Video: “Parker/Spitzer” debuts — with a critique of Palin

posted at 6:49 pm on October 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

Looks like the detente is over. This particular criticism, that Palin’s trying to advance herself professionally by being flirtatious, is an old favorite of Parker’s but it seems newly ironic after CNN’s flirty romcom-esque promo for her own show debuted last month. Even New York mag picked up on the vibe in its big tell-all about the cable news industry today:

Klein remained interested in Spitzer and arranged for the two to meet, and in the late spring Parker took the Acela to New York and showed up at Spitzer’s office. “It was one of the strangest dates ever,” Parker tells me. “We joked this is closest either of us will get to an arranged marriage.”

On a recent morning, Parker is sitting opposite Spitzer and their executive producer Liza McGuirk at a corner table inside the cavernous tenth-floor CNN cafeteria, with Columbus Circle filling the window.

“Well, you were approving me or checking me out,” Parker says teasingly.

Spitzer shifts uncomfortably. “I wouldn’t use those phrases.”

The pair have a surprising, adult chemistry, simultaneously flirty and professional. In our conversation, Parker plays the teasing office wife humbling Spitzer, who playfully takes the abuse.

Note to CNN: If jokes aimed at Client Number Nine about checking women out are a regular feature of this show, I will be tuning in. Elsewhere in “Parker/Spitzer” news today, we learn from Howard Kurtz that the two people they had on to discuss the tea party were hard-lefty Thomas “What’s the Matter with Kansas?” Frank and NYT reporter Kate “Who’s this obscure Hayek fellow, anyway?” Zernike. Good work. The fun begins tonight at 8 p.m.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Spitzer: Obamao knows all this.

Parker: Palin know all this.

AshleyTKing on October 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Parker is convinced Sarah Palin flirts her way to success for exactly the same reason that the David Axelrod assumed the Tea Party was pure astroturf.

Projection doesn’t just happen in that little room at the back of the Cineplex you know!

drunyan8315 on October 4, 2010 at 9:22 PM

pot meet kettle??

quiz1 on October 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM

The show was horrible, O’Reilly’s top spot is safer than ever.

HotAirExpert on October 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM

I threw Kathleen Parker’s books in the trash barrel a long time ago.

Mae on October 4, 2010 at 9:47 PM

OMG, that was AWFUL! Kathleen has the personality of a garden pot. Yeah, that’s gonna be a HIT CNN show. /sarc

MsUnderestimated on October 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Did you catch George Soros’ latest hateful, spiteful, nasty snipe at America? He says that the U.S. “needs more Stimulus, not values”.

I mean, talk about an evil man, an evil statement…

same as Parker about Palin but it’s really that they’re both talking about the same thing. Palin is just in the spotlight, so they’re targeting her, but it’s really about something else.

Lourdes on October 4, 2010 at 7:30 PM

CORRECTION…

The evil creep said “what America needs is more Stimulus, not VIRTUE.”

Values, virtue, it seems that both are poison to Soros. Or, like garlic to a vampire.

Lourdes on October 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Parker is an ugly woman, all done up for the studio and still unattractive and plain. That is why she hates Palin, there is not other reason for incessant mocking and personal digs at the Governor.

Daemonocracy on October 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Client #9 found himself a new ho…

SuperCool on October 4, 2010 at 10:00 PM

The show needs its own logo — some artsy rendition of a credit card and swiper. Is that wrong?

Feedie on October 4, 2010 at 8:32 PM

Close-up of top of bedroom chest of drawers, cash stacked under an empty lipstick cap and a used foil wrapper…

Lourdes on October 4, 2010 at 10:03 PM

The show was just unwatchable…it was that bad.

Can you imagine the CNN ratings with:

- “(Mark) Steyn OnAir”

or

- “Breitbart!”

but they won’t do it.

aquaviva on October 4, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Up against O’Reilly?

I’ll never see any of it…

Khun Joe on October 4, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Eeyore — can’t you make this the last Parker/Spitzer thread — please? Really, it is pathetic. Just ignore them. The harder we ignore them, the sooner their sad little show will sink out of sight and they will be gone.

SunSword on October 4, 2010 at 10:15 PM

HotAirExpert on October 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM

Holy crap! Hot Air is giving out merits now? Can I get HotAirAdvancedBeginner?

John the Libertarian on October 4, 2010 at 10:25 PM

Daemonocracy on October 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Be that as it may, I sometimes go back to the 2008 campaign and Parker’s comments about Palin and how her husband had mused about Palin’s attractiveness.

Many of us here interpreted Parker’s comments as saying that her husband found Palin sexy, and therefore Parker was just jealous, but I didn’t think so. She seemed to be saying that her husband thought Palin’s support came from other people who found Palin to be sexy and attractive.

But isn’t that the same thing? Her husband was openly acknowledging that he could see why other people were so attracted to her that they would form their political judgment of her on that alone. Ouch.

Verdict: Husband guilty of Horndogging. And Parker? Guilty on one count of petty jealousy and a second count of sapphic fantasy in the first degree.

Oh, yes.

Jaibones on October 4, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Apparently going for the rating’s on day one.

heshtesh on October 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Jaibones on October 4, 2010 at 10:27 PM

That’s a whole can-o-worms. How many women voted for Bammie because he was overwhelmingly better looking than Johnny Mac? How many women with Mandingo complex or other fantasies?
Why is this just a thing with women candidates?

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM

What a train wreck of a show. I watched about ten minutes and saw that tool from ‘West Wing’ unleash a vile personal attack on Palin while promoting his stupid movie. Good move numbnuts – alienate sixty percent of your possible audience while you establish your credentials as a lefty hater.

Spitzer sure gives the show a creepy vibe. Parker remains attractive enough to be fearful should his gaze linger too long. I suggest she carry mace for the few weeks they remain on air.

DeweyWins on October 4, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Once upon a time, Kathleen Parker found her niche and she wrote, what she thought people wanted to hear. Since she went to the Washington Post, she seems to be speaking her mind. She’s definitely a Washington Post conservative, sort of like David Brooks is a NY Times Conservative.

Well, it’s good that CNN now has a “conservative” there. I’m sure O’Reilly is in a sweat about this show.

bflat879 on October 4, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Her analysis of Palin was a tour de force of hypocricy. She makes a huge paycheck to cutely tease us with a commentary accusing Palin of teasing us with coy non answers from a cute gold digging woman. And then she coyly gave Spitzer a non answer to his question.

jimw on October 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Not going to watch the show and not going to watch the above video. He is despicable and so is she. I don’t waste my time on losers.

silvernana on October 5, 2010 at 12:31 AM

Parker should give Spitzer a holiday gift of socks while on air.

wins the thread

YehuditTX on October 5, 2010 at 2:02 AM

OMG..she wore off-white panty hose!?!

SouthernGent on October 4, 2010 at 6:53 PM
You do know its been confirmed that off white hose hides kankles.?…

Amadeus on October 4, 2010 at 9:02 PM

At least we know you gents focus on the content of the ideas of the speakers…. /sarc

Bradky on October 5, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Instead of going to the dentist to get my teeth drilled without novicaine, I decide to watch “Parker Spitzer” on my tivo. Painful isn’t even close to describing it. But for those of you with a life who couldn’t bring yourself to see this trainwreck, let me break it down for you. Slam Palin segment, Elizabeth Warren, Slam Palin Segment, Slam Palin Segment, Roundtable segment in which each of the particpants were asked to “say something nice about Sarah”, and a Slam Palin Segment. (The panel was diverse, idiologically, but the woman on the panel decided to talk about Palin’s contribution to FASHION rather than mention her inspiring scads of Conservative women to run for office. But she is the woman on the panel…so I suppose it wasn’t SEXIST, right?)

I am not really sure if this is the direction you want to go if your motive is steal viewers from O’Reilly and Fox. But I must say..If this isn’t Must See TV, I don’t know what is.

Dan Pet on October 5, 2010 at 6:30 AM

Palin? Spitzer wishes and Parker turns deep envious green.

And I thought – Hardball was the end of sane TV….

Don L on October 5, 2010 at 6:48 AM

If Palin is so dumb and irrelevant, can someone please tell me why they keep talking about her?

For the very same reason that atheists keep arguing about the God they say doesn’t exist – they lie!

Don L on October 5, 2010 at 6:56 AM

Aaron Sorkin is a low life scrunt.

Hilts on October 5, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Does Parker still write for National Topsider? Boy, what a stable of conservative talent that place is!

james23 on October 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM

Why is this just a thing with women candidates?

slickwillie2001 on October 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM

Probably because most of the comments here are from men. Heh. But I have no doubt that Parker’s obsession is all tied up in blue.

Jaibones on October 5, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Yes, please no more. I am compelled to watch, then hate that I did. Running to the shower now.

pgrossjr on October 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I see KP is once again sporting a pearl necklace.

I assume Client #9 gave that to her.

pain train on October 5, 2010 at 9:28 AM

“….if a tree the ‘Parker/Client #9′ show falls in the woods finally airs, does it make a sound anyone watch or care?”

olesparkie on October 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Here is my line of questioning if I were able to ask Parker, of the stars of the blockbuster new smash hit ratings bonanza on CNN at 8, some questions about Palin:

ME: Ms. Parker, isn’t it true that you did not challenge Aaron Sorkin about his statement that Palin is “an idiot”?

PARKER: Well, yes…its true..I mean I would necessarily……..

ME: And, isn’t it true that during the 2008 campaign, in a now famous OpEd piece, you urged Governor Palin to resign from the campaign because she wasn’t “ready for primetime”?

PARKER: Well, yes….based on her one interview with Katie……

ME: And isn’t it true that on your show in your “Opening Arguments” segment, you acknowledged that Palin had “it” and that you didn’t expect her to become what she has?

PARKER: MMM..I am not sure that those were my exact words….but……ye

ME: So you would have to admit then that if Palin had taken your advice then, she would have left the campaign in disgrace and, most likely, her political career might very well have been over.

PARKER: I am no psychic so I can’t say what her future may have held…but yes…I suppose that could have happened that way.

ME: So, to sum up, she DID NOT take your SAGE advice and her career has soared and it is Palin that’s the idiot, right?

Dan Pet on October 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Has anyone else declared? If so, I missed it… If not… WTF? And even if… Sarah obviously knows what she’s doing… Shiite, even Barry knows that.
Can we just call this show plain ole… Parker Spits now?

RalphyBoy on October 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM

The fun begins tonight at 8 p.m.

No Thanks.