Video: The campaign ad that sums up the election

posted at 8:48 am on September 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

If elections hinged on cutting to the heart of the biggest issue in the US with clarity and brevity, as well as wit and humor, Joel Demos would win Minnesota’s 5th CD seat in a landslide.  While Keith Ellison and the Democrats in Congress demand more spending, more debt, and more taxes, Demos reminds us exactly who will foot the bill for our profligate and self-absorbed policies in the long run.  In his latest campaign ad, Demos tells us why he’s running in an almost-impossible race — and reminds us why it matters:

Those are Joel’s kids and his wife in the video; I’ve had the pleasure of meeting her and Joel during the campaign. This may be a tough race for Joel to win, but no one can say that Joel didn’t put everything he has into fighting for it, and no one in MN-05 can say that they weren’t given a clear choice on November 2nd. Let’s hope they make the right choice, and if you have a few bucks, visit Joel’s site and help him get the message out.

Comments

Bada bing, bada boom!

sicoit on September 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM

Great ad; Joel’s got an uphill battle, but this year, anything is possible (Barney Frank isn’t even safe)!

michaelo on September 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM

But people don’t expect anyone to pay for it. They just assume it gets passed from generation to generation and nobody will ever actually pay. So far, that is what has happened.

keep the change on September 24, 2010 at 8:53 AM

This guy is real. He isn’t peddling some utopian fantasy.

seven on September 24, 2010 at 8:54 AM

What about that doesn’t that pr*ck Obama understand?

O/T Did AinCA get banned?

tessa on September 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Very nice! Memorable, cute & funny, and makes a great point.

Rosmerta on September 24, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Cute kids and effective ad.

OT but election-related: “The Corner” links to a dust-up between Reid and Angle supporters at a meet-the-candidates debate, where Reid phoned in his message via a videotape and Angle faced off with heckling (probably bussed in) Reid supporters. The event ended with some fisticuffs.

onlineanalyst on September 24, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Heck, that ad could go national.

cozmo on September 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Just you wait and see, Demos will catch hell from the ‘Rats for exploiting and endangering his children in the filming of this commercial. Never mind that they are destroying the country…

Haiku Guy on September 24, 2010 at 9:10 AM

That commercial is full of win.

victor82 on September 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM

That roadside shot was hilarious.

Very cute and effective.

Bee on September 24, 2010 at 9:14 AM

I am sure Tea Party Express is investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in winning this seat.

rightistliberal on September 24, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Cripes, the GOP should be copying this ad for every single candidate across the nation; the little cutie dropping the eggs in the bag while wearing the little apron was gold.

Alas, Keith Ellison’s district elected him even knowing that he likes to smacks the womens around, so yes indeed Demos has a big hill to climb. I sent my cash, hopefully it pays off.

Bishop on September 24, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Great video,another good one is found at youtube.com/benhoweblog…The Last Best Hope….

ohiobabe on September 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM

Great mix of message and humor. Joel is instantly likable.

Mojave Mark on September 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Those kids paying taxes on them sales?

abobo on September 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

what? he thinks he can win without that hope and change message? /s

jbh45 on September 24, 2010 at 9:26 AM

Does the Portland Health Department know about that kid selling slices of pizza at the side of the road?

Cute ad! C’mon, ‘Sotans vote for Joel Demos!

Fallon on September 24, 2010 at 9:32 AM

This whole epic struggle is like mortality. Nobody truly understands it until they are forced up to the edge of the abyss between normal and outhouse rat insane chaos.

Are we really (from a fiscal standpoint) two minutes to midnight? Sadly, by the time enough people figure it out, it may already be too late to reset the clock.

Contributions to campaigns like this one beats an alternative universe of bad, ugly, and worse.

itzWicks on September 24, 2010 at 9:33 AM

I agree – and the little cutie dropping the pineapple on top of the eggs was even better.

crazy_legs on September 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM

If yard signs = votes, Demos would win easily. I was just cruising through the district last weekend and saw dozens of Demos signs, and only 2 Ellison signs.

That, in itself, is an improvement. Other years, I don’t know that anyone would have been brave enough to allow a Republican’s sign in their yard, in that district.

notropis on September 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Though people don’t seem to realize it, we are paying for it right now: the slump we are in is because government is spending so much.

Count to 10 on September 24, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Fantastic. FANTASTIC!

And too adorable for words, which never hurts.

tree hugging sister on September 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Everything I’ve learned about Minnesota politics, I’ve learned from HotAir.

Abby Adams on September 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I get it that you are in that state, but how about focusing on areas YOU don’t live in.
Take a look at the 7th Congressional district in N.C…a real dogfight between a strong incumbent democrat, McIntyre, a seat that for over 100 years has been democrat, and McIntyre is the “whip” for N.C.
Against Ilario Pantano, a true patriot, and conservative Republican.
Six months ago, it was impossible for Pantano or any Republican to win…now it is practically even at the polls.
McIntyre, a clever liberal, has “voted” on a few conservative issues (while making sure his comrades vote the opposite), allowing him to claim he isn’t “liberal”, although he supported Pelosi at every turn. A stealth liberal, the worst kind.
Pantano gained initial fame by being accused of killing terrorists in Afghan in the battlefield, the accusations were dropped, but not after Murtha publicly accused him of murder.
A practical conservative, willing to look at every budget item (yes, including the military) and find abusive spending…the bane and fear of every liberal.
He understands the fair tax, and he understands where our economy comes from…business.
Every week, Ed, you should highlight some of these local campaigns, there are some great stories.
Pantano, like all Republicans that are fighting against a strong incumbent, needs your and every ones support.
I have maxed out my contributions to him…the first time I have ever done that for a politician…I believe in him, I trust him, and he needs to be in the Congress representing all of us.
Here is his website: Pantano

right2bright on September 24, 2010 at 9:44 AM

Demos is reaching for the sky, like his kid at the end of the ad.

Steve Z on September 24, 2010 at 9:57 AM

I don’t know. AP said he’s unelectable.

Ronnie on September 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Since moveon.org put out an ad just like this a few years ago, I assume that moveon.org is endorsing Demos?

WashJeff on September 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Bammie will see to it that these are counted as ‘jobs created’.

slickwillie2001 on September 24, 2010 at 10:08 AM

But, but… isn’t there some sure-fire Mike-Castle-esque moderate we can put in there instead? I mean, from what I keep reading, that would be better, right? Right?

/sarcasm off

Midas on September 24, 2010 at 10:12 AM

I love how money can be instantly channeled to any candidate that captures our interest or needs help.

No more donating to the RNC.

Just donated to this guy, that’s a great ad that should be replicated nationally.

commodore on September 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM

You go my vote, pal.

Breaking 35% in MN5 would be a moral victory.

But Ed, better to send the few bucks to Demmer in MN1. At least he has a chance to upset Walz.

Bruno Strozek on September 24, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Well, I like conservative kids ads better than liberal kids ads. This one was cute and funny, while liberal ones tend to be more of the “WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!” genre.

Dash on September 24, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Has anybody ever done a real analysis of the “next generation paying for it” thing?
I remember as a kid they said the same thing about my generation.
So how much is the current generation paying for the last generation? And how would anyone know they are paying?

albill on September 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM

It’s too bad that most of Ellison’s constituents are glad that Demos’s kids are footing the bill – much better than paying it themselves.

edshepp on September 24, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Adorable! I wish I had more money to support all these great grassroots candidates.

PattyJ on September 24, 2010 at 10:58 AM

O/T Did AinCA get banned?

tessa on September 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM

I can’t imagine–she is pretty “bland” (not intended as an insult–I just mean she isn’t a flamethrower).

DrMagnolias on September 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Moochelle would not approve of the little girl eating cookies.

HellCat on September 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Oh what cuties! I think I need to go see my grandkids.

Sorry kids. This debt thing wasn’t my idea. I should have done more. I will do more.

petunia on September 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Great ad, anyone with little kids should vote those spending idiots out.

wi farmgirl on September 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM

O/T Did AinCA get banned?

tessa on September 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Nope. If Drywall isn’t getting the banhammer I can’t see Ann in any danger – gratuitous stupidity on its own isn’t a very hefty charge on a political blog.

Dark-Star on September 24, 2010 at 2:55 PM

Impressive.

Can hear the Gipper now!. Way to go kid

hawkman on September 24, 2010 at 4:31 PM

This is an excellent ad.

I hope Demos wins. He is not my right wing cup of tea but you have to give him credit.

AshleyTKing on September 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM

Forget the NRCC and NRSC; guys like Joel who can put out ads like this and take sensible positions on the issues get my money directly.

irishspy on September 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM