Obama: Let’s not turn illegal immigration into an “us and them” issue

posted at 5:04 pm on September 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Via CNS News, a bon mot from yesterday’s backyard pain-feeling extravaganza in New Mexico. I think all he means here when he says there is no “us and them” is that we don’t want U.S. citizens racially profiled or wrongly detained under Arizona’s law because they’re Latino, which is true enough. (Never mind the fact that the statute explicitly prohibits cops from profiling.) Is that what he’s saying? Or are illegals who violated U.S. law to get here officially now part of the great American “we”? Maybe that can be Meg Whitman’s defense when Jerry Brown brings up her former maid at the next debate. There is no “legal” and “illegal,” Moonbeam. There’s just … us.

The best part here, though, is the Great Uniter deploring the politics of division after 20 months of prominent liberals framing the tea-party movement as some sort of second coming of the Klan. Why, as recently as yesterday, the White House lauded the valuable contribution to the national discourse made by Keith “Fox News is worse than Al Qaeda” Olbermann. Although in fairness, maybe all that’s starting to change: Of late, The One’s been annoying conservatives and liberals in almost equal measure. See? He’s bringing America together after all.

Comments

Why not, you twit?

They are invading the country and trying to change the American culture to what they have in the ‘homeland’.

belad on September 29, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Come together…right now…over me

and my “me” says enforce the law.

tomg51 on September 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM

1. There is a pathway.

2. They are criminals.

3. Obama is a liar.

STOP CONFUSING LEGAL IMMIGRANTS WITH CRIMINAL ALIENS.

tetriskid on September 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Says the man who “WON”!

upinak on September 29, 2010 at 5:09 PM

he means “us” Americans can’t be upsetting the illegals because the Dems need “them” votes.

meanings.

ted c on September 29, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Obama: Let’s not turn illegal immigration into an “us and them” issue

This from the guy who has turned every other issue (race, tax increases, etc) into an “us and them” issue.

UltimateBob on September 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Excuse me, Mr. President. There’s a call from Heaven for you…a Mr. Robert Krentz, formerly of Arizona.

kingsjester on September 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Latinos… No us vs them issue…
Christians… Guys who run to their guns and bible when they’re scared…

I wonder why he approves one group and not the other… hmmm… which group votes for his party more often?

Skywise on September 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I’m tired of being Obama’s ‘them’

tomg51 on September 29, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Now I have a Pink Floyd song stuck in my head. That’s the closest barry’s ever come to doing something nice for me.

innominatus on September 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I see nothing wrong with giving them a “pathway”…let them go home, and follow that path, the same as our ancestors had to.
Let them follow the law, enter, apply, and meet OUR standards of citizenship.
They are more then welcome…if they are not criminals, and follow our laws, including immigration laws.

right2bright on September 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Did you see the quote AP used as the tag line under the photo on this post?

“I’m always suspicious of politics that is dividing people instead of bringing them together.”

I know I should be past this, but I am still boggled at these blatant lies. His middle name is “Let’s cause divisions!”

INC on September 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Let’s not turn illegal immigration into an “us and them” issue

…Gloria Allred, call your office…

Knott Buyinit on September 29, 2010 at 5:14 PM

I guess this lets Meg Whitman off the hook? She did the right thing, and should be praised by the liberals?
Let’s see who demogouges (sp) who in California.

right2bright on September 29, 2010 at 5:15 PM

There is “us” Americans who disagree with Obama about, well everything pretty much.

Then there are “them” illegals, who Obama knows will vote for him in 2012.

Guess which group Barry would like to shove back across the border, if he could figure out how?

NoDonkey on September 29, 2010 at 5:16 PM

HA Double Dipping….

TheBigOldDog on September 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Illegal immigrants (them), vs. law abiding citizens (us) is the issue.

fourdeucer on September 29, 2010 at 5:20 PM

…says The Demagogue-in-Chief.

regal on September 29, 2010 at 5:20 PM

It’s only “us and them” when it’s evil republicans or rich people. Not when it’s illegal imigrants, terrorists, thugs at polling places, etc.

Scrappy on September 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Hey jerk cool president …..

Roll down your sleeves.
Button the cuff.
Put on a tie.
Put on a suit coat.
Stop dressing like Tom Jones.
Act like an adult.
Act like the President of the United States.

I feel like I’m talking to a 12 year old. What an embarrassment on so many levels.

fogw on September 29, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Open Borders = “America can absorb another Terrorist Attack”.

portlandon on September 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Wake up Obama you dolt . . . it is “us and them”.

rplat on September 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Comfortably Numb?

JamesB on September 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM

So says Mr. Class Warfare

barrythrowslikeagirl on September 29, 2010 at 5:26 PM

He has zero credibility on this, Mr. I think Fox is awful. LOL*

Good gravy. The man still doesn’t understand that people are actually listening to him and know when he’s BS’ing.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I think Meg’s problem will fade, personally. Welcome to today’s world.

Who doesn’t have an illegal working in some capacity. If not your maid, then the contractor who built your house hired them.

And I would challenge most people to tell me if their yard workers are legal.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Open Borders = “America can absorb another Terrorist Attack”.

portlandon on September 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Watching Greta on the Arizona border problems and reading Big Peace about Rancher X we are absorbing terrorist attacks from the drug dealers, human traffickers and arms traders constantly.

fourdeucer on September 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Osama Obama’s “us” is a group composed of traitors, law-breaking U.S. citizens, law-flouters, illegal aliens, Islamic terrorists and third-world scumbag dictators, plus a band of unseeing worshipers of the Mohammedan Mouthpiece’s so-called “greatness.”

“Them,” on the other hand, is made up of patriotic Americans, friends of the United States, and law-abiding people everywhere who appreciate our Republic.

It’s that simple.

MrScribbler on September 29, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Bwahahahahah!!

Oh, you were serious about dat?

Chip on September 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM

You lie!

ya2daup on September 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM

“Let’s not turn this into Legal Citizens vs social-service-drainholes.” I’d like to say that our President is clueless but I think that he knows exactly what he’s doing.

whiskeytango on September 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

innominatus on September 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM

RIGHT ON TARGET , Barry shifted modes JIMMY was not working so now he is using the FLOYD ( can this be wise as anti-semitism allegations are on Waters latest tour , then again its is ZERO with no teleprompter ).
Is this the same strategy that British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain fell for ?

ELMO Q on September 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

HA Double Dipping….

TheBigOldDog on September 29, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Yep. Lol

Guardian on September 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

Remember last week when our scholarly precedent patiently explained to us that long before the US was an idea, the great country of Mexico was a wonderful nation?

Remember a couple of months ago when congress patiently allowed the mexican president to scold it and us for not embracing the criminaliens sneaking across our borders and wasting tax dollars through unfunded entitlements?

These leftist fools live in an upside down world where there is no truth and fairness is a tool that floats unattached to reality.

How is it not us and them when the DOJ practically goes to war against the people of AZ?

ontherocks on September 29, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I’m always suspicious of politics that divide people instead of bringing them together.

He must have practiced that line in the mirror all night long.

JellyToast on September 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Now I have a Pink Floyd song stuck in my head.
innominatus on September 29, 2010 at 5:13 PM

“Forward!” he cried, from the rear
And the front rank died …

ya2daup on September 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Like identity politics? Surely he’s not suspicious of that.

modnar on September 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Don’t worry. Barry, it won’t be us or them. In November it will be us.

Limerick on September 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Let me guess, the solution is to make us all illegal immigrants.

clement on September 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

I think the Dems sounded nice about 20 years ago. But today? Even families who have built lives here are being invaded by gang bangers, people here to live off of welfare benefits, etc.

They have got to be thinking about this, in spite of the protests against the AZ law.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

The only “pathway” for the illegal invaders that Obama cares about is the path to the voting booth

-after that if they help bankrupt the country, well that’s just icing on the cake.

Chip on September 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Our post-grammar President.

MayBee on September 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Comfortably Numb?

JamesB on September 29, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Us and Them

lukespapa on September 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

If you recall, illegal immigrants and non-citizens were included in the scare stories about there being 47 million “Americans” without healthcare. That number was revised down once people started asking about whether illegals would be eligible for Obamacare. So illegals being a part of the great American “we” depends upon whatever taxpayer-funded BS the Left is trying to peddle and whether they think they’ll be able to get away with it.

Infidoll on September 29, 2010 at 5:34 PM

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Look, the wind blows and she follows the wind. Go figure.

Limerick on September 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I think we should listen to President Barack “I Won” Obama. He’s done such a wonderful job of bringing the country together so far.

Cicero43 on September 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

kingsjester on September 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Protecting the border does not cross his mind even when we are on high alert.

People in Mexico do not know who is in or out of drug cartels. One day, your neighbor is missing or his house is shot up. Of course, cartels also kill just because.

And Americans are supposed to believe that the country is safe.

meMC on September 29, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Obama is clearly in Big Lie territory. The plan is to say it often enough so it will be perceived as true. The American people had better have a functioning inner compass that alerts them to BS, or all will be lost. Sometimes you have to wonder whether they do. But that is what prayer is for.

paul1149 on September 29, 2010 at 5:38 PM

He must have practiced that line in the mirror all night long.

JellyToast on September 29, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Pity it didn’t take.

Count to 10 on September 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM

How about U.S. and them?

Fallon on September 29, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Please, sir, I impore you:

just how does one politely say,

“YOU F**ING HYPOCRITE!” ?

Lockstein13 on September 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Lockstein13 on September 29, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Consistantly inconsistant?

Limerick on September 29, 2010 at 5:43 PM

damn…forgot the ‘e’ part

Limerick on September 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM

just how does one politely say,

“YOU F**ING HYPOCRITE!” ?

Obama will probably have his confused dog face when you tell him this. The one HA uses with his head tilted to the right.

meMC on September 29, 2010 at 5:47 PM

I know, I was being facetious. I just want to get comfortably numb after listening to one of his idiotic speeches.

JamesB on September 29, 2010 at 5:49 PM

How about legal v illegal?

CWforFreedom on September 29, 2010 at 5:51 PM

I’m not sure which would be worse – Obama willing to say anything regardless of the facts to further his agenda, or Obama believing his own rhetoric.

peski on September 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM

The man who put a tax evader in charge of the treasury probably just feels he should have an illegal immigrant running DHS.

snaggletoothie on September 29, 2010 at 5:54 PM

American soldiers will be fighting in Mexico within ten years, numbering 10,000 or so. There’s no other way this can end.

slickwillie2001 on September 29, 2010 at 5:56 PM

20 months? Try 20 years, and that’s just Obama the Community Agitator. The Democrat party at large has been about nothing but dividing us since at least the 1960s.

Buy Danish on September 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Look, the wind blows and she follows the wind. Go figure.

Limerick on September 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Maybe your impression was wrong. Maybe you’re not really very good at sorting out your assumptions from reality. Maybe you’re just being a jerk.

I’ve had the same opinion on immigration for years, frankly.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM

OK, fine…as long as we get to be suspicious when it’s your politics that divides people.

James on September 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

See? He’s bringing America together after all.

Haha, glad I wasn’t drinking something when I read that. I wonder if there’s any oxygen up there on that high horse he rides around on.

scalleywag on September 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Can we get a gag order on Obutthead? If not, how about just a gag? I’m sick to death of his insipid, whining diatribes.

capejasmine on September 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I’ll say it again, I truly think Mr. President is insane.

scalleywag on September 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

It IS a fight between US and THEM!!

US: American citizens and other legal residents

THEM: foreign invaders, along with their domestic supporters and enablers (i.e., domestic enemies)

Duh.

fred5678 on September 29, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I’ll say it again, I truly think Mr. President is insane.

scalleywag on September 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Albert Einstein on Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Given that he and the rest of the oppressive democrats keep on doing the same thing over and over..

Chip on September 29, 2010 at 6:09 PM

I’ve had the same opinion on immigration for years, frankly.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 5:59 PM

What is your opinion?

” We need a real reform bill that is national. This is one issue that SHOULD be national.”

Your comments are nearly as nebulous as a hard vacuum.

DarkCurrent on September 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Politics that divide?

“Get cousin Pookie off the couch.”

“Mexicans were in America before white people.”

“Republicans will cut AIDS funding if they take the House.

David2.0 on September 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I want this a$$wipe to stop calling himself a Christian. He is the biggest friggin liar I have ever heard IN MY LIFE.

leftnomore on September 29, 2010 at 6:16 PM

O/T – anyone know when Barry will visit the oval office to do some, y’know, work ?

DeweyWins on September 29, 2010 at 6:20 PM

If his job is to destroy the U.S. as we know it then the Champ is B+ worthy.

PappyD61 on September 29, 2010 at 6:21 PM

Unless he’s talking about Republicans or Tea Party Patriots or American citizens. In which case, it’s open season between him and “them.”

UnderstandingisPower on September 29, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I’ve lived a long time and I have never seen this country so divided, caused by this president and his admin.

Weird because I feel they same way about Obummer, me against him!!!

concernedsenior on September 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

As President of the United States, one would think that the President would understand:

a) the difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants, and

b) that while they comprise a large number of the total number of illegal immigrants in the United States, Hispanics are not the only category of illegal immigrants who have illegally crossed our shores.

After all, The Boy King Barrack, has an auntie who is was illegally here in the United States, and my best recollection is that she is not Hispanic.

So, what are we to deduce from this?

The President is willfully ignorant in matters of law?

That all immigrants look alike to him?

That it is Obama, who is dividing this nation daily, and is serving solely as President of the Progressive Left and not the rest of the United States?

Yep…we are nothing in his eyes…and there are a lot more of us than there are him and his Obamatron followers (them). And maybe we should make sure he understands this this coming November and in November two years hence.

coldwarrior on September 29, 2010 at 7:59 PM

“I’m always suspicious of politics politicians that is are dividing people instead of bringing them together like Obama.”

xler8bmw on September 29, 2010 at 8:10 PM

So do all roads now lead to the “racial profiling” meme?

DrMagnolias on September 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Mexican officials seem to think it is just fine to build a fence on THEIR southern border.

journeyintothewhirlwind on September 29, 2010 at 8:15 PM

President Barack Obama uniting the country!

Against himself… it is his most successful campaign, ever.

ajacksonian on September 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Irony and impertinence are indignant.

Schadenfreude on September 29, 2010 at 9:23 PM

Spoken via teleprompter by the “Great Divider”. Obowma has divided Americans more than the Rocky Mountains, cities and suburbs, the Mississippi River and Mason-Dixon Line combined.

dthorny on September 29, 2010 at 9:43 PM

There has always been a pathway for legal immigration. I had to go through it more than 20 years ago, and not without difficulty. Came here legally and applied properly but was initially denied a green card for dubious reasons. Finally prevailed. I have relatives who had to wait 20 years themselves to be interviewed for a green card. Why do these illegal entrants get to jump to the front of the line?

miron on September 29, 2010 at 10:03 PM

He may be onto something here (for once). It’s not “Us versus Them”. It’s “Us versus HIM”. He doesn’t deserve any respect.

sgtstogie on September 29, 2010 at 10:12 PM

Impeach. Convict. Remove. Imprisonment or better yet,Exile.

adamsmith on September 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Does your wife know about this because I am quite certain Michelle Obama is seeking my tax dollars to herd the nation’s children into “us versus them” thar fatties.

P.S. I know you are above the law, Barry. Shhhhhhh on the smoking. Unplug my fridge, only you can save me! Let me learn to live as they do in Indonesia.

Note: Could he not save the job of the “cue faint” person? Aw, no more crowd swooning and pass the smelling salts. How unfortunate as these backyard tete-a-tetes even have a fainting couch a la yard lounge chair. Evil Bush Greatest Depression since Hamlet!

FeFe on September 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM