The Pledge: the first steps forward

posted at 11:36 am on September 23, 2010 by Ed Morrissey

Today is Pledge Day, when the house Republican Caucus releases their new “Pledge to America” that details the commitments they will make for the 112th Session of Congress, assuming as most do by now that they will run the show. The 21-page draft has been called “dreck” by my friend Erick Erickson, but perhaps a closer read and a consideration of context might be in order. It doesn’t contain complete solutions to the woes we currently face, but then again, Republicans controlling the House will have limited power to make those kinds of sweeping changes many want while Barack Obama remains in the White House, and certainly not enough votes to get constitutional amendments through either chamber even apart from Obama.

House Republicans put the preamble into a YouTube video, and CBS has the document online with Scribd:

GOP Pledge to America

After reading through this a couple of times, I’d call it the Two Year Plan, or perhaps the Guiding Principles for a Two Year Plan. People tend to forget (although Allahpundit didn’t) that the Contract With America was a rather short-term document, too — and became even more so once the effort to get term limits got dropped. The CWA was mostly about changing Congressional rules in the wake of a series of scandals to make Congress more accountable. This Pledge is far more about policy than process; in fact, it’s almost entirely a challenge to Obama and a promise to undo everything he’s done, and some of what George Bush did on top of it.

That’s not to say that it couldn’t have gone farther.  The plan calls for rolling back spending to a pre-bailout, pre-stimulus level, but that’s not going to be good enough to start reducing debt.  It won’t eliminate the current deficit, especially with the pledges for rolling back some of the Obama-era tax and fee hikes contained in the bill.  Spending would have to roll all the way back to FY2007 or FY2006 just to hit the break-even mark.  But here again, perhaps it’s good to remember to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  Rolling back to FY2008 levels (which is presumably what the HRC has in mind) would at least be going in the right direction, and may be all that the GOP can get if the Senate remains in Democratic hands and Obama wants to provoke another government shutdown.

Some of the rules and promises in the bill are rather gimmicky and obviously intended just to tweak Democrats.  Republicans propose a “must read” rule for voting on bills that would be difficult to enforce, even within their own caucus, for instance.  Voters need to hold their own Representatives accountable for ignorant vote-casting.  Demanding a Constitutional citation for every bill that hits the floor sounds like a great idea, but it would only mean a little more work to develop boilerplate language regarding the Commerce Clause to append to every bill.  The problem with Congress isn’t that they can’t make an argument for Constitutionality of their schemes, after all.  They mutter platitudes about the Commerce Clause and the “good and welfare clause” by rote, except for the clueless few who are foolish enough to admit they don’t care about controls on their power anyway.

The weekly spending-cut votes seem like another gimmick, but that may have more teeth than one would presume.  It’s actually a rather clever device to keep the grassroots engaged.  When controversial votes take place in either chamber, bloggers and talk radio flood Congressional offices with calls, hang on the outcomes, and publish the vote lists.  Having those on a weekly or otherwise regular basis isn’t a bad idea, and putting elected officials on the spot for spending reductions isn’t a bad idea either.  If the House sends a spending cut once a week to the Senate and/or the White House, they’ll either force Democrats to publicly oppose them or start signing off on some of the cuts — and either would be a pretty good development for small-government conservatives.

Don’t be too quick to dismiss this Pledge.  It’s not the alpha and omega of small-government goals, but it may at least be the alpha and beta of getting the process started.

Update: The final version of the pledge can be found here.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I LIKE IT!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Don’t be too quick to dismiss this Pledge.

Doesn’t talk about illegal’s, only talks about taxes to a point and does not give an idea about tax breaks other then they will try. Maybe it is me, but I am not going to hold my breath.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Democrat-Lite.

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I want a declaration of WAR- NOT a Goddamm pinky promise!!!!

abobo on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I would support a Read the Bill requirement, and then have a quiz before the vote. If a rep can’t show adequate knowledge of what the bill contains, they don’t get to vote.

Make the legislation shorter and clearer, and quit offering bills on every single thing they can think of.

Bishop on September 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I know, I know this doesn’t have anything to do with the new contract but damn you have to see this! Busted!! Ground Zero Imam Exposed Off-Mic!

Nearly Nobody on September 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM

Every journey has to start with the FIRST step. As long as the voting public remain engaged, and make ALL elected offices a revolving door, the Rs may finally get it.

belad on September 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM

I want a declaration of WAR- NOT a Goddamm pinky promise!!!!

abobo on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I agree.

milwife88 on September 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Yes,we have to have a starting point especially going into Nov. and 2012.It’s all well and good to camapign on what the dems have done but we need to be able to say but here is what we are going to do.

ohiobabe on September 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

Democrat-Lite.

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

someone smack me.. I agree with grow.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

‘Future of the Country Hangs in the Balance’
=================================================
Boehners speaks in the video!

Fox News(Video)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Milton Friedman proposed eliminating all but four (and a half) of our current federal agencies.

Goldwater proposed eliminating most, if not all, foreign aid.

Even Bush proposed real reforms to Social Security.

This? Namby pamby. Frum is right; they want the tea party votes but don’t have the guts to carry out any signifigant portions of the platform.

Yeah, I realize its a start. But if they start this milque-y and don’t follow through, will the tea party continue to return to the GOP like abused spouses?

Firefly_76 on September 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Reagan has risen.

publiuspen on September 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Vis-a-vie Waxman, some Reps don’t even read the bills they supposedly WROTE. Something is definitely wrong with this system, and to be honest, I’m much more interested in what they do AFTER the election than what they promise before.

“Don’t talk of love, don’t talk of flowers… SHOW ME!”

UnderstandingisPower on September 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

oh it’s NOT “Democrat-Lite”

geez

so let’s see…the Left is attacking this as TOO far Right, and some here are pretending to attack this as not far ENOUGH Right.

I think both groups haven’t even read the whole thing yet.

Justrand on September 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

It’s a good start. Obviously there’s a lot of room for improvement, but at least they’re showing a commitment to fiscal sanity. The real pledge will come in 2012 by whomever the GOP nominee is. That’s when they’ll have to ability to really change Washington.

Doughboy on September 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

21 pages? How about starting with two words: THE CONSTITUTION!
Doug Ross has a 1 page version that’s much more to the point.

Saul Alinsky on September 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

I want a declaration of WAR- NOT a Goddamm pinky promise!!!!
abobo on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Same here!

Where is ANY mention of adherence to our Constitution, and testing any new proposed law against its constitutionality?

rabidamerican on September 23, 2010 at 11:49 AM

someone smack me.. I agree with grow.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

*** whack **** there ya go! ;-)

Actually, I agree too. Rolling back spending to 2008 levels? WTF? We need to roll them back to about 1954 levels.

UltimateBob on September 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM

The lobbyists will still be crawling the halls of Congress continuing the corporate/Congressional monopoly of greed.

Without separating Wall Street/corporate interests from the Congress and it’s oversite and enforcement duties, I don’t see how anything will change.

Congress is in the same boat with the banking executives who pocketed bailout bonuses, strip them of their wealth, take them far out to sea in shark infested waters, sink it, and let them swim back to shore.

rickyricardo on September 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM

Whatever pledge is made, it will take a while to change the culture of Washington and the electorate, which have been taught for some time now that pork is good. This document moves toward changing that culture.

This is not up to the politicians, but up to us. We’re forcing them this far, so let’s keep it up.

beatcanvas on September 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM

They get`’IT’,give em`some time,
TRUST but VERIFY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM

someone smack me.. I agree with grow.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

SMACK! [internet style] :)

Request granted /s

lukespapa on September 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM

someone smack me.. I agree with grow.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I’m more tempted to get Sarah after you! Grow Brains is a fool. And a ‘rat.
:D

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Nothing about defunding the CZARS and agencies pushing all these progressive regulations and creating the hidden Gov. infrastructure.

DEFUND THE ‘REAL’ BEAST!

katy on September 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Did I miss the part about no more earmarks?

a capella on September 23, 2010 at 11:53 AM

UltimateBob on September 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM
lukespapa on September 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Oh, do it again! Damn Chowder thread!

As for 1954 standards. Wouldn’t that be kind of like 2004 levels due to inflation?

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ya know, we don’t need “pledges” and “contracts” and whatever other PR material…stuff like this should just be done without question. It’s a major part of why we elect those who we like.

I don’t need slick videos and empty promises…just do it!

JetBoy on September 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Every clock is right twice a day.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM

A ‘rat version would call for some fool ‘bill of rights’ for every idiotic constituency group and spending ‘investments’ and a whole lotta phony passion for the troops.

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I want a declaration of WAR- NOT a Goddamm pinky promise!!!!

Hear hear, perfectly said!!

topspin67 on September 23, 2010 at 11:56 AM

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I don’t mean “adjusted for inflation.” I mean, the actual dollar figure.

Just wishful thinking, I know.

UltimateBob on September 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Whatever pledge is made, it will take a while to change the Democrat culture of Washington and the Democrat electorate, which have been taught for some time now decades and decades that pork is good. This document moves toward changing that culture.

beatcanvas on September 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM

FIFY

Del Dolemonte on September 23, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM
================
someone smack me.. I agree with grow.

upinak on September 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM

upinak: For gawd sakes women….get a hold of yourself!
(kidding):)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I wonder what Rush thinks!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I want a declaration of WAR- NOT a Goddamm pinky promise!!!!

abobo on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM
I agree.

milwife88 on September 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Ditto. Why don’t they just follow the Constitution? Why do they have to have umpteen pages of a “pledge”? They can put all of this into 1 or 2 pages. Too much paper, SAVE A TREE! *snort*

sicoit on September 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Maybe I missed it. But where are the following pledges.

The pledge never to grant any form of illegal alien amnesty including backdoor approaches like the Dream Act?

The pledge to prosecute the bankers, complicit regulators and compliant politicians for the imploding our banking system and economy through “control fraud”?

Where is the pledge to claw back every nickel of the trillions extorted illegally from the American taxpayer to bailout the architects of the banking and economic implosion?

Where is the pledge to put the too big to fail banks, who are only alive by the fantasy accounting standards implemented at the behest of Congress and trillions of taxpayer handouts, out of business as they should be?

Where is the pledge to allow and make certain dead companies die and are not allowed to exist at an exorbitant cost to the U.S. economy?

It would be nice to have a party that truly advocates for the common man and the rule of law. Instead we have to choose the GOP, not because they are good or even adequate. But because they are the more benign choice of two cancers.

voiceofreason on September 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Democrat-Lite.

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

WHOA! Who are you and what did you do with Grow Fins?

sicoit on September 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Just another reason for a Third Party.

joshlbetts on September 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I wonder what Rush thinks!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM

You will find out at 11.

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

If the GOP does not produce a budget where revenue exceeds spending for the next twenty years, or longer, then the US debt will be paid off with worth less paper dollars.

Skandia Recluse on September 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

GOP to Tea Party:

You know, I’m so sorry I hurt you like that. I took you for granted, I treated you like dirt, I ignored you, I disrespected you. I am so very sorry.

But, I’ve changed. You’ve helped me to grow. I’m listening to you and I promise never to hurt you like that again. I care deeply about you. I understand you, and I know what you need.

I just need a little time to get my act together, you know. Its so hard to quit cold turkey. But I’m in a program, I’m committed and I’ve made a pledge. I’m really turning it around this time. With your help, I can really change. Trust me…

Firefly_76 on September 23, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I don’t need slick videos and empty promises…just do it!

JetBoy on September 23, 2010 at 11:55 AM

JetBoy: Speaking of pledges!:)
=========================================================

Otter’s Defense – Animal House

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I am completely engaged in this election, been working to take the House since last summer, and even I don’t want to read a 21 page committee written document. We need a one-page, less than 10 point program which starts with a personal pledge of transparent, ethical behavior by our representatives.

motionview on September 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM

They did not guite want to go as far as the Contract.

kingsjester on September 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM

That’s what you get for supporting a “ruling class” party. Again.

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:02 PM

Neidermeyer!

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

I still think it was Teh Won was his typical “o” self by co-opting the rolling out of the plan to bring America back from the brink of Marxism. Sooo typical. Time for some RUSH!

Key West Reader on September 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM
You will find out at 11.

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Lancemen:Yup,or about now!:)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:06 PM

There see………………………….

its not a crazy document!

-Rush Limbaigh!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM

I thought this was going to be a “major announcement.” Where’s the new logo? /

Fallon on September 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Bishop on September 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM

I like it—but they’ll just cheat on the tests.

FloatingRock on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Rush is rippin the “o”

Key West Reader on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

That’s what you get for supporting a “ruling class” party. Again.

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Pray tell how the Democrats are not a ruling class party?

Firefly_76 on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

its not a crazy document!

-Rush Limbaigh!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM

No one said it was crazy. It’s just vague as to exactly what and how.

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM

US Senate candidate Mark Kirk (Rino-IL) was interviewed by the AP, and they reported that. ‘…he wants to reverse the recent health care overhaul but said he probably wouldn’t pursue the idea immediately if elected.’

We’ve miles and miles yet to travel.

Sheerq on September 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Ugh,thats Limbaugh,apologies Rush!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Wishy-washy with lots of wiggle room and interpretation.

albill on September 23, 2010 at 12:11 PM

There are no solutions. That is why everyone is disappointed.

Even tax cuts aren’t the magical solution, and voters know that.

They certainly don’t want what we’re seeing from the Dem agenda, but the reality is?

The idea that tax cuts will magically create jobs is equally not believed.

AnninCA on September 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:07 PM
======================
No one said it was crazy. It’s just vague as to exactly what and how.

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Lanceman: Rush just said twice now,in his own words,
Not a Crazy Document,not my words!!:)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Rush is rippin the “o”

Key West Reader on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Key West Reader: And how!!:)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Let’s not push too hard on this folks. All we really maybe need from the Republicans at this moment is something they can use to respond to Bammie’s charge that Republicans have no ideas. There should be nothing controversial enough in there that the democratics can use it to break the momentum that we have built up.

Even that is debatable, we might be just as well off if they did nothing as a group until after the election. Pledges like this have more potential at the House and Senate levels where they can be tailored to local problems.

slickwillie2001 on September 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

abobo on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM, hear! hear!

SilentWatcher on September 23, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Neidermeyer!

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM

Lanceman:Those were funny parts,especially the horse
keeling over,haha!!:)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Many: “We want the Republicans to start governing! We want Republicans to roll back what Obama has done! We want Republicans to be champions of small government! We want Republicans to LEAD!”

Democrats: “Yeah, you don’t like us?! Well, what do you think the Republicans are going to do? What alternatives do they offer?!”

Republicans: “Well, we’ll start with this Pledge…”

Many: “NOT ENOUGH! Where is X provision and Y provision and Z provision…!”

Democrats: “Yeah! Just more platitudes! Just more of the same Republican blah, blah, blah…!”

Republicans: “We do need to do more, but this is a starting point. These 21 items…”

Many: “I’m whiny and want my stuff NOW, you know, just like the Liberal electorate always bitching about how they aren’t getting everything they have ever been promised right at this moment – GIMME, GIMME, GIMME…!”

Democrats: “hehehehehehehe…”

catmman on September 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Such fu*king moronic drama.

Whichever party is in power behaves EXACTLY like this thing whines and whines and whines about.

Same old turd sandwich, only this time the GOP is serving it up.

Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

This is not even a step forward. It’s more common sense.

This doc is like saying the sky is blue, when you are trying to build the first airplane.

faraway on September 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM

I like it—but they’ll just cheat on the tests.
FloatingRock on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Make it an oral exam, live on C-Span.

They want to craft a monster 1,000 page bill, fine, but they better be able to identify the major sections.

Bishop on September 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Such fu*king moronic drama.
Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

You are really beating your new word to death.

Bishop on September 23, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Rush is rippin the “o”

Key West Reader on September 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

He’s been going at it all week.That hispanic speech last week was very telling.

ohiobabe on September 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Such fu*king moronic drama.
Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I’ve said it befoah, and I’ll say it again – Canadians are stupid.

Except for canopfor:)

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Promising start.

keepinitreal on September 23, 2010 at 12:22 PM

I see the memo has gone out (Drywall/Grow Fins) to sow dissension and dissappointment in hopes we will be less engaged on Nov. 2. Not gonna happen, no matter how much I may dislike the GOP establishment.

Firefly_76 on September 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM

eh. Anybody can take a pledge. They all took a pledge to preserve and defend the constitution, and look where that got us. I like the way the pledge is worded but we have to come up with some way of enforcing consequences if pledges are broken.

pappy on September 23, 2010 at 12:28 PM

The idea that tax cuts will magically create jobs is equally not believed.

AnninCA on September 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM

The object is to stop the uncertainty in the climate for job creation. Maintaining the cuts for all taxpayers allows businesses to plan. Congress does not have the right to pick and choose winners and losers.

The maintenance of tax cuts and the lessening of burdensome regulation will grow jobs. Cutting federal spending will lessen the deficit.

This is a good plan, and its rollout already has the Dems in a tizzy. It speaks to all Americans, not just to Republicans. It is a beginning. Legislating the details for success are part of a promising future.

onlineanalyst on September 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM

It was lukewarm. It sounded school boyish. If you’re going to come out with a convincing pledge about the state of our union and what you’re going to do about it, make a it a bold one, load it up with some testosterone. Not impressed, we’ve heard all this before.

scalleywag on September 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Firefly_76 on September 23, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Can’t say this about the rank and file Republican voters, but the Tea Party people have their eyes wide open and their fingers on the eject button.
What’s great about the Tea Party not having a centralized and recognized leader is that the libs don’t quite know who to demonize or how to shut it down.

Extrafishy on September 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM

LOL…this ought to keep the D-heads fixated until November at least!

Christien on September 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Same old turd sandwich, only this time the GOP is serving it up.

Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Dave Rywall: Brilliant comments from the otherside of
the Canadian aisle in LiberalLand from my
fellow countrymen!

Ugh!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Here we go again with re-writing the Constitution.

Stop already.

Moesart on September 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Except for canopfor:)

Lanceman on September 23, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Lanceman:—-:)

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Even though declarations of Tar & Feathering or the guillotine for all Dems would be more uplifting for we “Bastille Stormers” (LOL), it’s better than nothing and a change in the right direction. Vive la revolucion!

JimP on September 23, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Democrat-Lite.

Grow Fins on September 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

..Grow Fins == “Dumb Ass” lite.

The War Planner on September 23, 2010 at 12:52 PM

This is fine. It’s about as specific you can get in a national document, if you’re talking about electing House and Senate members.

These are good quality ideology free principles for the most part, and good quality conservative principles just about everywhere else.

That’s what individual House members need to get elected. More specifics, or more hard-line conservative statements would make it harder, not easier, for some of them to get elected. Individuals can decide on their own how much (if any) farther they want to go than specified by the national document.

Chris of Rights on September 23, 2010 at 12:57 PM

At this point, a dead capitalist up to his ears in marsh water would be a positive step forward, so, as documents go, this is welcomed.

Consider the alternative.

Nevertheless, any reformation should require more.

nico on September 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I waited 2 years for this, and I think it’s a great start.

John the Libertarian on September 23, 2010 at 1:05 PM

How about a simple 100-year moratorium on new laws except for laws that solely repealed old laws?

fossten on September 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM

fossten on September 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Just one new law?

Congressional term limits.

No more corpses decomposing on the Senate floor.

No more thieves on a 30-year embezzlement tour.

Arrogance comes with permanence.

nico on September 23, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Um, 21 pages? really?

IMHO, it should have been the following.

1) Repeal Obamacare
2) Repeal Obamacare
3) Make Tax cuts perminent
4) Repeal Obamacare
5) Repeal Obamacare

Sinner on September 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Contract with America redux. Maybe the Democrats are right – the Republican Party does not have any new ideas.

tballard on September 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM

The check is in the mail.

DDT on September 23, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Um, 21 pages? really?

IMHO, it should have been the following.

1) Repeal Obamacare
2) Repeal Obamacare
3) Make Tax cuts perminent
4) Repeal Obamacare
5) Repeal Obamacare

Sinner on September 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM
——
Making the tax cuts “perminent” is amazingly short sighted and stupid.

Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM

There is but one pledge that should be adopted:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

If they can stay true to this one, many of our ills will fade.

BKeyser on September 23, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Um, 21 pages? really?

IMHO, it should have been the following.

1) Repeal Obamacare
2) Repeal Obamacare
3) Make Tax cuts perminent
4) Repeal Obamacare
5) Repeal Obamacare

Sinner on September 23, 2010 at 1:17 PM

I hate to break it to you. They’re going to repeal and replace. And they’re including some of the better ObamaCare stuff (although I’m not sure exactly what they mean by the “prior coverage” weasel words–does that mean that someone who has an employer plan can’t be dropped if they cease being an employee or that someone who had an employer plan can’t be denied coverage if the want to buy a policy in the individual market, for instance).

Ensure Access for Patients with Pre-
Existing Conditions

Health care should be accessible for all,
regardless of pre-existing conditions or past
illnesses.

We will expand state high-risk
pools, reinsurance programs and reduce the
cost of coverage. We will make it illegal for
an insurance company to deny coverage to
someone with prior coverage on the basis of
a pre-existing condition, eliminate annual
and lifetime spending caps, and prevent
insurers from dropping your coverage just
because you get sick.
We will incentivize
states to develop innovative programs that
lower premiums and reduce the number of
uninsured Americans.

Jimbo3 on September 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Making the tax cuts “perminent” is amazingly short sighted and stupid.

Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM

You’re from Canada, right? How about you STFU about what happens with our money?

Don’t you have moose or free speech adherents to hunt or something?

nico on September 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM

fossten on September 23, 2010 at 1:10 PM

So no laws to reduce taxes or to pass budgets or to declare war or to change Social Security or Medicare? I think you need to think that through more carefully.

Jimbo3 on September 23, 2010 at 1:29 PM

Don’t you have moose or free speech adherents to hunt or something?

nico on September 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM

nico:Rywall is a Canadian Lib,love your logic tho,lol!!

canopfor on September 23, 2010 at 1:37 PM

I think its a great start. They are at least committing themselves to a certain path that speaks directly to a lot of the concerns of the Tea Party. I think it was brilliant to not drill down to far and give the Dems some political candy over the next 6 or 7 weeks to use as campaign material. I think they all know we are now watching and a lot of the language in this document show that.

New Patriot on September 23, 2010 at 1:43 PM

[I]t may at least be the alpha and beta….

Ed, please tell me that’s not Greek for solid B+.

Barnestormer on September 23, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Don’t you have moose or free speech adherents to hunt or something?

nico on September 23, 2010 at 1:26 PM
——–
Hey look – a dipsh*t on an anonymous web board has crying fit over something.

Dave Rywall on September 23, 2010 at 1:48 PM