Limbaugh: I’m not sure about this new Christine O’Donnell ad

posted at 5:41 pm on October 5, 2010 by Allahpundit

I still think it was the best she could do under the circumstances, but my sense via Twitter is that most righty pundits are with Rush on this one. As you’ll see below, both he and S.E. Cupp can’t quite get past the ad’s opening line; same goes for Ladd Ehlinger, the man who directed the now legendary Dale Peterson spot, who was tearing his hair out over it last night. The argument from naysayers is that bringing witchcraft into it renders the whole thing absurd, but let me answer that with this excellent point from Mary Katharine Ham via e-mail:

[T]he smart thing about the ad is the way it uses the silly witch thing as a symbol for attacks on her, thereby obscuring the many [other] issues she really does have. The whole ad’s a giant straw witch, so to speak, and Democrats were so giddy about attacking her on the witch thing that they gave it to her by never dealing with the more serious stuff.

Right. In fact, Cupp touches on the same idea in the second clip below but then quickly, and inexplicably, blows past it. O’Donnell would like nothing more than to lump the various attacks on her educational history, campaign finances, etc, under the heading “witchcraft” because no one takes the witchcraft stuff seriously. It won’t change a single vote. Ironically (and unintentionally), Bill Maher might be doing her a favor by rolling out those old soundbites of hers because they operate as trivial media distractions from the more substantive criticisms of her. What she’s trying to do in the ad is to wipe the entire slate clean by focusing the viewer’s attention on the most innocuous charge of all and laughing it off. (As Fred Davis said to NRO about the ad, “She’ll get to policy fast — had to stem the other tide first.”) It’s risky, but like I said last night, she’s got a pile of lemons here and she has no choice but to try to make lemonade. How is it better to act like the lemons aren’t there when Delaware voters have been hearing about them for a solid month?

Here’s what Coons’s campaign is doing with the ad, incidentally. Exit question: Isn’t it time for a new poll of this race to see if there’s been any movement? It’s been more than a week since the last one. Click the image to watch.

Comments

Rush is a RINO and a member of the ruling class! To the guillotine with him, I say!!!! /s

Seriously, I think the only people worried about the state of Christine O’Donnell’s broom closet are those who have already made up their minds.

Sekhmet on October 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

If people all over the news media are talking about it, and it contains no blatant lies (like a tpyical Grayson ad does,) then it worked.

RBMN on October 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Allah….Let. It. Go. We have an election to win, yet you spend all your time obsessing over NOTHING. Get over it!

alwyr on October 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I like the whole ad, except for the “Witch” part. But her saying “I’m not a witch” sort of neatly bundles up all the attacks she’s had thrown at her into a clean 4 word sentence.

She does seem heartfelt and honest in the commercial. Will it matter?

Probably not.

portlandon on October 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Oh, come on, folks, what word was censored this time?

R*NO, G**ll*tine, or Br**m?

Sekhmet on October 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM

RBMN on October 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

the_nile on October 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM

She needs to come out swinging on Coons.

RedRedRice on October 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Kind of how Obama always brings up the birther stuff to lump all the anger of the tea party under that heading.

Weight of Glory on October 5, 2010 at 5:48 PM

I agree with Kirsten. Christine comes across as a little girl.

meci on October 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Okay, without the /sarc about Rush’s straying from Thee One True Conservatism:

Anybody who worries about the brooms in O’Donnel’s closet is probably someone who has already made up his or her mind not to vote for O’Donnell. I am not sure how this helps much.

Sekhmet on October 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Let what go? Talking about something that Rush Limbaugh talked about to an audience of 20 million people today?

Allahpundit on October 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Jesus Christ. So is she or is she not a witch? Take a stand, Christine.

crr6 on October 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Christine O’Donnell’s first advertisement will start appearing on television this evening, but it’s already been released online and boy, is it a doozy.

If the Coons campaign feels the need to come back this fast then it is an effective ad.

scrubjay on October 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Rush is a RINO!

Ian on October 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

If I was advising McDonnell I would also told her to avoid mentioning the opponents attack.

The dumbest way to address an attack is to acknowledge it. Just said “My opponent is wrong Im not such and such” means that you are bascially saying their attack was effective enought that you had to address it.

The best way to address an attack is to counter it with a postive spin on the issue. McDonnell could have gone on here stating her Christian veiws and veiws that counter the witch charge with out ever mentioning it.

The best counter to an attack is not to show fear or worry but competence. Its harder to attack a person who is on top of their game than it is to hit one who is appologetic.

William Amos on October 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM

or..they sensed a weakness in the add and went after it

runner on October 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I wonder what she will be for Halloween?

tommer74 on October 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

It amazes me how much everyone wants to talk about and analyze someone who has no chance to win (according to those who think they know it all). If she has no chance, why are they pouring money that they need elsewhere into Delaware? If she has no chance, why is anyone concerned with what she says one way or the other?

Unless of course, they think she has a better chance than they are letting on…

UnderstandingisPower on October 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

I agree with Kirsten. Christine comes across as a little girl.

meci on October 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM

A racist little girl? Kirsten can see those things miles away…

the_nile on October 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Allahpundit on October 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

But Allah, I thought all of us true conservatives were blindly backing O’Donnell.

I guess Rush is a newly baptized RINO?

Good Solid B-Plus on October 5, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Wow, much ado about nothing. I listened to it live and did not consider it a big deal.
But go on AP, you are sure to get lots of comments, including mine.

carbon_footprint on October 5, 2010 at 5:56 PM

This ad works as a foundation to re-market herself to Delaware voters. As an outsider to the state, I thought that the ad was fine, but now she needs to focus on the differences between herself and Coons.

The home stretch should be dedicated to ads, meet and greets, and loads of local television time. If she can force Coons to stick to the issues, she’ll easily beat him.

itzWicks on October 5, 2010 at 5:58 PM

I;m still mulling over the possibility of just sawing off the entire state of Delaware and not having this Senate race at all.

myrenovations on October 5, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Double, double, toil and trouble,
Anger burn and outrage bubble.

|-p

Dark-Star on October 5, 2010 at 5:58 PM

This oughta be good for a couple of dozen hits, at least/

hillbillyjim on October 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I wonder what she will be for Halloween?

tommer74 on October 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

A Chinese repo man , taking back what they own..

the_nile on October 5, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Hope you`re wearing your cup, AP.

ThePrez on October 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM

But go on AP, you are sure to get lots of comments, including mine.

I didn’t suggest that Rush was harsh or anything. I’m just saying that there’s a split of opinion on whether the ad’s effective or not; that’s why I mentioned Cupp and Ehlinger, to show that it goes beyond Rush. Not sure why anyone has an issue here.

Allahpundit on October 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Build a bridge out of her.

YYZ on October 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM

As usual, The Hammer nails it.

hillbillyjim on October 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I like the premise of the ad. But I think it was played too straight. She should have used some more humor. If she’s going to discuss the absurd, go all the way with it.

angryed on October 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I think it is a very smart ad. What she is saying is “isn’t that witchcraft thing nuts. So, if that is nuts, why believe anything else they say”

It’s real. Its heartfelt and one of the best and most moving ads I’ve seen.

marnes on October 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Nice, but slow start. Now go for the jugular girl….

sandee on October 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Part of AP’s job is to generate numbers. They’ll be over 200 posts from the Trolls alone.

kingsjester on October 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

or..they sensed a weakness in the add and went after it

runner on October 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM

In that case the Coons campaign would have said nothing at all. (Don’t get in the way when your opponent is in the process of destroying himself.)

The Coons campaign is responding to the “I am you” quote. That is what is bugging them. They don’t want voters to identify with her status as a ordinary person as opposed to Coons’ status as a political creature.

scrubjay on October 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I agree with Kirsten. Christine comes across as a little girl.

meci on October 5, 2010 at 5:49 PM
A racist little girl? Kirsten can see those things miles away…

the_nile on October 5, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Kirstens an idiot. This woman over, and over, on which ever Fox show would have her, she assured millions of Americans, that Obama was straight up about health care, and it wouldn’t raise our costs, and we could keep our doctors. With that kind of intelligence, I almost half wished Christine was a witch, and could do away with Obutthead care.

I don’t rely on Kirsten, because she’s as big a moron as liberals come these days.

capejasmine on October 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

She shouldn’t have mentioned witchcraft, she should have came out authoritative and slammed her opponent……. and then do the Bewitched nose wiggle at the end of the spot, with a cute wink.

She’d get my vote, but then again I used to pretend I was sick so I could stay at home and watch Elizabeth Montgomery on Bewitched reruns.

Alden Pyle on October 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Right, exactly. Like I say, I thought the ad was good.

Allahpundit on October 5, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Build a bridge out of her.

YYZ on October 5, 2010 at 6:01 PM

that’s so funny.

tommer74 on October 5, 2010 at 6:05 PM

alwyr on October 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Is Christine the new Meghan?

Oil Can on October 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I think some folks are just too deep in thinking these ads. It was simple, sincere and plain, like most of us.

fourdeucer on October 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

I would agree in most races. But not this one. If she had ignored it, the piling-on would continue. This a very clever way of desensitizing the attacks on her. One of the reasons why O’Donnell beat Castle in the primary was a backlash against what many perceived as unnecessary personal attacks on her by the State GOP & others.

Sure, the average O’Donnell hater will not change his or her mind. But to the swayable voter, any future personal attack on her will seem less relevant and could possibly lead to another backlash effect given the very personal nature of this ad.

Look, a lot of the attacks on the ad has come from people whose experience on running campaigns is minimal. And to the creator of those Dale Peterson ads, I would simply note that Dale Peterson lost his primary.

Norwegian on October 5, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Kinda Off-Topic:

BOR needs to STOP cutting MKH off mid-sentence. She is always spot-on with her points; yet she never gets to finish a sentence most of the time. O’Really should recognize an asset when he sees one. Pinhead.

hillbillyjim on October 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

COD ‘has a pile of lemons’? What do you call this: The Coons 12: Terrorism, Communist Ties

slickwillie2001 on October 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Jesus Christ. So is she or is she not a witch? Take a stand, Christine.

crr6 on October 5, 2010 at 5:50 PM

So says the troll…

Oil Can on October 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Like most ads, it’s one in a series. The witch thing needed to be mocked and dismissed, and that’s done. If the whole series of ads touches on all the right points over time, it will work.

Ronnie on October 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

kingsjester on October 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM

And always you stalking in the background to deem who is a troll or who is not. Which is actually a pretty easy calculation for you – if they agree with you they are the salt of the earth and part of the great hope to save America. If they don’t agree with me they are a raging troll that should be banned.
*Here let me adjust those blinders for you*

Bradky on October 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

slickwillie2001 on October 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Pre-reqs for running for Congress as a Democrat?

If you don’t have at least a few terrorist/Marxist friends, you’re not legit enough.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

BTW, a memory tweak; it was Linda Tripp that famously said “I am you”.

slickwillie2001 on October 5, 2010 at 6:12 PM

They don’t want voters to identify with her status as a ordinary person

really ? she is enjoying such a status ? then why the add making light of the weirdo/witchcraft charges ?

runner on October 5, 2010 at 6:14 PM

BOR needs to STOP cutting MKH off mid-sentence.

NOT possible. Used to watch him every night…cannot take him anymore. Not so smart blowhard…

winston on October 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I do like the idea of dumping all of her other controversies into one big “witchcraft” bucket. Then she can have fun with it, saying “hocus pocus” and “boo” to her opponent.

John the Libertarian on October 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Essentially my point yesterday (although MKH said it much more astutely, natch): it’s a brilliant move, in my opinion. Pure distraction.

Bee on October 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Bee on October 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Yup. If the Democrats want to focus on the witch smear, I’m 100% in their corner. The witch smear doesn’t hurt her with the voters, but the trumped-up lawsuit and the financial snafus will definitely harm her.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM

BOR needs to STOP cutting MKH off mid-sentence.

winston on October 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM

BOR’s show is all about Bill; the guests, especially the women, are just props to help demonstrate his brilliance.

Look at the most-wasted five minutes in television, the ‘culture quiz’, where Bill pretends that he has a clue what the answers are to quiz questions that some poor schmuck on his staff writes for him. BOR should have stayed a high-school teacher.

slickwillie2001 on October 5, 2010 at 6:19 PM

The O’Donnell ad is a homerun. It mocks the witch claim all the while enchanting us with its slow speech, changing background, and flat out physical beauty of the candidate. Looks matter and Christine has got ‘em.

MaxMBJ on October 5, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Thanks for self-identifying, Pavlov’s Dog.

kingsjester on October 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM

The ad worked. We’re no longer talking about if she did any witchcraft, but rather if it was a good ad or not. Even if the first line is “I am not a witch”, it’s one step removed from where the discussion was prior to this.

Another ad and she can steer the discussion where she wants because everyone is talking about her. I don’t even remember who she’s running against.

MrX on October 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

but the trumped-up lawsuit and the financial snafus will definitely harm her.

Good Solid B-Plus on October 5, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Yep, the recent lies about her school history included. Silliness, no doubt. But a pattern, nonetheless.

Smart move. Still hate the ad, though. :)

Bee on October 5, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I would like to point out that as conservatives, even RINO Establishment types like AP are not the target audience. Well, maybe people like AP are. I wanted her to say a little more, myself. Like “how are you like me?” But, this was a good, solid, first ad.

I give it a ‘B’ conditionally. If other ads follow this and go for policy and politics, then she keeps the ‘B’. If other ads are this soft, then the whole mess drops to a ‘D’.

Chris of Rights on October 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Yes, but the eye jaundiced from watching politics can distort things too. I liked the ad because it was less about clever marketing than how she came across. She was genuine and that’s all that mattered to me.

An ad like that is bound to rate C+ on a typical scale, but it’s a vote-winner today.

Feedie on October 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM

MrX on October 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Excellent, who is she running against again?

fourdeucer on October 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM

“I’m….ummm….kind of like an okay person…so…well….vote for me…or something.”

That will have to go down as the blondest political ad ever.

ElectricPhase on October 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Also, unlike AP, I’m not interested in a poll just yet. This time next week, I want one, after she’s been advertising.

Semi-OT: I just got an e-mail from her, asking me to contribute. What? $2.5M isn’t enough? So far I haven’t seen much production out of that moneybomb. I’ll wait until I see some more before sending more out.

Besides, I think Joe Miller and particularly Sharron Angle might be better places to spend what few $$ I have left in my contribution budget.

Chris of Rights on October 5, 2010 at 6:34 PM

She has to make lemonade, but she should use a different recipe. Something with more mockery.

“Washington is broken, but the people in power don’t want to deal with the real issues. Instead – you can’t make this up – they have actually resorted to accusations of witchcraft. We need to restore common sense to Washington, real reform, etc. etc….

Oh, and since they asked – no, I am not a witch.”

RINO in Name Only on October 5, 2010 at 6:36 PM

Just a little bit OT:

You want to see a devastating commercial, that IMHO (that’s In My Homer Opinion) every Republican in a purple-to-red district should imitate:

The Latest Offering From Soon-To-Be Senator Rand Paul

Pure Gold!!

JohnGalt23 on October 5, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Et tu, Rushbo?

Luka on October 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

The verbal part of the ad, I like. But I didn’t care for the visual. Dark-haired O’Donnell in a black dress on a dark blue background makes it look like she cut the ad in haunted house.

sandspur on October 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Rush is right… As for Coon’s rebutall: weak, very weak. I guess he’s forgotten “we are the one’s we’ve been waiting for”.

Buy Danish on October 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM

But, this was a good, solid, first ad.
I give it a ‘B’ conditionally.
Chris of Rights on October 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Yeah, I liked it the way adults like a play given by kids. It’s the error-prone effort that doesn’t merit extra-ordinary criticism. That makes it genuine. Sure, we’ll expect some polish as part of a growth process, but I think she should stay away from the marketing equivalent of plastic surgery and air-brush.

Trying to appear too clever by half is a mark of the establishment.

Feedie on October 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM

I saw Cupp on Fox this morning and was surprised and dismayed by her take. It certainly wasn’t along the lines of Rush’s, more like Rove as she made sure to insert the already debunked litany of “real issues O’Donnell must confront”.

KittyLowrey on October 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM

And it’s also dismaying to see MKH is still going with the “the more serious stuff” as if it hasn’t been addressed already.

KittyLowrey on October 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM

It’s real. Its heartfelt and one of the best and most moving ads I’ve seen.

marnes on October 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

And despite S.E.’s protestations that nobody was really calling her a witch, they were and it is not a straw man.

KittyLowrey on October 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

She is a horrible candidate and making her the Republican nominee only guaranteed this seat would stay Democrat.

I guess congratulations is in order to the Tea Party. In a year where Republicans have a chance at picking up traditionally, long held Democrat seats, they blew this one.

ramrants on October 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Tea Party candidates eschew conventional wisdom. Therefore, if the wisdom says don’t mention your opponent’s criticism of you, then maybe she should. I agree, call it silly and move on.

Kafir on October 5, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Sekhmet on October 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Rush isn’t a RINO, no way, no how. He’s just someone who says what’s on his mind whenever whatever is on his mind. Daily. So the opinions vary just like yours do, mine do, anyone’s does, with daily opines…difference is you and I don’t (likely) have a media channel with a global audience, but Rush does. So we hear what he’s thinking as he’s thinking it. But I’d never say his thoughts represent “a RINO” perspective, hardly, no way.

I’m not keen on O’Donnell’s ad, too, but I’d not waste time or space talking her down because it’s a weak ad (and it’s a weak ad but not a terrible one) (likely, I am guessing, about what’s bugging Rush about it, too — it doesn’t help the issues involved well).

I agree that those knocking O’Donnell are mostly offensive themselves. The alternatives are much, much worse, and the Left/RINOs seem far more nonplussed about a non-career politico like O’Donnell possibly gaining office than the American people do.

But Rush is not RINO.

Lourdes on October 5, 2010 at 7:28 PM

The fact that she believes that “witches” actually exist disturbs me. Although, I’d rather vote for her than a Democrat that believes an endless supply of money exists.

whiskeytango on October 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

So far, everyone I’ve read who is freaking out about O’Donnell winning the GOP nomination mentions her views on, uhh, “master — you know” …

They leave any issues as footnotes as to their objections. Mostly it’s all about O’Donnell’s views on non-political issues with that particular thing specifically upsetting to many a Leftwinger among Democrats and those among the GOP.

Lourdes on October 5, 2010 at 7:32 PM

It’s real. Its heartfelt and one of the best and most moving ads I’ve seen.

marnes on October 5, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Well, O.K., I’ll have to look at it again and give it another consideration. I just thought it was somewhat “weak” as in, well, just weak. O’Donnell looks pretty glum.

But I’ll go watch it again and am willing to reconsider.

Lourdes on October 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM

ramrants on October 5, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Actually – the congrats should go to you and the Tokyo Rove “establishment” section of the party – who always tell conservatives to “get behind” the nominee even if it’s someone like John McRage.

Double standard much? Not many of you were willing to “get behind” O’Donnell – in fact, you’re all still attacking her more than the Democrats are. I’d be surprised if the DNC spends any money to defeat her since all the so-called “conservative” pundits are doing their work and pounding her for the Democrats.

You can better damn sure believe that if Mitt Romney is nominated as our Presidential candidate – I’ll support him as fully as the establishment has supported O’Donnell. And that includes attacking Mitt on a regular basis and agreeing with Democrats when they attack him.

And I’m not the only one that’ll follow that little precedent either.

Bank that.

HondaV65 on October 5, 2010 at 7:37 PM

whiskeytango on October 5, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Witches do exist. There’s a whole “witch” culture out there. Maybe you mean “black magic” doesn’t exist – in which case – Christine O’Donnell likely agrees with you – since she didn’t even mention it in the ad.

HondaV65 on October 5, 2010 at 7:39 PM

She’s very good, especially when she’s been bad, but I have no idea if the average Delaware voter will care. The Castle people are so angry at her that she’ll probably have to run as a RINO to have a chance. Wouldn’t that be a blast?

Seth Halpern on October 5, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Lourdes on October 5, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I liked it because it’s what I expect from a candidate of Main Street. Nothing fancy, just a statement that connects on the level of humanity.

Karl Rove is memorable as the warlock dropping a bucket of water on himself. The witch establishment is all wet.

Feedie on October 5, 2010 at 8:23 PM

I didn’t see anything wrong with the ad but I did kinda agree with Rush that it would have been even funnier if at the end she’d wiggled her nose and disappeared!

NoLeftTurn on October 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM

Nah, Rush. Sorry, you’re wrong about this. (And, btw, welcome to RINOland, big guy! Grab a towel, the margaritas are out by the pool.)

Hey, I’m a Levin-certified RINO beltway cocktail-swilling commie pinko traitor on the subject of COD, but MKHam’s correct that this ad wasn’t so much about trying to dissuade anybody from the silly notion she’s a witch. Is there anybody over the age of 9 who thinks she really is one? Not likely.

Raising the witch ‘accusation’ here is a clever gambit, an attempt to stuff all of her other more damaging baggage into the least serious bag and try to close it without ever again having to open the rest which are more difficult to defend.

It’s kind of a cross between a red herring and a straw man, isn’t it? “People are accusing me of all this stuff (x, y & z), but, come on, z is patently absurd poppycock, as any reasonable person can plainly see.” And the oblique implication, and hoped-for inference, is that the more serious charges x & y she’s conflating with z but which are not addressed here are just as ridiculous too.

And Fred Davis’ rhetorical sleight of hand here could very well work, especially since this was only the introductory ad & COD’s sitting on enough cash that she can blitz that tiny state (only 1 TV market, if I’m not mistaken) 24-7 for the next 4 weeks with plenty left over.( And maybe then she can finally pay her employees from the last campaign all the money she owes them! )

leilani on October 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Yep, she owes Maher big time for giving her the over-the-top witch charge to serve as a handy diversion away from all the other more troubling stuff.

The really funny thing, though, is that Dems had been successfully painting her as this stereotypically repressed Christian who wants to institute theocracy & outlaw sex, yadayadayada.

But then, inexplicably, the left’s resident genius Bill turns around & ‘exposes’ her as a one-time goth-curious hipster who’s evidently not as rigid as they’d been saying & is actually pretty tolerant of alternative value systems after all.

Hey thanks, Bill! The check’s in the mail! LOL!

leilani on October 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM

What the hell are these “more substantive criticisms”?
The fact is that there aren’t any. The trivial criticisms that I’ve heard of are just that – trivial!
If O’Donnell doesn’t win it will be in large part because of some weird mantra repeated by people who ought to be giving her all the “substantive” support she needs. Isn’t the Primary over yet?….GRrrrr.

Randy

williars on October 5, 2010 at 9:54 PM

That was the first thing I thought about the ad. “I am not a witch” was the perfect metaphor for “Don’t believe all the ridiculous crap said about me in the media.” It was the perfect opening for this ad, which was entirely intended to re-introduce Christine O’Donnell to the public as opposed to the idea of O’Donnell that’s been sold by her political rivals with copious help from the media.

didymus on October 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Rush was right when he spoke about the media on MNF.

GL+HF leftists!

Inanemergencydial on October 6, 2010 at 2:06 AM

The problem with opening with “I’m not a witch,” is that you’re implying that witches are real. And that makes you sound crazy.

Mark Jaquith on October 6, 2010 at 2:17 AM

I’ve had it with the RINO Rush. What has he ever done? Until he runs for office of some type, perhaps he should shut his pie-hole. We don’t need him spreading any of his negative comments, about O’Donnell or her ad, just to cheer up the progressives.

First Elton John, then that dog show, and then talks negatively about her “I’m not a witch political ad.” I think it is long past due that Rush needs to be thrown under the bus.

He can use his girth under the bus to make room for all those RINO’s who comment on Palin in a polite, but questioning tone. Like that RINO Miller!

And be prepared Hot Air for the next 2 years “we” will out all the RINO’s who speak out against Palin – even if it destroys this forum, the party, and the future of the Republic.

True conservatism will prevail with no regards to how long it takes and even if the progressives control both chambers and the White House for decades.

Webler on October 6, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Mark Jaquith on October 6, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Only if you think your dog is talking to you. Most everyone else has given up on believing in magic.

sharrukin on October 6, 2010 at 3:23 AM

Al I can think of is Monty Python.

Have the towns folk replace by Bill Maher and other democrats. It would should how stupid the whole with thing is.

mechkiller_k on October 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Mark Jaquith on October 6, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Witches are real, and have been for quite some time. They’re just nothing like the storybook versions. They think they can do magic, even though I would consider that delusional.

I believe they even think they can cast spells on people.

But in this case, O’Donnell was probably speaking more metaphorically than trying to make a factual statement.

didymus on October 7, 2010 at 2:44 AM