British columnist: Sure, I’d put a pillow over my child’s face if it was “deeply suffering”

posted at 8:48 pm on October 4, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via Newsbusters and the Blaze, I’ll leave it to you to divine the parameters of “deeply suffering.” A possible clue per her thoughts on abortion:

Miss Ironside said: ‘If a baby’s going to be born severely disabled or totally unwanted, surely an abortion is the act of a loving mother.’…

The writer said she recognised that disabled people could lead active and fulfilling lives.

But she said there were millions of disabled and unwanted children around the world who were left suffering in institutions.

‘To go ahead and have a baby, knowing that you can’t give it some kind of stable upbringing, seems to me to be cruel,’ she said.

Option one: Stable upbringing. Option two: Killing it in the womb. Option three: …a mystery, alas. Perhaps someday someone will think of something. In the meantime, though, I’m curious. Is she sure that smothering would be the quickest, most painless way to deal with a “deeply suffering” child? Maybe slamming it against something heavy would hurry things up. Food for thought.

Between this and that “final solution” vid for climate change skeptics, ever find yourself feeling a little relieved that the “special relationship” is over?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Why not just throw it into the trash bin. Oh, wait, that’s reserved for kittens.

Kissmygrits on October 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

Nah, I’m just a regular Mom. And a Mom’s gotta do what a Mom’s gotta do. And sometimes there are hard times to suffer through, but, you know everyone, has their troubles.

There are lots of Moms and Dads out there sitting by bedsides, just doing what Moms and Dads with sick, injured, or disabled kids do. I know. I have met a lot of them over the years.

But I think I will print out you kind words, anyway. And then hand it to The Kid the next time I have to tell him, “I realize you are all grown up and 15 years old, but NO you can’t go the the boy-girl sleep over at Nathan’s house. And, you are right, I don’t care if everyone else is going and you will be socially humiliated because your Mom is so uncool. Because I am evil like that.”

Lily on October 4, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Thank you. Thank you. As the mom of an autistic teen, I thank you for the laugh. I needed it today. And I will add my voice, since I have “moral authority”. My daughter deeply suffered for over a decade- now she is looking at going to college to study Chinese and Japanese. Her savant skills make her have super human powers when it comes to languages. She also went to Homecoming this weekend, and had a blast. Who do these sick libs think they are to take away her experiences? She has a well of compassion for others from what she has suffered. Libs want to eliminate suffering? If they succeed, they will eliminate depth of character.

Kristamatic on October 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Kristamatic on October 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

No, they will simply create much, much more suffering, of a far worse kind.

TexasDan on October 4, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Hey, let’s outlaw suffering. Penalty for suffering: death. There, everybody happy now?

bitsy on October 4, 2010 at 11:30 PM

This is Compassionate Liberalism, eugenics with a happy face. It is more compassionate and loving to kill than to let someone suffer. Imagine the ObamaCare implications. When are we going to realize that people who say they are pro-choice are really pro-abortion. This is why President Obama’s omission of the Creator in his “quote” of the Declaration of Independence ought to concern us. The value of life is no longer grounded in God, and therefore based on the relative desires of the State and those in power.

Blue Collar Todd on October 4, 2010 at 11:37 PM

How bout we just put a bag over your face.

Hummer53 on October 4, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Well, in Virginia Ironside’s case, I’d make an exception and allow her mother an abortion in the 241st trimester.

She’s obviously suffering. I can see it in her eyes.

ButterflyDragon on October 4, 2010 at 11:46 PM

Why use a pillow? Just take your child to the nearest Greenie, I hear they like blowing people up.

/sarcasm

Jewels on October 4, 2010 at 11:59 PM

I’m sure that “deeply suffering” in this case really means “becomes an inconvenience.”

A lot of this talk of compassion/mercy killing really just smacks me of selfish laziness. You aren’t doing it to ease anyone’s pain, you ******s, you’re doing it because you don’t feel like taking care of anyone but yourself.

DangerHighVoltage on October 5, 2010 at 12:13 AM

To paraphrase Archie Bunker, Virginia Ironside needs to take a pillow and stifle herself, and let the babies live.

Steve Z on October 5, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Kristamatic on October 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

I wouldn’t wish what my son has gone through on anyone….BUT…the entire family, including The Kid himself, have learned things about unconditional love, the value of compassion, and the goodness and kindness of strangers that I believe we never would have learned any other way.

But that’s libs for you. It never crosses their minds that there could be a benefit from not having everything go your way all the time and that you can learn from your trials and tribulations.

Lily on October 5, 2010 at 12:24 AM

This woman sounds cracked. I’m pro-choice and I do agree that if the fetus is severely disabled (spina bifida, Down’s syndrome, etc.) then abortion should be an option. But to say that it’s a loving mother that aborts an unwanted baby is flatly wrong. It’s not loving towards the baby. It’s the woman choosing to take care of her own wishes. That’s legal and I support it, but nobody should be putting on airs like it’s a kind act.

Jill1066 on October 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Just an FYI – Down syndrome is not even close to being “severely disabled.”

Candy Slice on October 5, 2010 at 12:29 AM

To liberals – wantedness determines personhood before and after birth.

Candy Slice on October 5, 2010 at 12:30 AM

This Ironside woman’s thinking is straight-up from the devil. His goal is to destroy God’s most precious creation. Eugenics satisfies this goal. Instead of protecting and cherishing innocent life, these progressive monsters exalt trees, fish, noble gases. These folks are all kinds of evil.

citrus on October 5, 2010 at 12:34 AM

Surely this was staged by Ali G.

dont taze me bro on October 5, 2010 at 12:42 AM

It’s for the children

J_Crater on October 5, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Instead of smothering the “suffering child”, why not see if someone else might be able to care of the kid?

But it all becomes what they could not imagine being tolerable.

(OT- Cute Lady Minister.)

profitsbeard on October 5, 2010 at 12:48 AM

How about if the child might possibly get better, but is suffering now? Still the pillow?

Considering how long strangling with a pillow takes, wouldn’t a bullet to the brain be faster and more compassionate?

What qualifies as “suffering”? A toothache? Adolescent angst? Possibly curable leukemia?

Speaking as one who has lived through an “incurable” disease, one of the most painful there is, I’ll say: There are limits to constant pain; even howling, screaming, years-long crying pain. Intermittent pain is harder, but even there, there are limits. Anyone who reflects on this will realize that pain, as terrible as it can be, cannot be infinite. A lot of people have such an aversion to any pain, theirs or another’s that they’re willing to kill themselves or others to avert it. That’s a product of fear, not rationality.

Morphine can’t touch some types of nerve pain, and anti-convulsants have their very finite limits… but most pain is treatable nowadays. It’s trite but true: Where there’s life there’s hope. How many times have you heard about someone being diagnosed terminal in a year or months and going on to live years or decades in reasonably good shape? Not in every instance certainly, maybe not even most, but often enough that no-one should be quick about putting a revolver to a child’s head because it’s sniffling now.

theCork on October 5, 2010 at 12:51 AM

If recovery is hopeless and the child is deeply suffering, then I agree with her. If you disagree, then you must face that you would choose to cause the lifelong agony of an innocent to satisfy your own self-righteousness. The idea that such a choice is clear and obvious is lazy and thoughtless.

bagoh20 on October 4, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Most agony isn’t life-long. And life itself isn’t terribly long. And there’s a spark of hope in the darkest of circumstances. As Dread Pirate Roberts once said:

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Most people will suffer in time. Getting old isn’t for pansies. If you can’t endure that fact, you know where the exit is.

theCork on October 5, 2010 at 1:01 AM

OUT-Death Panels
IN-Death Pillows

di butler on October 5, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Since liberals/leftists insist life must be pain free, why do they insist on enacting their idiotic policies?

NoDonkey on October 5, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Horrible woman, face like a bulldog sucking a lemon.

Sharke on October 5, 2010 at 2:34 AM

The 3rd Reich started putting disabled children to death before they even went to war.

Observation on October 5, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Observation on October 5, 2010 at 2:45 AM

Agree! The NAZI’s referred to them as a waste of time and money to support them. They were considered “unfit” and put to death. This women thinks along the same lines and is a modern day – Dr. Mengele.

flintstone on October 5, 2010 at 3:09 AM

‘IT’

She keeps referring to a ‘loving’ child as ‘IT’

‘Nuff Said. A truly self-absorbed, heart-less b!itch.

Phil-351 on October 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Definitely told me every thing I need to know about this ghoul.

Gang-of-One on October 5, 2010 at 3:13 AM

I guess I showed how much I hated my kid by sitting at his bedside and holding his hand, feeding him ice chips, and traveling to hospitals in 5 states so he could get the best care possible as he suffered through his 8 grueling spine surgeries over 6 years…. when all I needed was a pillow.

Lily on October 4, 2010 at 9:32 PM

No, you showed that you are the highest exemplar of motherhood. Pillow Woman shows that she is the lowest of beasts.

Gang-of-One on October 5, 2010 at 3:31 AM

“That is, if I had a child. Or knew anyone who could stand children.”

NoDonkey on October 5, 2010 at 4:32 AM

In 1939, Germany started paying doctors and midwives to report any child, under the age of 3, who exhibited any mental or physical defects.

The children’s files would then be examined by a board of 3 physicans and placed into 3 categories.

The 1st category would be allowed to survive.

The 2nd would be placed under “observation”. Their fate would be determined later.

The 3rd would be identified for “selection”, “treatment”, “disinfection”, “cleaning”. Codewords for extermination.

Parents of 3rd category children were told that they were better parents for allowing the state to care for their children. That it was too costly and too much of a burden for them and it was best for the child.

Once in the hospitals, the children were usually starved, gassed or smothered.

Staff was told that they were ending suffering and eliminating the burden of these “useless eaters.”

Chilling how similar Ironsides’ arguments sound to the Nazi’s eugenics programs.

panzerkardinal on October 5, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Ironies of ironies.

Virgina Ironside suffers from a chronic condition called ulcerative colitis which, in her own words, “Eventually you lose weight, you bleed copiously, you’re in a lot of pain, and feel ghastly all the time.”

She had to have her colon removed and now uses a colostomy bag.

I don’t know about you but I think a colostomy bag really degrades one’s quality of life and this chronic conditions cause inordinate suffering.

Perhaps her son might want to consider doing the loving thing and end her suffering.

panzerkardinal on October 5, 2010 at 4:56 AM

Skip over me if you don’t want to think about the greys between black and white.

I am extremely spiritual (and conservative) and have been for more than 15 odd years. There was a 20 year hollow before that that I was an avowed ‘agnostic’. Gave up my Methodist upbringing after a college course in “The Philosophy of Religion”, coupled with reading
‘Atlas Shrugged’. I’m still a self determinist…and entreat my liberal family to read it.

Ayn had it right. . except for the spiritual part.

Now then. I was raised in many states…of a family with divorced parents at age nine. Lived with grandparents and a mother who left my abusive father, who tried desperately to support 4 children in 1963, with a teaching credential she’d never used……..and who had a nervous breakdown in the process of trying to learn how to drive and support us.

So. We kids went back and forth between mom and dad, while she was in the hospital and beyond…..and while my dad remarried. Peachy. Five states and 16 schools by the time I was 16.

By then, achiever that I was, nonetheless I graduated a year early from high school. Fourth out of a class of about 500. Onward to law school.

At age 18, already out of the house and living with my boyfriend (later, husband), I became pregnant…………while faithfully on the birth control pill. Well, my ex reeaally wasn’t supporting the idea of me having our baby since he was at Berkeley and on his way to dental school. I had no money and no way to support our child on my own. Plus, I DID NOT want my child to lead an existence – as I had – of one parent,. . . and all the rest I had experienced.

So I acquiesced and had an abortion, and I also died in the process. After a short-lived marriage, I got divorced.

Fast forward 14 years or so. I lived with a man who I’d been friends with and loved for 8 years. [Whoops. Need to interject that at age 31 I had a heart attack caused by the birth control pill. It caused a clot to form in my heart. As a result, I could no longer use the pill and was relegated to the diaphragm.] (Notice no men EVER, EVER have any responsibility for birth control!)

Well, it seems the diaphragm didn’t work either and I got pregnant again. The man I was living with started staying away at night in response and promised he would ‘not’ be there for me. I had no money. I had a second unwanted abortion – died again with my child – and moved to another city.

Fast forward several more years. Met a man, fell in love, moved with him to a new state. Within two weeks I was pregnant for the third time at age 38 (again, thank you diaphragm). Unfortunately, this man was abusive. Punched me in the stomach at 5 weeks. Lost the baby at 12 weeks. When they did the ultrasound the doctor said: “I don’t know what to say. This baby was perfectly healthy until 5 weeks.” I had vowed I would have this baby no matter what.

Fast forward several years. I finally found the Divine. . . and shed more tears over ALL those years than I can ever express for my three lost children.

I love kids more than ANYONE I know. All the lost kids in stores find me so I can help them find their parents.

One day, driving, a ‘thought’ presented itself: “You know, Opinionator, your children are eternal, too.” It is the only time in my live, ever, that my name was ‘addressed to me’ in my thoughts. Well, I knew that we are eternal souls, but I had never acknowledged or known that my children were, too. What a gift from the Divine!

I have a bit of peace, now, and cannot wait to run and hug my children when I get home.

So you see it is not always an easy ‘choice’… and it is not always black and white.

I have spoken to you on behalf of my children, who I love more than I could ever express. I cannot forgive myself. I can only pray that they will.

I’m sorry for bringing this to you. I’ve never written about it before. Thank you for trying to understand.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 5:06 AM

“only time in my life, ever. .”

Sorry again.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Anyone over the age of 60 who dyes their hair purple, probably does not need to be giving advice on life and death decisions.

NoDonkey on October 5, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Why doesn’t someone put a bag over your ugly wrinkled old face you infanticidal c**t ???

Sorry folks, but she earned it!

cableguy615 on October 5, 2010 at 5:48 AM

A George Bernard Shaw and Margaret Sanger sycophant, no doubt.

sinsing on October 5, 2010 at 6:17 AM

Opinionator,

I’m glad you’re able to “open up” about your abortions. Know that the Divine can and does forgive EVERY sin and EVERY transgression. That’s His favorite pastime, I think! ;)

But it was unclear to me from your post whether you accept full responsibility for your past or whether you seek for us to understand WHY you did what you did, because of the circumstances you found yourself in. Perhaps the answer is, “both”. And that’s fine; sounds like you’re on a journey and, like the rest of us, you aren’t there yet.

Just hang on, sister, to that hope you’ve found. Hang on tight. God bless you.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM

No, cableguy615 on October 5, 2010 at 5:48 AM

No woman is a c’unt, any more than a man is a pri*k.

Bahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Grow up and get civilized.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:24 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on October 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM

What is it you suggest I do, Grace? I have already died a thousand deaths.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:27 AM

The sins were of the men that prevented me from giving birth.

I did everything possible to have my children.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:29 AM

bitsy on October 4, 2010 at 11:30 PM

“We may not like what we see when we step on the bathroom scale, but we can’t pass a law making ourselves weigh 165. Liberals and leftists think we can.” – P.J. O’Rourke

Quisp on October 5, 2010 at 6:34 AM

The only answer for this woman is to teach youngsters the proper care and handling of firearms… and then plenty of range time to drive the lesson home.

Then when someone gets all ‘compassionate’ towards them, they will have a ready answer. The pillow vs. marksmanship and snap shots at 20′.

It’s for the children, after all.

Give peace a chance.

Wear hearing protection.

ajacksonian on October 5, 2010 at 6:41 AM

Kristamatic on October 4, 2010 at 11:18 PM

You can move into my neighborhood any time you want.

Squiggy on October 5, 2010 at 6:42 AM

The real suprise from the Godless left is that a woman like this didn’t murder her child before it was born via “choice” – that it might not enter the world and suffer.

These people will never understand that most of the suffering in the world is due to their own unloving -uncaring selfisness.

It’s never really about the child with this “Abortion;it’s for the children” crowd.

Don L on October 5, 2010 at 6:45 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on October 5, 2010 at 6:21 AM

I know you mean well and I appreciate that. What I must point out to you, again, is the Divine’s words to me:

“You know, Opinionator (my name), your children are eternal, too.”

You see, Grace, the Divine acknowledged my children live on. If I was a transgressor would that be the case? Would I have even been given that message?

No. The fathers of my children – who prevented me from giving birth – are the ones who must answer.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Suffering is a part of life, but this murderous thug wouldn’t know it, simply because she has no humanity.

zoyclem on October 5, 2010 at 7:02 AM

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM

YES, if you were a transgressor, YES, your children would still live on.

That’s the heart of the Gospel message, Opinionator. We are all sinners, and God still loves us, and He forgives.

I’m bowing out now. God bless you, and I pray you’ll keep searching His Word.

Grace_is_sufficient on October 5, 2010 at 7:39 AM

What is it you suggest I do, Grace? I have already died a thousand deaths.

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:27 AM

Keep searching for God, He will find you. Reconcile yourself with God and he will forgive your sins, utterly, totally, and without judgement. Do not worry about others who were in some way responsible for things that happened in your life…they are not your responsibility. Whether they are reconciled with God or not is up to them, not you.

Trafalgar on October 5, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Actually Opinionator, God has a habit of speaking to those of us who are transgressors, those of us who are sinners and who are willing to listen to His voice. He speaks to each of us in different ways, but His message is always the same one of love and forgiveness.

God bless you.

Trafalgar on October 5, 2010 at 8:14 AM

Yes, the woman is repulsive.

But, is what she has to say really all that different from Obama’s position?

Or do you not remember his feelings on the Born Alive Infant Protection Act?

More info here.

Chris of Rights on October 5, 2010 at 8:27 AM

Sometimes they forget to just say that they favor “choice” and not speak what they really think. Those times are illuminating.

Tres Angelas on October 5, 2010 at 9:10 AM

This would be a good way to feed the poor…the liberal solution.
If it is a burden, get rid of it…no distractions from what is really important in life, yanking an unborn child out of womb and crushing their head.

right2bright on October 5, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Just one good look at her ugly mug would do it for me.

Ward Cleaver on October 5, 2010 at 9:38 AM

There are potential extreme circumstances where her point applies, but they rarely arise in modern societies. The danger with her point lies in the subjective decision that some life is unworthy based on an expansive view of “suffering”.

dedalus on October 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM

It’s sad to see what the British have become. It’s because of morons like this one who are given credence by their tabloid media. Wonder what she would do if the baby was female?

ultracon on October 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Opinionator on October 5, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Perhaps so that now, having lived through hell on earth, you can give hope to others with the same story and show what REALLY happens to moms when we encourage the culture of death.

And really, anyone to whom God speaks is a transgressor. We all are. But He does not tell us right from wrong because He doesn’t want us to have fun or because He wants to hold our sins against us. He tells us how to live because He made us and knows what we need to do to be happy.

Lily on October 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM

This does not even make sense.

yubley on October 5, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Too messy. We don’t want to further burden the mother with cleaning up blood, now do we?

/sarc

Insomniac on October 5, 2010 at 11:23 AM

Kissmygrits on October 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM

It happened. Remember the ‘prom mom’… that was a girl in my daughter’s school, a grade or 2 ahead of her.
In this Miss Ironside woman’s case I’m in favor of a pillow being used…….. cause her face and the screech coming from it is causing me great suffering./pffft

RalphyBoy on October 5, 2010 at 11:39 AM

She says:

I would be the first to want to put a pillow over its face… If it was a child I really loved, who was in agony, I think any good mother would.’

(Emphasis Added)

So, by implication, if someone does not murder her child in these circumstances, she is a bad mother?

Blaise on October 5, 2010 at 12:54 PM

I find no comfort in any of this. Quite frankly, these like minded people scare the he!! out of me. It’s like giving serial psycopathic killers an reason. Unbelievable, and extremely scary!!!

capejasmine on October 5, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Our daughter “deeply suffered” from a rare neuromuscular disease that slowly robbed her of her ability to walk, feed herself, and eventually, to breathe on her own without respiratory support. She also loved, laughed, and lived deeply. She loved to dance and was able, with great effort and work, to perform in recitals until she could no longer walk. She sang in the local children’s chorus when the act of singing was like an aerobic activity for her. She was beautiful, smart and witty. With every loss in her physical abilities, she would readjust and look for other ways to participate in life and live to the fullest. At 16 she managed her own rare breed sheep business (one of only 11 breeders in CA at the time), doing all the buying, selling, and negotiating, while we helped her with the physical tasks. She was her brother’s best friend and confidant, and his #1 fan in everyone of his activities. She was strong in faith and always stood up for what was just.

And on May 24, 2007, the Lord said “Well done, my good and faithful servant” and called her home.

Was life hard sometimes? Sure. But our family is better because she was in our lives. The lessons we learned about what really matters, the joy of seeing our children love each other so deeply, that would be the real loss. People do not realize how much they stand to lose when they only look at the potential suffering and not the potential person.

And even though we know she is well now and will be there to greet us when God calls us home, we would give just about anything for her to still be with us today. Love doesn’t fix things, but it gives you the ability to endure and see “suffering” in a different light.

KaliMom on October 5, 2010 at 7:46 PM