Castle rules out write-in campaign for Delaware Senate

posted at 11:05 pm on September 29, 2010 by Allahpundit

The bad news: I couldn’t find anything good for the “Quote of the Day.” The good news: Now I don’t need to.

Delaware Republican Rep. Mike Castle has opted against against running as a write-in candidate for Senate, a decision that strengthens Democrats’ chances of holding the seat on Nov. 2.

“While I would have been honored to represent Delaware in the U.S. Senate, I do not believe that seeking office in this manner is in the best interest of all Delawareans,” Castle said in a statement released this evening. “Therefore, it’s time for Jane and me to begin thinking about the next chapter of our lives.”

Castle, notably, did not endorse Christine O’Donnell, the tea party favorite who ousted him in the GOP primary earlier this year, in his statement leaving the race.

I’m straining for some positive spin here but it’s hard to see any. We’ve already run though the numbers of a three-way race. Not only would Castle have improved O’Donnell’s chances of an upset by peeling Dems away from Coons, he would have increased the GOP’s overall chances of taking the seat. Now O’D has to climb that 16-point hill without any help.

I guess the good news for “true conservatives” is that, no matter what happens, at least there’s no way a RINO will win the seat now. Hooray?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Good point.

NoDonkey on September 30, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Not sure where you’re coming from here; pretty sure I wouldn’t understand even if you wrote an essay explaining that comment.

David Duke??? Wow

Keemo on September 30, 2010 at 8:45 AM

You wouldn’t understand the dangers of supporting someone based solely on their voting record (like say that of David Duke in the LA legislature), regardless of their incredible shortcomings in character?

Color me shocked.

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM

There is a difference between forgiving lapses in character, and saying, outright, that character doesn’t matter.

Grownups know the difference.

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I guess you know the difference, then.

I would counter that grownups don’t strike out names in other people’s posts and type in “David Duke” to make a facile point, but YMMV I guess.

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Amen to that Missy… I’ve added this person to my “waste of my time” list.

Keemo on September 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Yes. Maybe now the establishment will get a clue.
But I (cynically) just believe that Castle is wanting to play “I told you so.”

He saw that he possibly could not win in a three-way, and saw that probably O’Donnell would lose in a two-way.

Castle’s a snake. Good riddance.

davidk on September 30, 2010 at 9:20 AM

It’s good to hear that he won’t do a write-in candidacy. Not only is it tacky, but I think it would defeat the purpose here. O’Donnell may yet win, but I consider it doubtful.
One of two things is going to happen in November:
O’Donnell wins
or
O’Donnell will lose by a margin too big to blame on Castle, RINOs, Krauthammer, or Rove.
Sekhmet on September 30, 2010 at 12:55 AM

Except that her true con supporters have already indicated that they are going to blame those people if she loses.

She could lose by 16 points. It won’t matter. Somehow, it’s still the fault of the “RINOs”.

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:26 AM

A glimmer of character, something Murkowski is totally lacking,

tarpon on September 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 9:18 AM

I’m curious about a coupel of things.

First, is it the striking out of the name that you object to? Or is it the fact that I used David Duke as the example. After all, David Duke was a GOP legislator, with what I think we would all agree was a fine conservative (or at very least non-RINO) voting record in the LA legislature. Would you feel the same if I had used Randy Cunningham or Larry Craig as the example?

Second, I’m curious: Do you think that voting record should be the only yardstick? That massive character deficits, like we have seen in David Duke, Randy Cunningham and Larry Craig, don’t matter?

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM

Ideological conservatives have rescued the Republican Party from political disaster. Did anybody think, in January 2009, that the Republicans would contend for power in either House of Congress in two short years?
Haiku Guy on September 30, 2010 at 6:08 AM

Ideological conservatives haven’t rescued the GOP’s electoral chances.
Independents and moderates who have embraced the message of fiscal conservative in difficult economic times have.

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I object to your childish FIFY and Nazi reference as well as your subsequent implication that only “grownups” like yourself can make appropriate value judgments about character.

That being said, I don’t think character is immaterial, no. However, as I said upthread, the Delaware GOP voters made their decision and will have to make another decision in November. Sometimes one has to choose between two not very fabulous candidates. In that event, which happens pretty frequently in politics, choosing based on how you believe the candidate will vote is a reasonable yardstick.

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

And I can’t for the life of me understand why you don’t support some Conservatives in return.
hawkdriver on September 30, 2010 at 6:22 AM

Except that we do. We support Miller, and Rubio, and Toomey, and Angle, and West, and Sean Duffy, and a whole host of other candidates.

The issue here is that you’ve nominated an incredibly flawed candidate, who many of us do not believe is qualified (and would probably serve to embarrass the GOP if elected), and you’ve made supporting her THE litmus test on whether someone is authentically conservative or not.

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

If Castle can’t in good conscience endorse O’Donnell — and I think there are some good reasons to be a bit leery of her — then I appreciate his lack of endorsement. That seems in line with the Tea Party spirit that booted him with the primary, after all: don’t endorse bad candidates just to toe the party line.

That being said, if it’s sour grapes, then this seems petty and counter-productive.

I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but it seems a bit disingenuous in light of the pragmatic defenses we heard for Castle. (To be fair, though, I don’t guess it was Castle himself making these claims.)

BlueCollarAstronaut on September 30, 2010 at 10:10 AM

Ideological conservatives haven’t rescued the GOP’s electoral chances.
Independents and moderates who have embraced the message of fiscal conservative THE TEA PARTY in difficult economic times have.

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

FIFY

fossten on September 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Wrong. She’s not INCREDIBLY flawed. You’re being hyperbolic, and it kills your credibility. She’s had a few issues, but nothing that scare me away.

fossten on September 30, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

You will please quote me where I said “FIFY”, or admit that you misstated the facts.

And the fact is that the GOP nominated someone who was a Nazi who was subsequently elected to the LA legislature. That’s not some false Godwin comparison… Duke really was a Nazi. It just so happened that he was a Nazi who when elected, had what most conservatives would consider an exemplary voting record.

Now, if we are to, as some fools around here hold, consider one’s voting record, and their voting record only, as the yardstick by which we measure our conservative candidates, then that puts one in a position of supporting David Duke over Edwin Edwards for governor of LA. Something that the notoriously RINO RNC and George Bush 41 refused to do.

That is what some conservatives are demanding that we now do. And while I am hesitant to speak for the departed, I think Barry Goldwater and Ronald Reagan would be sickened at such a prospect.

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM

FIFY
fossten on September 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM

What needed fixing? I thought the Tea Party platform was fiscal conservatism, period.

Unless you think it also includes social conservatism. You’re best leaving that back at home. Social conservatism has wisely been put on the back burner by a lot of candidates this cycle. You start hyping it, and watch how many independents peel away from a conservative candidate they would otherwise have endorsed. This is something the DeMint wing doesn’t quite understand.

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Okay, strike through, not FIFY. You struck through another commenter’s comment and put words in his/her mouth to make a childish point. Just because there was once a Nazi in Congress who had a good conservative voting record, doesn’t mean it isn’t reasonable to use a candidate’s voting record as a yardstick to make a voting decision.

It is simply ridiculous to claim that considering how a candidate will vote makes one somehow equivalent to a David Duke supporter. By your logic we should all vote for the most pristine, upstanding candidate in every race regardless of what their actual political positions are.

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Ideological conservatives haven’t have rescued the GOP’s electoral chances.
Independents and moderates who have embraced the Conservative message of fiscal conservative in difficult economic times have.

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM

FIFY. And yet fiscal conservatism IS part of the Conservative ideology.

dominigan on September 30, 2010 at 11:04 AM

I still don’t get this at all. Republicans in Delaware did not choose Castle to be their nominee. “We” didn’t throwaway a seat that was winnable by a Dem-lite. He lost an election.

Taking a look at the big picture…the long view, I don’t get the angst about this race at all. If the GOP does a good job, stays on message and stays away from the kind of polices that Castle would have endorsed had he won, they’ll be very successful. There will be more elections after November…people seem to think it can all get done at once.

It cannot.

Asher on September 30, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Actually, the issue here is that RINOS like you nominated an incredibly flawed, liberal candidate, who many of us do not believe is qualified to vote in such as way as to save our country from the debt spiral that will soon destroy every last remnant of our country. Like RINOs before, and now, they only believe in accumulating power, not serving their constituents.

The GOP has embarrassed itself by not sticking to its own planks, of abandoning the free market (supposedly to save it, or some such BS), and toeing the line with Democrats in spending vast amounts of taxpayer money on un-Constitutional (and thus ILLEGAL) departments and projects.

And please spare me the tripe you just spewed at the end. Every candidate is held up to a litmus test in some way. With Castle, it was with his very clear voting record, and statement of future voting. Castle is NOT a Conservative, and should NOT expect the Conservative vote in the primary.

Get over it and grow up. Its these boo-hoo sessions with RINOs over their crappy candidates that are starting to tick off Conservatives. Remember… you need us, not the other way around. It’s Conservative ideas that are drawing support, not the squishiness of RINOs.

dominigan on September 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM

You are, once again misstating the facts.

The commenter in question didn’t say that a candidate’s voting record should be a yardstick in deciding who to vote for. They, in fact, said that it should be the yardstick.

Let’s go to the videotape, sports fans:

Report Card is all that matters with our politicians.
How did they vote?
The rest of it is just lies and spin

Keemo on September 30, 2010 at 8:21 AM

Character… resume… all just lies and spin.

Which, whether you like to admit it or not, puts one on the side of David Duke over Edwin Edwards. Which, once again, the national GOP and George Bush pere wanted nothing to do with.

Which speaks to me about the direction the conservative movement is taking. And I, for one, don’t like it.

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 11:35 AM

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I don’t speak for the Conservative Movement pal; I’m just a guy who’s commenting on HA. Get a life…

Keemo on September 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

And the good news for the “true RINOs” is that they finally found a losing candidate who didn’t totally dump on the party process even if he didn’t endorse the winner. And they don’t have think ther guy did anything to help the “crazy witchcraft dabbling” GOP candidate win. So what if the Dems win?

katiejane on September 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Ms. O’Donnell is constitutionally qualified to fill the post of Senator and the Republicans of the state voted for her. Why is questioning their decision any different than the Left calling the public stupid for not embracing what’s good for them? When Gov. Palin was picked to be the Vice Presidential candidate in 2008, she was questioned in ways no one even considered for a male candidate, same thing here. I know that conservatives aren’t suppose to notice these things but I doubt any single under-employed male would be getting the same questions.

Cindy Munford on September 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Well he has more class than Lisa Murkowski and Charlie Crist.
Ted Torgerson on September 29, 2010 at 11:10 PM

But not by much.

silvernana on September 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 11:35 AM

But that is not my position. My objection was to you putting words in another person’s mouth and likening them to a Nazi.

In any event, you’ve stated your case quite clearly, so I will now assume in future that you will be voting for any Democrat whose character can be shown to be more upstanding than the Republican’s in the race. Otherwise, your’e no better than a Nazi.

Missy on September 30, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I think Delaware GOP primary voters made a mistake in opting for a candidate with a rather lightweight record, very little vetting, and a history of rather odd decisions. In such a blue state, only a top quality conservative candidate would have been a sensible alternative to a more liberal Republican who had successfully won statewide many times. Without a Marco Rubio or a Pat Toomey waiting in the wings, taking a chance on Ms. O’Donnell in Delaware as opposed to a red/purple state was tactically unwise. However, the GOP primary voters decided they’d rather lose the seat to the Dems than have a liberal Republican in it. They live in that state so they get to make that call.

Mr. Castle made the right decision in not running an independent campaign. Whether it might have helped the GOP candidate to be more competitive or even allowed Mr. Castle the chance to take the seat for us (highly unlikely) is beside the point. We have primaries for a reason. Having losing candidates go off and launch independent bids like Crist and Murkowski is damaging in the long run. We cannot encourage such behavior.

This seat is almost certainly lost to the Dems for a generation. We have to focus on assisting other candidates in more competitive races to make up for losing whatever brake Mr. Castle might have provided on the terrible Obama agenda. Hopefully, Ms. O’Donnell and her supporters in Delaware can make a good effort and cost the Dems some money to get that seat for Mr. Coons.

Jill1066 on September 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

All of you talking crap here about Castle endorsing her should just stuff it. She accused him of having a gay affair. Why the hell would he endorse somebody who did that to him.

You people have really lost your minds. You claimed that you would rather lose the seat than have Castle, so now you got your nut. Why the hell are you people pestering him to endorse her. If he was that important and special, why the hell did all of you accuse him of crap he didn’t do.

O’Donnell is a nut, who is about to crash and burn, and that pleases me to no end. She is not fit for elective office. She is a complete nut, and you people wanted her, so go campaign for her.

Chudi on September 29, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Hey Chudi(?):
Don’t come on here telling people to stuff it and that they have lost their minds because they don’t agree with you. You are in the minority on this issue, and it is fine to disagree without being so disagreeable. Calling people names, using words like “cuz”, and your particular style of writing makes me wonder if you shouldn’t be in your local high school going to class. Maybe you are. I’ve been reading this same crap from you from the time she won the election, and it is getting a little old. She won – you lost! Time to ease up.

silvernana on September 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Correct, hooray. Time for RINOs to live in fear of electoral consequences of their sellout votes.

quikstrike98 on September 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM

Keemo on September 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM

And given what I’ve seen here, it’s likely that is all you will ever be.

At least I hope so, the conservatism’s sake.

JohnGalt23 on September 30, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Flame me if you want, but has there been any active campaigning by Ms. O’Donnell within Delaware itself? Looking at her campaign site, she has no events listed, no meet & greet or “town-hall” meetings with the people who would vote for her, and the last time her opponent saw her was at the September 16 debate. The argument can be made she’s reaching voters through Fox News & conservative radio, but it seems incredibly foolish to not reach out locally to the constituents she wishes to represent (and the ones to decide if she should represent them).

mmnowakjr85 on September 30, 2010 at 3:25 PM

mmnowakjr85 on September 30, 2010 at 3:25 PM

You would be absolutely wrong. O’D is actively campaigning in all three DE counties since her primary win.

Just because you could not find her scheduled events does not mean her campaign is at fault.

Sir Napsalot on September 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM

As for DE GOP and Tom Ross finally threw their support behind O’D, gee, thanks, I guess. After your active sabotage against the conservative candidate leading up to the primary and days afterwards, your credibility is shot.

You, Mr. Ross, is still a goner. I will not support DE GOP with the same leaders in charge.

Sir Napsalot on September 30, 2010 at 4:22 PM

Sir Napsalot on September 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I apologize for using a candidate’s website as a source of information.

mmnowakjr85 on September 30, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Didn’t know much about Castle but have since learned a little, very little. But, I found out that he voted against obamacare,the federal funding of abortion and favored extending the Bush tax cuts. So, maybe that’s not a ‘perfect’ conservative record, but I’ve got to admit that it would have been enough for me to vote for him in the primary over O’Donnell. If we lose the Senate over this, personally, I will have to re-think some of the tea party approaches to politics.

jeanie on September 30, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Vyce on September 30, 2010 at 9:43 AM

I’ve done none of those things. I don’t know what ou’re talking about.

hawkdriver on September 30, 2010 at 8:41 PM