Video: Paul Ryan and Democrat try, fail to have adult discussion about entitlement reform

posted at 2:30 pm on September 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Paul Ryan, Democrat succeed wildly at mugging for the camera while the other speaks.” Three thoughts. One: The dynamic here simply couldn’t be cuter. When Fox signs me as a contributor, KP and I will do all our joint segments this way. Two: Wasserman-Schultz is, of course, misrepresenting his position on Social Security. He doesn’t want to completely privatize it, he wants to give people under age 55 the option of investing part of their money in private accounts. Why, in this context, we might even call him … “pro-choice.” Three: She’s right, alas, about the reason his roadmap proposals didn’t make it into the GOP’s Pledge. Tea partiers are grumpy that it didn’t include more Big Think items like a balanced budget amendment, but that’s because the GOP leadership correctly believes that centrists — and, especially, seniors — aren’t ready for an “adult conversation” on entitlements right before a crucial midterm. The only solution, my friends? Have Chris Christie go door to door across America, grabbing people by the lapels and jabbing a finger in their faces while informing that they’re going to help him get rid of these deficits and they’re going to do it now.

Comments

I lol’d.

p0s3r on September 25, 2010 at 2:34 PM

Will they pixelize your face and alter your voice to hide your identity?

portlandon on September 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

What I wanted to say about her and her annoying speech habits would not make my mother proud, so I will refrain and say Ryan is awesome.

txmomof6 on September 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM

KP?

Keith Partridge?

BobMbx on September 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

It looks like they are arguing about whether they should be spending the afternoon watching football or visiting the in-laws.

pedestrian on September 25, 2010 at 2:38 PM

Ugh. I can’t take Wasserman-Schultz for more than 20 second segments. I have to pause and scream & then resume watching.

She annoys me almost as much as Gibbs.

portlandon on September 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

They looked like such a nice couple. What went wrong?

One thing is for sure. The government is broken.

paul1149 on September 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM

This Schultz broad and Grayson are two New York City liberals that move to Florida and manage to get elected down there. If I were a native Floridian I’d hate it. I gather all the liberal snowbirds elect this liberal scum.

Jeff on September 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM

That is what most Dems do about any GOPer’s Soc.Security plans.

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Blech. Can’t stand that woman.

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

Sorry, Mr. AP, I suspect you would be way too mesmerized by side glances at Katy Perry’s cleavage to be effective in any debate. :)

Gang-of-One on September 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Can’t say that I can’t stand her. I’d put her in the category of Susan Estrich, a liberal with an annoying voice who I can listen to for hours on end because she argues her point in a rational manner and isn’t a complete loon. I saw Wasserman-Shultz on the Ed Shultz little watched MSNBC show being interviewed so rudely and aggressively (over no “public option”) that she became visibly upset and ended the interview saying she would never appear on that show again. All he did was scream at her and think he was winning because he was louder and cut her off numerous times and at the end when she was winning her debate with him, decided not to let her talk at all.

Marcus on September 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Not that the GOP needs to bring it up but what happened to the oil spill story in the campaigns?

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Heh. Can’t wait to see the paper bag and oven mitts debating policy on FNC.

Free Constitution on September 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Marcus on September 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

That is his M.O.

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I can’t watch it. Wasserman-Schultz is lucky she has the brains to dress herself in the morning, I can’t imagine what she’d have to say that was worthwhile.

ButterflyDragon on September 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM

Does she ever say anything that is true?

msmveritas on September 25, 2010 at 2:56 PM

When the Boogeyman goes to bed at night, he looks under the bed and in the closet to make sure Chris Christie isn’t there!

pilamaye on September 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Terrible-

My response http://www.cafepress.com/+change_it_back,408325939

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

The Dems pretend that the GOP wants to end SS today and they play the politics of fear. Of course, big media does not call them on it.

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 2:59 PM

My response http://www.cafepress.com/+change_it_back,408325939

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Nice. Ordering theirs though costs them money to make and ship. Money that won’t be spent wisely. Drain their coffers.

El_Terrible on September 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Drain their coffers.

El_Terrible on September 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Probably will get a lot of junk mail and would embarrass me in front of the mailman.

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I can’t think of a video that better illustrates why the government of the U.S. is doomed. Gridlock will stop any attempts to fix the problem until it is too late, and we are rapidly approaching too late.

DFCtomm on September 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

El_Terrible on September 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Problem is those clowns would have all my contact information. I don’t think I want to get their robocalls and email spam for the next decade.

ButterflyDragon on September 25, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I don’t even want to watch this shite. What the H. is Ryan thinking????
I support the Limbaugh Doctrine. Victory First. Then negotiations – maybe.

Randy

williars on September 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

Wrong she didn’t misrepresent his position. She lied about his position.

Kjeil on September 25, 2010 at 3:10 PM

El_Terrible on September 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Good find. Order a couple dozen and bust out the scizzors. Have fun making your own bumper stickers. Hmmmmm. What can you spell with the letters d-e-m-o-c-r-a-t ?

bitsy on September 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM

d-e-m-o-c-r-a-t ?

bitsy on September 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Pat Can I have an “N”?

Demonrat

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Dude. You and I both know that instead of shaking your head no at everything she said you would be looking at her with wistful eyes. Lol.

Guardian on September 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Yea there is anger in the Country people have had a butt full of these socialist… But things are looking up Michelle Obama Finally Met With A First Lady Uglier Than Her!

Nearly Nobody on September 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I’m in. Let’s do this!

jhffmn on September 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Will they pixelize your face and alter your voice to hide your identity?

portlandon on September 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

1. Would they have to?

2. Would you know if they did?

karl9000 on September 25, 2010 at 3:20 PM

What, now Allaphundit doesn’t like Chris Christie either? Allah, is there ANY conservative you DO like?

Warner Todd Huston on September 25, 2010 at 3:22 PM

When Fox signs me as a contributor, KP and I will do all our joint segments this way, with me backlit behind a scfeen, of course.

Akzed on September 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

She is a thoroughly dishonest, disingenuous village idiot, and makes me hate Florida, even more. Were it not for Lieutenant Colonel West, I’d see absolutely nothing redeeming about that state. She lied, straight up, in that interview, claiming that Ryan was out to pull old people off that worthless, socialist program. He specifically, explicitly stated that he was looking only to change the program for people under 55, and her response to that was to tell a bald-faced lie that that worthless Blitzer refused to call her out on.

Virus-X on September 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I hate it when pols say ‘the American people want _____’ and then say something so totally what we don’t want. Wasserman-Schultz only knows what she wants to allow the people to have….grrrr And they don’t have the same social security that congress has….if she thinks we do then no wonder she is balking at changing it..

tinkerthinker on September 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

d-e-m-o-c-r-a-t ?

bitsy on September 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Pat Can I have an “N”?

Demonrat

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

There is the tag line “change that matters” so yeah, use the N from there. You’ve got the hang of it!

bitsy on September 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Paul Ryan: Please let us risk our money with Wall Street rather than placing our money into an account that gets RAIDED for congressional pet projects! SS is broke. It is either we risk it or we get it taken and given an IOU.

At least give us a chance!

Chubbs65 on September 25, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Does this Debbie person have gummy bears in her mouf?

bitsy on September 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Blech. Can’t stand that woman.

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

DWS is definitely a partisan liberal, but she is very smart and high class. She refused to campaign against Miami Republicans in 08 because she got along with them.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on September 25, 2010 at 3:25 PM

All Paul Ryan is doing, is perpetuating the stereotype that the republicans are just the tax collectors for the welfare state.

All “entitlement reform” is, is kicking the can of bankruptcy down the road. The GOP needs to talk about ending entitlement programs altogether.

Rebar on September 25, 2010 at 3:29 PM

No one has ever had an adult conversation with puerile Wasserman-Schultz. This is her constant annoying MO.

Why would Mr. Ryan ‘devirginize’ her now?

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Blech. Can’t stand that woman.

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 2:47 PM

2nd that…have to change the channel when she comes on the screen

cmsinaz on September 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM

She is such a dope! Earlier today I was browsing Bartlett’s Quotations, and I saw her picture under the Mark Twain line: “Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”

MassVictim on September 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Best part in the video – the hypocritical biatch want to drink the wine and have the peasant overdose on water.

She is worse than the worst of hemorrhoids.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

How is her opponent doing? Everytime this ditz opens her lying mouth I want to open my wallet to the Republican running against her.

Eren on September 25, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Admit it, she is the female Weiner. Both annoying idiots.

PhilipJames on September 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

He is debating a poodle.

carbon_footprint on September 25, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I happened to catch this live-I love Ryan’s body language and facial expressions. He had to work so hard to contain himself while listening to Wasserman-Shultz’s ridiculous arguments, including taking deep breaths. I personally would not have been able to muster such professional and adult restraint!

djn on September 25, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Debbie Whawwwsahmen Showats.

Her sister was just indicted on federal charges. The whole family has got to go.

Key West Reader on September 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

She’s been working hard at foolishness lately but last night on Hannity she outdid herself (topic the drunk GM workers). She was about as insane as the most of all lefties could be. The video would make a great HA thread.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Ryan is Reagan’s hair heir.

leftnomore on September 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Gang-of-One on September 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM

He meant Kathleen Parker :)

——-
Marcus, Susan Estrich has manners.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Please tell me her opponents is polling well.

ctmom on September 25, 2010 at 4:04 PM

d-e-m-o-c-r-a-t ?

bitsy on September 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Pat Can I have an “N”?

Demonrat

CWforFreedom on September 25, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Just turn the C sideways, so the ends of the C curve point down. It’ll look close enough to a lower-case n, unless they’re using some goofy non-standard typeface.

Mary in LA on September 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I thought you didn’t want to be a TV pundit, Allah.

terryannonline on September 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Marcus on September 25, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Then there was this exchange with Dylan Ratigan. She just can’t catch a break, can she? I have to admit, her “You could be your own guest” line was priceless.

In another, more sane world, I might call her a demagogue, but somehow, the left finds people that are so batsh*t crazy that even she looks wise, even-tempered, and centrist by comparison. Of course she isn’t; in that interview she was supporting Obamacare – but this was at a time when the left was complaining that Obamacare wasn’t socialist enough.

RINO in Name Only on September 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM

If I were Ryan I would insist on NOT being in the same place to do the interview. You can’t turn down the dim whit in this case. When you do a split screen at least there’s a moron control that you can attenuate.

Mojave Mark on September 25, 2010 at 4:45 PM

DFCtomm on September 25, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Disagree. If one party wants to destroy the nation and one party wants to save it, I am thankful for gridlock.
What is one side suppose to do when the other side attempts to implement bad laws? Get along for the sake of avoiding gridlock? No, the answer isn’t to stop fighting, the answer is to win more seats and steam roll over the other party!
I’m glad Paul Ryan stood up to this Democrat! We need more Paul Ryans! He’s not engaging in “gridlock!” He’s defending principles!

JellyToast on September 25, 2010 at 5:00 PM

RINO in Name Only on September 25, 2010 at 4:38 PM

What, Ratigan is crazy? He at least is not the pretty doll you pull the string and out comes a prepared answer.

AshleyTKing on September 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Doesn’t Wasserman-Schultz have an exclusive contract with the Cartoon Network?

NoDonkey on September 25, 2010 at 5:08 PM

This is the most despicable Communist member of the People’s Republic of Broward County, Fl. That’s the bunch that kept bringing in Acorn ballots and tried to steal the election from George Bush! She represents the N.Y. attitudes and literally seems to mirror another Communist ,Rep. Weiner of N.Y.(They even look alike) The whole bunch should be thrown out in November and free the true Floridians from their oppressive taxation and regulation! Florida is the most southern state in the U.S. and filled with genteel southern people. It is a disgrace that this gal speaks for the great Americans in
Fl!! Remember in November!

Marco on September 25, 2010 at 5:34 PM

When Debbie meets Christie, that’s one video I would pay to watch.

Kissmygrits on September 25, 2010 at 6:17 PM

You know why 55 don’t sell? ’cause you start paying in at 16 and that’s almost 40 years getting screwed with only about 10 years of alternative investment, even 15 years isn’t enough.

Maybe the under 40′s don’t understand that. Give them at least 20-25 years of alternative investment (private accounts) and it will sell better. Fixing SS and Medicare isn’t just about solvency, it’s also about being fair to the long time investors.

Texas Gal on September 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

re: DWS, what everyone else said. I would also shave her head.

Mr_Magoo on September 25, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Why does cable news think those segments add to anything?

Mr_Magoo on September 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Wasserman-Schultz’s close family should give for her birthday a nice large white box with a straight jacket in it and a nicely appointed rubber room to go with it.

She defines the bobble, in bobble headed loon.

Speakup on September 25, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Wasserman-Schultz is either stupid or dishonest. I wish Ryan had asked her which one was her affliction. I sure would have. But I guess that’s why I couldn’t get elected dogcatcher and Ryan is one everyone’s shortlist to be a vice-presidential candidate.

DarkKnight3565 on September 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Not gonna watch……Debbie is an imbecile…she sounds like she’s go a mouth full of oatmeal and I think ‘she’ may have a penis.

BigWyo on September 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I cannot stand Wasserwoman. Let me out of Soc Sec, really. If I could get out of it now, I would forgive the money that I have put in to Soc Sec and consider it charity.

Every time I look at my paycheck, I see that money that could go to a Roth IRA or an after tax investment. Instead, I will never see it. Makes me sick.

Soc Sec is nothing but a Ponze scheme. Our hard earned money is simply being stolen and Wasserwoman is a crook and aa liar. I can’t stand her.

gatorfanatic on September 25, 2010 at 7:17 PM

I do think their was some sexual tension.

tomas on September 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM

Moonbat Wasserman-Schultz is one of the most stupid people on the planet. Every time she opens her mouth, she confirms it. That dimwit is straight out of Carl Hiaasen novel.

Philly on September 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM

She is the epitome of the belief that “If you say a lie enough it will become the “truth”. Scary thing is that they really believe we’re that dumb…

Ltlgeneral64 on September 25, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Moonbat Wasserman-Schultz is one of the most stupid people on the planet. Every time she opens her mouth, she confirms it. Philly on September 25, 2010 at 8:17 PM

I can almost see Pelosi’s hand up her butt making this sock-puppet talk.

Mr_Magoo on September 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Social Security…Medicare…Obamacare…Income Taxes…all = TAXES. They could make up names for 100 years and it all still boils down to one word…Paint shit ANY color and it still stinks…

Ltlgeneral64 on September 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM

I can almost see Pelosi’s hand up her butt making this sock-puppet talk.

Mr_Magoo on September 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Nasty image…but VERY funny…

Ltlgeneral64 on September 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM

they are in love…

equanimous on September 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM

Virus-X on September 25, 2010 at 3:23 PM

She has a point, but she is afraid to say it because she is pandering to a certain block of voters. What neither of them said is that SS is a ponzi scheme that is teetering towards the collapse phase that all ponzi schemes eventually go through until another generation learns its lesson. The Republican plan is to open a back door to let young voters avoid getting caught in the whirlpool. The Democrat plan is to ram ahead with blinders on and blame it all on Republicans later, calling us all mean haters then, now, and forever.

pedestrian on September 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM

This piece starts out with Blitzer with a poll showing 61% think the COUNTRY IS HEADING IN WRONG DIRECTION.

Immediately followed by the Shultz “accusing” republicans wanting to stop their forward momentum.

What was that poll number again about wrong direction? Oh yea. 61%. And she wants to continue in that wrong direction?

Call me foolish, but if people think we are heading in the wrong direction, then maybe you WANT to STOP heading in that DIRECTION. Ya think?

But that would be using logic, rational thought and deductive reasoning.

kurtzz3 on September 25, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Wasserman-Whatever would have to be flatlined to miss how HOT Paul Ryan is. Of course there’s chemistry. He seems unaffected by her, but her estrogen level is through the roof just standing next to him, obviously.

Grace_is_sufficient on September 25, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I visited Wasserman-Shultz’s congressional office back in March during the protests in the final weekend before the health bill passed. I must say her staff treated us like we were insane for not wanting Obamacare to pass. It was as if they thought we were from Mars or something. It seemed to be all they could do to restrain themselves from accusing us from running a genocide program. We were evil incarnate to them.

ksm on September 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Say, with this being on CNN, maybe Parker and Client #9 should be nervous that they might get replaced with these two. Do I sense some chemistry? Naw, Ryan represents too well for CNN to risk it.

sgtstogie on September 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM

Ryan should say something like, “If you think the housing bubble burst was a problem then just wait until this social security bubble breaks open. We didn’t avoid the problem of the housing bubble, but we can fix the problem with social security right now. But Democrats would rather stick their head in the sand just like they did with Fannie and Freddie.”

blink on September 25, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Very well said!

ConScribe on September 25, 2010 at 10:26 PM

BigWyo on September 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

That wasn’t very nice. She may be an imbecile, but I was about to suggest that I’d hit it anyway. Now I sort of grossed out and self-conscious.

Jaibones on September 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM

Show it live on CSPAN and you’ll have the highest rated show in history.

SuperCool on September 26, 2010 at 12:01 AM

If Ryan and the Republicans think they’re going to get votes this way, they are tragically mistaken. When Bush 43 tried to do this, he destroyed any enthusiasm among the electorate. Folks yawned and turned away.
Certainly, social security reform will be necessary, but don’t talk about it. Do the things necessary to get elected to a majority 1st and then you’ll be in a position to do something about it. DD

Darvin Dowdy on September 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

…social security reform will be necessary, but don’t talk about it. …Darvin Dowdy on September 26, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Yeah act like the Democrats!
Shove it down the peoples throats behind closed doors!

That sta’rat’egy should get the GOP through one election cycle, before voters throw the new crop of GOP bums out!

Tell it like it is! Stop pussy footin around the tulips… Real Americans have no desire to become Greece!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on September 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM

These poor dems have a one note samba. If you vote republican social security is doomed. They’ll take your health care away, seniors will be dieing in the streets. However, leave it to the dems and they’ll watch your money for you. Social security money is spent as soon as it hits DC. Berney Madof was put in prison for doing the same thing the government does with social security.

Wills on September 26, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I kept waiting for them to start kissing and fall to the floor.

boomer on September 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Oh yes.

Dash on September 26, 2010 at 11:53 AM

She annoys me almost as much as Gibbs.

portlandon on September 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM

+ 1000

BrideOfRove on September 26, 2010 at 1:05 PM

BigWyo on September 25, 2010 at 7:10 PM

She’s had breast cancer and twins and she uses those badges like a cudgel to shut down opponents and gain sympathy. I almost want to move to her district so I can vote against her … I hate her that much.

BrideOfRove on September 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Ugh! She’s so annoying!!!

mizflame98 on September 26, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Gang-of-One on September 25, 2010 at 2:52 PM

We could also say Katy Perry would be way too seduced by the heavage of Mr. AP :-)

antisocial on September 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM

Sorry, which KP? Doesn’t Kathleen Parker already have a co-star? Do you really think you can compete with Client #9 in attention-whoring?

gekkobear on September 27, 2010 at 12:33 PM