Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on October 10, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Drop everything, folks, because it’s time once again to pick the Obamateurism of the Week!  We tend to think of this presidency as half-empty, and it often gets its signals crossed.  If you get impatient for the results of this poll, just remember that it took time to free the slaves, too — and if you try to make sense out of that argument, don’t be surprised if we cut you off.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Got an  Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the  Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

I went with freeing the slaves. He has not intention of freeing the slaves, er taxpayers.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM

raising taxes does lead to raised taxes, clearly that IVY league education is shining through.

rob verdi on October 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM

No one can question the Leftist Narrative, for I am the Wizard of Obawma.

NaCly dog on October 10, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Now that I think about, Obama’s attack on the Chamber of Commerce based on a blog posting from a left wing site should have made the list and won for the week.

rob verdi on October 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Tough tough choices again this week, Ed.

I went with cutting off the guys mike when he starts getting close to the thinnest of skins. Mark of a tyrant—shutting down the voice of the people.

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Cutting off the microphone……

Heaven forbid that a lowly citizen business owner, taxpayer idiot makes more sense than he does.

Wouldn’t want to let that get out.

tru2tx on October 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

opted for cutting off the mike….he can’t handle the truth…it’s all about the O, and he is ALWAYS right

cmsinaz on October 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

but also, “it took time to free the slaves” comment is certainly worthy of some in-depth analysis on the conflation of Lincoln, abolition of slavery, similarities (as well as stark differences) between these two presidencies, and logical fallacies that his 0neness commits weekly.

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

It took time to free the slaves — it will take time to enslave (taxpayers)them too ..

wheels on October 10, 2010 at 9:10 AM

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 9:08 AM

That would be a very deep discussion indeed. ZZzzzzzzzzz.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Cutting off the mike is an amateur move. By now a president should be able to handle the tough questions from voters.

myrenovations on October 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Cutting off the mike.

Can’t wait for our opportunity to return the “favor”

VelvetElvis on October 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM

The slave comment was as ridiculous as it was inflammatory. It was immature and a perfect example of Øbama’s idiocy.

I watched and listened to the “mic” video. He cut the guy off to answer his question. I am not defending him; I despise the man. It was rude and hauty but it wasn’t an infringement on his right to speak. I think that one was a stretch.

keebs on October 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I have to go with the Seal. I like to think of it as symbolic and prophetic.

jeanie on October 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I went with “slaves,” because I assumed a flunky cut off the mike.

(Although the flunky no doubt assumed Obama would have wanted him to cut off the mike.)

Wethal on October 10, 2010 at 9:18 AM

The Seal falling off is Shakespearean.

Cutting off microphone when pressed is not amateurish, but fascist.

Don’t forget the speech on Oct 7, when he urged those in attendance to vote: Don’t make me look bad.

bayview on October 10, 2010 at 9:28 AM

The seal wasn’t his fault. He didn’t cut off the mike. That leaves three decent choices. I picked taxes because it is an example of how he still thinks we are too stupid to analyze everything he is saying and cut through his lies and obfuscations.

csdeven on October 10, 2010 at 9:29 AM

“SILENCE KNAVE….now uhhhhhmmmm ahhh errrrr let me be clear”

NY Conservative on October 10, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Cuts off microphone gets my vote hands down….
This man has no feelings for the citizen other than disdain and anger.

Keemo on October 10, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Wow, I missed the microphone thing. That’s terrible and therefore my choice amongst many worthy candidates.

Y-not on October 10, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Cutting off the mike.

Can’t wait for our opportunity to return the “favor”

VelvetElvis on October 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I can’t wait for the investigations into Obama’s campaign fund raising to reveal exactly who the puppet masters are.

Keemo on October 10, 2010 at 9:47 AM

I had to go with the seal…

After all, it was historic!

(and I doubt it will EVER happen again for ANY president)

(and it had a certain karma feel to it, no matter how he recovered)

golfmann on October 10, 2010 at 9:49 AM

sorry Ed. I hadta vote twice for the mike….I just wanted to see the results. My apologies if the lefties deride the poll as unscientific, I was just doing as any good “Democrat” voter does….voting early…and often.

cheers

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Cutting off the microphone. Absolutely. We can’t have the lower level citizenry engaging da’ Won in a conversation way over da’ Won’s competency level. (How’d that guy get in there, anyway?)

BetseyRoss on October 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM

cheers

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 9:51 AM

heh…love it :)

cmsinaz on October 10, 2010 at 9:54 AM

NoStoppingUs doesn’t like the Tea party.

Or something…

Inanemergencydial on October 10, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Twenty-three days from now, we can begin to free the slaves. This second go round is likely to be just as tough. There are a lot more slaves to free.

GnuBreed on October 10, 2010 at 9:56 AM

“It took time to free the slaves.”

…says the man doing everything he can to enslave Americans to government.

Baxter Greene on October 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM

…says the man doing everything he can to enslave Americans to government.

Baxter Greene on October 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Excellent point….

Keemo on October 10, 2010 at 10:04 AM

As crazy as we think Obama acts now, I have to believe we haven’t seen anything yet. This may be the first time he will have experienced rejection.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Cutting off the mike was a perfect example of
“shut up, he explained” in action.

I coule see Pelosi and Reed using this tactic too.

mad scientist on October 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

It’s too bad the tax questioner didn’t use the word “jack@ss”, we might have seen a full meltdown on-camera.

mad scientist on October 10, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Because you made it sound so funny in this line, Ed, I had to go with the slave thing. It was my first good laugh of the morning. Great sense of humor! Thanks.

Gang-of-One on October 10, 2010 at 10:10 AM

“It took time to free the slaves.” Race-baiting cracker. OK I shouldn’t have said that.

Paul-Cincy on October 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM

heh. I missed that line in my 1st read through—nice. BTW, there should be an end of year poll on both the Ed-ism and Allahpundit-isms that have resulted in sheer thread hilarity this year, IMO.

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM

The thing with “It took time to free the slaves” is it is so superior, grandiose and condescending. As if his objectives rise to that level. And as if his detractors want to enslave and denigrate other human beings. He might as well compare himself to the Messiah.

Paul-Cincy on October 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I could see Pelosi and Reed using this tactic too.

mad scientist on October 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

They’re going to have to hurry, both are running out of time to be omnipotent.

Tommy_G on October 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Cutting off the microphone.

I had missed that post and of course didn’t hear about it from the MFM.

aikidoka on October 10, 2010 at 10:21 AM

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 10:16 AM

No biggy, just do the Ed Shultz thing and pull the lever again–you have 8 votes left.

Gang-of-One on October 10, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I voted for the slaves comment. With his propensity to rig his townhall meetings, cutting the mic off was not surprising. Shallow, but not surprising. Party like it’s 1894!

kingsjester on October 10, 2010 at 10:26 AM

The Seal falling off is Shakespearean.

The karmic consequences are great and the future has been foretold……a sign , my lord…..a sign….

DeweyWins on October 10, 2010 at 10:28 AM

ted c on October 10, 2010 at 9:06 AM

But is this the mark of an amateur? This is something a “professional” politician (or tyrant) would do. No doubt, this is certainly the most serious of the four Obamateurisms.

But I went with the “higher taxes signals higher taxes”. Yet another example of an inexperienced manager/leader.

Pazman on October 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM

myrenovations on October 10, 2010 at 9:12 AM

What’s truly embarrassing is the voters have to ask the tough questions because the White House press corps, (almost all of them), are afraid to.

Rovin on October 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

The Seal falling off is Shakespearean.

Even SNL is making fun of the incident. They said that it fell two years too early. :)

El Coqui on October 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Cutting off a guys mike when he’s seeking an answer to a legitimate question is not just an OOTD, it’s an outrage. Just another example of Mr. President’s elitism and failure to identify with middle class Americans. I’m hoping these kinds of actions on his part are going to ensure he doesn’t sit in his throne for more than one term.

scalleywag on October 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Rovin on October 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

2nd that…pathetic

cmsinaz on October 10, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Rovin on October 10, 2010 at 10:37 AM

You got that right, they’re a bunch of boot licking pantywaists.

scalleywag on October 10, 2010 at 10:43 AM

He might as well compare himself to the Messiah.

Paul-Cincy on October 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I’ve always had the impression that he does. Many of his much loved campaign speeches left me queasy and I don’t think the loss of Congress (keeping good thoughts) is going to sit well.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I chose cut off the mike as first and slaves as second. Cutting off the mike shows that President Jackass is a petulant, thin-skinned, arrogant, dictatorial jerk who thinks we are a nation of small-minded rubes. Typical Maobama.

Philly on October 10, 2010 at 11:00 AM

OT: ‘recovery summer’

cmsinaz on October 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Showing some frustration, Obama said, “Your taxes haven’t gone up in this administration. Your taxes have gone down in this administration. There’s a notion that, well, he’s a Democrat so your taxes must have gone up. That’s just not true.”

What an a$$hat. That’s like me telling my wife: “I’ve just bought a new room of furniture..it didn’t cost us anything. I put it on our credit card!”

visions on October 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM

“We tend to look at the glass as half-empty.”

This should be on the end of every letter coming out of this administration. Obama Letter Head At The Top, and signing with this reminder “We tend to look at the glass as half-empty.”

American Prosperity? Not on Obama’s watch.

Dr Evil on October 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM

El Coqui on October 10, 2010 at 10:40 AM

That was one of the few passable lines of SNL this week.

They also had a new comic, young black kid, that did a drop-dead impersonation of actor Denzel Washington. If they are smart they will work him into a more enthusiastic ‘Obama’ than Armisen can manage.

By the way, can you believe they haven’t done a takeoff on Al Gore’s massage yet?

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM

“Because we welcome diverse opinions and discussion, shut up!”

Crusader Rabbit on October 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM

visions on October 10, 2010 at 11:05 AM

You know that old joke. as long as you still have checks. you can’t be broke….Obama doesn’t know it’s a joke ;)

Dr Evil on October 10, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Paul-Cincy on October 10, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Ditto that. No complaints here. He is what he is.

GrannyDee on October 10, 2010 at 11:13 AM

“Did I cut off someone’s mike? I was actually trying to turn up their volume. Next question.”

profitsbeard on October 10, 2010 at 11:20 AM

I went with the seal, but only because I photoshopped it.

BKeyser on October 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Why wasn’t the whining about “foreign money” a poll choice? THAT will end up being the biggest one from this week since it opens the door back up on his financing from 2008.

teke184 on October 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM

BKeyser on October 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

heh

good one :)

cmsinaz on October 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM

teke184 on October 10, 2010 at 11:24 AM

no worries, it will show up next sunday, guaranteed

cmsinaz on October 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM

He might as well compare himself to the Messiah.

Paul-Cincy on October 10, 2010 at 10:20 AM

I’ve always had the impression that he does.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Obama June 3, 2008 St. Paul, MN (on clinching the Dem nomination)
“… we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal”.

Matthew 8:16
When evening came, people brought to him many who were possessed by demons. He drove out the spirits by speaking a command and healed everyone who was sick.

Matthew 8:19
Then a teacher of the law came to him and said, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go”

Matthew 8:26-27
He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
The disciples were amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked. “Even the winds and waves obey him!”

Paul-Cincy on October 10, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I went with the seal, but only because I photoshopped it.

BKeyser on October 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

That’s one cool photoshop job. Great imagination!

Gang-of-One on October 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM

I think it’s odd for him to have his arm across the back of Pelosi’s chair. Ick.

catwrangler on October 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Totally agree w/ this. Narcissists do NOT take opposition well. His renowned “cool” is cracking and the narcissistic rage underneath will certainly come unmasked, and it won’t be pretty. Can’t wait.

inviolet on October 10, 2010 at 12:37 PM

BKeyser on October 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Very clever.

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 1:00 PM

The petulant little thug having the microphone cut off in public when inconvenient questioning occurs was not only amateurish in it’s on right, it put a very public face on the fact that this child is, and always has been, unprepared for the presidency. It’s too bad 52% of the voters in 2008 wouldn’t exert a bare minimum of curiousity in order to figure this out for themselves.

ya2daup on October 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I have to go with the Seal. I like to think of it as symbolic and prophetic.

jeanie on October 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Ditto… Everything else is just a standard action of this abomination, I mean administration.

WhoU4 on October 10, 2010 at 1:04 PM

We tend to look at the glass President as half-empty half-assed.

ya2daup on October 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Barry has experienced electoral defeat before. In Illinois, he ran for a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, and lost, before running (and winning) for U.S. Senate (after he got the other primary candidates disqualified, and then got his general election candidate’s embarrassing and court-sealed divorce records unsealed and published in the local paper).

Barry didn’t become the official phenom of the Democratic party until he gave a speech at the 2004 Dem National Convention, and the MSM fell deeply in love. Up to that point, he had been an undistinguished and uninspiring candidate.

AZCoyote on October 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Cindy Munford on October 10, 2010 at 10:05 AM

In fact because Bammie benefited his entire life from a program referred to by the first letter of the alphabet twice, rejection was not allowed. No matter how poor or absent his work in college was, he was praised because he was black.

In his trivial legal career as a lawyer, others in the office said that he spent much of his time in his office with his feet up, working on ‘his’ book. Again, he could do no wrong.

slickwillie2001 on October 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Went with cutting off the mike–insulting beyond words.
“Taxes” and “slaves”– just expectly stupid.
Does it seem to anyone else that he got the “glass half empty” analogy backward?Wouldn’t “half full” be more appropriate in context?

DDT on October 10, 2010 at 1:58 PM

Oh come on, you Hot Airites. The ‘glass half-empty’ is going to be the Obamateurism of the decade.

percysunshine on October 10, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Obama could have requested that the microphone be turned back on ‘because this is important’ or equivalent reason.

The microphone stayed off because he and/or his advisors knew his answers would be weak and amateurish.

alice on October 10, 2010 at 2:20 PM

I went with the seal, but only because I photoshopped it.
BKeyser on October 10, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Okay, that was really cute. I want one of those…

Fallon on October 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM

The mic. Not only amateurish but petty as well. Which pretty much sums up the Obama presidency, petty and amateurish.

jdkchem on October 10, 2010 at 3:01 PM

“Cuts off microphone when questioner starts debating tax policies” is clearly the winner.

Nothing says “if you don’t like my view on the matter, then shut the hell up!” than what happened here.

pilamaye on October 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM

A president that holds campaign rallies and refuses to listen to anyone that dares to dissent is the absolute winner.

katablog.com on October 10, 2010 at 4:20 PM

but petty as well.

Like giving your opponents the finger?

katablog.com on October 10, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Wouldn’t “half full” be more appropriate in context?

Not for a Democrat!

katablog.com on October 10, 2010 at 4:22 PM

All those empty glasses in that picture make it look like they’ve been drinking lots of slurpies while they spend our kids’ and grandkids’ money.

pedestrian on October 10, 2010 at 4:54 PM

The seal falling off was just too funny. Who says Freudian Slips aren’t real? (and that they only involve people speaking?)

Actually, that makes me wonder what he was saying when it fell off?

Pablo Snooze on October 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM