Interview: CT Senate candidate Linda McMahon

posted at 5:40 pm on September 28, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Originally, Linda McMahon was scheduled to appear on my show today, but when I had the opportunity to do a drive-time morning show for The Patriot this morning (as well as next Tuesday), we changed this to a podcast interview instead.  In the recorded interview, Linda discusses her surprising polling success, chalking it up in large part to the dissatisfaction of Connecticut voters with the political establishment and the need for a fresh, private-sector perspective.  It hasn’t hurt that her opponent, Richard Blumenthal, has made one unforced error after another (about which Jim Vicevich has more today).  In the end, it all comes down to the economy and doing the retail campaigning, Linda tells me today:

As if to emphasize the necessity of keeping Blumenthal out of the Senate and reducing, if not eliminating, the Democratic majority, Barack Obama proved Blumenthal wrong in his assertion that cap-and-trade is “dead.” Obama told Rolling Stone, in a segment of the interview noted by Politico, that Obama fully intends on pushing forward with his global-warming agenda in 2011:

In an interview published Tuesday by Rolling Stone magazine, Obama lamented how the economic crisis contributed to this year’s Senate stalemate over a comprehensive bill to cap carbon dioxide emissions and establish renewable power standards.

But for the first time, Obama publicly committed to trying again next year.

“One of my top priorities next year is to have an energy policy that begins to address all facets of our overreliance on fossil fuels,” Obama said. “We may end up having to do it in chunks, as opposed to some sort of comprehensive omnibus legislation. But we’re going to stay on this because it is good for our economy, it’s good for our national security and, ultimately, it’s good for our environment.”

Obama didn’t elaborate on specific pieces he’d like to see move in the next version of energy and climate legislation, but ideas floating around on Capitol Hill include a nationwide standard for renewables and a limit just on greenhouse gas emissions from power plants.

Well, if we want to make the economy even worse, by all means a limit on energy production is the right policy. If, however, we want our economy to recover, we need to have enough energy production to support an expansion at a price low enough to keep growth from getting stunted. Put that on top of the lack of actual, irrefutable scientific data showing a causative relationship between carbon emissions and global warming — which is now getting renamed global climate disruption precisely because the IPCC and other anthropogenic global-warming hysterics can’t show a causative link — and we have American consumers penalizing themselves into economic stagnation over a hypothesis, supported by computer models that have yet to correctly predict weather patterns at all.

In an election between Leftist hobby horses and economic growth, the latter will win in 2010 — even in Connecticut.

Comments

The only way Obama is going to get energy policy in place is via regulation through the EPA. Congress won’t be able to stop him.

Skandia Recluse on September 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Global climate disruption? How in the heck are we “disrupting” the climate!?!?!

Lily on September 28, 2010 at 5:49 PM

She just needs the trainin’, the prayers, and the vitamins, and she will bring it home….

If she wins do you think the Hulkster will make a surprise appearance at the victory bash accompanied by his theme music, “Real American”— that would rule.

alecj on September 28, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Linda knows her stuff and is tough. Blumenthal thought he was a shoe in … arrogant progressive pr*ick.

Go Linda!

darwin on September 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM

This is awesome Ed! I’ll give this a listen after dinner…Funny, just a couple days ago I was thinking how cool it would be if Ed got McMahon on TEMS. Didn’t think it would happen…but here it is. Kudos!

JetBoy on September 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I wanna watch her do a swan dive off the ropes!

upinak on September 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I wanna watch her do a swan dive off the ropes!

upinak on September 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Full Nelson.

portlandon on September 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I wanna watch her do a swan dive off the ropes!

upinak on September 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I’d like to see her use the folding chair and timekeeper’s table on Bloomers.

darwin-t on September 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I can’t wait for her to destroy him in the upcoming debate!

SouthernGent on September 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Congress won’t be able to stop him.

Skandia Recluse on September 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

It can unless EPA can self-fund.

Barnestormer on September 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM

If anyone remembers Leaping Larry Chene from the late 50′s and 60′s, her come from behind victory would be just like his old leapfrog over the referee and take down his opponent in a leg scissor around their necks.

fourdeucer on September 28, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I wanna watch her do a swan dive off the ropes!

upinak on September 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Full Nelson.

portlandon on September 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM

The “chicken wing”…

JetBoy on September 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I can’t wait for her to destroy him in the upcoming debate!

SouthernGent on September 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM

will he pull a sestak?

cmsinaz on September 28, 2010 at 6:14 PM

As far as I can tell, the media hasn’t given this race too much scrutiny, but maybe that’s just me. I thought, when it was clear she was advancing, that she’d be getting the full O’Donnell/Palin treatment with her WWE background.

I’m wondering if that will change now that she looks to be a serious threat, or if Blumenthal’s idiocy is too much for even the libs, and they’ll pretty much sit this one out. I’m leaning towards the former.

stldave on September 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM

McMahon is actually sane unlike the candidate running in DE

TimeTraveler on September 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Stopped in the Republican headquarters in Danbury yesterday and got my Linda and Sam Caligiuri stickers.

I’ve tried to find a recent poll on the 5th District seat. Caligiuri and Murphy were in a statistical dead heat and that was at the beginning of the month. Anyone know how this race is going?

CTSherman on September 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM

McMahon is actually sane unlike the candidate running in DE

TimeTraveler on September 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

Wasn’t making any comparisons between the candidates other than to say that there have to be plenty of WWE clips in the archives that they could drag out to mock Linda. In my mind it was a slam dunk that it would happen, but I don’t think there has been too much of that yet.

stldave on September 28, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I really do like her, she seem like one tough broad. And I mean that as a very high compliment.

I think Blumenthal had no clue what he’s dealing with. She’s clawed her way from nothing to phenomenally wealthy, you don’t make that journey by being anyone’s fool. Nor for that matter did Ann Coulter who disparaged her quite a bit in favor of Rob Simmons, who holds most of the same social stands as McMahon, but is much more liberal on fiscal issues than her. Seems she found religion on Christine O’Donnell. *eyeroll*

lizzie beth on September 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM

“Quick! Write in Mike Castle!” -Jenfidel.

Akzed on September 28, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Another Olympia Snowe

V-rod on September 28, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Hobby horses? Too mild. Marx and Lenin disagree.

Schadenfreude on September 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM