Rahm to Obama: You’ve faced the toughest times of any president, like, ever

posted at 4:12 pm on October 1, 2010 by Allahpundit

Not only that, we’re told, but The One has been “the toughest leader any country could ask for” in such a challenging age. I won’t bother running through the conservative answer to that, which you’re all equally capable of; just imagine how liberals, who’ve been squealing for months about Obama’s refusal to fight for a public option during the ObamaCare battle, must have received that line.

The Daily Caller notes that even Rahm-hating lefties are wondering why the chief of staff’s departure would warrant a full bells-and-whistles press conference. Two reasons, I assume: (1) It’s free TV time ahead of the midterms for Democrats to remind voters that they should be graded on a curve because, after all, these are the toughest times evah; and (2) it’s a mayoral campaign commercial for Rahm. The staff might have given him a dead fish as a farewell gift but Obama gave him a de facto endorsement carried live on national cable news networks. Better than a gold watch, no?

His replacement, Pete Rouse, is also introduced here. Politics Daily describes him as an “unmarried cat lover”; as an unmarried cat lover myself, I hereby proclaim Pete Rouse presumptively awesome. Exit question: Scale of one to 10, how funny will it be if Rahm loses the mayoral primary? Exit answer: Fifteen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Abraham Lincoln had no problems at all, by comparison!

Realist on October 1, 2010 at 4:13 PM

Olympics redux:

Rahm has lost??? Rahm has lost??? Rahm has lost???

Realist on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

AllahP, I’m reading this AT WORK and had to stifle the giggles at the picture and your caption.
you’re a terrible person.

mjk on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Yeah, those towers falling on 9/11 were just a domestic issue… Pearl Harbor… a squabble over oil…

I’m really beginning to loathe these people.

Skywise on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

oohhh! snap! Hold me close tiny dancer!!!! LOLz dude!

ted c on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Obama’s presidency isn’t even the toughest of the past 10 years…much less evah!

terryannonline on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

The Chicago machine is all rigged and ready for you, Rahm.

John the Libertarian on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

AP has been planning that one for a while —admit it…dats some good shizzat

ted c on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

boo hoo hoo

maverick muse on October 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Hold me closer tiny dancer!!!! ROFLMAO!!! I think that’s the funniest thing I’ve read from you, Allah. Thanks for the laugh!

Rahm you magnificent b@st@ard. You sure can lie, can’t ya? You’ll fit right in as mayor. I pray you lose that election! ;)

capejasmine on October 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

No tongue guys, this is a family publication.

NoDonkey on October 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

AP, you sir are a national treasure!

ThePrez on October 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Tough times indeed.

Caused by an incompetent, unprepared, unaccomplished president who had no business being elected.

It’s sad Barack Obama has had to suffer through his own crappy presidency.

NoDonkey on October 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Absolutely hilarious!

aquaviva on October 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

ROFLMAO

VibrioCocci on October 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Has any polling been done on the Mayoral race in Chicago? Any chance they will do the right thing, and elect anyone but Rahm?

ornery_independent on October 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Rahm is out??!! Rahm is out??!! Rahm is out??!!

ThePrez on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hold me closer tiny dancer! LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!

Oink on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Lyrics to Tiny Gangster.

Dan Collins on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

The staff might have given him a dead fish as a farewell gift…

I must be particularly thick today–even after reading the link, I don’t get it.

DrMagnolias on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Yeah, no President in recent memory has faced any challenges like Obama. It’s not like his predecessor had to deal with a recession, the dot-com bubble bursting, 9/11, and the Enron and WorldCom accounting scandals all in his first 20 months. Can you imagine if Obama was dealt the hand Dubya received back in 2001-02(with a hateful media on his case 24/7 to boot)? Dude would be looking for the nearest razor blade right about now.

Doughboy on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Realist on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

S**T! lol I really need to browse the comments more closely

ThePrez on October 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

‘I’m Al Gore… and I approved this message.’

RalphyBoy on October 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Chicago is my home town. All my family is there, as is my girlfriend. None of them are conservatives.

When I asked about Rahm-mayor, the reply, almost identical from each was, “no-one likes him here.”

aquaviva on October 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM

‘I’m Al Gore… and I approved this message.’

RalphyBoy on October 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Wow… I swear I posted this on the GW thread… I’ll try again.

RalphyBoy on October 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM

The only crisis Obama has faced is that the nation’s credit card is maxed out. Everything else is his own doing.

pedestrian on October 1, 2010 at 4:22 PM

I threw up like a whole lot in my mouth.

docflash on October 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Umm Allah…. what is Pete is worse than a douche? Do you want to be in the same category?

upinak on October 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

AP, you sir are a national treasure!

ThePrez on October 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

If that was the only thing AP had posted this week, it would have been worth the wait.

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

AP, you owe me some Windex. Criminently.

kingsjester on October 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Can I offer a dissenting opinion that BarryO is President Pusssy and the tough times were all created by HIM and his trusty cohorts in stupidity: Barney, Harry and Nancy!

SDarchitect on October 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

ornery_independent on October 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Believe me, polls doesn’t matter in Chicago. The result will be whatever the Machine decides it should be.

Norwegian on October 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Exit question +100

cmsinaz on October 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

The staff might have given him a dead fish as a farewell gift…

I must be particularly thick today–even after reading the link, I don’t get it.

DrMagnolias on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Neither does anyone else. But they did.

pedestrian on October 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Nam was a cake walk and WWII was for pu$$ies!!!

-Rahm

Ampersand on October 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Like ever. Yes. President Lincoln’s Presidency was a cake walk.

Wade on October 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

This is as sickening as the exploding kids.

NOvember.

davidk on October 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

As maybe the only foul mouthed realist in the white house the loony leftists are thrilled to be shed of ram. The last thing the loonies wanted was a pragmatists let alone a joooo. The fish is maybe their hope that ram will end up like Luca, gibsey must of nearly wet himself over this tacky send off. Most classy admin ever especially the rap song from Thursday night DNC thing,real trash this bunch.

Col.John Wm. Reed on October 1, 2010 at 4:25 PM

ornery_independent on October 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

2,851,268 people in Chicago, at last count… (I think that’s only the live ones, but with Chicago, one can never be sure.) At 1 dead fish per mailbox, that’s… a lot of dead fish.

Mary in LA on October 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

President Bush had more on his plate than this do everything wrong president.

Wade on October 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Doughboy on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Yeah, Obama’s tough times make the Cuba thing with Kennedy look like a tea party..no pun intended.

Lets see..whats tougher…finding ways to spend a trillion or dollars you don’t have….or making decisions that could a start a nuclear war within a few minutes…..

Man…that’s a toughy.

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

$10 says Rahm doesn’t even make it to the primary.

A bunch of his opponents will find a judge that declares him ineligible to run because he’s lived outside the city for too long.

teke184 on October 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Thanks Allah, I needed a Friday pm chuckle

cmsinaz on October 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Mom jean Barray

Christien on October 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM

I threw up like a whole lot in my mouth.

docflash on October 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

breathmints, for all who vlurped!

upinak on October 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Don’t be silly. He’s got the deceased voters in his pocket.

shick on October 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Biography • Born April 15, 1946, in New Haven, Conn. Graduated from Colby College in 1968 and received a master’s degree from the London School of Economics in 1970.

Link to President Barack Obama • He was Obama’s chief of staff in the Senate, guiding him through his first years in Washington. He also was an important adviser to Obama’s presidential campaign. He has served as a presidential special adviser since Obama took office.

Washington veteran • Was chief of staff to former Sen. Tom Daschle, D-S.D., when Daschle was majority and minority leader of the Senate. Rouse helped negotiate the terms of the Clinton impeachment. He has known Daschle since 1973, when both men worked as young legislative aides to former Sen. James Abourezk of South Dakota.

davidk on October 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I guess George Washington was a wus…

PatriotRider on October 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

Elton would be jeoulous,but i think he has eye’s for Rush only.

heshtesh on October 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Wait wait wait….

From the liberal perspective….he did have to campaign against the Cuda….eeewwwwwww! We’re talking Medal of Honor territory there.

Ever give any thought about how tough it is to win a Nobel prize for winning an election? Others have won it for trifle things like, oh, discovering a vaccine for polio. But US presidential election? Wow.

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Obama sure has got it rough. Tougher than surviving Valley Forge, near bankruptcy and political infighting.

Tougher than ANOTHER war with the British and enourmous mounting debts.

Tougher than Congressmen getting in fist fights over the Missouri Compromise.

Tougher than states ceceding from the union and fighting a war to bring them back in.

Tougher than union riots or gangsters smuggling in poisonous alcohol.

Tougher than fighting a world war.

Tougher than the Great Depression, or the depression BEFORE the Great Depression.

Tougher than ANOTHER, bigger world war.

Tougher than defusing the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Tougher than the Civil Rights movement and a Presidential
assassination.

Tougher than the public dissension over Vietnam.

Tougher than gas lines and the Hostage crisis.

Tougher than defeating the Soviet Union.

hawksruleva on October 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Rule #45 of Chicago politics: Don’t run for Mayor unless you’ve already won the election.

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Crikey. This is defo the DODT administration.

Cody1991 on October 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Rahm claims this is the worst time in any country EVER. I guess the 100,000 dead in Hati, the fall of the USSR, the US Civil War and the War of 1812 during which the White House was BURNED were simply footnotes.

This is precisely why many feel Democrats are historically illiterate. Democrats tend to believe that this era is the worst anyone has ever seen in history. It is simply arrogance that allows them to feel like the center of the universe. Today’s Democrats have placed themselves above history and all humanity.

(Paraphrased from WTH)

Troika37 on October 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

I must be particularly thick today–even after reading the link, I don’t get it.
DrMagnolias on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Emanuel is said to have sent a dead fish in a box to a pollster who was late delivering polling results.[17]

rukiddingme on October 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

you’re a terrible person.

mjk on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Came in to say the same thing. Hahahaha.

It might just be the best caption ever.

Well done, old chap, well done.

Abby Adams on October 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

$10 says Rahm doesn’t even make it to the primary.

teke184 on October 1, 2010 at 4:27 PM

That’s why he had to leave the White House now. Palm-greasing starts early in Chicago.

hawksruleva on October 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Kissinger, Arafat, and Al Gore have won Peace Prizes as well. Obama’s was a joke, but the NPP was a joke long before Obama won it.

Proud Rino on October 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Politics Daily describes him as an “unmarried cat lover”

Just last week the NYTs insinuated that the single CoS to Boehner is…er…whatever…just looking for similar or equal standards.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM

He is the only President who is married to the lovely, ebullient Michelle Obama.

I think that at least gets him on the ballot for toughest time as president.

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Proud Rino on October 1, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Indeed. This just affirmed, irrevocably, that you are right.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Politics Daily describes him as an “unmarried cat lover”;

Code words. You know what that means.

KingGold on October 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

You’ve WE’VE faced the toughest times of any president ELECTORATE, like, ever.

portlandon on October 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Rumor has it that Rahm has residency issues that could trip him up. This might dampen the hilarity meter before he even gets started.

midlander on October 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I think that at least gets him on the ballot for toughest time as president.

BobMbx on October 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Thanks for the smiles.

Also, horses and jackals are indignant.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Allah’s Found a Friend.

portlandon on October 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

hawksruleva on October 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Threats have already started from some of the entrenched members of the machine.

Word came out the other day that the machine will sabotage Obama’s campaign in 2012 if he endorses Rahm or one other particular candidate in the mayoral election. Granted, at this rate, he was unlikely to get re-elected anway.

teke184 on October 1, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Jimmah had it tougher….just ask the wabbit.

Limerick on October 1, 2010 at 4:42 PM

Any chance they will do the right thing, and elect anyone but Rahm?

ornery_independent on October 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

I think we should set up a betting blog, get other involved like Amazon and such… when someone wins they get a amazon buck or something. It could be interesting!

upinak on October 1, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Rouse may be just keeping the seat warm for Valerie Jarrett until after the Midterms. Then he and Axlerod could shift to re-election mode.

kingsjester on October 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

AP, as a lover of unmarried cats, you’re awsome. However, if you are unmarried also, your best match would be a girl who also loves unmarried cats.

Old Country Boy on October 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

[...]toughest times any President has ever faced

What a shameless cheap whore, Rahm is. As a Cook County resident, I sure hope the windy city tells him where he can stick it.

ElectricPhase on October 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I’m a cat lover as well.
They are particularly good with Louisiana hot sauce.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on October 1, 2010 at 4:44 PM

tiny dancer. Bahahahahaha!

TN Mom on October 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I pity Chicago.

Maybe they’ll be smart enough not to elect this chump.

hepcat on October 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

The Lone Platypus on October 1, 2010 at 4:45 PM

The generic cutlines you two use here at HA usually drive me nuts; I’d pay you hard cash to never have to see “Nuance.” again.

But this one makes up for all of the others combined. Awesome sauce.

(Did I post an abbreviated version of this a moment ago? Sorry, iPhone beta went blooey on me.)

The Lone Platypus on October 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Daly, in ten years of Chicago ‘reform’, raised the HS grad rate 2%. Rahm should be able to bring it up another point. Hell, they might even hit 38% by 2012.

Limerick on October 1, 2010 at 4:48 PM

How funny would it be if he loses out on his next job offer to Joe Sestak???/

eleventy

ted c on October 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Could someone send Michelle a hundred or two for some new drapes?
Those gold things look like they came out of “Cousin Eddie #1′s” house trailer.

Course “Cousin Eddie #2″ prolly thinks it makes him look Kingly somehow or maybe like an Imommy or somethin!

dhunter on October 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM

This was like a mini academy award — one group of lefties giving another group a prize…yuck!

tinkerthinker on October 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Too bad they didn’t give Barry a dead donkey.

GarandFan on October 1, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Any chance they will do the right thing, and elect anyone but Rahm?

ornery_independent on October 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Chances are that someone other than Rahm or Jesse Jr. will become Mayor once the machine bosses get together behind closed doors and the white smoke is produced by burning ballots.

teke184 on October 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Rahm: I have to go home.

Obama: [Makes "whoosh" gesture] You are home.

Karl on October 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM

oh my Allah, you win the caption contest of the year!!!

Willie on October 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Ohhhhh…that subhead. Brilliant, Allah.

S. Weasel on October 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM

As amusing as it would be to see, I don’t think Rahm would be leaving to run for mayor if he hadn’t already won.

What do you mean they haven’t had the election yet? Sure they have. You don’t think the little people going into those booth thingies is the election, do you? Silly rabbit.

Pablo Snooze on October 1, 2010 at 4:57 PM

You think Rahm picked up that crying thing from Beck?

d1carter on October 1, 2010 at 4:58 PM

A recession that ended 5 months into his administration > Presiding over World War II, World War I, the Civil War, or 9/11?

Hmmmm.

LASue on October 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

Top that, Ace.

Allahpundit Akbar!

Emperor Norton on October 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I must be particularly thick today–even after reading the link, I don’t get it.
DrMagnolias on October 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Actually, the White House staff wrapped a dead fish and gave it to Rahmbow as a going away gift. I believe it was quoted by Gibbsy as “a Chicaho thing”, go figure.

Califemme on October 1, 2010 at 5:01 PM

how funny will it be if Rahm loses the mayoral primary?

Not nearly as funny as it will be if he’s disqualified from running at all for failure to meet the residency requirement — and ends up funemployed.

AZCoyote on October 1, 2010 at 5:03 PM

On his latest speaking tour, the president has continued to talk about a traditional midterm election — in which the country assesses the sitting administration’s agenda — as if it were some epic Manichean struggle, something akin to race relations: Jim Crow, civil rights, and now, most recently, the abolition of slavery. At best, Obama is implying that a referendum on his policies is of similar magnitude to an existential battle like the Civil War; at worst, he implies by analogy that he is the crusading abolitionist and his opponents the forces of slaveholding evil. And all of this from someone who campaigned on the notion of unity and national healing.

I’m sorry, but opposing higher deficits or cap-and-trade is not the same as denying someone civil rights, and Obama, the Ivy League graduate, is not a Susan B. Anthony or Martin Luther King Jr.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM

What? It’s the kiss of death. Every person that Obama endorses is tossed to the side like a…um..err…dead fish.

Guardian on October 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM

What w/b really funny is if Rahm doesn’t have legitimate residency in Chicago.

Schadenfreude on October 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM

“Hold me closer, tiny dancer” – Best tag line and picture I’ve seen in a while.

swamp_yankee on October 1, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Allah is right. This is an administration that is tough. Someone threw Kal Penn on the street (rather unceremoniously) in the middle of the night. He was mugged, and his cell phone was stolen. Good thing Kal is a patriotic American and not some sort of terrorist that hid in one of those latent cells. He was just a cute guy who got in someone’s way. Well, that happens, n’ est pas?

But, hey! This admin. really has had to deal with difficult situations. I’m especially grateful that Big MO is fighting our fat and not hers. It demonstrates a certain sense of self-sacrifice that would negate much of the negative criticism she constantly receives, no?

The only thing that I have questions about is who was actually fighting over MO’s Pepto Bismal pink pumps. They were hot items, and I do think Rahm got them. Maybe that’s why he left early.

Cody1991 on October 1, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Guardian on October 1, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Not 100% true… Bennett in Colorado and Lincoln in Arkansas both won their primaries.

Of course, Lincoln is about to lose by the biggest margin for a sitting senator in probably three decades, if not longer, and Bennett is currently trailing Buck.

teke184 on October 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Hold me closer, tiny dancer.

that is so wrong on so many levels …

BrideOfRove on October 1, 2010 at 5:12 PM