Marriage Encounter and the Refresh Challenge

posted at 7:30 pm on October 3, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

As many Hot Air readers know, the First Mate and I volunteer our time at Twin Cities Marriage Encounter, serving as weekend leaders as well as the president couple of the board.  We have to rely on contributions to keep this charitable organization in operation, and over the last couple of years, fundraising has been very, very difficult. We would like to be able to retire our debt and boost our scholarship fund so that couples struggling financially can still help improve communication and commitment. After all, tough financial times make communication and commitment all the more difficult.

We spend a lot of time looking for grants, and this year we qualified for one that depends on you. Pepsi has its Refresh Everything “Good Idea” contest, in which people vote for the best ideas to see which get funding at the end of October. Winning one of the $50,000 grants would put us in excellent shape to continue our ministry to marriages. People can vote for TCME at the Refresh Everything page or right here in this widget, and can cast one vote each day from each computer to which voters have access:

We joke a lot about politics and voting, but in this case, the Chicago Way applies — vote early, vote often, and vote every day!

Comments

Ed, I hate to be a pain but is this requiring me to join Facebook?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM

I voted! :D

capejasmine on October 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Voted!

Sekhmet on October 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM

No, but if you don’t have a Facebook account, you will have to register with Pepsi.

Ed Morrissey on October 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Sorry, Ed, when I try to log in with Facebook, it notifies me wants full access to my account, including friends, etc., and when I clicked “Don’t allow” it cut me off.
`
`
I’d like to help out, but not at the cost of surrendering my privacy to Big Soda.

Adjoran on October 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM

`
`

Adjoran on October 3, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I think this is where you create a page for your dog and vote by proxy.

Bigbullets on October 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM

The whole marriage encounter thing leaves me…….. Too warm and fuzzy. I don’t see how these things help.

scharlesc on October 3, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Ok Mr. Morrissey, registered with Pepsi and voted.

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Ed, I hate to be a pain but is this requiring me to join Facebook?

Cindy Munford on October 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Go on FB and be my friend

blatantblue on October 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM

I don’t like Pepsi, but I’ll vote for your worthy cause, Ed. Keep up the good work!

itsnotaboutme on October 3, 2010 at 7:53 PM

Just to clarify – no need to sign in with FB (I didn’t, and nevr do when that option is presented). Just use the alternate registration process.

And Cindy – you should FB! It’s fun and totally not addictive! I swear!

Scharles – strong marriages = strong families = strong america. That’s how it helps. : )

WaltzingMtilda on October 3, 2010 at 7:56 PM

Me either and me too!

On Facebook, naturally. :)

Bob's Kid on October 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM

Have, and will continue to vote ‘the Chicago way’, Ed !
Glad you’ve shared it with us !
ONWARD !!

pambi on October 3, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Registered and voted. It’s for a good cause. I have a special email account for things like this. Make one a gmail and vote.

milwife88 on October 3, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Voted!

HOPE you win some CHANGE!

dhunter on October 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Go on FB and be my friend

blatantblue on October 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Nominated for the saddest comment of the day :(

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Nominated for the saddest comment of the day :(

lorien1973 on October 3, 2010 at 8:15 PM

I have been OWNED.

blatantblue on October 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM

voted

Rode Werk on October 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM

I’m a Coke girl but I registered with my “send me spam” email address and voted just for Ed.

txag92 on October 3, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Ahoy Cap, Been to ME with both ex-wives (consecutive, not concurrent), still have my diaries somewhere. I still believe in the idea and ideals. I would vote, but cannot bring myself to have anything to do with Pepsico.

gbear on October 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM

I’m a former Pepsi employee and I used my spamcatcher email address to register and vote. You don’t want to know my password.

RobBert on October 3, 2010 at 8:39 PM

Voted and installed the app on my wall. I am fearless that way.

kahall on October 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM

OT– I hate it when you link to articles we cannot commit on,,, mostly NYT.

tinkerthinker on October 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Aww, blatantblue, I’ll be your friend!! I love your comments.

Rosmerta on October 3, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Hey Ed have you thought about starting a TIGER WOODS “marriage” ENCOUNTER?

just don’t tell your wife about!!!

at least you don’t have to worry about the tabloids chasing you down!!

right4life on October 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Ed Morrissey: I’m promoting tbis cause, as requested. However, I have a question… if a couple are doing fine after a dozen or more years, do you still recommend Marriage Encounter?

theCork on October 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM

Love one another. The Democrat way.

Early and often.

MSimon on October 4, 2010 at 12:01 AM

I voted by SMS message on my phone — no registration required. The website has the instructions, but here’s what to do, in case you’re too lazy to look it up: :-)

If you can send text messages on your phone, just text the message “103165″ (without the quotation marks) to 73774 (which spells PEPSI). Another avenue to “vote early and often!”

Mary in LA on October 4, 2010 at 1:30 AM

blatantblue on October 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Everyone! Friend BB so he can upgrade to alpha male status!

Rightwingguy on October 4, 2010 at 3:37 AM

I voted! ME is a worthy program and families are under pressure these days with the liberals wanting to destroy them in every way they can. God Bless you for volunteering to help other couples.

Beaglemom on October 4, 2010 at 6:49 AM

Voted by text, & shared the message.

Good luck to Ed, the First Mate, and all those this ministry assists. Strong families = Strong communities = Strong nation, IMHO.

cs89 on October 4, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Good thing it wasn’t last month. I was rooting, and voting for the Vintage Flying Museum then.

Sadly, they lost, hope y’all do better.

cozmo on October 4, 2010 at 10:52 AM