Confirmed: Obama related to Palin, Limbaugh

posted at 5:46 pm on October 13, 2010 by Allahpundit

Imagine the family getting together for Thanksgiving. Imagine it.

The latest discovery from Ancestry.com shows that President Obama is related to conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh, one of his most vocal critics, as well as to frequent political opponent Sarah Palin.

Obama and Palin are 10th cousins, connected through their common ancestor John Smith. Obama and Limbaugh are 10th cousins, once removed, through common ancestor Richard Terrell.

Other political adversaries also share family ties – the study also found that Sen. Harry Reid, the Democratic majority leader in the Senate, is also related to Palin – as well as to conservative commentator Ann Coulter. All three are related through John Lathrop, who was exiled in 1634 to colonial Massachusetts after becoming a minister of an illegal independent church in England.

And a leadership gene clearly runs through Samuel Hinckley’s family, because Obama, Palin, and former president George W. Bush are all related through common ancestor Hinckley, who was among the first wave of settlers in America in the 1600s. Obama and Bush are 11th cousins; Palin and Bush are 11th cousins as well.

So Palin and Obama are related through two different ancestors? If we trace that back, we might finally isolate the gene for charisma. As a noted beta male, let me assure you: I’ll pay any price.

Actually, the funniest angle on this dopey story comes from reader Brian R, who turned it into a goof on Birthers. Here’s §338-18 of the Hawaiian Revised Statutes governing disclosure of personal records:

Disclosure of records. (a) To protect the integrity of vital statistics records, to ensure their proper use, and to ensure the efficient and proper administration of the vital statistics system, it shall be unlawful for any person to permit inspection of, or to disclose information contained in vital statistics records, or to copy or issue a copy of all or part of any such record, except as authorized by this part or by rules adopted by the department of health.

(b) The department shall not permit inspection of public health statistics records, or issue a certified copy of any such record or part thereof, unless it is satisfied that the applicant has a direct and tangible interest in the record. The following persons shall be considered to have a direct and tangible interest in a public health statistics record:

(1) The registrant;

(2) The spouse of the registrant;

(3) A parent of the registrant;

(4) A descendant of the registrant;

(5) A person having a common ancestor with the registrant;

Dude — Rush can request the birth certificate.

Here he is today semi-jokingly disclaiming any familial ties to The One. Click the image to watch.

Comments

At another point in his show Rush was talking about Obama behaving a certain way and then added something like “I know, as his cousin I should be able to explain”.

KittyLowrey on October 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Hopefully this will encourage Obama to love his neighbor as himself.

Paul-Cincy on October 13, 2010 at 5:48 PM

If you go back far enough, aren’t we all related?

catmman on October 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

OT:So much for MTV trying to claim that the group was diverse

ConservativePartyNow on October 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Dude — Rush can request the birth certificate.

LOL – HEADS EXPLODES!

strictnein on October 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Allah:
One of your funniest posts in a while! I needed that (except for the spray on keyboard). Thanks. :)

chaswv on October 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

So, that’s one ancestor out of 1,024 on the 10th generation? C’mon.

If you go back far enough we are probably all desended from King David’s wives.

Oil Can on October 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

This is to funny. Even though Obama is half white, he seems to distance himself from that fact. He only seems to reference it, when it came to health care, and his mothers cancer, or to throw his grandmother under the bus, for her racism.

I’m betting Obama is having a harder time with this, than any of his *gasp* white relations who are so well known as well. LOL

capejasmine on October 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Oh, brother. And Mrs. Obama has MSNBC’s Tingles tingling again with her “When I campaign around the country, I think of all the little children I’ve met. And that’s what this election is about. The little children.”

Marcus on October 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Rush is going to totally make hay with this, guaranteed. It’s too hilarious not to.

If I were Rush, I’d offer to help out Obama’s half brother living in a shack in Kenya – say it’s because HE looks out for “family.”

Red Cloud on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I’d like to see Rush or Palin request the long-form certificate just to see what kinds of twists and turns Hawaii will pull to get out of it.

teke184 on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Gonna break the bad news to you guys, we all have a common ancestor somewhere down the line. We’re all related.

ButterflyDragon on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I have been amazed and amused at times to find out who I am related to. For example, my Father and Neil Armstrong were 3rd cousins. Somehow, the link to that famous person has no bearing on who I am, what I do, or how I am treated. Nor should it.

This is just another piece of trivial information chucked out by the left to try and sway a few people.

JohnTheBuilder on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Never did trust Limbaugh, no I didn’t.

Really, this proves how devious Obama is. Not only does he attack his enemies like Rove, he goes after his own family.

Man…

SteveMG on October 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Remember during the campaign it was revealed Obama is related to Dick Cheney? Obama mentioned it a couple times in what was supposed to be a humorous way but you could tell he didn’t like it, not even a little.

KittyLowrey on October 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

ButterflyDragon on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Not the lizard people. They aren’t related to any of us.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2010 at 5:55 PM

What I want to know is Obama related (via dna, not reported/recorded records) to Aunt Zetuni, and the half-brother in Kenya.

Or does the DNA show that Gramps Stanley Dunham, was the pappa, with a woman of color yet to be named, making Barak Obama Sr. a patsy and Stanley Ann the stand in momma?

That would make the whole back story of Barack Obama bogus, but would make him eligible to be POTUS; Note Well that the COLB lists: Barak Obama II, not Junior, the way a direct descendant would be.

Wander on October 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I think that if everyone on this blog digs far enough they too will discover that they are related to obama, Palin, Limbaugh, Cheney and a few million other people.

runner on October 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Dude — Rush can request the birth certificate.

Do IT!

the_nile on October 13, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Obama and Bush are 11th cousins

So after all their posturing in 2008, the Democrats just put another Bush in the White House?

malclave on October 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM

If I said he is the “white sheep” in the family, am I racist?

jbinnout on October 13, 2010 at 6:00 PM

capejasmine on October 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM

He doesn’t seem to give a tinker’s dam about the black half of his family, either. Except for his dead father, whom he can fashion into any idea he wants.

JeffWeimer on October 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM

We humans, all of us, are related from the beginning of our world. I hope my long, long, long, goes on and on, family history gives me the brain cells to know right from wrong what is happening to my country.
L

letget on October 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Hopefully this will encourage Obama to love his neighbor as himself.

I’m not sure any normal human could handle that much love…

karl9000 on October 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

If you go back far enough, aren’t we all related?

catmman on October 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

precisely…

that’s why this is just a palate cleanser…

jimver on October 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Obama = Racist Teabagger.

ronsfi on October 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM

letget:

Are you trying to get my birth certificate now?

chaswv on October 13, 2010 at 6:06 PM

So Obama is related to W. Bush, Palin, and Rush Limbaugh….what happend to Obama???

Cookies Mom on October 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Wander on October 13, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Wow. I’ve heard some wild from the birthers, but this is really out there.

JeffWeimer on October 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Now I’m going to have to do the ancestry thingy to find out if I’m related, too. If it’s Rush I’m related to, Hey, Rush, can you help a cuz out?

Kissmygrits on October 13, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Why is everyone so interested in distant cousins when Zippy isn’t so sure who his daddy is?

Cody1991 on October 13, 2010 at 6:15 PM

If Allah and I are related I’m suing.

Limerick on October 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Wow. I’ve heard some wild from the birthers, but this is really out there.

JeffWeimer on October 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Strike you as odd how detached he is from those two blood relatives of Barack Sr., when he wrote a book about Obama Sr.??? If he was closer to them, he could find out so much more about the Dreams FROM his father.

The Stanley Dunham theory comes from J. Cashill not me.

Wander on October 13, 2010 at 6:17 PM

If you go back far enough, aren’t we all related?

catmman on October 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Yes. Surprisingly, the common ancestor of *everyone on earth* probably lived within the last 2000 years: http://itotd.com/articles/226/most-recent-common-ancestors/. And the common ancestor of everyone of European descent probably lived within the past 500 years.

I’d guess 10th cousins is somewhere near the average for any two Americans.

tneloms on October 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

We are all related. It is just a matter of how far back.

esnap on October 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

“Obama related to Palin” . . . Oh God. Alex Jones is never, I repeat NEVER, going to shut his yap about this.

Ryan Anthony on October 13, 2010 at 6:24 PM

chaswv@6:06,
OMG, are you my long lost cousin! Lets get in touch for Thanksgiving dinner! I do a mean hungry man turkey dinner.
L

letget on October 13, 2010 at 6:25 PM

This is funneee.

Dr Evil on October 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Cookies Mom on October 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Well, it isn’t clear that he actually exists. He’s the Nowhere Man.

But if he wants to hang on to something, he could change his name again. A couple of ideas:

Barry Limbama

George Herbert Bushamba

Barry Soetero Palimbo

The possibilities are endless.

Cody1991 on October 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I’d guess 10th cousins is somewhere near the average for any two Americans.

tneloms on October 13, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Not if they are first generation Americans or newly naturalized.

Dr Evil on October 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Cookies Mom on October 13, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Pharmaceuticals

Oil Can on October 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM

The 7 bloodlines that rule the world!!!

The Vatican is to blame!!

portlandon on October 13, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Very interesting that now he’s become widely perceived as a failure, the campaign to emphasize just how white Barack really is begins.*SNORT*

leilani on October 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I think it’s neat, tracing ancestry. My favorite distant relation is Pope John Paul II, he was my maternal grandfather’s second cousin. Most of my family didn’t hop onto the boats over here until fairly recently, but it’s neat to think of who else I’d be remotely related to.

I too think Rush should request the long form, just to tweak some feathers. After all, they’re family, and what else is family for? : )

Anna on October 13, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Of course, does all of this go out the window if Obama is, in fact, the child of Frank Marshall Davis?

I’m not saying he is… I’m saying IF.

VekTor on October 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM

This is about the stupidest thing I have ever heard!

By my rough calculation, this means they have 1 in 1024 ancestors in common. 1/2 to the 9th power. And that would be only if none of their ancestors ever ‘slept around’ if you know what I mean. Truly this is astoundingly dumb.

Luka on October 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

through common ancestor Richard Terrell

That would be Richmond Terrell.
This means I am related to Rush and Barack. You can pick your friends but……….

bopbottle on October 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

News flash! EVERYONE is related to EVERYONE else at some point in the past.

GarandFan on October 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Dude — Rush can request the birth certificate.

LOL Right on . . . Right on . . . Right on!

sisterchristian on October 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

How do they even know for sure that this ‘John Smith’ ever even had any children? Maybe he was sterile or impotent and his wife had a boy friend, maybe several. This is so dumb it makes my teeth hurt. Less than three weeks before a big election and this complete stupidity?

Luka on October 13, 2010 at 6:57 PM

“John Smith.” Sounds like a guy who checked into a motel under an assumed name. Obviously someone in the family tree slept around quite a bit, and I don’t mean George Washington.

manwithblackhat on October 13, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Wonder if any of them is related to Kevin Bacon?

Doodad Pro on October 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM

we all have a common ancestor somewhere down the line. We’re all related.

ButterflyDragon on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

I thought we were all just random mutations from the primordial ooze?

TugboatPhil on October 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM

Obama has white blood? Who knew?

Ronnie on October 13, 2010 at 7:41 PM

ButterflyDragon on October 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Ewww so we are all committing / have comitted incest !??!

Yeeccchhhh!

cableguy615 on October 13, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Didn’t the State of Hawaii get permission or authorization from their legislature to ignore any further inquiries from US citizens re JOTUS’s status? I read that somewhere…

slickwillie2001 on October 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Maybe NOW Obumba will produce the certificate?

Dingbat63 on October 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM

Obviously none of it rubbed off on him.

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Someone dig up Rod Serling, quick.

swash_plate on October 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Barry Limbama

George Herbert Bushamba

Barry Soetero Palimbo

The possibilities are endless.

Cody1991 on October 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM

hahahaha. Best 1 yet.

What about?
Barakush OLimbin
B. S. Hushbaugh
Barry Hudssein Palobamotero

But I concede, your’s are much better and a +100K for originality.

OkieDoc on October 13, 2010 at 9:55 PM

“Woke up this morning to find out my 10th cousin lives in a hut.” Rush Limaugh — Too funny!

Lizzy on October 13, 2010 at 10:26 PM

So what!!! He’ll I’m related to the royal family of England, but it don’t mean
a damn thing!

Confederate on October 14, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I’m related to Obama too…. somewhere around Adam and Eve. ;)

itsspideyman on October 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM