Meg Whitman: I swear, I didn’t know the maid was illegal

posted at 6:47 pm on September 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

Cavuto runs through the basics with her but, alas, neglects to ask about the potential smoking gun, that alleged red-flag letter sent to Whitman by the Social Security Administration several years ago warning her that Diaz’s name didn’t match her SS number. A possible explanation from one of Meg’s advisors:

Allred added that Whitman ignored correspondence sent to her home from the Social Security Administration in 2003. The letter informed her that Diaz’ Social Security number did not match her name – a red flag for an undocumented worker.

The letter asked Whitman to show that Diaz had proper documentation, Allred said, and there is no record that Whitman had responded…

Allred said that Whitman never asked Diaz for documentation and once asked whether she ever traveled to Mexico and Diaz told her employer, “I cannot travel outside the country.”…

Asked whether Whitman saw Diaz’ Social Security documentation, as Allred insisted, [Whitman advisor Rob] Stutzman said Whitman “never saw it … and guess who picked up the mail every day? (Nicky) was in control of it.”

According to the Times, the SSA stopped issuing red-flag letters in 2007 and won’t discuss letters sent before then due to confidentiality concerns. Maybe that letter is the mysterious document that Allred claims she’s holding in reserve to prove the truth of her claims? If so, er, how did she get possession of it? And was a $20/hour maid really in charge of billionaire Meg Whitman’s correspondence?

The LA Times helpfully reminds us that Allred also represented a woman who leveled a last-minute sexual harassment allegation at Schwarzenegger before the 2003 gubernatorial election. Quite a track record. Exit question: If, in firing Diaz, Whitman really wanted to ensure that “from now on you don’t know me, and I don’t know you” (as Diaz claims), why didn’t she ask her to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement in exchange for a payout? Diaz obviously had a financial incentive to run to a lawyer or to the media once she was canned. Why not eliminate that? Very strange.

Update: Commenters are objecting that Diaz wasn’t “in charge” of Whitman’s correspondence. Well, according to Stutzman, she was — for a short time, at least, but long enough to get rid of any letters she didn’t want Whitman to see. In any case, only one thing is certain, my friends: If Californians are so angry that Whitman used to employ an illegal that they’re willing to resign themselves to four more years of total control by the party that’s driven their economy off a cliff, well, good luck to ‘em.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Once Alameda NAS was closed I lost all interest in California. Sell it to Japan and be done with the place.

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Utelizing,the comment from,

BigOldDog/

End of F”n#$#%^&*()_+)(*&^%$#@#$%^&* story!!

canopfor on September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I BELIEVE………
my BS detector just broke………

RealMc on September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Boy this “scandal” is dying quicker than I thought.

Apologetic California on September 29, 2010 at 6:50 PM

In an earlier era, an October surprise such as this might have doomed the candidate.

That was then. This is now.

Hatred of Democrats is white hot. Crap along these lines will have no effect on Whitman’s chances. Dems must go.

FlameWarrior on September 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM

BFD.

She hired an illegal immigrant to do a job that’s largely staffed by illegals.

Big whoop.

doodleduh on September 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Quite a track record.

there’s my red flag…

cmsinaz on September 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Bringing in the mail every day does not put her in charge of Whitman’s correspondence, Allah!

What? You think the person who was left home alone every day wouldn’t bring in the mail?

MayBee on September 29, 2010 at 6:51 PM

Who the F cares? My lawnmowers are illegals. Guess I better not run for office someday– I’ll be destroyed by the revelations.

leftnomore on September 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Bishop: And,watching the movie “Dirty Harry” from 1971,will
tell you all one needs to know,about San Fransico!:)

canopfor on September 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Something is fishy here. For now, the fact that Diaz went running to Alred, is telling. I’m going to give Meg the benefit of the doubt.

The Mr. and Mrs. are out working all day. The kids in school, or whatever. It’s not impossible that Diaz retrieved the mail, as part of her duties. Why not? She’s supposed to set it all in a dish in the foyer, or in a home office? Why not? If I had a maid, I’d have them do it. That walk to the box on a hot Texas day sucks. LOL

Anyway….my gut is telling me….there is more to come on this.

capejasmine on September 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

*Facepalm*

..so we get Moonbeam-the-Buttwipe back because this lady was doing something the Dems have been advocating all along: being nice to and breaking the law by giving them illegal employment.

Funny how that works, ain’t it?

The War Planner on September 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Well, yeah, it does, for a short term at least. The advisor’s all but accusing Diaz of having stolen the letter(s) from the SSA to keep Whitman from firing her.

Allahpundit on September 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Shouldn’t Whitman’s poll numbers be going up with the Hispanic community because of this?

portlandon on September 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

– and when is that dirtbag broad All Red going to die All Ready?

leftnomore on September 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Say, is Gloria harboring a criminal?

tinkerthinker on September 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

My lawnmowers are illegals.

leftnomore on September 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

leftnomore:You must of a big estate!!(sarc).

canopfor on September 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Does anyone (other than Dem talkers) really care?

petefrt on September 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

When she brought the mail, did she bark?

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Deport the maid.

Vote for Meg.

Any questions?

shawk on September 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Deport the maid.

Vote for Meg.

Any questions?

shawk on September 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Also, put AllRed in jail for harboring a criminal.

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 6:56 PM

Very strange.

Only if you assume Whitman’s being dishonest and has something to try. I know we ought to be skeptical about anyone seeking public office, but her actions make sense if you assume she is telling the truth and honestly believed that Diaz was legal, and therefore thought she didn’t have anything to hide.

Inkblots on September 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Turn this thing on Allred and make her the villain. Did Diaz come to her, or did she or her agent approach Diaz? She is using the situation of this poor Latina victim to try to help Brown get elected. Shame on her!

Christien on September 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

From a previous AP poct:

“Obama: Let’s not turn illegal immigration into an “us and them” issue”

..move on; nothing to see here.

The War Planner on September 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I don’t think MW knew, at this point. However that block quote AP provided which states:

…and guess who picked up the mail every day? (Nicky) was in control of it.”

doesn’t quite make sense. Let’s say that Diaz did intercept the letter in 2003, what would you do with it? You’d tear it to shreds and burn it, right? Would you hold onto it in the odd chance that you would be fired by your boss so she could run for governor 7 years later? Of course not. However, as AP pointed out, how exactly did Allred get this info?

Weight of Glory on September 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

If I were Meg Whitman this is what I’d say:

“See, even I am a victim of illegal immigration. The flow must stop. Here is my plan to stop it. {show plan}”.*

I’m assuming “the plan” would include securing the border NOW. RIGHT NOW.

SouthernGent on September 29, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I’ll bet that Diaz is about to get a cash infusion. I’d like to know where it comes from.

azkenreid on September 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Legalize pot, legalize prostitution, and quit worrying.

Skandia Recluse on September 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Being in charge of correspondence implies she did some corresponding. No. She brought in the mail.

Letters from the SSA are clearly marked on the envelope. She knew she’d lied. She’s already admitted she’d lied to the government, to the Agency, and to Whitman. She sees the letter to Whitman and…????

MayBee on September 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM

*Facepalm*
The War Planner on September 29, 2010 at 6:53 PM

No, War Planner. No facepalm. Just pick up a ballot, mark Republican from ticket top to bottom, tie it to a metaphorical brick, and throw it as hard as you metaphorically can through the Democrats big plate window on Nov. 2.

Do this even if you are not a Californian.

Oh, and did I mention how much I hate Democrats and am sick and tired beyond belief of their game-playing? Yeah. I am.

FlameWarrior on September 29, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Hiring an illegal is not going to keep out a GOP candidate this time.

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Dude….Why not pay hush money and confirm an iron-clad, undeniable appearance of guilt? C’mon, that doesn’t sound like a very bright idea.

Django on September 29, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Why would anyone care if she hired an illegal? This is a bombshell?

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

So what exactly is Allred’s role in this?
What does she want?

guitarguy on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Maybe you bring it home to ask your sister what to do about it, and you never end up doing anything.

MayBee on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Any chance Dem operatives in SSA sent Allred or her lackeys a copy of the letter?

Christien on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Eh, if Whitman was playing the system by employing this woman with knowledge that she was an illegal, then I don’t have much sympathy.

If everyone is going to play the game by saying, “Well yeah, but it’s only one or two illegals working for me” then they are cumulatively making the problem worse.

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Deport the maid.
shawk on September 29, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Gloria All(Soviet)Red too.

FlameWarrior on September 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM

So what exactly is Allred’s role in this?
What does she want?

guitarguy on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

She’s a Democrat. Need anymore reason than that?

Apologetic California on September 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM

MayBee on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Maybe, MayBee

Weight of Glory on September 29, 2010 at 7:02 PM

My lawnmowers are illegals.

leftnomore on September 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You know you’re old when you can remember the days when the only people to mow lawns were legal U.S. non-hispanic high school kids. That’s how my brothers earned money every summer.

TxAnn56 on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

So what exactly is Allred’s role in this?
What does she want?

guitarguy on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Gloria’s a big Brown supporter and an attention whore.

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Does AllRed have a duty to report the illegal to INS? Has she done so?

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

At $23/hr?

Why hire an illegal and pay them legal wages?

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Buck up.

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

>>And was a $20/hour maid really in charge of billionaire Meg Whitman’s correspondence?

Really dude? In charge of her correspondence? Sometimes your attempts at being a contrarian make you look like a fool.

Maxpower on September 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM

California is swarming with illegal aliens. Remember? It can be difficult to find any domestic help workers who DON’T appear to be illegal, i.e., hispanic and Spanish speaking.

And guest what happens if you really press people for proof of legal status? “RA-A-A-CIST!” And you wind up getting sued. You can’t freaking win.

Django on September 29, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Wait. I’m confused. Isn’t it the left that is constantly telling us that it is GOOD illegals are here and that they are working, doing the jobs “Americans won’t do”? If this isn’t a problem, why even bring it up?

Are they illegal and a problem or not?

CHOOSE. Since you’re so big on that term too!

UnderstandingisPower on September 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Why hire an illegal and pay them legal wages?

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I think that is one of the better arguments in favor of Whitman, and why I think, at this point, she’s telling the truth.

Weight of Glory on September 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM

$23 an hour. This maid took a good job away from a legal resident/citizen. She was fired when she got caught as she should have been. What’s the scandal about now?

El_Terrible on September 29, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Screw Democrats.

You slimy bunch of jerk-wads.

You screwed California for decades with your mental disorders.

Now we’re gonna screw you on Nov. 2.

Meg Whitman hires illegal alien. You think some stupid crap allegation like that is going to save you, Dems? You got another thing coming. On Nov. 3 you’re gonna wake up in the metaphorical gutter with a metaphorical meat cleaver in your skulls.

FlameWarrior on September 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I did enjoy Gloria’s antics during the Scott Peterson trial.
She should stay out of politics and focus on befriending scumbag killer’s mistresses.

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

For some reason ! thought those SS miss match notices went to the person, not the employer.

I got one once, I was a teen and transposed my SS number.

IIRC correctly they asked me to verify my SS.

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I was stationed there.

Denverslim on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

She paid an illegal alien $23 per hour? And we’re expected to believe that Whitman knew she was illegal and could turn her in at any time? You don’t pay illegal aliens $23 per hour.

amerpundit on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Half the population of California is probably illegal. Was all this supposed to be a big revelation or something?

Guardian on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Hiring an illegal is not going to keep out a GOP candidate this time.

faraway on September 29, 2010 at 6:59 PM

faraway:Your so right,Liberals are as guilty,but again,
Meg has come clean,and Allred is in spinning,talk
‘n point overdrive!:)

canopfor on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

At $23/hr?
Why hire an illegal and pay them legal wages?
sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

No idea, maybe by the time Whitman discovered the maid was illegal she did a cost/benefit analysis on whether to dismiss her or not.

But don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Whitman is guilty on this, just that if she is then saying things such as “What’s the big deal here” aren’t going to fly, with me at least. I’m sick of the criminals and thugs and scum in our government, all of them, all parties.

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

They probably send it out to both.

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I can see one of the maid’s jobs being to go get the mail and bring it in or even to transfer it from the door to the office. Why is that shocking? What? Is she supposed to hire a lawyer with a signed confidentiality agreement to handle that?

Also,… and I’m just sayin’ here… if she asked for the woman’s papers, isn’t that exactly what they’ve been telling us we’re not supposed to do? If I’m not mistaken, Arizona is being SUED by the federal government because they have the audacity to even consider doing such a thing.

So, you ask the woman for her papers and you’re racist.

You don’t, and you’re sued for not asking for her papers?

What am I missing here?

UnderstandingisPower on September 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I’ve never knowingly hired an illegal alien to clean my house. The times I’ve hired out the housecleaning (e.g. before a big party) I’ve used a maid service. Lacking insight into the hiring practices of any given company, I look for the text “English-speaking” in the Yellow Pages ads as a rough proxy. /I denounce myself…

I will note here that illegal-alien-enablers and their lawyers have continually put the kibosh on efforts to require businesses to use tools like e-Verify to determine a prospective employee’s immigration status.

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM

So, you ask the woman for her papers and you’re racist.

You don’t, and you’re sued for not asking for her papers?

What am I missing here?

UnderstandingisPower on September 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM

This, * 1000!

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM

I was stationed there.
Denverslim on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Me too, sort of. One of my ships was home-ported in the area but we spent most of our time moored at Alameda. I was a regular at Johnny B’ Goods, at the end of the main road leading to the base (can’t remember the name of that road).

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:12 PM

leftnomore on September 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM

You employ illegals? I wouldn’t vote for you.

FloatingRock on September 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

So what exactly is Allred’s role in this?
What does she want?

guitarguy on September 29, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Money and fame. Pulse she’s a hired gun for the DNC.

I have as much respect for her as I do Pelosi and Boxer – which is none.

Rod on September 29, 2010 at 7:13 PM

Yep. It’s Meg or Moonbeam.

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I feel sorry for her. Obviously, she’s worked hard and invested a tenth of her net worth in this race. To have this come up has to be debilitating.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

At $23/hr?

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Hell’s bells! For that kind of money, I’ll put on a frilly French maid outfit and go clean Meg Whitman’s house myself. Ooh la la! Now where’s my feather duster?

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

She could read English?

davidk on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

That’s possible, but in the absence of other proof I will give Whitman the benefit of a doubt.

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

I agree and I don’t think we lose too much given that this is California and the voters likely won’t let her do anything to save the state from the coming Zombie Apocalypse in any case. Still hope she wins though.

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

They probably send it out to both.

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:10 PM

You’re probably right, but my employer never said anything to me.

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Well,this is all WE WEEDED UP!!

canopfor on September 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Just about sums it up.

lorien1973 on September 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I’m hiring!

lorien1973 on September 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I would to, but me in a French maids outfit is probably something people would pay not to see!

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Also, has the woman in question been deported yet? If not, why not? Are you saying that now illegals can come into this country illegally, fake a SSN (also illegal), get a job with said faked SSN (also illegal), work that job, and when they are caught, they can then SUE the employer for untold “damages” because the employer gave them a job and didn’t fully check their legal status?

I’m sorry, folks. This one isn’t even logical if you carry it out past this case. If you do, I think it means that every single person you hire had better have their documents in order to PROVE they are a citizen before you hire them, or you’re just walking into a lawsuit.

UnderstandingisPower on September 29, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

1) I read that as “Hell’s balls”.

2) When can you start?

amerpundit on September 29, 2010 at 7:18 PM

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Yah, I can’t understand why anyone would actively pursue that job if they were serious about solving Cali’s problems. It’s like trying to be President of Greece or France, you just know the human trash will make your life difficult as you make tough decisions.

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:19 PM

She was alone in the house. Why would she have to be in charge of the mail to get the letter? You think she’d use a fake ID and fake SSN, but she wouldn’t touch the mail without permission? Dude.

Ronnie on September 29, 2010 at 7:19 PM

I read it right, she was hired @ $23 an hour in 2000

That was some good money.

Personally, I think that fact that this illegal alien whined $23 an hour is cheap while millions of Americans are unemployed is going to piss more people off than the fact Whitman employed her.

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I did enjoy Gloria’s antics during the Scott Peterson trial.

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Exactly!!! ROFL! Remember when she defended one of Tigers mistresses? All boo hoo’ing that Tiger promised her he’d marry her? LMAO!!!

capejasmine on September 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Bishop on September 29, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Well Arnie to his credit did at least try to deal with some of it before giving up, and going RINO.

sharrukin on September 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I just have one question for Allred or whoever else is trying to defend this illegal,lying maid.

Shouldn’t she be in jail for identity theft, fraud, being here illegally and be on a immediate deportation list.

These a###oles are just unbeleivable, she must have been offered something for outing herself, or she’s just plain stupid.

concernedsenior on September 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Let the Californian who is without sin cast the first stone. In this state, you have to get it straight with a contractor or service-provider beforehand that you don’t want illegals to show up to do maintenance work on your home. If you don’t take a categorical stand, believe me, it’ll be an illegal arriving with the lawnmower, or a team of them being used to pour the concrete for your patio. And if you seriously don’t want to patronize commercial establishments that employ illegals, never buy a menudo family meal or have anything dry-cleaned.

Meg Whitman didn’t create this situation. If anything, Jerry Brown had a lot more to do with it, having embraced the left’s agenda on illegals throughout his political career.

J.E. Dyer on September 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Excellent point. It’s as absurd as Allred saying Whitman should asked the lying employee is she was lying.

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Topsecretk9 on September 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM

For sure! SEIU service worker union members start griping they aren’t making enough in 5, 4, 3, 2, ……… ROFL!!!

capejasmine on September 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Just about sums it up.

lorien1973 on September 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Yeah, and given the recent attitude toward Arizona’s immigration law, shouldn’t Whitman’s hiring an illegal be an asset?

ddrintn on September 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM

capejasmine on September 29, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I forgot that one!

Disturb the Universe on September 29, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Mary in LA on September 29, 2010 at 7:14 PM

I could use a housecleaner… Does that LA stand for Los Angeles or Louisiana? :p

teke184 on September 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM

I think this is total BS.

I want to know WHOM here has yard work done, contracting work, or any work and can claim they don’t hire illegals.

BS.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM

If this actually turns out to be a turning issue, it’s not remotely true.

It’s because CA has decided that the Feds will HAVE to save them.

Screw trying to fix it.

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

So what’s the charge for intercepting someone’s mail anyway? That’s a pretty serious crime, no? Gloria? You sure you want to enter that stolen property into evidence?

Ronnie on September 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Slow news day.

ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz………

Saltysam on September 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I’m glad I saw the Fox All-Star panel dissect this before reading Nervous Nellie’s Allah’s take on the matter.

Marcus on September 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I thought the maid was hired through a service. Could they have received the notice, and the maid as well?

Maxpower on September 29, 2010 at 7:25 PM

Has anyone ever heard of a PEO?

Just a question.

Key West Reader on September 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM

AnninCA on September 29, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Me.

Ronnie on September 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM

My main question is:
Why are the republicans trying so hard to win any state office in CA?

I think I would sit back and when everything collapses, then I would run a full slate ticket.

BruceB on September 29, 2010 at 7:26 PM

The goal here is not so much to accuse Whitman of having hired an illegal, it’s that she fired her, hence the waterworks to day at the press conference. The gringa Meg Whitman hates Latinas!

RedRedRice on September 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM