Pelosi: It’s “great” that Colbert testified before Congress

posted at 4:41 pm on September 24, 2010 by Allahpundit

Just the right thing to say on a day when trust in the legislative branch is not only at an all-time low, but almost 10 points lower than the previous all-time low. There’s your legacy, Nancy.

Be honest. You’re going to miss her next year. Just a little.

Leaving her weekly press conference, Pelosi told reporters she thought it was appropriate for Colbert to appear as a witness, “He’s an American. He comes before the committee. He has a point of view.”

Pelosi added, “It can bring attention to an important issue like immigration. I think it’s great.”

I’m mighty curious to know what the limiting principle on that boldfaced bit is. Congress deals regularly with “important issues” that deserve more public attention, and celebrities can deliver public attention like no one else, so — what? Obligatory A-listers at every hearing? The One can’t sell “if you like your plan, you can keep your plan,” but hand Jerry Seinfeld a mic and put him in front of a brick wall backdrop and we might yet see those drain-circling numbers for ObamaCare start to float.

For your enjoyment, via Mediaite, here’s Megyn Kelly in outrageous outrageous mode covering the hearing this afternoon. Worth noting: She wasn’t the only reporter watching who cringed. My favorite part of the clip is where SC offers to show the committee a picture from his colonoscopy. Maybe that’s what John Conyers had in mind when he called Colby’s testimony “pretty profound”?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Most Impressive Congress Evah

blatantblue on September 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM

OK, so she admits being an attention whore. Progress?

Red Cloud on September 24, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Some of it was funny… you have to admit that.

GW_SS-Delta on September 24, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I would like to see Republicans invite Achmed the Dead Terrorist, it could bring light to islamic terror..

the_nile on September 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM

And the difference between a colonoscopy and this video is……….

Neal4007 on September 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM

My office lamp is more intelligent than Nancy P.

rickyricardo on September 24, 2010 at 4:46 PM

You’re going to miss her next year.

Sure …… just like that compacted, fizzing, green and black colored wisdom tooth I had pulled out last year.

Jerome Horwitz on September 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I believe its time we opened congressional seats to all primates, not just human beings. If the Speaker of the House was a chimpanzee it would bring lots of attention to important issues, and besides, the quality of the legislation would probably be a hell of a lot better than it is now.

Cicero43 on September 24, 2010 at 4:47 PM

Lord only knows the immigration issue has been languishing in the dark recesses. We needed something to bring attention to immigration. No one has talked about it in… well gosh… decades.

ButterflyDragon on September 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

….and I thought Colbert was embarrassing.

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Hey Nance!! I have a point of view, too. How bout I come testify in front of congress. I’m as much an expert on immigration as MR. Colbert. Maybe even more so.

Freakin joke. They. All. Gotta. Go.

azkag on September 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

“He’s an American. He comes before the committee. He has a point of view.”

These are the qualifications? Where’s my invite, first class ticket, and hotel reservation? I’ll even put on a tie.

peski on September 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

I’m an American too Nancy. Can I appear in front of any committee I want to also? You are NOT going to like my testimony!

Trafalgar on September 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Be honest. You’re going to miss her next year. Just a little.

Impertinence hardest hit

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Be honest. You’re going to miss her next year. Just a little.

Not only will I not miss her, I wish there was some sort of Total Recall-type machine that could erase my memory of ever knowing she existed.

Jim-Rose on September 24, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Oh, was he talking about immigration? My take-away from the entire fiasco is that he’s a fool and he and the people who sat there and listened to him made a mockery of our Congress.

Oink on September 24, 2010 at 4:49 PM

“San Fran Nan drops back to pass- she drops the ball AGAIN! She recovers, but that’s another seven yard loss for the Dems, now back at thier own five…”

SuperCool on September 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Megyn Kelly is cute when she’s mad.

Grow Fins on September 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I’m mighty curious to know what the limiting principle on that boldfaced immobilized face is.

FIFY

VibrioCocci on September 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

So what , in good economic times you can afford this..

the_nile on September 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Nancy, Crappy swan song.

tessa on September 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

For what other reason than to draw attention away from the DOJ hearings was Colbert asked to appear before Congress today? Expert on immigration? Hardly. If Pelosi sees a blatant mockery of Congress as a “great thing” then perhaps she really needs to be removed from Congress herself…and soon.

coldwarrior on September 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Congress is intellectually disabled or challenged.

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2010 at 4:54 PM

This says it all about this idiot… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6PU0Oq0ysA

Republican Yogi on September 24, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Megyn Kelly is cute when she’s mad.

Grow Fins on September 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Ever seen her when she wasn’t? That’s her bread and butter.

Esthier on September 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM

It must be in the eye of the beholder.

Who would ever think of bringing someone in to make of a majority of Americans by pretending to be one of them who is totally racist. While at the same time make light of the plight of real people stuck in this country’s insane immigration policies.

How could that sound like a good idea? In what reality?

petunia on September 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Take a long look around your office Nancy.

Your Eviction Notice will be served in less than 60 days.

portlandon on September 24, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Megyn Kelly is cute when she’s mad.

Grow Fins on September 24, 2010 at 4:51 PM

You’re ugly either way.

the_nile on September 24, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Some of it was funny… you have to admit that.

Which hearing were you watching? We’re referring to the one that happened today…

Clips or it didn’t happen.

CatsGodot on September 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM

I think they really think he is for real, a real “newsman”, they probably think Stewart is a real “newsman” too.

Texas Gal on September 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Read “to make fun OF a majority”

Also give me the benfit of the doubt on the rest of the proofreading I seldom get done well…

petunia on September 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM

So, that stunt cost the taxpayers $125,000.

Niiiice. By the way, the “corn packing” clip is here.

RushBaby on September 24, 2010 at 4:58 PM

So San Fran Nan thinks the reason the immigration problem has not be resolved is because not enough people are paying attention?

Jan 2011 cannot get here fast enough. I hope the country can survive until then.

pedestrian on September 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Yeah, I’d love to be able to see the old comedians Norm Crosby explain how DADT works or Georgie Jessel describe how earmarks don’t harm anyone. GREAT Congressional testimony, I tell ya.

DrStock on September 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Granny Rictus strikes again.

GnuBreed on September 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Texas Gal on September 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Of course they do. The majority of liberals I know watch both shows religiously and some can even recite bits word for word.

ButterflyDragon on September 24, 2010 at 5:00 PM

As I said in the headlines this morning, it’s really great that we don’t have problems like 10% unemployment, a economy in meltdown, real estate values tanking, 401K’s shrinking, Social Security and Medicare insolvency looming, potentially back-breaking tax increases, an ever-exploding defecit, the dollar in the toilet, emboldened Islamic Terrorists, and a potentially nuclear Iran who’s vowed to destroy our staunchest Middle Eastern ally, that Congress can entertain themselves with pictures of Stephen Colbert in character. Really. Frikkin. Great.

Is it November yet?

crazy_legs on September 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Fins thanks for the insight./

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM

the_nile on September 24, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Ding Ding Ding.

pablo5108 on September 24, 2010 at 5:03 PM

We are witnessing a mass crack up!

TheBigOldDog on September 24, 2010 at 5:03 PM

That was pretty funny, actually. Is Colbert secretly on our side? It must be a lot easier to do his schtick with a Republican majority in power.

bitsy on September 24, 2010 at 5:04 PM

The Madness of Queen Nancy!

But since the media is fixated on this, and universally ignoring the CRITICAL testimony by Christopher Coates…I guess Colbert accomplished his mission!

Justrand on September 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM

You cannot blame SC for the job he did on Congress today, they ASKED him to appear. The colonoscopy testimony is priceless. I’d like to show them the inside of my butthole , with an explanation where to find the Health care plan they deemed into law.

UNREPENTANT CONSERVATIVE CAPITOLIST on September 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Any member of congress who ISN’T mortified over this stunt should be recalled. I had nothing to do with it and am deeply embarrased by my government.

LASue on September 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM

One of Glenn Reynolds’ astute readers had this to say

MORE: Reader Mark Linder writes:

You and John Mark Williams are right to suppose that the administration and its supporters are much happier with people talking about Colbert and not Coates. As ridiculous as Colbert makes Congress look, and perhaps Mr. Nix is correct that Colbert’s point is to expose them, the worst that will happen is people thinking “There they go again” while going on with their daily lives. If Mr. Coates’s testimony and what it means for this administration’s attitudes about law and the use of the Federal Department of Justice became the topic, it would shake the basic attitude toward federal power of many people who are generally open to the suggestion that a powerful government may on the whole be something we can live with. I think that many more people would begin to regard the state at any level with a lot more wariness, and that the bargain that’s been on offer, i.e., you can trust us with power because we’ll provide what you need fairly, will be rejected by an even greater proportion of the voting public.

Goebbels would be proud of today’s Democrats.

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 5:07 PM

And they accuse the tea party of being whack jobs.

I can’t wait to see the next Rasmussen congressional poll.

The Ugly American on September 24, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I figured the whole point of his ‘testimony’ was to divert attention away from the Justice Department hearings.

Asher on September 24, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Colbert has a lot of guts to say what he did. Kudos to him. It was clear from his remarks that he knows what a ridiculous thing this was to invite him to speak. And he was very funny.

pedestrian on September 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

…here’s Megyn Kelly in outrageous outrageous mode…

Hee hee…

I love it whenever she breaks into her show with that look of utter disgust and you know that first hour is gonna be a doozy.

The Ugly American on September 24, 2010 at 5:15 PM

pedestrian on September 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

I disagree. If he had “guts”, he would have politely declined to play clown for the Dem’s amusement.

Pasalubong on September 24, 2010 at 5:18 PM

Is there a point below which the Democrats will not go to make a mockery of our institutions?

This is nearly as offensive as seeing the Speaker of the House strutting before a crowd of angry citizens, flaunting the gavel which is the symbol of her office to show her contempt for them.

If there is a Democrat worth re-electing I haven’t seen him or her. Get the broom! On second thought, perhaps a flute would work better…

drunyan8315 on September 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Asher on September 24, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Probably, and yhat makes Colbert an accomplice.

the_nile on September 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

pedestrian on September 24, 2010 at 5:11 PM

Maybe you could write a check out to the U.S. Treasury to cover this farce.

As for dumb as a rock ear of corn, Nancy P, this is not about “immigration” per se. If we wanted to, we could easily arrange to have seasonal migrant workers work here legally without making them (and their families) permanent residents or citizens. But that doesn’t solve the problem of Dems/unions needing 8 million new voters, so that solution is never advanced.

Buy Danish on September 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM

You have to love the dishonesty of the Take Our Jobs challenge.

Let me see if I have this right . Millions upon millions of illegal workers come here and drive down wages to the point where Americans won’t do those jobs and then the government(most due to the left) pays people not to work AND THESE people then claim Americans won’t do the jobs? Sure they won’t but how about the illegals leave and let us stop paying people to not work. Then let us talk . I am tired of the dishonest scum.

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM

This is America. I don’t want vegetables picking our leaders.

Christien on September 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

This is America. I don’t want vegetables picking our leaders.

Christien on September 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM

I don’t want vegetables as leaders.

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Zoe is something that was removed prior to SC colonoscopy. She should be thrown out of congress.

wepeople on September 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

All I can say is…I’m embarrassed by this debacle. Just embarrassed.

capejasmine on September 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

So does this mean there will be no ethics trial of Charlie and Maxine before the election? Colbert could come testify about that.

txmomof6 on September 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I’ll be here all week, ladies and gents… remember to tip your congressman.

- Colbert

malclave on September 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I don’t want a tomato picked by a Mexican

-Democrats in Congress

bitsy on September 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Ed Gonzalez, Zoe Lofgren’s ex-Marine Republican opponent, was just handed her head on a platter. Please make the most of it Ed.

Kalifornia Kafir on September 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Be honest. You’re going to miss her next year. Just a little.

Never. Can’t wait to get rid of that doddering, insane, old fool.

She is an embarrassment to everyone especially senior citizens. Even those afflicted with senility function better than Pelosi. The woman is bat $hit crazy.

Cody1991 on September 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM

I dont want opinions from a wop livin’ in homo-town!
If you’re offended by that, take it up with congress.

abobo on September 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Oh, and btw, when Boehner takes the gavel out of her hand he should hand her a month’s supply of Depends as a going away present.

Cody1991 on September 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM

clueless in DC

cmsinaz on September 24, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Cody1991 on September 24, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Probably better if Boehner simply takes out a few Purell wipes and cleans the gavel before actually taking hold of it. /

coldwarrior on September 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Be honest. You’re going to miss her next year. Just a little.

Not in the speaker’s chair. But seeing her in her wittle seat in the assembly will give me some satisfaction. As will watching her hand over the gavel.

fossten on September 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

I don’t want a tomato picked by a Mexican

-Democrats in Congress

bitsy on September 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I wonder what Rino Colin Powell thinks.

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Kalifornia Kafir on September 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM

indeed!

cmsinaz on September 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Here’s a list of of the subcommittee members:

Democrats:

Gregg Harper, Mississippi
Elton Gallegly, California
Dan Lungren, California
Ted Poe, Texas
Jason Chaffetz, Utah
Lamar S. Smith, Texas

I’ll definitely be sending off an email to my congressman, Howard Berman, before days end.

The Ugly American on September 24, 2010 at 5:38 PM

And they wonder why they’re getting pounded in the polls.

Chris of Rights on September 24, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Yeah, he got loads of laughs didn’t he.

GarandFan on September 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM

Founding fathers rolling over…..

tommer74 on September 24, 2010 at 5:45 PM

OT but more good news

(CNSNews.com) – U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan vowed on Tuesday that his department would work to make American children into “good environmental citizens” through federally subsidized school program

CWforFreedom on September 24, 2010 at 5:49 PM

“He’s an American. He comes before the committee. He has a point of view.”

I’m an American. I have a point of view. Can I testify, too?

glockomatic on September 24, 2010 at 5:52 PM

It’s not unusual for Congress to call on Hollywood actors and a@@ hats to testify before them. Just the other day Kevin Costner testified before Congress, only he used the opportunity to scold them about what a dismal response they made to the spill in the Gulf. I guess he wasn’t “funny” enough to suit them. Go pick apples, Colbert. Maybe that’s your true calling.

scalleywag on September 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Wimpy spineless Republican Congressman – after going on and on and on, wimps out whether the idiot Zoe should apologize.

Marcus on September 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Nanny Pelosi is insane.

volsense on September 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

SuperCool on September 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

I can see a Safety and 3 Touchdowns being scored in November from my house……

dmh0667 on September 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Nanny Pelosi is insane.

volsense on September 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I second that. I also submit that the majority of democrats in Congress are either insane, evil or morally bankrupt.

darwin on September 24, 2010 at 5:59 PM

“He’s an American. He comes before the committee. He has a point of view.”

His view was that of his colon that he wanted part of the public record.

scalleywag on September 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

A Megyn Kelly vid on Hot Air always makes my day! <3

Thanks, AP!

lansing quaker on September 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Boy, he was HYSTERICAL! Golly day, it may be DAYS before I stop laughing.

This is what happens what happens when Democrats invite “celebrities” to give “expert” testimony. I recall when Dhimmicrats invited Jessica Lange to testify on the problems of American farm families. The closest Lange ever got to a farm was when her chauffeur got lost and drove past one, but according to Dhimmicrats, she was an “expert” because she once played a farm wife in a movie. That’s as close as the jerkwads get to reality.

oldleprechaun on September 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

I don’t think this will end well for Colbert. Check out Drudge. Headlines:

DEM CRACKUP: COMEDIAN ASKED TO LEAVE HILL HEARING…
…tries to enter images from his colonoscopy into congressional record
Sarcastically Argues For Farm Workers…
Makes ‘Gay Iowans’ Joke…
VIDEO…
Gets 7 Armed-Guard Escort Exiting House…
Shock: Even DC reporters declare Colbert to be out of line…

My prediction? This is the beginning of the end of his career.

RushBaby on September 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM

scalleywag on September 24, 2010 at 5:53 PM

I would have had little or no objection if Colbert had testified out of “character”. But using Congress to present one of his comedy shtick-with-a-message was out of line. He can do that on his show, where he is supported by his network and advertisers. It’s absolutely pathetic that Nancy P doesn’t get it (but then again her life seems to be inextricably intertwined with Big Government).

Buy Danish on September 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM

oldleprechaun on September 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Colbert is much more qualified. In fact, he is a bona fide expert. He spent a day on a migrant farm. Impressed? Congress was!

scalleywag on September 24, 2010 at 6:05 PM

Buy Danish on September 24, 2010 at 6:03 PM

I think she has dementia. Most people who have that aren’t given a gavel and control of a majority of Congressmen.

scalleywag on September 24, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Just when I thought I could not be any more disgusted with our elected overlords you put this up. November cannot come soon enough.

Oldnuke on September 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM

My prediction? This is the beginning of the end of his career.

RushBaby on September 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM

It should be the end of the Dems. This incident fully encapsulates the mentality of the left. They love celebrity. It’s the old, star Ph%cker mindset. They mock our country and its institutions. Everything is a joke.

Well, this country is not a joke. It is great and wonderful. The fact that we have fallen so far as to have comedians trotted into Congress for entertainment is beyond the pale. It’s bad enough that Congress is largely filled with crooks and idiots and the Senate has many who will not retire with grace refusing instead to be wheeled in strapped to a plank or so incapacitated that their work and decisions are left to staffers.

We have to clean house. We must once again become a rational, serious nation.

Cody1991 on September 24, 2010 at 6:14 PM

I can hardly wait until she loses her government jet….

ultracon on September 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM

As if they needed to lose more credibility than they’ve already lost, integrity and honor took a huge hit today. We must look pathetic to other nations.

scalleywag on September 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I think that all of us Americans should show up on Monday morning outside any of the subcommittee hearings and demand to be heard because after all we are Americans and we have a point of view.

In fact, like half a million of us showed up a couple weeks ago, but it seems to me you didn’t want to hear our point of view. Maybe we didn’t make it funny enough.

UnderstandingisPower on September 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Anyone listening to Levin? He’s getting started on Coates’ statements today.

Cody1991 on September 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Oldnuke on September 24, 2010 at 6:12 PM

fesofee on September 24, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The fact that a DE-MO-CRAT invited this idiot in serious need of a village to testify as an “expert witness” on one of the most critical and polarizing issues in this country right now should convince even the most ardent skeptic among us that the Democrats could give a flying flaming rat’s patootie in space on the issue of immigration, or anything else for that matter!

I swear, anyone who votes for any Democrat in November is just as certifiably stupid as Stephen Colbert!

pilamaye on September 24, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Who is a bigger idiot?

ALAN GRAYSON (Next Democrat Speaker)

or COLBERT, JON STEWART OR PELOSI?

PappyD61 on September 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM

I can see a Safety and 3 Touchdowns being scored in November from my house……

dmh0667 on September 24, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Nancy’s political career’s going to be buried in the endzone, right next to Jimmy Hoffa.

SuperCool on September 24, 2010 at 8:15 PM

Who is a bigger idiot?

ALAN GRAYSON (Next Democrat Speaker)

or COLBERT, JON STEWART OR PELOSI?

PappyD61 on September 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM

That’s a trick question.

Grayson’s never going to be speaker.

SuperCool on September 24, 2010 at 8:16 PM