Peterson: My constituents wouldn’t know anything if the national media didn’t cover it

posted at 8:45 am on October 7, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

It’s not the first time that Minnesota’s 7th CD Representative has spoken with something less than flattery about the people who send him to Washington.  Last year, Collin Peterson told Politico that “[t]wenty-five percent of my people believe the Pentagon and Rumsfeld were responsible for taking the twin towers down … That’s why I don’t do town meetings.”  Instead of calling them crazy this time around, Peterson just called them ignorant, and strongly suggested in his interview with CQ Roll Call that they were too lazy to be well-informed:

More importantly, Peterson doesn’t expect that his constituents — other than those who have voted against him in the past — feel the same anger stirring up races in much of the country. Unemployment is low in his heavily agricultural district, he said.

“If they didn’t hear all this negative stuff from the national press, if they would’ve been isolated from everything the last three to four years, they wouldn’t have even known anything was going on,” he said. “Nothing’s changed.”

“All this negative stuff” means … what, exactly?  They wouldn’t know, for instance, that the national unemployment rate remains close to double digits and getting worse?  That Congress, under Democratic control, didn’t bother to pass a budget or even a budget resolution before giving itself six weeks off?  That scheduled tax hikes have yet to be addressed?  “All that negative stuff” sounds an awful lot like “accountability” on the farm, Collin.

Peterson doesn’t want his constituents to know that he voted for the Waxman-Markey cap-and-trade bill.  If they find out about it, though, Peterson wants them to know that he really improved it … and that he figured it would never pass the Senate anyway:

“A lot of people know the only reason I voted for that was Waxman agreed to take my stuff on agriculture. I said at the time I voted for it, that if this was the final bill I’d vote no,” he explained, adding that he didn’t think the Senate would consider the bill.

So Peterson’s message is yes, I voted for it, but also Waxman bought my vote, as well as I voted for it even though I said I opposed it, with a touch of I just figured the Senate would pull my chestnuts from the fire eventually.  I don’t think MN-07 voters are either ignorant or lazy, but I’ll bet they’re pretty confused.  They’re probably not crazy enough to send Peterson back, either, not with Lee Byberg as a viable option.

Update: Peterson did vote against ObamaCare, not for it, as I incorrectly stated.  Thanks to The Whistler for the correction.

Comments

Exhibit A in understanding why there’s no such thing as a “Blue Dog Democrat.”

Mr. D on October 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Translation: My constituents are bunch of moronic backwoods hicks who wouldn’t know their ignorant hillbilly asses from a hole in the ground, and who look upon me as their god, thus assuring me a long and prosperous career in Washington, on their dime! The fools! Bwah-hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

pilamaye on October 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM

aaaaahhhhhhhhhh, one of Minnesota’s best and brightest!

jbh45 on October 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM

So what do the polls say? My guess is he is right about stupid people in his district, they sent him to Washington, and I am sure he will still have at least 30% of the vote, so at least 30% of the people there are idiots…

jeffn21 on October 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Perfect example of why our government is damaged goods. Perfect example of why the TP movement formed and will clean house of all politicians of this make-up. Talking to us like we’re stupid and helpless…

Keemo on October 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM

Anyone know where this race stands? Who’s running against Peterson?

IronDioPriest on October 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

sounds like he’s lamenting the affect that ‘voter knowledge’ may have on a go along big government type like himself.

I guess he’d rather keep the people stupid to serve his purposes.

therightscoop on October 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

My new maxim: however bad you think it is in Washington at any given time, it’s worse.

rrpjr on October 7, 2010 at 8:53 AM

The S. Dakota GOP hawttie is back in the lead, per Rasmussen.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Will the national press tell his constituents that he said all this “negative stuff” about them?

Fallon on October 7, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Congressional Democrats make me wonder why we ever got rid of inbred, addled, drunken, syphlitic Dukes and Duchesses.

Give people the vote and many of them cast it for the same type of worthless idiot, like this jackass.

At least royalty is kind of fun and they didn’t loot nearly as much as Democrats do.

Good way to get rid of political ads and campaigns as well.

Call me a monarchist from now on.

NoDonkey on October 7, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Come on Mr. Morriessey, everyone knows the big political gaffee of the day is the GOP looking for “Hicky” actors for WV political commercials.

Democrats aren’t offended by what Democrats say about them. They are only offended by things that Republicans say.

myrenovations on October 7, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Is he counting on the rurals to not know that the tax on inheriting the family farm or ranch is going to take half of that away from the heirs and all could be lost if they don’t have the cash to pay the IRS. Is that what he’s counting on? I live in a rural state and have heard many ads on the radio about this. Pssst…they know.

Kissmygrits on October 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Clearly an example of a member of Congress who needs to be shown the door.

However, horse-trading votes is hardly unique, and not necessarily a bad thing. No doubt Peterson’s constituents would blame him if he could not get the votes for agriculture he wants. Most agricultural supports do little for California farmers, but are considered a birthright through much of the Midwest and Southern Plains regions.

Of course, cap and trade would have screwed farmers even more than the average American, but Peterson probably never bothered to find out what it would have done to the price of fertilizer, fuel and other critical farm inputs.

doufree on October 7, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Minnesotans, prove this self-absorbed arrogant ass wrong!

ElectricPhase on October 7, 2010 at 8:59 AM

That doesn’t even make sense. Or else it makes perfect sense. Sure if people did not hear the news, if they were kept in the dark, then they wouldn’t know what’s going on. What is his complaint, that people have been paying attention, don’t like what’s going on and are angry about it?

The campaign ad just writes itself.

rbj on October 7, 2010 at 9:01 AM

Sounds like he’s bashing the far left and he may have a good point. Anybody dumb enough to think 9/11 was an inside job is too dumb to vote.

Tony737 on October 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

What is it about Minnesota?

Peterson, Franken, Ventura, Wellstone, the (dips)hits keep a’comin!!!

And then there’s the Vikings……;)

VelvetElvis on October 7, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Mark another career PROGRESSIVE politician “SCARLET” letter “D” for DEFEAT.

TEANAMI!!!!!! 11/2/10

BTW, Off thread here but has anyone heard that Gov. Perry has repeatedly asked Napolitano for 1,000 more troops to secure the border and that request has been repeatedly denied?

PappyD61 on October 7, 2010 at 9:05 AM

Tony737 on October 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Agree, but these are his constituents he’s talking about. He’s not a private citizen.

If you have that little respect for a good portion of the people you are supposed to represent, go do something else for a living.

Sounds to me like this is someone who has been in politics too long.

NoDonkey on October 7, 2010 at 9:07 AM

I thought Peterson voted against Obama care.

The Whistler on October 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Ahh…now I have a face to put with that ‘Bishop’ guy.

BigWyo on October 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Talking to us like we’re stupid and helpless…

Keemo on October 7, 2010 at 8:51 AM

The “stupid and helpless” voted for Obama in 2008 my friend. They ate the poison fruit of hope and change, (free lunch and a government taxpayer funded chicken in every pot)—and now we are all paying for it. Peterson’s quid pro quo is the perfect example of why Washington’s about to change again.

Rovin on October 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM

I’m sure he was happy about “all this negative stuff” in 2006 and 2008 when it was helping him get elected.

Chris of Rights on October 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM

So is he saying that we should isolate people so they don’t hear what the government is up to. That’s what I got out of it, but what do I know.

vcferlita on October 7, 2010 at 9:17 AM

My experience is, liberals are more dismissive of others than conservatives. For example, a liberal will more quickly come to the conclusion “oh, that person is just stupid, or wrong”, rather than questioning themselves. Peterson’s attitude is a little snippet more of evidence in that direction.

Paul-Cincy on October 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM

It’s nice that they have been shielded from the unemployment numbers but Obamacare and higher taxes will probably bring them into the loop.

Cindy Munford on October 7, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Anyone know where this race stands? Who’s running against Peterson?

IronDioPriest on October 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM

It’s in the last line of what Ed wrote:

strictnein on October 7, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I thought Peterson voted against Obama care.

The Whistler on October 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Wiki page for Peterson says the same thing:
On March 21, 2010, Peterson voted against the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.[11]

Paul-Cincy on October 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Rovin on October 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Amen to that… How’d that earthquake end up the other day in your area Rovin. I hope nothing in your home hit the floor this time around!

Keemo on October 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Exhibit A in understanding why there’s no such thing as a “Blue Dog Democrat.”

Mr. D on October 7, 2010 at 8:48 AM

Heh!!!

They are only “blue dog democrats” 6 months before an election.
After that….it’s the Pelosi agenda 24/7.

Baxter Greene on October 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM

This guy is just your everyday crook and flimflam man . . . the real culprits are the idiot voters.

rplat on October 7, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Roll Call vote 194. The blue dogs traded off who was going to vote for the odious legislation that the entrenched leadership was shoving down our throats. Peterson decided for some reason to support cap and trade which is devastating to his farm constituents.

Probably the largest industry in his district is the sugar beet farms and factories. The processing factories use coal and that’s pretty much a no no under Peterson’s cap and trade bill.

Blue Dog Democrats will support the leadership before they stick up for their constituents. In other words a vote for Peterson is a vote for Pelosi.

The Whistler on October 7, 2010 at 9:27 AM

OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

golfmann on October 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Paul-Cincy on October 7, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Liberals also act this way when they are presented with facts that refute their narritive or are caught in their own hypocrisy……… which is about 99% of the time.

Baxter Greene on October 7, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Keemo on October 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM

The quake was pretty weak…4.5 and barely moved anything in the place. We generally like these “little ones” to come along—it keeps the plates from piling up pressure that ends up being big ones.

Rovin on October 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Amusing.
With the one hand they destroy and dumb down our education system. With the other hand they spread lies and deceits while at the same time mocking the people for being ignorant.

JellyToast on October 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM

pilamaye on October 7, 2010 at 8:50 AM

That gave me a good early a.m. laugh!

The fools! Bwah-hahahahahahahahaha!!!!

Gang-of-One on October 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I think I’ve found a transcript to one of his other interviews about the people in his district…

This community means about as much to me as a festering ball of dog snot! You think I care about the pea-brained yokels of this town? If you took their combined I.Q., and multiplied it by a hundred, you might have enough intelligence to tie your shoe, if you didn’t drool all over yourself first. I can’t stand those sniveling maggots! They make me want to puke! But, there is one good thing about broadcasting to a town full of mindless sheep. I always know I have them exactly where I want them. Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

teke184 on October 7, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Update: Peterson did vote against ObamaCare, not for it, as I incorrectly stated. Thanks to The Whistler for the correction.

High praise for that vote, but calling your constituents names, or labeling them is not a smart move. Agricultural, meaning farming. I and hubby come from farm stock, and are not amused by this at all. Farm people are still business people. Farms are their jobs. They do keep up with things, because as any company knows…when the government is as intrusive as this one is…it’s going to affect them, and not positively. They watch, they listen, they know.

Peterson sounds like a man who would have been better off shooting himself in the foot, and did so by inserting the bullet manually. Moron!!!

capejasmine on October 7, 2010 at 10:01 AM

If his constituents re-elect him, then Peterson will be proven right. They really are ignorant morons.

RadClown on October 7, 2010 at 10:04 AM

I agree RadClown. His constituents would have to be brain dead to re-elect this buffon after his mocking of their intelligence. Exploiting the ignorance of the masses has been a standard operating procedure for the demonrats for generations. Lets see if it still works.

volsense on October 7, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Translation: Yes the bill is going to cost you more to drive your truck, heat your home, and might just cost you your job. But hey, the Ag Dept. will give you more food stamps now.

BLUE DOG = LAP DOG

jpmn on October 7, 2010 at 10:22 AM

“I likes my constituents ignorant and stupid just likes I likes my women barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen!”

Fuzzlenutter on October 7, 2010 at 11:48 AM

“That darn FOX. And the FCC has really let us down with failing to reinstate the Fairness Act.”

What he is really saying.

Jvette on October 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Update: Peterson did vote against ObamaCare, not for it

If you recall Ms. Pelosi allowed some favored Dems to vote no for reelection purposes. Mr Peterson would have followed Ms. Pelosi’s orders if told to do it. This is why all Dems gotta go 11/2/10

Herb on October 7, 2010 at 11:57 AM

walking proof that we get the government we deserve!

pgrossjr on October 7, 2010 at 12:10 PM

He used “would have” in an “if” clause. That’s reason enough not to vote for him.

DrSteve on October 7, 2010 at 12:30 PM

“…I don’t care what the papers write about me. My constituents can’t read. But, damn it, they can see the pictures.”

– William Marcy “Boss” Tweed, complaining about the cartoonist Thomas Nast

Mary in LA on October 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Peterson’s opponent (Lee Byberg) speaking:

RBMN on October 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Sorry, got Boss Tweed’s middle name wrong! I blame Bush. ;-)

William Magear Tweed

How corrupt was this guy?

… after he was appointed commissioner of public works, Tweed enlarged the street maintenance crew to include twelve jobs as “manure inspectors.”

Mary in LA on October 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Started following Lee Byberg a long time ago. We’re even Facebook friends before he figured out how it really works! Go to his campaign page and get a fantastic example of how a first generation CAN assimilate and be amused by the thick Norwegian accent too!

Renwaa on October 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Peterson’s opponent (Lee Byberg) speaking:

RBMN on October 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Very good video of Lee Byberg. Thank you for sharing it RBMN! It shows that Lee Byberg understands and embraces the fundamental reasons why the 2010 election is so important.

Lee Byberg is the Republlican candidate who is running against Rep. Collin Peterson in Minnesota’s 7th District.

Learn more about Lee Byberg at his campaign website:

According to the FEC.gov website http://www.fec.gov/DisclosureSearch/HSRefreshCandList.do?category=disH&stateName=MN&congressId=07&election_yr=2010 Lee Byberg could use some help with his fundraising.

As of 7/21

Lee Byberg had Cash on Hand = $25,135

Rep. Peterson had Cash on Hand = $727,873

Vote Rep. Peterson OUT OF OFFICE! The good people of Minnesota deserve a Congressperson who will treat them with respect.

wren on October 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM