Bombshell: Nobel committee finally does something right

posted at 7:28 pm on October 8, 2010 by Allahpundit

We spent a solid week laughing at them over last year’s pick so it’s only fair to give credit where credit’s due. This is a superb choice, achieving precisely what this award should always strive to achieve — focusing global attention on someone who’s risked their life by confronting authoritarians on human rights.

Liu Xiaobo, an impassioned literary critic, political essayist and democracy advocate repeatedly jailed by the Chinese government for his activism, has won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of “his long and non-violent struggle for fundamental human rights in China.”…

By awarding the prize to Mr. Liu, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has provided an unmistakable rebuke to Beijing’s authoritarian leaders at a time of growing intolerance for domestic dissent and a spreading unease internationally over the muscular diplomacy that has accompanied China’s economic rise.

In a move that in retrospect appears to have been counterproductive, a senior Chinese official had warned the Norwegian committee’s secretary that giving the prize to Mr. Liu would adversely affect relations between the two countries…

The prize is an enormous psychological boost for China’s beleaguered reform movement and an affirmation of the two decades Mr. Liu has spent advocating peaceful political change in the face of unremitting hostility from the ruling Chinese Communist Party. Blacklisted from academia and barred from publishing in China, Mr. Liu has been harassed and detained repeatedly since 1989, when he stepped into the drama playing out on Tiananmen Square by staging a hunger strike and then negotiating the peaceful retreat of student demonstrators as thousands of soldiers stood by with rifles drawn.

The news has been almost completely blacked out in China (some Internet message boards managed to carry it) and his wife’s already been removed from her home by Chinese police in order to keep her away from the media. Nonetheless, Obama released a statement this afternoon calling on China to release Liu, which, given the ChiComs’ ongoing tantrum since this morning, is a welcome gesture. Liu is best known for the Charter 08 manifesto demanding greater freedom for Chinese citizens, but if you have a few minutes and are eager to read more, I recommend this statement (via Reason) published late last year.

Ask me what has been my most fortunate experience of the past two decades, and I’d say it was gaining the selfless love of my wife, Liu Xia. She cannot be present in the courtroom today, but I still want to tell you, my sweetheart, that I’m confident that your love for me will be as always. Over the years, in my non-free life, our love has contained bitterness imposed by the external environment, but is boundless in afterthought. I am sentenced to a visible prison while you are waiting in an invisible one. Your love is sunlight that transcends prison walls and bars, stroking every inch of my skin, warming my every cell, letting me maintain my inner calm, magnanimous and bright, so that every minute in prison is full of meaning. But my love for you is full of guilt and regret, sometimes heavy enough hobble my steps. I am a hard stone in the wilderness, putting up with the pummeling of raging storms, and too cold for anyone to dare touch. But my love is hard, sharp, and can penetrate any obstacles. Even if I am crushed into powder, I will embrace you with the ashes.

Given your love, my sweetheart, I would face my forthcoming trial calmly, with no regrets about my choice and looking forward to tomorrow optimistically. I look forward to my country being a land of free expression, where all citizens’ speeches are treated the same; where, different values, ideas, beliefs, political views… both compete with each other and coexist peacefully; where, majority and minority opinions will be given equal guarantees, in particular, political views different from those in power will be fully respected and protected; where, all political views will be spread in the sunlight for the people to choose; all citizens will be able to express their political views without fear, and will never be politically persecuted for voicing dissent; I hope to be the last victim of China’s endless literary inquisition, and that after this no one else will ever be jailed for their speech.

Freedom of expression is the basis of human rights, the source of humanity and the mother of truth. To block freedom of speech is to trample on human rights, to strangle humanity and to suppress the truth.

Comments

Too bad they own him and they know it. They are laughing at Obama and have been since they saw in him what we see in him.

So, he’s no help to Liu. Because they know he won’t do anything about it and will probably be back soon telling sucking up to them and telling them that we (not him) are going to pay China all the money we owe them….if they just keep buying his worthless ObamaBucks.

AUINSC on October 8, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Mr. Liu, fighting the good fight, good for you sir.

fourdeucer on October 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Obama was hoping for a two-peat.

itsnotaboutme on October 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM

You’re right – excellent choice this year. But it’s too late for the Nobel committee. I’ll never take them seriously.

beatcanvas on October 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM

What, the Nobel Committee couldn’t find another savage to give it to, instead of someone who deserves it?

OldEnglish on October 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM

It doesn’t matter. The reputation of the Nobels was shot long ago. Even the Hard sciences aren’t exempt anymore. Getting one right once in awhile won’t make up for it.

Rocks on October 8, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Too bad they own him and they know it.

If they owned him – and us – he wouldn’t have made this statement. I applaud the President’s statement.

I wish people would stop this nonsense (as I see it) that China “owns” all of our debt. Or we are at their bidding.

Foreign nations own about $4 trillion of our debt. China owns about $850 billion of that (source: US Treasury).

Yes, that’s too much and they can do a lot of damage to us if they want. But it’s not a stranglehold and we still have the upper hand.

For how long is the question.

SteveMG on October 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

That award used to mean something. Then they gave it to someone who had done zilch to deserve it. I wonder if Mr. Liu realizes it’s just four Norwegian leftists pulling a name out of a hat?

Kafir on October 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Did Obama bow to the Chinese before, during, or after this gesture?

parke on October 8, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Obama’s Nobel award pales in comparison by several orders of magnitude.

Chip on October 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Obama’s selection will be remembered far from now as the most ridiculous un-deserving choice they’ve ever made.

Marcus on October 8, 2010 at 7:49 PM

SteveMG on October 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Really? You still think he is doing stuff like this on ‘principle’? RINOs always applaud Obama when he accidentally does something right (Psssst, it’s an election year and leftism ain’t selling so hot right now) Oh, yeah, you’re the dude who still believes in AGW too, right?

AUINSC on October 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM

Mr. Liu, fighting the good fight, good for you sir.
fourdeucer on October 8, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Yes, meanwhile a reprobate like Bill Ayers is “Free as a bird”, a sad commentary on the state of our world.

Chip on October 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM

A great choice. Too bad the Nobel Committee burned their credibility last year giving it to Obama.

I read at HillBuzz that The Simpsons joked in a recent episode about Obama winning last year. Krusty the Klown won a Nobel for doing…..nothing!

conservative pilgrim on October 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM

On one hand, I think, “good for the committee” but on the other hand I cannot help but feel they already pissed their credibility down their legs.

At the very least, he should have been named LAST YEAR.

StubbleSpark on October 8, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Congratulations 刘先生

DarkCurrent on October 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Still have Arafat, Gore, and Obama stuck in my throat. Truly awful picks.

Paul-Cincy on October 8, 2010 at 7:56 PM

The Nobel Peace prize stopped meaning anything when they gave it to a terrorist.

thekingtut on October 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM

The award has already proven to be the good one.

For once, he did something good. He failed Iran, Honduras, and so much more, but he woke up because he heard “Nobel”. If he has a smidgeon of functioning realistic brain cells he will realized how utterly empty his prize was.

When one reads the letter from Reason what the hell has Obama done or suffered for in his entire empty life? What on Earth was the committee thinking? How many more Liu Xiaobos were preemted by this empty-head, Obama? What a disaster that committee is, for world shame. That the world did not react with more indignation last year is a global travesty.

Mr. Liu Xiaobo fights and suffers for all of us, for the world’s liberty and freedom, predominantly for the shackled people of the world.

Media, you international fools, open your eyes and your wanting minds.

Liu Xiaobo, you Sir, are a hero for the living and the dead who have been killed for what you fight for.

Obama, you are an empty primadonna, a malicious fool, having done nothing worthwhile in all your life. What a pretender whom a once glorious country rewarded for his nihilism. What a stupid Nobel committee to put the crown on such an empty head.

Schadenfreude on October 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM

This guy does deserve it…I think they do this, from time to time to silence the critics. Yeah, Arafat, Gore, Obama…didn’t Carter get one too?

Obama is doing this to cover the ‘basic human decency’ angle only…thinks the GOP would make hay of it otherwise (and they would)…I’ll bet he’s already been on the line telling China he had to do this for ‘domestic reasons’, but he’s in their camp 100%.

Remember the total silence from this twit when during the Iranian uprising…remember Neda? Invited those Iranian bastards for hotdogs on July 4th….cudos my a$$.

AUINSC on October 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM

beatcanvas on October 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM

Dittos.

They are a hollow pathetic joke and will stay as such.

CPT. Charles on October 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM

This is absurd. Achievements aren’t supposed to count for the award if you’ve already done them.

RINO in Name Only on October 8, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I figured that since Barry got it last year for doing absolutely nothing that Biden was shoe in this year.

I mean, who has done less than Barry this year than Joe?

Jim708 on October 8, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Very impressive statement.

Good luck to him.

neandertal on October 8, 2010 at 8:17 PM

My first reaction was, what??? Did the Nobel committee finally wake up from a 30 year acid trip and award this to someone deserving. Obama, Gore, and Carter all got them for not being G.W. Bush. Murderous genocidal terrorists have received them (Arafat), Communist thugs (Le Duc Tho), “Partners in peace” (Henry Kissinger), and the list goes on. This prize is a joke, a sick joke.

simkeith on October 8, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Mr. Liu

Mr. Liu has earned far more than a Nobel Prize, he’s earned a place in history among the champions of freedom.

FloatingRock on October 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM

SteveMG on October 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Words are cheap. Acts are expensive. They own him because he believes we are their peer — that America is no more exceptional in the human rights forum than China.

The Chinese will be firing back any moment now about Arizona.

Heh.

unclesmrgol on October 8, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Thanks for including this awesome letter to his wife.

Buy Danish on October 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM

Dayum, he’s a Twihard…I swore I was reading a love letter from Edward Cullen to Bella Swan, and it covered all the books. I gotta say, I am still looking for my jaw; I dropped it when I read about that well-deserved Nobel peace prize.

ProudPalinFan on October 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM

This just in: Biden say he’ll except it for him, just as soon Biden can find Nobel on the map.

BruceB on October 8, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Did they give out the economics prize yet, PrezBo’s got a chance?

HotAirExpert on October 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM

So let’s take Obama’s Peace Prize and give it to another more-deserving Chinese recipient: Tank Man.

CaptainNed on October 8, 2010 at 10:18 PM

Obama, Gore, Arafat and other clowns are an indication of the jumped-sharkedness of the Nobels. It lessens the award for someone truly deserving as a result. Like glotard warming has made science double worthy of cynical skepticism or what steroids did for sports.

BL@KBIRD on October 8, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Don’t be surprised if Obama gives his back in protest.

profitsbeard on October 9, 2010 at 2:36 AM

I’ll say this much, I won’t be surprised if Barry repeats. However I expect them to wait until 2012 to give him his second one. Basically they’ll just be doing it as an endorsement for him and a second term. (Also so he can have ads that basically say “Hey stupid American, the Nobel people said vote for me.”) Given the way things are going he’s certainly going to need that endorsement.

Dave_d on October 9, 2010 at 8:03 AM

For how long is the question.

SteveMG on October 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM

I’m sorry, but they can’t do sh~t. We own them. We have the option of either not paying or paying with inflated dollars. They own us when we need to borrow more. That’s why we need to fix the budget deficit to be free, not necessarily the debt.

elfman on October 9, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I hope you all will indulge my moment of deep cynicism here – it’s really hard for me to see the award of this year’s Nobel Peace Prize as anything but a “makeup call” by the committee.

You all know what a makeup call is in sports, right? The ref or umpire makes an obviously wrong call during a game/match and attempts later to right his wrong by making a flawed call which favours the team slighted by his first call.

This has all the earmarks of a form of makeup call.

martin.hale on October 9, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Now this guy’s wife has disappeared and they think she may be in police custody. Her mobile phone is off now as well, meaning she cannot be contacted by anyone, nor will anyone be able to track her.

It’s just amazing. Last year they gave this prize to a man who has done NOTHING in the cause of peace. A man who was given the prize simply because someday he MIGHT do something. A man whose wife goes out among the little people in high priced shoes and clothes and goes on expensive vacations in Europe while the American people fight to keep their homes, jobs and food on the table.

While she’s in Europe and on the innumerable vacations/trips she’s been on this man in China sits in a rat hole prison undoubtedly being tortured and mistreated. All because he has called for basic human rights in China. And when HE wins the Nobel prize there is no fancy trip to accept it. No added little jaunt to try to force the Olympic Committee to put a future games in his hometown. His wife didn’t get treated like a queen.

Instead, this Nobel Peace Prize winner was further punished and his wife was arrested, no doubt to provide leverage in order to get him to knuckle under. Hell, the Norwegians were even scolded for it.

What a difference a year makes… eh? It’s situations like this that put Obama and libbies all over the world into sharp focus as the pathetic little …. nevermind.

Mad Mad Monica on October 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Mr. Liu’s win should remind of us of what we take for granted. I hope that being it they eye of the world will help his and the people of China situation.

Cindy Munford on October 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM