New Christine O’Donnell ad: “I know how tough it is to make and keep a dollar”

posted at 5:08 pm on October 7, 2010 by Allahpundit

She’s really working the everyman angle here. Perhaps … too much? Jim Geraghty:

O’Donnell begins, “I didn’t go to Yale.” Er, no, but she’s been accused of serially misrepresenting her education record. She continues, “I didn’t inherit millions, like my opponent.” Besides the slight dollop of envy it suggests, it’s a poor defense to the accusations of stiffing former employees. Again, if the aim is to make the race about what’s happening in Washington or what Chris Coons would do in office, turn to those issues a bit quicker – Election Day is in less than four weeks!

Finally, the slogan “I’m you” recurs again, twice, and I’m not sure how far that will carry her. It’s clear what they were going for, but perhaps, “I’m not the establishment” or “I’m not Washington,” or “I’m the only candidate that’s as angry as you are about what’s going on in Washington.” I find it too easy to imagine a voter saying, “you’re not me.”

Yeah, the “I’m you” catchphrase is wearing thin but I’m not sure what JG wants in terms of turning to the issues. The takeaway from yesterday’s Fairleigh Dickinson poll is that Delaware voters, especially women, aren’t keen on the tea-party agenda. O’Donnell will be okay if she sticks to broad generalities that all voters like to hear, e.g. less spending and lower taxes — which she does mention in this ad — but she’d be crazy to get into specifics given the electorate she’s facing. (No doubt that’s what Coons will press her on at the debate.) My main knock on this spot is that, stylistically, it’s identical to the “I’m not a witch” clip, replete with maudlin piano music. She’s already done the direct heartfelt personal appeal; the way to go now should be upbeat, aggressive, and even humorous at Coons’s expense to get voters on her side. Fred Davis, her ad guru, did the Obama “Celebrity” spot for McCain. More like that, please.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

I’d much rather have fried octopus. ;-)

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Fried octopus? I don’t know how to make that.

How about some fresh Sannakji instead?

DarkCurrent on October 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Another good ad. Hiring Fred Davis was a great decisision imho.

Norwegian on October 8, 2010 at 2:36 PM

How about some fresh Sannakji instead?

DarkCurrent on October 8, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Can we compromise on crab rangoons? *drool*

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Can we compromise on crab rangoons? *drool*

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 2:39 PM

I don’t have any cream cheese.

How about some deep-fried fortune cookies? That’s actually how we traditionally eat them here in China.

DarkCurrent on October 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Because the Delaware disaster could easily translate into a similar, larger mess at the national level. Imagine the PR damage to the movement at large when jokes/slams about a certain candidate and her supporters practically write themselves
Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Thanks so much for your CONCERN. I mean we wouldn’t want this to get out and smear the reputation of the Tea Party. Espcially since they are the darlings of the MSM and the
White House. Whatever are we to do about this problem with Maria, er, I mean, Christine? This just reflects sooo bad upon the Tea Party and Sarah.
*Cue wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth…

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM

So, you are only allowed to criticize someone once? Interesting. That must be a new rule around here.

Heralder on October 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM

My God, you can’t be that dense. That is NOT what I said at all. What number of thread is this now about O’Donnel? Same song, different place…

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I’d much rather have fried octopus. ;-)

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I like mine dried, right out of the bag…

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I like mine dried, right out of the bag…

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Have that and crab legs at the same time – the texture contrast makes both of them even better. Don’t forget the melted butter!

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM

You realize when the comments advance to the next page, everything you wrote in the previous page is still right there, yes? Also, when you close the refrigerator door, the light goes off. No need to keep peeking in the corner to see what happens.

we object to all of you stating it OVER AND OVER AND OVER-
lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 1:51 PM

So, you are only allowed to criticize someone once?
Heralder on October 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM

My God, you can’t be that dense. That is NOT what I said at all.
lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM

You’re right, you also talked about chicken beastiality and dogs eating vomit after stating that I need therapy. Trust me, while the irony was not lost on me, I didn’t think I needed to include those fancy bits.

Heralder on October 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM

New poll…Christine closes within 9, almost 1/2 in just a few days…

right2bright on October 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM

That is just…wrong. Now my mouth is watering….

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Heralder on October 8, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Woe–you really ARE that dense! I will leave you to your own little world where you keep chasing your tail. Or conversely–yapping up the same tree incessently.

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM

right2bright on October 8, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Who is the pollster?

technopeasant on October 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM

My position on this still stands…

Pagans/Wiccans/those people that do work with Light energy (I know a lot about this stuff)and they did not get their troops’ grave stone symbol allowed (the pentacle) along with the others in VA you have to tread carefully. They are wonderful people too.

I don’t like the trashing on being witches. I don’t feel comfortable knowing their kindred spirits, and their genuine feelings. They serve in the military too.

I have not heard nor read about this backfiring on O’Donnell on their covens but look at the links I provided here. With that written, I don’t oppose her campaign and I support her. The “witch” thing I hope is off the table.

ProudPalinFan on October 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM

ProudPalinFan on October 8, 2010 at 4:07 PM

It was when she was 17, and she “dabbled” in it.
Anyone making this an issue is an extreme liberal, or a wacko that does not understand that at 17 people have done “strange” things.
Good grief…rumors are difficult because people so easily succumb to them.

right2bright on October 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 8, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Did you just misspell ‘whoa’ in the same sentence you called me dense?

Awesome. Pure entertainment.

Heralder on October 8, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Exactly…you can tell immediately who the team players are, and who the RINO’s are…

right2bright on October 7, 2010 at 6:10 PM

This is one of the (inadvertently) funniest comments I’ve ever seen here.

Miss O’D’s cultists are blinder (and less thoughtful) than Ozark cavefish.

Bizarro No. 1 on October 8, 2010 at 5:17 PM

DarkCurrent on October 8, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Heh. Sounds like deep-fried Twinkies…the ultimate in decadence!

Dark-Star on October 8, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Ironically, O’Donnells best supporters are her clueless critics. After watching so many people blather on and on about her being a witch, then finding out she hung out with a couple in High School before she became a Christian, it becomes clear that the people who keep bringing up this bit of nonsense have nothing better to do.

She said politically incorrect things on a show called Politically Incorrect. This is somehow shocking?

She defended the proposition that lying is wrong. So the one defending Clinton’s lying says, “But what if Hitler was trying to kill Jews. You’d lie then, right!” Rather than laugh at the far-fetched hypothetical “gotcha” question, we’re supposed to be worried that she didn’t immediately say, “Well, lying is wrong, but not in this case.” Instead, she said that she had faith that she wouldn’t be put in such a situation. Since she never had to hide Jews from Hitler, I suppose her faith wasn’t misplaced, after all.

I expect the democrats to throw everything they can against her, and dig up every bit of dirt imaginable. It does seem odd to see so many self-proclaimed Republicans and conservatives do the same, even after the primary is over.

I can only think they’d much rather she lost. Maybe because they don’t want conservatives to actually expect to have conservative candidates to vote for. Much better to tell the conservatives, “You’ll vote for our candidate, unless you want the Democrat to win.”

The shoes on the other foot this time, gents. Either vote for the conservative Republican, or watch the Democrat win. It’s amazing how unimportant party loyalty becomes when the RINO loses…..

There Goes The Neighborhood on October 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM