Coates: Obama appointee told me to stop pursuing race-neutral enforcement of Voting Rights Act

posted at 10:18 am on September 24, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

PJTV is broadcasting the testimony of Christopher Coates to the Civil Rights Commission live this morning, but they already have his opening statement available in PDF format at Pajamas Media.  It contains at least one bombshell, which is that Obama appointee Loretta King ordered Coates to stop asking applicants whether they supported race-neutral enforcement of the Voting Rights Act.  The question became necessary because of resistance in the Civil Rights division from career attorneys to enforce the law when it resulted in African-American defendants rather than victims, an attitude that Coates first encountered in the Bush era:

Opposition within the Voting Section was widespread to taking actions under the VRA on behalf of white voters in Noxubee County, MS, the jurisdiction in which Ike Brown was and is the Chairman of the local Democratic Executive Committee.  In 2003, white voters and candidates complained to the Voting Section that elections had been administered in a racially discriminatory manner and asked that federal observers be sent to the primary run-off elections.  Career attorneys in the Voting Section recommended that we not even go to Noxubee County for the primary run-off to do election coverage, but that opposition to going to Noxubee was overridden by the Bush Administration’s CRD Front Office.  I went on the coverage and while traveling to Mississippi, the Deputy Chief who was leading that election coverage asked me, “can you believe that we are going to Mississippi to protect white voters?”  What I observed on that election coverage was some of the most outrageous and blatant racially discriminatory behavior at the polls committed by Ike Brown and his allies that I have seen or had reported to me in my thirty-three plus years as a voting rights litigator.

Eventually, a judge agreed with Coates’ assessment after the Department of Justice won an injunction against Brown and the Democratic Executive Committee, which was held up on appeal.  That was the first time that the DoJ had pursued prosecution under the VRA against African-American defendants, and it rankled many within the CRD.  When Coates took over the division, he began asking in job interviews whether applicants could work on similar cases in the future, but got slapped down for it:

In the spring of 2009, Ms. King, who had by then been appointed Acting AAG for Civil Rights by the Obama Administration, called me to her office and specifically instructed me that I was not to ask any other applicants whether they would be willing to, in effect, race-neutrally enforce the VRA.  Ms. King took offense that I was asking such a question of job applicants and directed me not to ask it because she does not support equal enforcement of the provisions of the VRA and had been highly critical of the filing and prosecution of the Ike Brown case.

The American view of the rule of law is clear: laws are to be enforced equally on all people, and prosecutions should not be predicated on ethnicity or other biases.  The court ruled that Ike Brown broke the law.  If so, why wouldn’t Justice prosecute and enforce the VRA for all American citizens?

I will continue to read through Coates’ testimony and update the post as necessary, but this alone should create questions about the politicization of justice and at Justice in this administration.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

So true, d1carter. And I really liked how the Chairman (I think it was) acknowledged that. With pretty much his opening statement to Coates, he told him how impressed he was with him and how courageous he thought he was for coming here to testify now.

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Not having the right amount of melanin in my skin, I had some doubt as to whether my ballot would ever see the light of day.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Did your ballot go in a box labeled “white oppressor”?

/ jk

faraway on September 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM

“I love the smell of subpoenas in January… smells like victory.”

Akzed on September 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Sorta reminds me of the Johnny Sutton DOJ – Let’s be sure not to prosecute the bad guys!

The whole department is a contradiction in terms and needs a serious power-washing.

Tim_CA on September 24, 2010 at 11:20 AM

You sound just like Loretta King. One side is always right, and one side is always wrong, physical evidence be damned.

RBMN on September 24, 2010 at 11:26 AM

I remember telling crr6 yesterday I was looking forward to her comments after his testimony. Do I hear *crickets*?

a capella on September 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Holder is a sock puppet doing and saying what he is told to do.

seven on September 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

Perhaps not in this case. Obama has to respond to this. He can’t ignore it right now before midterms.

a capella on September 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I don’t think he will. I think he’s going to try to sweep this under the rug…or the bus. He’s gotta know that this is a barrel of nitroglycerine in a dynamite factory sitting next to a gasoline refinery. This could easily be the one thing that spells doom for him.

Oldnuke on September 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Excellent justification for why he started asking people if they would try cases on a race-neutral basis!

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM

a capella on September 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I hope you are right, and defer to your opinion. I have no patience for these types of problems, nor ability to deal with them.

Skandia Recluse on September 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM

“I was not asked, I was told” to not ask that question.

Boom!

WisRich on September 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

But I think that is exactly WHY Obama is going to have to respond to this, Oldnuke: because its a barrel of nitro ready to explode. Obama is going to have to try to disarm the bomb that is waiting to pop before “the dreaded FOX news service” really gets a chance to give it a go. Almost makes me feel sorry for Obama having to try to find a way to head this off. lol

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Do note that if Obama is capable of ‘triangulating’ he would start here, with Holder and the Voting Rights section of DoJ. This testimony and that of Adams, earlier, now put into disrepute the idea of justice being enforced and administered blindly for the good of all citizens.

Fairness requires advocacy, bias and supporting certain ends via any means.

Equality before the law requires blindness to race, class, wealth, and all other things and treating each person as a citizen without favor or malice aforethought.

No justice system will ever be fair… but it can be equitable and treat all alike.

When a justice system loses that, it loses legitimacy and the rule of law, when it becomes a pure advocacy system for outcomes, loses adherence and respect. Soon the laws come into disrepute and the power to enforce them delegitimized. That is the path we are on, and Obama will not change it to ‘triangulate’. He does not want equality of application but fairness in outcome. And between those two lies a gulf between a Nation ruled by laws and one ruled by men. The first is civilized, the second barbaric.

ajacksonian on September 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Oh yeah…that was one heck of a bomb he just dropped, WisRich: You WILL NOT ask him that question again. Politics OOZES out of that command. :-D

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 11:36 AM

The Yaki dude is now trying to draw moral equivalencies to a minuteman case instead of keeping this to the NBP case.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM

A Dem commissioner (Yaki) seems unsympathetic. He’s asking about some Yuma case in 2006/2007 about Latinos being intimidated. He seems to be laying the groundwork that they ignored a previous instance, yet now they’re outraged about the New Black Panther Party.

Diversion.

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 11:40 AM

“You wing dings, in the case of General Tsao vs. Chicken (1834) the court overwhelmingly agreed that demorats are allowed to be racists if they feel such action is for the common good.”

-crr6, perpetual law student

Bishop on September 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Just Pea Pods for me, thanks.

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Wasn’t it one BLACK guy with a holstered gun who was not breaking any laws?

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, I hear that, BuckeyeSam. I get the difference, too: the Yuma the Minutemen were observing the law (correct distance away from the polling place, holstered weapon is allowed by law) while in the NBP case they were not (right in front of the doors, billy club in hand and out in the open, hurling racial slurs). Coates is making a good case for this, too!

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM

The attitude of this Justice Department is old-hat around here. It is the attitude of “we are owed this” due to the blatant discrimination practices of 50+ years ago.

Funny how they don’t see the problem with a policy of ending discrimination of one race by discriminating against another.

MississippiMom on September 24, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I live in DeSoto County, Mississippi, just south of Memphis, which is one of the most affluent, white, and conservative counties in the state. And I can’t definitively prove it, but I have reason to believe there was a conspiracy to prevent some white voters here from voting in the 2008 elections. Not only did we have the presidential election, but because Gov. Barbour tapped Roger Wicker to replace Trent Lott, we had an unusually competitive congressional race (preceded by a competitive special election).

On election day I was told I was not on the election roll and was forced to vote via a provisional ballot. The same thing happened to my wife. Months later we received letters from the election commission telling us that because we had never registered our ballots had been thrown out. But, you see, we HAD registered at the DMV pursuant to Clinton’s Motor Voter law. My wife registered many months before I did. Curiously, most, if not all, of our DMV employees are black.

I went to the election commission to speak to someone in person. They told me all I could do was to re-register. As I completed the form, a friendly clerk whispered that what happened to me had happened to dozens of other…white voters. I asked if she thought it was bureaucratic incompetence or something else. Her response: “Something else.”

I have made phone calls and written letters reporting this, but no one seems to care. But I’m still outraged over it. Throw out enough DeSoto County ballots and there is a much better chance of swinging any congressional election toward the Democrats.

flyfisher on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Coates is answering Yaki’s diversion… and Yaki keeps trying to interrupt him because he doesn’t care about the facts of the case, he just wants to make an emotional moral equivalency.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Wow. Just WOW.

Coates just absolutely destroyed the fool who tried to make something out of his questioning potential hires. He gave King another broadside in the process. Lesson: Don’t try to exploit this guy to generate a little spin.

This guy is going to be impossible for Holder, Obama and their media buddies to spin. He is obviously a highly competent attorney and he is good on his feet in the manner of a good trial lawyer. He has the facts on his side. Looks to me like he understands the ethics of knife-fighting. He is going to do them some serious damage, and if they keep f***ing with him, he’ll destroy them. As in prison.

novaculus on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

ajacksonian on September 24, 2010 at 11:35 AM

All true. But, your comment about triangulation makes me wonder if Obama might seize on this as an opportunity to make that move. It would irritate the hell out of his base, but might be the silver bullet he needs right now.

a capella on September 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I love how Coates is staying cool, calm, and collected with every answer he gives. And he’s always ready to hammer right back with the facts vs. emotional appeal (as in the case of Yaki). This is torturous testimony for the DoJ!

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Who is under investigation here? Coates or the DOJ?

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM

a capella on September 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM

That is why this is a test of his character: if he is an ideologue, then he will do nothing, and if he is a mere politician way out in Leftistan then he will try to act.

He has not acted, before this, as a mere politician.

Thus I suspect the path to lawlessness is on the agenda.

ajacksonian on September 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I’m not sure triangulating on race is possible for Obama. Jeremiah Wright will weigh heavily on any movement in that arena. On top of that, I am not sure it’s in his DNA. He BELIEVES the crap he spews. I totally can see him trying the triangulation, but I don’t think it’s a slamdunk. But if I had to make a bet, I’d put my money on a double down on racist spew. His M.O. thus far has been far more combative than conciliatory.

WashingtonsWake on September 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Did someone spray for trolls in here?

Akzed on September 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

The full testimony can be found here:

Its a jawdropper…

jeffthevoter on September 24, 2010 at 11:50 AM

novaculus on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

They won’t have to spin it-they will just tell the media not to report it at all.

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Coates alluded to the reason for it. If the message gets out, that minorities will never be prosecuted for voter intimidation or voter fraud, then more minority polling officials (and free-lance intimidation squads) will feel free to commit fraud and turn whites away from the polls. They want the message out there.

RBMN on September 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM

We can’t get these racist bastards out of Washington fast enough. Is it November yet?

crosspatch on September 24, 2010 at 11:52 AM

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
George Orwell

The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.
George Orwell

What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?
George Orwell

All the war-propaganda, all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting.
George Orwell

Big Brother is watching you.
George Orwell

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly reported in a newspaper.
George Orwell

Four legs good, two legs bad.
George Orwell

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face – forever.
George Orwell

In our age there is no such thing as ‘keeping out of politics.’ All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred and schizophrenia.
George Orwell

Liberal: a power worshipper without power.
George Orwell

Nationalism is power hunger tempered by self-deception.
George Orwell

Patriotism is usually stronger than class hatred, and always stronger than internationalism.
George Orwell

Political language… is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
George Orwell

Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship.
George Orwell

Progress is not an illusion, it happens, but it is slow and invariably disappointing.
George Orwell

Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent.
George Orwell

So much of left-wing thought is a kind of playing with fire by people who don’t even know that fire is hot.
George Orwell

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength.

ELMO Q on September 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM

The MFM is still a gatekeeper.

Unfortunately there is no longer a fence between people and information, thus they become the toll booth in the middle of the desert in Blazing Saddles and only the dimwitted go through them for anything.

ajacksonian on September 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM

If this information does not get reported in the LSM, we all can forget about them ever changing. Chris Coates is destroying the DOJ.

d1carter on September 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM

The most amazing testimony I have EVER heard.

WOW!

This man is unshakeable…and utterly convincing!!

Justrand on September 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM

All my comments on the Colbert thread at Huffpo are getting scrubbed.

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Affirmative Action isn’t “race neutral” and nobody seems to care about that.

Admissions requirements are not “race neutral” and nobody cares about that.

etc…

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Mine just got scrubbed here… I mentioned affirm-ative action… was that why?

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Oh man, Coates is detroying this administration.

“We pursued more voter violation cases under Bush than Clinton.” Shot down the claim that they were now ” open for business” under Obama.

Devestating.

WisRich on September 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM

He said something positive about the Bush Administration in regard to civil rights… his life is over.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:57 AM

How do you like your post-partisan, post-racial president now, Obama voters? Isn’t it refreshing to have such objective, impartial, fair-minded appointees in charge of our justice system?

It will take years to repair the damage this presidency is doing to race relations in this country. Thanks again, Obama voters. I hope your “historic” vote for this fool was worth what’s it’s going to cost all of us.

AZCoyote on September 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Did someone spray for trolls in here?

Akzed on September 24, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Most of the trolls don’t get out of bed until at least noon.

Aviator on September 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

novaculus on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM

The the next Congress does what it should do, eventually this story will get out despite any combined effort by the press and the Obama Administration to keep it under wraps.

flyfisher on September 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

devastating

WisRich on September 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

“Can you believe we are being sent down to Mississippi to help a bunch of white people?”

ouch.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

a capella on September 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM

You probably do, but that’s just the normal noise you hear when you’re trying to complete a thought. In any event, I read the post, and this caught my eye…

Discuss.

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

novaculus on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 11:51 AM

The IFthe next Congress does what it should do, eventually this story will get out despite any combined effort by the press and the Obama Administration to keep it under wraps.

flyfisher on September 24, 2010 at 11:58 AM

flyfisher on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Here comes that tool Yaki again…

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Yaki getting desperate.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

my posts are not posting here

ELMO Q on September 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

IT’S BUSH’S FAULT!!!!!

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM

crr6 getting desperate.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Yaki is fascinated alot.

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Yaki is getting his self-righteous a$$ handed to him.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Oh, and in case anyone forgot

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I love when these things show the absolute total ineptness of the questioners.

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Discuss.

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

More civil rights cases filed by Bush Admin than Clinton’s.

Obfuscate.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Most likely. Even though Barry Obama has publicly stated that he was probably a beneficiary of AA during his schooling, it’s apparently verboten to speak of it here. Any comment here in which I spell out the name of the misbegotten program (AA) disappears down the rabbit hole.

AZCoyote on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

C-BS Radio “News” just led off the 12 PM EDT newscast with Story #1…”work in progress” Ms. Lohan.

Story #2: DADT in court case today.

Story #3: O’bama disses Iran President’s claim that 9/11 was an inside job.

Story #4: Facebook founder gives a zillion dollars to Newark Schools.

Story #5: Space Station problems with a hatch and latch.

Story #6: New home sales slowed down

Story #7: Miami bank robbery

The Whitewash has started.

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Yaki. Boy that was bad. Total fail.

WisRich on September 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Oh, and in case anyone forgot…

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Because Holder is a Socialist, racist tool.

This case is proving that assertion.

Obfuscate much?

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Oooohhh…ouch. Those last to questions with his direct, terse answers of “Yes.” were wicked. :)

Highlar on September 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

AZCoyote on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I noticed that the other day too.

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM

My point was only that AA isn’t “race neutral” and neither are college admissions standards.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

More civil rights cases filed by Bush Admin than Clinton’s.

Obfuscate.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Credible link, please. I doubt it. The DOJ was a complete mess under Bush. See here.

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Yes, it is all in our imaginations, in case you forgot…

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

flyfisher on September 24, 2010 at 11:43 AM

I’ve never had that problem anywhere I have lived. But because I’ve heard about this all too often, I save the registration documents I’m given and if I don’t get them I insist on getting them, such as the voter registration card most counties issue.

Eren on September 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Oh, and in case anyone forgot…

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Because Holder is a Socialist, racist tool.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Getting a little testy I see. So you admit the only politicization going on here is the CRC’s investigation of Holder?

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Oh, and in case anyone forgot…

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Curious how you bailed out of that thread after Baxter Greene and BigOldDog started enlightening us with Inconvenient Truths about Ms. Thernstrom.

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Is your argument that any of that makes overt racism under Holder OK?

You approve of this then. That’s your argument here.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Shhhhhh. We’re not allowed to debate the merits of AA here. Might hurt somebody’s feelings.

AZCoyote on September 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Citing the WaPo as a credible link about anything Bush is pretty hilarious.

Del Dolemonte on September 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

It’s not politicization to want to remove a known racist from a position that involves enforcing laws that are connected to race.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Discuss.

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

That’s irrelevant. Career attorneys are there for numerous administrations. The attitude is entrenched, but Coates’ testimony notes that King and others appointed and promoted by the Obama/Holder DOJ had a specific policy of refusing to enforce the VRA in a racially neutral manner. This refusal is the atomosphere that led to the result in the NBPP case. Do you understand how government works (career v. political appointees) and did you actually read the testimony? It is available in full on several sites.

Firefly_76 on September 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

I just checked the major network news sites, nothing on this except for Fox. There’s a blackout in place so far. I suspect most people will never know this ever happened.

zmdavid on September 24, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Yaki is a toad.

tessa on September 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Do you also approve of Justice forbidding its employees to answer subpoenas?

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

The answers so for as well as the declinations pave the way for a serious set of subpoenas to several upper level DOJ liars
The answers are couched in layman’s terms.“you ask em”.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 24, 2010 at 12:14 PM

I just looked at CNN, MSNBC, FOX and Drudge’s websites for info about this. Guess what. FOX was the only one that had it, and they didn’t even make it very prominent. On the other hand they all had huge pictures or banners about Steven Colbert testifying on Capital Hill.

WTF!!!!!!! Who the hell cares what Colbert has to say about farming and immigration?

tempestleo on September 24, 2010 at 10:31 AM

So is Colbert a diversion from Coates?

“Oh, look, puppies!”

iurockhead on September 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Is Yaki re-litigating the NBPP case?

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Um, Yaki, he already noted that its the attempt at intimidation that is illegal.

mankai on September 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

What are the chances they break for lunch and Coates is the only one who returns?

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM

crr6 on September 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Look, the nozzle for Jimbo’s douchebag showed up right at noon.

Aviator on September 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

“There’s a blackout in place so far. I suspect most people will never know this ever happened.”
I email 20 or so who email even more so that cat is outa the bag,suggest do likewise.

Col.John Wm. Reed on September 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I don’t think it takes much to puzzle Mr. Yaki.

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Yaki is fascinated, puzzled, and whatnot.

Yaki strikes me as Captain Queeg looking for the strawberries.

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Coming this fall to a polling place near you ………..

Tea Party members brandishing a copy of the Constitution.

That should get Holder angry enough to start issuing subpoenas by the truckload.

fogw on September 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Yaki’s wrong. Wasn’t there a white civil rights guy who thought this was the worst case of intimidation he’d ever seen?

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Why would democrats complain because white republicans were being intimidated at polling places?

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Is Yaki listening to the answers or is he too busy trying to formulate questions to prove racism by Coates?

Eren on September 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM

I’m pretty sure that rabid old coot Lawrence Walsh has passed on but this would be a perfect time to appoint him as special prosecutor and tell him sleazy Eric Holder is actually Cap Weinberger in disguise.

viking01 on September 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM

crr6, I wouldn’t want you to defend me if I were black, brown, green, red or white.

Dr. King is turning in his grave. If you don’t get a clue about justice you should quit your intended profession now.

Schadenfreude on September 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Yaki is hinting at a reckless basis for the new Black Panther Party case.

For crying out loud. Talk about willing disbelief.

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM

ctmom on September 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Vast right-wing conspiracy.

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Eren on September 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM

It’s tough to question when you’re getting texts from Holder and from the WH.

BuckeyeSam on September 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Yaki is a former advisor to Nancy Pelosi. His partisanship shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Shay on September 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM

From Holder’s instatllation ceremony by Obama:

…There are few more important jobs in our nation’s government than that of Attorney General. As President, I swore an oath to preserve, protect and defend our Constitution. And as Eric himself has said, it is the Attorney General who serves as “the guardian of that revered document” that is the basis of our laws and the driving force of our democracy.

And that’s what’s always distinguished this nation — that we are bound together not by a shared bloodline or allegiance to any one leader or faith or creed, but by an adherence to a set of ideals. That’s the core notion of our founding — that ours is a “government of laws, and not men.” It is the motto inscribed on the library of my law school alma mater: “Not under man but under God and law…”

That’s about all I could stomach of this sham.

Fallon on September 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM