Michelle Obama: Keep praying to “keep the spirits clean around us”

posted at 8:46 pm on October 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Posted for one reason and one reason only: This might be my first, last, and best chance to convert some of the readership to atheism. If the prayers were working, the Times wouldn’t be running articles right now about how much our current “recovery” still feels like a recession, am I right? Quote: “At the current rate of job creation, the nation would need nine more years to recapture the jobs lost during the recession.” If that’s what the clean spirits look like, what do they look like when they’re dirty? C’mon — atheist high-five. Anyone? S.E. Cupp? Ah, you guys are no fun.

Seriously, though, this clip is being featured on Drudge at the moment and I’m not sure why anyone would object to it. It’s just standard “prayers for the president” rhetoric, isn’t it? As old as America. Leave FLOTUS alone! Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I sort of have a rule… don’t critic other people’s prayers… so I’m not really going to watch… I might break my own rules.

The idea of “clean spirits” is odd enough. Does she mean angels? Okay now I’m doing it and haven’t even watched it!

But is conversion the word for becoming an atheist? Isn’t there something like un-conversion? An un-change of heart? An experience of becoming unborn… of your heart being dirtied up, the triumph of the dark and carnal man over the divine inner being, feeling the weight and hopelessness of your sins, weaknesses and mistakes, no hope of becoming better, of living forever in your debased state?

I mean… conversion involves lots of stuff… becoming a cynical non-believer somehow seems anti-climatic. Not nearly as grand.

Besides Allah I would think proselytizing was against your religion… so to speak.

petunia on October 13, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Rules For Radicals:

Rule #3: Whenever possible…awe screw it…that lady is crazy loco!

Alinsky on October 13, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Always suspected that you were a missionary.

Blake on October 13, 2010 at 10:04 PM

He’s not quite as bad as the Society for Evangelical Agnosticism, which used to advertise in the back of THE HUMANIST magazine back in the late 70′s and early 80′s.

I always wondered what if their credo was, “I don’t know… and you don’t know, ether!”

ebrown2 on October 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM

No wonder the Won is afeared of MOOchelle!

MOOchelle and mom have a voodoo doll of Pinnochio and if he pisses them off he pisses his pants.

dhunter on October 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM

bcm4134 on October 13, 2010 at 9:58 PM

That’s about right. You can certainly pray for God’s protection, but I have never heard any Christian pray to “keep the spirits clean.”

INC on October 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

A student of the reverend Wright.

texanpride on October 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

…at least her husband can quote from the bible, even if it’s just for mocking purposes…but all she could come up with was this ‘clean spirits’ oddity? it would be fun if Wolf Blizter or anyone in the media ask her to explain or expand on that :-)…

jimver on October 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

Translated, that means get rid of whitey.

Alden Pyle on October 13, 2010 at 10:19 PM

I’d like to strangle the idiot who first asserted that Michelle has great toned arms. She has worn nothing but sleeveless outfits since. I am nauseated. Somebody buy her a jacket. Please.

DrStock on October 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

but they look a little flabby in this pic, or is it just me…maybe she should start waving more discreetly (like th Queen does :-) instead of putting her arms in the air like that…

jimver on October 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Got my prayer rug ready, Moochelle!

Which way is Mecca?

David2.0 on October 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM

I pray for whomever is in the Presidency.

portlandon on October 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Don’t forget, P&G had problems about 20 years ago with its moon and stars logo.
BuckeyeSam on October 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM

That is such a neat logo. It’s a shame it was trashed by superstitious nonsense. P&G is an American success story — 1837.

P&G’s former logo originated in 1851 as a crude cross that barge workers on the Ohio River painted on cases of P&G star candles to identify them. P&G later altered this symbol into a trademark that showed a man in the moon overlooking 13 stars, said to commemorate the original 13 colonies.[15]

Feedie on October 13, 2010 at 10:21 PM

She got a Slurpee brain-freeze from Barack creating a massive debt her daughers will have to pay..

TN Mom on October 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM

To the contrary. If anything this should be a come to Jesus moment for everyone. Pray harder for deliverance from this evil. At some point in time Satan was an angel. The Obama’s? Not so much.

BrideOfRove on October 13, 2010 at 10:23 PM

This reminds me I need to pray for the president more often. I don’t agree with him all the time but I still pray for him.

terryannonline on October 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

You should pray for more methadone.

David2.0 on October 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM

INC on October 13, 2010 at 10:16 PM

I don’t even know what that means. Is that a voodoo thing? I googled it and found nothing. Wiccan, perhaps?

BrideOfRove on October 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM

She didn’t last long.

Back in the closet, Michelle!

David2.0 on October 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM

DrStock on October 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

jimver on October 13, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Bill Cosby did a great old routine about his grandmother (?) who could crack the flab on the back of her arm like a whip and use it to keep the kids in line.

slickwillie2001 on October 13, 2010 at 10:40 PM

BrideOfRove on October 13, 2010 at 10:27 PM

I don’t know. Voodoo/Santeria were mentioned on the previous page of this thread–they all share similar thinking along the lines of animism (evil spirits in everything). This smacks of that pagan kind of thinking.

INC on October 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I pray about him too, but probably not for the things that would make her happy.

Alden Pyle on October 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM

“Keep praying to keep the schpirits clean around us”

“Barack and I are so schpecial”

“Barack and I schtruggle for YOU”

This is how Brack’s horse talks.

Fancy schools in the U.S. s/b indignant, alas…imbeciles unite!

Schadenfreude on October 13, 2010 at 10:47 PM

And speaking of spirits, have spirits been injected into the HA comment feature?

BuckeyeSam on October 13, 2010 at 9:36 PM

Naw, I’m just drinking the rum Last time I injected it I got a hellava bruise.

katy the mean old lady on October 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM

You mean, Michelle (Bush’s rebate check for $650.00 wouldn’t even buy a decent pair of earrings) Obama? Sorry, lady, can’t help you with your woes. And, who or what the heck is a “clean spirit”?

betsyz on October 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM

I wasn’t aware you could convert someone to believing in nothing.

JavelinaBomb on October 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Who the Queen is refering as the dirty spirits is the Republican Party. Time to have Pastor Wright to the White House for a prayer meeting. Isn’t it time for her to take another vacation and spend more of the taxpayer’s dollars.

flintstone on October 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Thinking about it, didn’t Obama mock Mrs. Reagan for supposedly talking to spirits? And here his wife is, talking to thousands I surmise, conjuring up seance-like spirits.

betsyz on October 13, 2010 at 11:03 PM

Bill Maher will say nothing about this, I bet.

esnap on October 13, 2010 at 11:04 PM

“Prayer circles”? “clean spirits”? I wonder if Gaia weeps every time someone votes for a Republican.

JavelinaBomb on October 13, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Oooookaaaay. Kinda creepy wordage there.

They better tell that to Voodoo Granny Robinson, then. Unless they think those spirits are ok?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM

I don’t practice Santeria. I aint got no crystal ball.

Weight of Glory on October 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Well I had a trillion dollars, but I, I’d spend it all.

I guess there aren’t many Sublime fans here!

mrsmwp on October 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM

She was probably referring to the departure of Rham. That must have cleaned things up considerably.

azkenreid on October 13, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Clean, bright and articulate.

Greed on October 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM

“Keep the spirits clean around us”? Whatever that is, it isn’t Christian.

UnderstandingisPower on October 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM

And there’s FLOTUS reminding us that we’re in the pits by showing for the millionth time her arm pits.

AP, I think all this means is that the first couple aren’t praying to the Almighty. Some other “god” maybe, but not the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 13, 2010 at 11:50 PM

Clean, bright and articulate.

Greed on October 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM

lol That’s the first thing I thought of also.

Aren’t they already “clean?” Isn’t that what Biden said about Obama a couple years ago? lol

Elisa on October 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM

What does atheism have to do with prayers not working? Just because someone prays for something to happen, doesn’t mean it’s going to happen. It’s not the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

ButterflyDragon on October 14, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I knew this would happen when MOOchelle hit the road. It didn’t take her long at all.

HellCat on October 14, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I’ve never heard of “clean spirits” in all my life. It certainly isn’t Christian or has anything to do with proper spiritual warfare.

I don’t even think this is a stupid pagan or new age type phrase. I think she is just making it up as she goes along. Not wanting to use Christian phrases or pray to angels.

It would make sense that they would make up their own religion since he is “the one” we’ve all been waiting for. A messiah needs his own religion. Probably why he hasn’t found a church in Washington yet. None out there called St. Obama’s Church.

Elisa on October 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM

I guess my last post was dripping with way too much sarcasm. Not very Christian of me. Forgive me, please.

It is just so hard with these people.

God bless them and our country. We need Divine intervention. And good election results in November. Forget majorities. We need enough to override any Presidential vetos.

Elisa on October 14, 2010 at 12:10 AM

Elisa on October 14, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Saint?

Oh, he thinks he is much, much higher than a saint. He truly thinks of himself as a messiah. Placing himself just a notch below God.

ButterflyDragon on October 14, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Maybe the fact that she left out “God d- America” seemed newsworthy, given her religious background.

Ronnie on October 14, 2010 at 12:39 AM

They’ll be sorry soon to have unmuzzled her.

Schadenfreude on October 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM

It’s just standard “prayers for the president” rhetoric, isn’t it?

dirty spirits + prayer circles = clean spirits?
Yeah, it’s from Paul’s letter to the makers of ShamWow. Chapter 3, I believe.
Standard stuff.

Ronnie on October 14, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Yeah right I seem to remember Laura Bush praying for clean spirits. No?

Could it be that Michelle Antoilette has dabbled in witchcraft? With Bitch on a Broom Pelosi?

Dhuka on October 14, 2010 at 1:42 AM

Hmmm.

The Rev. Wright’s church must have included some ancestral worship as part of BLT.

jfshaughnessy on October 14, 2010 at 2:17 AM

You have it all wrong.

She’s talking about “clean spirits” in the form of pure and unadulterated liquor, which is very important.

Don’t settle for that Valu-Rite™ Vodka like they drink over at AoS – the stuff is distilled in lead radiators for extra kick.

While you’re at it, you could pray for some “clean spirits” for me, too – and thanks in advance!

Adjoran on October 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM

Ronnie on October 14, 2010 at 12:52 AM

Adjoran on October 14, 2010 at 3:40 AM

You’re killin’ me!

Christianity discusses “unclean spirits”, but never have I heard of “clean spirits”. That’s all kind of crazy.

Could it be some sort of Islam thing?

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Sounds like Santera

Otherwise, she seems to be talking about

1. keeping good Spirit company, like Casper and Wendy
2. keeping the Holy Spirit in us from messing up
3. keeping the spirits ‘clean around you’ as in
“the water was clean around my ankles before I jumped out of the stream”

First Lady’s statement made as much sense as Nancy Pelosi talking about the Word,

you know “my favorite word is the Word, is the Word…

isn’t it a beautiful word, when you think of it? … just covers everything, …we know it means the Word was made flesh and it dwelt among-gust us

…it will come again, so we have to make sure we’re prepared to answer in this life or otherwise as to how we have measured up…”

It came to Jerusalem and the Romans killed It

Considering these may be the two most powerful females in America, I can understand the lure of atheism. Most atheists arrive at atheist after some thought, while many religious arrive at religiosity after testing the wind

entagor on October 14, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Oh Michelle.

Shave your arm pits and tell you mom to quit the voodoo (killing chickens) in the White House.

BowHuntingTexas on October 14, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Could it be some sort of Islam thing?
Aslans Girl on October 14, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Michelle Obama’s college degree was in African Studies. The Black Liberation Theology of Nation of Islam and Trinity Church mix Christian, Islamic and tribal references in about equal measure.

These two people are not merely racist stereotypes. They are living, breathing charicatures, for whom skin color is more than just a religion – it is their entire world.

logis on October 14, 2010 at 5:46 AM

Well, this is the final bit of proof for me. The Obamas are a lot of things, but they’re not Christian.

By their fruits ye shall know them.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 14, 2010 at 5:53 AM

DrStock on October 13, 2010 at 10:11 PM

I dunno, I thought it was pretty funny last year to see her wearing her sleeveless dresses in 20-degree temps in January.

Woman must be seriously hard-up for some compliments if she’s willing to freeze herself to get ‘em!

AZCoyote on October 14, 2010 at 5:53 AM

A prayer to fail is still a prayer…so I guess Allah at least Rush’s prayer has been answered…

right2bright on October 14, 2010 at 6:54 AM

By their fruits ye shall know them.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 14, 2010 at 5:53 AM

Hence, Barney Frank…

right2bright on October 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM

Angels vs. Jinn, perhaps? I have no idea.

Logic on October 14, 2010 at 7:07 AM

“Keep the spirits clean around us”? Whatever that is, it isn’t Christian.

UnderstandingisPower on October 13, 2010 at 11:47 PM

It really isn’t at least not any denomination I’ve ever studied.

BrideOfRove on October 14, 2010 at 7:21 AM

Has this woman ever actually opened a Bible?

oldleprechaun on October 14, 2010 at 7:27 AM

Michelle Obama is obviously not a Christian. The Holy Spirit does not need cleansing, and ‘other’ spirits are not of God. If she ever picked up a Bible she’d know this.

zoyclem on October 14, 2010 at 7:39 AM

allllaaaah akkkkkkbar.

And upon looking at the picture of Michelle (above) I keep having to try to forget that her backside (which we can not see) is as wide as the podium she is standing at…

albill on October 14, 2010 at 8:05 AM

Jinns?

Inanemergencydial on October 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM

“Keep the spirits clean around us” (Michelle Obama said).

Sounds more like voodoo.

Lourdes on October 14, 2010 at 8:14 AM

How do you ‘clean’ a spirit? This sounds really dopey to me.

lukespapa on October 13, 2010 at 9:21 PM

In Michelle’s case, it likely involves things like flying to Spain, spending a lot of money on lavish hotel rooms for “friends of the family,” eating a lot of lobster (there and everywhere else), vacations on a beach every third month at someone else’s expense, funding abortions and having some “people” grow some vegetables for her photo opportunities.

Clean!

But, yes, dopey it is.

Michelle Obama was the landing pew sitter for the Rev. Wright ‘church’ and by whom Barack Obama came to arrive there, too. So in MIchelle’s case, all her voodoo-religion ideas (“keep the spirits clean” and people forming “circles” around her and Barack, metaphysically so she’s referring) seem in-line with the same sort of voodoo, quasi religious junk that occurs at that “church”.

It’s not Christianity, whatever it may be otherwise, it’s not Christianity.

Lourdes on October 14, 2010 at 8:19 AM

zoyclem on October 14, 2010 at 7:39 AM

She’s giving it a good go as to “acting like a Christian,” only her performance is clearly a bad one. Her statements here are like one who is trying TO PERFORM BEING A CHRISTIAN but otherwise has no actual idea what that or ‘it’ is.

Lourdes on October 14, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I just don’t feel it.
This feels like pandering.
A pat on the head.

“You little people
With your silly prayer circles…
Keep voting four us…”

Haiku Guy on October 14, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Oh, those toned arms….

IronDioPriest on October 13, 2010 at 9:18 PM

Toned from lifting her fat ass out of chairs.

halfastro on October 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Witch ?

stenwin77 on October 14, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Transcript of the whole interview is here.

Nothing much else of note except the “fall harvest” is coming soon to her garden – complete with school kids to do the labor.

You know, we’re going to – we have a harvest coming up. And I’ll be pulling some greens. (Laughter.) Shoot, we’ve got some sweet potatoes in there. We’ve actually got pumpkins this time around. But, yes, we’ll be definitely – we’ve got a harvest going on where we’ll bring kids from local communities. They help us pull up the fall harvest. And I think we’re doing that in a couple of weeks.

And we’re going to definitely use some of that food for Thanksgiving dinner and some of the important occasions that we have here with the president and his many interesting guests because he tends to be busy too. So, yes, we’re making great use out of that garden.

Brat on October 14, 2010 at 9:08 AM

She meant to say a right spirit, but couldn’t manage to say the word right in connection with her leftie husband. She must have slept thru the Rev’s sermons for 20 year, too.

Kissmygrits on October 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Seems like lots of folks are refudiating her statement.

rbj on October 14, 2010 at 9:51 AM

This is the obamas way of trashing the American presidency

like spiteful forclosed homeowners who trash the house before leaving

Sonosam on October 14, 2010 at 9:56 AM

I think it’s unseemly of you to proselytize for your nofaith, Allah!

Alana on October 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Dirty spirits sounds like the time we broke a bottle of Everclear in the 5 gallon bucket we were mixing up the “out to lunch punch” in the barracks after we came back off deployment, drank it anyway, just strained it through our teeth and spit out the glass shards. Aint no thang, we’re Marines.

Alden Pyle on October 14, 2010 at 10:21 AM

I should say,”kicked out”.

Sonosam on October 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM

terryannonline on October 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM

It’s a hard deal sometimes, to pray for someone you know is nothing but a worthless liar.
But then, I pray for all kinds of people like that, too.
I pray for understanding too bcs I just don’t understand these people.

Badger40 on October 13, 2010 at 9:33 PM

I pray for him nearly every night. I pray for the safety of him and his family. I also pray that he will speak his true thoughts.

The more he does of the latter, the better.

Alana on October 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Um, newsflash: sometimes the answer to a prayer is a booming “No.”

This “keep the spirits clean around us” sounds like voodoo terminology to me. Hmmm… now, what did I hear about voodoo in the White house…?

Akzed on October 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Not if more people understood The Silence of God in this age.

mankai on October 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM

The more he does of the latter, the better.

Alana on October 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I usually say something trite like that he’ll make “good and wise decisions” which isn’t happening… must be all the dirty spirits surrounding him.

petunia on October 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Rocky: Eeny, meeny, chilli beany, the spirits are about to speak!

Bullwinkle: Are they friendly spirits?

Rocky: Friendly?! Just listen!

[cut to commercial]

disa on October 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Sweet, here is the you tube clip.

mechkiller_k on October 14, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Not if more people understood The Silence of God in this age.

mankai on October 14, 2010 at 10:37 AM

If one has ears to hear, Heavenly Father is anything but silent! Pray, he is listening.

petunia on October 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM

petunia on October 14, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Hearing and doing are two different things.

;)

mankai on October 14, 2010 at 10:50 AM

This “keep the spirits clean around us” sounds like voodoo terminology to me…..

Akzed on October 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM

How could I forget to load this from Godsmack?

mechkiller_k on October 14, 2010 at 10:57 AM

It’s no worse than Palin saying she’ll listen to what God is telling her to do regarding the presidency. Didn’t stop liberals from hyperventilating about it.

Esthier on October 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM

The reference to clean spirits is part of the bastardized version of catholicism/Christianity practiced in Africa, which incorporates the local pagan practices. I believe that’s called syncretism. Not surprising, considering the “pastor” they were taught by for 20 years.

Mommynator on October 14, 2010 at 11:34 AM

She is saying this from the paranoid view that she and her husband are surrounded by evil people who seek to hurt or humiliate them because they are black. Her world-view has probably been race-grievance-driven for her whole life, so to her it seems a perfectly natural turn of phrase.

Neither she nor Barack have had the experience of succeeding on their merits – to them success has always been given, and if not given, it is a take-away. Sadly, I think this results in a person who is in many senses a “slave” to others.

drunyan8315 on October 14, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I wasn’t aware you could convert someone to believing in nothing.

JavelinaBomb on October 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM

“Sapientia prima stultitia caruisse.”
–Horace

hicsuget on October 14, 2010 at 1:43 PM

In that still fram for the video….the FLOTUS looks like she’s got the arms of a man. I wonder if Obama did a nut check before the vows or after.

Rattl3r on October 14, 2010 at 2:47 PM

“I have the cleanest f***ing spirit in this administration.”

-Joe Biden

labrat on October 14, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Arise chicken! Chicken arise!

SirGawain on October 13, 2010 at 9:40 PM

If you haven’t already, you have got to see “The Gamers: Dorkness Rising”, a low-budget (but surprisingly funny) movie about D & D gamers.

There’s one scene where the party is sitting around a campfire and (I kid you not) one of the players passes a note to the DM that says “I cast Raise Dead on the chicken.”

Hilarity ensues.

It’s available on NetFlix streaming.

VekTor on October 14, 2010 at 7:01 PM