CNN poll: Reid down to … 40%

posted at 6:07 pm on October 6, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s still a nailbiter: Angle leads by just two thanks to Scott Ashjian and “none of the above” being on the ticket. I can’t believe, though, that Nevadans who go to the polls on election day in a razor-thin race with a chance to bounce the Senate majority leader are going to throw their vote away on a third-party loser or NOTA. They’ll hold their noses and break one way or another. And if yesterday’s Fox poll is any guide, it’s pretty clear whom they’ll be breaking for.

According to a CNN/Time/Opinion Research Corporation poll released Wednesday, 42 percent of likely voters in Nevada are backing Angle, who enjoys strong support from many in the Tea Party movement, with four in ten supporting Reid, the top Democrat in the Senate who’s bidding for a fifth term in the chamber. Seven percent of people questioned are supporting Scott Ashjian, who is running as a Tea Party candidate, but who is shunned by many in the grassroots conservative moment, and 10 percent say they are voting for none of the candidates listed…

“It’s a two-point race with Ashjian on the ballot, but it’s also a two-point race when voters are asked a hypothetical question about a race with only Reid and Angle’s name on the ballot,” says Holland. “That suggests that Ashjian is pulling his support about evenly from both sides, rather than taking most of his support from the Republican. Only about one in ten supporters of the Tea Party movement choose Ashjian in the three-way race.”…

The poll also indicates that Reid holds a 43 to 32 percent advantage over Angle among the larger sampling of registered voters, with nine percent backing Ashjian and 15 percent saying they supporting none of the above.

Thank heaven for the enthusiasm gap. As for Ashjian pulling evenly from both sides, I don’t get that at all. Disgruntled Democrats have the “none of the above” option if they don’t want to vote for Reid but can’t stomach Angle; moreover, Ashjian’s a self-identified tea party candidate, a brand which should have Democratic voters fleeing in terror at this point. I can understand grassroots conservatives who haven’t looked carefully at the candidates yet being duped into voting for him based on the brand, but why would that happen to liberals?

To put you in the mood for Dingy Harry’s imminent collapse, enjoy this dynamite new spot from the Republican Governors Association. The wind is at our back. Sail on.

Comments

RGA ads make me want pudding.

Abby Adams on October 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Hey, that’s the first time I’ve seen Katie Couric in years…
Great vid!

d1carter on October 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM

How can we interject Palin into this Nevada Race?

portlandon on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

THE RGA NEEDS TO CUT AN AD FOR TV.

THE WEB ISN’T GONNA CUT IT.

GET IT ON THE MLB PLAYOFFS

tetriskid on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Scott Ashjian is in the race to draw votes away from Angle.

He was never a member of the movement before starting the “party”. The Tea Party Express even tried to expose him as a fraud.

amerpundit on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

RGA ads make me want pudding.

Abby Adams on October 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Don’t let Lorien know that.

Reid goes down in a recounting flame? Probably.

upinak on October 6, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Oh my…that is powerful, visually gripping…

right2bright on October 6, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Here is why Angle is finally pulling away from Reid: her last 3 TV ads have been about illegal immigration. Her latest:

fred5678 on October 6, 2010 at 6:19 PM

Amazing ad.

Ronnie on October 6, 2010 at 6:19 PM

amerpundit on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Agreed. There are some dirty tricks going on here, and I pray the people of Nevada wise up to them, before election day.

capejasmine on October 6, 2010 at 6:20 PM

How can we interject Palin into this Nevada Race?

portlandon on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Palin has offered to help Angle – maybe they’re waiting for a late October big surprise appearance?? Or maybe undecided if Palin will help/hurt??

fred5678 on October 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM

That ad is too long for tv, but it would fit perfectly in theaters before the trailers.

rw on October 6, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I don’t like this 2% lead stuff when Harry Reid is involved. Angle is one illegal immigrant maid away from losing this thing. Damn, I sound like Allah…

joejm65 on October 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Palin has said she will be happy to campaign for those who think it might help. She also understands that there are certain places where she might hurt.

sandee on October 6, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I think a lot of the focus from the left on O’Donnell is on setting the stage for their false election day narrative. They kinda try the same thing with Angle too, but only halfheartedly because they think she may still win.

In the middle of a major butt kicking, they will latch onto whatever tea party candidates lose. I don’t think Angle is going to be one of them, but I am kicking her a few dollars just to help do my part.

stldave on October 6, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Yes, I’d like to say a ‘quick word’ about our economy too, Barry: SUCKS.

Good ad! Keep ‘em coming.

petefrt on October 6, 2010 at 6:29 PM

If Reid’s in the low 40′s at this point, I think Angle’s in a good spot. I wish that faux tea partier would get bent and drop out, though…all he’s doing is helping ensure another dingy 6 years.

changer1701 on October 6, 2010 at 6:31 PM

joejm65 on October 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Yup, or one ACORN event.

petefrt on October 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM

That RGA ad made me want to see a movie that doesn’t exist. All of their stuff is amazing but that “Mourning in America” is probably the most powerful of any ad I have seen from any group.

Daemonocracy on October 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Bye, Dingy.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Great ad. Every time I hear Obama’s “you would think they would say ‘thank you’” line, it sends a chill up my spine. He sounds like a dictator.

flyfisher on October 6, 2010 at 6:34 PM

Vid’s best moment: contrasting “healthcare will save us money. Your employer will be able to give you a raise” with “it’s going to cost more money; we knew that”.

Mr. President: you lie – continuously.

paul1149 on October 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Holey cow, that video was awesome!!!

Vigilante on October 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Prediction: This race won’t be a nailbiter on November 2.

That many undecideds? They’re going to break hard for Angle.

We may be up late on November 2, but this race won’t be the reason why.

Chris of Rights on October 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM

RGA ads make me want pudding.

Abby Adams on October 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Two-hundred and forty dollars worth?

James on October 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM

“Seven percent of people questioned are supporting Scott Ashjian,…”

The Duce you say…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Great ad.

Weight of Glory on October 6, 2010 at 6:45 PM

This kind of stuff is why I am so HOPEFUL about 11/2 TEANAMI……this can’t be just going to happen in NV.

PappyD61 on October 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM

When the historians through the Siena College Poll selected Obama as the 15th best president after only 18 months on the job, it should have sent a clear message. Academia and reality do not go together. Those that DO…DO. Those that CAN’T…TEACH. Our country is being taken down by a small group of elitests who have no conceptual perception of reality. They actually think the Americans are too stupid to appreciate their omnipotence while their lies and deception are proven invaiid at every turn. Liberalism is a mental disorder and it must be brought back to reality.

volsense on October 6, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I hope the RGA will be in charge of advertising for the presidential election in 2012.

HellCat on October 6, 2010 at 6:49 PM

About that RGA ad:

‘Mother of God.’

/James Earl Jones voice

That gave me chills!

ElectricPhase on October 6, 2010 at 6:51 PM

How can we interject Palin into this Nevada Race?

portlandon on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Hm. Palin is the kiss of death! Palin is dragging Angle down, even though they’re both nutcases!!! Tarkanian would be 30 points ahead if it weren’t for those True Conservatives ™!!!!!111!!11!11!!!

ddrintn on October 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM

We may be up late on November 2, but this race won’t be the reason why.

Chris of Rights on October 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM

We won’t know the fate of the Senate until the CA/WA returns come in, which will go through morning because they count slow.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on October 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM

It will take more than 2% to overcome all the illegal aliens that will be shepherded to the polls to vote democratic. The SEIU crime family is also very powerful in Las Vegas. This one could get nasty.

slickwillie2001 on October 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Look on the bright side, Sen. Reid, now can go hang out with Tom Daschole! Yay FUN!

Tony737 on October 6, 2010 at 6:56 PM

That is one kick-ass ad.

ButterflyDragon on October 6, 2010 at 7:01 PM

That RGA ad makes me want to make some popcorn…

… and sit in the dark playing it over and over again.

Seven Percent Solution on October 6, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Hey Ashjian, I know, as a resident of Nevada for 8 years, that you have some family juice but for God’s Sake.

Show some class and bow out, endorse Angle.

Reap what you sow. Being a spoiler and putting Reid back in the Senate will make you & your family poisonous. Bowing out like a man and doing the right thing will make you a hero.

seesalrun on October 6, 2010 at 7:07 PM

To put you in the mood for Dingy Harry’s imminent collapse…

Your enthusiasm is sort of unsettling.

forest on October 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 6, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Speaking of which Slick, I visit LV several times a year and the ads on TV (no Fox at most of the major hotels btw) are full of SEIU ads asking you to call Reid’s office to thank him.

Needless to say I called the local number several times and was polite but firm.

Anyone here from Vegas to confirm – and how many ads are running now through SEIU – I imagine it’s worse.

seesalrun on October 6, 2010 at 7:12 PM

It’s a CNN poll so Angle is probably ahead six points in real terms. As for Reid, if you are in Congress forever and can’t get above 40 percent against an unknown opponent, then you should commit harikari, especially if you are the majority leader. And I’m sure Reid’s democrap friends would make sure that harikari by politicians would be funded under Obamacare.

eaglewingz08 on October 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM

You can tell Reid is a dead man just by looking at his face. I’d say he’s been dead about six months.

Cicero43 on October 6, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Money quote:

Narrator: Is the American Dream dead?
Obama: I don’t want to give them the keys back.

That’s it, in a nutshell. Øbama set out to destroy the American Dream, so that he can replace it with his failed Euro socialist utopia. For that purpose, he has driven the economy into the ditch, and he will not willingly give back the keys. Instead, he would use that ditch to bury capitalism and free markets, our American heritage, to advance his Marxist anti-colonialist agenda.

petefrt on October 6, 2010 at 7:17 PM

About 43% for Reid, 32% for Angle, and 9% for Ashjian in the “Registered Voters” crosstab?

That’s got to be an outlier because Ashjian’s pulling closer to 2-4% in most polls, no matter if it’s RV or LV.

teke184 on October 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM

How can we interject Palin into this Nevada Race?

portlandon on October 6, 2010 at 6:15 PM

GOTV rallies in the rurals, and maybe in Reno/Carson. I’m dead serious when I say that could be the difference b/t victory and defeat in this race.

JohnGalt23 on October 6, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Great ad. Put it on TV the weak D seat markets…

ladyingray on October 6, 2010 at 7:30 PM

RGA ads make me want pudding.

Abby Adams on October 6, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Really? That ad made me want anti-convulsants. It made me feel like I was going into an epileptic seizure.

JohnGalt23 on October 6, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Oh, and once again, if you a re considering giving to Sharron Angle…

Please remember that early voting in Nevada starts in 10 days. Nevada has one of the most effective early voting programs in the US. When the polls open on 11/2, 65% of those who will vote in NV will have already voted.

MONEY GIVEN TODAY IN NEVADA WILL BE THREE TIMES AS EFFECTIVE AS MONEY GIVEN IN THE LAST WEEK OF THE CAMPAIGN!!

JohnGalt23 on October 6, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Am I the only one to notice that other bloggers will use either contacts or inside information in their posts but AP, though a brilliant wordsmith, usually tells us nothing that we couldn’t find out from reading stuff ourselves. I live in the UK – was last in Nevada for a few days 10 years ago – yet I get the feeling I could have written this post though my prose would have been clumsier…

Exit question – is AP just a one man News Aggregator who never uses shoe leather?

callingallcomets on October 6, 2010 at 7:46 PM

Can’t imagine what Reid’s October surprise is going to be against Angle, but I imagine it’ll be a doozy. He’s got nothing to lose at this point.

Rational Thought on October 6, 2010 at 8:05 PM

I love Haley Barbour.

DrStock on October 6, 2010 at 8:17 PM

Boo-yah! That brought me joy.

Mojave Mark on October 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM

As a Nevadan voter, my motivation for ousting Harry is so strong that, on Nov. 2nd, if my car won’t start, I’ll walk. If I come down with the flu, I’ll crawl. I’ll get to the polls whatever it takes.

betsyz on October 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

ddrintn on October 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Here is what Danny is doing – supporting Angle full-time:

Read this one last time, get over it, then donate to Angle.

fred5678 on October 6, 2010 at 9:13 PM

On the BOR show, Dennis Miller said that he did a fundraiser in Las Vegas for Angle.

slickwillie2001 on October 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM

callingallcomets on October 6, 2010 at 7:46 PM

I think it a problem that he remains anonymous…i think that hampers his ability to form business relationships a bit…I doubt MeMeMeMac even knows who he really is…

CCRWM on October 6, 2010 at 9:24 PM

betsyz on October 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Betsy, as a Nevada voter, you don’t have to wait until Nov 2 to vote. Early voting starts Sat the 16th. If you are in Clark County, you can find out the early vote schedule by calling 702-455-VOTE (8683).

Remember, vote early, and vote often :)

JohnGalt23 on October 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Friggin’ ROCKS…..!

(may cause nightmares)

Tim_CA on October 6, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Only 40% for Dingy Harry?“Can I get a 39?!”

Khun Joe on October 7, 2010 at 12:20 AM

I wonder if any of them will show up in Congress on the first session after the elections in a duck suit with a crutch.

crosspatch on October 7, 2010 at 1:08 AM

Did anyone notice that Obama is leaving the country two days after the election for India and other places for ten days? Even he doesn’t want to be around the tsunami wave too long after Nov. 2nd. He is the cause of the Wave.

Remember Sharron Angle would be just one of 100 Senators but Harry Reid is the leader of the pack and a rubber stamp for Obama’s failed agenda. We can’t take these guys any longer. And I would love to see Sarah Palin come here for Sharron. I was out at the Tea Party at Searchlight and it was a great rally to retire Harry Reid. Get rid of Titus too.

Please Vote November 2nd and enjoy the election results on Fox News unless you want to hear some crying, then you want to watch MSNBC (Matthews, Olbermann, and Maddow).

KCinLV on October 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM

Everyone be ready for a worse Senate Majority leader than Reid if Repubs don’t take the Senate.

I know he needs to be ousted, but he is moderate compared to what is coming.

scotash on October 7, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Reid is in a crater and asking for jackhammers………

go baby go……….