Fun: Liberal Democratic hero suddenly a man with no known political affiliation

posted at 5:00 pm on September 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

Worth a schadenfreudean giggle on a very slow Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, Feingold’s approach here is the smart way to go this year: Not once in either ad do the cursed names of his party or the president appear, although the word “independent” is mentioned and in the first spot he vows to put people ahead of “any party or corporate interest.” Even so, this is a vivid illustration of just how epically the alleged Great Liberal Realignment of 2008 has failed. Obama destroyed McCain in Wisconsin, winning by almost 14 points, and yet this is what a three-term Democratic incumbent is reduced to less than two years later — chipping away at an eight-point deficit by reminding people that he fights for veterans and lives in the same house he’s always lived in and, well, that he’s a pretty darned pleasant guy. Good work, Barry. I’m curious, though: For the past six months, the left has assured us that the real reason for the Democrats’ horrible polling is because they’re not quite liberal enough, which if true should present a golden opportunity for Feingold. He’s a true-blue lefty, right? The lone senator to vote against the Patriot Act, an early proponent in his career of single-payer health care, a steadfast enemy of capital punishment, etc. Why not run on all that, since supposedly it’s so popular ‘n stuff? Be the out-and-proud progressive you are, Russ!

One other thing. The scene of him eating alone is cute and shrewd as a way of distancing himself from the Democratic cancer, but is it really true that he’s lost friends for opposing automatic pay raises for Congress? That seems to me like one of the cheapest and easiest gestures on ethics a politican could make. And the numbers bear me out: Apparently, the Senate passed Feingold’s bill unanimously without a roll call vote and then the House rubber-stamped it, 402-15. Who’s not sitting with Russ in the cafeteria because he dared to propose such a populist no-brainer?

Comments

Liar.

SlaveDog on September 25, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Be the out-and-proud progressive you are, Russ!

…on a day when Drudge has a line on “Democrats will run on their record now”…heh!

Feingold is a liar. They always vote for their own raises and exemptions from the laws they pass.

Why is this not in the new pledge? – no congress shall pass laws for the peasants and exclude itself, or similar.

See Obamacare and etc. liberal fools/sheep.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Dem doing what they do best: shielding the truth, hiding their agendas, and stuffing their true intent deep within the bowels of unwieldy legislation.

So-cons should take a lesson.

rickyricardo on September 25, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Hopefully the people of Wisconsin will stay on track and dump this scum from office.

ButterflyDragon on September 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Looks like the Dems are going back into progressive-stealth-mode.

SlaveDog on September 25, 2010 at 5:15 PM

This method may be a sure fire way for Barack Obama to win a second term. Run against himself.

Luka on September 25, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Woah. AP putting in a full day of work on a Saturday.

John the Libertarian on September 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM

See Obamacare and etc. liberal fools/sheep.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Nah, most of them don’t get their primary income from congress anyway – most of the money comes in through graft, occasionally through explicit quid-pro-quos, but more often through implicit support – congressman supports legislation for interest group, interest group (or more often, someone who knows someone in interest group) hires congressman’s wife/kid/sibling for overpaid job.

No one ever has to violate any ethics laws in the second case – no one has to say anything, since both the interest group and the congressman are aware via powers of observation that if one stops supporting the other, then the gravy train stops for both of them.

The ones who actually break the law aren’t doing it because they are more unethical than the rest, they’re doing it because they are either amateurs, or in the case of some more senior ones (e.g. Rangel), they’ve gotten complacent and sloppy.

RINO in Name Only on September 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I see a lot of lonely lunches in Feingold’s future….at home.

NeoKong on September 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM

opposing automatic pay raises for Congress…Apparently, the Senate passed Feingold’s bill unanimously

The reason no one objected to the Congress forgoing a COLA next year was because they probably weren’t going to get one anyway. COLA’s for all federal employees require that inflation be over some percentage – think it’s 3%.

katiejane on September 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM

One thing about that automatic pay raise that I always loved. Both dems/repubs are dirty on this. In the past one house would approve it, the other vote it down. Then it would go to conference committee, not be brought up and “shazam!” it magically appeared on these ahole’s. paychecks. They could then tell the ignorant voters—”wasn’t none of my doing.”

arnold ziffel on September 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM

There is an enormous amount of stuff that can go wrong for the GOP between now & Election Day, and I’m not just thinking about the inevitable self-inflicted wounds that will be opened once October arrives.

Eeyorepundit isn’t the only one out here who knows that the GOP can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with breathtaking easy.

The Fat Lady hasn’t even started to clear her throat yet; it’s not to early for the GOP to double-down on stupid.

Just sayin’…

Bruno Strozek on September 25, 2010 at 5:36 PM

The lone senator to vote against the Patriot Act

That’s the one worth-while thing this guy’s done in his whole miserable political career.

Inkblots on September 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Comedy Gold

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Woah. AP putting in a full day of work on a Saturday.

John the Libertarian on September 25, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Amazing isn’t it!..:)

PS..What about the Boise State and Oregon State?..Should be interesting?..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Surely you’re joking, Mr. Feingold.

Emperor Norton on September 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM

If the folks here in Wisconsin can’t use the prevailing winds to remove Feingold I’m afraid we’re in for another 18 years of “maverick” voting coupled with big losses in manufacturing and other good paying jobs. Vote Ron Johnson.

psychocyber on September 25, 2010 at 5:44 PM

PS..What about the Boise State and Oregon State?..Should be interesting?..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Such great football today. UCLA upsetting Texas. Mindblowing. And I’m nail-biting as I watch Arkansas upset Alabama.

John the Libertarian on September 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM

John the Libertarian on September 25, 2010 at 5:51 PM

Me too. And it took UT 2 OTs to take out UAB. UAB!!

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Eeyorepundit?

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Me too. And it took UT 2 OTs to take out UAB. UAB!!

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I love college football. Every week is a playoffs.

John the Libertarian on September 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Too bad I just moved out of Wisconsin. Won’t get the opportunity to vote Russ out.

Nethicus on September 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM

Eeyorepundit?

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

John the Libertarian on September 25, 2010 at 5:55 PM

You are right..If the Bruins and the Hogs can hold up it it will get interesting..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Me too. And it took UT 2 OTs to take out UAB. UAB!!

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 5:53 PM

It could be a long year for the Vols..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM

It could be a long year for the Vols..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:04 PM

I don’t think they can even beat Vandy this year :(

ladyingray on September 25, 2010 at 6:09 PM

‘If I don’t know you by now’…

GoGators!

Kissmygrits on September 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM

LOL!..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM

That’s what I said. It never ceases to amaze me that the readers seem to attribute these quotes to AP. This is his way of stirring up $hit. It’s like people reacting to trolls, and I guess I have little room to speak on that.
Calling cur6…

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Damn straight! Go Gators!

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

See Obamacare and etc. liberal fools/sheep.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 5:07 PM

It was in the Contract With America. That worked out so nicely, didn’t it?

gryphon202 on September 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

I agree my friend that Allah is an expert at stirring the pot and getting good results for him..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

RINO in Name Only on September 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM

When have they turned down raises? Link, please.

It was in the Contract With America. That worked out so nicely, didn’t it?

gryphon202 on September 25, 2010 at 6:15 PM

It did. They got fired in 2006/08.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

Damn straight! Go Gators!

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Gators..What about the Seminoles?..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

It makes you wonder how much money some of these “elites” have in off shore bank accounts?? Don’t give the money to them directly, but on your way through Switzerland, please stop by the bank.

ny59giants on September 25, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Democrat from the deepest depths of burning eternal hell, just like the rest of ‘em.

NoDonkey on September 25, 2010 at 6:28 PM

Gators..What about the Seminoles?..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:19 PM

The Criminoles? I laugh!

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I only hope, the Dimocrats don’t do their usual get the dead out to vote campaign to pull this out for ‘ol Rusky!

roosterman on September 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM

The Criminoles? I laugh!

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Gator Chomp!!..:)

PS..Allah has just posted an Alan Grayson post..Tell me we can beat this guy?..:)

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Dire Straits on September 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM

Excellent! I’m there.

Lanceman on September 25, 2010 at 6:40 PM

The ship is sinking!

Run!!

*watch mass of Democrats head for the gangway heading upwards… they stop at the iron bars shutting the lower paying passengers in below decks*

Help! Help!! Won’t anyone let us get off the ship?!?

*camera pans back to see the Captain drop the keys amongst the ice pieces*

Why look! Ice for the mixed drinks… perfect for that mid-evening cocktail on the unsinkable ship. I set the perfect course…

*Captain Obama picks up a chunk of ice and heads towards the main salon as the ship slowly lists further and further to the side*

The scream below decks increase as the ship slides slowly beneath the waves… the picture fades…

ajacksonian on September 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

This is not the same Russ Feingold I thought I knew. So… this is really a moratorium on just exactly how stupid Wisconsin voters are.

Mojave Mark on September 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

This is not the same Russ Feingold I thought I knew. So… this is really a moratorium referendum on just exactly how stupid Wisconsin voters are.

Mojave Mark on September 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM

FIFY. I wish we could have a moratorium on stupidity — then the Democrat Party wouldn’t exist, and neither would most of our trolls! :-D

Mary in LA on September 25, 2010 at 6:57 PM

I’m not that Russ Feingold! I’m Russy Feingold! Russ Feingold is my evil twin

ajacksonian on September 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM

At what age and with how much money, do you just throw your cards on the table and be yourself?

This jackass has been a lib all his life.

What no nad loser pretends to be something different than what he is, at his advanced age?

I hope his family down to his great, great grand-children are utterly disgusted with him.

NoDonkey on September 25, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Rick Boucher (D) VA 9th is running the same kind of ads. All he talks about is how often he’s voted with Republicans. He ends the ad by saying he’s independent. No mention at all that he’s been a Democrat since the late 70s.

TugboatPhil on September 25, 2010 at 8:51 PM

I’m not that Russ Feingold! I’m Russy Feingold! Russ Feingold is my evil twin…

ajacksonian on September 25, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Just how bad is it getting in the mid-west for Dems, especially the super-libs?

He’s already filed to legally change his name to Rush Feingold.

The mid-west is the epicenter of the “Red Storm”…

SuperCool on September 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

ButterflyDragon on September 25, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I have faith that the land of cheese and beer is sufficiently disgusted with our “maverick” liberal.
On the table: Obamacare, Porkulus, and single-party rule. WI has unemployment at about 8%, so we’re not so much a referendum on the economy as in other places. Instead, WI is a referendum on Statism.

May we choose well.

roscopico on September 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

woohoo, UCLA!

Jvette on September 25, 2010 at 10:07 PM

Yeah, like McCain wouldn’t be sitting next to him at lunch. pfffft

Sugar Land on September 25, 2010 at 10:55 PM

To quote Tom Cruise before he lost his mind:

Hog Wild on September 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM

When have they turned down raises? Link, please.

Schadenfreude on September 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM

This year, actually.

And like I said, it doesn’t mean a damn thing. I suppose it would be a nice gesture, if it weren’t a transparent distraction from all the corrupt stuff they do.

RINO in Name Only on September 26, 2010 at 12:11 AM

I bet the people sitting at the table with Feingold can’t even name the Vice President.

HellCat on September 26, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Feingold

Just Another Democrat Jacka$$
pretending to be an Ostrich!

“Let’s Roll

On Watch on September 26, 2010 at 2:37 AM

HellCat on September 26, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Perhaps they are in denial like me.

I still can’t believe we have a completely worthless buffoon one step away from the presidency?

What makes me feel better is that the president is a completely worthless buffoon as well, so Biden can step right in.

Seamless transition.

NoDonkey on September 26, 2010 at 4:49 AM

SuperCool on September 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

This is all a blatant attempt by the Democratic Party to ruin the business model of The Onion by turning them into a reputable news source unable to parody reality. They need to get sued so The Onion can get a reality check…

ajacksonian on September 26, 2010 at 6:00 AM

Bueller . . .Bueller . . .

Feingold . . . Feingold . . .

maverick muse on September 26, 2010 at 7:51 AM

hero suddenly with no

Nothing like extremism. Here’s irony.

Polish skin heads find out they’re Jewish.
They then join the local ORTHODOX synagogue.

“I’m not saying that I don’t have regrets but it’s not something that I walk around and lash myself over… I feel sorry for those that I beat up,” Pawel said. “But I don’t hold a grudge against myself.”

Obviously, the skin head wasn’t the one getting beaten.

maverick muse on September 26, 2010 at 7:56 AM

It’s funny to watch the proud papa’s prance around smiling with the dragon dog Obama-Kare. I wonder, what is the hood for?

tarpon on September 26, 2010 at 8:48 AM

When I watched on TV Nancy and company proudly march with the speakers gavel into the House of Representative it seemed like the end of the world. Who wouda thunk it?

Herb on September 26, 2010 at 9:49 AM

The Progressives like Scumgold can say anything, be anything now……..BECAUSE THEY RAMMED NATIONAL HEALTHCARE through.

THEY will control the serfs once and for all now.

PappyD61 on September 26, 2010 at 10:43 AM