppose those who advocate him shaking hands, are the type who hand over their wallet/purse to a robber then thank them and “have a nice day”…

right2bright on October 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

jpmn on October 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM

No. It’s time we stopped being ‘collegial’ with these blatant enemies of America.

fossten on October 18, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I believe Paul is the second Pub candidate for office to use the ‘have you no shame’ line in the last week. That line was made famous in it’s use against Joe McCarthy back in the ’50′s. The next Pub candidate that uses this line before the election will convince me that it’s part of a strategy. Rove, you magnificent…

joejm65 on October 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM

In case you missed it FULL JACK CONWAY vs RAND PAUL Kentucky Senate Debate

Nearly Nobody on October 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Why would anyone want to shake the hand of a man so despicable?
I have never understood that.

I think I can answer that one. I think many of us are fed up with the Senate in a real way. They are senators, voted for an extended term, and they are in the role of being statesmen, not partisan voices.

We expect them to meet their political opposition with decorum. Shaking hands is very much decorum. And that speaks to the ability to compromise wisely.

And that is important. So I agree, Paul went too far. However, he saved the day, too, by his explanation.

It was a wash, though. I think he’d have really made points had he shook hands and THEN blasted the ad.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 11:18 AM

In short, I think style matters in senatorial races. Rand Paul undermined his own very real attitude of indignancy with that simple act.

Oh well, maybe he honestly is brittle, as his critics are saying. We should get a real bead on him as an individual, anyway.

He will get one shot here. If he proves to be that brittle, KY can elect someone else next time.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 11:20 AM

Sorry, I think it’s a bad move on the part of Rand. Refusing to shake the guy’s hand can appear childish, and putting an ad out seems to sind Rand to Conway’s level. I think people are smart enough to know who is being a jerk. Rand should stick with the issues and show himself to be unflappable instead of letting Conway get under his skin.

JohnTant on October 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

At least from polls I’m seeing, Rand Paul is not way ahead. Wrong?

Claire Mc. is sure out there pushing his opponent. I doubt she’d do that if this wasn’t a real horserace at this point.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM

JohnTant on October 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Ideally. But maybe he’s not unflappable. It’s not entirely the end of the world if that’s the case.

There are other very flappable senators. Hint: Boxer.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Her remark to the general over Ma’am certainly was one of unflappability. *haha

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM

At least from polls I’m seeing, Rand Paul is not way ahead. Wrong?

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Rand Paul is so far ahead and so right on this sleezeball that on the Moaning Joe show segment I saw, Jon Meachum and Mika and Mike Barnacle played this clip and had nothing to add to what Rand Paul said. Agreement by silence. “Let’s move on.”

Marcus on October 18, 2010 at 11:31 AM

What on Earth is wrong with being ‘flappable’? Have we become a nation of wimps who have to listen politely to any insult, and then shake the hand of the insulter and thank him? What’s wrong with being indignant as a result of undignified attacks?

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM

More to the point, what does a college drinking joke from 1982 have to do with governance today? If this is what occupies Conway’s waking thoughts, then every Kentuckian must have a job, every Kentuckian must be properly educated, and every Kentuckian must be sure that their life, liberty, and property are fully secure and need no protection from the rule of law or from the runaway agenda of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama.

Ed, this is totally hypocritical. Conway’s ad is ridiculous, but plenty of political attacks (including *many* that appear on this blog) have nothing to do with governance today.

If you’re saying that personal actions outside of the sphere of government are irrelevant and shouldn’t be used in attacks, then that will drastically reduce your postings on this blog.

tneloms on October 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Why would anyone want to shake the hand of a man so despicable?
I have never understood that.
“The attacker sets the agenda as to what is lawful and right”.

right2bright on October 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM

You are spot on.
I’m sorry, but I do not think it wise to give credence to dangerous people by giving the public the perception that people this dangerous deserve to be treated with high respect.
When did it become undecent to call a man a liar, a charlatan, evil, dangerous, or despicable when they are clearly one or all of those things?
I do not give some people I work with any respect other than the BASIC human respect I would give any person, enemy or not.
If they overtly respond to my appearance with a Good Morning or something, I may respond in kind, but unenthusiastically bcs let’s face it: people need to know that we know they are scumbags.
Someone has to tell them. And KEEP telling them bcs through extraordinary kindness, they may believe they are A OK in their actions.
If you look back into the history of the founding of this country, you will find many such altercations between statesmen as the truth was cited about their persons.
If someone is a petty schmuck, you don’t legitimize them by shaking their hand when they clearly do not deserve such recognition.

Badger40 on October 18, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Based on what poll?

I’m seeing a huge tightening on RCP.

Certainly, it’s not like Rubio in FL. Now, there’s a locked down race.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 12:02 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I agree that it’s not going to hurt him that much. Even our most popular politician today, Bill Clinton, absolutely has ripped when offended.

Senators usually have personalities. We’re used to that.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I think this ad seals the deal….for Rand Paul, not the attacker.

Nobody tries this who isn’t completely desperate.

AnninCA on October 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 18, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I don’t think it’s a question of wimpiness, but rather of refusing to legitimize Conway’s charges through a response. Don’t let your opponent know you’ve touched a nerve. By responding in kind it lengthens the amount of time the issue is in the news cycle and people naturally take a second look.

In other words, calling Rand Paul a disciple of the aqua buddha or whatever on its own is kind of dumb. But when Rand devotes time to rebut it, then it gains a certain amount of legitimacy as a campaign issue.

I’d rather Paul be combative over Conway’s liberal/socialist proclivities than go to the mattresses over something as trivial as this.

JohnTant on October 18, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Paul’s got my vote in a few days!

HellCat on October 18, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Oh man, that’s a body blow! Rand will be up another 10 points by weeks end. Stick a fork in Conway, he’s done.

American Elephant on October 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM

The Dems must be extremely desperate to be digging all the way back to high school (O’Donnell) and college for dirt.

I wonder what kinds of things ol’ Conway did back then? Maybe he has some classmates that would like to come forward.

At least back then, most of our embarrassments weren’t recorded permanently. What is the latest generation going to do when they start running for office when everything they’ve done or thought is in the cloud? I know that old stuff I said back before the Web was invented is still out there. Fortunately, they are mostly posts from work-related bulletin boards but they do prove that most of it is saved forever.

Common Sense on October 18, 2010 at 2:52 PM

I like this Rand Paul more and more everytime I hear him speak. I hope Kentucky voters give him a chance. Go Kentucky!

bitsy on October 18, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I live in Louisville, and when I saw this ad come on, I thought it was some kind of parody aimed at Conway for some other stupid remark he’d made. When it reached it’s conclusion without the requisite acknowledgement that it was a joke, I sat stunned with my jaw on the floor.

I hope Conway never steps foot near another public office for as long as he lives

Viewtifulgare on October 19, 2010 at 2:31 AM