GOP nominee for governor to NY Post editor: I’ll take you out

posted at 4:50 pm on September 30, 2010 by Allahpundit

We’re late to this one, but oh well. The editor in question is Fred Dicker, who’s covered Albany for the Post since forever and whom Paladino accuses of being in the tank for Andrew Cuomo (maybe with some justification). Last weekend, the Post ran a story about the child Paladino had with a former mistress 10 years ago and reportedly sent a photographer to the house where Paladino’s daughter lives to get a shot of her. Here’s their campaign statement about it; that invasion of privacy is what spurred Paladino to tell Dicker he’d take him out. Paladino also wants to know why his affair is the subject of a Post blockbuster cover story while Cuomo’s affairs are left uncovered. The Post’s reply: There’s no evidence of any Andrew Cuomo affairs. Paladino’s reply to that: There will be soon.

So there’s the context you need for the clusterfark you’re about to see. My worry here is that, as much as people will sympathize with Paladino for wanting to protect his daughter, New Yorkers have had two massive trainwrecks in a row as governor. In any other state this year, a tea partier who’s willing to be a loose cannon to shake up government is a good thing. In New York, given the past three years, maybe not so much. People are weary of drama, I think, and Paladino going around threatening to take a baseball bat to Albany and to “take out” reporters (he clarified today to say he meant it in the sense of taking out the trash) is, perhaps, not the best way to assure them that he’ll be different. Especially since his opponent, by dint of his parentage, recalls an era when the drama in the capital wasn’t so lurid.

The latest poll of likely voters from Marist, out just this afternoon: Cuomo 53, Paladino 38. Survey USA and Quinnipiac had the race within single digits just last week, which might have been noise or might have been a bounce Paladino got from winning the primary. I’m curious to see how the next round of numbers looks, especially now that this clip’s getting attention on the local news.

Comments

Western_Civ on September 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Wasn’t this up this morning in comments? My answer is still the same. Buck up. If you threaten my kid, you’ll get more than a restrained threat.

di butler on September 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

I’ll ask the same question I posed yesterday in the Whitman thread. If Cuomo wins as expected, what exactly is his plan as Governor? New York is almost as bad off as California budgetwise and they’re already tapped out in terms of taxes.

Doughboy on September 30, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Palin/Paladino ’12. The Anti- Lamestream Media ticket.

portlandon on September 30, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Going after his daughter was wrong…he deserves more than he got.

d1carter on September 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Was this the same guy who sent the bestiality email forwards, or am I getting him confused with someone else?

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Personally, I think it’s refreshing to see a politician speak bluntly … especially when it involves their family and the oh so typical democrat “hit job”. If you don’t stand up to these slime balls you lose.

darwin on September 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Western_Civ on September 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM

In defense of Obama(a phrase I hardly ever use), he said he would send some dude named Mr. Burgess to tear up Hannity. Plus he sounded like he was kidding.

Doughboy on September 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Dude! This is BS. They are doing a Palin on this guy and getting mad because he is fighting back. Hell I hope he wins!

upinak on September 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Paladino is the idiot who thinks Cuomo private life is fair game, then gets pissed when the press found out about his 10yr old bastard from a previous affair. He opened the can of worms.

Apologetic California on September 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Apologetic California on September 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

I don’t think you are getting the point. You don’t go after the kids. HELLO! It doesn’t matter what it was or how it was… you just don’t go after the kids. Ever.

upinak on September 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Wondered why AP hadn’t gotten round to this juicy bit of juice.

John the Libertarian on September 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM

He was never going to win anyway.

ThePrez on September 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Nope. Politically bad move? Of course. Realistically? A father getting pissed. I’d say the same if it was a lib.

MadisonConservative on September 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Wondered why AP hadn’t gotten round to this juicy bit of juice.

John the Libertarian on September 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I think it was in headlines yesterday.

sharrukin on September 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Paladino will stop the mosque, that is all.

tessa on September 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Wow! Politics really is a contact sport in New York.

CliffHanger on September 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM

1. Your messing with family.
2. This is New York, Italiano Style
3. This is New York, Tammany Hall Style

4. Nothing to see here. Smoke the SOB’s Carl.

swamp_yankee on September 30, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Papa Grizzly in action.

Terrie on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Apologetic California on September 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

You got your facts up-side down. It was the Dems/press who went after Paladino’s private life FIRST, not the other way around. He is not the one who started this.

He has every reason to fight back, and I am glad he does.

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Yeah, how dare he defend his 10 year old daughter?

That would only be acceptable if he were a T14 grad.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Well Cuomo is calling him a racist now. This was a toss up seat anyways.

Wish Guilianni had run for Senate however. That is a seat we could have won.

William Amos on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Dicker is to Albany what Jack Anderson was to DC back in the day: a muckracker par excellance, with a huge lefty tilt. But while Anderson was a commie in his prime, or near enough, Dicker is really just a Democrat mouthpiece. Here’s an entertaining background piece on Dicker, and I wouldn’t worry about threats to him.

MTF on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Apologetic California on September 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Kids are not part of the politics…no exceptions, the journalist crossed the line.
The one precious thing we have left in life, childhood, and it has to be taken away by stupid, ugly, journalists.
Palin’s family was affected the worse (being called whores, and calling for them to be raped)…and it just continues.
Enough is enough…and putz’s like you don’t help.

right2bright on September 30, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I said,

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 4:56 PM

And then you responded by saying,

Yeah, how dare he defend his 10 year old daughter?

That would only be acceptable if he were a T14 grad.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

You don’t know what words mean, do you?

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Paladino came off looking like a thug. Not the image we want to put forward. Righteous indignation and a coolly worded condemnation would have worked better than threatening the guy and going off with wild accusations about Cuomo. There’s plenty in Cuomo’s policy positions to attack. If he’s truly got something about Cuomo’s marriage, they should have dumped it out there anonymously – not had the candidate talking about it.

I’m not wild about dragging up the personal stuff anyway, but I might make an exception for Cuomo IF there’s real evidence. I thought he was tacky for ending his marriage to Ms. Kennedy with a press conference accusing her of having cheated on him. Publicly trashing the mother of your children is not a nice thing (Note to Giuliani on that one.)

Jill1066 on September 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

You don’t know what words mean, do you?

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Maybe not…but he has you pegged…

right2bright on September 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

I’m listening to Rush’s show now on this (24/7 podcasts).

AP–you should add a poll for this. Would be interesting to see the results.

conservative pilgrim on September 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

There’s your problem… Marist completely blew the Republican primary, IIRC, having Lazio beating Paladino in a squeaker instead of Paladino beating Lazio by about 20-30 points.

I think that Marist’s weighting is probably off on their samples, which makes Paladino look further behind than he is. Not that he’s ahead, but certainly not behind by 15 considering Cuomo looks impotent after the way he handled Paladino’s letter last week.

teke184 on September 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

It’s a figure of speech. When Obama said he would “tear up Sean Hannity” where was the freakout?Western_Civ on September 30, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Doughboy on September 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Correct, because Obama never gets his own prissy hands dirty, unless he’s shaking them with SEIU.

Western_Civ on September 30, 2010 at 5:17 PM

Bammie told the bankers that “I’m all that stands between you and the pitchforks”. That vicious threat, meaning far more coming from POTUS, seemed unremarkable to the liberal media. He also demonstrated that he could follow through when busloads of SEIU thugs showed up on a (democratic!) bankers’ front lawn and intimidated his child.

Bammie taught Alinsky in Chicago, he understands how to use violence and thuggery to get what he wants. Paladino is a piker in that regard.

slickwillie2001 on September 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM

upinak on September 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, a photographer taking pictures of a ten year old in her bedroom window. Nothing wrong with that. No reason to be upset. ////

conservative pilgrim on September 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Well Cuomo is calling him a racist now. This was a toss up seat anyways.

Wish Guilianni had run for Senate however. That is a seat we could have won.

William Amos on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

I’m hoping the GOP pushes hard here. They have some wiggle room and they could force the Dems to have to dump lots of money in a “safe state” like NY.

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

New Yorkers have had two massive trainwrecks in a row as governor.

And who can guarantee that Cuomo won’t be the third? I don’t see that as an argument against Paladino.

In this year, in this climate, with voters this angry, I don’t see how Paladino should play nice. He could actually win.

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Jill1066 on September 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I know that’s the reasonable view but I don’t hold it against Paladino. Obama is all for coolly worded statements and he usually comes across as having less testosterone than his wife.

CarolynM on September 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM

conservative pilgrim on September 30, 2010 at 5:19 PM

People are sick.

upinak on September 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Hell, maybe a BASEBALL BAT is EXACTLY what they need!

GarandFan on September 30, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Children must be protected from all potential pedophiles. I probably wouldn’t have been so nice to the sleaze-bag.

DL13 on September 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Obama: “If they bring knives to the fight, you bring guns.”
Case closed.`

carbon_footprint on September 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

“People are weary of drama”?!?
In NY politics?!?
In this political climate?!?
Allah get out of the apartment more often…
There is a revolution afoot…

mjbrooks3 on September 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Where was the media outrage when white voters were being intimidated at polling stations?

Oh yeah… that would be racist or something. Now, this Paladino guy… is he one of those them there I-talyans?

MeatHeadinCA on September 30, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Yes, because obviously, it’s perfectly acceptable to put a CAMERA in a 10-year-old girl’s WINDOW because her father is running for office and happens to be a REPUBLICAN.

This stuff makes me so mad I could take the guy out myself! In fact, if I were Paladino, I wouldn’t bother with the yelling match. I’d be at the D.A.’s office filing charges for any and every law that was broken here, and I would make sure these child molesting wanna-be’s were thrown into some deep, dark dungeon with a guy named Bruno that hadn’t been out in awhile.

UnderstandingisPower on September 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

You don’t know what words mean, do you?

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I know what the words “disingenuous twit” mean.

Good Solid B-Plus on September 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM

OT: New Gallup poll suggest Hillary would give Ogabe a run for his money if she challenged him for the 2012 Democratic Nomination

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

LOL, Chris Matthews just introduced this clip as “Something scary! Real scary!” Oh my goodness! Unfortunately his liberal guests are laughing the clip off as “New Yorkers being New Yorkers”.

Marcus on September 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Too bad Hot Air didn’t help promote candidates like Berntsen against Schumer or Chris Gibson who is running against Scott Murphy instead of waiting around for drama.

Connie on September 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Are you talking about the poll that has her down 52-37? That poll? That’s the one you’re saying would give Obama “a run for his money”?

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Take him out!
You gotta keep ‘em separated

Christien on September 30, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Don’t competing Marxists normally employ “hit men” to take out their opponent? This may be good for the country.

darwin on September 30, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 5:38 PM

God help us if this abomination were to run and win. Frightening.

sandee on September 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

upinak on September 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Yep. And especially when the kids are in grade school.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 30, 2010 at 5:51 PM

You don’t know what words mean, do you?

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I know the words disgusting creep.

Sorry, most of us don’t think taking photos of a kid through a window is OK.

tetriskid on September 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Does Paladino remember what happened to almost-Vice-President John Edwards? It’s sometimes possible to hide a mistress, but not a child. And after a mistress/hooker took down Spitzer, who was popular before he was found out, New Yorkers have little patience for such things…

Steve Z on September 30, 2010 at 5:56 PM

You know if Rudy said something like this everyone would think it was cool. Politics up here is a little less civil then most places and there is an element of truth to the hot-headed Italian New Yawkah stereotype.

Like I said earlier, nothing to see here.

swamp_yankee on September 30, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I think I said this in the other thread on this: If this had of been in the South, Paladino would have lost points for not punching someone in the nose for threatening his kid. Politics is a nasty, nasty business. People need to get off of their fainting couches. And if you think this is dirty, then get the smelling salts, 2012 is coming.

di butler on September 30, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Proud Rino on September 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

An incumbent president barely braking 50% in a hypotetical match-up within his own party? Yes, indeed.

If you think this poll discourages any would-be primary opponents from challening the clown in the WH, think again.

Norwegian on September 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM

If some scumbag reporter was sticking a camera in the window of my daughter, I’d be racking the slide of a copper coated candy dispenser.

Yakko77 on September 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM

I’ll believe Dicker isn’t shilling for Cuomo when he does an expose of Cuomo’s complicity in Fannie & Freddie and the housing bubble. There’s plenty of dirt in Cuomo’s background. Do your job, media. Tell the truth for a change.

Connie on September 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM

If anyone harrassed, disrupted, photographed, followed, questioned, or otherwise disturbed my child? I’d take them out, too.

/Mama Grizzly

Key West Reader on September 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Connie on September 30, 2010 at 5:39 PM

I didn’t know that this blog was engaged in promoting any candidate. Have I missed something?

Key West Reader on September 30, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Fred Dicker can be heard often in interviews on NYC radio stations. I’ve always found his interview style to be abrupt, egotistical and rather sanctimonious so this is no surprise to me. I always thought Dicker leaned left. I’ll side with Mr. Paladino on this one.

diogenes on September 30, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Attacking the Corrupt Media Establishment is really bad for your campaign this year. I bet he only gets a 10 point bump in the polls.

TheBigOldDog on September 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Hot Air is pretty much a center-right blog, rather than a Progressive blog. They did a fairly good job watching NY-23. Why not NY-20 or the race against Schumer? It’s like everything is always such a given in NYS that no one bothers. Races in California and Minnesota have been promoted here – just by posting about them. It’s not a specific candidate thing as much as it is drawing attention to them rather than ignoring.

Connie on September 30, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Hah. The media don’t know how to react to someone not eating a crap sandwich.

SouthernGent on September 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Sorry, Allah, but you’re wrong about NYers not wanting someone fiery like Paladino.

We’re voting for him. We’re sick and tired of the Cuomos, Spitzers and Silvers stomping on our dreams and blocking our lives.

Go, Carl!

Mommynator on September 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM

New Yorkers have had two massive trainwrecks in a row as governor

So the choice is between another trainwreck or a guy willing to defend his daughter?

Not that tough to me.

xax on September 30, 2010 at 7:29 PM

I hope someone else said this:
Smell the fear…oh yea! Dancing on the CUMo legacy …

jerrytbg on September 30, 2010 at 7:40 PM

/Mama Grizzly

Key West Reader on September 30, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Of course…the act is below contempt…

jerrytbg on September 30, 2010 at 7:44 PM

Paraphrase of Lincoln on Grant:

“Find out what Chris Christie is drinking and feed it to the other (conservative) candidates.”

Caststeel on September 30, 2010 at 7:48 PM

He’s not diiferent at all. He’s a new former. And any new yorker is far far far to the left of center. And most of them also think being a bully is just how you act so you get your way.

KMC1 on September 30, 2010 at 7:54 PM

Apologetic California on September 30, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Bastard? You really have to use that word for a 10-year-old girl?

Is it her fault?

Paladino should have used more decorous and civilized language, I’m sure. But I fail to see why the New York Post needs to hunt down his daughter. And frankly, that kind of behavior doesn’t deserve decorous and civilized language.

Leave the kids out of it. And journalists who refuse to leave the kids out of it deserve to be “taken out.”

tom on September 30, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Papa Grizzly in action.

Terrie on September 30, 2010 at 5:10 PM

THREAD WINNER!!!!

***What choices voters have in New York…..this (and Mexifornia too for that matter) year……GOD HELP US.

PappyD61 on September 30, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Paladino is the idiot who thinks Cuomo private life is fair game

IF ONLY we had a real media (not the pack of lying scum that make up the horde today). We’d have reporters actually investigating Cuomo for his HUD crap that he should be IN JAIL FOR.

Or maybe we’d have him being investigated for his management style…..or maybe we would have had some background run on the DOTUS in the White House……ALAS, WE HAVE NO MEDIA in America today.

PappyD61 on September 30, 2010 at 8:31 PM

Bull, I don’t care which side of the aisle you’re on… you don’t screw with somebody’s kids. Staking out a 10 year girl and peeking through her bedroom window is so far outside the bounds of common decency so as to indefensible by any sane person!

jasetaro on September 30, 2010 at 10:27 PM

He’s just “gettin in their face” he’s just trying to figure out “who’s ass to kick”. Oh, that’s only ok if you’re a minority or a liberal…got it.

Alden Pyle on September 30, 2010 at 11:07 PM

I love it! Paladino shows he’s got a pair. If I still live in NYS, I would be voting for him!

EliTheBean on October 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Got no problem with this. 10 year old daughter, especially ones out of the spotlight, are off limits.

rbj on October 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Most people will take Paladino’s side. People hate the media already and then when a photograper tries to take pictures of his daughter who is 10, gimme a break!

Had this happened in Texas the photographer would be lucky to get away without a bullet in his chest. I have “heard” (not sure) that they were taking pictures of her through her bedroom window! If it were my daughter I wouldn’t have threatened him, I would have found him prior to the metting and beaten the crap out of him and then if he sued me I would sue him for being a peeping tom.

jeffn21 on October 1, 2010 at 12:26 PM