Breitbart to Bill Maher: You know you’re not a libertarian anymore, right?

posted at 11:47 am on September 25, 2010 by Allahpundit

The funniest thing about this? I’m not sure Maher does know. He knows he’s more socialist than libertarian when it comes to health care, but as a general proposition about how he self-identifies, he seems hesitant when Breitbart puts it to him. That’s a testament, I think, to how intellectually attractive the libertarian brand is, ironically almost in inverse proportion to how successful it is at the polls. Democrats bristle at the “socialist” label but tell any Republican pol or pundit except Mike Huckabee that he’s a “libertarian” — especially in the year of the tea party — and he’s likely to agree, albeit with qualifiers. And why not? The brand means free markets, property rights, civil liberties, and most importantly for Maher, permissiveness towards drug use and sexual behavior. The Constitution + fun = crazy delicious. And because libertarianism tends to operate in popular debate as a critique of mainstream conservatism (even though, of course, economically it’s a much sharper critique of liberalism), it’s a useful way of endorsing certain elements of the GOP agenda without endorsing the entire rotten GOP brand, essentially shorthand for saying, “I like capitalism but I’m too thoughtful to be a Republican.” None of which is meant to impugn committed libertarians like the Reason crew, just guys like Maher who dig the label and the slight charge of dissident chic that it carries so much that they’re reluctant to part with it, even after they’ve (d)evolved into center-left Democrats.

Incidentally, the best part here isn’t the Breitbart/Maher exchange, it’s Maher insisting that the reason ObamaCare is polling so badly is because — no joke — the Democrats haven’t talked about it enough yet. That’s the cover story of next month’s Reason magazine, isn’t it? “More ObamaCare speeches, please”? Click the image to watch.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bill Maher once starred in a movie with Playboy-Playmate Shannon Tweed called “Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death.” What more do you need to know?
How anyone can take him seriously simply amazes me.

shorebird on September 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

AP-

You should ONLY use the photo of Maher with the stingray spike in his ‘bleeding’ chest, dressed as recently-killed adventurer Steve Irwin.

I stopped listening to this moron when he said the 9/11 highjackers demonstrated “courage”.

As if sucker-punching an child, a pregnant woman, a blind man or an old lady takes courage.

Maher is worse than a mere sleazebag, he is a moral imbecile.

Unable to grasp the most basic meanings of human guilt, innocence, cowardice and and vicious nihilism.

Mistaking its suicidal bravado for bravery.

A self-polishing moron.

profitsbeard on September 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM

How anyone can take him seriously simply amazes me.

shorebird on September 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

His audience is something akin to a cult:

Leader speaks.

Followers respond as conditioned.

Real Time with Bill Maher, sponsored by Kool Aid!

SuperCool on September 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Real Time with Bill Maher, sponsored by Kool Aid!
SuperCool on September 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Comes in two flavors: True! Believer and That’s Disappointing… (which is the worst a Leftoid will say about a betraying fellow Leftoid, while a political-cultural opponent, saying or doing the same thing, will be condemned to rotating on a poker in perdition).

profitsbeard on September 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM

profitsbeard on September 25, 2010 at 11:18 PM

Actually, I count three:

True! Believer

That’s Disappointing

and

Totally Detached From Reality

The third flavor’s especially popular amongst the Washington set…

SuperCool on September 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM

“I’m not afraid to say european socialism works.”

It is so pathetic that so many people in this country confuse being a pushy loudmouth with intelligence. maher is an absolute moron. we should cede california and all those idiots in the audience to mexico and then close the border up with mine fields so the idiots can’t come screaming back to the US for help.

peacenprosperity on September 25, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Was this the same episode where Breitbart made a dirty joke about the ten commandments and Christine O’Donnell? He keeps that up, he’s going to start growing on me.

RightOFLeft on September 25, 2010 at 11:48 PM

No, the best part is when Breitbart says he’s been on his best behavior all night. And Maher responds something along the lines of… “so have I… I could’ve have brought up the issue of race” and Breitbart shuts right up.

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Of course, I assume this was a little bit of a dirty trick by Maher, because I’m sure (given the glaring lack of Sharrod questions) that Breitbart couldn’t talk about that because of the pending lawsuit.

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

For Halloween, Maher should handcuff himself to Rosy O’Donnell and go ‘trick or treating’ as “Oxymoron”.

Bill would be the ‘moron’…

landlines on September 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Old, tired, repetitive and stupid. You hit for the cycle tonight, Tom.

notropis on September 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM

the most popular and electable GOP nominee now is Huck

sharrukin on September 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM

That’s a joke, right?

scotash on September 26, 2010 at 2:36 AM

How anyone can take him seriously simply amazes me.

shorebird on September 25, 2010 at 10:46 PM

True. Two things about that fact:

1. Cannibal Women In The Avocado Jungle of Death — which I rented from Blockbuster a long, long, time ago before I ever had seen Politically Incorrect — is actually pretty funny. It lampoons sensitive men and feminists (the titular Cannibal Women) along with male chauvinist pigs (played by Maher). Digs are made at Alan Alda and Phil Donahue that the present-day Maher would never tolerate. Of all the women who mistakenly thought posing nude in Playboy would launch them into mainstream stardom rather than stigmatize them until death, Shannon Tweed has come closest to overcoming the tag “Former Playmate” to be simply called “actress” … but, of course, she has not, and will not.

2. Every constantly working actor has done work they would prefer to shred into celluloid confetti, never to be seen again. For leftist showbiz icons like Maher, perhaps it’s Cannibal Women. With Tim Robbins, Howard The Duck and Fraternity Vacation. Sean Penn? Shanghai Surprise. But there are two edges to that sword: Jon Voight, who has come out fiercely in favor of the Tea Party movement, was in Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2. Yeah, they made a sequel to Baby Geniuses and an Best Actor Oscar winner starred in it. That doesn’t diminish Voight’s opinions any more than Maher’s participation in Cannibal Women does.

L.N. Smithee on September 26, 2010 at 3:49 AM

Maher is having a battle within himself, he is for free speech but government control but that is just one guy. We are fighting within our ranks over things like Obama’s birth place. I finally had enough of REDSTATE and am going to post this Hey Erick Erickson – Real Conservatives Don’t Post Freaking Diaries

Nearly Nobody on September 26, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Maher fancies himself some sort of “enlightened” thinker. In reality he’s just an self centered, arrogant, ignorant ass-hole. He pleads for the government to crush rightwing opposition and impose itself on the citizenry.

Yeah Bill, that’s really “enlightened”. The only clowns wishing for this are communists and stupid people. Maher falls into the stupid category.

darwin on September 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Old, tired, repetitive and stupid. You hit for the cycle tonight, Tom.

notropis on September 26, 2010 at 1:47 AM

Really. It’s no big chore for a guy like Shipley commenting on Hot Air when he just cuts and pastes the same old tired assertions from a collection of talking points.

hawkdriver on September 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Bill Maher on why America rejects Obamacare:

MAHER: Because they’re stupid.

Got it.

MarkT on September 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Tom_Shipley on September 26, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Nice to see you contradict yourself so quickly. Of course I’m sure you’re aware that this little clip is all most of us will see of the show, because it’s all the pretension we can stand from a man who doesn’t even understand what a libertarian is (big or small L).

Esthier on September 26, 2010 at 11:34 AM

the most popular and electable GOP nominee now is Huck

sharrukin on September 25, 2010 at 12:50 PM

That’s a joke, right?

scotash on September 26, 2010 at 2:36 AM

Yeah, it is a joke because you seem to have just made that up.

I never said that!!!

sharrukin on September 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

sharrukin on September 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

It’s a simple error. See

TimTebowSavesAmerica on September 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM.

VerbumSap on September 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM

sharrukin on September 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

It’s a simple error. See

TimTebowSavesAmerica on September 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM.

VerbumSap on September 26, 2010 at 4:35 PM

OK, I get it. I checked the 12:50 date and saw nothing. Besides I dislike Huckabee. He must have assumed TimTebowSavesAmerica was quoting me.

Honest mistake and thanks for clearing that up!

sharrukin on September 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM

No prob; I recalled seeing that comment yesterday…and cringing.

VerbumSap on September 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM

VerbumSap on September 26, 2010 at 5:18 PM

If interested, here’s the data I was referring to.

TimTebowSavesAmerica on September 26, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Breitbart is a mensch.

Inanemergencydial on September 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Personally, I despise libertarianism, and libertarians, but Maher couldn’t care less about that label. He, more or less, admitted to being a European socialist, right after Breitbart made his remark.

That liberal idiot wasn’t dismayed, at all, about being ‘informed’ he was no longer a libertarian (which is just nothing but a hyphenated liberal, to me), considering his response was to immediately pipe up with ‘I’m not afraid to say that European socialism works’. People like Maher and MacFarlane, truly, are the scum of the Earth, and they like it. They think there’s something wrong with you, because you don’t want to wallow in it, like they do.

Virus-X on September 27, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Maher was never a libertarian. It was a pose to say, “No, I’m not a Democrat. I’m a libertarian.”

It made him look more politically independent and non-partisan, but at heart he’s just a liberal.

There Goes The Neighborhood on September 27, 2010 at 1:29 AM

He thinks he’s a libertarian because he smokes weed and bangs hookers. And yet he wants government control in all other areas. He’s got the political sophistication of the proboscis monkey that spawned him.

Jim Treacher on March 6, 2012 at 3:10 PM

I’ve thought of myself as a libertarian for a while now, but maybe I’m not, because I don’t endorse drug use or irresponsible sexual behavior (I’m sure you didn’t mean sexual behavior in general). In any case, I wouldn’t be part of any club that would have the loathsome Bill Maher as a member.

RebeccaH on March 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM