Video: “True Grit” trailer

posted at 9:00 pm on September 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, finally something in the endless queue of Hollywood remakes that I’m looking forward to. Some commenters will dismiss this as pure sacrilege, but c’mon: The Coen Brothers reuniting with the Dude for a fresh take on one of the Duke’s classics? You’re going to see it. We’re all going to see it.

I think Bridges is an inspired choice, actually. How many Hollywood actors are sufficiently respected and hardboiled to tackle a role as iconic as Rooster Cogburn? Try to imagine, say, Clooney playing this part.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

You won’t match John Wayne’s screen presence with anyone alive for this flick. Duke OWNS this.

But if you absolutely HAD to do a remake, Viggo Mortensen, would have been a better choice for Rooster. He was excellent in Hidalgo, and History of Violence. Not to mention Lord of The Rings. He can do action.

Bridges can act, but I keep seeing him as a women’s gymnastic coach in some flick my daughter and I saw.

shades_of_gasden on October 1, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Glenn Campbell was no great shakes, so it’s a pretty low bar.

Who will play Dennis Hopper’s character?

NoDonkey on October 1, 2010 at 7:37 AM

NoDonkey, please translate. I know of Glenn Campbell but not much about him. Great shakes? What’s the low bar?

Please I feel really ignorant reading your comment. Enlighten me.

I like the Peasall sisters. I’m encouraging my daughter who plays the violin (future fiddler) to play some of their stuff.

shick on October 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Glenn Campbell was no great shakes, so it’s a pretty low bar.

Who will play Dennis Hopper’s character?

NoDonkey on October 1, 2010 at 7:37 AM

Translate your comment for me please. I know of Glenn Campgell but what do you mean by no great shakes. Did he perform that song and you think he did badly?

Dennis Hopper would have played Rooster better.

shick on October 1, 2010 at 1:48 PM

shick on October 1, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Glen Campbell was a mediocre pop country singer when he got this part.

I believe he later commented on how bad his performance was in this movie. Not his fault, he wasn’t an actor.

He sang the song.

Dennis Hopper was only good at playing psychotics, likely because he was one.

NoDonkey on October 1, 2010 at 4:23 PM

In faCT i WANT TO AMEND MY EARLIER REMARKS and say Kurt freaking Russell could play the John wayne role in true grit(along with Tommy Lee and Robert duvall)

kangjie on September 30, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Holy Crap you’re right, Kurt Russel would have been perfect! I’ll take him even over Michael Ironside for the role. He doesn’t do action anymore because he feels he is too old, but that is the whole point of this character and he would nail it. It would be neat to see him with old Snake Pliskin eyepatch.

Daemonocracy on October 1, 2010 at 12:21
PM

I have to disagree. Just because he wore an eye patch in Escape from LA and Escape from New York doesn’t make him fit for the part. His acting isn’t right to channel Rooster Cogburn.

mizflame98 on October 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Glenn Campbell was more than mediocre. Has several hit songs and even had his own tv variety show. More than I can say for a heck of a lot of so called singers, er, artist these days.

LurP on October 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM

While I did NOT peruse this entire thread – Jeff Bridges I feel is adequate (we’ll see eh?)

I think (IMHO) we could definitely add:
Jack Nicholson
Sam Eliot
Richard Boone
OR
perhaps even James Arness (if you could ever ‘dirty him up’ enough)
to the list of possibles………….

Katfish on October 1, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I love Jeff Bridges (he was amazing in Tideland).

I hate the directors. Their movies are the violence and language for the sake of violence and language types that I don’t like. I will not be seeing it.

Theophile on October 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM