Video: “The Daily Show” humiliates union for using … non-union picketers

posted at 3:00 pm on September 26, 2010 by Allahpundit

It’s almost a week old but so brutal that we can’t let it pass unposted (and no, I’m not saying that because of this). What’s more painful here, the UFCW rep’s palpable discomfort in admitting that they’re paying people to walk the line for them or the fact that it took “The Daily Show” to bring the hypocrisy to national attention? Professional centrist John Avlon argued yesterday that political media polarization between right and left has created a vacuum in the middle for Stewart and Colbert to fill, but that’s neither exactly true nor the reason why this clip is as gratifying as it is. S&C may be more centrist than MSNBC but they’re reliably (if not exclusively) liberal, of course; the reason they’re popular is because they’re usually more effective at making the left’s points than most lefties are. Hence the astonishment at watching them go after a progressive sacred cow. That’s no great shakes for a true centrist — e.g., Mickey Kaus rails endlessly about union influence over Democrats — but from a liberal outfit it’s surprising.

Incidentally, I know this story about non-union picketers got some play in the blogosphere before this aired, but I can’t remember where it originated. I thought maybe it was with Gateway Pundit or one of Breitbart’s sites, but I can’t remember. If anyone knows, please e-mail and I’ll give credit.

Update: Thanks for the e-mail replies. Looks like Warner Todd Huston was writing about this back in July and then, via Breitbart, CEI did a video piece about it in August.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c
Working Stiffed
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party

Comments

When SAG was on strike last time, they offered a SAG card to anyone who would come down and picket.

Blake on September 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM

This isn’t as bad as union public school teachers sending their kids to private schools.

NoDonkey on September 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why Walmart should be a viable career option.

jhffmn on September 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

It’s almost a week old

Dude, that’s like a year on the internet.

Free Constitution on September 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Were the pseudo-picketers paid minimum wage, or union wages? Did they get health care coverage? Pension benefits?

iurockhead on September 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Saw this a few days ago.

Absolutely brutal.

WisCon on September 26, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Allah,

It is CEI.

Dadvocate on September 26, 2010 at 3:17 PM

Just so y’all know, this has been a running joke in Vegas for years now.

Makes every trip to Wally World just that more of a pleasure.

JohnGalt23 on September 26, 2010 at 3:19 PM

The union could be a little more honest and just say they want the initiation fees, the union dues and credit for Wal-Mart’s success. They really do not care about the working conditions, the wages (except the part they get), or the benefits of the employees.

fourdeucer on September 26, 2010 at 3:23 PM

The total lack of honesty coupled with a consistent hypocrisy defines today’s Left.

Even though the truth has been a casualty for big labor and their media acolytes for decades, the fact that these hired picketers haven’t gotten major media play is a both a disgrace and definitive proof that the MSM isn’t about “news” it’s about propaganda and disinformation.

Ya, Brian Williams wishes he had more freedom, RIIIGHT!

ontherocks on September 26, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Cindy Munfords hubby sent this to me earlier this morning. I was frankly surprised at the way they went after them. The Union Boss was clueless that they were the subject of a hit piece. I suppose when he heard “Daily Show”, he assumed the kid gloves were going to be used.

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why Walmart should be a viable career option.

jhffmn on September 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Why is should be?

Hummm, why shouldn’t?

whbates on September 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Great point, the union thug thought he would get sympathy and compassion for putting people to work, instead he got his hat handed to him.

fourdeucer on September 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Weasels, Tuesday: Daily Show Mocks Unions For Using Non-Union Members to Walk the Picket Line…

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2010 at 3:35 PM

Come out to Arizona and you can see unions hiring illegal aliens to picket for them. They’re doing jobs Americans won’t do!

JavelinaBomb on September 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I figured sooner or later, shows like this would either have to turn on the Left or lose their audience.

Sekhmet on September 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

What’s even more devastating is just how little these union people are challenged, and when they are, they’re at a complete loss for words because they can’t spin (lie) hard facts. Why aren’t they investigated and challenged more by journalists? Where are the investigations?

While attending a university in CA, I came across a union rep from the student tutoring center. Apparently the union found a way to give free tuition to students who work as tutors. I was flabbergasted. When I challenged the union rep on why his union’s thinking is why CA is so screwed up financially, he resorted to talking points to try and shut me down. He also admitted to being a Marxist (with little provocation I might add). What a parasite.

This union thug is just a small indicator of why California is going to continue to be financially devastated for years to come. As long as Democrats keep getting elected to state and local governments, the lies perpetuated by Progressives and Socialists will prevail all the way down the financial spiral into oblivion.

I will be moving out of the state next year to find a teaching job elsewhere. Ironic, since I think most others who either have moved out or are planning to do so are producers of wealth. Most of those who stay or move in are not.

Weebork on September 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

fourdeucer on September 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM

That’s the best part, you can see the guilty party thinking -‘this can’t be happening to us…’

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Pelosi and her husband don’t hire union workers for their vineyards, hotels and restaurants.

Hypocrites of the left…

Impertinence has never been higher.

Schadenfreude on September 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

…Yeah I’m sure there are better career opportunities at those ‘mom and pop’ stores that the liberals love to weep over, except when raising income taxes.

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Writers at The Daily Show lampoon the Left only when the comedy writes itself. Otherwise, it’s like work.

Cicero43 on September 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

JavelinaBomb on September 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

That’s like those “Cash For Gold” businesses they have springing up all over the landscape, where they have some Mexican guy in a gold suit stand outside waving a sign advertising the place.

pilamaye on September 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM

I’ll tell you one thing. If WalMart does ever go union, I’ll stop shopping there and protest until the union breaks up.

Well…I mean it’s hot and all in the summer. I might hire someone to do it for me….

I wonder if the guys in the video will still be available?

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why Walmart should be a viable career option.

jhffmn on September 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

It’s not all checkers and stockers.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I wonder if the guys in the video will still be available?

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I always shop at the place with the lowest prices. My guess is that is usually the non-union shop.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Cicero43 on September 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM

They also lampoon the inevitable insufficiently pure liberalism, like in this case.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2010 at 3:48 PM

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:29 PM

fourdeucer on September 26, 2010 at 3:33 PM

That’s the best part, you can see the guilty party thinking -’this can’t be happening to us…’

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2010 at 3:37 PM

It’s the Daily Show.
If they are talking to you, you are the but of the joke.

Count to 10 on September 26, 2010 at 3:49 PM

(I got mine via The Right Scoop on the 21st, if that’s any help.)

tree hugging sister on September 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

iurockhead on September 26, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Perhaps you should watch the video.

DarkCurrent on September 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM

NoDonkey on September 26, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Or politicians who are against school vouchers, but send their kids to private schools.

Wethal on September 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM

“That’s the one where I nail you”

Yup

Sackett on September 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM

Unions are dividers. Same as community organizers. There whole reason for existence is to draw comparisons, divide and force the opposing side to give them something.

ButterflyDragon on September 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM

Wethal on September 26, 2010 at 3:52 PM

Don’t you dare talk about POTUS like that!

ladyingray on September 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM

Stewart and the people who work for his show are big ol’ liberals. No doubt about it. But sometimes they have their moments when they aren’t complete shills for the Democrat Party.

terryannonline on September 26, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I love this WalMart stuff! Worked with some people that were anti-WalMart. I asked this woman why she hated Walmart and she snapped “They’re anti-union!” I respond, “Why the heck should I care whether they’re anti-union! They’re pro-customer!”

What the heck is it about these people who hate WalMart!? It’s insane! I listened to some trucker call in on Rush a few years back. He’s blasting WalMart for destroying mom and pop stores. Said he’s seen all the devastation inflicted on these small towns by WalMarts! I’m yelling at the freaking radio, “Hey you moron! Have you ever seen any desolate train stations in some of these small towns? Guess who put the railroad industry out of business! The trucking industry!”

And what is so sacred about mom and pop stores! Why is it my responsibility to ensure they stay in business?! What!? It’s my duty to pay more for my groceries, socks and shaving cream to ensure mom and pop stores across the country can keep raking it in?! I must pay more for my hammer so a union worker can eat better food than I do?
My money is just as valuable to me as it is to some mom and pop store or some union worker!
And as for freaking greed and profits! Everybody loves profit! I don’t care if you are making minimum wage or are a union worker! If you’ve got money left over after paying for basic food, rent, water, heat and electric you’ve just made a profit! Maybe you ought to give it back if you hate profits so much you greedy scumbag!

JellyToast on September 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Wait didn’t Jon Stewart say he reads Allahpundit….

Hi Mr. Stewart,

More of this, please.

Thanks :)

terryannonline on September 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM

“That’s the one where I nail you”

Yup

Sackett on September 26, 2010 at 3:53 PM

He even warned him.

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Unions are dividers
ButterflyDragon on September 26, 2010 at 3:56 PM

They sure are, if the UFCW or the AFL-CIO, Teemsters or any other union got hold of Wal-Mart the cashiers, stockers, baggers, cart retrievers and every other job would become a speciffic job classification with lines of demarcation so strict the costs would skyrocket.

fourdeucer on September 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM

I love this WalMart stuff!

Cause everything is made in China!

Oh the Hypocrisy of the Unions. Walmart is a huge employer here and the stuff they sell is cheap and affordable. Hell, we even have a McDonalds in the store. That must make us more evil that others.

Kini on September 26, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Unions are dividers

Unions are entitlement groups.

Kini on September 26, 2010 at 4:09 PM

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 3:44 PM

If the unions ever do take over WalMart, none of us will be able to afford to shop there.

I’m still trying to figure out why Walmart should be a viable career option.

jhffmn on September 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

In a lot of small towns across America, WalMart is THE employer for a steady paycheck.

Kevin71 on September 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM

What was the air date? Comedy Central doesn’t want American ones and zeros crossing the border, so we have to watch it on the Comedy Network up here………

Jim708 on September 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM

What the heck is it about these people who hate WalMart!?

Here’s why
1 William Gates III 50,000 53 Medina Microsoft
2 Warren Buffett 40,000 79 Omaha Berkshire Hathaway
3 Lawrence Ellison 27,000 65 Redwood City Oracle
4 Christy Walton & family 21,500 54 Jackson Wal-Mart
5 Jim C. Walton 19,600 61 Bentonville Wal-Mart
6 Alice Walton 19,300 60 Fort Worth Wal-Mart
7 S. Robson Walton 19,000 65 Bentonville Wal-Mart

4 out 7 richest Americans are Waltons, next up are the Koches, they hate them too.

tessa on September 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Jim708 on September 26, 2010 at 4:13 PM

I think this is the same one.

sharrukin on September 26, 2010 at 4:16 PM

The average, full-time hourly wage for Walmart stores is $11.75 and is usually higher in urban areas. The associates can receive performance-based bonuses. This doesn’t sound like a lot, but the retail industry is a low wage industry in general. The pay and benefits from Walmart are higher than the industry standard.
It is also a large corporation with lots of different job opportunities for people who are willing to work for it. They employe; managers, accountants, lawyers, IT professionals, the list is almost endless. So why does every one pick on Walmart? They’re a great business model to emulate.

Tommy_G on September 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Did anyone see John Stossel’s report on Fight for the Future?

Kini on September 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM

Did anyone see John Stossel’s report on Fight for the Future?

Kini on September 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I did. It was pretty good.

terryannonline on September 26, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I’m not a fan of the Daily Show at all. Can’t stand hard-core lefty John Stewart. However, that segment is Emmy-worthy.

WarEagle01 on September 26, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Tommy_G on September 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM

They also do provide health benefits and pension to their employees.

ladyingray on September 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM

I’ve seen some of Aasif Mandvi’s segments….I think he’s pretty liberal but he seems pretty liberal but more moderate than some of the other correspondents.

terryannonline on September 26, 2010 at 4:36 PM

That was pretty awesome, lol.

Midas on September 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Cavuto or a fill-in (maybe Scoreboard?) reported on this story a while back… Some local office worker took the initiative and confronted the protestors with a camera on his lunch break… I think?

mjbrooks3 on September 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I didn’t watch the vid, but someone mentioned WalMart.

A few years ago, a union hired some non-union people to picket a WalMar to protest WalMart’s low wages.

The union paid the non-union picketers less than WalMart was paying their people.

It’s about power not money.

Now for your viewing pleasure: http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Tommy_G on September 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM

I worked a seasonal gig at WalMart about three years ago. They paid me $9.50. That was good money for the area.

davidk on September 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM

So union dues are used to pay scabs minimum wage for jobs union people don’t want to do?

pearson on September 26, 2010 at 4:39 PM

why Walmart should be a viable career option.

Because wal-mart hires from within for its management positions…

Vera on September 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

davidk on September 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM

If I ran a WalMart, the next time the protesters showed up, I’d set up a table outside to take job applications from the protesters.

pearson on September 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Because wal-mart hires from within for its management positions…

Vera on September 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Not exclusively. A friend from college received his first management trainee position at Wal-Mart after graduation.

ladyingray on September 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Not exclusiv

Vera on September 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM

pearson on September 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

That would be some awesome PR. Walmart could send out a press release formatted as a memo to the union that the company hired the non-union protesters the union was using.

amerpundit on September 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I think this is where Stewart and Stossel have a weird alignment.

On one hand, Stewart points out the blatant hypocrisy of the Unions, and on the other hand, Stossel points out the pure corruption of the Unions.

What does to mean to you and me?

If non-union companies like Walmart organize, prices of goods and services will undoubtedly rise. It will stagnate job growth.

Unions only help Union Bosses, not the workers. The Union bosses will reap the benefits of confiscatory union membership dues, while forcing price increases on goods and services to pay for union salaries.

No one wins in this deal.

Kini on September 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM

David Gregory used the hard-hitting political program (/s) “The Daily Show” to put Mike Pence on the defensive re the GOP’s “Pledge to America”. Do these talking heads have any depth to their interviews? Pence rebutted Gregory with a number of facts and details, yet Gregory was playing an adversarial role throughout. He did not challenge the Dem representative for his generic response at all.

Bob Schieffer tried to put Marco Rubio on the spot with some gotcha questions, too, re Social Security and Arizona’s illegal immigration law.

Both Pence and Rubio were well-prepared and assertive in their reponses in order to set the record straight. Well done!

onlineanalyst on September 26, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Not exclusively, but they have an advancement program.(sorry my phone gliched)

Vera on September 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM

pearson on September 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM

amerpundit on September 26, 2010 at 5:00 PM

Make sure as apart of their employment they sign a non-organizing contract.

Kini on September 26, 2010 at 5:02 PM

tessa on September 26, 2010 at 4:14 PM

The liberals only hate billionaires if they aren’t liberals themselves and give to socialist causes. Uncle George Soros, the Nazi stooge, is a god to the loons. That reminds me, see Warren Buffett advising taxpayers to ‘get over your anger’?

Easy to say when you are a billionaire.

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2010 at 5:03 PM

Re Wal-Mart, I came across this last night as well, -Walmart has been trying to find out who has been funding the protests and lawsuits against their new stores, and surprise, it’s other big box grocery stores! Nice racket there.

Unions and Grocers Against WalMart

slickwillie2001 on September 26, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I’m shocked that the unions would stoop so low–shocked I tell ya! This is like finding out a congress person hired illegals…

lovingmyUSA on September 26, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I {{heart}} WalMart.

For a lib outfit, that was pretty good. It was Stosselesque only funnier.

Mojave Mark on September 26, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Locally the construction unions have hired ILLEGAL ALIENS to picket a recently COMPLETED animal hospital. It’s up, it’s built, it’s finished. But the hospital owners contracted out to the lowest bidder, who did not use UNION labor (go figure). So now there are ILLEGALS out front, protesting….at minimum wage and no benefits.

GarandFan on September 26, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I’m still trying to figure out why Walmart should be a viable career option.

jhffmn on September 26, 2010 at 3:07 PM

Why shouldn’t it be? I know several people who make a pretty fair living at Walmart. Considering that all of them started at the entry level, that’s not bad at all. How many other companies can move you from entry level into a decent management level salary in a couple years?

Jimmie Bise, Jr on September 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM

OT (again!): A freeper posted the transcript of D’Ohermann’s interview with Michael the Moore-on from Friday’s Countdown program, where both are crying in their beer that there were not ticker tape parades over the rollout of ObaMaoCare. They bleat in hyperbole about how the sky will fall when the Republicans regain control in Congress. Moore-on, who claims that there are 50 members in the Progressive caucus, says that hapless Americans will be “in a lumberyard” where Republicans will be affixing them to a cross”.

The transcript is so incoherently filled with babble and half-thoughts that it is painful to read. And this is supposed to be hard-hitting interview analysis? Buffalo Bob did better with Clarabelle the Clown.

onlineanalyst on September 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

So basically the Union wants Walmart to pay for the Unions, Non-Union protesters, that are protesting Walmart cuz it’s not Union, like the Non-Union protesters the Union hired for minimum wage with no benefits?

Welcome to Obama world!

DSchoen on September 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM

My favorite part is around the 2:45 mark where the guy is essentially trying to figure out how to say “yes” without saying “yes”. Damn, words can really back a person into a corner.

CarolynM on September 26, 2010 at 6:57 PM

Jimmie Bise, Jr on September 26, 2010 at 6:20 PM

I’m sure that’s the case and nothing wrong with that. I’m just commenting on the criticism towards Walmart for paying some full time employees little more than minimum wage.

jhffmn on September 26, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Every time the picketers show up, since they aren’t union, Walmart ought to go out and hire them.

“Hello”
“ya”
“they did it again”
“they hired the picketers again?”
“Crap, call the temp agency and have them send some more people.”
“I did, but they say the don’t have anyone else to send”
“Shit, I guess we’ll have to send our own people.’
” Hell we can’t do that, It would cost too much.”

BruceB on September 26, 2010 at 7:41 PM

I think most others who either have moved out [of California] or are planning to do so are producers of wealth. Most of those who stay or move in are not.

Weebork on September 26, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Well, I’ll stay as long as I have a job, and do whatever I can to help pry the liberals’ death grip off my state. I was born here. I love California even when it breaks my heart, and I think it’s worth fighting for.

Mary in LA on September 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

So, what’s the Christine O’Donnell angle here? Am I missing something?

Akzed on September 26, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Respectfully,
I mean this 100% honestly, is this for real or just a fake comedy routine?
Thanks,
Crash

crash72 on September 26, 2010 at 9:03 PM

Oh, heck-yeah!

LMAO…

Jaibones on September 26, 2010 at 10:18 PM

onlineanalyst on September 26, 2010 at 6:24 PM

O…M…G…

Did you really, I mean really just compare a conversation between Keith Olbermann and Michael Moore to Buffalo Bob and Clarabelle???

My childhood has been forever besmirched, defiled and sooted. Apologizes are expected!

Waiting!

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Union chants are awesome. What do we want “free choice!” “when do we want it?” NOW!

Ummm, how does forcing Walmart to be a union shop bring about free choice?

I love the way the guy brightens up when he gets to agree that it’s Walmart’s fault.

hawksruleva on September 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Stewart, Colbert! What are you guys doing? You’re supposed to be liberal mouthpieces! Dear, dear, keep this up, and you won’t get a place in Progressive Heaven.

R. Waher on September 27, 2010 at 12:31 AM

This wasn’t an attack. This was taking your kid out behind the woodshed because he had been bad. You might beat their butt but you still love them. This is exactly what we have to do. We have to actively police the right in this same manner.
If this election goes as we all hope it does, then blogs like HA need to turn at least half their attention to this type of behavior, and follow Steward’s example.

DFCtomm on September 27, 2010 at 3:00 AM

Has Comedy Central been watching Newsbusters? They had a real story about this same thing about a month ago.

flytier on September 27, 2010 at 9:01 AM

While a supposed spoof, this clip provides all of the facts that unions are guilty of.

Union membership is tanking and ability to provide a safe haven for employees fairly. are slipping from their claws.

Wal-Mart employees are not slaves, they seek hiring on their own, and know the terms before signing up, so how can the union claim the employees want and need unionization.

MSGTAS on September 27, 2010 at 9:59 AM

Poor union mouth-breather looked like he pooped himself!

Tim_CA on September 27, 2010 at 11:51 AM

If The Daily Show were on opposite Hannity — well, then I’d have something to watch at 9:00.

Tres Angelas on September 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM

I’m betting that all those paid picketers were fired the next day.

unclesmrgol on September 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM