Video: The heart of the Tea Party movement

posted at 2:00 pm on October 9, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Bill Whittle calls this “What We Believe, Part 1.”  It’s difficult to know what he’s left over for Part 2.  Bill gives as concise a description of the philosophy and policy aims of the Tea Party movement and modern conservatism in general as anything I’ve seen, at least recently, in the first five minutes of this video.  In the second half, Bill hits on the key concept why conservatives support private-sector entities over the government, which is the difference between voluntary and compulsory association.

This is more valuable because of Bill’s soft-spoken approach, too. He calmly walks through the arguments that often get fire-and-brimstone treatment, leavening the message with humor as well. Nice work, and we’re going to be seeing more from Bill in the days ahead.

Comments

The guys obviously a h8er.\

pain train on October 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

The US is exceptional, it is great because it’s free. Without that, we’re ordinary.

Paul-Cincy on October 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Bill Whittle…

The most underexposed brilliant pundit on the planet!

Not to mention he’s really cute!

katy on October 9, 2010 at 2:07 PM

I’ve been a fan of Bill’s for almost a decade now, it seems. In the “long form,” he is the single most articulate voice on Our Side.

His approach is that of the scalpel, rather than the broadsword. Very effective.

Russ on October 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM

10 minutes? Really?

Someone wake Allah up.

NoStoppingUs on October 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Two Thumbs Up

*****

5-Stars!

Saltysam on October 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM

We will never limit the power of government until the government is pried away from giant corporations and Wall Street.

We will never limit the power of government until the tax code is reformed.

Without an objective referee enforcing minimal regulation on an even playing field all the points of Bills video if great theory, but not much else.

rickyricardo on October 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Excellent job,well said,and that is the truth!!

Common Sense/2010-2012!

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:16 PM

OMG RACISTS!

Khorum on October 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Two Thumbs Up

*****

5-Stars!

Saltysam on October 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM

SaltySam:U-Betcha:)

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Excellent information, delivered excellently. We all should share this with our friends and family who still don’t “get it”.

CliffHanger on October 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

This is brilliant! …Except for

current political class of both parties

…the obligatory equating of the socialist/Democrats & the party trying to stop them, in order to appear fair.

itsnotaboutme on October 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

There is no way in hell socialism is going to survive in this country.

There are too many intelligent, well informed, patriots to ever EVER let it consume us.

Let the fight begin!

katy on October 9, 2010 at 2:20 PM

Great video. Simple concepts explained simply.

darwin on October 9, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Excellent video.

ladyingray on October 9, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I don’t understand folks who complain about how corrupt the govt is, & then vote for people who’ll make the govt more powerful.

itsnotaboutme on October 9, 2010 at 2:26 PM

According to my lefty friends and family, the Tea Party exists to keep gays from marrying and to encourage Islamophobia (ignoring the irony that under Islamic rule, gays would live long enough to file for the marriage license).

mankai on October 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

New Ad I think!!
===================================

Are You Listening!

Saturday, October 9, 2010
Democrat Bastions Besieged by GOP

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

wouldn’t live long enough”

fifm

mankai on October 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Thanks for the link!

ladyingray on October 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Russ on October 9, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Yep, me too.

In fact, I’m blog-old enough to remember when Whittle was linked by Charlie J. over at some place called Little Green Footballs, Andrew Sullivan, and some guy almost never to be seen again named Steven Den Beste.

Purple Fury on October 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Paul-Cincy on October 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Free, with honest police and honest judges. Many countries have lots of freedom, including the freedom to buy the trial verdict you want. So, an honest justice system is just as important. Otherwise, you just have the freedom of chaos.

RBMN on October 9, 2010 at 2:43 PM

This is so very well done. Thanks for posting!

chaswv on October 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

This fits in with the Tea Party topic!!
Re:Spitting event,that never happened,I
do love the way,they handle the MSM!
======================================================

Reporters vs. Conservative Black Leaders at Press Conference 8 4 2010

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Glad he mentioned the interactivity of dealing with the government concerning jury duty. Registering to vote,voting, serving in the military and serving jury duty are four of the most common privileges I believe honor bound citizens can do for the good of our country.

fourdeucer on October 9, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Why is this man not running for public office?
Bill, you give the most cogent, compact, eloquent distillation of HOW THINGS ARE out there today. I’ve read your stuff for years and you have become more concise and pointed in your observations. Your essays have always been on point and hard hitting but in print were long winded and filled with personal anecdote that an “educated liberal” would laugh off as meaningless. You lately seem to have a new urgency that these times demand.
We have a year or two to change the trajectory of our history. Do we have the wherewithal to do it?
We will find out soon.
Your urgency seems to recogcnize that.

Sefton on October 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Actually, the heart of teh tea party could be summed up by George Carlin’s “My Stuff” routine.

bloghooligan on October 9, 2010 at 2:59 PM

At first I didn’t care for Bill on PJTV…then he was OK….then…he is a wee bit smatter then I originally thought…then I began to look forward to his video presentations like aftereburner…then I realized I became a fan…if he writes his own material, he’s brillent! I look forward to his videos just like I look forward to reading Charles Krauthasmmer’s articles. He is sooooo under-rated.

hoi polloi on October 9, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Those 4 communist heads made me shudder.

The narator is superb.

Viva Cuba libre!

Schadenfreude on October 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Reporters vs. Conservative Black Leaders at Press Conference 8 4 2010

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Too fabulous!! Must see video!!

College Prof on October 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Obama and his economy staff never even ran a lemonade stand.

Schadenfreude on October 9, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Bill Whittle is a national treasure.

Thanks Ed.

USCitizen on October 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Speaking of tyranny and free enterprise, can someone explain to me why if I buy a smart phone, I have to pay $30 data transfer fee – even if I don’t want it or use it? I can use the smart phone features anywhere I need to by connecting to wifi. But I still HAVE to pay the $30 fee. Infrastructure costs are bull – there is plenty of infrastructure built now.

Mr_Magoo on October 9, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Ed, you state: “It’s difficult to know what he’s left over for Part 2.” However Mr. Wittle hinted that in part II he was going to deal the the “calculation” problem that no socialist has been able to overcome. I am looking forward to the next installment.

MenoLawyer on October 9, 2010 at 5:02 PM

rickyricardo on October 9, 2010 at 2:15 PM

We, the people are that objective, honest and ultimate referee or did you miss that in our Constitution?

Caststeel on October 9, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Here
is my introduction to Bill Whittle. Enjoy.

Caststeel on October 9, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Whittle is one of my favorite commentators on PJTV.

irishspy on October 9, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I would just take issue with the idea that ineradicable self-interest is the foundation of conservative political theory. There’s the more positive and attractive basic idea concerning the dignity and autonomy of every individual which the state should always respect.

karlant on October 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Awesome Bill! He’s the reason I am a paid member at PJTV. I wish we could take every single idiotic, naive, childish liberal in the country, tie them to a chair and tape open their eyes and show them EVERY video Bill Whittle has made.

blueknight99 on October 9, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Wish there was a way to get this to the masses…unfortunately…not gonna happen.

winston on October 9, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I posted it to Facebook. Sadly, though, my liberal friends, you know the open-minded folks, won’t watch it….of that I’m 90% sure. But I felt I had to try anyway.

4Freedom on October 9, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Thanks for posting that, Ed. What an outstanding video calmly and preciously describing the tea party movement.

Now excuse me while I go to my tea party meeting and kick a puppy, throw an old person into traffic, and burn a cross. /s

simkeith on October 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM

we’re going to be seeing more from Bill in the days ahead.

Oh heck yeah! Bill “Eject, Eject, Eject” Whittle is logic in motion! Love reading his essays!

Texas Gal on October 9, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Nice work, and we’re going to be seeing more from Bill in the days ahead.

Hinting?

petefrt on October 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Bill Whittle 2012

mizflame98 on October 9, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Nice work, and we’re going to be seeing more from Bill in the days ahead.

Hinting?

Linking

Knott Buyinit on October 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

This is brilliant! …Except for the obligatory equating of the socialist/Democrats & the party trying to stop them, in order to appear fair.

itsnotaboutme on October 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Don’t put words in his mouth — you’re obviously ill-equipped. He did not “equate” the two parties. He said:

“Many modern people see this belief that we have — that human nature is fundamentally flawed and selfish and essentially unchangeable — as cynical and pessimistic. On the contrary, it is this belief that generates a society with the checks and balances against the natural human bastardlyness that basically wants to tell other people what to do.

These checks and balances prevent the accumulation of too much power in the hands of too few people. And that defiance of these checks and balances by the current political class of both parties is the real threat that the Tea Party is a response to.”

He is saying that “natural human bastardlyness” is a human characteristic, not limited to either party.

Do you really want to argue with that? Or are you a true-blue (i.e., utterly blind and deaf) supporter of anyone and everyone with an ‘R’ next to their name?

Splashman on October 9, 2010 at 8:24 PM

It is very encouraging to see Whittle’s video(s) circulating the web. Thanks for posting it here.

heroyalwhyness on October 9, 2010 at 8:30 PM

karlant on October 9, 2010 at 5:31 PM

You’re not thinking clearly.

Conservative political theory takes into account a fact of nature: humans are flawed, and motivated primarily by self-interest. When this fact of nature is ignored or wished away, dignity and autonomy are degraded.

For instance, the notion of Welfare (and all other government handouts) for people able to work, is bad, because self-interest dictates that it’s easier to sit on your butt than get a job. Therefore, we can reasonably expect that such well-intentioned government programs will, on an individual level, degrade a person’s dignity by reducing their autonomy and making them a ward of the state.

Splashman on October 9, 2010 at 8:42 PM

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 2:48 PM
=====================================
Too fabulous!! Must see video!!

College Prof on October 9, 2010 at 3:56 PM

College Prof:)

canopfor on October 9, 2010 at 8:44 PM

Fantastic video! Looking forward to the next one.

FloatingRock on October 9, 2010 at 8:49 PM

It would be great if some entity of the Tea party could afford to segment this into several TV spots and give it more exposure. If I were wealthy enough I’d do it…. Of course, if I were that wealthy I probably wouldn’t be typing this right now because I’d have something more interesting to do.

FloatingRock on October 9, 2010 at 9:48 PM

This is brilliant! …Except for

current political class of both parties

itsnotaboutme on October 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

If the R’s had actually been attempting to stop them over the past decade, there would have been no need for the Tea Party.

hindmost on October 9, 2010 at 11:53 PM

Bill does a lot of good work. But pursuing self-interest is not a flaw of human nature.

AshleyTKing on October 10, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Excellent! Take note: no mention of abortion, no mention of gay marriage, no mention of prayer in school, no mention of any of the so-called So-Con erogenous zones. This is the winning message!!

MJBrutus on October 10, 2010 at 7:24 AM

@mankai
Hang in there !! I know what it means to have lefty friends – some of them can drive you nuts… very difficult to argue with them using logic, reason.. they are emotional and always come back with “Republithugs are eviiiil and Govmint is teh protector of the poor people”

Worse, they think that they know better than anyone else and are consequentially insufferable.If they see Bill Whittle they will explode into volcanic incoherence.

nagee76 on October 10, 2010 at 10:38 AM

CliffHanger on October 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I put it on my Facebook page.

Very well done.