Video: Rand Paul’s Scott Brown moment

posted at 6:00 pm on October 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

When David Gergen referred to “Ted Kennedy’s seat” in the Massachusetts debate between Martha Coakley and Scott Brown, he had at least two extenuating circumstances. First, he wasn’t one of the candidates, and second, the seat was open because of Kennedy’s death a few months earlier. Even with those points, Gergen still allowed Brown to create a rallying cry for the entire year, proclaiming it to be “the people’s seat” and not a sinecure for Democrats or any political dynasty.

Unfortunately for Jack Conway, he doesn’t have any of those excuses, and Rand Paul makes him pay for it:

Er … Wendell Ford? He served 24 years in the US Senate, the last of which was — 1998.  There have been two full terms since the last time Senator Ford entered the chamber, both filled by Republican Jim Bunning.  While Ford at the time of his retirement held the record for the longest term for any Kentucky Senator (Mitch McConnell surpassed it last year), but otherwise is hardly a figure who merits his nameplate permanently attached to the seat.

This is an unforced error by Conway and an easy way for Rand Paul to remind Kentuckians that Democrats believe themselves entitled to these seats.

Update: More substantively, Brian Bolduc reports that Conway got skewered in the Fox News Sunday debate by flip-flopping on taxes and cap-and-trade:

Conway took a greater pounding from Wallace who mentioned Conway’s support for the cap-and-trade bill in the House, Waxman-Markey. Again, Conway objected, “I’m against cap-and-trade.” When Wallace cited an editorial in the Bowling Green Daily News which said Conway supported Waxman-Markey, Conway dismissed Wallace’s evidence and said, “I have been consistent.”

Paul saw the opening and seized it: “In June of last year, you issued a statement saying you supported the bill. . . . I met with you . . . [and you said] you could be part of fixing cap-and-trade.” Undeterred, Conway stonewalled: “I have been consistent in my position.”

Unfortunately for the Democrat, Wallace saw another flip-flop on the Bush tax cuts. He cited an article in theLouisville-Courier Journal in which Conway said “I would favor letting expire probably the majority of the Bush tax cuts,” before noting, “Now you’re for extending all of them.”

Conway insisted on his consistency and replied, “It’s no time to be raising taxes.”

Where’s Wendell Ford when you need him?

Update II: Cubachi has more, including video of the entire debate.

Comments

Heh. Conway made it too easy for Rand to dunk him.

Nice one, Mr. Paul. Nice indeed.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

You know what I like about Rand Paul? His forceful, non girly voice.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Game over. Welcome to the U.S. Senate Mr. Paul.

D0WNT0WN on October 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Let’s hope and pray that this translates into a commanding lead for Rand Paul going into the stretch. There are races that are close that shouldn’t be, and this is one of them.

IronDioPriest on October 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM

‘rat tears – gotta love ‘em…

ladyingray on October 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Time to beat Jack Conway like a rented mule.

Go Rand Go!!

JohnGalt23 on October 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Note: your comment may take a minute or two to show up on the site (longer, if it goes into moderation). Please do not resubmit.

Is this new or am I just noticing it?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Is this new or am I just noticing it?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

It’s new and it’s irritating. Like mid last week or something. I think comments are going thru a new filter.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

This is the Democrats new campaign tactic. The Republicans are “crazy.” I know what crazy looks like. It looks like yesterdays “unity?” rally. More like Lunacy rally to me.

sandee on October 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

..now we all can say we are Paulistas without fear of shame or wearing tinfoil hats.

The War Planner on October 3, 2010 at 6:14 PM

it’s new and it’s irritating. Like mid last week or something. I think comments are going thru a new filter.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Good. I’m glad it wasn’t me. It also kept making me log on over and over.

sandee on October 3, 2010 at 6:15 PM

If you want the country to go the wrong way, vote for Conway. lol What a doofus.

capejasmine on October 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Why were people even worried about Kentucky anyways?

SouthernGent on October 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Knowing the Democrats’ penchant for “transference,”
I’m expecting cries of “plagiarism!” from them,
quietly forgetting about the Obama/Patrick incident(s).

Lockstein13 on October 3, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Repeal the 17th Amendment, end the Senate fiefdoms … Give the Senate back to the States and stop the unfunded federal mandates.

It’s a hang over from the Wilson Administration.

tarpon on October 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Just watched the debate, Rand owned Conway!

lovingmyUSA on October 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM

The money quote doesn’t come till the very end, but the debate was clearly goes to Paul.

I’m glad he’s nothing like his father.

Kini on October 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Thanks, I wonder if this means Townhall thinks we are getting too rowdy? Have y’all been out of hand while I was gone this weekend?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Is this new or am I just noticing it?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Will this put a crimp in open threads for election night?

lovingmyUSA on October 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

Have y’all been out of hand while I was gone this weekend?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

We’ve been well behaved! Honest!

Will this put a crimp in open threads for election night?

lovingmyUSA on October 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

I think you’ll be getting a new ad to watch after the submit button is pressed. That’s my guess. Comment won’t be posted unless you watch it. :P

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM

<blockquoteWhy were people even worried about Kentucky anyways?

SouthernGent on October 3, 2010 at 6:16 PMlook up some of the things Ed hasn’t reported on this race.

jp on October 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

If HA wants a good filter, bring back Bryan Preston.

Kini on October 3, 2010 at 6:35 PM

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I sure hope this is the first time in your life that you are wrong.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Will this put a crimp in open threads for election night?

lovingmyUSA on October 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM

You’re assuming the servers won’t melt this time?!?! Tehehe

SouthernGent on October 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I just noticed it yesterday. I’m slow.

ladyingray on October 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Dumbos tee it up once again.

CWforFreedom on October 3, 2010 at 6:53 PM

this new slowish comment thingy is slightly cramping my hotair style…

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Speaking as a Kentucky conservative Republican who has been politically involved since 1992….and who is casting a protest vote for the first time in my life because both of these candidates are rotten……..

This story line might play well with conservatives outside Kentucky but everyone in Kentucky knows who Wendell Ford is — a conservative Democrat — and Kentucky is a conservative Democrat state. In other words, it’s still a Wendell Ford state. What happened in this part of the exchange is that Rand Paul gave the Tea Party talking point of “people’s seat” while Jack Conway aligned himself with Wendell Ford. This won’t play in Kentucky the way it does on Hot Air.

Rand Paul won more voters with this than Conway did, but only because Chris Wallace didn’t press Rand on the Medicare deductible and coal mine regulation and because Jack Conway looked like a scared rat. He looked like a scared rat because he’s a progressive on Fox News. Rand Paul will win this race if Fox News continues to prop his sorry butt up…but for no other reason.

How about next time you all let us pick our own Senator? Thanks.

gocatholic on October 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM

the Progressive Liberal Socialist Democrat meme is Rand Paul will raise the Social Security age, when Paul clearly stated for New entry, and Not for those currently in the system.

mathewsjw on October 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I actually just watched this RP looked good, other guy didn’t..

reshas1 on October 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I think raising the SS age limits for new entries is the wrong move.

They should ween the young entering the work force off of SS and into their own private accounts. That way they’ll actually have something when they retire.

Kini on October 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Can’t expect Conway to act in a way that is foreign to him. He is a typical elitist demrat.

csdeven on October 3, 2010 at 7:20 PM

They are starting to hear us now………..

RealMc on October 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Brian Bolduc’s summary of the debate highlights at “The Corner” is good. Glad you included his link, Ed.

onlineanalyst on October 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM

You know what I like about Rand Paul? His forceful, non girly voice.

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Certainly didn’t get it from his father did he?

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Is this new or am I just noticing it?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 6:11 PM

No. There is nothing wrong with your comment submit button. We are merely trying to maintain a healthy exchange of debate and ideas and some of the more controversial Hot Air regulars (you) warrant reviewing dangerous posts for content.

Now, if I were at a party with you and your hubby, I probably wouldn’t have even been able to get half of that out before I started laughing. I’m not sure I’ve ever read a single thing that you’ve ever written that needed moderating.

(Did you and James buy me a Mustang?)

hawkdriver on October 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM

This can hardly have much effect. As mentioned above, the Kentucky voters are well acquainted with Ford’s legacy and the reference will not hurt Conway among those who might consider voting for him.
`
`
Neither will being caught red-handed dancing around cap-’n’-tax hurt much. Face it: anyone who is even thinking about voting for a Democrat understands they are all lying socialist scum, or is just too stupid to care. Conway “flip-flopped”? BFD. No news here, move along, folks . . .

Adjoran on October 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM

I’m proud that Rand Paul is on our side…

… Did anyone else notice Conway sounded Mavtastic RINOesque?

MeatHeadinCA on October 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Why were people even worried about Kentucky anyways?

SouthernGent on October 3, 2010 at 6:16 PM

Because the establishment Republican candidate lost to the Sarah Palin/ Tea Party endorsed Candidate. It was all Doom and gloom when Rand Paul won. Remember?

portlandon on October 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM

portlandon on October 3, 2010 at 7:58 PM

There are still a few downers around here… They’ve changed their tune now. We MUST support the most RINOtastic nominees (and nominate them) in the purple-ish states instead of the Red States…

MeatHeadinCA on October 3, 2010 at 8:01 PM

How about next time you all let us pick our own Senator? Thanks.

gocatholic on October 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Hate to break it to you, Lisa, but you all had a primary out there, and the first guy you were convinced was going to win and who was a ‘real conservative’ was pushing poll numbers from the land of Oz and then dropped out, and the second guy you were convinced was going to win and who was a ‘real conservative’ was an establishment hack and got biffed out on his ear by – guess who? – conservative Kentucky voters. Better luck next time, though.

Inkblots on October 3, 2010 at 8:03 PM

gocatholic on October 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Why the bitterness? Isn’t choosing Rand Paul in the primary what Kentucky (R) voters did?
I far as I can recall he has been in the lead. Did an outside Tea Party convince him to run in KY?

Gracelynn on October 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Rand Paul kicked Conway’s ass. Conway had to come in to the debate and wipe the floor with Paul if he stood of chance of winning in November. He failed in that endeavor.

Jdripper on October 3, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Show them who’s seat it is, in Nov.

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2010 at 12:04 AM

hawkdriver on October 3, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I’ve had some comments disappear. Mentioning the Industrial Rev0lution can be bad. Sent you an email about the cars.

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2010 at 12:09 AM

gocatholic on October 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Was the debate actually shown on Fox News or just the Kentucky Fox affiliate?

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Good lord. Wendell Ford was a crook – as are most of the Democrats who have run Kentucky’s state government for decades. His crookedness was a big reason I decided I was a Republican in 1971. We used to call him “Swindle Fraud.” He’s dead and I still despise him. All those years in the Senate, and he did absoultely nothing but line the pockets of his friends with our money, just like he did when he was Governor.

rockmom on October 4, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I’m glad he’s nothing like his father.

Kini on October 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM

On the downside, he IS Ron Paul’s son.

How unfortunate.

Conservative Samizdat on October 4, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Was the debate actually shown on Fox News or just the Kentucky Fox affiliate?

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2010 at 12:12 AM

On Fox, the Sunday show with Chris Wallace, first half hour…

Schadenfreude on October 4, 2010 at 1:24 AM

How about next time you all let us pick our own Senator?

How about your Senators never vote on ANYTHING (including judges) that f*cks up things in my state. Deal?

SDN on October 4, 2010 at 6:45 AM

SDN on October 4, 2010 at 6:45 AM

+ One Trillion

Cindy Munford on October 4, 2010 at 8:07 AM

How about next time you all let us pick our own Senator? Thanks.

gocatholic on October 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM

With a moniker like that, I can see why you support Conway (/s). Pro-abort groups call him, “The Perfect Candidate”:

Jack Conway looked like a scared rat.

I noticed that. He clearly can’t think on his feet. He hides his positions, being a liberal in a non-liberal state. This causes his flip-flops, equivocations, and uneasiness. Dr. Paul already looked like a senator.

theCork on October 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM