Video: Medal of Honor awarded posthumously to Staff Sgt. Robert Miller

posted at 4:12 pm on October 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

I’m going to give you three options for learning more about Miller’s stupendous act of bravery, one of which comes with a strong recommendation. The first is this WaPo story recounting the circumstances of his death, which is fine if you’re interested only in the basics. The second is the Fox News video below of today’s White House ceremony; Obama’s retelling of the incident, beginning at around 3:30, is actually quite good and worth watching if you can spare the time.

The third, and the one I highly recommend, is this fantastic web feature on Miller on the Army’s website. I’m embarrassed to say that I had no idea they were doing such elaborate online productions for MOH awardees, but whatever they’re spending on them, they’re worth every penny. Everything you could want to know about an American hero is right there — a detailed bio, videos, letters, the president’s remarks, the official citation, and, most impressively, a short video re-creation of the battle in which he lost his life. That’s the one thing in all of this that you simply must watch; clicking on the image below, beneath the Fox video, will take you directly to it. If you can’t devote seven minutes to it — make the time, seriously — skip ahead to Chapter Five and go from there. Not only did he sacrifice himself to save his unit, he took a good dozen jihadis with him. What a loss.

Comments

God bless him and his family.

sandee on October 6, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Such a great loss to our nation.

I’m filled with anger to think that such a man receives obligatory platitudes from his commander in chief, rather than the heartfelt honor and respect he deserves.

IronDioPriest on October 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I look up to men like this. It’s a shame he lost his life, and that most Americans will never know his name.

blatantblue on October 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I feel guilty and very sad to say that I just could not watch it. I was watching FoxNews and when the bumbling Photo-op Obama came on, I just could not watch it anymore.

WoosterOh on October 6, 2010 at 4:18 PM

He is the best. Please pray for SSgt Miller and his family.

This is why we need more political leaders from the military.

People who worked with, trained, led and were led by men like SSgt Miller.

NoDonkey on October 6, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I’ve also heard, he fought on, while having 2 bullet wounds. This man is truly an American patriot, and hero!

capejasmine on October 6, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I’m telling you, watch that battle re-creation.

Allahpundit on October 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Good on the President for the presentation. For those interested I’d recommend

which has a ton of info on recipients.

Bradky on October 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I apologize if my previous comment is viewed as out of place or un-called for under the circumstances. I don’t mean to detract from the dignity intended in the post.

IronDioPriest on October 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Wow, that video on the Army’s website really is great.

clearbluesky on October 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Truly a well-rounded individual. Thoughtful, intelligent, caring, strong, and capable of destroying the enemy with extreme prejudice when called to. A truly quintessential man.

blatantblue on October 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

We have men like this… who was served the MOH.. by a man who has NO spine.

TY SS Miller.

upinak on October 6, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I’m telling you, watch that battle re-creation.

Allahpundit on October 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

stream not found?

Maybe it is this stupid computer.. or wordpress is linking funny agian.

upinak on October 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

God Bless him and his famliy. I am humbled by his bravery and eternally greatful for his sacrafice. I watched it out of respect for SSgt Miller, his family, friends and fellow Marines. But…

IronDioPriest on October 6, 2010 at 4:17 PM

… I see I’m not alone. It was painful to watch.

God protect those who risk their lives protecting us.

Texas Gal on October 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Thanks so much for the incredible find. Absolutely amazing. God Bless Sgt. Miller and the family who produced such a hero for our country.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2010 at 4:30 PM

wow AP—the battlescape is really interesting. I’ve been to the Konar valley region in AF. If he was fighting uphill, then he was really really working hard and at a tactical disadvantage.

Thank you SSG Miller for you leadership, patriotism and dedication. God bless 3rd SFG/A and your family.

ted c on October 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM

If you can’t devote seven minutes to it — make the time, seriously

I made the time. Amazing, truely amazing. Thank you for the recommendation as I didn’t know they made such wonderful videos of our heros.

DrAllecon on October 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I’m telling you, watch that battle re-creation.

Allahpundit on October 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

That is an amazing recreation. I am going to have to browse the site and see if they have done that for other winners.

coyoterex on October 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM

May God Bless the family of this American Hero and all the families of our Best and Brightest.

kingsjester on October 6, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Thank God for men like SSG Miller! Godspeed, Robert.

OhioCoastie on October 6, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I love the video. He did all while at a disadvantage in position. Truely he at god kingdom right getting his heavenly reward.

bessex on October 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I’m telling you, watch that battle re-creation.

Allahpundit on October 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.

I’m extremely glad I watched it and proud to say that I come from the same country as Sgt Miller.

JadeNYU on October 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I’m telling you, watch that battle re-creation.

Allahpundit on October 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Wow! America is truly blessed to have such men in our Armed Forces. May God rest this American hero’s soul and comfort his family and friends.

d1carter on October 6, 2010 at 4:41 PM

The best of America.

May we never forget.

publiuspen on October 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I wonder if Tony737 knows about this site. He has made up his on videos for Medal of Honor winners.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM

My heart aches for this hero’s family….I sobbed thru his story.
I,like some others here, had a hard time watching Obama without thinking what a hypocrite and a phoney he really is.
I don’t think he will ever change my mind about how I feel about him, our so called CIC.
My eldest son deploys to Afghanistan today and my second oldest deploys to Iraq in 5 days, so when I say my heart aches, it truely is an understatement.

Palin/West 2012.

tencole on October 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Once again our illustrious El Presidente malfunctions.

During this presentation, he said something was just “FEETS AWAY”. This guy just reads whatever is put in front of him without any thought. Doesn’t he ever read over what he is going to say prior to speaking? You would think you would do a read through on something this important.

I actually got up and rewound the DVR to make sure I heard it right. “Feets away” — egads.

Greyledge Gal on October 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM

AP,thank-you,just wow,an ambush,and then a
whole sh*t load of Jihadys!!

From Canada,thank-you America:)
==========================================================
The BattleScape

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I am truly humbled that my right to post comments on websites and every other right I enjoy as a citizen of this great land are being protected by men such as this.

God Bless him and his family and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

And for those of us who are angry about the current CIC and his comments, remember at a time like this it can be good to honor the Office of President, even if we can’t honor the office holder. (or even if the office holder doesn’t)

The honor and respect of his peers as expressed so eloquently in the website is more important and meaningful than anything anyone from Washington could say, anyway, CIC or not.

Lily on October 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM

The guy sacrificed his life to save 22 soldiers, and you can’t watch a guy you don’t like speak about him on television? Your guilt is well placed.

YYZ on October 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM

O/T Sorry about not answering you last night, I lost internet connection.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 4:48 PM
===================
O/T Sorry about not answering you last night, I lost internet connection.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Cindy Munford: Hey no problemo,I was getting a wee bit off
topic,A-okay–:)

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM

stream not found?

Maybe it is this stupid computer.. or wordpress is linking funny agian.

upinak on October 6, 2010 at 4:27 PM

upinak: Is it working,are you operational,or still
no linky worky!!:)

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM

YYZ on October 6, 2010 at 4:50 PM

The time it took you to write this scolding, kinda douchebaggy post could have been spent further honoring that great man who did give his life so others can live.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

DrAllecon on October 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I’m short on time, so I’ll have to watch the 1st & 3d videos later.

I’m thankful for people like SSgt Miller. They are true heros and profiles in courage.

conservative pilgrim on October 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Palin/West 2012.

tencole on October 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

In our prayers….
What a great tribute they give to Medal of Honor winners, the video was really well done.

right2bright on October 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM

That’s the one thing in all of this that you simply must watch

Thanks! A much better way to understand the battle and his heroism.

RIP Sergeant Rob Miller.

darwin on October 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Thank you, Allahpundit, for this post and your wonderful choice of words in discussing this.

It is almost unbearable that we lose such men.

DrMagnolias on October 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I would like to offer a thought for people to consider. When the presentation is made by the president the recipient’s family will always remember the event with great pride. Whether the President “did a good job” or not is not the point at all. It is the leader of our country honoring this person with the nation’s highest honor.
I respectfully ask that people just once leave the politics behind and just share in honoring a hero.

Bradky on October 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Musical Memorial for Army Staff Sgt. Robert J. Miller, Medal of Honor Recipient

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 5:07 PM

IronDioPriest on October 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I feel your pain. I was reading about him at Blackfive with tears in my eyes. He was half my age and twice the man, a fellow tuba player, a man who didn’t hesitate when called upon to lay his life down for his commerades in arms and his country.

And the incongruity of that man who occupies the White House presenting our nations highest military honor to his family is just too much to bear.

Palin/West 2012, indeed. I would imagine she’d be hard pressed to get through the presentation without bursting into tears – just as I would.

Godspeed, soldier.

turfmann on October 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM

The Slideshow is hard to take,but heres a quick link
=====================================================

canopfor on October 6, 2010 at 5:17 PM

wow, just wow…tears in these eyes for what he did

God Bless SS Miller

cmsinaz on October 6, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I’m telling you, watch that battle re-creation.

Allahpundit on October 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM

totally agree….

cmsinaz on October 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM

In an era when the word “hero” has nearly lost its meaning, God bless Staff Sgt. Robert Miller for reminding us.

Tres Angelas on October 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM

SSgt Miller epitomizes who and what our military is. His type of selflessness breeds courage and bravery. This is emblematic of who we are as a country, at least historically. Our best are being put into harms way and the politicians worry how it will affect “them.” I want them to all come back, run for office and take our own country back[Col Allen West] My prayers to his family You certainly did something right in raising this young man. I raise a glass to you and his memory.

retiredeagle on October 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM

How can we thank God enough for such men?

Hog Wild on October 6, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Tres Angelas on October 6, 2010 at 5:29 PM

tencole on October 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I will say a little prayer for you and your boys tonight…my family appreciates your sacrifices.

d1carter on October 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM

tencole on October 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

d1carter on October 6, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Ditto, and for all the other commenters here whose son & daughters, wives & husbands, brothers & sisters are in harm’s way, too.

turfmann on October 6, 2010 at 5:47 PM

May God have held you in His arms Staff Sgt. Miller. Your family can know, you were what our country has at its best.
Thank you does not seem near enough.
L

letget on October 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Thank you SSgt. Miller and family for your supreme sacrifice.

GnuBreed on October 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

tencole on October 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Two sons, I can only imagine the heavyness in your heart. You and yours have my deepest respect and gratitude.

Texas Gal on October 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I really wish there was a web site where the technology could be applied to recount the stories of all MOH and DSC recipients. Most people don’t have a clue what level of heroism it takes to justify even an award of a Bronze Star for valor or Silver Star, much less the DSC or MOH. It’s amazing and humbling to read the accounts of real patriots who put their lives on the line for average Americans.

“The Land of the Free ….. BECAUSE of the Brave”

bannedbyhuffpo on October 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Our Country was carved out of a world that was not friendly to peaceful people — it’s Men like him and our Forefathers that gave us a break long enough to make this A Great Nation ..

wheels on October 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM

This video was a great tribute. We can all see, very clearly, what he did. I just finished watching it, and I am in awe, and in tears.

Splunge on October 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM

At ease good soldier, your war is over. You have served your nation well.

jbh45 on October 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM

Battle re creation was good but I would suggest reading his profile page. He was an incredible young man from an incredible family.

RIP Staff Sgt Miller.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 6, 2010 at 6:42 PM

I sobbed through the whole battle reenactment, and after reading his profile he sounds like a wonderful young man.
All I can think of is how PROUD his mama must be.

CambellBrown on October 6, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Hooah!

Dingbat63 on October 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Just a nit to pick, if I may.

It is common to describe Staff Sgt. Robert Miller and others like him as Medal of Honor “winners”.

This is incorrect terminology. These brave people are “awarded” the Medal of Honor, which they have “earned” by their selfless actions.

Although I know it is entirely unintentional to demean the award by referring to it as having been “won”, it does somewhat make it sound like a game or a sport.

Staff Sgt. Robert Miller was awarded the Medal of Honor. God bless him, his family, and the nation that can produce such individuals.

Yoop on October 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Thank you for posting that AP. I just got home from a long day at work and needed a reminder of how lucky I am to live under the blanket of freedom for which courageous patriots like Sgt. Miller give the ultimate sacrifice. God Bless him and his family.

TxAnn56 on October 6, 2010 at 9:01 PM

To paraphrase Fleet Admiral Nimitz: “Uncommon valor was a common virtue.”

This man, and the many others who have given their lives in defense of freedom, deserve our unending gratitude.

Rightwingguy on October 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM

ALMIGHTY God, our heavenly Father, in whose hands are the living and the dead; We give thee thanks for all those thy servants who have laid down their lives in the service of our country. Grant to them thy mercy and the light of thy presence, that the good work which thou hast begun in them may be perfected; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord.

Amen.

Rest in the peace that no man of war will ever know in this life. Airborne, brother

E9RET on October 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM

Having awarded our country’s highest honor to Sgt Miller, we haven’t even begun to pay the real debt we owe him. Everything he gave all of his sunlit tomorrows for, is at issue right here at home and right now.
In the end, Sgt Miller like the hundreds of thousands of others throughout over 240 years of our history, have paid a horrific price just to give us the chance to be free. We owe them, every one of them, the obligation to grasp that freedom in our own hands and live out the legacy they provided us.
Freedom isn’t free! How many times we’ve heard that tired old saw and nodded our heads in ready agreement. What most of us don’t realize is that Sgt Miller and all the rest paid the ultimate price just to hold the door open for us, so that we could step up and pay our share as well.
In the terrible words of another Miller, the fictional Capt Miller, “Deserve this!”
Every one of us owes these sacred men and women, the courage and the commitment to be free. Nothing less will do!

Lew on October 6, 2010 at 10:02 PM

“uncommon valor”? Those who win Bronze Stars do that( no small deal). Understand that Medal of Honor recipients go “above and beyond the call of duty”. That’s why most are awarded the medal posthumously. These are heroes of the highest calibre. God bless Sgt. Miller, his family and America.

cartooner on October 6, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Rest in peace, Warrior.

hawkdriver on October 6, 2010 at 11:38 PM

GOD BLESS YOU SGT. ROBERT MILLER !

flintstone on October 7, 2010 at 12:27 AM