Desperate Dem buddies up with the boogeyman

posted at 11:05 am on October 2, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Democrats in Congress have looked around for Republican boogeymen to scare voters out of making the midterms into a referendum on their failed economic policies and massively irresponsible spending.  They have tried using George Bush, Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, and perhaps especially John Boehner, the House Minority Leader who will likely replace Nancy Pelosi as Speaker.  Barack Obama himself has repeatedly mentioned Boehner by name, making him both the Democratic bête noir and a celebrity in his own right — which, of course, provided a lot more national attention for Boehner when he rolled out the GOP pledge and demonstrated that Republicans have their own ideas and proposals for governance, contra Democratic Party spin.

Of course, in order to actually sell someone as a boogeyman, Democrats have to make sure that people are universally frightened of him.  Bobby Bright’s new ad campaign in Alabama makes that just a tad difficult (via JWF):

In perhaps the most striking example of a vulnerable Democrat racing away from the national party as the midterm elections near, Rep. Bobby Bright (D-Ala.) is running a TV ad that features side-by-side photos of him and Minority Leader John Boehner (Ohio). The spot touts that he “votes 80 percent with the Republican leader.”

Several House Democrats have run ads that speak out against Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) by name, but Bright appears to be the first incumbent to feature Boehner, her chief rival in Congress and the man who would be speaker if Republicans win control of the House.

Bright, a freshman in a tight reelection race, has broken with Pelosi on major legislation more than any other Democrat. He voted against the stimulus bill, healthcare reform, cap-and-trade climate legislation and the financial regulatory overhaul. He has refused to endorse Pelosi for another term as speaker, and in August he made national headlines by joking that she “might get sick and die” after he was asked whether he would support her again in January.

But it gets better.  Why is Bright suddenly getting so cozy with Boehner?  It turns out that there’s a bigger boogeyman that frightens Bright and his constituents … or to be more precise, boogeywoman:

The latest Bright ad is a response to one by the National Republican Congressional Campaign that says he voted “with Nancy Pelosi over 70 percent of the time.”

Bright is at least ahead of the curve in his caucus.  While only one Democrat is running on the I Love Nancy platform (Betty McCollum in MN-04), Bright may be the only one to realize who the actual nightmare for voters is in this election.

Comments

‘The Boehner Who Stole Christmas!’

Hmmmm … just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Tony737 on October 2, 2010 at 11:12 AM

You know Democrats are scared and desperate when they have their Union foot soldiers ringing doorbells in pairs and in uniform in my neighborhood and the propaganda they hand you claims in big, bold letters that the Dem running for Congress is for “The Neglected Taxpayers.”

I smell something potentially historic in the air.

TheBigOldDog on October 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM

..on a Saturday morning. Unprecedented.

TheBigOldDog on October 2, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Those good ol’ boys like to be everyone’s friend.

anniekc on October 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM

TheBigOldDog on October 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM

It’s in the air here in Montana also BOD… We’re trying to figure out what the Dems strategy here is, as they have little or no signs up and have spent little or no money on radio ads as of yet. The Dems are polling horribly here and their base has gone into hiding our of raw fear of being outed to the community for having supported Obama-Pelosi-Reid. Usually by now, the Dems have canvased the area; signs, door to door, phones, radio and television… Little to nothing so far, while the Republicans are out in front of the people every weekend holding townhalls and meet and greets. Tea Party is huge here in my area.

Keemo on October 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM

full circle.

ted c on October 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM

How about a conservative Republican majority, with the remaing Dem’s fighting to show off there DINO street cred? Yes, please.

bitsy on October 2, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Best campaign ad EVAH!!!

ladyingray on October 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Maybe the dems are foregoing advertising and putting their money where it will do the most good: CHEATING!

toongoon on October 2, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Aren’t these * voted with * over * percent of the time ads usually misleading? There’s a crap load of votes that aren’t even close…

ninjapirate on October 2, 2010 at 11:37 AM

So he puts out an ad that basically says that you would be better off voting for a Republican because of my voting patterns?

Silly season is over.

Gonzo season has begun.

ajacksonian on October 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM

His speaker position in the House is all but guaranteed. Just a waiting game. But I’d still like to see Boehner make a run for POTUS. Now that would be epic…and the liberals’ heads would explode nicely.

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, but will Bright pass muster with Dale Peterson?

Christien on October 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Aren’t you getting tired of being burned by orange guys? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice…

Kafir on October 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Kafir on October 2, 2010 at 11:50 AM

What are the chances that two “tannish” dudes would burn? :D

Anyhoo, Boehner is absolutely no “Charlie Crist”. I still admit I was a total moron for thinking Crist had even a single scruple…but again, Boehner is no fool. Me, maybe…but not Boehner.

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

boogeyWOman!!!

abobo on October 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Hello, I’m Congressman Bobby Bright and I just want you all to know that I voted 80% of the time with the Republican leader Boehner! I have no clue how I became a Democrat, but who cares, right? Pleeeeeze send me back to Washington to kick my leader, Nancy Pelosi, in the knees!

cartooner on October 2, 2010 at 12:03 PM

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

JetBoy, you get a tip of the hat from me for your admission.☺

NaCly dog on October 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Don’t feel bad, Jetboy. I voted for Charlie three times.

Lanceman on October 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Keemo on October 2, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Aren’t you in the Missoula area? I thought that had really started to become a heavily Dem enclave. I lived in Hamilton for 5 years and steadily with all of the CA people moving in things really seemed to be moving left in Ravalli County. (The whole state really.)

mauioriginal on October 2, 2010 at 12:18 PM

If Boehner wants to join the primary slate, good for him. Let’s have a rousing primary with lots of great candidates to choose from, unlike the last one. I can’t see him winning it, but any candidate can change the outcome through his effect on others, -look at how Giuliani eviscerated Ron Paul last time.

slickwillie2001 on October 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM

JetBoy, you get a tip of the hat from me for your admission.☺

NaCly dog on October 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Please…no more hats…

Don’t feel bad, Jetboy. I voted for Charlie three times.

Lanceman on October 2, 2010 at 12:17 PM

If I lived in Fla., I’m sure I would have voted for him too. I think there’s more to this than we know…like perhaps Crist is actually losing his mind or something.

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM

perhaps Crist is actually losing his mind or something.

JetBoy on October 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Oh, I think that is a given! That is apparently what happens when self aggrandizing narcissists finally get rejected, Obambi is next!

bluemarlin on October 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Hypocrites unite!

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2010 at 1:13 PM

I smell something potentially historic in the air.

TheBigOldDog on October 2, 2010 at 11:14 AM

May the deceiving pigs be slaughtered!

Schadenfreude on October 2, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Bobby Bright will switch parties if he wins re-election. There were many who thought he would do it months ago back when Parker Griffith did it.

dczombie on October 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I’m seeing an ad on the right for a local issue. It reads, and I quote,

Save Jobs
Volunteer

(phone number)

So I clinked the revenue enhancer and it’s to oppose a workers comp tax. Not too bright.

pedestrian on October 2, 2010 at 1:34 PM

How about The B(Peolsi)ch Stole Christmas — just sayin

wheels on October 2, 2010 at 2:17 PM

The spot touts that he “votes 80 percent with the Republican leader.”

Wow, I really hate the profound dishonesty of “Blue Dog” Democrats. There are exactly two House votes that matters: the vote for Speaker, and the vote on the term’s rules. After that, the only votes that happen are ones the ruling party wants to have happen, and any “defections” from those votes are ones the ruling party has permitted to preserve the veneer of independence.

Without exception, every single Blue Dog Democrat, every single term, votes for a hard-left Speaker, and without exception, every single Blue Dog Democrat, every single term, votes for a set of House rules that vest that extreme leftist with near-absolute power. Everything after that is smoke and mirrors.

Fabozz on October 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Everybody: Check their voting records, if you can. Assume all campaign ads are lies. (gee…I sound so cynical…)

Driefromseattle on October 2, 2010 at 2:33 PM

dczombie on October 2, 2010 at 1:18 PM

I think so too.

ButterflyDragon on October 2, 2010 at 4:36 PM

OH it gets better ,BOBBY BRIGHT actually lives in the 3RD congressional district BUT uses a ” family members” address to qualify to seek election in the 2ND district .
Perhaps we should ask why he will not run head to head with MIKE ROGERS ( R ) who has held the seat in the 3 district since 2003 .
INSTEAD Bobby panders to the larger black % in the 2nd District just as he did as MAYOR ( Bobby rented an apartment then to get around the silly residence rules).
Sounds AMERICAN huh ? Decide to rule a people in a district in which you do not live and can’t get elected in teh district in which you reside .
Good news for BOOBY is that if he loses RAHM will give him a job in Chicago on how to get around silly rules about where one actually lays one head on the pillow at night

ELMO Q on October 2, 2010 at 9:24 PM

… John Boehner, the House Minority Leader who will likely replace Nancy Pelosi as Speaker …

IMHO:

IF the Republicans get 40-60 seats it will probably be Boehner.

BUT, IF the Republicans get 60-80 seats then one of the other current Republicna leaders may come to the front.

HOWEVER, IF the Republicans gain 80-100 seats I do not think anyone has a clue who the next speaker may be!

Freddy on October 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I wonder if Bobby will jump parties if he wins and the Repubs take the House? Why is he a Democrat anyway?

johnboy on October 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM

bluemarlin on October 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM

It’s a political form of “beer goggles” that most of us are subject to. When you believe a pol is in your corner you don’t tend to see the things that might otherwise raise red flags. You just overlook some warning signs. The lesson is to keep your eyes wide open and “question with boldness” to find the truth.

Extrafishy on October 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM

And what assurances would we have, that if Mr.Bright fails in his re-election bid, he won’t come back as a lame duck, and vote one after the other, to spite his failed bid to keep his seat?

I don’t trust him, or any other dem. They will vote in the lame duck session, and suddenly, I’m betting…Nancy and he will be holding hands while they do it! We must be punished. *sigh*

capejasmine on October 3, 2010 at 12:10 PM