It’s come to this: ND Dem now touting fact that … he voted with George Bush

posted at 4:14 pm on September 27, 2010 by Allahpundit

Their tears of desperation are oh so delicious.

In one his first ads this cycle, Pomeroy highlighted his vote against cap-and-trade…

In his latest ad, Pomeroy goes a step further, highlighting his support for the Bush prescription drug plan which he says Berg would “roll back.”

The ad opens with a bill signing featuring President Bush while a woman’s voice says, “When George Bush proposed a Medicare prescription drug plan, Earl Pomeroy voted yes, putting seniors before party.. Rick Berg would roll back prescription drug coverage.”

Note how insistent the ad is in connecting Pomeroy to Bush. They could have said “Earl voted to create Medicare’s prescription drug plan” and left it at that; instead, not only is Dubya mentioned but we get a honking big photo of him at the signing ceremony. That makes sense strategically in a deep red state like North Dakota, where Pomeroy’s now in the fight of his life after cruising to landslide wins the past two cycles, but it’s risky insofar as Bush’s Medicare expansion is one of the many counts included in the tea party’s indictment of him. After voting for TARP, the stimulus, and ObamaCare, Pomeroy’s big sop to conservatives this year is to remind them that … he also voted to expand government health care under Bush? That’s an interesting approach, but on balance probably a smart one: As a Democrat, he’s not going to win many tea party votes in the first place and whispering the magical incantation of “Medicare” will help among the famously high-turnout demographic of senior citizens. Especially since it’s that same O-Care boondoggle that Pomeroy voted for in March that has so many seniors worried about Medicare being underfunded going forward.

Anyway, I used to think it’d be funny if Bush tried to leverage his unpopularity with the public by endorsing vulnerable Democrats in purple districts, on the assumption that their polling would crater. Now, thanks to Hopenchange, I think it might help.

Comments

“Shoot, I may as well be George Bush.”

Akzed on September 27, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Dude

Cookies Mom on September 27, 2010 at 4:17 PM

I guess he wasnt on the CC line with Pelosi , Reid , Kerry ,Chuck Todd, RAHM,AXELSPIN ,Olberman and Soros on the Email Obama sent out letting every one know it was the ” failed policies of George Bush ”
Yeah he didnt know then it was failed policies and he doesnt know now

ELMO Q on September 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Why doesn’t he go whole hog and promise to switch to the Republican Party if elected?

NoDonkey on September 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

OK, this is getting weird.

Tres Angelas on September 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Did Pomeroy help pay for this billboards of Bush waving, and the comment…Miss Me Yet? LOL

Yo Pomeroy….the Dems are running on the blame Bush platform. Keep up! *SLAP*

capejasmine on September 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM

So somehow smoking a cigarette is comporable to sex offenders.

fourdeucer on September 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Pomeroy is SO screwed. ND voters were already pissed at Dorgan, who isn’t running for re-election, and Gov. John Hoeven (R-ND), is widely liked and going to win that seat by so much that they haven’t bothered to poll up there in months.

There’s not a damn thing he could have done to save himself this cycle, even if he’d voted down ObamaCare and a bunch of other unpopular measures.

teke184 on September 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

So it really is “I blame Bush”.

docflash on September 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Their tears of desperation are oh so delicious.

It’s like watching rats slush-ski in the latrines.

Schadenfreude on September 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Hmmmm…ABC is so shocked they couldn’t even get their url to match their headline!
Vulnerable Dem Rep. Embraces Bush In Latest Ad
BUT…

Brat on September 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

teke184 on September 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

Sweet!

Bruno Strozek on September 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Proof that Democrats are nothing but lying POSs who are always trying to have it both ways.

UltimateBob on September 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Brat on September 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

LMFAO!! HAHHAHAAAAA.

upinak on September 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Heheheh!

My my my. We have come full circle….

ted c on September 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Brat on September 27, 2010 at 4:21 PM

I was just about to note that! Poor ABC.

BKeyser on September 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

Freakin’ hilarious.

November 2 is gonna be fun.

BallisticBob on September 27, 2010 at 4:25 PM

we hate him
we blame him
we loathe him
we voted for him

what a vicious cycle these guys are living in….

ted c on September 27, 2010 at 4:26 PM

If you get a tax cut it is a gift from the government.

CWforFreedom on September 27, 2010 at 4:28 PM

This is sooo funny! ” Don’t hate me because I happen to be a Democrat.” “I can’t help it that my parents registered me a Democrat at birth!” “You mean Bush wasn’t a Democrat? He spent like one.” “Nancy who?” etc,etc…

cartooner on September 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

It’s like watching rats slush-ski in the latrines.

Schadenfreude on September 27, 2010 at 4:20 PM

ohhh stop! my sides, they hurt,,, they hurt!

ted c on September 27, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I think i might have to drink tonight….. my spidey sense is tingling and I think AP has got sumpin special planned for hoots n’ hollers.

ted c on September 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM

So Dems are not only running away from Obama as the midterms approach, but they’re running TOWARD Bush?! Ok, hell has officially frozen over.

Doughboy on September 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM

all that GWB has to do is to hold what he’s got, he’s doing just fine.

ted c on September 27, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I’m gonna DVR MSNBC on election night so I can watch over and over as the libtard heads ‘splode!!!

ladyingray on September 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM

“It’s Bush’s fault…er…credit. I mean, wait…”

Weight of Glory on September 27, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Too bad for him that the ND voters have been pushed into Liam Neeson in Taken mode:

“I believe you…but it’s not going to save you.”

SuperCool on September 27, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I just laughed out loud at work – people are staring.

This is funny!

gophergirl on September 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Listen to these jerkoffs! Evidently we do!

dhunter on September 27, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Pigs, from the left, to the right. Clean out the stalls.

Schadenfreude on September 27, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Oh! I think I just gave myself a hernia!

ronsfi on September 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Pomeroy voted for ObamaCare. End of discussion.

crushliberalism on September 27, 2010 at 4:46 PM

I used to live in North Dakota and was active in Young Republicans in Fargo.

This goes back to “North Dakota Nice”. While ND is mostly Republican, and Pomeroy is a Democrat, they just cant bring themselves (before Obama) to vote against him, just because they think he is a really nice guy and they did not want to “fire” him.

Once in office, he did not really have to give a reason to be voted for, as long he just did not give them a reason to be voted against. However Obama is deeply unpopular in North Dakota, so things have changed

firepilot on September 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM

America vs the Obama-Democrats, there is no other choice. If in doubt, just vote the Democrat out.

tarpon on September 27, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Pomeroy: ‘I’ll vote for Big Government no matter WHICH party wants to expand it! I’m BIPARTISAN!!!’

Yes, I’m sure that’ll fly in ND… riiiiiiggghhttttt…

ajacksonian on September 27, 2010 at 4:53 PM

this tells me the DC elites do not get it. just because we hate Obama doesn’t mean we like bush.

Screw them both. They are the problem not the solution.

unseen on September 27, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Their tears of desperation are oh so delicious. AP, I believe this link does a better job showing Conservative Schadenfreude.

Lance Murdock on September 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Run, run away as fast as you can. It’s Obama the leper.

Anyone have a link to the GOP ad showing democrats panicking and going out the emergency exit of Air Force One?

scrubjay on September 27, 2010 at 5:01 PM

No, seriously, me and Bush were tight. I had to keep it quiet though ’cause, you know, Cheney. He’s the devil when he gets jealous.

Lily on September 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

I will have the great pleasure of voting this guy out in November. I can’t wait to snicker at all of the liberal attorneys at work on Nov. 3rd. Too bad Countrywide Conrad wasn’t up this year.

thevastlane on September 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM

There shouldn’t be any Democrats from North Dakota in the Senate or the House, it is the 4th most conservative state!

WisCon on September 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Their tears of desperation are oh so delicious.

I want to bathe in them.

JeffWeimer on September 27, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Oh, I so want to put this on my Facebook page with the caption “HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” but will refrain to avoid setting my lefty family/friends on absolute fire. Sometimes it’s hard being the bigger person. *sigh* However, I can’t wait for my Nov 3rd status update to read: “Now THAT’S “CHANGE!” I can believe in!”

Tee Hee

Renwaa on September 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Okay, now this I never saw coming…I thought that Bush in the long run would be treated kindly as a good president…but this, I am shocked.
Sound like a good evening for a nice gin & tonic…who will be the first dem candidate to introduce a bill to erect a statue in honor of Reagan?
Who will be the first dem to say “I didn’t march with MLK”
Who will be the first dem to say “Unions have their place”
Who will be the first dem to say “We have to control spending”
Who will be the first dem to say “Control the border”
Who will be the first dem to say……..

right2bright on September 27, 2010 at 6:01 PM

N.Dak trying to totally clean house. Attempt to start recall of the 3rd Dem’cat wheel Conrad (he of Countrywide fame) got derailed by states AG. But Legal appeal of that decision moving foward. Time will tell, but this Red State not even waiting patiently for an election to totally wipe out the Lefts’ delegation.

Now, not sure Hoeven & Berg are the strongest Tea party Conservatives, but its a step in the “right” direction. I cannot beleive they will of Spector or Snowe ilk by any means.

sbark on September 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Wow, Allah passed up the chance to use “unexpected” in a new area. Such restraint…

Never thought I would see the resurrection of George Bush in my lifetime.

karl9000 on September 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM

They still don’t get what the Tea Party is all about, obviously.

SouthernGent on September 27, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Renwaa on September 27, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I have relatives like that myself. So many seem to be simply soothed by the sound of Bammie’s voice, I don’t think it would matter what he said. Why do I find his voice so grating, yet others could be talked into the gas chamber by it?

slickwillie2001 on September 27, 2010 at 6:58 PM

Desperation time I see. who would of thought that W- would be mention in a positive light, by a libturd mind you.

hawkman on September 27, 2010 at 7:47 PM

God, I love it. But I have something that’s almost as funny.

A couple of weeks ago I was doing some volunteer phone-polls at the Bismarck Republican HQ. It’s set up to automatically route calls to ND households where the national GOP thinks we might have a shot, in order to create a more comprehensive ‘support map’ of likely voters to target. With me so far?

Anyway, as I was working my way through the automated list, you can imagine my surprise and amusement when Earl Pomeroy’s name came up on my screen.

Unfortunately the call went straight to his voice mail. But we still had a good laugh over it. Had he actually answered, I think it would have made my year.

Cylor on September 27, 2010 at 10:26 PM

Heh, I used to joke that what Bush should have done in 2008 is to have loads of ads encouraging people to vote. I say joke because it seemed like if Bush said ‘A’ was a good idea Dems would do the exact opposite because they were “smart” and he was “stupid”

Dave_d on September 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I love it, I keep telling people history will look kindly on W. Lincoln was not a popular president either. Not that I am saying Bush was like Lincoln, but history looked in awe at Lincoln.Obama will be looked at with Carter, America’s greatest monster… Malaise Forever!!!

HotAirExpert on September 28, 2010 at 3:19 AM