Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:00 am on October 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Time to be your President’s keeper and choose the Obamateurism of the Week.  We can’t let this be a feature without end, but it has at least two more years to go, so try to keep your frowns turned upside down through it all, mm-kay?  When the time comes, we can thank all the right people for Obama’s retirement, and maybe even learn to pronounce their names first.

Previous 2010 “winners”:

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Illustrations by Chris Muir of Day by Day. Be sure to read the adventures of Sam, Zed, Damon, and Jan every day!

Comments

Yet another embarrassment of good choices. I went with the announcement of the BP capping, and would add that no mention was made of the tragic deaths either.

Drained Brain on October 3, 2010 at 9:08 AM

i agree, drained… a particularly hard week.

i went w/ flying the flag upside down… truly the sign of an amateur.

of course, the others are too…

toenail on October 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

I do tire of my duty of voting on the OOTW…and look forward to the last vote that I must cast for it. However, until that day comes, I will be my brother’s keeper and keep the amateur’s antics front and center.

I thought the “it took time to free the slaves” meme would make it to the OOTW.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

“War without end.” Of course, all wars must have a timetable, and said timetable must be scrupulously maintained no matter what say your opponent has in the matter.

unclesmrgol on October 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Flag fiasco.
You’d think these fools would have people bright enough to know stuff like that.

Lanceman on October 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Has to be number five. I’m an Atheist and even I know the correct quote about treating others as you would have them treat you.

No wonder he tries to screw everyone.

OldEnglish on October 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I had to go with the “Brother’s Keeper”. I don’t know everything Rev. Wright discussed from the pulpit, but maybe he should have covered the Book of Genesis in between exhortations about Social Justice.

trubble on October 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Social Justice.

trubble on October 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

“Whenever I hear the words ‘social justice’, I reach for my Glock.”

– Michael Savage

Lanceman on October 3, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I just can’t choose. The guy is a walking disaster. Unfortunately he weilds enormous power and is using it against anyone who dares disagree with him.

darwin on October 3, 2010 at 9:22 AM

War without end first and my brother’s keeper in second. Politics comes first before the lives of our heroes and protecting our dear nation.

Regarding the flag fiasco, I’ve had a pic of the American flag flown upside down in my office since this mallothead took office. FUBAR.

Philly on October 3, 2010 at 9:25 AM

I was torn between his questionable Christian faith and (even more shameful) putting his party ahead of our troops. Carter may be losing his “worst President ever” title, while the Democratic Party continues their meltdown.

Rovin on October 3, 2010 at 9:26 AM

1. Political animal
2. Amateur staff
3. Asshole
4. Amateur
5. Idiot

Kafir on October 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Typical that he is more concerned about politics over the lives of the soldiers in harms way and the safety of the country. It was amateurish that he actually said it out loud – to a writer.

“Whenever I hear the words ‘social justice’, I reach for my Glock.”

– Michael Savage

Lanceman on October 3, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I see a bumper sticker in that quote.

tru2tx on October 3, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Social justice has a very limited meaning for Obama and company. To them it means, we’ll do just fine and take any underhanded way to get ours, but you must sacrifice for the good of the masses. And if you won’t, by God, we’ll make you.

jeanie on October 3, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Re-post:

Watch the ObaMao meltdown:

This is what demagoguery looks like: emotional frenzy-inducing and slogans

onlineanalyst on October 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

This is just getting too hard. Almost every thing out of this guy’s mouth could be on the list. Had to go with the Philippine Flag incident because insulting our friends and allies seems to be his speciality.

Tommy_G on October 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Top of the list. Liberals, war and politics should never be mixed. But they always do.

How about this Champ? You change the ROE and we fight the war to win.

hawkdriver on October 3, 2010 at 9:40 AM

1. Political animal
2. Amateur staff
3. Azzhole
4. Amateur
5. Idiot

Kafir on October 3, 2010 at 9:42 AM

easy one…flag.

tommer74 on October 3, 2010 at 9:53 AM

I think Mr. President should bring the troops home if he has no intention of winning a war and instead worries over Losing the democratic party. Buck up, Mr. President. Buck. Up.

scalleywag on October 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Tough call this week, went with #1….worst CIC ever! All about the O

cmsinaz on October 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Re-post:

Watch the ObaMao meltdown:

This is what demagoguery looks like: emotional frenzy-inducing and slogans

onlineanalyst on October 3, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Thanks, that’s my video. I’m RobtKraft/Granny Jan. I tried to give it a film noir feel, but the real star is Obama who is becoming unhinged. Has any president ever sounded like this before?

No Niks on October 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I really like the way he professes his love for this country every day.

Reparations by other means progresses on schedule, who’s racist?

Speakup on October 3, 2010 at 9:58 AM

good job No Niks.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM

#5 reveals just how un-christian he is. Not rumor, straight from the source. “treating others as they would treat me”? I have no doubt this is what he believes. Twisted and spun into his view. The Golden rule, does not originate from Christianity, although it fits with Christian principles. Christians believe in charity, but not that we are our “bothers keeper”. These 2 lines are proof that Obama is clueless about Christianity. Black Liberian Theology is his religion, the 2 lines spoken by Obama are in complete agreement with his religion.

IowaWoman on October 3, 2010 at 10:04 AM

It’s Sunday, I had to go with the mistake offered by our resident biblical scholar in the White House. I love being lectured about Christianity by a guy who sat in Wright’s church for 20 years and never bothered to confront that POS.

OT: Did anyone else suffer through the “town hall” hosted by Christine Amanpour on This Week? Nice stacked audience.

Willful blindness.

BuckeyeSam on October 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM

We have been helping the Philippines since the Clinton Administration put an effective Counter-Terror and COIN operation down that has been highly successful if low key. Even with the help of al Qaeda to the Moro Islamic Liberation Front their entire structure has been broken and is being dissolved in some of the roughest jungle territory in the region.

That is a slap in the face of so many governments, soldiers and civilians from both the Philippine and US perspective that I don’t even know how to begin to address it. 2013 cannot come fast enough to see the tail end of this sphincter in chief.

ajacksonian on October 3, 2010 at 10:05 AM

More worried about his polls and losing political points than he is about losing to the most ruthless,genocidal enemy this country has ever faced.

Our troops and this country deserve better than this.

Baxter Greene on October 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Had to go with #1. The Philippine flag thing (which of course is horrific) is his stupid staff, not him. It does show that he chose his staff based on something other than intelligence and competency – but we knew that. You see they don’t fly the Philippine flag in Chicago so how could you expect them to know what it should look like?

katablog.com on October 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Has any president ever sounded like this before?

No Niks on October 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Not in my memory. He does look very troubled and sounds just the same. He looks like the cornered ‘Rat that he is. Deep, sunken eyes really caught my attention. Too bad he doesn’t feel bad enough to leave on his own.

BetseyRoss on October 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Scooter seems to know more about his “Muslim faith” than his Christian Faith.

kingsjester on October 3, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Flag fiasco.

Lanceman on October 3, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Actually we have entire staffs devoted to protocal. It does make you wonder.

whbates on October 3, 2010 at 10:15 AM

I went with #1 because it shows how much of an amateur hack this sorry excuse for a president is.

It amazes me that it continues to be so easy to pick half a dozen mistakes every week. Talk about a “target rich environment”. The Obama presidency is one big free-fire zone, only it isn’t free!

walkingboss on October 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM

The “war without end” and “capping BP well” are certainly worthy. But I went with “brother’s keeper”, because he butchered it so badly, you have to doubt that he’s anywhere close to the sentiment of “love your neighbor as yourself” or even the Golden rule which is pretty good in itself.

“[T]reating others as they would treat me”, good grief. That’s not the basis of any decent religion. The Golden rule is “treat others as I’d LIKE to be treated”, not AS THEY TREAT ME. And as Ed said, Jesus took it another step, basically saying to have COMPASSION for others.

How could Obama have gotten it so wrong? Was he saying what he believes? I hope not. Disturbing if so. It would explain his seeing Republicans and conservatives as the “Other” rather than his brother, and how he restricts his identification to his own group, that is Democrats and liberals.

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM

Our troops and this country deserve better than this.

Baxter Greene on October 3, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Ditto’s my friend… This man and the entire Progressive movement are monsters to those who love freedom and personal liberty.

Keemo on October 3, 2010 at 10:23 AM

BTW, compassion means loving another as yourself. It doesn’t mean doing things for them, a la the welfare state. Compassion might mean doing something for another, it might not. A govt check in the mail doesn’t necessarily seem very compassionate to me. You send someone money, where’s the love? Sounds more like a business transaction.

Paul-Cincy on October 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

“I can’t”, “I can’t”
It’s always about “I” with this one. He only talks about what is important to him and he only talks about “I”

Gwillie on October 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Jesus took it another step, basically saying to have COMPASSION for others.

You mean having weekly White House theme parties, Hollywood celebrities, Golf, Waygu beef, expensive vacations, expensive shoes, etc. isn’t the compassion of which Jesus spoke?

katablog.com on October 3, 2010 at 10:26 AM

No Niks on October 3, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I knew it was your video, and as always, it was excellent work. I had posted it late in the QOTD thread and felt that it deserved wider viewing, thus the re-post.

onlineanalyst on October 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

It has been getting harder and harder to pick a “best”, his flummoxury is so breath-taking. Plus, I’ve kind of lost track of what we are actually supposed to be voting on:

What if Bush had said it?
His ignorance?
His lies?
His incompetence?
His self-pity?
His self-promo?

So now I’ve assigned point values to each of those categories; I check all of the categories that each Obamaturism falls into, and total the score. It has made choosing so much easier!

ss396 on October 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM

#1.. Too bad the MSM, and comedians everywhere aren’t having a field day with this moron. Some are but there is comedy gold everytime he opens his pie-hole.

tbear44 on October 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM

scalleywag on October 3, 2010 at 9:54 AM

There is an election coming up, he doesn’t want the troops home, it’s easy to throw out their votes when they’re deployed overseas. Party and agenda, nothing else matters.

M-14 2go on October 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Had to go with #1 “war without end”…it reminds me that daily we are losing our WWII vets who understood that their sacrifice had repercussions for the entire world. Their war had no timetables. It was fought to win. Too bad our leader and so many in our country have forgotten that concept. This weekend there was a rally in D.C. which spit it the faces of our forefathers (and left a good amount of trash on the site of their memorial).

texabama on October 3, 2010 at 10:56 AM

I thought the “it took time to free the slaves” meme would make it to the OOTW.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Well. if these doofus is going to be the long lived Dutch uncle that Jimmah Carter has been, it will be a long hard slog.

esnap on October 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM

tbear44 on October 3, 2010 at 10:38 AM

Yes, we have a serious lack of political diversity in comedy today. I’d like to see someone have an Obama comedy competition, where you can make Bammie jokes, imitate the Bamster’s voice, or his appearance a la Steve Bridges. The only person perhaps willing to do this might be Hannity. Can anyone get to him? Get your sample videos ready…

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I personally think his Rolling Stone article isn’t all that important right now, but it will be a key issue in the 2012 election.

People aren’t going to go with a president who escalates a war that he doesn’t believe in. That is immoral.

AnninCA on October 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Had to choose his rewriting the gospel to suit his political ends. Stupid, arrogant bast*rd.

Extrafishy on October 3, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I think I’ll apologize to the Philippines by buying that Rock Island Armory 1911 that I have been looking at coveting.

Pelayo on October 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

I went with the reference to Jesus, for the sheer absurdity of his premise: that Jesus wanted to treat others as they treated him.

Uh, Mr. President, you might want to re-read the story of how people treated Jesus. It…didn’t end well.

azkag on October 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hopefully you mean “at least two years”, as in “exactly 840 Days, 02 Hours, 38 Minutes” and not “2, maybe 4 years”!

KS Rex on October 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

Pelayo on October 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Looks like that has an even lower MSRP than the Regent R100 1911A1. Has it been reviewed by any gun mags? The Regent has an investment cast frame and forged receiver. Is the RIA 1911 similar?

Extrafishy on October 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I thought the “it took time to free the slaves” meme would make it to the OOTW.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Ted, et al, there is a guy who does — tirelessly — chronicle Obama’s failures. Almost daily, he puts up regime malapropisms, missteps, and misadventures:

I recommend your visiting from time to time and leaving an “attaboy” comment for the author. Believe, me you will want to Hoover” his site up on January 21st, 2012 so that in future years you can remind yourself how truly awful these four years will have been.

The War Planner on October 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Sending young men and women to die in a war he has no intention of winning. It doesn’t get much lower than that.

Basilsbest on October 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Extrafishy, I’m still thinking about buying it. I haven’t finished checking it out. I already have a full sized GI 1911 by Springfield, the Armscor Compact 1911 Medallion is what I have been looking at.

Pelayo on October 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

his lips move , lies spew forth

ELMO Q on October 3, 2010 at 11:53 AM

<–says buy the 15 shot FN .45 with threaded barrel and slide predrilled for optics , other wise ALWAYS BUY SIG

ELMO Q on October 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

War without end.

Dear Liar is more concerned about losing the Fascist-Democrats than about the United States of America losing a war.

Not unAmerican but anti-American.

rbj on October 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM

ELMO Q on October 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I have a very nice P230SL, love it.

slickwillie2001 on October 3, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Around 1905, my grandfather, a 16 year old from the west of Ireland immigrated legally to the U.S. In order to do so, the U.S. govt. required him to join the army and go to the Phillipines for two years to fight the muslims.

To a sixteen year old from Ireland this must have been a most unexpected trip to hell. I know that when I was growing up, I never heard more than a few words from him. I think it ruined him.

So everytime I hear about illegals demanding their rights, not to mention the drug and murder activities that they have brought with them, I think about what my grandfather did to come to this country. He didn’t take, he sacrificed, as did millions of others.

He went to fight the muslims, and now we have a “president” who is fighting us on behalf of the muslims.

Remember in November.

tigerlily on October 3, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Obama a Christian because Jesus talked about “being my brothers’ and sisters’ keeper, treating others as they would treat me.”

This shows what a complete and total fraud O-Bambi truly is. What is in his heart comes out of his mouth. He is a dangerous, evil man-child.

GrannyDee on October 3, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I was torn between the war without end, and the Jesus saying my brothers keeper. ROFL!!!

In the first, which in my opinion is not only a very serious, dangerous, and telling statement…it’s incredibly galling. He has a lot of men and womens lives in his hands, and the fact that he takes that so lightly, is appalling, and disgusting. He doesn’t give a flying fig about any of them. It’s ALL political for him.

As for the latter…it just shows, that Obama’s faith, is nothing more than a show as well. When entering, even in later life, the Christian faith, one is taught these things. My fater was raised without religion, and later came to Catholocism, when he met my mom. Even he knew which went where and who said it. The fact that Obama publicly uses parables, phrases, quotes or whatever, and has no clue where they came from, or who said them…proves…he’s only a Christian in name, and when it’s convenient. No true Christian would ever cover a crucifix, for politically correct reasons.

capejasmine on October 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM

The War Planner on October 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

TWP; thanks, will do.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM

All good OOTDs,but I was torn between “war without end” and “brother’s keeper”.
Being an atheist who has studied the Bible,I had to go with “brother’s keeper.”

DDT on October 3, 2010 at 1:11 PM

HillBuzz had a must-read piece about Obama today:

Did Barack Obama kill Las Vegas…on purpose?

Mutnodjmet on October 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

I went with his bogus, “Here’s why I’m a Christian” malarky.

And now, having exhausted myself slaving away, week after week, making these tough decisions, I’m awaiting an offer from one or more of you to host me at your Italian villa and ply me with pasta. Who’s feelin’ lucky?

ya2daup on October 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM

I’d like to hear Oliar define “my Brothers’” and “others”.

ontherocks on October 3, 2010 at 1:53 PM

“I can’t let this be a war without end, and I can’t lose the whole Democratic Party.” 35.06%

If he applies himself, I bet he can lose the whole Democratic Party.

percysunshine on October 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM

If he is “his brothers and sisters’ keeper” how come his brother lives in a cardboard neighborhood and his aunt Zetuni doesn’t live with him, instead on the taxpayers’ dole?

Schadenfreude on October 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Obama thanks Cabinet officials for capping BP well but not the workers who actually capped it

Because it shows how disengaged he was with the whole calamity.

Dr Evil on October 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Obama: placing Party over Country, and losing a war to win crooked power.

profitsbeard on October 3, 2010 at 3:04 PM

HillBuzz had a must-read piece about Obama today:

Did Barack Obama kill Las Vegas…on purpose?

Mutnodjmet on October 3, 2010 at 1:31 PM

obama abused the power of the Office of the President early and often. His words, when tied to the most powerful office in the world, carried heavy weight.

Now that we know (most of us knew long before November ’08) what this marxist goon is all about, we should decouple his words from the Office and give the lying stalinist NO CREDIBILITY WHATSOEVER.

We The People are who he derives his power from. We The People need to literally and figuratively turn our backs on obama and every word he utters should be summarily dismissed as we endeavor with all our might to save our Republic. This doesn’t mean we don’t continue to be keenly aware of every move obama and his politburo are making and are ready to defend, offend and counter. It’s just that his person should be Marginalized, Ridiculed, and IMPEACHED.

And every individual, group and corporation that can possibly do so should book their vacation/event/convention into Vegas asap. That would show obapolpot how little he counts in our eyes. One man can’t ruin the hopes and dreams of hundreds of millions without our consent. Time for us to move on. obama is so over – let’s make that sentiment a hard reality in the world of business and the economy.

The fact that obama could “kill Vegas” says much more about us, that we have given over WAY too much power to the executive branch, than it does about obama, who like a dog, will pee on whatever he fancies at the moment. He’s been peeing on America for the past 20 months. Time to put the dog outside.

tigerlily on October 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM

p.s. my apologies to dogs everywhere.

tigerlily on October 3, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Because it shows how disengaged he was with the whole calamity.

Dr Evil on October 3, 2010 at 2:59 PM

I think it shows his complete contempt, for people who actually get their hands dirty while working.

Slowburn on October 3, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Things to not do:

1) Let this be a war without end
2) Lose the whole Democratic Party

Suppositions:
1) If the war is the War Against Terrorism as Reagan described in 1994, then you might skip that one…
2) The Democratic Party is like a Dune Buggy on a VW chassis, but the chassis is Progressivism while the Democratic Party is every bit the same flimsy fiberglass as the Dune Buggy is. Nothing to lose there.

We need a George Costanza moment with this Administration.

ericdijon on October 3, 2010 at 7:32 PM

The war and keeping democrats happy.

Our men and women in our armed services are bearing the brunt of this idiot’s cowardice.

Mommynator on October 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM

He’s thrown all his brothers (and grandmother) under the bus. Some example he’s set for everyone.

Philly on October 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM

I thought the “it took time to free the slaves” meme would make it to the OOTW.

ted c on October 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM