Indie Lt Gov candidate in MA defects, endorses GOP ticket

posted at 11:36 am on October 1, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Charlie Baker has begun to take momentum in the Massachusetts gubernatorial race despite having to contend with an independent bid from former Democrat Tim Cahill in his bid to unseat Democratic incumbent Deval Patrick.  No one noticed that more than Cahill’s running mate, state representative Paul Loscocco, a former Republican.  Today, Loscocco announced that he would remove himself from Cahill’s ticket — and endorse Baker’s ticket:

The running mate for Democrat-turned-independent candidate Tim Cahill in the Massachusetts governor’s race has defected to Republican Charles Baker‘s campaign today.

State Rep. Paul Loscocco (R) dropped out as Cahill’s choice for lieutenant governor today and endorsed Baker, First Read has learned. In a statement obtained by NBC News, Loscocco said he did not want to be part of a spoiler campaign.

“I cannot sit idly by as my friends and supporters cast their votes for my ticket, knowing that the best chance to defeat Governor Patrick is with Charlie Baker,” Loscocco will say at a press conference later this morning. “I cannot and will not let my ego get in the way of doing what is right for Massachusetts. Charlie Baker has the experience that can help Massachusetts head in a new direction and I’m pleased to endorse him today. This election is an opportunity to put Massachusetts back on track towards economic recovery. I urge voters who want new leadership on Beacon Hill to join me in voting for Charlie Baker and Richard Tisei on Election Day.”

That’s bad news for Tim Cahill, and really bad news for Deval Patrick.  Loscocco’s presence on Cahill’s ticket gave Patrick some hope that the indie bid would split Republicans as much as it does Democrats.  With Loscocco off the ticket and publicly joining Baker’s campaign, that will encourage those Republicans to unite, while Cahill remains to split Democrats.

But even apart from that, this is a rather unique occurrence in American politics.  I don’t recall a time when an independent abandoned a race this late to endorse one of his opponents.  That will give it all the more impact in Massachusetts, and it will mean big trouble for Patrick unless he can convince Cahill to exit the race as well.

Comments

Hey, Democrats? You’re defending turf in Massachusetts and California. I just want to rub that in.

amerpundit on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

This is Honorable. Hey Lisa Mecluski, take a hint.

portlandon on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Fantastic Friday.

C’mon, Massachusetts. Go Red!

BuckeyeSam on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Thank gawd. I friggin cant wait to get Deval out of here.

Now if we could bring back dog racing and make sure all the tax roll back props pass.

Rich on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Why can’t more Republicans be this gracious and selfless? Classy move by the dude.

Doughboy on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

It’s crazy that Deval Patrick even has a chance to win re-election. He’s been a disaster, just like Axelrod’s other over-hyped product, Barry Obama.

AZCoyote on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Can we clone this guy?

mankai on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

That’s bad news for Tim Cahill, and really bad news for Deval Patrick.

But fantastic news for us here in Massachusetts.

Keep in mind that Deval Patrick was a dry run for David Axlerod & Co – the lessons learned plowed into the Barack Obama campaign.

If this is indeed a harbinger of things to come for Obama, then all Americans should cheer this development.

And Tim Cahill can go straight to **** for what he is trying to pull here.

turfmann on October 1, 2010 at 11:44 AM

What is former Mass Governor Mitt Romney’s Roll in helping get the Republican elected? Has he endorsed? Does Romney have any political pull in Mass?

portlandon on October 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

This is Honorable. Hey Lisa Mecluski, take a hint.

portlandon on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Her name is spelled Leeeza. Get it right.

dczombie on October 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Can we clone this guy?

mankai on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Maybe Loscocco is a clone of Scott Brown…

Steve Z on October 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

“I cannot and will not let my ego get in the way of doing what is right for Massachusetts” Paul Loscocco

“I cannot and will not let Massachusetts get in the way of doing what is right for my yacht.” John Kerry

ChrisB on October 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

We have a spoiler in Illinois named Scott Lee Cohen.
He’s only running to get back at Quinn and Madigan but the end result is more likely to hurt Brady.
I hate Illinois.
Good for the gentleman in MA.
That’s what we need in IL!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Not to be a cynic, but is this guy reading the wind and deciding that going with it is easier than going against it; he did leave late in the game.

Whatever, at this point I’m pretty much willing to take what I can get, though my disgust for politicians in general is still riding high.

Bishop on October 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Her name is spelled Leeeza. Get it right.

dczombie on October 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Actually, it’s spelled L-o-o-s-a

ChrisB on October 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

AZCoyote on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

The only reason that ProtObama had a shot was that there was a spoiler leaching off about 10-15%.

If this helps kill the spoiler campaign, then Patrick is toast because his support is NOT going to get over 50%.

teke184 on October 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Ouch! That’s gonna leave a mark….

Heh

cmsinaz on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

I don’t recall a time when an independent abandoned a race this late to endorse one of his opponents. That will give it all the more impact in Massachusetts, and it will mean big trouble for Patrick unless he can convince Cahill to exit the race as well.

Everyone is running for the Republican life boat. In a state like MA, one has to wonder if Barfy Frank is gonna go down to defeat this year.

glennbo on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Sweet news. He showed some much-needed character.

Are we sure he’s a politician? /s

I’m getting more hopeful. Maybe here in Northern Virginia we can defeat Moran by electing Murray.

NaCly dog on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

amerpundit on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

lol…awesome

miConsevative on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

How many Massholes are there here?
Count off.

Rich on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

amerpundit on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

LOL

I giggled when I read that. You know, Obama may have been the best thing to have happened to the Republican Party in a long, long time.

ButterflyDragon on October 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Better send this bho back to give a boost to deval asap!
L

letget on October 1, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Good for Paul Loscocco. Hat tip to a classy guy. It’s refreshing to see one pol who has his state’s best interest at heart.

anXdem on October 1, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Yes!! Deval is going down. I can’t wait to vote. There is also a proposition on the ballot to slash the MA sales tax from over 6% to 3%.

Somehow I doubt it will pass but you never know. A majority of MA residents seem to love paying taxes for some reason.

Mord on October 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Cahill is a lifelong Democrat. No one up here was buying the independent line he was trying to sell. Timmy, here’s the political equivalent of a loaded pistol. Do the right thing…

RedMindBlueState on October 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM

MA is a really satisfying example of what can happen when an intelligent electorate wakes up to the reality of total Democrat control. I’d like to think the same thing could happen here in California, but I know it can’t. I hate to say it, but I don’t think Californians are smart enough to know, or ever figure out, where the problem lies.

Infidoll on October 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM

The Howie Carr show won’t be nearly as entertaining if the Proto-Obama (or Axelrod’s opening act) is defeated.

Slublog on October 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM

The bad news is Charlie Baker and his Lt. Gov running mate Richard Tisei are about as pro-abortion as they come.

unclesmrgol on October 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Rich on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

/Raises hand

Mord on October 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Whoops. Hit post too soon.

Headline if Patrick loses: “Patrick defeated in re-election bid; hacks, NH liquor stores hardest hit.”

Slublog on October 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Bishop on October 1, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Riding? I think I am floating on disgust right now. The Waders have been under the poo for months.

upinak on October 1, 2010 at 11:58 AM

I cannot and will not let my ego get in the way of doing what is right for MassachusettsAmerica.

Can we clone this guy?

mankai on October 1, 2010 at 11:43 AM

We could use a few of him right here in the HotAir comments section and Greenroom.

gryphon202 on October 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Count it!

Good Lt on October 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

What…?

Didn’t he hear that ending slavery took a long time too, or something?

Seven Percent Solution on October 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

What’s going on in Blueville? Christie, Brown now Loscocco? Something in the water up there? No wonder Dems like to promise “clean water” in campaigns.

cartooner on October 1, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I wish Ted had lived to see this. I finally miss him…

karl9000 on October 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Rich on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

/Raises hand

Mord on October 1, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Here’s another Conservative in MA! There aren’t as few as some might think. GO CHARLIE!!!! Throw some $ his way if you can.

4Freedom on October 1, 2010 at 12:03 PM

October surprise, baby!
Woooo!

madmonkphotog on October 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Slublog on October 1, 2010 at 11:56 AM

True, but for now, just think of how much fun Howie’s going to have this afternoon.

RedMindBlueState on October 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM

RedMindBlueState on October 1, 2010 at 12:04 PM

No joke. I’m looking forward to it.

Slublog on October 1, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Somebody get him a plane ticket to Alaska.

Lisa, there’s some guy from Massachusetts that wants to talk to you.

azkag on October 1, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Think about this. Massachusetts is always one of the first states to get their returns in on election night. Not as quick as SC, Virginia, Indiana or Kentucky. But in that second wave of election totals.

Just imagine how demoralized Democrats are going to be when they hear Obama Democrat DeVal Patrick defeated for reelection in Mass. That after, “Republicans win Senate seats in Indiana and Kentucky.” Plus, “CT race too close to call.”

Oooh, this is going to be such a sweet election night.

ericdondero on October 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Nah, Deval has been boring. Liveshot and Frank are still around, and somehow Mumbles keeps getting re-elected. MA never fails to supply a healthy list of idiot politicians at all levels.

I must say that I had Cahill pegged wrong.

reaganaut on October 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Time for some popcorn!
Followed by pudding in November.

Y-not on October 1, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I must say that I had Cahill pegged wrong.

Should be the Cahill affect….

Was pretty nervous a couple of weeks ago that this would lead to Empty Suit Jr being given a free pass.

reaganaut on October 1, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Infidoll: MA is a really satisfying example of what can happen when an intelligent electorate wakes up to the reality of total Democrat control.

As a MA native I’d like to ask: what intelligent electorate?

Chickyraptor on October 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I wish Ted had lived to see this. I finally miss him…

karl9000 on October 1, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Loved this!!!

lovingmyUSA on October 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Wait a minute. A Democrat-turned-Indie endorsed a Republican? DINO!! DINO!! For the sake of purity, I’m sure the Dims are glad this guy has been purged from the party. /s

joejm65 on October 1, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Howie Carr: “Tim, I beseech you, call Deval, ask your boss to let you drop out. You’ve held up your end of the deal as long as you could. It’s getting really embarrassing.”

Chickyraptor on October 1, 2010 at 12:35 PM

“Those words make sense individually. I just can’t seem to understand how they can be used in a sentance like that.”
–Crist, Murkowski, Castle, etc.

DrAllecon on October 1, 2010 at 12:36 PM

And he notified Baker a day before he told Cahill. Ouch. Now Tim, do the right thing and bow out.

emz35 on October 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM

As a MA native I’d like to ask: what intelligent electorate?

Chickyraptor on October 1, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I spent 15 years in MA wondering how people could be so stupid. I now realize I had no idea what stupid was. Things are grim here, Dude. You’ve no idea.

Infidoll on October 1, 2010 at 12:41 PM

You don’t need a weatherman to know which way wind is blowing.

To quote somebody or other…

Dhuka on October 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Libertarians and Constitution party candidates would get a lot more credit from me if they did this kind of thing, too. Make your point, then endorse the Republican.

joe_doufu on October 1, 2010 at 12:46 PM

As a MA native I’d like to ask: what intelligent electorate?

Oh they’re out there, mainly in the smaller towns and suburbs. The clowns can keep getting re-elected in their Gerrymandered districts and big cities packed with unions, state workers, college kids and special interests but we’ve had our share of GOP governors. It’s different when it’s a statewide vote.

It’s always fun to look at the town by town results in elections.

Still a long way to go, this state just has way to many public sector employees at all levels. Even they will wake up when there are no taxpayers left to support them and their pensions. Then it may be too late.

reaganaut on October 1, 2010 at 12:48 PM

When Deval leaves Mass can he take Matsuzaka with him?

Little Boomer on October 1, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The Dem-wits are feeling a chill wind.

esnap on October 1, 2010 at 1:03 PM

portlandon on October 1, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Doesn’t Mitt generlly jump in front of the parade, ready to lead, the day after the election?

Just askin!

dhunter on October 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

amerpundit on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Heh. Deval is indeed a devil.

Jaibones on October 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM

amerpundit on October 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Don’t forget New York!

barnone on October 1, 2010 at 1:18 PM

As a MA native I’d like to ask: what intelligent electorate?

Up until Brown they have confining actually thinking to referendum votes. They may have finally caught on that elected officials can get around those. Maybe they are starting to realize you have to throw the big spenders out.

pedestrian on October 1, 2010 at 1:46 PM

My hat is off to Mr. Loscocco, for subduing his own ego in the service of a larger goal. That’s a win, sir!

perries on October 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Sweet news. He showed some much-needed character.

Are we sure he’s a politician? /s

NaCly dog on October 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM

Sure hope so – just donated to Murray last week. After all, McDonnell took Fairfax by a point or so. It couldhappen.

perries on October 1, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Sweeter than cotton candy, and totally without the aching teeth.

Unless you’re a dem, of course. :)

Bob's Kid on October 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Just askin!

dhunter on October 1, 2010 at 1:09 PM

It is a shame people still spread this garbage. As a Mass resident I saw how he could have been a real leader- unlike the current resident of the White House. Instead you promote this nonsense and nominated Mccain who’s positions were indistinguishable from Democrats.

If you actually care Romney did endorse Baker and Baker’s website actually has a mini-Charlie identical to the former mini-Mitt. I’m sure that is a total coincidence and Mitt did not put any real work into it right?

Resolute on October 1, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Oooh, this is going to be such a sweet election night.

ericdondero on October 1, 2010 at 12:16 PM

“Great, kid! Don’t get cocky.” — Han Solo

Spent last night online heating up my credit card with donations to my local Tea Party candidates. Going to volunteer at a phone bank starting next week, so the voice interrupting your dinner may be mine! :-)

Mary in LA on October 1, 2010 at 4:15 PM

perries on October 1, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I agree. I am very impressed — so much so that I’ll donate to his next campaign in 2012.

Mary in LA on October 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

OMG, did hell freeze over while I was in a meeting this morning? A politician who won’t let his ego get in the way of good governance? Hey, a pig just flew by!

Btw,

ChrisB on October 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Winner.

College Prof on October 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM

So this Independant has shown more loyalty to the Republican Party than any RINO ever has.

What does that tell you?

logis on October 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM