Crist to Rubio: You offend my Hispanicness

posted at 9:13 am on October 16, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

How do we know Charlie Crist has fully transformed into a Democrat? He set himself up as the authority on Hispanic authenticity in the debate with Marco Rubio and Kendrick Meek last night on the Tampa Bay Fox affiliate. In fact, Crist goes so far that the other Democrat in the race winds up objecting to the attack after Marco Rubio’s strong rebuttal. Crist attempts to scold Rubio for “turning his back on his Hispanic family,” and then tries to weasel out of it by saying he just read it in a newspaper:

It’s bad enough playing identity politics when one is of the identity in question. It’s doubly offensive when it comes from someone who shares nothing of the ethnicity they purport to represent. In Crist’s case, though, it qualifies as high satire. Isn’t Crist the candidate that just “turned his back” on the political party he led in this state only because Rubio was kicking his rear end in primary polling, and then spent the next several months reversing almost every policy position he ever held? Crist has the nerve to lecture Rubio on political ambition?

And then, after that, Crist tries running away from his own attack by claiming that he was just quoting someone else. Not only is Crist shameless, he’s gutless as well.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

canopfor on October 16, 2010 at 10:30 AM
================
Don’t we do that on HotAir constantly? We don’t seem to be so nasty about it.

Cindy Munford on October 16, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Cindy Mnford: Good Point,but H/A is on a Mission of RINO,
Moderate,”Fence-Sitters” Purgation!!!

The Libs want PURITY,in the case of Florida
as “ITS Always Been a Latin Seat”,now that
is pretty scary stuff,com’n from da Leftys!!

In my thinking,thee BEST Qualified American,
should run for whatever seat!!!:)

canopfor on October 16, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I read in an anonymous blog posting that Crist turned his back on principles and is now a political whore. It wasn’t me saying it, just an anonymous blog poster.

EMD on October 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Furthermore, it’s also pretty offensive for Crist to be touting on his website. You don’t have to put every endorsement on your website, so the fact that Crist thought this was appropriate to post is doubly repulsive.

Abby Adams on October 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM

And then the idiot brings up the offensive article to Rubio’s face. The guy is a moron!

terryannonline on October 16, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Crist is starting to look like a ferret.

darwin on October 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM

An orange ferret.

jimmy2shoes on October 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM

canopfor on October 16, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Denying someone their heritage because you don’t agree with them? That is repulsive.

thebrokenrattle on October 16, 2010 at 10:26 AM

thebrokenrattle: Exactly,sickening!:)

canopfor on October 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Charlie Crist reminds me of Michael Scott from The Office….always manages to be the jerkiest guy in the room.

terryannonline on October 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM

From their lips to God’s ears!

IowaWoman on October 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM

IowaWoman: Yup,the Left is worried..alot!!:)

canopfor on October 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Crist is starting to look like a ferret.

darwin on October 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM
===================
An orange ferret.

jimmy2shoes on October 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Jimmy2shoes: Well,Hopey the Fence Post Turtle will have a
sun bathing friend to keep him company!hehe!!

canopfor on October 16, 2010 at 10:55 AM

(with straight face) Essentially Mr. Rubio has blind ambition….

Comedy gold! Gold Jerry Gold!! LOL!

Caper29 on October 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Did Crist graduate fro Syracuse?

artist on October 16, 2010 at 9:27 AM

I tried.

artist on October 16, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Wake Forest and FSU.

Lanceman on October 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Charlie Crist: Pulling the Envelope.

Immolate on October 16, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Wake Forest and FSU.

Lanceman on October 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM

I think he was making a joke about Syracuse’s mascot.

Abby Adams on October 16, 2010 at 11:14 AM

After watching that exchange, I like Rubio, I like Meek, and I think Crist is a slimy contemptible sewer rat.

PackerBronco on October 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Reminds me of Seinfeld, “He converted just for the jokes”.

I could substitute ‘identity politics’ or ‘playing race card’ for ‘jokes’, but that tactic has basically become a joke.

reaganaut on October 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Hey Crist shut your face, Hispanics like winners. Not losers like you. Rubio is a winner

conservador on October 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM

terryannonline on October 16, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Whatever it is that Chuckie Crist reminds me of, if I had one in my house, I’d flush it down the toilet.

mr.blacksheep on October 16, 2010 at 11:25 AM

That was the GOP Establishment candidate.

rob verdi on October 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM

THE most salient point to be made here.

Sheerq on October 16, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Exactly. Meeks seems like a decent guy. Disagree with his policies, but he seems like a stand up guy. Crist is the biggest scumbag on the planet.

p0s3r on October 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Just to think….not long ago, Charlie Crist, was a strong favorite and Golden Boy, for the Republican elitist.

mobydutch on October 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Charlie “Kirk Lazarus” Crist goes full…

Christien on October 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Ed, you have a typo. You forgot to capitalize the “my” in the title.

unclesmrgol on October 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I like that embedded just below the article is a Charlie Crist ad.

redeye on October 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM

That pretty much says it all, and spells it out for people. If his polling numbers don’t go down in a big way….then one has to wonder…what kind of warped mind would even consider voting for this idiot.

Although….as shameless as this is, he does make a d@mn good democrat, doesn’t he? Sheesh.

capejasmine on October 16, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Gutless worm….

hachiban on October 16, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Crist READS from a newspaper story in a debate? I can see the campaign ad from right here.

“Charlie Crist knows how to read!
Leadership YOU can believe in!”

I wonder how many voters Charlie LOST with this approach?

Freddy on October 16, 2010 at 12:45 PM

The fact that anyone beyond Crist’s immediate family supports him is mindboggling to me.

ButterflyDragon on October 16, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I’ve said this plenty, but Crist is a slimeball hypocrite…its pretty outrageous that he would accuse (2nd hand) Rubio of doing anything for power when that is one of Crist’s chief stances…Crist will date and get engaged to a woman simply to quell rumors that he’s homosexual (the months leading up to the election, and then broke up with her almost immediately after he found out he wasn’t going to be picked as McCain’s running mate), switch parties when he can’t run under their banner, back RINO John McCain instead of a real conservative to gain favor, stand beside Pres. Obama to get an inside track on an appointment and/or support, change his stance on a political topic that plays better to the polling numbers…whatever it takes, C.Crist will do it to obtain political power.

And that tan, jeez, could this guy be any more slimy?!?

I hate that I had vote for a 3rd party candidate in the last gubernatorial race knowing full well that he would still win…

Geministorm on October 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM

the tea party and overall conservative movement has done a tremendous favor to the US public

we have exposed many of the people now holding office as venal, stupid, greedy and entitled. We have shown them to be potentially violent and threatening if you challenge their job.

we have shown how the press is part of the political class, the Praetorian guard dogs

ultimately the voters decision has to be, do I get enough from the Combine to continue to vote for slimy people, or is there a better way, a better country we can build

r keller on October 16, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Kudos to Rubio for his response. You can see he is ticked off by Crist, but his reply is the perfect combination of passion and control.

swellhotair on October 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Just a shorter primer for folks unfamiliar with Florida politics: most of the people who will vote for Crist in this election are the same ones who would vote against Cristie if they still lived in New Jersey – and there are zillions of them. This thing ain’t over.

Knott Buyinit on October 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Yep, and they still maintain their registration and vote in NJ as well. (Drives me nuts that the states refuse to track the double voting.)

obladioblada on October 16, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Crist always looks like he’s about ready to cry.

mizflame98 on October 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Crist always looks like he’s about ready to cry.

mizflame98 on October 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM

He’s slowly coming to the realization that he could have walked into the senate in 2012, by unseating Nelson. And now, he has no political future anywhere.

lorien1973 on October 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Crist is a disgrace to his kind.

This isn’t my opinion; I read it in LoompaLand Weekly, and it’s important that their tiny orange rhyming voices be heard.

sulla on October 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

this is unreal. Orangeman actually is trying to say he’s more hispanic than Rubio? wow. the bronzer has definitely seeped to his brain. loved the way Rubio destroyed him right after.

moonbatkiller on October 16, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Crist to Rubio: You offend my Hispanicness

Rubio has discovered that Crist is in HIS-PANIC-NESS mode.

Rovin on October 16, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Crist is a disgrace to his kind.

sulla on October 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I have a miserable cold right now, but in between my coughing and wheezing I laughed heartily at that. Thanks, sulla.

Extrafishy on October 16, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Maybe Rubio also offends Charlie’s Guatemalaness.

Philly on October 16, 2010 at 2:49 PM

“Their words, not mine,” -Crist.

“Y’know Vito, uh, I never said it but everybody says your sister’s a slut.”

Akzed on October 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Annoying Orange Charley.

Akzed on October 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I would have told him, “Oh, so you’re just reporting it? Well, that’s this guy’s job (point to the moderator). If you want to be a reporter, I suggest you get out of the race and apply for position at MSNBC. If you want to run for office, I suggest you stand behind whatever you say.”

PackerBronco on October 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM

What a dork. I’ll bet Crist spent a lot of time hiding behind his mommy as a kid.

RalphyBoy on October 16, 2010 at 3:51 PM

One can practically see the editor’s spittle dripping from the pages of La Gaceta when discussing Marco.

Among the myriad of voices clamoring for a candidate’s attention (and we like to believe we are the saner ones), a principled Charlie Crist would never worry about the words of such a hateful rag. But now he calls it “highly respected” and quotes it as newsworthy?

I agree with you guys: Kendrick Meek knows what principles are far better than Crist does. Too bad the (D) party will almost certainly force him to compromise them when it appears he will have no chance to win a principled fight in this election.

rwenger43 on October 16, 2010 at 3:54 PM

You can see Rubio barely holding back his rage after that s**tlicking c**t threw that at him, and frankly, I’d have gladly walked into the room and decked him just to save Rubio having to potentially lose face for justifiable cold-cocking that slimy little f**k.

Meek continues to impress me with his respectful approach to politics, though. Classy, but wrong, guy.

MadisonConservative on October 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM

At this rate Rubio could win 60% of the vote

unseen on October 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Isn’t it ironic that Crist would accuse Rubio of turning his back on his family when Crist won’t even admit to belonging to his “family”?

Love him or hate him, there isn’t much you could accuse Rubio of being in the closet about.

DarkKnight3565 on October 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Naked impertinence is indignant.

Crist acts like a far left liberal of today, through and through. Join the latrine, rat. Get on a ski and ride the slush. The wave will engulf you, shortly.

Messrs Rubio and Meek are the gentlemen in this picture.

Schadenfreude on October 16, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Contrast the cool and righteous anger of Rubio with the unhinged offence that Behar and Goldberg displayed when they walked away from a debate this week.

thebrokenrattle on October 16, 2010 at 5:23 PM

The annoying blinking table is really hoaky! What’s with that? Your turn is up and it starts blinking red? Give me a break, what idiot thought of that?!!

Susanboo on October 16, 2010 at 7:02 PM

DarkKnight3565 on October 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM

His family is probably not admitting to belonging to him! If I was part of Crist’s family, I would never admit to it either!

Susanboo on October 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Who would have thought?,,,,Christ really is a democrat….

tinkerthinker on October 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I’m still betting the Crist finishes behind Meek on election day. Rubio respects Meek, Meek respects Rubio, no one respect Crist and I doubt many voters will either.

I’ve heard some teachers talk that they’ll vote for him because he backed them in their dispute earlier in the year, but I don’t believe that will hold when they figure that, if they’re going to waste a vote, they might as well waste it on Meek and let the Republocrat flit with the wind.

bflat879 on October 16, 2010 at 8:11 PM

What a slimy opportunist this orange ferret is! The man has no shame and no principles.

Just how stupid would someone have to be to vote for the jerk now?

I’m setting his over/under at 15%, and am inclined to bet “under.”

Adjoran on October 16, 2010 at 8:27 PM

I’m still expecting Crist to withdraw before the election so he can campaign again and not having lost in his run for Senate on his record. Remember, this is Charlie Crist. He wasn’t officially on the ballot on election day.

Marcus on October 16, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Meek’s and Rubio’s obvious respect for each other and willingness to debate the issues like grown-ups gave me a hopeful glimpse of what politics may be like in a generation not obsessed with identity politics.

inmypajamas on October 16, 2010 at 10:23 PM

MadisonConservative on October 16, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I agree with your sentiment 100%. Couldn’t have said it saltier myself.

I think Rubio was probably more flabbergasted than angry at that crawling low life for throwing him such a hanging curveball, though.

Saltysam on October 16, 2010 at 11:42 PM

Mr. Meek seems to be a decent person

Epic FAIL! Nobody who votes the Obama/Pelosi line can be a decent person by definition. He may seem like a nice guy, but thieves aren’t “decent”, and Demonrats are thieves. Again, by definition. That’s like saying Karl Marx was a “decent guy” cuz he was concerned about the little guy, or something.

Sorry, Cindy. I agree with you much more than disagree, but this is a ginormous fail here. Don’t let you basic niceness make you say silly things.
——————-
OK, so how do you get an empty line space in here…?

RightThinker on October 17, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Rubio:: Crist: “Lo Siento”

V-rod on October 17, 2010 at 12:21 AM

Disgusting

Absolutely Disgusting

I do believe if he were to be punched hard enough in the face perhaps it would dislodge his head from his @$$.

Honest to God what I wanted to do right there.

Now Mr. Meek and I have to agree with Sindy on this one DOES seem like a decent guy and yes he is a Democrat-I’m fully aware of that RT

SgtSVJones on October 17, 2010 at 12:26 AM

{Shrugs} No matter how pleasant s/he may seem, I cannot and will not consider anyone who wants to destroy the country I live in, and my children will presumably live in, decent. Best s/he can get from me for pushing leftist policies is earnest and retarded. But since leftism is truly all about power, and so few leftists will admit that publicly, mostly all they get is retarded. Or evil.
Now, how do you get that blank line space, Sarge?

RightThinker on October 17, 2010 at 12:35 AM

The thing people can I hope agree on is that at least based on this brief clip Meek appears to have handled himself well enough for the Crist camp to look more desperate to call for him to withdraw. How delicious would it be for the uproar for Crist to get the hell out on Monday to begin.

Marcus on October 17, 2010 at 12:46 AM

The orange guy thinks he’s Hispanic?

Jesus Crist what a moron!

soundingboard on October 17, 2010 at 6:42 AM

There are still “Conservatives” that comment on this site that are pulling for Crist to pull it out because he has vowed to vote in a manner that would be productive to “their” most important legislative agenda.

Remember when we Social Conservative were told to give up the abortion issue because it was ruining the party. It’s great to see a candidate like Rubio not only being backed, but being considered more Republican mainstream again.

hawkdriver on October 17, 2010 at 9:07 AM

He’s quite a piece of work, isn’t he? I still can’t believe that he put out that silly rumor that Meeks was dropping out.

AnninCA on October 17, 2010 at 10:01 AM

That was the GOP Establishment candidate.
rob verdi on October 16, 2010 at 9:17 AM

worth a ditto

r keller on October 16, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Double ditto

The chosen ones, Specter, Crist, the Murk, Scuzzafava…

Makes my skin crawl

entagor on October 17, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Crist is channeling Harry Reid–how can a Hispanic be Republican?

How does Crist, who is not Hispanic, pretend to teach all Hispanics what they should think?

Rubio’s parents escaped from Castro’s Cuba, and cherished the FREEDOM they found in Florida–they were willing to work hard, and didn’t want handouts. If Crist had walked a mile in their shoes, he would know why Rubio is who he is, and talk about policy issues, not “Hispanicness”.

The cat is out of the bag. Crist is a RACIST. Orange People uber alles.

Steve Z on October 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

I’m lazy-I don’t know if anyone on this thread has addressed this minor (to me, major) point about “Hispanicness”: This is not a very definiable (if it can be at all) genetic group of people like say for instance the various Native North & South American Indian tribes are.
Hispanic-ness can run from a very low % of AmerIndian genes to a very high %, meaning that those who are “Hispanic” can have huge amounts of European genes. So do we consider those people ‘white’?
Bcs I may have a higher % of Native American Indian genes in my genetic profile than does a Hispanic, but I look white, can I therefore consider myself a non-white person when filling out governmental forms?
Honestly, this fixation of ‘race’ is the most pathetic construct humans have come up with in politics yet. Almost.

Badger40 on October 18, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Not only is Crist shameless, he’s gutless as well.

You forgot to mention ORANGE!

M-14 2go on October 18, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I think I saw that orange-skinned douchebag Crist on an episode of South Park last week. It was the South Park episode satirizing that horrible Douchebag-Du-Jour show on MTV called Jersey Shore.

CatchAll on October 18, 2010 at 8:28 PM