Walter Mondale to Obama: How about you lay off those “idiot boards,” champ?

posted at 6:06 pm on October 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

Apparently it’s affecting his emotional connection with the people. And if anyone’s qualified to opine on connecting with Americans, it’s the guy who lost 49 states to Reagan after serving as Jimmy Carter’s VP.

I love a TOTUS joke as much as the next guy, but … I don’t think he’s joking here.

“He uses these idiot boards to read speeches in television, and I think he loses the connection that he needs emotionally with American voters,” Mondale said in an interview set to air this evening on CNN’s The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, according to a transcript from the network.

“Idiot board” is a term used in television and movie production to refer to boards held up for performers to read off.

“If you’re looking at the teleprompter, you’re here, you’re here, you’re here and you’re — your audience is right there,” Mondale said. “And I think he needs to do more of that.”

Mondale didn’t suggest that Obama needed the teleprompter.

The One did okay using the ‘prompter on the campaign trail two years ago, no? In fact, the two most famous speeches he’s ever delivered — the 2004 convention keynote and the wildly overhyped speech on race in Philadelphia — were both guided by the knowing hand of TOTUS, with nary a word uttered by the Democrats or the media about his emotional distance. On the contrary, they were held up as paradigm examples of his ability to “connect” with voters. Crazy theory: Could it be that, like virtually every liberal pol and pundit in America, Mondale’s also succumbed to ye olde “branding” excuse for the Democrats’ midterm woes? It can’t be that the public’s disgusted with the policies passed during Obama’s first 21 months in office, ergo it must have something to do with the presentation. He’s stiff and disconnected and not “feeling our pain,” etc; that’s why they’re looking at a wipeout, not ObamaCare. I tend to assume that lefties fall back into this dopey consolation because it lets them avoid blaming their ideas for their misfortune, but there’s actually another benefit: There’s still time to change their messaging, so in theory they still have some control over the outcome of the election. If it really is all about policy preferences then, with Congress in recess, they’re sunk. But if it’s a simple matter of The One looking his audience in the eye when he tells them unemployment’s likely to be over nine percent for the foreseeable future — well, then they’ve got a shot.

Exit question: You sure you want this guy wandering off-script, Democrats? You know what happens when he does that, right?

Comments

Heh! Of course, when he doesn’t have the idiot boards, he’s as smooth a speaker as Mel Tillis.

Jim-Rose on October 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Umm, Ahh and Ooohh will live in Infamy!

upinak on October 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Ha ha!!! IBOTUS!!!!

ladyingray on October 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM

LMAO!

I suggest we rename TOTUS to IBOTUS.

Norwegian on October 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM

A joke about the idiots… what’s not to like.

tarpon on October 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Teleprompter or Magic Mirror?

“mirror, Mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”

“Why you are, Mr. President.”

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM

NASA has been working day and night trying to make the Teleprompter contact lens functional.

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:14 PM

It is true that Obama can’t really connect with ordinary people, but can someone point me to a scheduled speech delivered by any President over the past twenty years that didn’t involve a teleprompter? I’m curious.

YYZ on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

When I want political advice, I ask Walter Mondale!

The only man in history to lose an election in all 50 states! (He lost 49 when he ran for President, and lost Minnesota when he ran for the Senate after Wellstone died.)

Realist on October 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Those TOTUS are like his American Express. He never goes anywhere without them!

capejasmine on October 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Umm, Ahh and Ooohh will live in Infamy!

upinak on October 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM

And my personal ‘favorite’: tuh. As in, “we’re going tuh have high unemployment as long as I’m still running the show.”

azkag on October 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM

(D) = Drive

Thus the fine new Democrat logo.

I like (P) for putzes.

pain train on October 4, 2010 at 6:17 PM

azkag on October 4, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I thought it was spelled… taah. But I like your spelling better. :)

upinak on October 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM

…can someone point me to a scheduled speech delivered by any President over the past twenty years that didn’t involve a teleprompter? I’m curious.

YYZ on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

At a rodeo? In a classroom addressing schoolchildren?

Seriously?

pain train on October 4, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I think that’s why Mondale wants Obama to get of TOTUS. If ever there’s an opportunity for Mondale to improve his legacy, it’s Obama losing all 57 states.

Weight of Glory on October 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM

YYZ on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

SOTU speeches is one thing. But our idiot-in-chief uses his idiot boards for everything, including chats with schoolchildren (remember the one he held in Phildelphia last month)?

Norwegian on October 4, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, when you want to keep going in exactly the wrong direction, everybody knows you keep it in D.

Christien on October 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM

YYZ on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Here you go.

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM

TOTUS without the ‘promter…..what could go wrong…..go with that barry……signed, a concerned D…….

t on October 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Teleprompter or Magic Mirror?

“mirror, Mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?”

“Why you are, Mr. President.”

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM

ROFL!!

capejasmine on October 4, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Dear President Obama,

The Republicans may have drove the car in the ditch. But by going so hard left you have drove the car across the median and into oncoming traffic while pushing the gas pedal to the floor. That’s why you are hearing so many people complaining.

Sincerely
The American Taxpayer

RossMcG on October 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM

YYZ on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Here you go.

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM

The Left will of course try to claim that wasn’t a “scheduled speech”, but Bush was scheduled to be there at that time, so it was just that. Presidents are always on a schedule when they are “doing the peoples’ business”, as evidenced by the Daily Schedule the White House Press Office puts out.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM

I thought it was spelled… taah.

upinak on October 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I thought I was the only one who notices that 11 year old girl ‘taah’.
Irritating as all hell. Almost as bad as the lisp.

Lanceman on October 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Perfect.

dont taze me bro on October 4, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Yeah, write your notes on your hand like everybody else, moron!

westernflyer on October 4, 2010 at 6:28 PM

OT:
You must have a Sgt Shultz post coming up.
Some outfit determined there were about 110,000 people on the mall this past weekend – so Special Ed picks a special outlier CBS poll and says Glenn Beck only had 83,000.

Marcus on October 4, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Yeah, write your notes on your hand like everybody else, moron!

westernflyer on October 4, 2010 at 6:28 PM

You’re racist to bring up the fact that Obama can’t write on his hands.

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM

YYZ on October 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

I don’t have any particular objection to Obama (or anybody) using it for a long speech, but he totes the damn thing around with him everywhere. He took it into a conference room with an audience of about 6 people; he took it to the gulf coast for some remarks on the oil spill — and both of these incidents were for comments that couldn’t have been more than a few sentences long.

I can’t recall ever seeing any other president behaving like that. Obama really does seem to be unnaturally dependent on the teleprompter — and Mondale is right: it does make him look like an idiot.

AZCoyote on October 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM

OT: While watching Special Report, I just heard a new Andy Griffith ad touting how Obamacare will preserve Medicare for “our kids and grandkids.”

LOL. And he’s almost incoherent. Did he have a stroke?

BuckeyeSam on October 4, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You’re racist to bring up the fact that Obama can’t write on his hands.

portlandon on October 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM

ZING!

Lanceman on October 4, 2010 at 6:35 PM

Jim-Rose on October 4, 2010 at 6:08 PM

without music.

Kermit on October 4, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I like the teleprompter use in small meetings.

tommer74 on October 4, 2010 at 6:37 PM

The whole TOTUS thing rings true on more than one level. It’s not just the overuse of the technology; it’s also the unthinking regurgitation of the ideology.

Christien on October 4, 2010 at 6:38 PM

so remember when BIg Dawg’s SOTU Telepromptr had wrong speech and he gave the right one from memory?

yeah, SOOOO not gonna happen with Obama

If Obama gave a speech without his TOTUS it would have now words, therefore it would be silent…

ergo I ask,

if Obama gave his speech without his TOTUS would anyone hear it?

ginaswo on October 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM

/no words

ginaswo on October 4, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Umm, Ahh and Ooohh will live in Infamy!
upinak on October 4, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I, I, I, uh, uh, uh. Let me be clear. I’ve said this all along. Uh.

Paul-Cincy on October 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM

YZN

Bill did it cuz his TOTUS had wrong speech on it

ginaswo on October 4, 2010 at 6:40 PM

When you find yourself in a hole with your car policies, and your liberal friends Mr. President, do us all a favor and keep digging.

Rovin on October 4, 2010 at 6:41 PM

If he looses the teleprompter does that mean that the red bouncing ball will be on the unemployment line?
Maybe the lady from Romper Room will let him use her magic mirror. It may help him connect with the little people.

milwife88 on October 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM

No no, I agree with Walt. If PBHO were to look me in the eyes and tell me that he wants to mortgage my children’s future to pay for his demented schemes, I could support him. Why, because I would know that he cares.

Bishop on October 4, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Obama is forgetting his passengers.

Fanny Mae in the backseat.

And Freddie Mac ridin’ shotgun.

And dirty.

And ran roughshod over our economy -through the naked political machinations by Barry’s mentors in the banking biz.

profitsbeard on October 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM

And can Austan Goolsbee, amateur comedian, write a new gag for Barry already? It’s October, so Slurpee jokes are kinda last summer. Gotta love Barry’s eyes-closed delivery though…he’s in The Zone!

Christien on October 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Slurpee and Car in a Ditch v. 3.0

In case you missed it the first time. Heh.

Terrie on October 4, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Didn’t he use it when he was talking to a smal group of 5th graders?

I think he just likes looking at his reflection as he speaks.

LASue on October 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM

AZCoyote on October 4, 2010 at 6:31 PM

If it were a Republican President we were talking about here (Chimpy Bush to be exact) the Left would of course claim that he was using the teleprompter to read not his own words, but the words of the evil Karl Rove.

Del Dolemonte on October 4, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Exactly. That’s why Marxism lives on in spite of all it’s fundamental failures. It is simply incompatible with human nature no matter how soft the tyranny. That’s why eventually want to get around to altering human nature itself.

And on that topic, if you haven’t watched Serenity, you should.

FloatingRock on October 4, 2010 at 6:51 PM

OT

I think it is quite sad that Andy Griffith is being used is his old age by socialists whose Obamacare will devastate the life of seniors.

Dhuka on October 4, 2010 at 6:51 PM

CNN is a joke. Who asks Mondale about anything? No wonder no one watches them anymore. I’m sure the Parker/Spitzer show will change all that, though. /s

scalleywag on October 4, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I’m sorry, after I read to the “dale” in Mondale, I fell asleep. I’d go back and try to read it again, but it won’t change anything.

BTW, the only reason he didn’t lose all 50 states is that his home state closed the polls early when the humiliating defeat was imminent.

DrAllecon on October 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I always suspected that Mondale was a racist.

warden on October 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Mondale was a fool then and he’s a fool now, but he’s right that Obama is a fool, too.

FloatingRock on October 4, 2010 at 6:57 PM

CNN, getting opinions from people who matter. But he is right, Mr. President looks like a juvenile school boy trying to fill a grown up’s post. Oh wait…that’s exactly what he is. This president is making me wish somehow Al Gore had won. And I never ever would have voted for Gore.

scalleywag on October 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM

Dear President Obama,

The Republicans may have drove the car in the ditch. But by going so hard left you have drove the car across the median and into oncoming traffic while pushing the gas pedal to the floor. That’s why you are hearing so many people complaining screaming in abject terror.

Sincerely
The American Taxpayer

RossMcG on October 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM

FIFY.

Chris of Rights on October 4, 2010 at 7:02 PM

When he doesn’t use the idiot boards he sounds like an idiot.

halfastro on October 4, 2010 at 7:04 PM

Sidenote: Mondale, like Carter, mispronounced “nuclear”. It’s beyond me why not only the left but even many on the right hyped it as something peculiar for GWB.

KittyLowrey on October 4, 2010 at 7:08 PM

What makes me angry that it took a democrat to call them idiot boards…us conservatives are not keeping our eye on the ball.
Darn I wish I would have thought of that term…it’s perfect for this occasion.

right2bright on October 4, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Obama is an idiot.

SouthernGent on October 4, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I always liked the way Mondale laughed when Reagan hit him with this zinger. Good times.

Christien on October 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Without the boards Obama would be a idiot on steroids.

Hummer53 on October 4, 2010 at 7:22 PM

“Me & Joe”, there’s a Harvard education for you! I suppose he was using incorrect grammar so that we uneducated rubes would understand what he was talkin’ ’bout.

-Aslan’s Girl

Aslans Girl on October 4, 2010 at 7:24 PM

He uses the idiot boards because…..ta-dah! HE IS AN IDIOT!!

Sekhmet on October 4, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Oh damn that is SO SO accurate………

RealMc on October 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM

I suspect its because he doesn’t know what he’s going to say without them.
Having the prompters means no prep work is necessary.

MayBee on October 4, 2010 at 7:27 PM

LOL. And he’s almost incoherent. Did he have a stroke?

BuckeyeSam on October 4, 2010 at 6:32 PM

That’s the odd thing about those ads, he’s changed so much that without the hype about the ad, I wonder how many people would know who it was, vs just some old addled geezer. I was never a fan of the tv show, so I certainly didn’t.

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2010 at 7:32 PM

s/b “without”

Christien on October 4, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Without the TOTUS he’s just the POSOTUS.

IronDioPriest on October 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM

It’s odd that a campaign team that we have been told is just the most excellent evah can’t adapt the equipment to the setting. Using two teleprompters, one to each side for a meeting of 12 people? Using two teleprompters with the tennis-match effect when 99.999999% of those watching the speech are at home? Have they thought of one teleprompter at center-low? Duh. Is this rocket science?

The more I look at this dope, the more I have to conclude that McCain didn’t want to win.

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM

He’s right about the Idiot-Boards part, but then Mondale goes on to call Obama “brilliant”.

Does not compute.

I’ve yet to ever see Obama reveal a person who is “brilliant” — what he IS is a very cool Confidence Man. He’s talented but he’s certainly not “brilliant”.

Lourdes on October 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM

“Idiot board” That is great! Here is a pleasant memory of a halfwit using two teleprompters to talk to 6th grade kids

Nearly Nobody on October 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Now there’s a guy Barry should get some advice from!

I think what DemonRats have here is a classic lose-lose situation.

2ipa on October 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Does not compute.

Lourdes on October 4, 2010 at 7:43 PM

And what I mean by “very cool Confidence Man” is “cool” as in, calm and collected, contrived, under very rigorous control as to preventing others from seeing the motives involved. NOT “cool” as in great or trendy-fine, but “cool” as in, “highly manipulative”.

When someone you least expect betrays you while you’ve just left their “caring, compassionate, empathetic” side — they swore to you their support and friendship — that’s a cool manipulator, someone who will encourage you so they can thwart you or in Obama’s case, so they can use you and take what’s yours and convince you that you *really wanted to give it to him anyway*.

Lourdes on October 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Eliot Spitzer
Kathleen Parker
Walter Mondale

That’s a real fine team of stellar political and intellectual titans you got there,CNN.
Put these three boneheads on the Jeopardy panel and they might beat Wolf Blitzer’s negative low total.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 4, 2010 at 7:50 PM

My God, he is such an idiot with his overuse of the car metaphor, and he’s proud as a witless moron every time he’s tellin’ it.

ya2daup on October 4, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I’m so bored by that “drove into a ditch” bit.

Message to POTUS: it’s not your call whether the GOP gets the keys back; the voters do that. And they seem eager to yank them out of your joyriding hands.

sulla on October 4, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I still think he had a problem with stuttering as a child. I think that is one reason he moves his hands in a rhythm, something he learned to help him overcome stuttering. Maybe reading he doesn’t have as much of a problem. Mel Tillis had to sing to keep from stuttering. Each person has a different way to overcome.

Oleta on October 4, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Walter, Walter, Walter.

You see Obama as a fellow Democrat?

He’s our first black President!

He ain’t got time for book learning!

He’s lazy, only interested in recreation, doesn’t get to the office until 9:30am, and has to make time for Sports Center.

You know, Walt, this man got to CHILL.

David2.0 on October 4, 2010 at 9:16 PM

First, advice from Jimmy Carter…

Then, Michael Dukakis…

Now, Walter Mondale…

He’d be better off listening to Larry, Moe and Curly…

Yummy… PASS THE PUDDING!!

Khun Joe on October 4, 2010 at 10:12 PM

But I think he — he’s very bright — as a matter of fact, brilliant. And I think he tends to — and he uses these idiot boards to read speeches on television and I think he loses the connection that he needs emotionally with American voters.”

Brilliance is indignant.

Schadenfreude on October 5, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Barry left out the part about the Dems drunk driving with mom and dad’s credit cards……in all 20 versions of this lamea$$ analogy.

Walter Mondale. Really? I met him at a political rally thingie back in 80. He is a total jerk. He was snide and nasty to the people doing his hair/adjusting his jacket/etc. Then he came out all big, generous smiles. Urgh.

di butler on October 5, 2010 at 2:02 AM

Obviously, in this case, the term is entirely appropriate.

NoFanofLibs on October 5, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Wasn’t the Loony Left speculating that the evil Chimpy got an implant so he could get messages directly from his controllers and really didn’t need a teleprompter?

What is taking Soros so long? Or does he have the new Slurpee Controller System that requires messages flashed up on the teleprompter to work? Or maybe Obama is just thinking about a career change to being a clerk at a 7-11…

It’s really hard to tell with these super-duper smart morons in charge.

ajacksonian on October 5, 2010 at 7:02 AM

If you’ve driven the car to the edge of a cliff, would you prefer that car to be put in “D” or “R”?

Selkirk on October 5, 2010 at 8:54 AM